Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,910 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? (11067 Views)

PHOTO: This Wedding Is Attracting A Lot Of Attention / Parental Consent - Really Necessary?? / Renting/borrowing Big Car For Wedding: Is It A Must? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
Holla, Nairalanders!!
Just wanna know, how many of you would prefer, for your wedding, to just waltz into the marriage registry and sign the necessary forms (court marriage) and then host a little party for the family and maybe call a priest (or whatever religious minister floats your boat) to bless the union briefly before the party commences.
Thing is, my cousin did this and had over a few guests in his house, some family, and a priest and that was it. No fancy white wedding, no cutthroat wedding gowns and the associated exorbitant makeuP artist fees, no extravagant reception. Just a few people made the get together special and that was it. He's married for two years now and i've never seen any couple happier.
My question is, does the absence of a flashy white wedding (just after the flashy traditional wedding) diminish the validity of any marriage union??
Thanx.

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by icefish1(f): 8:54pm On Dec 05, 2012
Of Course,its nt Necessary. I really tink dat its a personal tin as in sum people want to go all out while odas prefer a small n simple ceremony. I dnt really blame those who want a lavish weddin cos its a 1-off tin all things bein equal

2 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Mynd44: 9:05pm On Dec 05, 2012
As long as oaths are exchanged and it is documented, wedding done go home

2 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
Mynd_44: As long as oaths are exchanged and it is documented, wedding done go home
Abi o.. Bt i also feel whr Ifi's mind's at. Decisions for d size of d wedding isnt one tht shd b taken with a 'crowd mentality'.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2012
No.
It can be as white as ppl want it to be,
if the relationship doesn't work out it's only going
to be money and time wasted..on a ceremony.

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Dec 05, 2012
*Kails*:
No.
It can be as white as ppl want it to be,
if the relationship doesn't work out it's only going
to be money and time wasted..on a ceremony.

Spot on! As far as white weddings in recent tyms, i dnt think it gets any 'whiter' than Kim Kardashían's wedding. And see hw they ended- 72days then divorce.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by lolaluv1(f): 7:34am On Dec 06, 2012
Many have done the registry thing and failed too.

It's not about the type of ceremony. You see, the success of a union depends on so much more than just the ceremony: knowledge, selflessness, understanding, compatibility, attitude, care, forgiveness, love etc....

At the end of the day, whatever type of ceremony people choose, be it small or big; it will only result in a successful union when it has all the right ingredients.

5 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by UjSizzle(f): 8:09am On Dec 06, 2012
You'd think taking a vow in the presence of God, loved ones and absolute strangers will curb the divorce rate; but nope it doesn't change anything.
Just an excuse to throw a party; doesn't mean i don't want one grin.

2 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Mynd44: 9:31am On Dec 06, 2012
uj_sizzle: You'd think taking a vow in the presence of God, loved ones and absolute strangers will curb the divorce rate; but nope it doesn't change anything.
Just an excuse to throw a party; doesn't mean i don't want one grin.
Everyone loves a good party na

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 06, 2012
The above reasons for not conducting a white wedding,seems pessimistic.I mean, that divorce or disharmony might knock on ur 'marriage door',doesn't mean u shud expect it and spend less cash in wedding preparations.IMO, White wedding is not necessary to whom it is not necessary.Its a case of 'mind-over-matter'

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by 3direct: 2:39pm On Dec 06, 2012
The length of a marriage is inversely proportional to the amount of money spent on the wedding. my advise.. spend lot shocked shocked

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Egbagirl(f): 2:40pm On Dec 06, 2012
NO it is not. There are other options: traditional and court marriage. White wedding na oyinbo ma tin. There is no need for it. Na just for show. If you want your wedding in the church? No probs! Just get a pastor and a few witnesses, go to church on a monday morning or whatever, and you are done.

Oh and the fact that you dont ave a white wedding doesnt mean you wont have a happy marriage. Two completely different things.A good wedding does not = A good marriage. Wedding na ceremony. It's about how well you can do that. Marriage na instituion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by ZeusI: 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
Blessing of marriage is very necessary, but not compulsory. What is both necessary and cumpulsory is bride price: based on biblical tenet.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
It is, to cuff your partner for life! Better still do it in a catholic church, maximum sentence 4 life

2 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Gabrielsylar(m): 2:42pm On Dec 06, 2012
what is white wedding....
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by mimifonwon(f): 2:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wizard_of_Oz: Holla, Nairalanders!!
Just wanna know, how many of you would prefer, for your wedding, to just waltz into the marriage registry and sign the necessary forms (court marriage) and then host a little party for the family and maybe call a priest (or whatever religious minister floats your boat) to bless the union briefly before the party commences.
Thing is, my cousin did this and had over a few guests in his house, some family, and a priest and that was it. No fancy white wedding, no cutthroat wedding gowns and the associated exorbitant makeuP artist fees, no extravagant reception. Just a few people made the get together special and that was it. He's married for two years now and i've never seen any couple happier.
My question is, does the absence of a flashy white wedding (just after the flashy traditional wedding) diminish the validity of any marriage union??
Thanx.

