Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,222 members, 7,811,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry (8420 Views)

Being An Opposition Party, Not Licence To Abuse Buhari, APC Tells PDP / Is This An Opposition Or A Conspiracy Against GEJ? / What Manner Of An Opposition Party Is APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Iolo(m): 9:26am On Dec 05, 2012
Goddex:

Your Lagos that you praise so much is still one of three worst cities to live in on earth.
Interestingly, this is the same city your so-called progressive ACN have ruled for 13yrs.

You made such assertion with no links to back up your claims.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by ypzilanti: 9:31am On Dec 05, 2012
Guk:

Fashola!!! Private Jet? for where? Let me tell you what i used my own eyes to see about this man at the International Airport in Lagos. (1) Only 2 of his personal aides followed him to departure point. His aide camp with gun was not even there. (2) This man wheeled his hand luggage himself and picked it up and placed it on the table for searching before walking into the plane. (3) This man walked into the plane on his own, no aide or advance party surrounded him. He was on his way out to meet his family on a short holiday.

Asides that, his convoy is less than 5 cars with no siren blaring to clear road for him

Usually 3 or 4 cars. No siren. No harassing of Lagos motorists. The only security measure is that they drive in a fashion to avoid you overtaking them. I love him for that.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Guk: 9:32am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo: Am I asking anyone to defend government policies?
I'm simply asking why infrustructural development from Akwa Ibom

which has the best infrustructure in Nigeria argueably next to Abuja, goes unmentioned.
I want people to realize that it's all politics as well. I'm not saying PDP is good or thing government is the best but the opposition is a part of the government as well.

A lot of people rate Governors on Aesthetics. My question is have they provided an enabling environment that makes businesses grow organically. Roads are fantastic and needed but moreso self sustaining industries. Let me use to examples that readily come to mind in Lagos state as i do not know much about other states beyond what i read on their websites. (By the way, you dont have to rely on the media to promote your works. You have your own official website to let the world know what you are doing)

Another key point is, if whatever you have put in place has not attracted businesses to your domain, then it clearly means that state is not investment attractive.

Lagos state is building a railway line and that has even before completion, created prosperity along that route. Value of properties have risen; plots of land are been scrambled for; businesses are expectant; buildres and artisans are extremely busy working on peoples construction round the clock; dead warehouses arecoming to life again. Tradefair complex is booming again.

Same goes for Lagos Epe expressway, where the opening of that area has brought about 18 hours constant activity especially for construction workers.

In contrast, i see some states building fantastic new roads and bridges that is leading nowhere but to the governors' village. No factories; warehouses are spring up as a result of those fine roads been built....there is a disconnect somewhere there.

Also be aware that majority of these infrastructure projects are conduit pipes for corruption.

Having said all of the above, please rate your prefered governor with the yardstick below:

Consensus Oriented (An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole)

Participatory (the broad participation of constituents in the direction and operation of political systems)

Following the Rule of Law (citizens can expect to be treated fairly by a justified government. )

Effective and Efficient (Effective: Adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result. Efficient: Performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

Accountable (the obligation of an individual or organization to account for its activities, accept responsibility for them, and to disclose the results)

Transparent (the concept of removing all barriers to —and the facilitating of— free and easy public access to corporate information and the laws, rules, social connivance and processes that facilitate and protect those individuals and corporations that freely join, develop, and improve the process

Responsive(Readily reacting to suggestions, influences, appeals, or efforts)

Equitable and Inclusive(Must recognise diversity and difference. Must accommodate differing meanings of citizenship that cut across gender, political, cultural, and social lines)

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by jpphilips(m): 9:33am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo: I get the feeling that Nigerian sentiment is the way it is because the opposition controls the media, and being more progressive minded than the PDP, controls new forms of media pretaining to the internet (I personally know PDP's party line up in my state and non of these men are tech savvy enough to operate a smart phone talkless of understand the internet).

If you look at the internet, the nigerian personalities that are most savvy at using it
El Rufai
Utomi
Ribadu
etc.

PDP's 'old school' line up has been completely taken by storm.

The reason I want to point this out is because I'm coming to see the Nigeria's media is now dominated by the opposition and this is why it's so incredibly negative. The media is one sided and is on a mission to defame the presidency, as is their role in democratic partisan politics. This is why the governors you see and hear about in the media

Oshiomole
Fashola
Mimiko
Amosun
Ajimobi
Rochas
Peter Obi

are all opposition men. they are called the progressives and their every move is highlighted to make the other PDP governors not look like their working. The impression is that these are the mend that are constantly and actively building their states up. Therefore people such as

Chime Sullivan
Imoke
Amaechi
Sule Lamido
Godswill Akpabio

and various performing PDP administrators are completely left out of the news. It's even more interested that out of the ones i've listed, the ACN governors, by far, get the most positive media attention. No opposition governor has done for their state what Akpabio and Amaechi have done for their own.
I'm not a PDP guy but it's a pattern i've noticed and i want people to steer clear of partisan deception when reading nigerian media and think with an independant mind. I too believe the PDP has failed this country,but i'm not going to pretend that there's nobody in PDP doing their job because that's not the truth as the media is trying to portray.

