Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,419 members, 7,836,672 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Oil Workers Zone. - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Workers Zone. (166861 Views)

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen:

You are an idiat for including that bolded in your post, when and where did I say that an adjective is used instead of a noun? You lack simple comprehension, maybe I should refer you to google so you can do some search, in my earlier post, I said that at times, an adjective can be used as a noun in a sentence........yes! I know what I am saying, or you want me to break that down for you? God forbid! Cos you won't catch it at all, but since google is your reliable source, I would want you to type 'adjectives as nouns' on google and check out the links displayed.

By the way, next time you display your sheer mediocrity here, you will be bounced out of this thread, even this section.

Alright. I dislike misquoting people and I therefore apolgize. But I STRONGLY DISAGREE with the bolded. Rather some words can be used both as an adjective and a noun, and it is usually clearly stated in the dictionary (eg check 'iron'). In the case of 'mediocre', it is used as an adjective ONLY and never as a noun. We all learn everyday. If I truly made a mistake, I will be humble enough to accept it, but in this case, I'm perfectly right. Please do your findings

@2sexy. That's nice of you. It's good to check facts before raising issues. People like you are needed in the oil sector....lol. I hope to read your testimony someday when you get in.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by seedgie(m): 10:27pm On Jan 17, 2013
Sory guys.... I made a mistake and i ve modified my previous post. @xfire, I guess u did sentence analysis in sch? Why are you stll argueing this stuff. If you look at the sentence critically you will know that the word 'mediocre' qualifies d noun from (diva' s post) . Anyways i know your type @ xfire
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 10:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
Nitrogen and co, drop the lectures... word evolve with time and there are constant changes to the use of words which many of us( Nigerians) are not aware of.

I think the word/ phrase " A mediocrity" is somewhat old school and thus not wildly used in today's english.

It will suprise you when you think you know english and a native english speaker begins to fill loop holes for you or shall I "gbagauns". We cant really say x-fire is wrong since I googled it and have seen where native speakers of english have used it. if you go through the wordreference.com link, you will see where someone said he has heard it being used before.

Let's cut the chase and focus on getting into the oil industry and not the english industry.

Basically, neither is wrong just that one is widely used over another.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jan 17, 2013
seedgie: Sory guys.... I made a mistake and i ve modified my previous post. @xfire, I guess u did sentence analysis in sch? Why are you stll argueing this stuff. If you look at the sentence critically you will know that the word 'mediocre' qualifies d noun from (diva' s post) . Anyways i know your type @ xfire
You keep wallowing deep into the pool of illiteracy. Diva used 'A mediocre is .......' (Can quote the full statement) and you mean your English teacher in school taught you that the 'a mediocre' used in beginning of the sentence qualifies the noun or noun phrase at the end of the sentence
You are probably right - why keep arguing this stuff with uneducated minds?
It just pains me that the standard of education has fallen so drastically that graduates now publicly display lack of knowledge in the use and study of English.
Ok @2sexy. I give up. I will stop debating over the issue.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by seedgie(m): 10:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
Nice one 2sexy, i like constructive peeps.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 10:39pm On Jan 17, 2013
See! The thing is this, it is the fact/truth that 'mediocrity is a noun' while 'mediocre' is an adjective, fine, but what I am telling you is that the adjective 'mediocre' can be used as a noun in a sentence. Fact!!! It all depends.

Meanwhile, if it is this way 'he is a mediocrity' where will you put this 'he will be rewarded for mediocrity', @2sexy, I quoted a scholar the other time and Xfire was quick to say that it might have been an error on the scholar's path, what about mere writers, can't they make mistakes too?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 17, 2013
nitrogen: See! The thing is this, it is the fact/truth that 'mediocrity is a noun' while 'mediocre' is an adjective, fine, but what I am telling you is that the adjective 'mediocre' can be used as a noun in a sentence. Fact!!! It all depends.

