Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope (13006 Views)

Jesus Was Not Even A Christian / Jesus Was Not Sent To Save The Whole World - Bible / This Is The HOUSE TB Joshua Was Born In... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:59am On Nov 22, 2012
jim jones:

masa relax. you accuse folks of being silly and making senseless comments(not that i'm defending anybody) while being disingenuous, yourself. yes the catholic church introduced pagan traditions to christianity, but where in that post did the pope ever admit that them pointless celebrations are of pagan origin?
d pope didnt!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 12:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Did you read the article? Smh!!
i did, i read d opinion of d writters and not a single quote where d pope says anything abt pagan practice
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by advocate666: 12:02pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: d pope didnt!

Has a pope ever denied the celebrations were of a pagan origin?

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Anvaller: 12:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
emeka762001: instead of una to dey cry for nigeria, una dey busy dey fight una self over wht pope say abt christ date of birth, how dat one take stop boko haram, kidnapping, bribery and corruption, armed robbery, bad roads, unemployment etc in nigeria?

So u can not connect the fact that dogmatic belief based on a warped understanding of religion in Nigeria and even the world over is the root cause of all the stuffs u have mentioned here. The more we start to ask questions, the more we sharpen our brains and brighten our reasoning. The HULT PRIZE is specifically dedicated to people that ask WHY? So if u endeavor to reason deep, u would see the connection even though it is far apart.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
ONESS:
Christmas and other christian celebrations were put in place of the pagan holidays in those days so that the christians of then and new converts dont get tempted to celebrat with the pagans as they use to celebrate the holiday. so to me this is a way of bulshiting the things of Christ. Christians are not even supposed to celebrate anything called birthday because John the baptist was beheaded during king Herod's birthday, but what would you do as a loyal disciple of Christ Jesus to keep the faith and not let your new converts to stray or backslide. think about it and give me your feed back.
and benedict didnt even say this!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by BrutusOj(m): 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
bbpreye.:
What about bowing down to images as practiced by the catholic church.. Does it have a pagan origin too? If yes then why do they continue doing it?
I Rather bow down to images of Mary/Jesus as u said dan bow to image of ur Fraudulent Pastors placed in ur churches inplace of d image of christ d pilar of churches..
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
Christianity full of error....they have many bible,call jesus the creator of heaven and earth, paul wrote bible, many churches, and many more! If you are wise enough question your pastors!!!!! Christianity is not a religion from jesus.only the wise understand this! ISLAM REMAIN THE ONLY COMPLETE RELIGION COS YOU MUST BELEIVE IN ALL THE PROPHET OF GOD INCLUDING issa(jesus) PBUH. I HEREBY IMPLORE ALL CHRISTIAN TO SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH AND NOT UNTIL THE POPE FIND OUT THAT CHRISTIANITY was formulated by pegans after jesus died, I PERSONALLY INVITE YA'ALL To ISLAM I.e submmision to the creator of heaven and earth..thank you.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Anvaller: 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
crackhouse: how are we sure that pope said this? did u hear the pope said that? pls don't rely on whatever you see on the internet before drawing to conclusions because we have a lot of atheist with different websites writing trash just to destroy religion. they can stay in their homes and cook up a story, upload it to their website and circulate it just to cause confusion among Christians.

C'mon dude, u can not see the sun as bright as it is if u do not open ur eyes... U are still in doubt of a development that is on top of the news on CNN as I type
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 12:10pm On Nov 22, 2012
caseless: Roman v16:2.....i'm sure that was where u got confused from. How can there b contradictions in holy stuffs? Smh...
did dat pasage say anything abt d birth of Jesus? What are u aiming at?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 12:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
advocate666:

Has a pope ever denied the celebrations were of a pagan origin?
is d pope a rumor monger that he shuld go abt denying stuff and claims made by faceless pipo?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 12:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
B4 i comment futher i would go get a copy of d book and read.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by jimjones: 12:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: please can u give d quote where d pope said d celebrations have pagan origin?

eh, masa...madam seriallink is not gonna give you an answer to that kweshun. as you may have noticed, i have tackled the woman on that issue and she's proven to be one of those people that can't pass up an opportunity to mouth off, albeit, very disingenuously. the paragraph he thinks is attributed to the pope, is actually(as every sensible person in the world should be able to see) john barton's. but disingenuous people are not known to admit their wrongs.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Delafruita(m): 12:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

You think Christ wouldn't have used technology in spreading the gospel of the kingdom if it were available at His time? I don't see the similarities between merging pagan traditions to Christianity and evangelising with technology!