As much as i agree with some of your post the part in bold is very misleading. outside the 115 health care projects and renovation of all rivers state primary schools,(which are laudable projects anyways). a few road expansion projects.

All was a desperate measure to buy the Goodwill of the masses during his furore with Omehia.

I was once one of Amaechi's praise singers and it might interest you to note that i voted his second term. nevertheless, Amaechi since his second term has failed woefully like any other PDP rag tag in this country.

Amaechi all of a sudden lost focus in the area of Governance, from varying magnitude of corruption scandals to roads which was constructed with exorbitant sums but couldn't last through one rainy season, to Unscrupulous deductions from Civil servants wages, to the sack of LGA heads who questioned his seizure of their funds. the list is endless.

Amaechi lost not focus but vision and zeal to manage rivers state let alone move Rivers beyond the plum it has found itself.

Amaechi under his nose a group of corpers has petitioned the deductions made from their state allowance which was totally illegal and outrageous till date no response.
Have you been to rivers lately?? i don't think so i went through the books of rivers state from feb 2011 to October 2012, i was shocked at the money that state has accrued.

Amaechi is a walking disgrace living in the shadows of his past when the political ambiance was uncertain.

Rivers state is so dis organized. multiple taxation from different accredited Govt touts cant let one make profit, Woji road, Elenwo road, Eneka road to mention but a few are a disaster, these are roads situated in the heart of portharcort and yet the vision less Governors and his contractors are idling around.

Look at the congestion in the state, a monumental problem even before he assumed office yet he has no blueprint for it 6yrs on. the light rail project was the second biggest fraud in the state's history after Odili's turbine project.

what about his mass transit scheme?? BRT buses without BRT lane was what Amaechi could phantom or the pseudo subsidy he promised petroleum marketers. that Man is confused.

look at the mess his contractor is making at Okporo road for three and half years, nothing has been done save for the fact that Amaechi hurriedly demolished houses rendering people homeless. Amaechi in his infinite wisdom did not think that a flyover bridge over rumuodara junction will decongest Aba road.

Are you aware that human rights watch has amaechi on their list as the Gov that created highest homelessness for its citizens?? guess what? the roads for which accommodations were lost couldn't last the rainy season, what a shame.

please tell me something else, Amaechi is not just corrupt but a walking failure like his other PDP cohorts.

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by anonimi: 9:33am On Dec 05, 2012
ypzilanti:
The roads from PH-Enugu is a mess. Lagos-Ibadan is a mess. East-West road is virtually abandoned. Akwa-Ibom-Calabar is dilapidated. Benin-Ore is forever being reconstructed, but never ever completed. The populace plys the road and curses the government. They use APAPA OSHODI road and curse the government. Even the road from Murtala Mohammed airport into Lagos is a joke. Car park at the airport is being constructed for over 4 years now...it has been abandoned. I could go on forever.

You do well as you dey point out the problems with federal highways. Three Gbosas to you!!!
How many state roads are tarred and well maintained where PDP is not in control?
How many LG roads are maintained and new ones established as part of town planning activities regularly in non-PDP areas?
How many open drainages aka gutters are constructed, cleared and sanitised by LGAs to avoid flooding during the rainy season in areas controlled by ACN, CPC, ANPP and APGA?

The President just signs contracts. He does not follow up or monitor anything. He does not sack under performing ministers. Instead the only performing minister in his cabinet was removed. When asked to declare his assets publicly to gain some moral ground, he said he does not give a damn. Everyday Nigerians are reading of trillions of Naira stolen, but no one is going to jail for the crimes.

Why can't the immediate beneficiaries i.e. the affected citizens in the area concerned by the project petition their NASS [size=13pt]Representatives and Senators[/size] to bring the matter to the attention of their colleagues in the NASS and the President.
What are the loafers representing you in Abuja paid the humonguous amount supposed to be doing? Bleep around in Abuja while you slave away and complain about jona this, Jona that?
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by PointB: 9:42am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo: lol your 'experiment' is funny and your point is a great one. PDP is making people guilty by association.
If we maintain this mentality you'll come to see a very negative depressed populace come out as a result and it has already happened.
For example, how do you know GEJ has done nothing? Because of the what the media tells you, and no matter what the media will tell you GEJ is destroying the nation.

Even look at the subsidy protests, the media was 100% one-sided, now Ribadu comes out with a report saying exactly with Okonjo Iweala was saying about the subsidy being a corrupt gate for wealth used by middle men that take advantage of it. Suddenly Ribadu is a hero who's plight is unheard by GEJ because GEJ isn't attacking the people he accused of corruption and the media is on Ribadu's side. But when GEJ and Iweala were saying that the entire corrupt system needs to be eliminated they were the enemy and the nigerian media mobilized diligently.