Meanwhile, if it is this way 'he is a mediocrity' where will you put this 'he will be rewarded for mediocrity', @2sexy, I quoted a scholar the other time and Xfire was quick to say that it might have been an error on the scholar's path, what about mere writers, can't they make mistakes too?
Firstly, in both cases, mediocrity was used as a noun. Check the meaning of mediocrity and you will find two meanings.
On your second question, when there is a debate about grammatical issues in quotes, best way of resolution is to go back to the dictionary and see the meaning and usage of such words. Dictionary is your ultimate guide. But from the arguments here, I find out that most cannot properly study the dictionary. All what you have said about some words being used as both nouns and adjectives are clearly explained in the dictionary. Please do yourself good by getting a good dictionary and studying it well.
I also find out that most don't really understand the meaning of noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, phrase, etc and their usages. Please try and do basic revision.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by seedgie(m): 10:49pm On Jan 17, 2013
@xfire u are a big fool for insulting your self because i never insulted u in my post.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 17, 2013
seedgie: @xfire u are a big fool for insulting your self because i never insulted u in my post.
I'm really sorry if you felt offended in anyway. Accept my apologies. But you also said 'I know your type'. That's a bit offensive.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2013
x-fire:

Firstly, in both cases, mediocrity was used as a noun. Check the meaning of mediocrity and you will find two meanings.
On your second question, when there is a debate about grammatical issues in quotes, best way of resolution is to go back to the dictionary and see the meaning and usage of such words. Dictionary is your ultimate guide. But from the arguments here, I find out that most cannot properly study the dictionary. All what you have said about some words being used as both nouns and adjectives are clearly explained in the dictionary. Please do yourself good by getting a good dictionary and study it well.
I also find out that most don't really understand the meaning of noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, phrase, etc and their usages. Please try and do basic revision.

You have tried to explain in detail but it's up to them to do the needful.

Why not let it slide?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2013
2sexy: Nitrogen and co, drop the lectures... word evolve with time and there are constant changes to the use of words which many of us( Nigerians) are not aware of.

I think the word/ phrase " A mediocrity" is somewhat old school and thus not wildly used in today's english.

It will suprise you when you think you know english and a native english speaker begins to fill loop holes for you or shall I "gbagauns". We cant really say x-fire is wrong since I googled it and see where native speakers of english have used it. if you go through the wordreference.com link, you will see where some said he has heard it used before.

Let's cut the chase and focus on getting into the oil industry and not the english industry.

Back to the start, you caught the drift analytically and in a different way.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by seedgie(m): 11:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
If that is the case you misunderstood me. I didnt insult you with it. I am sory if u took it as an insult
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nitrogen(m): 11:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
x-fire:

On your second question, when there is a debate about grammatical issues in quotes, best way of resolution is to go back to the dictionary and see the meaning and usage of such words. Dictionary is your ultimate guide. But from the arguments here, I find out that most cannot properly study the dictionary. All what you have said about some words being used as both nouns and adjectives are clearly explained in the dictionary. Please do yourself good by getting a good dictionary and study it well.
I also find out that most don't really understand the meaning of noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, phrase, etc and their usages. Please try and do basic revision

With those jinxed together, you are a Zap., you argue sensibly but without any sense of smartness and regard for others. What an offender!

Meanwhile, you live in the past, my best advice for you is to check out the meaning of words and use them accordingly/sensibly, also generalising will do you a lot of harm than good, so take those pieces and sleep over them. Good night!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by rufychuks: 12:43am On Jan 18, 2013
First of all, i am surprised that some people here do not understand how to use a dictionary properly. It seems they only use it to check for spellings! Now back to the O and G discussion, i came here to learn ways to penetrate the industry, no matter how hard, and realized that those who should educate more actually dont. All they do is make fun of others. Blue diva is definitely a pompous person; i have been following her posts from the Total thread e.t.c. She just derails the topic and adds nothing

4 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by rufychuks: 1:07am On Jan 18, 2013
She quickly insults anyone who contradicts her. Honestly, i hope she is like this only on nairaland. I have come to respect Jarus' and oyb's contributions so far. All I want(yes, i am a fresh graduate) is information on how to get into the industry and the right steps to take! I think that is what this thread is for. I believe in hardwork. I believe in being prepared. I believe in authentic information. I believe in backup plans. I just hope we all stop derailing this thread and treat the topic at hand.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ITbomb(m): 4:16am On Jan 18, 2013
I saw Oil workers Banner, I came inside and English prof arguing on whether mediocre is a noun or an adverb.
How does this affect the price of a 9 7/8 pipe?