Personally i dont want to have any white wedding for it is not my tradition, ill get married just the way my ancestors did. This white wedding is european tradition, and its sad that most of us value their traditions above ours. SMH!!!

12 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Tyche(m): 2:46pm On Dec 06, 2012
Not at all. As an African, traditional marriage is the priority for me. Afterwards na the 3 kids that will follow.

2 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 06, 2012
White wedding isn't necessary not only the black wedding - traditional wedding is done!
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by lulu69: 2:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
This author of the article in the link below had an interesting point worth reading. There should be nothing "white" about a wedding

http://www.ynaija.com/opinion-what-is-white-about-a-wedding/
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nasri100(m): 2:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
At all we shall vivdly F uck and live happily ever after.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ada Nri1: It is, to cuff your partner for life! Better still do it in a catholic church, maximum sentence 4 life
Reali? Does it mean divorces r forbidden& nt valid in d catholic church??
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by pingo(m): 3:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ta!1111111111111111111111111111
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by SamMilla1(m): 3:09pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wow!

Nigerians are liberated from white traditions. Great!
Hypocrisy has eaten deep into the minds of our people.
You see it is not necessary to host a white/church wedding but it is the same ladies who are distancing themslves from it here that will pressure the husbands for wedding.
Their flimsy excuses will range from:
My friend did it to my Pastor wants me to do it.
They cannot hold their ground whenthe time comes.
Until our girls are bold enough to face the Pastor or Rev.Father and tell them that they dont need White weddings, And until they are able to face their girlfriends and tell them to mind their own marriages, then white wedding remains necessary.

I have already decided not to do it and i told my girl before she moved to my place.

4 Likes

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Sam Milla: Wow!

Nigerians are liberated from white traditions. Great!
Hypocrisy has eaten deep into the minds of our people.
You see it is not necessary to host a white/church wedding but it is the same ladies who are distancing themslves from it here that will pressure the husbands for wedding.
Their flimsy excuses will range from:
My friend did it to my Pastor wants me to do it.
They cannot hold their ground whenthe time comes.
Until our girls are bold enough to face the Pastor or Rev.Father and tell them that they dont need White weddings, And until they are able to face their girlfriends and tell them to mind their own marriages, then white wedding remains necessary.

I have already decided not to do it and i told my girl before she moved to my place.

True talk
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Naijapikin1: 3:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
Well, its not the brand of weddin dat makes the marriage a success. Me thinks, its all about the couple, particularly the ladies. They want the world to see them “all bright and sparklin“ on their day of glory. Ah dont hava problem wit dat,jus do wat a gud wife‘s supposed 2do. Shikenan.

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Naijapikin1: 3:23pm On Dec 06, 2012
Ada Nri1: It is, to cuff your partner for life! Better still do it in a catholic church, maximum sentence 4 life
S‘cuse me..Ur makin marriage sound scary.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by kokoye(m): 3:30pm On Dec 06, 2012
Your choice really.

But some people will not like the sound of that o (pastors maybe??)

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 06, 2012
mimifonwon:

Personally i dont want to have any white wedding for it is not my tradition, ill get married just the way my ancestors did. This white wedding is european tradition, and its sad that most of us value their traditions above ours. SMH!!!
My problem with trad weddings is that most family relatives try to use it as a way to enrich themselves at d expense of d groom.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by 3direct: 3:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
hubby payin tax on trad wedding is crap

1 Like

Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by sylve11: 4:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wizard_of_Oz:
My problem with trad weddings is that most family relatives try to use it as a way to enrich themselves at d expense of d groom.

That is if u r from the eastern part of naija. cool
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wizard_of_Oz:
Reali? Does it mean divorces r forbidden& nt valid in d catholic church??
Yep. Once married is already married. The only way you get a divorce is if you guys didn't consumate the union.
Re: White Wedding: Is It Really Necessary?? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 06, 2012
Naija_pikin 1: S‘cuse me..Ur makin marriage sound scary.
It aint for the faint hearted cheesy
You will be tried, tested and tempted! When you can't find a way out you stay and work out your differences. Then............

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Haven't Washed My Puss-y In 2 Weeks / Kylie Jenner Takes A Sexy Photo Showing Her Big Butt- See Here / Dairy Of A Cheater True stories!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.