So how do you know GEJ is doing nothing? If i asked your worst enemy what have you achieved this year your worst enemy will spin it to make you look like a problem or a failure even if you saved the world it's self. Do you even wonder why there is no good news that comes out of the north or even Abuja? because it's a PDP stronghold and no matter that they do they will never get credit. Same with SE governors that are in the PDP like Sullivan and Amaechi.

forget that Amaechi has a private jet, he also demolished every substandard school in his state and rebuilt them all to a british standard. but what did you hear about? the private jet. why? hidden agenda.

Spot on my guy.

It's all part of the plot of ploy - call a dog a bad name, then hang it. The end game of the exaggerated level of corruption and bad publicity is to pave the way for a military coup. Unfortunately, the North is not in the best position to plot a coup, the SW has no history of leading a coup plot, and the SE have learnt so much from history of rescuing Nigeria via that path.

Fact is GEJ is doing a good job, as are a handful of PDP Governors. The hate campaign will certainly fail.

3 Likes

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Demdem(m): 9:49am On Dec 05, 2012
jp philips:

As much as i agree with some of your post the part in bold is very misleading. outside the 115 health care projects and renovation of all rivers state primary schools,(which are laudable projects anyways). a few road expansion projects.

All was a desperate measure to buy the Goodwill of the masses during his furore with Omehia.

I was once one of Amaechi's praise singers and it might interest you to note that i voted his second term. nevertheless, Amaechi since his second term has failed woefully like any other PDP rag tag in this country.

Amaechi all of a sudden lost focus in the area of Governance, from varying magnitude of corruption scandals to roads which was constructed with exorbitant sums but couldn't last through one rainy season, to Unscrupulous deductions from Civil servants wages, to the sack of LGA heads who questioned his seizure of their funds. the list is endless.

Amaechi lost not focus but vision and zeal to manage rivers state let alone move Rivers beyond the plum it has found itself.

Amaechi under his nose a group of corpers has petitioned the deductions made from their state allowance which was totally illegal and outrageous till date no response.
Have you been to rivers lately?? i don't think so i went through the books of rivers state from feb 2011 to October 2012, i was shocked at the money that state has accrued.

Amaechi is a walking disgrace living in the shadows of his past when the political ambiance was uncertain.

Rivers state is so dis organized. multiple taxation from different accredited Govt touts cant let one make profit, Woji road, Elenwo road, Eneka road to mention but a few are a disaster, these are roads situated in the heart of portharcort and yet the vision less Governors and his contractors are idling around.

Look at the congestion in the state, a monumental problem even before he assumed office yet he has no blueprint for it 6yrs on. the light rail project was the second biggest fraud in the state's history after Odili's turbine project.

what about his mass transit scheme?? BRT buses without BRT lane was what Amaechi could phantom or the pseudo subsidy he promised petroleum marketers. that Man is confused.

look at the mess his contractor is making at Okporo road for three and half years, nothing has been done save for the fact that Amaechi hurriedly demolished houses rendering people homeless. Amaechi in his infinite wisdom did not think that a flyover bridge over rumuodara junction will decongest Aba road.

Are you aware that human rights watch has amaechi on their list as the Gov that created highest homelessness for its citizens?? guess what? the roads for which accommodations were lost couldn't last the rainy season, what a shame.

please tell me something else, Amaechi is not just corrupt but a walking failure like his other PDP cohorts.

based here in PH and i agree with most of this. I also voted for him hoping he will continue his first term good deeds. So far he has been disappointing. Abegi Op, commot amaechi from ur list.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by ypzilanti: 9:51am On Dec 05, 2012
Government just announced it would spend 2.2 billion naira building a banquet hall in Aso rock. Priorities.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by ypzilanti: 10:00am On Dec 05, 2012
anonimi:

You do well as you dey point out the problems with federal highways. Three Gbosas to you!!!
How many state roads are tarred and well maintained where PDP is not in control?
How many LG roads are maintained and new ones established as part of town planning activities regularly in non-PDP areas?
How many open drainages aka gutters are constructed, cleared and sanitised by LGAs to avoid flooding during the rainy season in areas controlled by ACN, CPC, ANPP and APGA?

Why can't the immediate beneficiaries i.e. the affected citizens in the area concerned by the project petition their NASS [size=13pt]Representatives and Senators[/size] to bring the matter to the attention of their colleagues in the NASS and the President.
What are the loafers representing you in Abuja paid the humonguous amount supposed to be doing? Bleep around in Abuja while you slave away and complain about jona this, Jona that?

So we should not complain about the president if he signs contracts and does not follow up to ensure the performance of the contracts?

You expect a PDP led senate and house to berate the President?