Christ said the gospel must be preached to the whole world before the end will come (Matthew 24:14), how do you think that will happen without the technology we have today?

Did Christ follow the ways of His disciples after converting them or taught them the ways of God? So, if you succeed in coverting a juju worshipper today, will you merge his traditions to the body of Christ just to please him? Smh
that brings a salient point,how come the "son of god" who supposedly has all powers of this world and beyond couldnt invent anything to propagate his gospel.its evident that even a 10 year old kid of this age who has access to a mobile phone is more powerful than yeshwa ever was
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 22, 2012
jim jones:

eh, masa...madam seriallink is not gonna give you an answer to that kweshun. as you may have noticed, i have tackled the woman on that issue and she's proven to be one of those people that can't pass up an opportunity to mouth off, albeit, very disingenuously. the paragraph he thinks is attributed to the pope, is actually(as every sensible person in the world should be able to see) john barton's. but disingenuous people are not known to admit their wrongs.

Are you gay mayne? I'm not surprised! That's one of the pagan traditions you learnt from your Church! Smh for you! Sorry, I ain't no woman....Do I look like a woman to you Catholics....smh again
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Are you gay mayne? I'm not surprised! That's one of the pagan traditions you learnt from your Church! Smh for you! Sorry, I ain't no woman....Do I look like a woman to you Catholics....smh again
what church is dat again?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: and benedict didnt even say this!

Whether Pope talk am or not, na so e be! Ur own arguement, even in a billion yrs with solid evidences you no dey gree! So, forget!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: what church is dat again?

I'm not a guillible churchgoer like you! grin I follow Christ, that's it!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by nwanioma(f): 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
What is the actually value of all of these information? to me nothing... The importance of the Gospel is that Jesus came to save us, weather he came later or earlier it doesn't matter to me
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
azeezlateefah: Christianity full of error....they have many bible,call jesus the creator of heaven and earth, paul wrote bible, many churches, and many more! If you are wise enough question your pastors!!!!! Christianity is not a religion from jesus.only the wise understand this! ISLAM REMAIN THE ONLY COMPLETE RELIGION COS YOU MUST BELEIVE IN ALL THE PROPHET OF GOD INCLUDING issa(jesus) PBUH. I HEREBY IMPLORE ALL CHRISTIAN TO SEARCH FOR THE TRUTH AND NOT UNTIL THE POPE FIND OUT THAT CHRISTIANITY was formulated by pegans after jesus died, I PERSONALLY INVITE YA'ALL To ISLAM I.e submmision to the creator of heaven and earth..thank you.

Na by force?

IMO, Just stick to serving God, obeying & diligently serving him. Believe in the trinity that's all. I've learnt that most doctrines/teachings aren't always true.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by jimjones: 1:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

...easily proves my point. madam seriallink, i inserted that deliberately to prove just how perfunctory your responses are. i knew you were going to faff around...avoiding the more pertinent issue raised in that there post of mine, and get hung up on the unimportant. no surprise there. albeit, i maintain that you can disagree with the pope without having to lie or be dishonorable. how this position makes me a roman catholic is simply unfathomable by me, walai.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
Serving god is different from serving GOD. Jesus as you guys do call him God will definitely deny it.
sergio-zlatan:
obeying & diligently serving him. -----are you sure that you are obeying God while you ignore the old testament bible and follow the revised editions by your pastor and you can passionately call that word of God!.....All these imbalances are not in islam! Prophet muhamed said (s.a.w) if a muslim don't believe in jesus (isa) that person is a non muslim!.......OPEN YOUR MIND HEART EAR and see Islam remain the only religion unaltered so what are you waiting my brother!
Na by force?

IMO, Just stick to serving God, obeying & diligently serving him. Believe in the trinity that's all. I've learnt that most doctrines/teachings aren't always true.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
jim jones:

...easily proves my point. madam seriallink, i inserted that deliberately to prove just how perfunctory your responses are. i knew you were going to faff around...avoiding the more pertinent issue raised in that there post of mine, and get hung up on the unimportant. no surprise there. albeit, i maintain that you can disagree with the pope without having to lie or be dishonorable. how this position makes me a roman catholic is simply unfathomable by me, walai.

Oh okay, you didn't see the part that he debunked other pagan practices right?

Olarajee: Christ's birth date is not the only controversy raised by the Pope in his new book – he also said that contrary to the traditional Nativity scene, there were no oxen, donkeys or other animals at Jesus's birth.

I'm still convinced you are not being honest with your sexùal orientation. Just admit that you are gay grin

You do know what Leviticus 20:13 says about gays right? I think that law should be applied to you! Must you call a man, a woman to make your point clear?

