Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council - NYSC (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council (23324 Views)

7 Types Of Corper Teachers You'll Meet In A School / NYSC Members Cause Of Mass Examination Failure In Nigeria - Teachers Council / Is NYSC Batch B List Out In Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by CohenJane: 7:18am On Dec 12, 2012
Bj5all:
I dont like it when pple generalize issues. i am so sure that u are an education graduate trying to hype urself while talking down on others. not so true

My comments has not in any way generalise issues. In anyway, I apologise if I have sounded that way. But that does not still floor my argument. I think the grouse here is that it shouldn't be generalised Once again, I apologise.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by ekereku: 7:18am On Dec 12, 2012
What do you think when the so-called trained teachers are perpetual absentees?
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by bhouze(m): 7:31am On Dec 12, 2012
solomon111: Any graduate Engineer that can't teach further-mathematics is a fraud.
I agree with u
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 12, 2012
solomon111: Any graduate Engineer that can't teach further-mathematics is a fraud.

Excellent and thank you!!!
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by bigboss80s(m): 7:41am On Dec 12, 2012
seanet02: I will advice you remove your phone number from this site considering your biafra postures.
Don't suffer because Nigeria does not recognize fundamental human rights. Given with the sincerest of my intentions. Register another account if you need to promote your business account.
Not an issue of cowardness, He who run away live to fight another day. Remember the biafra members in jail since three years ago.
You are still young to be clamped in jail because you were exercising your human right.
I hope u r not a 'corper' angry
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Pk001(m): 7:46am On Dec 12, 2012
jamesbridget13: pls i said i cant handle d oral aspect of it, mind u i taught that subject though i skiped d oral aspect n my students like me so much n dont even want me 2 leave by febuaury cos their permanent staff for english dont handle them d way i do. I would like 2 ask wat u studied while in school.

Mass Communication graduate can't teach oral English for secondary school level? Maybe am not getting something clear here. I thought most of the modules in mass com deals with communications skills and the courses are English oriented?

Anyway for your information I studied marine engineering and I lectured in a monotechnic (not even secondary school ) during my service. I took engineering drawing and workshop technology for both ND 1 and ND 2 students. The students graduated with the best records in over 8years. The school is proud of me till date.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by brownlord: 8:04am On Dec 12, 2012
nifemi01:
I am studying electrical electronics engineering and if there is any EE engineer out there who can't teach further maths, his certificate should be seized n he should be sent back to school.
Maths is an extensive part of engineering, when i say maths i don't mean 2+2 but real further mathematics.
If at all he can't teach, it should be becos he has no teaching skill and not because he doesn't know or umderstand further maths.

why contradicting yourself my friend, where in this thread did you read engineers not able to teach further maths or you just want to show ur dull brain, what do you know to start with, which institution r u, dont ur wack brain tell you that there is a big different btw, knowing a course and been able to impact it as those with discipline in education will do better than their counterpart who have no knowledge atall, i agree with what the man is saying, majority of the corpers even know and are not willing to impact, 90 percent of corpers go to their PPA just to sign the register and to meet up with the rules of NYSC which says u must be present at your PPA, as for me was asked to lecture in one skool after we where sent and rejected in hospital, wetin cousine agbero with overload, i go teach now, afterall the said student dont even understand common "GO " in english language
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 12, 2012
The problem is really basic. NYSC is like forced labor. A form of scheme where you have no hand or influence where you work. What do you expect from such a scheme. 100% efficiency? I really do not want to teach. I want to move forward in my career. If you force me to teach then I will teach but don't expect me to teach like someone whose life long dream has been teaching and who loves teaching.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 12, 2012
Arrgh!! I tried my best not comment on this thread, but just read through the comments. But I couldn't. I passed out from the scheme in october this year. I'd use myself as a case study.

I wanted to teach as a corper, but i was posted to PHCN because of my engineering degree. I wanted to teach to help students in their career. I was hungry for change. However, i had the opportunity of teaching our church folks preparing for Jamb. It was sweet.

Now, the problem is not many Corps members can teach. They can't teach not because they were not trained to teach but because they don't have enough believe in themselves that they are soaked with knowledge to deliver the future. Some corps members barely graduated. They graduated by dubious means. And if the government sends such a corps member to a school to teach, he'd lack what is necessary to teach because he is half -baked graduate. One can only give from what he has .
While there other circumstances where a Corps member is shy and can't even express himself or herself amongst friends. It will be even more difficult to teach students in a classroom. He or she would not be able to express himself/herself. There is much problem with this issue. It's not a light matter. Some Corps members have decided to be lazy. They have refused to brush up. Somethings we learnt, we may have forgotten but we need to go back and re-learn the basics again.

If these students in the secondary schools who would soon enter tertiary institutions are made to pass Waec and other exams through the help of their schools, without fully grasping the fundamentals in their foundation years, it will also come back to haunt us. Yes! Because they will be Corps members someday. There are so many problems with the educational system. so I sat down one day to meditate a possible solution to students in Public schools. And i came up with these possible solutions.