The politicians are just taking advantage of an ethnically divided and uneducated population. But it will all come to a head one day...you cannot graduate over 300,000 youths a year from the universities without any jobs and not expect some problem from the situation. It always happens like this: The governing class will be so out of touch with the people's suffering that when the revolution starts, they will be caught unawares.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by wellmax(m): 10:12am On Dec 05, 2012
Goddex:

Your Lagos that you praise so much is still one of three worst cities to live in on earth.
Interestingly, this is the same city your so-called progressive ACN have ruled for 13yrs.

Little wonder then that everyone want τ̅☺ come or be assoicated with Lagos. You see, Lagos was rated as such not becos its so bad, al least you know that, but because its among those reviewed. Volks Wagen Bitus is a chaep car, but you don't see it on the list of cheap cars. Wake up from your slumber, the world only knows Lagos and Abuja, if they know your town, it will be the worst τ̅☺ live in in history.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by garrigangster: 10:16am On Dec 05, 2012
Demdem:

Na ur entire lineage, born and unborn that wont think straight. What have i said than to agree with what Jarus said which u also adopted. Fooool.
DemDem the Retardeen wants to cry o
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by vislabraye(m): 10:17am On Dec 05, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: How does that road put food on the table of poor man?

How can you ask this question shocked. This is Econs 101. You don't need to be lectured on the importance of good road, do you?
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by vislabraye(m): 10:25am On Dec 05, 2012
wellmax:

Little wonder then that everyone want τ̅☺ come or be assoicated with Lagos. You see, Lagos was rated as such not becos its so bad, al least you know that, but because its among those reviewed. Volks Wagen Bitus is a chaep car, but you don't see it on the list of cheap cars. Wake up from your slumber, the world only knows Lagos and Abuja, if they know town, it will be the worst τ̅☺ live in in history.

Yes, Lagos is a great city. But is it Fashola or AC N that made it what it is?
Of course not to mention that it has always been the commercial centre in Nigeria.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by anonimi: 10:25am On Dec 05, 2012
ypzilanti:

So we should not complain about the president if he signs contracts and does not follow up to ensure the performance of the contracts?

No. I already said this in that regards:

Abi dat wan nor do you grin

What I am emphasising is that ALL the political office holders at ALL levels are non-performers or mediocre at best. They are that way because we are largely easy and thankful for small measures while we wait for OUR OWN TURN for which our pastors, imams and priests fleece us of the small change we have while giving us MOSTLY false hope.

You expect a PDP led senate and house to berate the President?

NORMALLY not. But if the representative or Senator knows he will lose the next elections because he has not ensured that the people's concerns are properly addressed then he will get the President to do what needs to be done.
BTW, not all the NASS members are from PDP. Or are they

The politicians are just taking advantage of an ethnically divided and uneducated population. But it will all come to a head one day...you cannot graduate over 300,000 youths a year from the universities without any jobs and not expect some problem from the situation. It always happens like this: The governing class will be so out of touch with the people's suffering that when the revolution starts, they will be caught unawares.

You are quite correct in your analysis and that is approximately what happened in Western Europe some 500-250 years ago, Eastern Europe some 30 years ago and currently going on in the Middle East. It will soon happen in black Africa.
But it does not have to be that way with us as we have the system to effect gradual change for everyone's benefit.
France had a revolution but Britain did not. Morroco has avoided the bloody Arab Spring so far with the King quickly releasing more power to the people through the electoral process.
Those of us who CLAIM to be educated and understand these things should take it upon ourselves to explain to others and build the critical mass for the needed evolution i.e. revolution without the R.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by ypzilanti: 11:01am On Dec 05, 2012
anonimi:

No. I already said this in that regards:

Abi dat wan nor do you grin

What I am emphasising is that ALL the political office holders at ALL levels are non-performers or mediocre at best. They are that way because we are largely easy and thankful for small measures while we wait for OUR OWN TURN for which our pastors, imams and priests fleece us of the small change we have while giving us MOSTLY false hope.

NORMALLY not. But if the representative or Senator knows he will lose the next elections because he has not ensured that the people's concerns are properly addressed then he will get the President to do what needs to be done.
BTW, not all the NASS members are from PDP. Or are they

You are quite correct in your analysis and that is approximately what happened in Western Europe some 500-250 years ago, Eastern Europe some 30 years ago and currently going on in the Middle East. It will soon happen in black Africa.
But it does not have to be that way with us as we have the system to effect gradual change for everyone's benefit.
France had a revolution but Britain did not. Morroco has avoided the bloody Arab Spring so far with the King quickly releasing more power to the people through the electoral process.
Those of us who CLAIM to be educated and understand these things should take it upon ourselves to explain to others and build the critical mass for the needed evolution i.e. revolution without the R.

