Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Divided Emotions - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Divided Emotions (63235 Views)

19 Words For Emotions You Feel But Can’t Explain / Waves Of Emotions / Twisted Emotions - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:40pm On Dec 16, 2012
"JUST A MINUTE!"

Sonia was absolutely horrified. "Darling..." Her eyes darted to James'.

"Go!" He whispered against her lips. "I'll be in the kitchen."

She fairly leapt out of his arms and tore off her robe on the way to her room. Once there, she pulled on jeans and a sweatshirt. Then she ran through the house to greet her in-laws, totally out of breath. "I didn't know you were coming!" She gave both of them a hug.

Janet patted her hair in the hall mirror. "We called and left a message when you weren't responding."

Sonia urged them into the living room, where they sat down. "James and I just got back from Ligwai. Kenneth and Divine wanted to show me where he plans to live."

Her in-laws would have seen James' car outside, so she didn't dare lie about it.

When nothing was forthcoming, she continued "Divine and Kenneth are camping out on the property tonight. They'll be back early because Divine has to go to school in the morning. James and I were just about ready to eat. I think he bought enough to feed an army." She walked to the doorway and called to him.

"James, bring plates and cutlery for four, will you?"

"What's that ring on your finger, Sonia?" Janet demanded.

. . .Oh, no. . .

"Sonia and I are officially engaged, Mrs. Brown." The announcement came from James, who entered the living room loaded down with dishes and containers of food. "We're going to be married as soon as the divorce is final."

Kenneth's father sat there attempting to pacify his wife. He kept clearing his throat.

"We heard you'd become engaged on the cruise, but we thought ofcourse you'd call it off now that Kenny's back home." Janet's voice had grown cold and stiff.

Sonia's hands shook as she dished the food onto four plates. "I returned James' ring and told Kenneth I'd like to try to make our marriage work again. But he said no, Mom. He's filed for divorce. I received the complaint yesterday. He wants to get on with his life.
"In a few weeks, he'll own a property in Ligwai. He's doing everything possible to carve out a new future."

Janet's eyes glittered a hostile red. "He's only doing this because you think you're in love with James. It isn't what he wants to do. I can assure you of that."

This time Kenneth's mother was too angry for tears. She turned her venom on James. "How does it feel to move into another man's house and steal another man's wife, Mr. Okoye?"

Sonia shook her head at James to indicate that he shouldn't respond. This confrontation had been coming for some time. With Divine out of the house, tonight was as good a time as any to set Kenneth's parents straight.

"Mom, I know you're hurting terribly. I know you are too, Dad. But we can't change what's happened. We've all got to move forward. Kenneth's doing better than any of us. This evening he and James met and shook hands. They're both behaving like civilized human beings because they know what it means to Divine."

Now that she'd started, she couldn't stop. "I wish this decision didn't have to cause you and Dad so much pain. You know how grateful I am for everything you've done for me over the years. I want your love and friendship to continue forever. But the fact remains that Kenneth has made his choice."

"And you can't even wait until the divorce is final to put that man's ring back on?" Janet lashed out.

"I'm in love with Sonia, Mrs. Brown," James inserted in a calm tone. "She's in love with me. We've known each other for two years, and we're ready to have a life together."

"What kind of life can it be when she...Kenny's wife...took an oath before God to love him through the good times and bad, in sickness and health, to comfort and keep him...until death...?"

James' lips had thinned, a ready sign that he was barely containing his rage. Sonia was feeling really frightened and tried to hold him back, but it was like trying to single-handedly change the course of a rushing river.

"Your son was presumed dead for more than six years, ma. Did you expect your daughter-in-law to stay in mourning for the rest of her life? Do those vows reach beyond the grave?" He asked furiously.

Janet got to her feet. "There was no grave, Mr. Okoye. My son is very much alive. He fought for his country. Did you? I don't see any hands or eyes missing on you." She drove the point home.

Sonia flinched, sick to her stomach. "Mom...don't say another word!"

But Janet was too far gone to listen. "He spent six and a half years in a prison underground where they tortured him, beat him up repeatedly, day in and day out. They put a gun to his head every morning, threatening to kill his wife and child if he didn't talk. Every time they pulled the trigger, he didn't know if he'd be dead or not." She broke down sobbing hysterically.

