Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? (20461 Views)

Breaking News: Nigerian Army Denies Having Buhari's Credential, Releases Stateme / The Problem With Having Kwankwaso In Apc- House Rep Kawu / What Is Wrong With The Youths Of This Nation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by lanrefront1(m): 12:10pm On Dec 08, 2012
Desdola: though am not a fan of GEJ, but the idea of Buhari leading this country is out of it. Any other good person shld rule but definitely not Buhari.

Please what do you mean by any other good person? I'm sure u don't mean Jesu Christ and if you don't, please do mention these good person or persons.

You people talk as if good persons of intergrity and honesty with enough clout to become the President of a nations just suddenly drops out of the sky overnight. They are made over the years, or sometimes decades.

If there are other good people that can take over 2015 and do a better job than Buahri, by now they will be a known quantity and a force to reckon with.

So people, pls mention names and don't just say: Not Buahri, but other good people. Have this good people of integrity and honesty comparable to the General have no names?

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by lanrefront1(m): 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2012
foxxynik: I TOTALLY HATE THE WAY NIGERIANS THINK.....WAT HAS BUHARI GOT TO OFFER? LEME TELL...IF HE´S GOT ANY CHANGE TO MEK...IT WAS THEN WHEN HE HAD HIS CHANCES AND SEVERAL OPPORTUNITIES TO......GOODLUCK HAS DONE HIS BEST AND BEING A CHRISTIAN AND A SOUTHERNER MANY THINGS WUNT LET HIM RULE THE WAY HE OUGTS TO E.G MILITANCY AND BOKOHARAM ISSUES.....AND EVEN D SO CALLED POLITICAL GODFATHERS USES THIS OPPORTUNTY TO EMBESSLE MONEY.......BUHARI ABI NA BUGHATTI SHULD GO AND BURI HIMSELF AND LET OTHER NEW YOUNG POLITICIANS WITH MODERN CONCEPTIONS TO RULE.....HABA.....HIM DON OLD NA....MEK HIM GO DIE......HIM MATES DEM DON DIE FINISH.....GOWON DEM

So Bokoharam and Militantcy are responsible for the 5 trillion of Nigerian's money that has been stolen in the two years since GEJ became President? I beg, look for something else to say.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by kinguwem: 12:31pm On Dec 08, 2012
One becomes a President by winning elections not by sentiments. Buhari lost elections because nigerians preferred OBJ, Yar'Adua & GEJ to him.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by honeric01(m): 1:09pm On Dec 08, 2012
lanre_front:

So Bokoharam and Militantcy are responsible for the 5 trillion of Nigerian's money that has been stolen in the two years since GEJ became President? I beg, look for something else to say.

Some people can't think, you have known this by now.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by eldoradoxx: 1:10pm On Dec 08, 2012
0lumide:

Buhari is islamist yet Nigeria didn't join the Islamic nations' clique under him?

Buhari is wants to islamize Nigeria yet when he had totalitarian power, he did not islamize Nigeria?

Buhari is an illiterate yet he managed our economy leaving no debt behind. But the PHD holder is making us owe $41billion?

Ignorance is one of our problems in Nigeria. If we can get ignorance out of our country, corruption will follow it out!!

I have said it on my other thread and will say it again. SS/SE vote won't count in 2015 if they decide to vote for PDP again..

SS/SE vote can't beat that of SW/North that will overwhelmingly vote for buhari!
This is also where u got it all wrong! I did a political calculation of the political equation that was thrown up by 2011 elections and found that North Central is the key for determining who looses or wins Office presidential elections in Nigeria. North East/ West will normally overwhelmingly vote along religious line just as South East, West and South South. This makes the North central as pluralistic as it is to determine who it sways. What I observed was that whereas GEJ lost in the entire North East and North West(on religious grounds no doubt), he won in North Central(also on religious grounds) and South minus some states in South West. So there is a big factor bigger than the party or candidate, it is religious! It determines how election results sway at presidential level, it will even play out more 2015 presidential election going by the polarisation of Islam n Christainty with the continued bombings of places of worship.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by benson19: 1:12pm On Dec 08, 2012
Say una no dey pray 4 una papa 2 bcom d president of nigeria... Dnt u guys av fada 2 b d presido of 9ja and 2 honest with u guys buhari is 2 old 2 rule nigeria me and u cn take nigeria 2 d promise land nt a old man like Gen. Buhari

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by nagoma(m): 1:21pm On Dec 08, 2012
benson19: Say una no dey pray 4 una papa 2 bcom d president of nigeria... Dnt u guys av fada 2 b d presido of 9ja and 2 honest with u guys buhari is 2 old 2 rule nigeria me and u cn take nigeria 2 d promise land nt a old man like Gen. Buhari

I can just see your head , a zero, an empty circle with some hair growth on top of it. sad
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Chimezie250(m): 1:21pm On Dec 08, 2012
berem: I prefer a fanatic buhari than a clueless Jonathan.
I support buhari
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by eldoradoxx: 1:29pm On Dec 08, 2012
Chimezie250: I support buhari
Hahahahahahahaha, its funny that Southerner would often claim to love Buhari, but same man has never won presidential election in even a Local Govt in the entire South, hypocrites!!!
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by bigdoo: 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2012
Whether or not there is something wrong with having Buhari as president is not a matter to be decided by Nairalanders. It is left for Nigerian voters to decide if Buhari decides to contest in 2015.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by prospero5(m): 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2012
[quote author=lacasa]Haters say he's a relgious bigot yet his over 10year personal driver and Cook are Christians cool

Haters say he wants to Islamize Nigeria Yet he invited a PASTOR to be his Vice-presidential running mate cool. Don't be so lame. He never invited Tunde Bakare. It was a strategy. Politics!

