Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,266 members, 7,811,752 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry (8421 Views)

Being An Opposition Party, Not Licence To Abuse Buhari, APC Tells PDP / Is This An Opposition Or A Conspiracy Against GEJ? / What Manner Of An Opposition Party Is APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by debsjoat(m): 7:55am On Dec 05, 2012
Sisi_Kill: What is stopping the "tech unsavvy" governors and politicians from learning?

Abi have they chopped up their fingers? Exchanged their brains for cotton candy?

This is exactly the kinda mentality destroying that country. . .People's unwillingness to learn and move with the times.

If my 85yrs old grandma who didn't get past primary 5 can learn how to send texts, those idiots have no excuse.

So if by opposition, you mean Opposition to illiteracy, backwardness and obstinacy. . .then yeah, you are absolutely right the media has been dominated.
Good report. What excuse will they have tagged on themselves if a 5-6-7 years old child could operate a notepad connected to the internet and certainly knows what site (disneyland.com) and what comment(I love barbie) they want to drop; what would it be for this our typical so called Aged (pdp) politician say is the reason for not being in the media.
In the first place, they would never call for there name to be inscribed on the frontpage or the index page of any mass media website neither a social networking site, all because they want a low key life to be able to achieve the destructive plans(money laundry).
It will never occur to them that the interest of the populace should be their priority. Foolish bunch of illiterate. I don't care if there little good deeds are heard or not...tf
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by mrrock: 7:55am On Dec 05, 2012
''He who control the media control the mind of the people''......Mr. Noam Chomsky.

Having said that Goodwill Akpabio have always been mentioned here any time there's a thread on the best performing governors.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Sealeddeal(m): 7:55am On Dec 05, 2012
truthseeker9ja: @ ikengawo,the self-confessed Gov Chime apostle,you've got mail in https://www.nairaland.com/1122926/governor-sullivan-chime-could-dead

you dont know what people like you are doing to this country.Egyptians,just today,marched into their presidential palace to challenge an unpopular decision taken by Morsi.
You are a psycophant,I know how you cheered GEJ on during the period power supply was up even though we regularly reminded you and your fellow pdp goons that it was because the water level is high at that time and nothing significantly had been done in power,right now power supply is down to terrible level,gej has since sold the power plants to mostly questionable characters and just 2 days ago,2 turbines in egbin broke down completely,yet GEJ had spent billions on power.
..you should talk about ur area.here,in my area in nnewi,power supply is still atleast,18hrs/day.

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by juman(m): 7:59am On Dec 05, 2012
@OP, you deserve a gift of private jet. grin
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by anonimi: 8:08am On Dec 05, 2012
The opposition should not only be at the federal executive level aka the Presidency.
What opposition is there in the South West states?
Who is scrutinising and keeping the ACN governors on their toes?

Ditto for other states where APGA, ANPP and CPC are in charge as well as LGAs.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by solomonkane(m): 8:15am On Dec 05, 2012
Thought this was supposed to be a thread for objective & unbiased views, turns out to be a joke one thanks to the OP himself. I see a lot in the press on the developmental strides in Akwa Ibom and Enugu among others. That you fail to see or hear about them is your own fault and your fault alone., even El Rufai attested to what Akpabio is doing. You say the opposition dominate the media, I ask you what about blogs like NaijaPundit, I Paid A Bribe e.t.c, who owns them and who are they biased towards? You also have newspapers like Thisday and every single radio & television station owned by governments in the PDP - controlled states as well. Last I checked, the internet is free for anyone to put anything they like, tell your paymasters to get their hands out of the public treasury and let them publicize their own achievements.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by jigawatts(m): 8:19am On Dec 05, 2012
Olalekan 0: Fashola has a jet too

FASHOLA no get jet oo.... I work in the aviation industry, Lagos State has 2 helicopters USED FOR Overhead police patrol and inter-state movements.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 05, 2012
Without the tacit support of the Southeast region, GEJ would board a canoe back to Otuoke. In 2015, we shall vote him in again regardless of anything. Of course, looking at the 2011 electoral map, you would see that GEJ has no mandate to lead the North. Tinubu accepted bribe to deliver Lagos to PDP and this is a well known secret in Aso Rock.

