Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,402 members, 7,954,595 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:07 AM

Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English - Jokes Etc (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English (78051 Views)

Where Are My English Lords? Translate This Pidgin To Standard English (photo) / Pls Help Translate This Pidgen English To Proper English / How Will You Say This In Correct English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Alexmania: 8:59pm On Nov 15, 2012
Jazzgreen: By how many years are u older dan me?
very close, if nt correct
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Nobody: 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
Wallie:

Oga teacha, you're wrong sir!

1. Who said starting a question with "You are" is not proper? Na which rule be dat?
2. I would think someone ruining around as a self-appointed teacha will know that some words have multiple meanings.

Definition of SENIOR

1: a person older than another <five years my senior>
2 a : a person with higher standing or rank
b : a senior fellow of a college at an English university
c : a student in the year preceding graduation from a school of secondary or higher level
3 capitalized : a member of a program of the Girl Scouts for girls in the 9th through 12th grades in school
4: senior citizen

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/senior
I don't need to argue with you but this is the basic rule of asking questions in English Language:

The basic rule for asking questions in English is straightforward: Invert the order of the subject and the first auxiliary verb

example: The car is moving? (wrong). Is the car moving?(right)

Where in your connotation does anything suggest age a person has lived in comparison to the other person? It only points to five years as regarding elder person more or less the five years as something to rank him with as older. Using Senior in 'more than' is not acceptable.

It is more of a rank than age. Seriously you are taking it on a wrong context. English language has a convention or rather rules which most be followed concerning grammar! I think you need to check it very well to uderstand why I said senior is about rank not age - in this context.
lipsrsealed
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by king100(m): 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
You are older than me, by how many years?

1 Like

Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by MarioHeaven(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
How old are you ahead of me?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by ceospecial(m): 9:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
k00lxpert:

My Nokia phone came with the original battery!
u dull! The Correct ansa is #MY NOKIA PHONE IS ORIGINAL BATTERY FOLLOWED COME!LOL
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Adeks(m): 9:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
binger: By how much are you older than me?
This is the most CORRECTEST. grin grin grin
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by kulex124(m): 9:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
Whats the age differences between both of us.
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by ceospecial(m): 9:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
justi4jesu: please house also see if you can translate this pidgin to English

"E DON TEY WEY DAY BREAK
'"
the Day have been long broken!lwkmd
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Sketch007(m): 9:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
candieangel12: How many more years are you older than me with?

CAPITAL ERROR !!! LWBMT

CAPITAL ERROR !!! LWBMT

CAPITAL ERROR !!! LWBMT
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Adeks(m): 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2012
ceospecial: the Day have been long broken!lwkmd
Oooohhh boy!!! na grammar be dis
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Pakavy(m): 9:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
Thou are older than me by how many seasons
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by fiercehillz(m): 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2012

"E DON TEY WEY DAY BREAK
'"

It has been a long day
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by idinc(m): 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2012
ur age and my age re mates? ...Lmao
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Neelzar(f): 9:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
What is the age difference between you and me?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
maskid:

so wat are u trying to say?? BY HOW 'MANY' ARE YOU OLDER THAN ME.!!!!

ABEG refer to your Dictionary jor.. you cnt say MANY without specifying wether it is weeks, days or years...

unless u have chosen an absolute unit of measurement (in years). but in this case it is unknown just as the number of liters in water is unknown (uncountable).

so think twice before u Second-guess me...

THANK U!!
yeah, you clearly didn't understand what I meant by "the correct thing is "how many" whether it is days, weeks or years."...meaning it can be how many days, how many weeks, how many years. I didn't think that would be too hard for you to understand.
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by habayommy: 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2012
No Qualms: Check this out -

YAM WEY DON DONE DON DONE
The Yam that is done is done undecided

1 Like

Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Revolva(m): 10:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
How much are you older than me?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by idinc(m): 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
hw many yrs old is ur age older dan my age...
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by endy4oxide(m): 10:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
what i the difference in our age
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Adeks(m): 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2012

"E DON TEY WEY DAY BREAK
'"
It's been long since dawn or it's been long since the break of the day
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Sarky(m): 10:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
How many years are you more seniorer than me. Hahahahahaha
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Wallie(m): 11:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
all4naija: I don't need to argue with you but this is the basic rule of asking questions in English Language:

The basic rule for asking questions in English is straightforward: Invert the order of the subject and the first auxiliary verb

example: The car is moving? (wrong). Is the car moving?(right)

Where in your connotation does anything suggest age a person has lived in comparison to the other person? It only points to five years as regarding elder person more or less the five years as something to rank him with as older. Using Senior in 'more than' is not acceptable.