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by CashVessel(m): 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2012
There's nuffin wrong at all. He'll be a better choice for Nigerians than what we have at d moment. He just needs to throw away some traces of religious fanatism.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Rexyl(m): 2:23pm On Dec 08, 2012
the whole episode of this, becoming knowing in the history shall die with the history of this nation before 2015 general elections. i pray events will culminate, change things over, and hopes of those having hands in shedding the innocent blood and master minding troubles in the nation shall be dashed.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by ajadek(m): 2:28pm On Dec 08, 2012
lacasa: Haters say he's a relgious bigot yet his over 10year personal driver and Cook are Christians cool

Haters say he wants to Islamize Nigeria Yet he invited a PASTOR to be his Vice-presidential running mate cool

Haters say he is BokoHaram yet all the politicians arrested and charged wt boko-haram links are all PDP chiefs cool

Haters say he vowed to make Nigeria ungovernable yet it was Lawal Keita another PDP chieftain who said ​ so​ and NOT the CPC nor General Buhari

......Gen Buhari is Corruption free, full of Integrity, and Nigeria's Moses.

PDP and her sycophants must be defeated in 2015.. cool
I will spend my last kobo to bring buhari to president,I think we need him now
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by hustinken: 2:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
Osama10: Are Nigerians not tired of old & recycled products?
But we 'r now trying a new product and yet we are fast moving backward, I guess the old product will be better.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by CEOUwaezuoke: 3:45pm On Dec 08, 2012
This is revealing, for 10 years running, Buhari's driver and Cook are Christians yet people crucify him that he's a religious fanatics. Nothing is wrong with him becoming the president of this nation, I pray he will realise this come 2015.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by hubreality(m): 4:30pm On Dec 08, 2012
hustinken:
But we 'r now trying a new product and yet we are fast moving backward, I guess the old product will be better.
But, he isn't the only supposed good one in the North. There wouldn't have been any insurgence of insecurity in the North even if a new product of leader emerged from the North as president 2011. It is a pity that we look less on the cardinal problems of Nigeria since her inception; "religion and tribalism." Worst than corruption... Fighting corruption is one of them but not all there is. Nigeria need a leader who has zero tolerance on ethnicity and the evil called 'religion' of any nature.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by 2B1ASK1(m): 4:46pm On Dec 08, 2012
buhari is described by obj as an. upright man. I think in this present Nigeria he is the one man that has the nerve and liver to tackle the cabals and subsidy thieves. gej cannot because they put him there. gej originally meant well for Nigeria but his hands have been soiled so he can't pull the trigger.
se what happened in Ghana, it took Jerry railings to it and now Ghanaians have their country back. same with south Africa, Mandela has to do it for them. my brothers the cabals have taken over our country, from oil and gas and now to electricity. somebody has to break the current structure to pave way for the younger generation otherwise no hope for you and me in this naija.
trust me if buhari can manage to win 2015 the whole cabal will take to their heels. God bless Nigeria.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by hubreality(m): 4:51pm On Dec 08, 2012
2B1ASK1: buhari is described by obj as an. upright man. I think in this present Nigeria he is the one man that has the nerve and liver to tackle the cabals and subsidy thieves. gej cannot because they put him there. gej originally meant well for Nigeria but his hands have been soiled so he can't pull the trigger.
se what happened in Ghana, it took Jerry railings to it and now Ghanaians have their country back. same with south Africa, Mandela has to do it for them. my brothers the cabals have taken over our country, from oil and gas and now to electricity. somebody has to break the current structure to pave way for the younger generation otherwise no hope for you and me in this naija.
trust me if buhari can manage to win 2015 the whole cabal will take to their heels. God bless Nigeria.

He is 100% free to contest in 2015 countering his words to Nigerians earlier. In democracy, people decide. Not by force, threat, hatred, intimidation or whatever. God bless Nigeria.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by aljharem(m): 4:55pm On Dec 08, 2012
0lumide:

Buhari is islamist yet Nigeria didn't join the Islamic nations' clique under him?

Buhari is wants to islamize Nigeria yet when he had totalitarian power, he did not islamize Nigeria?

Buhari is an illiterate yet he managed our economy leaving no debt behind. But the PHD holder is making us owe $41billion?

Ignorance is one of our problems in Nigeria. If we can get ignorance out of our country, corruption will follow it out!!

I have said it on my other thread and will say it again. SS/SE vote won't count in 2015 if they decide to vote for PDP again..

SS/SE vote can't beat that of SW/North that will overwhelmingly vote for buhari!

