Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,309 members, 7,836,350 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Oil Workers Zone. - Career (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Workers Zone. (166857 Views)

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 6:44pm On Jan 17, 2013
x-fire:

When people correct grammatical errors, take a few minutes to check the dictionary or google it. Don't be so lazy! You have access to the internet to write the above, why not check online before coming here to display your ignorance?

me·di·oc·ri·ty - /ˌmēdēˈäkrətē/
Noun:
1. The quality or state of being mediocre
2. A person of mediocre ability
Please, are you a learner? For christ's sake, what are you spewing na?

From your post, it is quite clear that a person in a state of mediocrity is a mediocre while a mediocre is someone that is in a state of mediocrity.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 17, 2013
It's officially a Grammar thread! cheesy
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen:
Please, are you a learner? For christ's sake, what are you spewing na?

From your post, it is quite clear that a person in a state of mediocrity is a mediocre while a mediocre is someone that is in a state of mediocrity.
Mehn...People are really proudly ignorant these days. Before you openly come here and display your foolhardiness, be sure of your facts!
Before displaying your ignorance here, have you tried checking the use of 'mediocre' and 'mediocrity' in sentences? You have access to the net. Why not check?
It is wrong to use 'A mediocre is.....' Mediocre is always an adjective and NOT a noun. Mediocrity is the noun - it means the state of being mediocre (in the adjective form) OR a mediocre person.
Please check out the usage!!!!!!!!
I am tempted to use insulting words but I won't

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 7:01pm On Jan 17, 2013
^^^ You are a mediocre!!!!

BTW, can ask you this, 'who is a mediocre?'
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen: ^^^ You are a mediocre!!!!

You are just a comedian. grin

1 result for: mediocre
me·di·o·cre
[mee-dee-oh-ker]
- adjective
1. of ordinary or moderate quality
- Related Forms
su·per·me·di·o·cre - adjective
me·di·oc·ri·ty - noun

Please let's return to discussing oil and gas issues. Enough of grammar lessons.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 7:15pm On Jan 17, 2013
See! Mediocre is an adjective, but it can be used as a noun, believe me,
Like:

'She is a mediocre artist'

And

'Idleness is only fatal to a mediocre'

So tell me your take on the two sentences.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen: See! Mediocre is an adjective, but it can be used as a noun, believe me,
Like:

'She is a mediocre artist'

And

'Idleness is only fatal to a mediocre'

So tell me your take on the two sentences.
Well, I'm not so lazy to argue blindly without checking the facts.
That was a quote (by Albert Camus who can be subject to error too) and not a dictionary or standard usage. Check any standard dictionary - Oxford, Longman, Webster, online free dictionary, etc. Mediocre is always an adjective. It's a common mistake by people to use it as a noun but now you know better! Phew!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 7:31pm On Jan 17, 2013
x-fire:

Well, I'm not so lazy to argue blindly without checking to my facts.
That was a quote (by Albert Camus who can be subject to error too) and not a dictionary or standard usage. Check any standard dictionary - Oxford, Longman, Webster, online free dictionary, etc. Mediocre is always an adjective. It's a common mistake by people to use it as a noun but now you know better! Phew!
You must be a joker, please the word is used as a noun in one and an adjective in the other.

Let me tell you this, a mediocre is someone in a state of mediocrity, that makes it a noun, meanwhile, it can also be a word for sub-standard or low quality things, which makes it an adjective.

So, my friend, it is you that have learnt today that it isn't a common mistake by people but an ignorance on your path.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 7:37pm On Jan 17, 2013
Nitrogen, you still dey hia?

Hmmm... Na ingris u sabi ehn? When oda mata dey go on, u no talk o.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen:
You must be a joker, please the word is used as a noun in one and an adjective in the other.

Let me tell you this, a mediocre is someone in a state of mediocrity, that makes it a noun, meanwhile, it can also be a word for sub-standard or low quality things, which makes it an adjective.

So, my friend, it is you that have learnt today that it isn't a common mistake by people but an ignorance on your path.
This is my last response to you. I am not ready to argue with you because you are talking based on hearsay and self-knowledge and not facts. I have quoted dictionary meanings of both words here. I have challenged you to check your dictionaries for standard usage. You have not done that. Instead, you come here and base your entire argument on a quote!
Remain ignorant bro, it's your choice.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 7:45pm On Jan 17, 2013
^^^^ hey! Don't even dare move an inch, I need to lecture someone tonight, you see, it is one thing to check dictionary for meaning of words, it is another to use those words correctly in a sentence.

Just do me a favour, give examples of how mediocre can be used in a sentence apart from 'a mediocre film, a mediocre food and others'

I await you o.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 7:48pm On Jan 17, 2013
2sexy: Nitrogen, you still dey hia?

Hmmm... Na ingris u sabi ehn? When oda mata dey go on, u no talk o.
When other matter dey ground, I dey learn, although I chipped in some things, but this one o, I must lecture someone tonight.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen: ^^^^ hey! Don't even dare move an inch, I need to lecture someone tonight, you see, it is one thing to check dictionary for meaning of words, it is another to use those words correctly in a sentence.

