Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp (44348 Views)

Here Are Photos Of Corpers Being Punished In Camp / Interesting Experiences Of Corpers Serving In Remote Villages / Picture Of Corpers (ladies) Fighting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by patholaw: 3:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
ghettodreamz: Oga oooo..No doubt, soldiers are deadly animals...

Omo na serious offense ooooo, but is kneeling down the NEXT thing? She was being careless to have lost her wedding ring, must everybody pay for her carelessness?

@Soldiers.... Serious, abomination.. Yeepa! *SmdhSeriously* undecided undecided

@OP; Next time this kind of thing happens, tell the commandant you are not serving any punishment cuz your dad is a Lieutenant Colonel @ Nigerian Army and don't forget 2 holla @ me... grin grin grin grin
lieutenant colonel....wen bridg Gen. Pikin dey serve job common lieutenant con.pikin dey talk mtcheew
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by elampiro(m): 3:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
maxpro-xl:
No big deal nah. Durin my days at iyana ipaja camp in lagos, we were forced to sit on bare floor for long hours under the hot sun. Soldiers flogged some corpers eating at the mammy market while parade was on.
I only used ten days on camp due to my business but that period was very unpleasant, l saw soldiers tearin trousers of female corpers with scissors on their body just because its a customised type. Some soldiers busted female hostels while they were bathing rushin them out for the mornin parade.

To me nysc is crap and shld be srapd. Its just a means for the govt to embezzle funds. Do u know that the budget for each corpers uniform is 75,000 and all u get is a set of poor quality clothes. Not to mention the food and hostel condition. A soldier flogged a corper in one of the south eastern states few years ago and she later died. Its so sad and painful

Imagine! Yet people are celebrating it as a normal thing for soldier to dehumanized graduates. I am so so surprised.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by sagbar(m): 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
Hayjaycity:

Shey na Nigeria here you they regard graduates as future leaders, okay, so when will they climb the mantle of leadership o....#SMH for naija o
whether u like it or not,we still have future leaders among them while not condemning totally the spirit of sanity and discipline been meted out by the soldiers
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
elampiro: This never happened during my time.

It is strange that graduates are dehumanised like this, it is even more strange that almost everyone here accepted this as normal.
I served in Ipaja camp Lagos, those days the soldier gave us our due respects as graduates. They knew their limits. How did it degenerate to this level?

Perhaps the NYSC coordinators are no longer in charge lof their duties. We are talking of graduates here. I didn't for once heard anyone got flogged or did frog jump or made to kneel down for any reason. I knew corp members were summoned to the their the authorities offices, but non came to give report of corporal punishment.

I am so surprised that graduate are meant to kneel down and raise their hands under the sun. I am not sure the governors are aware of this. As far as my memory can take me back, no soldier came into our hall at night. We were never waken up at odd hours.

I think there is more to this these days. The soldiers are really having a field day.
Bro, after reading through the comments, I'm shocked as well. How can adults and graduates for that matter be punished like they're still in secondary school? It is appalling to say the least, no form of respect whatsoever. This is just a gross insult.

4 Likes

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by dabossman(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2012
cute9ja: this is not a big deal at all. infact there is absolutely nothing wrong in this picture. i am a batch B corp member in oyo state, and when i got into camp in July, the first day we were told that our hands, legs, bodies will be their's in the 3 weeks period of orientation.

it's a military setting in NYSC camp, and graduates are drilled according to this, so why can't they be punished?

I have seen worse punishments!!!!

it's just for 3 weeks so no big deal, and besides the military guys always reduce their gra-gra and get friendly towards the end of camp, like in the final week, so pls get over it.

Help me tell them o. Even a commissioned officer goes thru hell in the hands of a drill sergeant before he is commissioned. But once he is decorated as a 2nd Lieutenant he becomes the sergeant's superior.

The 3 weeks orientation is for para-military training and you will be treated as if you are in the army your degree notwithstanding. Even kids in summer bootcamp won't whine like this.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by BarryX(m): 3:23pm On Nov 18, 2012
elampiro: Please people should stop saying these things are normal. This is dehumanizing, and it is abnormal. It is a shame to the corp member who cannot complain about this to the coordinator and the press.