A good chance for an [b]evolution [/b]is a change from PDP at central government in 2015. It's the same old Nigerian politicians, and they are all corrupt I know, but it's good for a democracy to change governing parties occasionally.It strengthens the institutions. Also, it will give the opposition a chance to try ex-rulers and prosecute former government officials that have stolen government funds. This will make people in government know they may face the music once they leave office.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Sheriffc(m): 11:23am On Dec 05, 2012

which has the best infrustructure in Nigeria argueably next to Abuja, goes unmentioned.
I want people to realize that it's all politics as well. I'm not saying PDP is good or thing government is the best but the opposition is a part of the government as well.

I do not think Akwa Ibom's giant infrastructural achievements ever go unmentioned, except if you tell me you resident else where. Watch AIT and TVC-Lagos TV stations- or see adverts mostly in the dailies, the Akwa Ibom story is always televised. And also if PDP fails to adequately show or brandish quality achievements they've achieved, could that be blamed on the opposition? I guess they have nothing to show. Sane and rational Nigerians are now the major opposition, not even the political parties.

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Sheriffc(m): 11:29am On Dec 05, 2012

I do not think Akwa Ibom's giant infrastructural achievements ever go unmentioned, except if you tell me you resident else where. Watch AIT and TVC-Lagos TV stations- or see adverts mostly in the dailies, the Akwa Ibom story is always televised. And also if PDP fails to adequately show or brandish quality achievements they've achieved, could that be blamed on the opposition? I guess they have nothing to show. Sane and rational Nigerians are now the major opposition, not even the political parties.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by BetaThings: 11:46am On Dec 05, 2012
mosun_ade: ABUJA—President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday emphasised that the Performance Contract Agreement he signed with his cabinet ministers was not to witch-hunt any of them, but to set targets and measure performances.

According to the President, government could no longer rely on the performance assessments of its activities by the media because according to him, the media has been politicised.
[/b]
[b]Lampoons media owners
Ok. Bukky Ade has become Mosun Ade
Beaf has become Billyonaire
Where is Mandelaguy?
Where is Peacemaker01
Where is Ifhearam
PointB accounted for

That part should have been "Lampoons media owners who did not instruct their staff to be psycophants"
A president is so pre-occupied with the Media
Does he lampoon the owner of ThisDay, BusinessDay, Tribune etc
No
I recall that the president once said he is the most criticised president only to reverse that statement
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by taharqa: 11:50am On Dec 05, 2012
Jarus: Compared to the cons, it is still a good thing that opposition controls the media.

The government has NTA which is still the most watched station, especially by the middle to lower class who reside in places other than big cities of Lagos, PH, Abuja, Kano etc. These PDP states, which are in teh majority also have local stations for their use. These governments hire all manners of Media advisers, PR guys etc from the formal to the informal media. Reno is there tackling el-Rufai on twitter, Abati and Okupe doing the formal media thing, Beaf and co, even if not sponsored, are giving the Gbawes of this world run for their money on Nairaland here.

So, if the opposition guys are having upper hand and able to tilt public sentiments in their favour, I don't think anyone is to blame. That is the way I see it.

That said, I think Amaeachi and Sule Lamido have their own due of good press. I don't agree they are under-reported.

Akpabio is the only PDP performer I think is not getting the deserved publicity and I will blame his media/PR guys for that.
@Jarus, so dat u know. Sm of us are beginning to think that even our belovd NL have been 'bought' over recently. You Mods tk pleasure in promoting negative threads on the frontpage, regardless of how ridiculous or wrong they are, even weirdly reposting same thread again for effect; while more positive threads are completely jettisond. That is d trend lately. I actuali intend submitting a personal 'formal' Complaints to you 1st and then to Seun... I dont rili care hw much negative news u guys choose to promote, but at least sm balance shld be sort on sm positive news as well. Balance and Fairness: yr guys hold it 1st to yr consciences, and then to every thing u guys hold dear including the future of dis 'our' NL
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by BetaThings: 11:51am On Dec 05, 2012
Guk:

Fashola!!! Private Jet? for where? Let me tell you what i used my own eyes to see about this man at the International Airport in Lagos. (1) Only 2 of his personal aides followed him to departure point. His aide camp with gun was not even there. (2) This man wheeled his hand luggage himself and picked it up and placed it on the table for searching before walking into the plane. (3) This man walked into the plane on his own, no aide or advance party surrounded him. He was on his way out to meet his family on a short holiday.

Asides that, his convoy is less than 5 cars with no siren blaring to clear road for him
The man (OP) says be wise
He has accused people of tribalism without defensible proof!
Meaning that he has his own agenda too
Did he just wake up to complain about Fashola while lamenting that some governors are not covered
Seriously, what is the matter if people of Akwa Ibom are enjoying the good work of their governors and people of Kebbi State are not aware
Will people from other states write petition for the impeachment of Akpabio
Let the man work and his people will see it!
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by taharqa: 12:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
ypzilanti: Government tells the people to tighten their belts but the people see the government living large...how do you expect them to accept the increase in fuel price? As suspected by the people, nothing significant has been achieved with the over 30% increase compromise that ended the strike.