Just do me a favour, give examples of how mediocre can be used in a sentence apart from 'a mediocre film, a mediocre food and others'

I await you o.
I quoted all these online (Mind you, I'm using my phone):
Mediocre in comparison to his two masterpieces but
they are by no means poor films.
Mediocre to say the least and the comedy is
contained in simple one-line gags that hardly raise a
titter.
Mediocre fare we.
On the other hand, the movie itself was pretty
mediocre.
He believes government has mastered some of the
concepts, but the implementation and delivery
remains mediocre at best.
Mediocre opposition or dead games inevitable.
I used to really like the place, but the food is fairly
mediocre now and just about average.
Yes / no i have capable staff and if one of them does
really well, i am going to look mediocre in
comparison.
Mediocre beer?
Given the rather mediocre service we didn't feel
inclined to leave a tip.
The subject became woefully neglected as our food
was allowed to become mediocre.
Mediocre script lacking any spark of real inspiration.
Basic website support, average e-mail responses and
a national rate telephone number helped mi seem
somewhat mediocre.
This is a truly superb achievement, and almost any
other text will by contrast appear mediocre.
Mediocre system performance are now over.
Share prices soared against the background of a
relatively mediocre performance by the big
capitalist economies.
By these standards, the area's beaches and
restaurants may seem mediocre.
Mediocre horror movie that somehow.. .
A very mediocre sandwich, with very mediocre
fillings.
But can a decade that gave us the music center and
the pocket calculator truly be considered mediocre?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 8:04pm On Jan 17, 2013
x-fire:

Mediocre fare we.

On the other hand, the movie itself was pretty
mediocre.

but the implementation and delivery
remains mediocre at best.

I used to really like the place, but the food is fairly
mediocre now and just about average.

Yes / no i have capable staff and if one of them does
really well, i am going to look mediocre in
comparison.

Given the rather mediocre service we didn't feel
inclined to leave a tip.
The subject became woefully neglected as our food
was allowed to become mediocre.

Basic website support, average e-mail responses and
a national rate telephone number helped mi seem
somewhat mediocre.

This is a truly superb achievement, and almost any
other text will by contrast appear mediocre.

But can a decade that gave us the music center and
the pocket calculator truly be considered mediocre?

Please tell me how the word is used in the sentences quoted above.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen:

Please tell me how the word is used in the sentences quoted above.
Arguing with you bores me because I keep reiterating the same thing: are they not used as adjectives? Is there any of them used as a noun?
Do you really know the difference between and an adjective and a noun? Some wrote 'A mediocre is ....' and I pointed out that it was a wrong usage. And have you proved it otherwise?
Bro, I appreciate your foolhardiness but I have to leave you at this point.
Back to oil and gas business!!!!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 8:25pm On Jan 17, 2013
I take you as a tool for insulting me, might it interest you that an adjective can be used as a noun! You need to go pick up your brighter grammer or betterstill check it out with a GNS lecturer.

I need not go further with you cos the readiness to learn is not there. Maybe our paths will cross another day and amother time cos things are needed to be done now.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 8:38pm On Jan 17, 2013
For christ's sake, this is sheer mediocrity, how can someone that claims to use words rightly say that 'a mediocrity is here', you can only say 'mediocrity is reigning nowadays', I need a sane person to help us out here please.

Am not surprised anyway, because there is a difference between just knowing the meaning of words and using them correctly in sentences.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by seedgie(m): 9:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
Greeting to every body in this room pls @ xfire u re wrong, take correction. An adjective is a word used to qualify a noun. Do u copy that?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen: For christ's sake, this is sheer mediocrity, how can someone that claims to use words rightly say that 'a mediocrity is here', you can only say 'mediocrity is reigning nowadays', I need a sane person to help us out here please.

im not surprised anyway, because there is a difference between just knowing the meaning of words and using them correctly in sentences.
the guy na real otondo.One can say a mediocre person. Not a mediocrity person. I was angry when he claimed he knew but was actually talking rubbish. Once and for all i will educate dat otondo.
Mediocrity is used when describing the act of mediocre. example, mediocrity is now teh order of the day. As for mediocre it is used straight up to describe a person or thing. A mediocre student or a mediocre film. You dnt say a mediocrity student or a mediocrity film.
I doubt if that guy even went to a secondary school.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 9:28pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen: ^^^ You are a mediocre!!!!

Quit this, man. You're wrong! You are human!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 9:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
BlueDiva:

You are a fool for saying i'm wrong.
Mediocrity is the state of being mediocre. Pick your brighter grammar you tool.