"They did that?" Sonia weaved and would have fallen if James hadn't been there to hold her.
. . .I can't bear it, I can't bear it. . .
She clapped a hand over her mouth, trying to stifle her pain.

"They did that and more. But they didn't destroy him. We all know who did that, don't we, Mr. Okoye? I've heard of kicking a man while he's down, but I never dreamed you could stoop that low."

Sonia couldn't look at James. "Stop it!" She shouted, half-sobbing. "James doesn't deserve any of this. If you're going to start placing blame, then blame me." She pounded her chest. "I'm the one who didn't believe Ken was still alive. I' m the one who let James think he had a chance. It's not his fault! I want you to apologize to him. If you don't, you're not welcome in this house anymore."

"Sonia..." James whispered with compassion.

"I mean it, Mom."

When he could see that his wife wasn't about to speak, George got tiredly to his feet. "We'll go, Sonia. Janet and I will stay over at a hotel tonight. Then we can see Kenneth tomorrow."

"Dad?" She swung around. "Surely you don't blame James for this."

He stood there and shook his head. Tears ran down his pale cheeks. "No. War is an evil thing. It's the handiwork of the devil."

Sonia watched them leave. Even when the front door closed, she stayed frozen to the spot.

James didn't say a word. He simply picked her up in his arms and carried her to the couch. She burrowed her face in his neck and sobbed.
Re: Divided Emotions by trixandra(f): 8:54pm On Dec 16, 2012
Wow, this is getting more interesting. Keep it coming. You are so gooood Omolola
Re: Divided Emotions by DAvIt0(m): 8:59pm On Dec 16, 2012
really interesting!!!! but Sonia aint trying though
Re: Divided Emotions by MumZ(f): 9:02pm On Dec 16, 2012
So sad. Pains everywhere.
Re: Divided Emotions by IZUKWU(m): 9:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
Emotions fracturing
Re: Divided Emotions by Ice4jez(m): 9:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
dat mother inlaw is not nice at all.seven yrs no be beans now.james too try .two yrs without doing sometin no be beans.me no be father now
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 16, 2012
Hmmn, Sonia is in so much pains, but something tells me she will end up with Kenneth again, Lola se mo right?
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 16, 2012
Goodness me!Poor girl,poor mom and very poor dad. Hmmm, we can't hurt these much people so we don't hurt James!Please, this guy has over-stayed his tenor.Abi, what nonsense is sonia doing thinking she loves this him? Abeg, Ken has all the aces in his favour,a stand up guy he is. Omolollypop, my tender heart can't take this love triangle any more. Ok, let Sonia go to Ken if Ken won't come to her,afterall she knows where all the bodies were buried. Good job Lolly!
Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 10:26pm On Dec 16, 2012
Oh Sonia...cnt imagin d emotional trauma she'd b going 2ru
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 10:44pm On Dec 16, 2012
Shollym: Hmmn, Sonia is in so much pains, but something tells me she will end up with Kenneth again, Lola se mo right?

*lips sealed* cheesy
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 16, 2012
Should we expect more 2nyt? Justasking....
Re: Divided Emotions by Dumzii: 11:00pm On Dec 16, 2012
There was no grave, Mr. Okoye. My son is very much alive. He fought for his country. Did you? I don't see any hands or eyes missing on you." OMG.....Lola, ur good!! I actually teared up when I read this part
Re: Divided Emotions by Jaygrl(f): 11:01pm On Dec 16, 2012
This story Iڪ getting more interesting...Omolola thumbs up to ya smiley
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 16, 2012
More ink o Lola wink

#Teamkenneth#
Re: Divided Emotions by naturecome: 4:13am On Dec 17, 2012
Omolola1:

*lips sealed* cheesy

Omolola, I commend you on making every post of this story interesting. When I first started reading I was practically updating this page every hour. But lately, 2 days have gone by before I bothered to check this page again. Going by the well thought out format of this story, I do believe that you have the full manuscript with you.
Please, try and post it all so we can have some closure on "Divided Emotions" cheesy
Re: Divided Emotions by maxiflexi(f): 7:56am On Dec 17, 2012
James ain't getting it on 2nyt tongue. I'm sorry Lola, but I never liked him from page 1, there's something almost creepy about him, maybe his temper. I guess I'm #teamKenneth
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 8:27am On Dec 17, 2012
naturecome:

Omolola, I commend you on making every post of this story interesting. When I first started reading I was practically updating this page every hour. But lately, 2 days have gone by before I bothered to check this page again. Going by the well thought out format of this story, I do believe that you have the full manuscript with you.
Please, try and post it all so we can have some closure on "Divided Emotions" cheesy

Yes I do have the full manuscript
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 9:14am On Dec 17, 2012
Omolola1:

Yes I do have the full manuscript

It was too obvious. A writer would know.
Re: Divided Emotions by creamchiccb(f): 9:37am On Dec 17, 2012
Nyz work
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 11:34am On Dec 17, 2012
maclatunji:

It was too obvious. A writer would know.

Its normal to have a full story before posting
Re: Divided Emotions by maclatunji: 12:13pm On Dec 17, 2012
^A good number of people don't. If you ever publish, I would like an interview with you. Most likely for my blog, I would like to know how you do your writing.
Re: Divided Emotions by Splendblex(f): 12:56pm On Dec 17, 2012
Lola pleaseeeeeee o,save a soul biko! Update naaaa
Re: Divided Emotions by tijehi(f): 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2012
na wa o, person go just dey beg beg for update. I don tire to beg jare.

But Lola, Biko, just do something.

Fantastic story.

A good read.
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2012
maclatunji: ^A good number of people don't. If you ever publish, I would like an interview with you. Most likely for my blog, I would like to know how you do your writing.

Aii
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2012
tijehi: na wa o, person go just dey beg beg for update. I don tire to beg jare.

But Lola, Biko, just do something.

Fantastic story.

A good read.

grin
Am at work na!
Re: Divided Emotions by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 17, 2012
Lola dont mind all those amebo pipu jare. We are happy ro wait till tonight.

#teamkenneth#

1 Like

Re: Divided Emotions by ruth42k3(f): 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2012
hey omolola hw r u doing?you are doing a very wonderful job here.may God strengthen and heal you completely. kiss
Re: Divided Emotions by emygreat747(m): 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2012
in as much as i don't want to sound greedy,i can't help bt say,"lola pls we r still waiting"
Re: Divided Emotions by Omolola1(f): 9:14pm On Dec 17, 2012
"WERE YOUR BUNKERS ever bombed, Dad?"

Kenneth took a deep breath and turned on his side to face his son. He'd thought the time would come when he'd want to talk about the past, but thoughts of Sonia alone with James were tearing him apart.

"Several times, near the beginning of our captivity."

"What did it feel like?"

"Well...I can remember one night. I knew it was night because they'd just transferred us from one bunker to the other. It was cold. No sun. Even blindfolded, you knew it had to be night. Anyway, they'd just shoved us inside when the air-raid sirens went off. Suddenly I heard the front end of a low-altitude fighter coming in.
"It's easy to determine when a fighter's pointed at you. There's this very district sound, kind of a trackling noise, then there's the concussion of the bunker.
"I can't describe it very well, but you kind of feel like you're floating in air while the bunker's being hit. It's an unbelievably strange feeling. The bunker vibrates and there's this popping in your ears, but it's more than a pop. You wonder if you're dead or alive. And then you hear the second fighter, so you know you're not dead yet and you wait for a third then a fourth.
"Since most formations fly in hours, that wait for the fourth one seems extra-long. By now the whole banker's in chaos. Everyone's shouting and yelling. The Iraqi guards scream at each other, at us.
"That one time I kept thinking if M.T and I could run out of the doors, we'd get transportation by hijacking a local bus, and we'd steal some weapons and find somebody who spoke English.
"But when the fighters stopped coming and we were shoved in a cell, and any chance for escape was gone."

"Whoa! Dad!" Divine audibly gulped back sobs.

"I don't see how you lived through all that." After his tears were spent, he said, "Dad..."

"Yes?"

"I wish Mom were here."

"So do I," Kenneth said softly.

"I wish James would die."

"Don't ever say that again, Divine!"

"I'm sorry."

Kenneth put his arm around his son and hugged him close. "Even if he was dead, your mother would still love him. Death wouldn't change a thing. You kept loving me, right?"

"Yes."

"Go to sleep, son. We've got to be up early in the morning. Listen...just in case I have a nightmare, I'm going to move my bag a couple of yards away from yours. Sometimes I fling around. I'd never hurt you, but if you try to touch me, I might hit you thinking I'm trying to protect myself from one of the guards. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Yes."