Lev 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by blunderass01: 1:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
Advocate, you are such a fool.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Peterpan1(m): 1:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
Will you just SHUT UP, wether thf christian calender is correct or not, wether some so called scholars support your proof or not, wether your book sold a million copies in print or not, that does not affect my salvation or any one else, the only thing that can save is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour and doing His will.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Peterpan1(m): 1:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
Will you just SHUT UP, wether the christian calender is correct or not, wether some so called scholars support your proof or not, wether your book sold a million copies in print or not, that does not affect my salvation or any one else, the only thing that can save is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour and doing His will.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by oobim(m): 1:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
'The earth is the Lords' and the fullness thereof,...'The pegans didnt create those days/dates,God did.Many of the products we use today are made by cultists,but as a christian,u use them to your advantage.I may nt knw much,but i knw for certain that Jesus was born,He died ,rose and He shal return.Pls,accept d gift of SALVATION!JESUS lives.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by advocate666: 2:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
blunderass01: Advocate, you are such a fool.

Matthew 5:22
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by LOVEGINO(m): 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2012
advocate666:
grin grin grin grin grin
We are winning.
We are winning!
AND U RE HAPPI? WHEN IS UR BUFDAI?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by egbenduru: 2:47pm On Nov 22, 2012
We are in an age of enlightenment,age of KALI.The pope has not said anyting new or misleading or anything to portray that the catholic church has lost focus.The Bible is the word of God in human language because human beings will read it,walk in its light to descover who they are and that is self realisation.There is no doubt that there is A JESUS,born in a human family because he must save humanbeings and show them the way to the father,to reclaim what the first Adam lost the glorified nature of man from the beginning.Yes it is true that Christmas originallly was not a christian feast but the developments in the Roman empire ocassioned by the winning influence of christianity in the territory brought adaptions,instead of continuing to worship the sungod,celebrating it on the 25th of december,the roman empire having embraced christianity with its values agrred to the change in focus,understanding that Christ is the light,the old pagan feast had to give way to the new understanding,christ became to focus no more the sun god.In every age because we are a pilgrim church,church of saints and sinners,a listening church open to changes,developments in the light of truth,we can always highlight certain misunderstanding,that is what is meant to be human and trully reasonable.There is no point pretending claiming to be all knowing leaving all to the surprise of God who is all knowing.Religion must take us to a point where we know no more the Christian or the muslim,to a point where we simply see each person as a child and servant of God using one language the language of LOVE.If Religion does not move us from the point where we thought we knew to the point we realise that all we ever wanted,searched for traversing physical distance is simply and effortlessly located where we actually started the research IN US,then we err.MAN KNOW THYSELF!

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Gentlepapi(m): 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
frosbel: Man of SIN doing what he knows best , working against Christ !!
who is d man of sin if i may ask hope its nt pope cos u kan rememba jesus personally placed him dere wen he said to d 1st pope peter u are a rock on dis rock i will build my chuz nd d gate of HELL can nt prevail against it. Truth be told am disappointed wif ya comment
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by iykemyke: 3:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
yes the book was released on wednesday. A reminder to all the book was signed as ratzinger benedith meaning is an academic work that can be revealed and criticised. It was not signed as his capacity as the pope which cannot be questioned, cos the pope is infalliable.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Anyigala(m): 3:43pm On Nov 22, 2012
Why some people insist in making a complete full of themselves on NL? You mustn’t comment on everything, especially things you have a very limited knowledge of.
It is a given fact from ages that 25th of December is not the actual birthday of Jesus Christ, no anyone knows the exact date or year. Pope is merely stating the obvious, only the ignorant think it’s a controversy. He also said that their were probably no Donkey or Angels singing at His birth since it was nowhere written in the Scriptures. These are obvious facts known to people on the know and unknown to very many ignorant people. My Grandfather’s birthday was not known because their were no form of records when he was born. His children had to make an educated guess from when he was baptised. That didn’t stop us celebrating his birthday on that day and it didn’t make him less of a man.
The point Is that the date Jesus was born has nothing do with His teaching, life, miracles and divinity. He is the one true saviour of the world. He is God the Son, the Word that was made flesh and He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I suggest people should make an effort to read the book before blabbing on NL. Cardinal Ratzinger aka Pope Benedict XVI is one the greatest theologians of his generation, he not only know the Bible, he also know the history of Christianity more than any one I can think of. .FACT!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can You Kill For God To Prove Your Faith? / Pastor Adeboye: Enugu State Government Allowed Us Use The Stadium Without Cost / Woman, Your Husband Is Your God.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.