Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope (13002 Views)

Jesus Was Not Even A Christian / Jesus Was Not Sent To Save The Whole World - Bible / This Is The HOUSE TB Joshua Was Born In... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Olarajee(m): 9:59pm On Nov 21, 2012
Jesus was born years earlier than thought.
The Pope also weighs in on the debate over Christ's birthplace.

The entire Christian calendar is based on a miscalculation, the Pope has declared, as he claims in a new book that Jesus was born several years earlier than commonly believed.

The 'mistake' was made by a sixth century monk known as Dionysius Exiguus or in English Dennis the Small, the 85-year-old pontiff claims in the book 'Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives', published on Wednesday.

"The calculation of the beginning of our calendar – based on the birth of Jesus – was made by Dionysius Exiguus, who made a mistake in his calculations by several years," the Pope writes in the book, which went on sale around the world with an initial print run of a million copies.

"The actual date of Jesus's birth was several years before."

The assertion that the Christian calendar is based on a false premise is not new – many historians believe that Christ was born sometime between 7BC and 2BC.

But the fact that doubts over one of the keystones of Christian tradition have been raised by the leader of the world's one billion Catholics is striking.

Dennis the Small, who was born in Eastern Europe, is credited with being the "inventor" of the modern calendar and the concept of the Anno Domini era.

He drew up the new system in part to distance it from the calendar in use at the time, which was based on the years since thereign of the Roman emperor Diocletian.

The emperor had persecuted Christians, so there was good reason to expunge him from the new dating system in favour of one inspired by the birth of Christ.

The monk's calendar became widely acceptedin Europe after it was adopted by the Venerable Bede, the historian-monk, to date the events that he recounted in his Ecclesiastical History of the English People, which he completed in AD 731.

But exactly how Dennis calculated the year of Christ's birth is not clear and the Pope's claim that he made a mistake is a view shared by many scholars.

The Bible does not specify a date for the birth of Christ. The monk instead appears to have based his calculations on vague references to Jesus's age at the start of his ministry and the fact that he was baptised in the reign of the emperor Tiberius.

Christ's birth date is not the only controversy raised by the Pope in his new book – he also said that contrary to the traditional Nativity scene, there were no oxen, donkeys or other animals at Jesus's birth.

He also weighs in on the debate over Christ's birthplace, rejecting arguments by some scholars that he was born in Nazareth rather than Bethlehem.

John Barton, Professor of the Interpretation of the Holy Scripture at Oriel College, Oxford University, said most academics agreed with the Pope that the Christian calendar was wrong and that Jesus was born several years earlier than commonly thought, probably between 6BC and 4BC.

"There is no reference to when he was born in the Bible - all we know is that he was born in the reign of Herod the Great, who died before 1AD," he told The Daily Telegraph. "It's been surmised for a very long time that Jesus was born before 1AD - no one knows for sure."

The idea that Christ was born on Dec 25 also has no basis in historical fact. "We don't even know which season he was born in. The whole idea of celebrating his birth during the darkest part of the year is probably linked to pagan traditions and the winter solstice.

"http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9693576/Jesus-was-born-years-earlier-than-thought-claims-Pope.html

7 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Caseless: 11:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
Roman contraption!

Holy contradiction!

"celebrating his birth during the darkest part of the year is probably linked to pagan traditions and winter solstice".

Hmmmm...Romans' effect! They don finish this religion.....kaaai...

I hope the pope comes out one day and tell us how the bible was also adulterated by the romans, and not only his birthdate suffered the roman attack.

This romans even get verse for bible to show how far they went to destroy the bible.

Brethren, always stick to ur old testament to enjoy the real message.....

5 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 11:42pm On Nov 21, 2012
Man of SIN doing what he knows best , working against Christ !!

5 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 22, 2012
*Smh* But when you tell them that some of these celebrations have pagan origins, they won't agree! They don't want us to follow scriptural teachings because of some man made doctrines & pagan traditions *Smh*

Where are the mistakes coming from now? I thought they said Peter was a Pope? The Church that they even value more than the scripture is making mistakes now....hmmm

5 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 6:02am On Nov 22, 2012
You guys are really bunch of fools exposing ur stupidity.it has been historically proved that christ was not really born in 1CE as earlier taught because it was eventually discovered that herod the great who wanted to kill him died much earlier between 7-2 BCE.This are historical facts,kindly google before making a fool of yourselves.

5 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by OME1(m): 6:06am On Nov 22, 2012
@op how will your post take us to heaven.. angry
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 22, 2012
No one gives a shoit as long as we get our Christmas gifts.

4 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 22, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
No one gives a shoit as long as we get our Christmas gifts.
lwkmd..