Honestly, the media would sing a different music just few months to the next election. Either there is no Nigeria by 2015 or the opposition would have to lump it and be patient until 2019. See map below via link below;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12893448
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by solomonkane(m): 8:21am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo:
exactly.
the subsidy protest was the fakest most tribalistic bias the media and opposition had ever spun up and is proof that they're hypocrites.
that same subsidy they were fighting to keep they are now on ribadu's side when ribadu comes out and says it's corrupt.
Look at El Rufai who was stealing hand in hand with Obasanjo now trying to act like the voice of the opposition simply because Yar adua forced him out of PDP.

Imoke is an excellent governor and has really rebranded his state and made in the tourism giant of nigeria. Nobody hears about it.
Uyo as fine a city as Abuja, minus size and scope but the quality is there, nobody hears about this
No ACN state is as organized, clean, and developed as a whole as Enugu, no noise
Jigawa has gone from a pile of sand to a formidable force in progress, most people can't name the governor.

but the governor of Ogun wants to use human pheces as cooking oil and it's been headline news for the past 2 days.

SMH.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 05, 2012
Compared to the cons, it is still a good thing that opposition controls the media.

The government has NTA which is still the most watched station, especially by the middle to lower class who reside in places other than big cities of Lagos, PH, Abuja, Kano etc. These PDP states, which are in teh majority also have local stations for their use. These governments hire all manners of Media advisers, PR guys etc from the formal to the informal media. Reno is there tackling el-Rufai on twitter, Abati and Okupe doing the formal media thing, Beaf and co, even if not sponsored, are giving the Gbawes of this world run for their money on Nairaland here.

So, if the opposition guys are having upper hand and able to tilt public sentiments in their favour, I don't think anyone is to blame. That is the way I see it.

That said, I think Amaeachi and Sule Lamido have their own due of good press. I don't agree they are under-reported.

Akpabio is the only PDP performer I think is not getting the deserved publicity and I will blame his media/PR guys for that.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by chiswaggs: 8:29am On Dec 05, 2012
Did I hear sombody say Akpabio is being left out of the news? I don't think this is true because I don't know of any other gov that is more talked about than Akpabio, Fashola and Rochas and these governors are from PDP, ACN and APGA respectively. So rather than call it an opposition dominated media, I'll prefer we call it a madia with a more level playing field which is a movement away from what was obtainable before. Now it is if you work, you'll find yourself in the news and I think this is a welcome development or is it not?
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 05, 2012
And to back up my assertions, go and check all Nairaland's recent threads on 'best governors/Top 5 governors' etc, Amaeachi, Akpabio and Lamido and even Chime got constant mentions.

As for Fashola, the reason for his publicity is simple. More than half of educated Nigerians know Lagos - either on visit or living here or seeing/reading the activities in the media; so it is easy to see and judge a working governor in Lagos.

And apart from Fashola -and maybe Aregbesola - I don't think other SW governors (Ajimobi and Amosun in particular) have press image better than that of Amaechi and Lamido.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by warrior01: 8:34am On Dec 05, 2012
1wolex85:
First of all, don't eva compare lagos tolls to what fg is planning. A private company expanded the road and ALTERNATIVE route was provided (tho I dnt think dat one alternate route is sufficient). They are abt to start collecting toll on anoda part of the same expressway,do u know y dey are just startin? They were puttin anoda alternative route in place. Take lagos-ib expressway for instance, d govt just wnts to introduce tolls witout 1st fixing the road thru a private firm (gej always puts d cart b4 d horse).
Secondly,stop lying to prove ur point, wen did lastma start beating pple? D most dey can do is to impound ur car and extort money from u unjustly. I'll come to the subsidy issue when I av time
I think you are simply confused.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 05, 2012
Sun newspaper even gave Akpabio governor of the year in 2010 or so and Lamido the year before.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Demdem(m): 8:36am On Dec 05, 2012
Jarus: Compared to the cons, it is still a good thing that opposition controls the media.