I didn't even bother to read the nonsense you wrote down there.
undecided
Easy, Madam
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 17, 2013
seedgie: Greeting to every body in this room pls @ xfire u re wrong, take correction. An adjective is a word used instead of noun. Do u copy that?
Nitrogen said same. I am surprised at the level of ignorance being boldly shown here. An adjective is a word used in place of a noun?? Wow.
I wonder why you guys won't just do your basic findings before coming out to start an argument. It's always advisable to go back and check the meaning and usage of words (such as adjective, noun, pronoun,mediocre, mediocrity, etc) if you are not sure. Don't just accept what everybody around you speaks. Majority can be wrong especially in Nigeria where Nigerian English thrives.
I also make similar mistakes and I correct myself when I'm wrong.
The dictionary is an online resource. Please humbly do your checks. An educated and mature mind will always cross-check facts before voicing out.
I have to finally leave this cycle of debate before I use words I won't personally feel happy about.
Back to Oil biz!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 9:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
Ola one:

Quit this, man. You're wrong! You are human!
How is he wrong?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 9:50pm On Jan 17, 2013
This is really hilarious!It is funny how black people lay claim to smartness, intelligence, etc.
People like Jarus and OYB are right! You mostly have to be hardworking to get in. It is true it isn't easy to get into these MOCs but it isn't impossible. And, you don't have to be Einstein to get in. This is what BlueDiva needs to understand.
We can lay claim to our theoretical intelligence all we like, we are still not smart enough to run ordinary refineries. Even where these companies come from, Western countries that is, man sabi man dey wellu wellu. BP is one of the world's biggest oil companies, man know man dey there. In a recent report in Britain, it was discovered that best jobs are occupied by highly connected people. Not through beautiful CVs. Some don't even do any rigorous interviews. And I am talking about UK's leading law firms, entry level jobs in investment banking. Even O&G and journalism. If you think GEJ's candidate, for example, would struggle to get into Shell because Shell is so special, then you are in your own world. Well, that world is la-la land.
Thank God for these Oyinbos sha. We wouldn't have known about this O and G anyway.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 9:55pm On Jan 17, 2013
seedgie: Greeting to every body in this room pls @ xfire u re wrong, take correction. An adjective is a word used instead of noun. Do u copy that?
lipsrsealed
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 10:01pm On Jan 17, 2013
OKay, here is what I found...

“To be popular one must be a mediocrity.”― Oscar Wilde

Source==> http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/58228-to-be-popular-one-must-be-a-mediocrity

Equation solved!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 10:01pm On Jan 17, 2013
In fact Diezani Allison Madueke got in on merit. undecided

Her dad's connection had nothing to do with it. undecided
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 17, 2013
The N:
the guy na real otondo.One can say a mediocre person. Not a mediocrity person. I was angry when he claimed he knew but was actually talking rubbish. Once and for all i will educate dat otondo.
Mediocrity is used when describing the act of mediocre. example, mediocrity is now teh order of the day. As for mediocre it is used straight up to describe a person or thing. A mediocre student or a mediocre film. You dnt say a mediocrity student or a mediocrity film.
I doubt if that guy even went to a secondary school.
Your case is pathetic. Did you follow the line of argument? Why do people argue so blindly? Where in the world did I use 'mediocrity student', when I kept insisting mediocrity is a noun while mediocre is an adjective? Do you really know the meaning of noun, pronoun, adverb, adjective, verb, etc.
Some said adjectives can be used to replace a noun. Wow!!!! In cases where a word can be used both as an adjective and a noun, it will be stated clearly in the dictionary (eg iron). I'm tired of this debate. Half-baked graduates are really on the loose.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 10:05pm On Jan 17, 2013
Here is a forum debate by native english speakers===> http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2482165
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 10:08pm On Jan 17, 2013
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 10:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
"5 Problems With America That Have Given A Mediocrity Like Obama A Chance To Be Reelected" Source===> http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/5-problems-with-america-that-have-given-a-mediocrity-like-obama-a-chance-to-be-reelected/question-3285999/
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 10:11pm On Jan 17, 2013
x-fire:

Nitrogen said same. I am surprised at the level of ignorance being boldly shown here. An adjective is a word used in place of a noun?? Wow.
I wonder why you guys won't just do your basic findings before coming out to start an argument. It's always advisable to go back and check the meaning and usage of words (such as adjective, noun, pronoun,mediocre, mediocrity, etc) if you are not sure. Don't just accept what everybody around you speaks. Majority can be wrong especially in Nigeria where Nigerian English thrives.
I also make similar mistakes and I correct myself when I'm wrong.
The dictionary is an online resource. Please humbly do your checks. An educated and mature mind will always cross-check facts before voicing out.
I have to finally leave this cycle of debate before I use words I won't personally feel happy about.
Back to Oil biz!

You are an idiat for including that bolded in your post, when and where did I say that an adjective is used instead of a noun? You lack simple comprehension, maybe I should refer you to google so you can do some search, in my earlier post, I said that at times, an adjective can be used as a noun in a sentence........yes! I know what I am saying, or you want me to break that down for you? God forbid! Cos you won't catch it at all, but since google is your reliable source, I would want you to type 'adjectives as nouns' on google and check out the links displayed.

By the way, next time you display your sheer mediocrity here, you will be bounced out of this thread, even this section.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (64) (Reply)

CBN Salary + Allowances - Who Actually Knows? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.