Kenneth was tempted to tell Divine about his mother's bruise, but thought the better of it for fear Divine might read more into that night than was there. If only he had been aware of Sonia's arms around him...

"Are you scared, son? If so, you can sleep in the car."

"I'm kind of nervous. But I figure if you survived all that torture, I ought to be able to survive one of your bad dreams."

"Like father, like son, eh? You know what? Your mother not only raised a wonderful boy, she raised an honest one. You're terrific, Dee."

"You're the best!"

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you, too. Good night."

Fortunately for Divine, Kenneth couldn't sleep, not when his thoughts were filled with visions of Sonia in James' arms.

As soon as Kenneth knew his son had fallen off, he got out of his bag and walked around for hours, making plans for his farm, thinking about the innovations he and M.T would make. Together they would be successful. He was determined about that.

Whatever the future held, he wanted to build something solid for his son. Right now he couldn't imagine marrying again, having more children. He supposed it was possible. One day he'd try dating, but he wasn't going to hold his breath that anything would come out of it.

Thanks to his father, who'd watched over an investment of Kenneth's no one else knew about, he had enough income to keep him going until he made the farm profitable.

By the time the sun's rays were sending pink and gold shafts, Kenneth realized he should begin making breakfast. Divine's school would be starting in a little while over an hour. They'd have to hustle to arrive on time.

It was no news that Divine wasn't a morning person, especially after their late night. He ate with his eyes closed and had no idea what he was doing when he helped Kenneth load the Siena. The minute they were off, he fell asleep and was out for the count during the forty-minute drive to his school.

Kenneth pulled the car up in front and had to practically shove his son out the door. Divine muttered something incoherent but managed to give his dad a hug before he disappeared into the building with the other kids. Kenneth watched the scene with pure pleasure.

Eager to clean up, Kenneth headed to the hotel. The temptation to drive by Sonia's and see if the Mercedez was still there was overpowering. But Kenneth figured that, if he was reduced to spying on the enemy, he'd lost more than his hand in the war.

The minute he entered his hotel room, he saw the light flashing on the phone. Someone was trying to reach him,. He wanted the message to be from Sonia, but it was probably M.T. To his surprise, the desk informed him that his parents were staying at the hotel.

Though pleased that they'd driven up from Maitama to see him, he wondered why they hadn't slept at Sonia's. When he called their room, his father answered. Apparently his mother was still asleep, but George would be over in a few minutes. He had something serious to discuss with Kenneth.

The somber tone of his voice didn't bode well. Kenneth felt a sense of dread as he showered and dressed. His worries that something was wrong were borne out when his father appeared at the door looking pale and drawn. Kenneth had the distinct impression Sonia was involved in some way.

Kenneth drew his father into the room, then ushered him to the small dining table, where they could sit down.

"Kenny..." George leaned forward with his hands on his knees "...I hardly know where to begin. It's about your mother..."

Kenneth was sitting back in the other chair, his long legs extended in front of him, ankles crossed. "I'm aware that mom hasn't been herself. She probably needs some counseling, Dad."

His father nodded his head sadly. "If you'd seen her in action last night, you wouldn't have recognised her."

"This has to do with Sonia, doesn't it?"

"Yes. Your mom hurt her deeply. Maybe irrevocably."

A jolt like a current of electricity passed through Kenneth. "Tell me what happened."

Listening to his father relate the incident of the previous night, Kenneth felt as if his insides had exploded. He couldn't sit still any longer. The thing he'd been dreading had happened. He'd lost Sonia finally and completely, and now his family was reacting."

"I couldn't get your mom to apologize. I'm hoping you can influence her. She refuses to face reality. When we heard you were MIA, we couldn't believe it. We wouldn't believe it. We never gave up hope. Your mom was the strongest of us all, and I love her for it.
"But Sonia and James are another matter. They're planning to be married, and that's a fact your mother simply has to face or I don't know what will happen. Janet's unreachable right now..."

"Tell you what, Dad. After my therapy today, we'll take off to Dubai for a while. Just the three of us. Since I got home, Divine and I have been pretty much inseparable. I think he'll be able to handle my being gone for a week or so.
"Mom needs to understand that I'm going to make it without Sonia. Maybe by the time our vacation's over, she'll believe it."

