Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council - NYSC (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council (23343 Views)

7 Types Of Corper Teachers You'll Meet In A School / NYSC Members Cause Of Mass Examination Failure In Nigeria - Teachers Council / Is NYSC Batch B List Out In Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by jeak123(m): 11:28am On Dec 12, 2012
some Nigerians stay in the confines of their so called 'offices' to make stupid and unfounded statements. how can they think that the presence of corpers in schools is what is causing mass failures in schools when in actual fact, corpers are helping teachers do their job. if u take time to visit some schools, you'll marvel at the no of teachers that stay away from their jobs just becos corpers are posted to their school. for some one to now heap all the blame on corpers for mass failure is being unappreciative of what these young and women are doing for this country. i have heard that in some schools, principals cant do without corpers becos of shortage of teachers. corpers are supposed to compliment the efforts of the teachers and not take away their jobs. i think we should give these corpers some respect. if 1 or 2 of them cant perform, it doesn't mean that all of them cant perform. i remember way back in the secondary school, it was because of a corper that i took an interest in history. and after his service year, i dropped the subject becos the teacher who took over wasn't as good as the corper.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by 4nez(f): 11:51am On Dec 12, 2012
I concur, imagine a corper with computer science degree teaching fine art, abeg wetin fine art consign comp sci undecided, na failure be that...I support that motion.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by addey(m): 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
berem: very true. how can someone who studied Electrical Electronics be told to teach Further Mathematics ? wetin im sabi? some corpers are not trained teachers too. I do support the teachers council.

You may be correct in some area but saying an Electrical Engineer can't teach further Math shows that you don't know what are saying.

Cos Mathematics is the foundation of Engineering
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by addey(m): 12:19pm On Dec 12, 2012
The Man is saying nonsense I am an Electrical Engineer today through the help of a corper posted to my Village His name is Fasasi now in Ibadan poly.
He taught us mathematics and majority of us passed our WAEC and most of us are graduate today due to his effort.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 12, 2012
jamesbridget13: thats very correct, am a serving corp member now,studied mass communication n been asked 2 teach english, told d sch authority i cant take d oral aspect but they insisted i still handle d subject, i prefered social studies, crk or govt but i wasn't given. I ll like 2 point that most permanent staffs re not serious in d public schools.

pipz, how can sb dat studied mass comm nt know/handle oral English. Is oral English not fundamental in d art of mass communication?
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2012
I dont knw d situation now but when i was in sec sch, d corpers dat taught me English, accts, Geography, physics(who could forget Uncle Ewa) were wonderful. D point is dat many students in rural schools get to be taught some subjects thanks to youth service alone. So, if d govt doesnt want to do anything about lazy teachers, dey shouldnt blame d corpers for anything.afterall, half bread is better dan kuli-kuli

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by spymaster(m): 12:53pm On Dec 12, 2012
I studied chemical engineering but was asked to teach Sex education to female students in one girl's only school. I don't need any experience to suceed. The pass rate was 100percent For those complaining, maybe they were given the wrong course to teach. s
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 12, 2012
and u pay student 4k for teaching for a whole month or even smtimes nothing, and u want them to be motivated? hilarious
truth4meal: Don’t Post NYSC Members To Schools; They Cause Mass Failure- Teachers Council

The Teachers Council has said that the mass failure witnessed in various examinations for primary and secondary school students is partly caused by the youth corps members who are posted to teach without being qualified.

The Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria, TRCN, on Tuesday, said authorities of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, should stop deployment of corps members, who lack basic knowledge of teaching, to teach in schools.

The Director of Operations of the Council, Steve Nwokocha, made the declaration at the maiden induction/graduation of 118 Professional Diploma in Education graduates held at the Federal College of Education, Osiele, Abeokuta.

He said the deployment of unqualified teachers, like the youth corps members, contributed to the mass failure being witnessed in the country in recent years.

“The issue of having mass failure is a process. Part of the people contributing to the process are these corpers. It is an abuse to our profession,” he said.

“Government should stop posting youth corpers to teach in schools. We at the council are against posting of NYSC without teaching background to schools,” he added.

Mr. Nwokocha argued that only graduates of education should be posted to schools, saying the council was ready to rid the country of quack and fake teachers.

“What we are saying is that NYSC should make sure that only corps members who read education should be deployed to schools. Our council is against the deployment of graduates to schools,” he emphasised.

Majority of the hundreds of thousands of graduates who partake in the NYSC program annually are posted to schools to teach.

In a related development, Mr. Nwokocha disclosed that the council has established a Teachers Tribunal across all states in the country to deal with erring professional teachers.

He said the tribunal composition comprises of 5 members, including one from a University; one from a College of Education; and three nominated by Commissioners for Education, one of which must be a lawyer.

He stated that the Tribunal is working in conjunction with the Attorney General of the Federation, which further makes it legal and constitutional

Mr. Nwokocha stated that the body, being the Africa headquarters, enjoyed adequate recognition at the international scene. He said graduates of other disciplines must undergo the programme before they could be recognized as a qualified teacher.