1. If for any reason, the NYSC scheme must continue, it has to be for this sole purpose. TEACHING.
I'd continue as i don't want this post to be too long.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by ceejayluv(m): 8:14am On Dec 12, 2012
olempe:

Smh for Imo...

Shake your head for Edo also....
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by ceejayluv(m): 8:15am On Dec 12, 2012
olempe:

Smh for Imo...
Shake your head for Edo too
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Agimor(m): 8:30am On Dec 12, 2012
Waiting concern agbero with overload.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by jezsie: 8:34am On Dec 12, 2012
The statement is a big lie because the school where such corper is been posted to has the right to accept or reject such unqualified corper but due to their own interest for cheap labour from the corpers and the laziness in their own teachers who immediately after the corpers are posted to their school will do nothing but ask the corps member to teach while they sit and gist in the staff room caused the failure. If they were in the class to guide the corpers posted to their school it would have reduce the hazard. School reject corpers you found out not qualified to your own standard and corpers don't worry if you are rejected because you will be accepted somewhere else better. It happen to me and where I was rejected later regreted they rejected me but it was too late. Takia Corps. Under the sun and in the rain we will make it. Amin.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by adaemetu(f): 8:37am On Dec 12, 2012
ITbomb: Might be true

Not really true. I am currently serving now and I can say that corp members are contributing a lot to our education sector and it's not like they pay.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by noskybanj(m): 8:39am On Dec 12, 2012
Hmmm, I fink we should visit diiz public skulz 2 tell wo causes dis mass failures. diz guys r trying 2 place d blames on corp members 4 dier failure. Mtcheww
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by noskybanj(m): 8:42am On Dec 12, 2012
ekereku: What do you think when the so-called trained teachers are perpetual absentees?
tell dem please, and ad LAZY 2 dat description
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by greatgeo(m): 8:43am On Dec 12, 2012
It may be true but there are still some teachers that are not qualified too.however this is sending a message to all sectors in the country to start moulding or training those that should take over from them eg engineers.imagine an electrical/electronics teaching economic what will he teach them.hope it work.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by free2ryhme: 8:45am On Dec 12, 2012
what is this man talking abt anyway .. is he trying to justify the posting of 3 - 7 Corpers being posted to schools (pry & secondary) as being the main reason for mass failures .. They shld find something reasonable to do and not make statements to justify poor excuses for doing their job
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by joeralph(m): 8:47am On Dec 12, 2012
Teaching is more than reading and copying from a textbook for the students to copy;teaching is more than that.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by yinyez(f): 8:56am On Dec 12, 2012
wit al due respect to dis council guy bt dis is lyk a bucket of shit splashed on corp members nd i beg to differ. We work hard to teach these kids, some of d so cald traind teachers are incompetent, take my ppa in ondo state as example. D teachers dnt kme to schl at all bt dy write exams, promote students who fail. And 4 d EE graduate who kant teach maths u re a disgrace to corpers and d academic sector
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 12, 2012
Can u imagine wat the teachers council is saying? This is a council that cannot manage its teachers properly or set a minimum standard for basic primary school curricullum talk more of carryn out its statutory functns,also state govts shold be blamed 4 failure because they fail 2 train,orient& equip teachrs, wat they do is wait 4 d nxt batch of NYSC cheap, &free labour pay them 2000per month & wrap it up, if only they knw d efforts some corps membrs put in to move this nation forward, they wont sit down to pronounce this executive balderdash
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by tonymariao(m): 9:04am On Dec 12, 2012
In as much as sm corp members are not gud enough they re still better than sm trained teachers which l
experiened during my service yr sm teachers re just there collecting salaries bunch of ingrates
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 12, 2012
I'd always count NYSC year as one of my year on earth for many reasons. Well, that's a different gist for a latter time.

Public Schools need NYSC corps members.
1. We've an average of 2000 Corpers per camp in every orientation exercise. So let's imagine that half of this are sent to teach. I don't mean they were just sent, but were chosen based on their desire to teach and interviewed why they want to teach. Such Corpers should know what would be expected of them irrespective of the welfare package. Too much emphasis on entrepreneurship in camp. Not bad though. But we should also prepare Corpers and let them know if they are sent to schools, that it is an opportunity to impact the future.
2. We have 3 sets of corps members every year. Imagine what that could do for the education for these young students. I'd like the teaching program to be well planned. The commissioner of education in the respective state should plan with the board...or whatever...and let every goverment school give detailed outline of their needs. So that the prosper students would be sent to these schools.

3. I fully support the NYSC scheme to be primarily about teaching and community development.
Let there be a system that starts with students in SS1 through SS3. To fully prepare them for the O.level exams. To this effect, a generation may have to pass out from public school, so as to start fresh with new intakes.

3. These special teaching corps members should be given a proper welfare package and should be closely monitored with weakly or monthly appraisal.

4. Yes students who studied courses outside Educational courses can teach. Engineering students can teach further mathematics, physics, chemistry, technical drawing etc. So should be other career majors.