The government has NTA which is still the most watched station, especially by the middle to lower class who reside in places other than big cities of Lagos, PH, Abuja, Kano etc. These PDP states, which are in teh majority also have local stations for their use. These governments hire all manners of Media advisers, PR guys etc from the formal to the informal media. Reno is there tackling el-Rufai on twitter, Abati and Okupe doing the formal media thing, Beaf and co, even if not sponsored, are giving the Gbawes of this world run for their money on Nairaland here.

So, if the opposition guys are having upper hand and able to tilt public sentiments in their favour, I don't think anyone is to blame. That is the way I see it.

That said, I think Amaeachi and Sule Lamido have their own due of good press. I don't agree they are under-reported.

Akpabio is the only PDP performer I think is not getting the deserved publicity and I will blame his media/PR guys for that.

I completely agree with this. I feel the Op's opinion is screwed. he is entitled to it anyway.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by ypzilanti: 8:38am On Dec 05, 2012
Government tells the people to tighten their belts but the people see the government living large...how do you expect them to accept the increase in fuel price? As suspected by the people, nothing significant has been achieved with the over 30% increase compromise that ended the strike.

The roads from PH-Enugu is a mess. Lagos-Ibadan is a mess. East-West road is virtually abandoned. Akwa-Ibom-Calabar is dilapidated. Benin-Ore is forever being reconstructed, but never ever completed. The populace plys the road and curses the government. They use APAPA OSHODI road and curse the government. Even the road from Murtala Mohammed airport into Lagos is a joke. Car park at the airport is being constructed for over 4 years now...it has been abandoned. I could go on forever.

The President just signs contracts. He does not follow up or monitor anything. He does not sack under performing ministers. Instead the only performing minister in his cabinet was removed. When asked to declare his assets publicly to gain some moral ground, he said he does not give a damn. Everyday Nigerians are reading of trillions of Naira stolen, but no one is going to jail for the crimes.

The governors you mention are all popular in the states the govern and on social media. The peoples grouse is with the President. He has disappointed those who believed he would make a difference. They are all crossing over to the other side, one by one, and in 2015 they will deliver their verdict on his performance.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Goddex: 8:46am On Dec 05, 2012
OP, you are very much on point.

Really, the Nigerian press are succeeding in brainwashing many
folks with their negative and mischievious reporting.
Have you ever wondered why people like Dayokanu alias Demdem,
Gbawe, Eko-Ile etc can never think straght again?

That Akwa Ibom governor has surpassed Fashola's performance by miles.
The likes of Oshiomole, Mimiko, Rochas and the other so-called progressives
have not performed one-fifth of what that guy has done for his state.

The Press is on a mission to paint anything PDP as bad and ACN as good.
But Nigerians know this.

Jarus, your replies make sense sha.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by jigawatts(m): 8:50am On Dec 05, 2012
Jarus: Compared to the cons, it is still a good thing that opposition controls the media.

END OF DICUSSION cool
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Classicalman(m): 8:55am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo: what are you talking about?
I think you assumed that I'm saying the opposition dominating the media is a bad thing, or that PDP is good and deserves praise?
I'm simply saying that praise is sent in a lobsided fashion where opposition is overtly praised and PDP governors that perform aren't mentioned. What was the last article you saw about something being built in Awka Ibom? because the level of building happening there is unrivaled in nigeria but it still falls to silent ears because of our agenda driven media.
they want to create a situation where 'good news' only comes out of opposition states.
That is because the non performing president and other PDP governors have done so badly that the brand 'PDP' is now seen as an evil brand. Even the Amaechi that u claim is performing, has done nothing when you weigh it with the amnount of money at his disposal, compared to other poor states. He is instead diverting the funds to buying a private jet and constructing the unworkable Mono Rail.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Goddex: 8:55am On Dec 05, 2012
jigawatts:

FASHOLA no get jet oo.... I work in the aviation industry, Lagos State has 2 helicopters USED FOR Overhead police patrol and inter-state movements.