2015 vote would not be sectional. SE and parts of SS would vote for buhari next time.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Daluuzor(m): 5:04pm On Dec 08, 2012
0lumide:

Which people aired? Haters like you? Lmao!!

What pisses me off is South easterners coming here to say represent "people" you don't even represent South East loooll!!! Hahahaha You represent you invalid vote.

In the West, we will vote for Buhari and North will vote for him overwhelmingly.. Loooll and where will that leave the SE "we hate Buhari"? Your vote will not matter..

Lool!! Anyone who vote PDP in 2015, is a biiig foool and an ignorant piece of shiiiit

just a quick reminder.... UR VOTE DONT COUNT! And it will neva count.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 08, 2012
BUHARI 2015!!!!!!!!!!

To hell with all these PDP thieves!!

The curse on the lips of our dead children on their way to heaven will follow all those paid to spread propaganda.

The curse of the land shall forever follow those who took money from politicians to come here and ruin our nation by spreading lies

May the land get hot everywhere you step foot from this day on!!!

may you never know peace no matter the amount of millions you have been paid!!!

NIGERIANS READ!!!!! WE DON'T NEED JUST A GOOD MAN THERE, WE NEED A GOOD PATRIOT WHO HAS BEEN TRIED AND TESTED!!! WE DO NOT NEED ANY "GOOD INTENTIONED MAN WHO'S HAND WILL BE SOILED"

CHILDREN ARE DYING!!

GEJ RESIGN NOW!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by aljharem(m): 5:23pm On Dec 08, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked olumide I thought you were pro-gej and we were boko harams grin grin grin

Nice you joined the progressive wink
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 08, 2012
alj harem: shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked olumide I thought you were pro-gej and we were boko harams grin grin grin

Nice you joined the progressive wink

Trust me Alj, the North caused Buhari the election with the North vs South attitude of the PDP thieves!!

I wouldn't have supported GEJ if the Northern elites didn't start getting so imperialistic with the elections

Nobody wants to support a mentality of born to rule...

But come 2015, IT IS DO OR DIE!! IF BUHARI DOESN'T RUN, WE SHOULD SEND HIM TO JAIL FOR BEING SELFISH AND UNPATRIOTIC. YOU DON'T GIVE UP FIGHTING IF YOU LOVE YOUR NATION
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by aljharem(m): 5:36pm On Dec 08, 2012
0lumide:

Trust me Alj, the North caused Buhari the election with the North vs South attitude of the PDP thieves!!

I wouldn't have supported GEJ if the Northern elites didn't start getting so imperialistic with the elections

Nobody wants to support a mentality of born to rule...

But come 2015, IT IS DO OR DIE!! IF BUHARI DOESN'T RUN, WE SHOULD SEND HIM TO JAIL FOR BEING SELFISH AND UNPATRIOTIC. YOU DON'T GIVE UP FIGHTING IF YOU LOVE YOUR NATION

Not necessarily Buhari. It was just 2011 Buhari was the best choice we had and we blew it. 2015 we would see the candidates presented and choose the best for Nigeria without sentiments of any form.

I am just happy you have seen the light
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 08, 2012
alj harem:

Not necessarily Buhari. It was just 2011 Buhari was the best choice we had and we blew it. 2015 we would see the candidates presented and choose the best for Nigeria without sentiments of any form.

I am just happy you have seen the light

IF Buhari doesn't contest 2015, Nigeria is over!

We need to make him realize we need him!! We need to start donating for the campaign..
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by aljharem(m): 5:51pm On Dec 08, 2012
0lumide:

IF Buhari doesn't contest 2015, Nigeria is over!

We need to make him realize we need him!! We need to start donating for the campaign..

No Buhari is just one man. People like Pat utomi, Fashola are till there for us to use for this nation.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by thegoodjoehunt(m): 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2012
lanre_front:

Please open your eyes and mind and let go of tribal, ethnic and religious sentiments. Your real brother or kinsman is the one who takes care of you.

Tribal, ethnic and religious sentiments will take us know where. That is not the problem of the nation. The problem is corruption and it has eaten through every tribe, ethnic or religion. My problems with Buhari is:

1. The PTF management never looked sincere to me. It was also a machinery during the Abacha's regime and Buhari should clear that up.

2. During the post-election bloodshed of Corpers. As soon as it started, a man with his religious than thou attitude should have been the first to order people to stop it. Those perpetuating those acts seemed to be his loyalist. He did nothing to stop it.

3. I don't think electing a past leader is the right step to follow. It now looks like we are recycling our history.

Note your accusation of Fashola and Tinubu being corrupt is based on assumptions and accusation. You can't say "forget evidence, Fashola and Tinubu are corrupt and thieving politicians" Imagine someone saying, "forget evidence, Buhari is a radical islamist". That will be totally wrong.
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 08, 2012
[size=18pt]Buharinomics - General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984 [/size]

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5720:is-general-buhari-the-problem-with-nigeria&catid=36:pointblank&Itemid=83