4 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 4:19am On Jan 18, 2013
rufychuks: First of all, i am surprised that some people here do not understand how to use a dictionary properly. It seems they only use it to check for spellings! Now back to the O and G discussion, i came here to learn ways to penetrate the industry, no matter how hard, and realized that those who should educate more actually dont. All they do is make fun of others. Blue diva is definitely a pompous person; i have been following her posts from the Total thread e.t.c. She just derails the topic and adds nothing

In the mouth of two or three witnesses, a case is established...... cheesy

Back to underlying issues.
It is a well known fact that the O & G is a tough industry to get into, but the fact remains that people still get in everyday.
So this thread was meant to educate people on the possibilities, and strategies, but "over smart" people won't let us hear word.

The reason Nigeria isn't moving forward, is that we always have people who will never proffer solutions, people who always believe that they are smarter than anybody else,
people who can only brag and correct others, and yet if you check their CV you are bound to see "excellent team players" even when their attitude screams anti-team players.

That said, it is a pity that some persons think that the message that is being put across here is one of laziness, but far from it, the message here is an attempt to
demystify the theories and myths surrounding the O & G sector, help people with information, and make them better aware of what they will or might face in future.

As for those arguing about correct usage of whatever, thats exactly what they want you to do, argue and set yourselves against each other, take your mind away from the real facts,
i have refused to join those that correct other people's use of English, because i too make mistakes, but it has not taken anything away from me.

I belong to many forums, and its only in Nigerian forums i have seen such petty argument about grammar, well maybe its because they are all technical forums, i don not know.

Finally, some persons' really need to stop taking out their everyday frustrations on-line, trying to discredit anybody doesn't give you credibility, if you must, just say what you have to say, and let the people make their choice. I have learned a-lot from Nairaland, and will continue to do so.

Thanks to those who have contributed positively to this thread, and for those who jumped here seeking attention, i am damn sure you got it, i hope it gives you the kicks to make you high.... undecided undecided undecided

Regards.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 4:24am On Jan 18, 2013
ITbomb: I saw Oil workers Banner, I came inside and English prof arguing on whether mediocre is a noun or an adverb.
How does this affect the price of a 9 7/8 pipe?

Thats what you get when a material exceeds its elastic limit...... grin grin grin grin grin grin
Maybe we should have been speaking in technical terms and equations that cannot be argued about... grin grin grin
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 4:34am On Jan 18, 2013
2sexy: Nitrogen and co, drop the lectures... word evolve with time and there are constant changes to the use of words which many of us( Nigerians) are not aware of.

It will suprise you when you think you know english and a native english speaker begins to fill loop holes for you or shall I "gbagauns". We cant really say x-fire is wrong since I googled it and have seen where native speakers of english have used it. if you go through the wordreference.com link, you will see where someone said he has heard it being used before.

The truth my brother is that people don't know how to listen, many don't know that listening is an art, not everyone is capable of.
Someone could speak wrongly and still send a message, since its not an English class, why not take note of the message and leave the grammar.

In this case, you have listened and understood the difference in their arguments, hence you have come up with a logical end to the matter. now thats the attribute of a problem solver.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 5:17am On Jan 18, 2013
Laughing n Learning
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 6:38am On Jan 18, 2013
rufychuks: First of all, i am surprised that some people here do not understand how to use a dictionary properly. It seems they only use it to check for spellings! Now back to the O and G discussion, i came here to learn ways to penetrate the industry, no matter how hard, and realized that those who should educate more actually dont. All they do is make fun of others. Blue diva is definitely a pompous person; i have been following her posts from the Total thread e.t.c. She just derails the topic and adds nothing
Probably trying to make the industry a cult-like thing. Maybe some people intend to keep all the jobs there for their children.

"Tell them it is difficult to get into. Slow their roll. Disrupt them. Brag, distract and make sure you coat the industry in secrecy for them."

We only hear she's been there since 1997 but nothing else. SMH!

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 7:10am On Jan 18, 2013
Ola one:
Probably trying to make the industry a cult-like thing. Maybe some people intend to keep all the jobs there for their children.

"Tell them it is difficult to get into. Slow their roll. Disrupt them. Brag, distract and make sure you coat the industry in secrecy for them."

na so her life be... the one that strikes me most is where she called Kitty kat Anuofia... guys if you do not know the meaning of Anuofia it means a Wild Animal.Is that how smart people behave? Someone who is so much for intelligence. Oh my God... some companies don suffer.I swear.