The roads from PH-Enugu is a mess. Lagos-Ibadan is a mess. East-West road is virtually abandoned. Akwa-Ibom-Calabar is dilapidated. Benin-Ore is forever being reconstructed, but never ever completed. The populace plys the road and curses the government. They use APAPA OSHODI road and curse the government. Even the road from Murtala Mohammed airport into Lagos is a joke. Car park at the airport is being constructed for over 4 years now...it has been abandoned. I could go on forever.

The President just signs contracts. He does not follow up or monitor anything. He does not sack under performing ministers. Instead the only performing minister in his cabinet was removed. When asked to declare his assets publicly to gain some moral ground, he said he does not give a damn. Everyday Nigerians are reading of trillions of Naira stolen, but no one is going to jail for the crimes.

The governors you mention are all popular in the states the govern and on social media. The peoples grouse is with the President. He has disappointed those who believed he would make a difference. They are all crossing over to the other side, one by one, and in 2015 they will deliver their verdict on his performance.
The PH-Enugu expressway is now been rehabilitated extensively by 4 diff contractors at diff sections of dat terrible courtesy SURE-P (wonda when last u usd d road); the East-West Road has not been 'virtuali abandond' (what d hell are u talking about)- dat is a massive road spanning d coastal section of about 5 states dat successive govts hv be mouthing about since d '60s and its constructn is currently going on apace with various constructd bridges already tking shape by 3 or so diff contractors (yes, they need to speed it up but constructn is rili going on there presently); Benin-Ore reconstructn is almost complete afta sm many yrs of diff govts faild promises (abeg, when last did u use d road), only its part expansion into a national dual carrier way is just beginning; the Akwa ibom-Calabar road is dilapidatd (you got dat one right); and u know wats up about recent developments on Lagos-Ibadan expressway; whilst Apapa-Oshodi is bn reconstructd by JB and one oda company, with sm sections already recoverd..... I just want to mk these clarificatns
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2012
taharqa: @Jarus, so dat u know. Sm of us are beginning to think that even our belovd NL have been 'bought' over recently. You Mods tk pleasure in promoting negative threads on the frontpage, regardless of how ridiculous or wrong they are, even weirdly reposting same thread again for effect; while more positive threads are completely jettisond. That is d trend lately. I actuali intend submitting a personal 'formal' Complaints to you 1st and then to Seun... I dont rili care hw much negative news u guys choose to promote, but at least sm balance shld be sort on sm positive news as well. Balance and Fairness: yr guys hold it 1st to yr consciences, and then to every thing u guys hold dear including the future of dis 'our' NL

Can you give me an example of the negative threads we are promoting on the front page?
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Twy: 1:21pm On Dec 05, 2012
Guk:

A lot of people rate Governors on Aesthetics. My question is have they provided an enabling environment that makes businesses grow organically. Roads are fantastic and needed but moreso self sustaining industries. Let me use to examples that readily come to mind in Lagos state as i do not know much about other states beyond what i read on their websites. (By the way, you dont have to rely on the media to promote your works. You have your own official website to let the world know what you are doing)

Another key point is, if whatever you have put in place has not attracted businesses to your domain, then it clearly means that state is not investment attractive.

Lagos state is building a railway line and that has even before completion, created prosperity along that route. Value of properties have risen; plots of land are been scrambled for; businesses are expectant; buildres and artisans are extremely busy working on peoples construction round the clock; dead warehouses arecoming to life again. Tradefair complex is booming again.

Same goes for Lagos Epe expressway, where the opening of that area has brought about 18 hours constant activity especially for construction workers.

In contrast, i see some states building fantastic new roads and bridges that is leading nowhere but to the governors' village. No factories; warehouses are spring up as a result of those fine roads been built....there is a disconnect somewhere there.

Also be aware that majority of these infrastructure projects are conduit pipes for corruption.

Having said all of the above, please rate your prefered governor with the yardstick below:

Consensus Oriented (An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole)

Participatory (the broad participation of constituents in the direction and operation of political systems)

Following the Rule of Law (citizens can expect to be treated fairly by a justified government. )

Effective and Efficient (Effective: Adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result. Efficient: Performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

Accountable (the obligation of an individual or organization to account for its activities, accept responsibility for them, and to disclose the results)

Transparent (the concept of removing all barriers to —and the facilitating of— free and easy public access to corporate information and the laws, rules, social connivance and processes that facilitate and protect those individuals and corporations that freely join, develop, and improve the process

Responsive(Readily reacting to suggestions, influences, appeals, or efforts)

Equitable and Inclusive(Must recognise diversity and difference. Must accommodate differing meanings of citizenship that cut across gender, political, cultural, and social lines)