Buharinomics was General Buhari’s economic program marshaled out to salvage the nation in 1984. He summarized the objective of his economic policy (as articulated in the 1984 budget) as follows: "To arrest the decline in the economy, to put the economy on a proper course of recovery and solvency, and to chart a future course for economic stability and prosperity" (West Africa, May 14, 1984). He had previously done similarly, in March while receiving the visiting Sudanese President, Gaafar Nimeiri. Upon his inquiring of what the new military government had in mind for the nation it then ruled, Buhari said to him: "The priority [of his administration] is for economic recovery, providing employment opportunities, improving people's living conditions, consolidating internal security and ensuring foreign respect" (Africa Now, March 1984). In a nutshell, Buharinomics set out to arrest the decline in the economy and refocus it towards recovery. Buharinomics was to wean the nation off consumerism and profligacy, while channeling it towards frugality and productivity. To accomplish this, the government was to cut down on its expenditure, engage in more efficient restricting and controlling of foreign exchange outflow, undertake the revival of the country's productive capacity (concentration was on agriculture), and broaden government's revenue base.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/635156_Buhari_jpgd50be5e2308ebe86c9271391021b0a5f
The first test of Buharinomics was implemented to revive the comatose banking industry and arrest local currency hoarding. In April 1984, the government ordered a change in the color of the Naira. This action was dubbed the “real coup” by unscrupulous business men and politicians who had almost eliminated the need for commercial banking in Nigeria by keeping their moneys under their mattresses or by trafficking them into neighboring West African countries. This currency change, which forced all holders of the naira notes into exchanging them for the new naira notes at commercial banks, infused billions that had remained unaccounted for into the banking industry and eliminated counterfeited currencies, which had inflicted inflationary and other nefarious effects on the economy. This measure had an immediate revitalizing effect in the banking industry and was an unqualified success. Banks that were close to collapsing became vibrant again, to the extent that some of them began to hire hitherto unemployed Nigerians.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/635893_Gen__Buhari_jpg3932850d15a62856c902dd8cc516cff9
To cut down on government expenses, the federal work force was cut by 30% and imports for 1984 pegged at 4 billion pounds (mostly on basic foodstuffs, spare parts, and raw materials for local industries), against 14 billion pounds spent in 1983. To ensure that Nigeria remained respectable on the international business world, Buhari committed to honoring Nigeria’s debt payment schedule irrespective of the limited earning potential of Nigeria. In August 1984, Buhari was on one of his meet-the-people nationwide tours, which he began as soon as the administration got on its feet. Everywhere he went, the people embraced him, coming out en mass and ushering him tumultuous cheers and unreserved applause. In one of his speeches to the people (this one in Owerri), he reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to honoring its debts, the dire economic situation notwithstanding. "The task of this administration is how to persuade Nigerians to understand that for a number of years to come, we would be paying debts, the roads may be long and thorny but we believe that on our shoulders lies the responsibility to save our fatherland from devastation that has resulted from mismanagement" (Newswatch, February 18, 1985).
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/635886_Gen__Buhari_-_Armed_Forces_Day_jpgae96a40b5e2050b6d582cd44f4943800[/img]
Buhari could not have been any more correct in his statement above. Assuming Nigeria took no further loans, its breakdown of loan repayments was as follows: 3.9 billion naira ($4.4 billion) in 1985, 3.7 billion naira ($4.19 billion) in 1986, 2.8 billion naira ($3.2 billion) in 1987, until a decrease to 703 million in 1991 (Concord Weekly, May 6, 1985). Nigeria’s precarious financial situation made it impossible for it to finance capital projects and meet up its balance of payment obligations. With oil export pegged at 1.3 million barrels per day by OPEC, borrowing from external sources became necessary. To this effect, Nigeria proposed borrowing 1.795m naira to finance its capital project from the IMF. The patriotism with which General Buhari handled Nigeria’s dealings with the IMF was the highlight and beauty of Buharinomics.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/635887_General_Muhammadu-Buhari-1984_jpg807fb78f1366f42744d90196f32d264e[/img]
In order to qualify for the loan, IMF gave Nigeria certain conditions which must be met. In 1984 when the naira exchanged for $1.34, the IMF demanded a minimum of 60% devaluation of it. Buhari refused, agreeing only to a "crawling peg"—a mechanism whereby government would realign the currency gradually, forestalling or minimizing economic and social dislocations because of such drastic devaluation of its currency. In addition to the devaluation of the naira, IMF demanded that government took other drastic actions: (a) The government must remove its subsidy on petroleum. (b) It must curtail its expenditure. (c) Government must rationalize its tariff structures. (d) It must put a freeze on its wages. (e) It must put a total end of non-statutory transfers to State governments, (f) Government must at least institute a 30% raise on interest rates—government resisted this because the decline in its revenue earnings and its debt obligations made it almost impossible to raise interest rates without triggering inflation (West Africa, May 14, 1984).
www.nairaland.com/attachments/908607_Gen_Buhari_jpg680f0e3cee55a5a2432551406739fb8e