He threatened that schools who failed to comply with the body’s directives could have their programmes de-registered.

The council leader said the council now directly receives the names of graduates from their respective institutions in order to ensure only qualified teachers are employed.

The Deputy Provost of the College of Education, Bolatito Adeniyi, who represented the Provost, said the programme was to formally initiate the fresh graduates into the teaching profession.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education and Technology, Ishola Ambali, advised the council on the need to publicise their activities regularly as it will serve as a medium to educate people.

Mr. Ambali, who represented the commissioner, also advised on need for the body to make it mandatory for government to ask for registration certificate obtained from the council before anyone is employed into the teaching service.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/110652-dont-post-nysc-members-to-schools-they-cause-mass-failure-teachers-council.html
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Originalsly: 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2012
Some people may have degrees and know their stufff very well but may not have the skill to teach or share their knowledge. I totally agree with the council and I hope those responsible for hmmm.....tossing the corpers into the classrooms open their eyes and see the disservice they are handing down to the corpers, the teachers, the students, parents and country.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
leki2: Arrgh!! I tried my best not comment on this thread, but just read through the comments. But I couldn't. I passed out from the scheme in october this year. I'd use myself as a case study.

I wanted to teach as a corper, but i was posted to PHCN because of my engineering degree. I wanted to teach to help students in their career. I was hungry for change. However, i had the opportunity of teaching our church folks preparing for Jamb. It was sweet.

Now, the problem is not many Corps members can teach. They can't teach not because they were not trained to teach but because they don't have enough believe in themselves that they are soaked with knowledge to deliver the future. Some corps members barely graduated. They graduated by dubious means. And if the government sends such a corps member to a school to teach, he'd lack what is necessary to teach because he is half -baked graduate. One can only give from what he has .
While there other circumstances where a Corps member is shy and can't even express himself or herself amongst friends. It will be even more difficult to teach students in a classroom. He or she would not be able to express himself/herself. There is much problem with this issue. It's not a light matter. Some Corps members have decided to be lazy. They have refused to brush up. Somethings we learnt, we may have forgotten but we need to go back and re-learn the basics again.

If these students in the secondary schools who would soon enter tertiary institutions are made to pass Waec and other exams through the help of their schools, without fully grasping the fundamentals in their foundation years, it will also come back to haunt us. Yes! Because they will be Corps members someday. There are so many problems with the educational system. so I sat down one day to meditate a possible solution to students in Public schools. And i came up with these possible solutions.

1. If for any reason, the NYSC scheme must continue, it has to be for this sole purpose. TEACHING.
I'd continue as i don't want this post to be too long.

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by StOla: 2:08pm On Dec 12, 2012
berem: very true. how can someone who studied Electrical Electronics be told to teach Further Mathematics ? wetin im sabi? some corpers are not trained teachers too. I do support the teachers council.

Any Engineering graduate, especially Elect/Elect Engr, would be the most suitable to teach such subject if a Mathematics graduate is unavailable. Reason being that the Elect/Elect grad studied further maths in Secondary School, it is mostly a prerequisite for university admission, it was further studied at the tertiary level, and also applied in the core engineering courses.
Being able to impart knowledge, and not the lack of it, is the real problem with having Corpers without education degrees teach in schools.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by aduje(m): 2:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
Teaching is a calling. It is not all those who know or are good in their disciplines that can transfer the knowledge successfully. Impact of knowledge should be considered. To a large extend, this observation is agreeable to me because not all graduates are teachers. It takes a teacher to be able to teach i.e. transfer knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by wizzymate(m): 3:50pm On Dec 12, 2012
How do you expect them to impart knowledge when majority of them only read to pass while in school. Also their welfare package is nothing to write home about. Its already mid-week and most of them have not being paid november allowance.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by anyaekekehinde(m): 3:58pm On Dec 12, 2012

