Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,172 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? (2269 Views)

Divorced Man Shares Marriage Advice He Wishes He Had / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). / Settling After Marriage(advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by mumumugu(m): 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2012
I observed that divorced people give good marital advice.

While married couple focus on patience, prayer and tolerance, teling u they have worse patner but chosen to over look it.

,divorced person begin by rèflecting on their previous relationship and spoting the major problem or hardship. They tell their fault and that of the patner. They tel u what they learnt from d broken relationship and what they would do difrently if entering another relationship. U hear things like WE WOULD DISCUS MORE ABOUT FINANCE,
;
to me, divorcd persons are better marital advicers

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 03, 2012
mumumugu: I observed that divorced people give good marital advice.

While married couple focus on patience, prayer and tolerance, teling u they have worse patner but chosen to over look it.

,divorced person begin by rèflecting on their previous relationship and spoting the major problem or hardship. They tell their fault and that of the patner. They tel u what they learnt from d broken relationship and what they would do difrently if entering another relationship. U hear things like WE WOULD DISCUS MORE ABOUT FINANCE,
;
That's another way to look at it.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by greatgod2012(f): 5:49pm On Dec 03, 2012
Yes, based on what they have passed thru, they advise based on personal experience, and no sane person will want his/her loved ones to pass thru what they passed thru which led them to divorce. I am very sure that no one likes to be tagged "divorcee", only that, sometimes, its unavoidable because of some factors, before, signing for divorce, one must have tried to endure some things, only to find out later dt d other party is not ready to make d marriage work, hence, divorce. So, in order not to allow such things happen to a loved one and their experience while enduring, they have better advice to give.
My opinion anyway.

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 03, 2012
IMO .... I think they always focus only on the issues they are faced with in their first experience , I don't think they have the broad knowledge about marriage , they're still learning too, just cause they're divorced doesn't label them marriage counsellors.

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
Brand_new:
That's another way to look at it.

Yep, it is one way to look at it. From experience speaking with some divorced folks, I have learnt quite a lot about how to interact with my partner and also with people in general. However, I will say here that not all reflective thinking is good for you. Divorce also leaves many more people bitter - many of them with nothing good to say of their experience.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 7:06pm On Dec 03, 2012

;

no they are not......
they are the last people you should even meet for advice about marriage....they would be too focused on the reasons your marriage might fail instead of looking at the reasons it might succeed! i like to hear from people who are positive about the things i am about to embark on not the ones who would see negatives all around it. put water halfway in your glass and analyse this - do you think the cup is half-filled or half-empty? are you an optimist or a pessimist?
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
This makes me wonder why alot of people especially ladies run to and look up to oprah for marital advice.
I mean, whats her experience?

Anyways, I digress. . .
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 7:34pm On Dec 03, 2012
OMO IBO: This makes me wonder why alot of people especially ladies run to and look up to oprah for marital advice.

Anyways, I digress. . .

what does oprah know about marriage?
i can write everything she knows about marriage on a mustard seed!
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
In Oprah's defence;

Oprah never advice about marriage but she has a network of professionals that talks about marriage, for example Dr Phil talks about marriage on Oprah , Dr Oz talks about health issues, Nathan( hope I'm right) talks about home decor , that Rabbi talks about children facing parents divorce .... And so on.... I haven't seen or read any of her issues talk about marriage .
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Dec 03, 2012
OMO IBO: This makes me wonder why alot of people especially ladies run to and look up to oprah for marital advice.

Anyways, I digress. . .

I wouldn't knock them before taken careful look at what they might see. Oprah has been in a relationship with the same man for about the past almost 30 years now, longer than most marriages. And she has lived with this man for longer than many can boast of today. Now she she is in her old age and who knows she might remain in the same relationship till death even.

My point is she has essentially experienced most 95% of what most married couples would claim they have experienced, and she seems to be doing OK so far. So I would definitely consider relationship advice from her. Sure she does not have the marriage certificate to show for her relationship(yet) and she does not have kids to claim as her achievement(Not all married couples have kids anyways), but her union most definitely comes with dealing with the the in-laws(technically not called that in her case I would think) and there are the issues your typical couple deals with when working and living together.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 03, 2012

;

By their fruits you shall know them (please attack me). If they were that knowledgeable about marriage, they would probably be married today. And you never know - misery loves company, they just may want you to join them too.

In my opinion, when choosing a mentor, I choose people I want to be like. I do not want to be divorced, so I would not want a divorcee to mentor me about marriage. I will look for someone whose marriage I like and ask for advice. I may be wrong but that is just my style.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
Speaking of mentors, my mentor is a divorced man in his 70's. I will first take advice from him on life, love, relationships, career, spirituality, even raising kids, than I will from any other blood bag out there on the planet.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 8:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
Nashville:

By their fruits you shall know them (please attack me). If they were that knowledgeable about marriage, they would probably be married today. And you never know - misery loves company, they just may want you to join them too.