The Nigerian government and veteran economists in Nigeria (like Aluko, Onosade, Okigbo, etc) could not make sense of being asked to devalue its currency when Nigeria’s imports were in dollar and its export (fixed quantity of oil) was also in dollar. The implication of devaluation was that Nigeria would pay more to import lesser quantity of goods than it did prior to any devaluation. It would also export the same amount of oil it exported before any devaluation and derive lesser revenue than it received before any devaluation The impacts of it debt payment would have harsher effect on the citizenry if the naira was devalued. This did not make any economic sense to Buhari; it struck him as an insult on the intelligence of the African. Finance Minister Onaolapo Soleye and Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji who led the Nigerian delegation to the last negotiation in Washington were chewed out by US Federal Reserve Chairman, Paul Volcker, for presenting the Nigerian governments rejection of most of these recommendations. For rejecting the IMF conditions and the loan, the Buhari administration got into the black book of Washington. Already, it had earned the dislike of 10 Downing Street for cutting down Nigeria’s imports from the UK by about 350%. In any case, without the IMF loan, government was still in a bind as to how to finance capital projects and pay for imports, especially spare parts for local industries, food items, etc. At this juncture, the genius and resourcefulness of Buharinomics illuminated to the delight of the African.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/686219_buhari_parade_jpgcf420c430ac5cdb9a5c0fadf1e0fb509
First, the administration sent Oil Minister Tam David West to OPEC to seek a raise in the quantity of oil that Nigeria could export. If OPEC agreed, Nigeria would expect to generate extra revenue in the long run from any increase of its oil quota and this would assist tremendously in augmenting the shortfall in the nation’s purse. Professor West came back empty handed—the US and Britain had put pressure on their puppets in OPEC (like Saudi Arabia) to refuse Nigeria’s request.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/710787_buhari_pic_gif0b92a71a0ffa3f1da9713778c0f7a2f0
To counter OPEC’s bluff, the Buhari administration entered into a $2 billion barter trade agreement with four countries. Nigeria daily bartered 200,000 barrels of oil as follows: (a) completely knocked down parts for automobiles from Brazil. (b) Construction equipment from Italy (c) Engineering equipment from France, and (d) Capital goods from Austria. This barter trade took care of the administration’s need to have borrowed money but it intensified the ill will the US and Britain had for Nigeria. By bartering this oil, Nigeria was: (a) solving those needs which the proposed IMF loan was geared toward. Doing so without borrowing or feeling the pains of spending the meager amount generated from its OPEC approved 1.3 billion a day oil export is the stuff an economic wizard is made of. (b) Britain had been cut off as Nigeria’s major supplier of the goods which the countries in the barter agreement sent to Nigeria. (c) The US usurious money lenders were denied the chance to suck Nigeria dry through the IMF loan. (d) American and British oil companies were irate that the oil being bartered would flood the oil market, cutting in on their profits. (d) The oil being bartered was oil that used to be illegally bunkered before Buhari put illegal oil bunkering artist out of business. For once, an African country had put positive economic mechanism in place to salvage its ailing economy without swallowing IMF’s poison pills.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/726098_Buhari_jpgd50be5e2308ebe86c9271391021b0a5f
As far as America and Britain were concerned, there was a price to be paid by this Buhari, who thought he was smart enough not to accept subservience to their authority. To begin with, a London newspaper (The Financial Times) published Nigeria’s barter trade agreement with Brazil (which, in truth, was done in secrecy because Buhari treated some aspects of his economic policy as State secret). The British thought it was going to incite OPEC against Nigeria since OPEC as a body did not support oil bartering. Oil Minister Tam David West, in a press conference, said, “If a nation believes it is part of its strategy for national survival to do this [barter trade], why not?” To assure OPEC that Nigeria was not indulging in barter trade in order to pull out of OPEC, he added ”Our strategy is to stay in OPEC and make its presence felt, and work together on programs that will be for the economic interest of all” (Concord Weekly, May 6, 1985). There is more to this barter trade than time will permit one to detail in this piece. For now, it is worth noting that it was the major reason for which Britain and America wanted the Buhari administration overthrown.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/754009_Gen__Buhari_jpg3932850d15a62856c902dd8cc516cff9
The counter trade showcased Buhari as a visionary. He made America and Britain feel silly and they swore to get him out of office. When Babangida took over, on his maiden speech to the nation he promised to revisit the counter trade agreements. Within two weeks in office, September 17, 1985, he setup a panel to review it and recommend to his administration how to revive the economy without the use of counter trade. Babangida rolled back counter trade at the behest of his imperialist masters and at the detriment of the Nigerian nation and people.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/754008_Gen__Buhari_-_Armed_Forces_Day_jpgae96a40b5e2050b6d582cd44f4943800[/img]
By the time the Buhari administration was overthrown in August of 1985, Buharinomics was beginning to yield dividends. For example, the inflationary rate had fallen from 23.2% in 1983 to 5.5% in 1985. Nigeria did not regret rejecting the IMF loan because it was meeting its obligation of prompt debt payment and the bartered goods were, to some extent, holding up within the austerity measure which had been in place since the Shagari days. Food was becoming reasonably available for two reasons: (a) The emphasis paid to agriculture had resulted in abundant food harvests, especially yam tubers. (b) The border closure made it impossible for unscrupulous business men to continue smuggling food items into neighboring countries where they sold for twice their value in Nigeria.