I'm not bothered about his birth though. more interested in his death.. when exactly did he die and what killed him? maybe he had a terminal disease and decided to spend the last years of his life doing good... lol..

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 22, 2012
frosbel: Man of SIN doing what he knows best , working against Christ !!

Frosbel, the one and only follower of Christ... greetings...

Was surprised to find out we both hail from Imo state... tongue
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 22, 2012
Some people are just silly; making senseless comments doesn't change what the Pope said! Must you insult people to make a point? Not surprised! That is what you guys resort to when your Church issues are being discussed! It's very clear that Catholics will soon resume killing to defend their Church doctrines grin !!!

Was it not the Catholic Church that brought in Christmas, Easter and other pagan traditions into Christianity? Even when the Pope is admitting that these celebrations have pagan origins, some people are still talking!!! *Smh* BTW, my problem is not even the date/time of Christ's birth but the pagan celebration linked to it!!!

8 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink: Some people are just silly; making senseless comments doesn't change what the Pope said! Must you insult people to make a point? Not surprised! That is what you guys resort to when your Church issues are being discussed! It's very clear that Catholics will soon resume killing to defend their Church doctrines grin !!!

Was it not the Catholic Church that brought in Christmas, Easter and other pagan traditions into Christianity? Even when the Pope is admitting that these celebrations have pagan origins, some people are still talking!!! *Smh* BTW, my problem is not even the date/time of Christ's birth but the pagan celebration linked to it!!!

Even calendar days and months have pagan origin.Should we also discard them?

4 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 22, 2012
What about bowing down to images as practiced by the catholic church.. Does it have a pagan origin too? If yes then why do they continue doing it?

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ezyp(m): 7:54am On Nov 22, 2012
these pagan dates/month/celebration dates where used by the early Christians to convert the pagans cos it wasnt easy for them to drop their pagan way of worshiped at that time.......SO PLS STOP THE BEEF ON CATHOLICS,

10 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Olarajee(m): 7:59am On Nov 22, 2012
Ezy~p:
these pagan dates/month/celebration dates where used by the early Christians to convert the pagans cos it wasnt easy for them to drop their pagan way of worshiped at that time.......SO PLS STOP THE BEEF ON CATHOLICS,

Meaning Christainity is an advancement of Idolatory?
The problem is, why practice all what Jesus didnt. Lots of lies.

5 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ezyp(m): 8:01am On Nov 22, 2012
bbpreye.:
What about bowing down to images as practiced by the catholic church.. Does it have a pagan origin too? If yes then why do they continue doing it?

dude nobody is bowing down to any image( u cant watch from outside and judge)
pls stop the beef and let the Catholics practice their faith

3 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 22, 2012
chukwudi44:

Even calendar days and months have pagan origin.Should we also discard them?

I already said I do not have problems with calendar/dates as far as it doesn't affect or change my worship style! Jesus' DOB isn't important for salvation but I'm sure adopting & bringing pagan worship style into Christianity is wrong!

Paul, Peter and other early Christians who wrote letters to new Christian converts never asked them to merge any pagan worship style to Christianity!!

4 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ezyp(m): 8:08am On Nov 22, 2012
Olarajee:

Meaning Christainity is an advancement of Idolatory?
The problem is, why practice all what Jesus didnt. Lots of lies.

dont get me wrong Christainity is NOT an advancement of Idolatory
those dates where used in a christain way so that the pagan would drop their pagan way of worship and embrace christainity
still on those dates

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 22, 2012
Ezy~p:

those dates where used in a christain way so that the pagan would drop their pagan way of worship and embrace christainity
still on those dates

Bros, and after they successfully converted Pagans to Christianity, were those traditions supposed to continue? Even to a point that people born into Christianity practice it and see it as holy?

3 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ezyp(m): 8:29am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Paul, Peter and other early Christians who wrote letters to new Christian converts never asked them to merge any pagan worship style to Christianity!!

i guess the present way(gospel music, crusade on TVs, words of God on newspapers, etc) of converting pagan to christainnity is differnt from the way paul, peter did......every season with its own style but what matter is dat pagans where converted...

IF I MAY ASK: WHY DIDNT JESUS PICKED THE RIGHTEOUS ONE AS HIS DISCIPLE INSTEAD HE WENT FOR THE PAGANS AND CONVERTED THEM

WHAT REALLY MATTERS IS THE CONVERSION!!!!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Olarajee(m): 8:31am On Nov 22, 2012
Ezy~p:

still on those dates

Who's fooling who? So those dates are not even 'Biblical' at all... Christainity only adopted it to entice the pagans right? Like an compromise? So much for the December 25th!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Zikkyy(m): 8:43am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:
but I'm sure adopting & bringing pagan worship style into Christianity is wrong!