Never, never and never did I see one single person treated this way during my time. Not one, and I mean it. The soldiers are really having undue power these days and taking advantage of corp members.

It is normal now and honestly I don't see it as dehumanising as being touted because at the end of the day , the soldiers and the corp members still sit down and laugh about what transpired, I haven't really seen any para-military training or any training of such that is rosy and for people expecting to be treated like royalty because they are "graduates" is a misnomer factoring in how many unemployed graduates we have roaming around!!**Abeg let the dudes have their day for the three weeks, all should advise is doing with a moral and human face** kapish
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by elampiro(m): 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
dabossman:

Help me tell them o. Even a commissioned officer goes thru hell in the hands of a drill sergeant before he is commissioned. But once he is decorated as a 2nd Lieutenant he becomes the sergeant's superior.

The 3 weeks orientation is for para-military training and you will be treated as if you are in the army your degree notwithstanding. Even kids in summer bootcamp won't whine like this.

It looks like you are a soldier man.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by jamesbridget13(f): 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
Na turn by turn o. It was my turn on march 2012 when 1 of my hostel mate didn't stand still when d nigeria asleep bigule
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by elampiro(m): 3:38pm On Nov 18, 2012
BarryX: It is normal now and honestly I don't see it as dehumanising as being touted because at the end of the day , the soldiers and the corp members still sit down and laugh about what transpired, I haven't really seen any para-military training or any training of such that is rosy and for people expecting to be treated like royalty because they are "graduates" is a misnomer factoring in how many unemployed graduates we have roaming around!!**Abeg let the dudes have their day for the three weeks, all should advise is doing with a moral and human face** kapish

Must they be made to knee and raise their hands under the sun? The early morning wake up time at 4.30 or 5.00 am for exercise is itself drilling. The jogging, then you go for marching and return for evening games. I am a sports person, these things (exercises) were normal to me. I really enjoyed camp. But if I may ask, how does this 'punishments' or drillings help for job hunt as you suggest? As for me, I wans't made to go through this things, yet I hustled a good job. I hustled my place of primary assignment myself, got a reposting and eventually retained there- in a bank.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by chinedum13(m): 3:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
Super1759: Hahahahahha. This pix reminds me of the chaos I caused when I was in camp.
Normally,10pm is light out. So me and my guys were gisting and I suddenly gave a loud roar of laughter, I didn't even notice the commandant was at the hostel door.
"Quiet every one here" we were at the extreme,we ignored him(we thought he ws a mere soldier).
The next we had was " everyone jump out,on your knees"
At that point,people start trooping out kneeling down on the hard rock, I realised say wahala deh, I sneaked inbetween a ghana-must-go and a cupboard by my bedside,unseen. All other people went out,on their knees and asked to walk to the field, that's the highest punishment I have ever seen, people's knees were bruised and some were crying like baby(even my guy). when they got to the field,they were asked to produced the noise maker, one aboki volunteered to find me, he couldn't find me in the crowd. They were again asked to roll to the next post,until they produce me (they know me very well but can't say how I disappeared),I was peeping from the window. So when the commandant noticed their innocency, he said "that boy must be a crook,he must have sneaked away" he collected my name and platoon number.
To cut the story short,I was on the run till the camp fire night,when I went to him. I gave him a grEen bottle and we became cool friends(I still have his number now), my platoon commandant will always signal me when they come to look for me in the field. No be small thing, that's the highest fun I had.
grin grin ;Dsharp guy cheesy cheesy
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by Lollycutie(f): 3:43pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039: If I hear say I kneel down
Na koboko 4 ur back and boot 4 ur leg
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by dabossman(m): 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2012
elampiro:

It looks like you are a soldier man.

I'm not, but I did my primary assignment on a military base after the 3 weeks camp. We were afforded officers status because we were graduates and even old sergeants respected us. I often felt embarrassed when grandfathers called me 'sir' or served me at the officer's mess.