Had Buharinomics continued for at least five years, Nigeria would have joined the Asian tigers in economic growth and self reliance. We know that to be true because Babangida came into office and did everything the IMF asked and the Nigerian economy took a dive into the gutter and has not recovered yet.
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/754010_General_Muhammadu-Buhari-1984_jpg807fb78f1366f42744d90196f32d264e[/img]

for the corrupt, the fear of Buhari is the beginning of wisodom
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 08, 2012
[size=13pt]Major-General Buhari was selected to lead the country by middle and high-ranking military officers after a successful military coup d'etat that overthrew civilian President Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983.

At the time, Buhari was head of the Third Armored Division of Jos. Buhari was appointed Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, and Tunde Idiagbon was appointed Chief of General Staff (the de facto No. 2 in the administration). Buhari justified the military's seizure of power by castigating the civilian government as hopelessly corrupt.[/size]

[size=18pt]General Buhari's Maiden Speech: - 1st January 1984[/size]

In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is with humility and a deep sense of responsibility that I accept this challenge and call to national duty.

As you must have heard in the previous announcement, the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1979) has been suspended, except those sections of it which are exempted in the constitution.The change became necessary in order to put an end to the serious economic predicament and the crisis of confidence now afflicting our nation. Consequently, the Nigerian armed forces have constituted themselves into a Federal Military Government comprising of a Supreme Military Council, a National Council of States, a Federal Executive Council at the centre and State Executive Councils to be presided over by military governors in each of the states of the federation. Members of these councils will be announced soon.The last Federal Military Government drew up a programme with the aim of handing over political power to the civilians in 1979. This programme as you all know, was implemented to the letter. The 1979 constitution was promulgated. However, little did the military realise that the political leadership of the second republic will circumvent most of the checks and balances in the constitution and bring the present state of general insecurity. The premium on political power became so exceedingly high that political contestants regarded victory at elections as a matter of life and death struggle and were determined to capture or retain power by all means.

It is true that there is a worldwide economic recession. However, in the case of Nigeria, its impact was aggravated by mismanagement. We believe the appropriate government agencies have good advice but the leadership disregarded their advice. The situation could have been avoided if the legislators were alive to their constitutional responsibilities; Instead, the legislators were preoccupied with determining their salary scales, fringe benefit and unnecessary foreign travels, et al, which took no account of the state of the economy and the welfare of the people they represented. As a result of our inability to cultivate financial discipline and prudent management of the economy, we have come to depend largely on internal and external borrowing to execute government projects with attendant domestic pressure and soaring external debts, thus aggravating the propensity of the outgoing civilian administration to mismanage our financial resources. Nigeria was already condemned perpetually with the twin problem of heavy budget deficits and weak balance of payments position, with the prospect of building a virile and viable economy.

The last general election was anything but free and fair. The only political parties that could complain of election rigging are those parties that lacked the resources to rig. There is ample evidence that rigging and thuggery were relative to the resources available to the parties. This conclusively proved to us that the parties have not developed confidence in the presidential system of government on which the nation invested so much material and human resources.While corruption and indiscipline have been associated with our state of under-development, these two evils in our body politic have attained unprecedented height in the past few years. The corrupt, inept and insensitive leadership in the last four years has been the source of immorality and impropriety in our society. Since what happens in any society is largely a reflection of the leadership of that society, we deplore corruption in all its facets. This government will not tolerate kick-backs, inflation of contracts and over-invoicing of imports etc. Nor will it condone forgery, fraud, embezzlement, misuse and abuse of office and illegal dealings in foreign exchange and smuggling.

Arson has been used to cover up fraudulent acts in public institutions. I am referring to the fire incidents that gutted the P&T buildings in Lagos, the Anambra State Broadcasting Corporation, the Republic Building at Marina, the Federal Ministry of Education, the Federal Capital Development Authority Accounts at Abuja and the NET Building. Most of these fire incidents occurred at a time when Nigerians were being apprehensive of the frequency of fraud scandals and the government incapacity to deal with them. Corruption has become so pervasive and intractable that a whole ministry has been created to stem it.

Fellow Nigerians, this indeed is the moment of truth. My colleagues and I – the Supreme Military Council, must be frank enough to acknowledge the fact that at the moment, an accurate picture of the financial position is yet to be determined. We have no doubt that the situation is bad enough. In spite of all this, every effort will be made to ensure that the difficult and degrading conditions under which we are living are eliminated. Let no one however be deceived that workers who have not received their salaries in the past eight or so months will receive such salaries within today or tomorrow or that hospitals which have been without drugs for months will be provided with enough immediately.We are determined that with the help of God we shall do our best to settle genuine payments to which government is committed, including backlog of workers’ salaries after scrutiny. We are confident and we assure you that even in the face of the global recession, and the seemingly gloomy financial future, given prudent management of Nigeria’s existing financial resources and our determination to substantially reduce and eventually nail down rises in budgetary deficits and weak balance of payments position.The Federal Military Government will reappraise policies with a view to paying greater attention to the following areas:

The economy will be given a new impetus and better sense of direction.
Corrupt officials and their agents will be brought to book.
In view of the drought that affected most parts of the country, the federal government will, with the available resources, import food stuffs to supplement the shortfalls suffered in the last harvest.
Our foreign policy will both be dynamic and realistic. Africa will of course continue to be the centre piece of our foreign policy. The morale and combat readiness of the armed forces will be given high priority. Officers and men with high personal and professional integrity will have nothing to fear.