I think he meant Tinubu. Tinubu has planes.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by greaterlove(m): 8:57am On Dec 05, 2012
I don't really care who dominants the media all I am interested in is that the media investigates and reports the truth. We should feel the same way an investor will feel if the media was biased in reporting the status of a company only to buy shares in that company and find out that it was all false. We are being feed nonsense by our media daily maybe because they feel that is where our interest is. I argued in one of my post that el rufai who I know is an intelligent man and a man of numbers was being mischievous with his writeup on the $31b question, in his heart I know he knows that those figures don't add up and that they can not all be placed at the feet of jonathan but he decided to feed the people with it, it only shows he sees us as fools who will swallow his story line, hook and sinker. It is the same way our media has feed us with half truths and falsehood just because they feel it will sell with the public. As we demand the best from our government we should demand the best from the media.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Demdem(m): 9:03am On Dec 05, 2012
Goddex: OP, you are very much on point.

Really, the Nigerian press are succeeding in brainwashing many
folks with their negative and mischievious reporting.
Have you ever wondered why people like Dayokanu alias Demdem,
Gbawe, Eko-Ile etc can never think straght again?

That Akwa Ibom governor has surpassed Fashola's performance by miles.
The likes of Oshiomole, Mimiko, Rochas and the other so-called progressives
have not performed one-fifth of what that guy has done for his state.

The Press is on a mission to paint anything PDP as bad and ACN as good.
But Nigerians know this.

Jarus, your replies make sense sha.

Na ur entire lineage, born and unborn that wont think straight. What have i said than to agree with what Jarus said which u also adopted. Fooool.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Goddex: 9:04am On Dec 05, 2012
koruji: Has anyone stopped Akwa Ibom or any other state from showing what they have?

You come here talking crap about the ACN controlled states, yet all of you are in Lagos, not Akwa Ibom.

Meanwhile, what is the population of Akwa Ibom vs. Lagos - 4 vs. 9 if you listen to the crappy NPC numbers, but you and I know that Lagos State host more than 15 million. Now, go and look at the distribution of revenues - see example below (Akwa Ibom gets 1/4 more revenue than Lagos).

Lastly, it is not a comparison with Akwa Ibom that we are after in the SW it is a comparison between the PDP era in our states and the era under ACN. The difference is clear as day. People of Osun don't live in Akwa Ibom, neither do the people of Lagos - they are praising those who have made THEIR LIVES BETTER, not those who make Akwa Ibomites lives better.

Besides, wasn't it Akpabio that described the opposition as a virus that cannot be allowed to exist going around intimidating his opponent, and so on.

Your Lagos that you praise so much is still one of three worst cities to live in on earth.
Interestingly, this is the same city your so-called progressive ACN have ruled for 13yrs.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Gbawe: 9:04am On Dec 05, 2012
@OP

Don't you get what is very obvious? In the SW people love to talk about themselves and limit their focus to their own affairs and how to better themselves. That is the best way to be as a human being because it is unhealthy focusing on others as many like you do even on this forum daily. It is all about inferiority complex and a lack of self-satisfaction, self-confidence or the absence of self-fulfilment that leads a man to always crave to be involved in the affair of others.

America and Britain have people who are introspective yet they are criticised for this and I tell those critics that "what would you have them do"? Ignore their own affairs, as many Nigerians do, to be focused entirely on that of others? When you are satisfied with yourself you keep your eyes on yourself. Others not happy with themselves keep their eyes on you. Very simple.

That is why ACN/SW governors are in the news. It is because their own talk about them and others , who should mind their business, are obsessed with talking about them too while ignoring their own. The sum effect is that it will appear as if the opposition own the press whereas the reality is that it is everyone converging to talk about SW affairs/people. Don't blame the opposition for that.

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Guk: 9:07am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo:

mind you i was told Fashola has a jet, it was never printed.
Be wise people.

Fashola!!! Private Jet? for where? Let me tell you what i used my own eyes to see about this man at the International Airport in Lagos. (1) Only 2 of his personal aides followed him to departure point. His aide camp with gun was not even there. (2) This man wheeled his hand luggage himself and picked it up and placed it on the table for searching before walking into the plane. (3) This man walked into the plane on his own, no aide or advance party surrounded him. He was on his way out to meet his family on a short holiday.

Asides that, his convoy is less than 5 cars with no siren blaring to clear road for him
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by fuke(m): 9:08am On Dec 05, 2012
Ikengawo: I get the feeling that Nigerian sentiment is the way it is because the opposition controls the media, and being more progressive minded than the PDP, controls new forms of media pretaining to the internet (I personally know PDP's party line up in my state and non of these men are tech savvy enough to operate a smart phone talkless of understand the internet).