But in that one year I got to appreciate the discipline and the intricacies of the chain of command. Young Lieutenants who were my mates treated us as equals. Your graduate degree is actual respected in the military set up, but not when you are in training, be it short service or NYSC.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by pressongodsay(m): 3:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
na inside field dem even kneel down put una don dey complain. U never see where col go tel captain 4 NA make he seat on his head 4 parade ground. Na d standard b dat.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by bolayei: 3:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
THIS IS CRAZY...NIGERIA IS IN TROUBLE THIS IS ONE GENERATION OF NIGERIANS BEING OPPRESSED AT THIS TIME AND AGE,IMAGING HOW LONG AGO FELA SANG "SO POLICE MAN GO SLAP YOUR FACE YOU NO GO TALK..ARMY MAN GO WHIP YOUR YARNSH YOU GO DEY LOOK LIKE DUNDEE, THESE ARE EDUCATED PEOPLE ATLEAST DEGREE AND THEY CANT ALL STAND AS ONE AND SAY NO TO THIS OPPRESSION I CAN IMAGINE THE LESS EDUCATED TAKING IT ALL THE WAY. THAT SOJA HAVE TO BE SUED FOR INTIMIDATION AND ALOT OF OTHER CHARGES THIS NA GENOCIDE SECOND COUSIN IN A WAY. SE CONFRA GUYS NO DEY SERVE FOR THERE? I SWEAR IF I WAS THERE "I GO CARRY BAG FOR THE GUY HEAD AS XYZ lipsrsealed
lekzwyc: Here in Delta state, we have been subjected to undeserve punishment from these so called soldiers. A girl lost her wedding ring in her hostel, she reported to OBS (orientation broadcasting service) before we knew it everybody were asked to kneel down under the sun like nursery school student. We call it "buying job". Every little offence here na frog jump we go dey do...ehhh!!! double! double!...I tire ooo
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 18, 2012
k2039: If I hear say I kneel down
My guy, no one will tell you before you kneel when you see beating, you no go believe say na nysc camp you dey
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by elampiro(m): 4:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
dabossman:

I'm not, but I did my primary assignment on a military base after the 3 weeks camp. We were afforded officers status because we were graduates and even old sergeants respected us. I often felt embarrassed when grandfathers called me 'sir' or served me at the officer's mess.

But in that one year I got to appreciate the discipline and the intricacies of the chain of command. Young Lieutenants who were my mates treated us as equals. Your graduate degree is actual respected in the military set up, but not when you are in training, be it short service or NYSC.

Ok.

My only worry is that what I read here is different from what I experienced. I don't like that picture where graduates knelt down and raised their hands like primary school pupils.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by samyng(m): 4:05pm On Nov 18, 2012
mko abiola: Lol.
Na normal tin b ds .
Sojas will alwys use force on u.
I xperience same tin,wen I was in d camp.
A colleague lost hs fone in my hostel,den I was d hostel marshal.
I repoted to d sojas,de didn't tak action dat day,d 3rd day,dey bursted our hostel wit their usual gra gra,dey ask for d hostel marshal,dey woke me up by 1am.
All corpmembers kneel down outside till d following morning,I search all d 99 bags in d hostel bt we cudnt see d fone.I will nva forget dat day.we no sleep dat day,lol
Bt dey pardon only me cos I was d hostel marshal checking all d bags.

This reminds me of what happened in ogun state NYSC camp 2011.. As its the same
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by wiegraf: 4:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
BarryX: It is normal now and honestly I don't see it as dehumanising as being touted because at the end of the day , the soldiers and the corp members still sit down and laugh about what transpired, I haven't really seen any para-military training or any training of such that is rosy and for people expecting to be treated like royalty because they are "graduates" is a misnomer factoring in how many unemployed graduates we have roaming around!!**Abeg let the dudes have their day for the three weeks, all should advise is doing with a moral and human face** kapish

These were not drills, the excuse was someone stole a ring. Maybe the ring was even lost, not stolen. For that all of them were dragged out for this. So, did they expect the thief to crack from the pressure of kneeling down? I doubt that, s/he was probably smiling inwardly through the episode. Just like the poster above who was happy he made all his friends suffer for him because he was selfishly inconsiderate. To prove my point about encouraging silly behavior someone quotes him then calls him a 'sharp guy'. Or maybe the soldiers reasoned that this punishment will prevent future thefts? If so, kindly show me how.