In my opinion, when choosing a mentor, I choose people I want to be like. I do not want to be divorced, so I would not want a divorcee to mentor me about marriage. I will look for someone whose marriage I like and ask for advice. I may be wrong but that is just my style.

in order words, if you want to become a president, you would run to obasanjo for advice not ojukwu? cheiiiiii - nigerians can be fery fery intelligent!

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by baby124: 8:04pm On Dec 03, 2012
You can learn a thing or two from divorced people. Even married people half the time dont know what they are talking about. Every marriage is unique and comes with its own set of complexities. This is because every human being is different. I have learnt not to put all situations in a box, but be flexible in my thinking. Take the good and leave the bad. You can even learn from a child if you are open. wink. There is no one size fits all in life, and no one has all the answers or solutions.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 03, 2012
You should meet smart, knowledgeable, level headed and reasonable people for advice; married or divorced.

If you are not able to take the advice of a divorced person and process it and apply it to your own situation for your own benefit, you may be a simpleton!

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
baby_123: You can learn a thing or two from divorced people. Even married people half the time dont know what they are talking about. Every marriage is unique and comes with its own set of complexities. This is because every human being is different. I have learnt not to put all situations in a box, but be flexible in my thinking. Take the good and leave the bad. You can even learn from a child if you are open. wink. There is no one size fits all in life, and no one has all the answers or solutions.

Yeah...What Baby said.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2012
ileobatojo: You should meet, smart, knowledgeable, level headed and reasonable people for advice; married or divorced.

If you are not able to take the advice of a divorced person and process it and apply it to your own situation for your own benefit, you may be a simpleton!

so if you want to get a child, you would seek someone who's barren for advice? mama biology, it's monday and you are already brainfarting!

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 03, 2012
coogar:

so if you want to get a child, you would seek someone who's barren for advice? mama biology, it's monday and you are already brainfarting!

Is it possible that one might learn what not to do from said barren woman's experiences? Might that information be helpful? Might the barren woman have gained a lot of knowledge about the subject matter in her quest for a child that could be useful to others? Ehn, baba alternative to biology?! You berra start assimilating my brainfarts oh, they are more useful that some other people's 'brain genius'!!

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 8:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
ileobatojo:
Is it possible that one might learn what not to do from said barren woman's experiences? Might that information be helpful? Might the barren woman have gained a lot of knowledge about the subject matter in her quest for a child that could be useful to others? Ehn, baba alternative to biology?! You berra start assimilating my brainfarts oh, they are more useful that some other people's 'brain genius'!!

why learn "not what to do" instead of learning "what to do"? humans complicate things for themselves.....if the barren woman had gained some experience about the subject matter in her quest then why is she still barren? shouldn't she be using that experience to help herself first? there's a yoruba adage about "before you take a shirt from someone as a gift, look at what he's wearing". mama biology, you dey disappoint me o!
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
coogar:

why learn "not what to do" instead of learning "what to do"? humans complicate things for themselves.....if the barren woman had gained some experience about the subject matter in her quest then why is she still barren? shouldn't she be using that experience to help herself first? there's a yoruba adage about "before you take a shirt from someone as a gift, look at what he's wearing". mama biology, you dey disappoint me o!

Kai, this old man, did you sleep well last night? Are you fatigued? grin

The fact that she can't help herself does not mean she can't give advice. That's why I said it has to be a reasonable, smart person. If the advice is only in the form of, 'do this, and you will immediately get pregnant no matter what', then you have to question why it hasn't worked for her. That's why the 'advicee' has to apply their own little grey cells to the situation.

If her barrenness was as a result of an incompetent surgeon destroying her uterus from a fibroid surgery, if she advises you not to go to that particular doctor, will you not take that advice into consideration because she is barren?

'What not to do' is equally as useful as 'what to do'!! Ever heard the phrase 'dos and don'ts'?

You're welcome, sir! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 9:15pm On Dec 03, 2012
ileobatojo:
Kai, this old man, did you sleep well last night? Are you fatigued? grin

slept like a baby.....what about you - did you sleep well? grin

The fact that she can't help herself does not mean she can't give advice. That's why I said it has to be a reasonable, smart person. If the advice is only in the form of, 'do this, and you will immediately get pregnant no matter what', then you have to question why it hasn't worked for her. That's why the 'advicee' has to apply their own little grey cells to the situation.

so there's a condition attached - the adviser must be smart and reasonable, right? now how do we know who's smart and reasonable - is it tattooed on their foreheads?