The Chief Justice of Nigeria and all other holders of judiciary appointments within the federation can continue in their appointments and the judiciary shall continue to function under existing laws subject to such exceptions as may e decreed from time to time by the Federal Military Government. All holders of appointments in the civil service, the police and the National Security Organisation shall continue to exercise their functions in the normal way subject to changes that may be introduced by the Federal Military Government. All those chairmen and members of statutory corporations, parastatals and other executive departments are hereby relieved of their appointments with immediate effect.

The Federal Military Government will maintain and strengthen existing diplomatic relations with other states and with international organisations and institutions such as the Organisation of African Unity, the United Nations and its organs, Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, ECOWAS and the Commonwealth etc. The Federal Military Government will honour and respect all treaties and obligations entered into by the previous government and we hope that such nations and bodies will reciprocate this gesture by respecting our country’s territorial integrity and sovereignty.

Fellow Nigerians, finally, we have dutifully intervened to save this nation from imminent collapse. We therefore expect all Nigerians, including those who participated directly or indirectly in bringing the nation to this present predicament, to cooperate with us. This generation of Nigerians, and indeed future generations, have no country other than Nigeria. We shall remain here and salvage it together.

May God bless us all. Good morning.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/635156_Buhari_jpgd50be5e2308ebe86c9271391021b0a5f
Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 08, 2012
[size=18pt]Making Nigeria Work Once Again, by Muhammadu Buhari[/size]

Published on Wednesday, 06 April 2011 21:31
Written by General Muhammadu Buhari

It gives me great pleasure to have this opportunity of standing before you this morning to say a few words about our party and what plans we have for you and the nation in our manifesto. Let me therefore begin by welcoming all of you to the event. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the CPC Election Manifesto which sets out our election promises and plan of action. Its central and urgent message is that as Nigerians, we must restructure the
country and change our ways. And in this there is an invitation to each and every one of us to come forward and join the struggle, so that together we take the destiny of this nation in our hands—and change it into a united, prosperous, caring, truly democratic Federal republic.

But before we will be able to do this, we must secure, manage and govern the country in a way that releases the energies and potentials of our people and direct these to wholesome ends. Giving this direction is what a CPC government is here to do in order to arrest the nation’s aimless drift.

In its 12 years of misgovernance the government of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, had bastardised the nation. In all this period, it has done very little that is right, even less that is proper, and nothing intrinsically useful or cost-effective.

It was as if they only came to pauperise the nation; and it could be said that during their time, the only places that prospered were the cemeteries and the bank accounts of a thieving elite. People in their thousands died due to poverty, hunger, disease and violent crises and violent crimes, as custodians of the nation’s resources smiled their ways to the bank.

The wealth, which would have alleviated the people’s poverty; the food, which would have satiated their hunger; and money for drugs, which would have restored them to health; and the resources for the maintenance of law and order, which would have ensured the security of the land, have all been siphoned by this insensitive leadership.

As a result, today, we cannot sleep safely in our beds or drive in safety on our highways in safety. Without power, without water and without good roads, we lack all the things other normal societies take for granted.

We all know the problems of this country, and we have known them for the past 12 years ago and before; but, apparently, it is only now that the PDP is becoming aware of them, saying that it will try to solve them. So, where was the so-called largest political party south of the Sahara during the last 12 years? What stopped people of the ruling party from giving the nation electric power, something they promised to do after six months of coming to power?

What stopped them from securing the nation from communal, religious and political violence and from the new wave of terrorism? How many years do they need to do that?

And after this glaring failure they even had the temerity to ask for your votes. How on earth can anyone consider giving his vote to the PDP? Who in his right mind will consider four more years of this open thievery? Who in his senses will elect four more years of betrayal of trusts? Or four more years of broken promises? Or four more years of a collapsed and collapsing system? Or four more years of economic mismanagement?

Ladies and gentlemen, I am Muhammadu Buhari, and today I am 69 years old; and I am sure I don’t have to remind you that I have fought many battles in my life. I have fought drift and purposelessness in this nation. I have fought corruption and indiscipline. I have fought indolence and the betrayal of trusts. I have fought the Nigerian civil war and struggled for the unity of this country in many other ways.

I have had the fortune and privilege of managing national resources in various capacities—as a military commander, as a state governor, as a minister, as head of the Petroleum Trust Fund, and as the head of state of this great country. And in all that I have been and done, I have never touched a kobo of public funds.

I say this without pride and with all sense of responsibility and humility; but I challenge anyone in the race for the leadership of this country then or now to dare make the same claim.

After being head of state, I am sure I could easily have retired into a life of comfort and ease as an elder statesman, as a contractor or as a beneficiary of any one of the nation’s many generous prebendal offerings. But that is not what I wish to do with my life.

And so, if I don’t take any of these alternative courses of action, it should be clear that I am not in this for the love of office or for pursuit after personal glory or in order to achieve some personal goal. Far be it from me that this should be. I need nothing and I have nothing more to prove. I am in this solely for the love of my country and concern for its destiny and the fate of its people.