Disregarding the above, the whole thing is just silly. Even if you had to do this nysc thing for whatever reasons, if you treat people like animals, they will act like animals. What have they learned from this? What is all this supposed to do for them? You're telling me those professional yes men can teach them a thing or two? Like what, saying 'yessir'? Or becoming a zombie? Or harass a whole brigade because a ring went missing? Are we at war with anyone? What exactly has the nysc accomplished that we spend the little cash we have on this exercise? Teaching you how to suffer? It's by force to suffer now? If you enjoy suffering, good for you. I don't see why those that don't are forced to participate.

No worry, I go leave una for dis folly. Make I go do something productive

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by dabossman(m): 4:14pm On Nov 18, 2012
In fact, I dare say that the one place where your university degree gets you any respect in this country is in the military (if you sign up that is).

In corporate Nigeria nobody sends your B.Sc, B.A or whatever. You will stand, sit, squat and kneel in that same hot sun just because you want to write a bank or oil coy test. Why don't you walk up to the recruiters and tell them "hey, I'm a graduate men! Get me a comfortable chair and seat me in an airconditioned room"

Definitely flogging is unacceptable, but basic drills, as tedious as they may be, is no biggie.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by BarryX(m): 4:17pm On Nov 18, 2012
elampiro:

Must they be made to knee and raise their hands under the sun? The early morning wake up time at 4.30 or 5.00 am for exercise is itself drilling. The jogging, then you go for marching and return for evening games. I am a sports person, these things (exercises) were normal to me. I really enjoyed camp. But if I may ask, how does this 'punishments' or drillings help for job hunt as you suggest? As for me, I wans't made to go through this things, yet I hustled a good job. I hustled my place of primary assignment myself, got a reposting and eventually retained there- in a bank.
I sincerely doubt I meant that. But all the same, I congratulate you for hustling your PPA which of course I know is against the NYSC bye-laws and most definitely some serious lobbying or money changing hands would have influence your placement BTW , there is hope* *smiles**

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by Daresh(f): 4:25pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: Some of these corpers are people's parents. i wonder how their kids will feel seeing their parents being dehumanized like this. We too overdo for this country sef.

Abegi! I dont see how this is dehumanizing. Just to kneel down. These soldier are tough and they train u like a soldier. I went to camp, it was mad annoying, but its just camp, 3 weeks, I coped so will they
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by Ericmillion(m): 4:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
Dats big nonesense,dos nysc guys could not stand up 4 rit nd justice,dey were weak.in dis time of social nd economic erosion it nt easy to b a graduate,i cannot imagine a sodier dat does nt even av ssce result askin me to kneel.nonesense.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by ik121: 4:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
If ds's a joke d beta stp it. Wit my status i cnt picture mysef bn subjected 2 any inhuman treatment by any gadamn soldier wn v dun no rong. It's lyk ds soldiers nva c strong head sef. Soja gbakwa oku. Mtsheww
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by TrustJ(m): 4:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
Ericmillion: Dats big nonesense,dos nysc guys could not stand up 4 rit nd justice,dey were weak.in dis time of social nd economic erosion it nt easy to b a graduate,i cannot imagine a sodier dat does nt even av ssce result askin me to kneel.nonesense.
guy man take it easy o...bt dos nysc guys were weak shal...
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by BarryX(m): 4:44pm On Nov 18, 2012
wiegraf:

These were not drills, the excuse was someone stole a ring. Maybe the ring was even lost, not stolen. For that all of them were dragged out for this. So, did they expect the thief to crack from the pressure of kneeling down? I doubt that, s/he was probably smiling inwardly through the episode. Just like the poster above who was happy he made all his friends suffer for him because he was selfishly inconsiderate. To prove my point about encouraging silly behavior someone quotes him then calls him a 'sharp guy'. Or maybe the soldiers reasoned that this punishment will prevent future thefts? If so, kindly show me how.

Disregarding the above, the whole thing is just silly. Even if you had to do this nysc thing for whatever reasons, if you treat people like animals, they will act like animals. What have they learned from this? What is all this supposed to do for them? You're telling me those professional yes men can teach them a thing or two? Like what, saying 'yessir'? Or becoming a zombie? Or harass a whole brigade because a ring went missing? Are we at war with anyone? What exactly has the nysc accomplished that we spend the little cash we have on this exercise? Teaching you how to suffer? It's by force to suffer now? If you enjoy suffering, good for you. I don't see why those that don't are forced to participate.