"Thank you, son. You don't know how good that sounds. We've wanted to be able to spend time with you. This would be the best therapy your mom could have."

"I agree. So it's settled. Why don't you go on back to your room and tell Mom what we've planned? I'm going to take care of some last-minute business concerning the sale of the property. . .I want to make sure everything goes through while I'm gone. So, let's plan to leave here about two."

His father stood up. "Ah, Kenny." He hugged him hard. "It's so wonderful to have you back home."

"I feel the same way, Dad. It's what I longed for too, all that time."

"HAVE ONE S ORBITAL. The P orbitals have a more specific orientation of charge distribution. One of you asked about the hourglass distribution. This refers to the P orbital. For any one P orbital, the region of high-charge distribution is oriented with respect to an atom passing through the nucleus.
"This phase correctly implies the orientation as far as an axis is concerned, but it incorrectly implies that the electrons are confined to a specific volume.
"For a given principal quantum number of two or higher, there may be a maximum of three orbitals."

A movement out of the corner of her eye made Sonia pause in her lecture. She saw a tall dark male figure enter the auditorium and take a seat near the back.

Kenneth!

Her body started to tremble.
. . .He knows what happened last night. . .

Since his return from the war, he'd never made an appearance in her classroom. He'd never shown a modicum of interest. She could think of only one reason he was here... Class would be over in a few minutes. She dreaded being alone with him, but his presence ensured she had no other choice.

Clearing her throat, she tried to remember where she'd left off. "There may be a maximum of three P orbitals, Px, Py and Pz, oriented at right angles to each other along the x-axis, the y-axis and the z-axis, with the nuclears and constricted portions of the hourglasses at the origin."

Taking an unsteady breath because she couldn't withstand Kenneth's scrutiny another second, she announced that class was dismissed. Immediately the students began filing out of the hall.

Needing some way of channeling her nervous energy, she wiped off the equations she'd written off the portable board.

"While I was sitting there..." His deep familiar voice said, "I had to keep telling myself that the impressive and attractive Dr. Brown was once Sonia, the fun-loving, carefree girl who used to skip maths and physics classes with me to go for a ride in my dad's jeep. You've come a long way, baby."

Despite her fear about the outcome of this confrontation, his words brought a smile to her lips. She hesitated turning round to face him. She felt a reluctance to mar a shared memory that represented a time of pure bliss for her. In those days she could have done anything to be with Kenneth.

"All you had to do was flash that sunny smile and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven."

At last she turned to meet his gaze. "Kenneth Brown was the big man on campus. Captain of the football team and financial wizard all rolled into one. Every guy's friend. Every girl's secret fantasy. All you had to do was beckon me with those famous Brown eyes and I forgot who I was and what I was doing."

Kenneth's smile devastated her. It came to her then that he was starting to look more and more like the Kenneth she remembered. An older version, of course, but in all honesty, better-looking. She'd married a boy.

Now he was a man. An amazing man who'd come back from the dead a true hero. He was bigger than life. Bigger than death. . .

"We had our time in the sun, didn't we, sweetheart?"

She averted her eyes. It pained her to hear him say that. His use of the past tense had the effect of dashing every dream.

. . .What dream, Sonia? You're marrying James. It's all settled. . .
Re: Divided Emotions by Hummingbird: 10:07pm On Dec 17, 2012
No1 knws wat u going 2ru xcpt U..poor Sonia....memories hia.#team Kenneth al d way...9c work Lola
Re: Divided Emotions by Chirolechick: 10:11pm On Dec 17, 2012
Seriously dnt no wat 2 say, bt u r gud no doubt abt dt, I jst started readin ds ystday I wanted 2 mise so it wldnt finish bt I rushed thru d whole tin without hesitatn plus d fact dt I ws kinda inefficient @ d office 2day cos of ma buriful story, thumbs up, meanwhile help sonia na, she's goin thru a lot, abeg hlp james wtdraw jor *kenny all d way*
Gudnyt (abi is there more)
Re: Divided Emotions by creamchiccb(f): 10:47pm On Dec 17, 2012
Dis suspense iss killin mee Lola!plz help a sista out

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Tade - The Rise Of An Activist. / Chimamanda Adichie: I Stopped Attending Catholic Churches In Nigeria Because ... / Twist Of Fate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.