It is more of a rank than age. Seriously you are taking it on a wrong context. English language has a convention or rather rules which most be followed concerning grammar! I think you need to check it very well to uderstand why I said senior is about rank not age - in this context.
lipsrsealed

Na me you dey cite basic rules against? (jk)

The basic rule you stated is exactly that, basic! Basic rules are for those learning the language. Is this the site you got the stuff you wrote from? grin http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/questions1/menu.php

On a serious note, have you heard about "tag questions"? Here’s what wiki had to say about tag questions.

A question tag or tag question is a grammatical structure in which a declarative statement or an imperative is turned into a question by adding an interrogative fragment (the "tag"wink. For example, in the sentence "You're John, aren't you?", the statement "You're John" is turned into a question by the tag "aren't you". The term "question tag" is generally preferred by British grammarians, while their American counterparts prefer "tag question".

Example: You jumped the gun on what I posted earlier, didn't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_question

I honestly don't understand all the stuff you wrote about context vs senior. What I said earlier is very clear and just so we don't lose sight of it, I'll post it again:

Since the question implies that the person asking the question thinks the listener is older, here's one of the more accurate translations:

You are how many years my senior?

If I were talking to someone on the street, why would the person think of rank?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
Wallie:

Na me you dey cite basic rules against? (jk)

The basic rule you stated is exactly that, basic! Basic rules are for those learning the language. Is this the site you got the stuff you wrote from? grin http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/questions1/menu.php

On a serious note, have you heard about "tag questions"? Here’s what wiki had to say about tag questions.

Example: You jumped the gun on what I posted earlier, didn't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_question

I honestly don't understand all the stuff you wrote about context vs senior. What I said earlier is very clear and just so we don't lose sight of it, I'll post it again:

If I were talking to someone on the street, why would the person think of rank?
Yes! I posted that because you said there is no rule for asking questions in English! Is there anything wrong with that link? That is where you erred at first.

Now, on the tag thing still follows the basic rule of invert the order of the subject and the first auxiliary verb in a sense. From your example 'You're John, aren't you?'(is not proper)but 'Aren't you John?'(Proper) is different from ' You are John?' or 'You're John?' . Please, go and get your English language grammar books. The same Wikipedia you quoted states : In most languages, tag questions are more common in colloquial spoken usage than in formal written usage .

If you were on the street not in this context of 'more than'

There is no need of arguing with you because you are bent on arguing for argument sake!

1 Like

Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by lilmaydee(m): 11:15pm On Nov 15, 2012
Na wa oo! see as fellow Nairalanders dey murder English. My belle nearly burst from laughing. Anyway, the correct translation is "what is our age difference".
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by circular(m): 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2012

"E DON TEY WEY DAY BREAK
'"
It's been long since dawn
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by xbone2k6: 11:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
what is the interval between my age and yours?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
What is our age difference?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by puntersmind: 11:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
achi4u: Do u think am still a small boy...infact hw years do you think i take senior you sef?grin
You be real 'achi'. Lol
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by MaryRose27: 12:16am On Nov 16, 2012
How many years more are you older than I?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by sambos994(m): 12:28am On Nov 16, 2012
How much older are you?
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by Iceslizer(f): 12:32am On Nov 16, 2012
I cant fit to stop laughing.....you guys are simply hilarious grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Translate This Pidgin English To Correct English by riqblaze(m): 12:35am On Nov 16, 2012
nxanadu: how old did u use to older than me

olodo 'el magnifeco

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Photo Of A Man Sleeping Inside A Bathtub Filled With Water / When You Force Your Husband To Go To A Vigil with you. / When You Tell An Aba Girl To Send Her Best Picture (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.