No worry, I go leave una for dis folly. Make I go do something productive
The first bolded statement hit me like you are not Nigerian of which I know Ɣøû are ..I tend to understand from my Nigerian life experience that you saying we have " LITTLE CASH" is a big fat lie , money allocated to NYSC annually for the quarterly programmes cannot be equated to what 109 senators spend in a month notwithstanding the population of corp members to that . The second bolded "folly" statement makes me think you are not an Ex-Otondoh.... * First of all go down low*
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by pheliciti: 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
CrazyMan: They are graduates....our future leaders...the soldiers should at least show them some respect.
Agreed the soldiers should show them more respect, however they also need to decide that they cannot be subjected to dehumanising punishment. It's a shame that graduates on whom the future of he country depend can in their multitude be told to kneel by just a few persons and they will sheepishly obey. These are things to reject just for the mere principle of it.
During my orientation at Ipaja, in 1995, we were made to line up for a parade in honour of the then Minister for Youth and Sport, Jim Nwobodo. The parade was scheduled for 9 am, an extension of the morning drill which started at 5.30 am. The Minister did not show up and we tried to appeal to the reasoning of the soldiers to allow us take breakfast. They refused and we dispersed without their consent when it started raining.
The Minister eventually showed up around 12.30 and the soldiers asked us to reassemble in the rain and without breakfast. Of course we refused. The soldiers came at us with sticks and whips and at that time, we had no hesitation in calling the Minister 'ex-convict' which is a fact! The Minister took off and then sent a message extending our orientation camping indefinitely. He released us after a week but we refused to be humiliated.
My view, if you want to be treated with respect, reject little discourtesies.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by wiegraf: 5:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
BarryX: The first bolded statement hit me like you are not Nigerian of which I know Ɣøû are ..I tend to understand from my Nigerian life experience that you saying we have " LITTLE CASH" is a big fat lie , money allocated to NYSC annually for the quarterly programmes cannot be equated to what 109 senators spend in a month notwithstanding the population of corp members to that . The second bolded "folly" statement makes me think you are not an Ex-Otondoh.... * First of all go down low*

Assuming you were correct and I am indeed a 9jarian who's not been to camp, what does that have to do with my arguments? 9ja is a broke a$$ country, especially for 160 million people, every little helps.

On another note, some politicians and they're cronies are making a killing somewhere. That's the only excuse I can think of.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by adezzy01(m): 5:06pm On Nov 18, 2012
frm Zamfara camp noW I knw y d educatd ppl wil always see d soja(my language)as Animals.Nysc is anoda silent corruptn&efcc can only do nothing naija.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by elampiro(m): 5:26pm On Nov 18, 2012
BarryX: I sincerely doubt I meant that. But all the same, I congratulate you for hustling your PPA which of course I know is against the NYSC bye-laws and most definitely some serious lobbying or money changing hands would have influence your placement BTW , there is hope* *smiles**

Not even a penny was involved. You got it all wrong. I was posted to a private firm in Ikeja. When I got there, I told myself ''this place is not meant for me and can't support my family with it''. So I started writing aptitude tests and going from one bank to the other. I got everything on merit. I went with my letter from the bank to the NYSC office in Surulere, I was told to get a rejection from my PPA, that was hard a little because it was only me they absolved out of four that were posted there. I did very well in the interview they conducted for the four corp members. I came out top for the accountant job. To cut a long story short, everything was purely hardwork and merit.
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by wallex2(m): 5:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
na person father and mother dem punish like this o
na wa u can imagine person wey get pikin for house copme camp come see him self for thois kind condition loool
Re: Picture Of Corpers Being Punished By Soldiers In Camp by Thok(m): 5:39pm On Nov 18, 2012
Hahaha.. Nothing is too big that can't be settled with a bottle of beer.. Look @ the singlet of 'THE OPPRESSOR'. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Change NYSC Date Of Birth During Online Registration / Burial Photos Of Corper Who Drowned In Bayelsa Boat Accident; Friends Mourn / Soldier Threatens To Lick A Corper Like Tomtom At Delta NYSC Camp (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.