Right now, we do not have a reliable thinking political class. It is when they get to into the position that they start studying and thinking on how to move the state forward. Right now, most states depend on oil for survival, and it is not a sustainable medium, they should find ways to generate economic activities within their locale from non-oil sources which can employ the abundant youths in the state. Two states I know with 'performing' governors, Akwa Ibom and Ondo, but yet the graduates are moving out to find better opportunities, this is a sign that the local economy is not as strong as people think it is with the infrastructural development which as you said actually has a lot of leakages through corruption. Truth is for industries to come, infrastructure is key but also is the market, both regional markets and also regional infrastructure, if the market populace is poor, industries may be reluctant to come especially if the regional infrastructure,(i.e inter state roads). The Nigerian market(populace pockets) is not as deep and is not reflective of the infrastructural strives being taken. If we as Nigerians could find a solution to the poverty menace then we can start moving forward economically, without it I think infrastructural developments are minor to the average Nigerian without commensurate economic activities later being generated.

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Demdem(m): 1:31pm On Dec 05, 2012
Jarus:

Can you give me an example of the negative threads we are promoting on the front page?

oro pesi je grin grin
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by anonimi: 2:28pm On Dec 05, 2012
ypzilanti:

A good chance for an evolution is a change from PDP at central government in 2015. It's the same old Nigerian politicians, and they are all corrupt I know, but it's good for a democracy to change governing parties occasionally.It strengthens the institutions. Also, it will give the opposition a chance to try ex-rulers and prosecute former government officials that have stolen government funds. This will make people in government know they may face the music once they leave office.

Will you say the same thing for there to be change of governing parties at other levels- state and LGs
Why are you and others so focused on the central government while the other levels get a free pass? Do you realise that the LG chairman typically "chops" more (in terms of %) of his budget than fisherman Joe does of the federal budget?

Just watched a report on AlJazeera about water availability in Nigeria becoming worse over the past decades. Yet that is a responsibility os state governments. In fact the focus was on Badagry in ACN Fashola's Lagos state
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by jpphilips(m): 3:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo:
exactly.
[b]the subsidy protest was the fakest most tribalistic bias the media and opposition had ever spun up and is proof that they're hypocrites.
that same subsidy they were fighting to keep they are now on ribadu's side when ribadu comes out and says it's corrupt.
[/b]Look at El Rufai who was stealing hand in hand with Obasanjo now trying to act like the voice of the opposition simply because Yar adua forced him out of PDP.

Imoke is an excellent governor and has really rebranded his state and made in the tourism giant of nigeria. Nobody hears about it.
Uyo as fine a city as Abuja, minus size and scope but the quality is there, nobody hears about this
No ACN state is as organized, clean, and developed as a whole as Enugu, no noise
Jigawa has gone from a pile of sand to a formidable force in progress, most people can't name the governor.

but the governor of Ogun wants to use human pheces as cooking oil and it's been headline news for the past 2 days.

people were against subsidy removal because they knew that the so called cabal has accomplices in govt which the govt wasn't sincere about.

Subsidy removal was never an opposition thing, its the failure of Govt who saw corruption in a scheme and chose to do nothing about it, rather chose to bestow upon its people the biggest energy crisis in the history of sub saharan Africa.

lemme ask you? do you think the subsidy crises is over?? do you think there are refineries anywhere?

listen, you simply dont understand why there is scarcity of products in this country.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by dayokanu(m): 6:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
Brainless sentiments.

When people protested against Fuel price hike during OBJ it wasnt tribalistic

But when they do the same thing under Retardeen Jonathan it suddenly becomes tribalistic

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by emmatok(m): 10:05pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo:
exactly.
the subsidy protest was the fakest most tribalistic bias the media and opposition had ever spun up and is proof that they're hypocrites.
that same subsidy they were fighting to keep they are now on ribadu's side when ribadu comes out and says it's corrupt.
Look at El Rufai who was stealing hand in hand with Obasanjo now trying to act like the voice of the opposition simply because Yar adua forced him out of PDP.

Imoke is an excellent governor and has really rebranded his state and made in the tourism giant of nigeria. Nobody hears about it.
Uyo as fine a city as Abuja, minus size and scope but the quality is there, nobody hears about this
No ACN state is as organized, clean, and developed as a whole as Enugu, no noise
Jigawa has gone from a pile of sand to a formidable force in progress, most people can't name the governor.

but the governor of Ogun wants to use human pheces as cooking oil and it's been headline news for the past 2 days.

You just showed your true color by saying the Subsidy protest was tribalistic.

Thesame GEJ government said the cabal sponsored the protest. But GEJ failed to tell us that most if the cabal members are in his cabinet.

For your info Guardian and THISDAY are pro PDP.

I have realized that anybody criticizing GEJ is always been blackmailed with tribalism and religion sentiment.