What exactly is the Christian worship style? is there a standard form of worship for Christians? did Jesus or the apostle produce a 'standard worship program' that we must use when worshiping? did the 'standard worship program' (if it exist) says there can be no modification? if you have that info, please share. i believe that will silence the Catholics, otherwise i will say you don't know what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ezyp(m): 8:43am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Bros, and after they successfully converted Pagans to Christianity, were those traditions supposed to continue? Even to a point that people born into Christianity practice it and see it as holy?

PLS BE SPECIFIC WHAT TRADITION OR PRACTICE ARE REFERRING TO
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Olarajee(m): 8:44am On Nov 22, 2012
I just hope that all profits from the book go to the victims of child sex abuse perpetrated by their priests. And that those who harbored and protected pedophiles finish out their miserable lives in prison. Well, that won't happen. Right?

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 22, 2012
Zikkyy:

What exactly is the Christian worship style? is there a standard form of worship for Christians? did Jesus or the apostle produce a 'standard worship program' that we must use when worshiping? did the 'standard worship program' (if it exist) says there can be no modification? if you have that info, please share. i believe that will silence the Catholics, otherwise i will say you don't know what you are talking about.

Christian worship styles are all over the NT! Paul and other early Christians wrote letters to new Christian converts, giving them guildlines on how to worship God in spirit and truth! They never used any borrowed pagan styles of worship to teach! The standard I'm talking about is in the Bible, anything borrowed from pagan tradition to please some pagan converts is wrong! That was my point.

I'm not trying to silent any Catholic; the article is about the Pope's views on borrowed pagan traditions. So, lets stick to the topic!

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 22, 2012
Ezy~p:

PLS BE SPECIFIC WHAT TRADITION OR PRACTICE ARE REFERRING TO

Do I have to spell it out? Read the article again! I tire for una sef!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by advocate666: 9:16am On Nov 22, 2012

grin grin grin grin grin
We are winning.
We are winning!

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ezyp(m): 9:21am On Nov 22, 2012
Olarajee: I just hope that all profits from the book go to the victims of child sex abuse perpetrated by their priests. And that those who harbored and protected pedophiles finish out their miserable lives in prison. Well, that won't happen. Right?

YOU JUST LOOKING FOR A WAY TO FIGHT/ QUARREL
BRODA WHAT U AR DOIN IS NOT THE WAY OF A TRUE CHRISTIAN

U TRYIN TO PAINT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH BLACK? TELL ME WHICH RELIGION IS CLEAN FROM ANY SCANDAL? THE TRUTH IS DEVIL IS EVERY WHERE( EVEN IN NL)

BECOS U READ ABT A SCANDAL FROM THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SO U ASSUME ALL PRIEST DOES IT.....BRODA PLS THINK BEFORE U COME TO CONCLUSION (DS NOT AN INSULT)

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 22, 2012
Ezy~p:

i guess the present way(gospel music, crusade on TVs, words of God on newspapers, etc) of converting pagan to christainnity is differnt from the way paul, peter did......every season with its own style but what matter is dat pagans where converted...

IF I MAY ASK: WHY DIDNT JESUS PICKED THE RIGHTEOUS ONE AS HIS DISCIPLE INSTEAD HE WENT FOR THE PAGANS AND CONVERTED THEM

WHAT REALLY MATTERS IS THE CONVERSION!!!!!!!!!!

You think Christ wouldn't have used technology in spreading the gospel of the kingdom if it were available at His time? I don't see the similarities between merging pagan traditions to Christianity and evangelising with technology!

Christ said the gospel must be preached to the whole world before the end will come (Matthew 24:14), how do you think that will happen without the technology we have today?

Did Christ follow the ways of His disciples after converting them or taught them the ways of God? So, if you succeed in coverting a juju worshipper today, will you merge his traditions to the body of Christ just to please him? Smh
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by IleIfe2(m): 9:29am On Nov 22, 2012
Na today? Nothing new.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by aglomar: 9:30am On Nov 22, 2012
Ho does this irrelevant n useless papal lecture bring a solution to the teeming global problems. This is an avenue 4 some ppu 2 further denounce xtianity. Pope pls get a job!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by tchaik(m): 9:30am On Nov 22, 2012
Typical Christians; always arguing which sect/denomination is the 'RIGHT/CORRECT' one! Always fighting about the messenger, but forgetting the Message!

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 22, 2012
advocate666:
grin grin grin grin grin
We are winning.
We are winning!

Happy for the confusion in the body of Christ? You ain't winning brah! Smh! Your master lost the war a long time ago grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

For Grail Message Adherents And Whoever Cares To Look / Does An Atheist Have A Soul? / Lack Of Patience Is What Pushes People To Make Money Illegally.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.