5. Corpers who would be inducted into this special teaching program should be properly interviewed. It is important that there is passion in them to deliver knowledge.

6. Teachers in public schools should stop seeing Corpers as threat or competition. We are here to serve with humility. Help us help the students. And Corpers shouldn't just see this process as a one year quick get out thing. It's a chance to rewrite the future of these youths.

I cannot exhaust myself with were it hurt me the most here but I'm open to discussion on this matter. NYSC scheme can go in a long way to start helping the educational system. It's open for debate. Through proper planning and special incentives we can achieve the impossible.

I'd like to say that Corpers are doing more good than harm to the educational sector. If we can get students to enter the tertiary institutions with good foundation, we can have better graduates. We don't want clones as graduates anymore. I did an HSE training after my NYSC and during the exam, folks were still spying and using the textbook given to us to boost their scores.lol. That's poor for a graduate.

Quickly, there 14 pillars that support education.
1. Students
2. Teachers
3. Parents/Guardians/casegivers
4. Administrators/Principals
5. Authors
6. Publishers
7. Design, rating and upgrading of centres of academic excellence
8. NGO's
9. Private sector
10. Public sector
11. Regulatory authorities
12. Media entertainment.
13. Curriculum developers
14. Researchers of teaching and learning techniques.

And may i just add for this purpose.
15. Corpers.

Let's not give up on Nigeria please. It is the whole process of meeting and solving problems that life has meaning. Problems are the cutting edge that distinguishes between success and failure. Problems call forth our courage and wisdom;indeed they create our courage and our wisdom. It's only because of problems that we grow mentally and spiritually. It is through the pain of confronting and resolving problems that we learn. Those things that hurt, instruct.

God bless Nigeria. God bless Corpers across the Nation. Sorry for the long post. I'd have loved to outline my points better but...just enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Blueboy0402: 9:13am On Dec 12, 2012
jamesbridget13: thats very correct, am a serving corp member now,studied mass communication n been asked 2 teach english, told d sch authority i cant take d oral aspect but they insisted i still handle d subject, i prefered social studies, crk or govt but i wasn't given. I ll like 2 point that most permanent staffs re not serious in d public schools.
I bit my finger and shook my head in dismay after reading your post. I'm ashamed of you. A graduate of mass communication indeed!!

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by jackydon(m): 9:19am On Dec 12, 2012
ferdimako:

You teach too?! Trouble dey oh.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
BIg Trouble
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by benzion72(m): 9:20am On Dec 12, 2012
To say a graduate will not be able to teach any courses in secondary school is saddening. Especially the guy that said he read Civil Engineering and will not be able to teach Civics which is a basic General Studies in Citizenship a GNS course in the higher institution. It shows the level of decadence in our Educational system. Teachers council assertion is also hasty generalization there are so many things that are wrong with our educational system from funding, to fake free education run by some government, to unseriousness on part of parent and students and many more
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Blueboy0402: 9:30am On Dec 12, 2012
berem: very true. how can someone who studied Electrical Electronics be told to teach Further Mathematics ? wetin im sabi? some corpers are not trained teachers too. I do support the teachers council.
The difference between a trained teacher and one who is not a trained teacher is the education course they did while in school.

Yes a graduate of Electrical Electronics didnt do any education course while in university but for goodness sake what stops him from teaching further mathematics? If the "graduate" claims not to know further mathematics then he is not worthy of the certificate he is carrying.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by tollywhistle(m): 9:44am On Dec 12, 2012
tpia1: An engineer with no knowledge of maths, should be an anomaly.
bro Ʊ are wrong there...... 'Should be an anomaly' is an understatement, IT IS AN ANOMALY
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by solomonkane(m): 10:16am On Dec 12, 2012
The quality of corp members we have is a reflection of the education system in Nigeria; badly educated, blissfully ignorant, half baked dunderheads and guess who taught them; teachers did. This assertion by the Teachers Council is a classic example of the baboon calling the gorilla ugly. If the teachers weren't so abysmal, there would be a reduced need for corpers. I taught in a school during my service year and I can say without fear of contradiction that a large percentage of teachers nationwide are just as useless as the corp members.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by blackmale1: 10:28am On Dec 12, 2012
berem: very true. how can someone who studied Electrical Electronics be told to teach Further Mathematics ? wetin im sabi? some corpers are not trained teachers too. I do support the teachers council.
i think say futhermaths na engineering somthin nah... some of this corpers can actually impact knowledge, i owe my waec maths to one of them.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Yujin(m): 10:40am On Dec 12, 2012
Not exactly my friend. Rather, any graduate Engineer who DOESN'T KNOW further maths is a fraud. One thing is to know another is to have the skills to impart it on others.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Lero15(m): 10:42am On Dec 12, 2012
They treat doctors & lawyers well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Long Does NYSC Online Redeployment Take / I Clocked 30 In July, Can I Still Make It To Nysc? / Delta State Let's Meet Here. A15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.