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by djustice: 11:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
1wolex85:
First of all, don't eva compare lagos tolls to what fg is planning. A private company expanded the road and ALTERNATIVE route was provided (tho I dnt think dat one alternate route is sufficient). They are abt to start collecting toll on anoda part of the same expressway,do u know y dey are just startin? They were puttin anoda alternative route in place. Take lagos-ib expressway for instance, d govt just wnts to introduce tolls witout 1st fixing the road thru a private firm (gej always puts d cart b4 d horse).
Secondly,stop lying to prove ur point, wen did lastma start beating pple? D most dey can do is to impound ur car and extort money from u unjustly. I'll come to the subsidy issue when I av time

May God Almighty punish you, Fashola, Tinubu, Ashafa, Mrs. Awofisayo, Muri-Okunola, Olowolafe, Oforiokuma and EVERYONE involved in that giant scam called Lekki-Epe Toll Road. May every suffering endured by the poor tax-paying residents of Lekki be multiplied a thousand fold on your heads and those of your descendants for generations to come. For every child you have denied an education, may your children be mis-educated and turned into vagabonds.

For every land any of you have stolen through fraudulent "government acquisitions", or allocations, thereby robbing the people of Eti-Osa, Ibeju-Lekki, Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry and every other place these acts of fraud have been perpetrated, may your wealth be plundered by thieves, armed robbers and vagabonds.

For every kobo you collect at those toll gates, may poverty of the soul, the mind and lastly financial poverty be the portion of you and your generations to come.

As for Onomelem, May he and his generations born and unborn partake of all these prayers, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ.

Why do I pray these prayers? The citizens of Lekki have paid and continue to pay through their noses, taxes, levies, charges and fees levied by the Fashola administration. Yet, there are few, if any government schools, no government hospitals of note, no roads in the local areas, no drinking water, no government presence except where they've put up fraudulent signboards, and stolen the people's lands. Epe ma ja gbogbo yin titi ayeraye ni, lagbara Edumare.

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by takedat(m): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2012
djustice:

May God Almighty punish you, Fashola, Tinubu, Ashafa, Mrs. Awofisayo, Muri-Okunola, Olowolafe, Oforiokuma and EVERYONE involved in that giant scam called Lekki-Epe Toll Road. May every suffering endured by the poor tax-paying residents of Lekki be multiplied a thousand fold on your heads and those of your descendants for generations to come. For every child you have denied an education, may your children be mis-educated and turned into vagabonds.

For every land any of you have stolen through fraudulent "government acquisitions", or allocations, thereby robbing the people of Eti-Osa, Ibeju-Lekki, Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry and every other place these acts of fraud have been perpetrated, may your wealth be plundered by thieves, armed robbers and vagabonds.

For every kobo you collect at those toll gates, may poverty of the soul, the mind and lastly financial poverty be the portion of you and your generations to come.

As for Onomelem, May he and his generations born and unborn partake of all these prayers, in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ.

Why do I pray these prayers? The citizens of Lekki have paid and continue to pay through their noses, taxes, levies, charges and fees levied by the Fashola administration. Yet, there are few, if any government schools, no government hospitals of note, no roads in the local areas, no drinking water, no government presence except where they've put up fraudulent signboards, and stolen the people's lands. Epe ma ja gbogbo yin titi ayeraye ni, lagbara Edumare.
As you wish for others so shall it be for you. Fcking dregs of humanity!
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by jpphilips(m): 9:06am On Dec 06, 2012
gboss4sure: Is a pity that the opposition especially Tinubu's ACN has blinded a lot of Nigerians with their noise making but yet when you go to some PDP states you will see that they are doing very better than all of the ACN states, if you doubt, pay a visit to Akwa Ibom or Enugu just to mention a few you will relize that ACN na only mouth they get and is a pity that a lot of Nigerians don't know how to think with their brain. I hate PDP yet I like the way they are keeping quiet and allowing opposition to thrive cause they PDP knows when to harness the power of social media, that's 2015 and not waste their time with bragging around on the social media world and by 2015 they will once again unveil the achievements of PDP governments in different states and at federal level and by then ACN will understand the game of social media with politics that is not about shouting everyday on social media just to gain cheap attention that's not gonna last long.

your opinion is childish though you have a right to it, no offense.

During the first term of Amaechi's Govt, RSTV whether sponsored, influenced or motivated, went round the whole LGA's in Rivers state show casing the 115 health centres and primary schools project.

Today, RSTV is showing Abonnema cultural dance, do you know why?? because the Governor is asleep. Do you see the 18 seater Hiace buses written press on it boldly following Amaechi's convoy?? do you know who is inside it??

you dont see anything in the Media not because the press is not working or political affiliation but simply because there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO SHOW YOU. Gov. Amaechi is either in coma or ...... "retired"
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by MajeOfficial: 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2012
Sadly i think he's preparing for a vice or presidential bid and is 'saving money'.
Same with Fashola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Refinery Back With 17million Litres Per Day / Brazilian President Rousseff Visits Nigeria / Oil Production Ranking Of States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.