If you look at the internet, the nigerian personalities that are most savvy at using it
El Rufai
Utomi
Ribadu
etc.

PDP's 'old school' line up has been completely taken by storm.

The reason I want to point this out is because I'm coming to see the Nigeria's media is now dominated by the opposition and this is why it's so incredibly negative. The media is one sided and is on a mission to defame the presidency, as is their role in democratic partisan politics. This is why the governors you see and hear about in the media

Oshiomole
Fashola
Mimiko
Amosun
Ajimobi
Rochas
Peter Obi

are all opposition men. they are called the progressives and their every move is highlighted to make the other PDP governors not look like their working. The impression is that these are the mend that are constantly and actively building their states up. Therefore people such as

Chime Sullivan
Imoke
Amaechi
Sule Lamido
Godswill Akpabio

and various performing PDP administrators are completely left out of the news. It's even more interested that out of the ones i've listed, the ACN governors, by far, get the most positive media attention. No opposition governor has done for their state what Akpabio and Amaechi have done for their own.
I'm not a PDP guy but it's a pattern i've noticed and i want people to steer clear of partisan deception when reading nigerian media and think with an independant mind. I too believe the PDP has failed this country,but i'm not going to pretend that there's nobody in PDP doing their job because that's not the truth as the media is trying to portray.

Stop Complaining.

The internet is for everybody.
The problem is that what you call the opposition are educated and move with time.
The AcN governors and reps are sound.

My local government Chairman, an ACN has a doctorate.
Babafemi Ojudu , Barrister Adeniyi, two of my three senators are as good as they come.

As for hard copy press, the PDP has their fair share. The Compass, The Tribune, The Champion.
Problem is nobody reads them.

PDP has all the money, let them set up their own Newspapers.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Goddex: 9:10am On Dec 05, 2012
Tinubu an individual acquired planes . . .
As usual, our bias press gave a blind eye but instead
are busy reporting planes bought by Rivers and Akwa Ibom state governments.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Demdem(m): 9:12am On Dec 05, 2012
Guk:

Fashola!!! Private Jet? for where? Let me tell you what i used my own eyes to see about this man at the International Airport in Lagos. (1) Only 2 of his personal aides followed him to departure point. His aide camp with gun was not even there. (2) This man wheeled his hand luggage himself and picked it up and placed it on the table for searching before walking into the plane. (3) This man walked into the plane on his own, no aide or advance party surrounded him. He was on his way out to meet his family on a short holiday.

Asides that, his convoy is less than 5 cars with no siren blaring to clear road for him

Now this is what we expect from all our leaders. Only those that have a lot to hide will find this very difficult to do. Even Akpabio in all his majesty cant.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by GARRIx7(m): 9:15am On Dec 05, 2012
OP: Jarus and Gbawe have done justice to the issue. So print out their posts and go show it to ur OGA..

1 Like

Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by gregg2: 9:17am On Dec 05, 2012
Goddex:

Your Lagos that you praise so much is still one of three worst cities to live in on earth.
Interestingly, this is the same city your so-called progressive ACN have ruled for 13yrs.

My dear, I wonder . . .
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Iolo(m): 9:18am On Dec 05, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Poor State citizen using camel while the State executives drive home in convoy.

Picture speak louder

Good road is not for the poor

Having lived in Jigawa state, I can tell you that most of the people riding these camels are from Niger Republic so not Nigerians. Plus a grown camel costs 200k+ to buy in that same state as they don't raise camels. So its def not for the extremely poor too.
Re: The Media Is An Opposition Dominated Industry by Iolo(m): 9:22am On Dec 05, 2012
I was talking to a friend the other day and the issue of corruption in ACN controlled states came up. How come its hardly in the media that money was stolen or a contract was inflated somewhere? Its hardly believable that there is absolutely no corruption in the SW states even though the Govs are performing above average.

I do feel that the opposition controls or has substantial influence over the news media as we hardly hear any bad news from their own side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abia Distributes 202 Cars To Youths / Powerful forces behind crisis in ANN - Jay Samuel / President Buhari Returns To Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.