Thant part just make me lost respect for this woman compeletely. She says I was I probably rolling tire in 1997 yet I have the sense not to behave like someone without proper up bringing. Where is the maturity in that? I so much hate to see an adult behave like a child without wisdom.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Omonoris(m): 7:20am On Jan 18, 2013
@scantee,i read chemical engr and grad 2010 wit a 2.2,also i jst finished a training on hysys and pipesim.pls wat are my chances in d oil industry.i nd a job asap
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 18, 2013
x-fire:

Nitrogen said same. I am surprised at the level of ignorance being boldly shown here. An adjective is a word used in place of a noun?? Wow.
I wonder why you guys won't just do your basic findings before coming out to start an argument. It's always advisable to go back and check the meaning and usage of words (such as adjective, noun, pronoun,mediocre, mediocrity, etc) if you are not sure. Don't just accept what everybody around you speaks. Majority can be wrong especially in Nigeria where Nigerian English thrives.
I also make similar mistakes and I correct myself when I'm wrong.
The dictionary is an online resource. Please humbly do your checks. An educated and mature mind will always cross-check facts before voicing out.
I have to finally leave this cycle of debate before I use words I won't personally feel happy about.
Back to Oil biz!

Finally we have established that ur the ignorant one. Like i said earlier a mediocrity is used in old English mainly by old writers and poets. If i was ur English teacher i will score u zero.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 18, 2013
Ola one:

I understand her from a perspective: we should be open-minded and not think that oil and gas industry is the only way to a comfortable life.
I didn't start from the oil sector and to be sincere, I am a bit 'amazed' how rapidly I have moved into the oil sector.
Like I have always said, you have to literally 'stand out' from the crowd of very smart people to get in. There are many smart guys out there still searching for jobs in the sector. I know a lot.
Once in a while, luck and favour comes to play. I know a guy who served in an IOC, got a contract offer after service and was converted to a full staff after a year. This is just to show that people enter the industry in different ways.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Olaone1: 7:27am On Jan 18, 2013
The N:

Finally we have established that ur the ignorant one. Like i said earlier a mediocrity is used in old English mainly by old writers and poets. If i was ur English teacher i will score u zero.
Back to O&G, abeg. Thank you.

Just like some people opined, I am also sure deceit is in the air. And, people should be careful. I don't really trust the OP's motive. And, I don't think he is a full-time member of staff there.

Be careful, guys
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Maya2pretty(f): 11:49am On Jan 18, 2013
@Scantee Braggin rights, enjoy bro, we r still job searching. I ave a microbiology (B.Sc)certificate and a PMF certificate too.I finished service since last year February,just tired
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
Hi senior friends, i'm a graduate of chem engr, just concluded my youth service. What s d best entry point in2 oil industry &how do i go about it cos i do nt ve industrial experienc. Does master degree offer any leverage in securing job in oil&gas?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
spread your net as wide as you can...

Never under-estimate the days of little beginnig...

Not everyone can start from the top.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ow11(m): 2:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
The oil industry moguls always complain about a dearth of required hands, tons of Nigerian graduates willing and waiting for an oil company job. what a world we live in?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by 2sexy(m): 9:43am On Jan 19, 2013
Okay, I have something for you guys....

someone once asked for books relating to Petroleum Engineering.

Well I have just downloaded one that is worth $58 on Amazon.com, but for FREE grin grin (trust Naija with freebie).

When I really want a book, I get it if I am really serious without paying a dime. Nah I dont hack.. I just search the web for freely available copies. Gbam!

First open an account at 4shared.com because without signing up, you cant download any of the books and thank your star that someone already has them stored up for you.

so, once that is done, use this link and download as much as you can.

http://www.4shared.com/folder/jbIrUxn7/PETROLEUM.html

You will find petroleum engineering book from drilling, production, reservior, geology etc.

You can also use scribd.com for same purpose but it has a little restriction though.

Good luck.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by SBabaJ(m): 10:47am On Jan 19, 2013
Jarus:

There are a number of them here too. We even have Community Liaison Officers in all our local governments of operations.
These are indigenes of host communities, just to placate them, lest they mobilize to disrupt your operations.

I have been talking having in mind professionals (engineers, geologists, accountants etc) who are permanent staff, not these community guys.
Are All Community Liaison/Relations Officers Indigenes Of Host Communities?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (64) (Reply)

CBN Salary + Allowances - Who Actually Knows? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.