If her barrenness was as a result of an incompetent surgeon destroying her uterus from a fibroid surgery, if she advises you not to go to that particular doctor, will you not take that advice into consideration because she is barren?

that's a freak accident - too extreme sef!

'What not to do' is equally as useful as 'what to do'!! Ever heard the phrase 'dos and don'ts'? You're welcome, sir! grin grin

a happily married woman can give dos n don'ts too....she also has a live evidence in her ammo to convince the advisee that her method works. i fail to see how someone who's not married can give a balanced opinion on marriage.......mama biology, you have disappointed me again this week - i am heartbroken!
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 03, 2012
coogar:

slept like a baby.....what about you - did you sleep well? grin

so there's a condition attached - the adviser must be smart and reasonable, right? now how do we know who's smart and reasonable - is it tattooed on their foreheads?

that's a freak accident - too extreme sef!

a happily married woman can give dos n don'ts too....she also has a live evidence in her ammo to convince the advisee that her method works. i fail to see how someone who's not married can give a balanced opinion on marriage.......mama biology, you have disappointed me again this week - i am heartbroken!

Okay, pele. Have some aboniki balm for your disappointed broken heart. Make sure you rub it undiluted o grin grin.

I don talk my own, and ya know I'm right (as usual) wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by coogar: 9:30pm On Dec 03, 2012
ileobatojo:
Okay, pele. Have some aboniki balm for your disappointed broken heart. Make sure you rub it undiluted o grin grin.

the witchdoctor herself.......
she knows the exact substance to rub diluted or undiluted. you better go to dragon's den n make money from this precocious talent of yours. you are very gifted when it comes to traditional herbs. grin

I don talk my own, and ya know I'm right (as usual) wink cheesy

na oversabi dey worry you - you are not right one jot on this matter! however, when it comes to witchdoctoring - you are peerless!
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 03, 2012
Where is aunt debrief, cotton and supreme leader jenny to comment on this knotty issue?
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:38pm On Dec 03, 2012
Guitarlife: Where is aunt debrief, cotton and supreme leader jenny to comment on this knotty issue?

Don't start. Can't u leave their names out of your mouth?

Where have u been by d way?

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
ileobatojo: You should meet, smart, knowledgeable, level headed and reasonable people for advice; married or divorced.

kiss kiss

No homo. Lol

1 Like

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 03, 2012
coogar:

the witchdoctor herself.......
she knows the exact substance to rub diluted or undiluted. you better go to dragon's den n make money from this precocious talents of yours. you are very gifted when it comes to traditional herbs. grin

na oversabi dey worry you - you are not right one jot on this matter! however, when it comes to witchdoctoring - you are peerless!

angry angry grin grin grin

Tgirl4real:

kiss kiss

No homo. Lol

Lol grin grin
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 03, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
Tgirl4real:

I've been travelling all over Nigeria. I need to get a wife before this year runs out and you know just how bereft lagos babes are.
So I heard from grapevine sources that 'em fulani gals are the most manageable and marriageable women left in Nigeria. I had to make the trip
you know.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Tgirl4real(f): 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
Guitarlife: I've been travelling all over Nigeria. I need to get a wife before this year runs out and you know just how bereft lagos babes are.
So I heard from grapevine sources that 'em fulani gals are the most manageable and marriageable women left in Nigeria. I had to make the trip
you know.

Hmmm...anoda attempt at derailing the thread.

What happened to Sisikill and Jidegirl, are they not good enuf? grin
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Hmmm...anoda attempt at derailing the thread.

What happened to Sisikill and Jidegirl, are they not good enuf? grin
Hah! Jidegal is married you know. I don't even understand how she snuck her way into my head.
Well, we thank Gaawd, shes now history and for Sisikill, she too get shakara though she sabi cook sha and that her tiny waist na sight for sore eyes.
Re: Meeting Divorced People For Marriage Advice :. Is It Reasonable? by bjcole(m): 10:51pm On Dec 03, 2012
m wife's cousin divorced her husband (a cool headed man by IMO) & i told be careful of ur cousin, she was like why, is she nt my sister.I was out of town for a while & she went & stayed wit her, she didnt believe what she saw,newtworking, otunbas, Alhajis & others, she was like, is this what my sister is doing? i told her, didnt i tel u 2 be careful? Now is just hi hi they do, so is dat d kind of person m wife shd go to 4 advice? is it not advice on how 2 be free 4rm men wahala she wil give? abegi

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If Your Child's Teacher Did This To Your Daughter, What Would You Do? / Sister-Inlaw Gets The New Car That Brother's Wife Sowed To Pastor Back (pic/vid) / Why Are Women So scarce At That Point A Man Really Wants A Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.