And that is why, despite the many disappointments along the way, I am still in the struggle and will remain in it to the end. I have decided to dedicate the remainder of my life to fighting for the people of this country—until their right is restored to them.

We call on you to join us and change the destiny of this nation. And change is what CPC is all about. I am sure you will all agree with me that the question is not whether there we should change, because change we must.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/423459_tears_jpg26e9f56c0d264dffe37e318f780ce73f

The only questions remaining are determining the type of change and the speed with which that change will be implemented. To effect this, we have assembled a team of competent, experienced and patriotic Nigerians to become the vanguard of the change to get the country out the woods and away from the malaise that has kept it down.

We are on a rescue mission to recreate Nigeria and transform it into a powerful and prosperous nation. Our focus will be on improving the efficiency of national economic management; and the reintroduction of national economic development planning and the plan to successfully manage change.

The area of emphasis of our government will be on the following five: ensuring security, in which a CPC government will seek the disarmament of all criminal gangs in the nation and securing the entire polity; raising the standard of education and providing quality services at all its levels; the aggressive pursuit after youth development and youth employment generation; rehabilitating dilapidated infrastructure; and the total disarming of the Niger Delta, finding solutions to its social problems and laying down a comprehensive blueprint for the development of the area.

Along the way, we also intend to make this nation accountable and corruption-free, and bring morality back to governance. We shall make this nation uncomfortable to those who do not wish to play by the rules.

We shall challenge vested interests and erase unearned privileges. Propriety and legality will be our new watchwords; and, hopefully, in time this will become the new business as usual for the nation.

It goes without saying that this nation must be set free—from the clutches of a corrupt culture that has stunted the growth and development of democracy. A CPC government will seek to entrench democratic values, uphold the rule of law, respect the independence of the judiciary, and enforce the political neutrality of public service.

It is our undertaking that after just one term in office, a CPC government will entrench a new democratic culture that will be impossible to dismantle even by the most tough-minded anti-democrats.

We have set our priorities and we shall pursue them relentlessly. I urge you to read our manifesto and see what we have planned for this nation. And when you do so, you will see why, in the circumstance, the only sensible thing to do—is to vote for my party, the Congress for Progressive Change, CPC. It is a young party but it has already set all the others to flight. It will change the way politics is practiced in this country.

Our enterprise is truly an ambitious one. It is not just about winning an election: it is about restoring a sense of decency to our society. It is about taking pride in, and respecting, ourselves as human beings and consciously internalising democratic values. Unless we do this, development and true freedom will forever elude us and talents will never flower in the land. But if the answer is democracy, what exactly is the question? The question is: Why are we still not properly practicing it? And that is where CPC comes in—to provide the missing link. And with your support we shall begin to do just that in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you very much for your patience and attention.

Remarks by General Muhammadu Buhari,

Presidential Candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change, CPC,

at the Public Presentation of the CPC Election Manifesto in Lagos ,

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6085:making-nigeria-work-once-again-by-muhammadu-buhari&catid=25:politics&Itemid=92

[img]http://3.bp..com/-tsjTnEY9SYw/TbB_1VLXsgI/AAAAAAAAAD8/wO4Y5Fo2ltI/s1600/Muhammadu_Buhari.jpg[/img]

Re: What Is Wrong With Having Buhari As The President Of This Nation? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 08, 2012
[size=18pt]12TH APRIL 1984 - ITN NEWS
BUHARI'S MILITARY TRIBUNAL MEMBERS SWORN IN TO PROSECUTE 500 DETAINED POLITICIANS, OFFICIALS AND OTHERS CHARGED WITH FINANCIAL FRAUD[/size]
The swearing-in took place in Lagos on April 11 of members of Nigeria's special military tribunals which will try 475 detainees charged with financial misdemeanour.

The military government, in power since a coup on December 31, 1983, arrested public officials and businessmen accused of diverting millions of dollars of public money under the previous civilian regime.
The tribunal members, 20 military officers and five judges, were sworn in by Chief Justice Sodiende Sowemimo, and will begin their work around the end of April in five regional centres.

When Major-General Mohammed Buhari came to power in the New Year's Eve coup, he promised a crackdown on public corruption as one way of solving Nigeria's economic crisis.

In February, 1984, his government launched a "War against Indiscipline" to encourage a more efficient society. More recently, security forces in Lagos rounded up 6,000 suspected criminals, political extremists and illegal aliens.

A drive is currently in progress to force down food prices through raids on shopkeepers and others suspected of hoarding food.

TRANSCRIPT:
NAVAL OFFICER: (SEQ 5) "I (name indistinct), affirm that as member of the special military tribunal in (indistinct) set up under the recovery of public property (special military tribunals) decree 1984 and 1984 Number 3, I will faithfully and impartially, and to the best of my ability discharge the duties devolving upon me under the tribunal, so help me God."

www.nairaland.com/attachments/686219_buhari_parade_jpgcf420c430ac5cdb9a5c0fadf1e0fb509

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Gbenga Daniel Wins Polling Unit For APC Candidate, Dapo Abiodun / Emeka Ihedioha Appoints Uche Onyeagucha, Chris Okewulonu As SSG, COS / The Justin Nwaeke You Should Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.