berem you must be a crazy retard for making this statement. I'm 100% certain you are a terrible failure both at school and in life. Do u know Electrical engineering is purely application of advanced or further maths, physics and computer science
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by yahwehreigns: 4:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
Why blame corp members 4 d failure recorded. I bliv corp mem av benefited d educ sector mor positively dn otherwise.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by samilo88(m): 5:03pm On Dec 12, 2012
What does 'trained teachers' really mean?? I studied Petroleum engineering and am teaching physics and chemistry perfectly even d students testify to that. Does that mean I hav to go for anoda routine study b4 I can b certified as a teacher? Truth b told, if u ar good and u know what u spent ur years in higher institution doing u shouldn't hav problem teaching subjects at senior secondary school level. I can't say for junior classes cos they require some special kind of teaching methodology. The problem is that most graduates are olodos, imagine a graduate of industrial chemistry posted 2 my sch who can't teach chemistry because the subject is going to be a stress on him..let's forget abt al dis trained teacher's issue if u know it u ll teach it pretty well. To be a lecturer do u need to go to a college of education? Yet they taught us in sch..
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by samilo88(m): 5:21pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ogbonaikenna: Imagine a civil engineer teaching civic education. Is it design of indeterminate structures or retaining wall that i will teach them. Tomorow they will complain about quack engineers. Putting round peg in square hole. Mitchew. I laugh in agatu
I hope u ar laughing at ur pathetic state. A civil engineer and u can't read, understand and teach a simple jss subject. Shake my head for u. I wonder how u went through school. U ar just one of those half-baked graduates giving d nig education system a bad name..
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by crownbryan(m): 7:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
jamesbridget13: thats very correct, am a serving corp member now,studied mass communication n been asked 2 teach english, told d sch authority i cant take d oral aspect but they insisted i still handle d subject, i prefered social studies, crk or govt but i wasn't given. I ll like 2 point that most permanent staffs re not serious in d public schools.
why can't you teach english,as a communicator english is d major course as d syllabus also provided english for communicator's.(advance)
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 11:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
anyaekekehinde:

berem you must be a crazy retard for making this statement. I'm 100% certain you are a terrible failure both at school and in life. Do u know Electrical engineering is purely application of advanced or further maths, physics and computer science

N u av to be dis insultive because? Haven't u noticed dat oda ppl av reprimanded her enuf and u extended to calling her a failure. Learn to be mature biko
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Echepet(m): 11:32pm On Dec 12, 2012
My fellow nairalanders
the point is this, most teachers/lecturers in the education sector do not help matters at all,most of graduates this days are crammers n wot do u expect frm such a person
i read mech engr n taught math n fmath back in my service year,the student where amazed on how i took them.the secret of what i told them was,at my sec sch daes i realise dt it was nt just making d good grades bt also implementing it, i.e ability for me to link this knowledge together,and i concluded by saying...we need to read because we want to know nt jus to get d grades only.
Corpers are only complaining because they restricted them of working with private organizations.,bt the point is this guys use corpers and dump them without retaining them,they take in 10corpers in a sector like banks to fit in 2positns,n d salaries 4 ds positns r split into d 10 individuals n at the end none are being retained..evrybody goes back 2 square one....
Let us stop complaining and help matters in our own individual way,no matter the little u av added it goes a long way if you dont knw
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by kinguwem: 6:27am On Dec 13, 2012
Without the posting of corps members to schools, the situations could have been worse. The solution is simple. Before posting them to schools, an orientation workshop should be organized for them.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by phemi01(m): 7:38am On Dec 13, 2012
francis4real: imao God hv mercy on Nigeria teachers lazy set of people they now relied on corper now, corper do this, corper do that. the major thing is that every proprietor & proprietress now demand for corper from NYSE office to request for corpers, some refuses to employee teachers just to economis their payments cos they new corper will earn #5000 @ the end of the month.
ow

Are u a graduate? What do u mean by NYSE? U type it the way you pronounce it. Shame on you. U are one of the corps members they are referring to. Ur english is abysmal.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by dljbd1(m): 7:44am On Dec 13, 2012
Is it not the schools that go to NYSC to request for corpers What is this man saying! Abi if sch no request Government go force dm collect corpers

Anyways, me sha am enjoyin my service lyk ds, mak dm no come spoil am 4me. Dm fit start their reshuffling after I pass out! Studied Physics nd am teachin Physics, Further Maths, Intro Tech. Though am their 1st phys nd F/M teacher. D sch jst dy start SS classes(lucky me) and I dy try my best collecting 10k 4rm d private sch wt free accommodation. I dnt want any of ds taken away 4rm me 4 now!
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 13, 2012
phemi01:

Are u a graduate? What do u mean by NYSE? U type it the way you pronounce it. Shame on you. U are one of the corps members they are referring to. Ur english is abysmal.
so,ur only prob is d NYSE? Smh
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by nezpablo: 12:28pm On Dec 13, 2012
This issue is overflogged! The solution: let NYSC stop postin corpers to school. Then,let us do our evaluation aftermath. If mass failure do not abate or come to a halt,then corpers are to be blamed. But i doubt it that mass failure will nt continue unabated. I need to be proved wrong. We are nt d same,some can teach while some cannot. However,most corpers are better than d so call teachers. Am better than most of d teachers i met at d school i served. D sch has no ENGLISH,Accounting,Biology teaher prior to my postin and they have got no ENGLISH TEACHER after me. D principal cares nt abt d students. Yet,insuffient and daft teacher are there. I do nt think corpers are culprit.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by kiiababs: 2:12pm On Dec 13, 2012
Had tot abt dat,why make all d corpers teachers when there re actually those who studied dat as a profession? П̥̥̲̣̣Ơ͡t everyone can teach nah!
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by kiiababs: 2:21pm On Dec 13, 2012
dl_jbd: Is it not the schools that go to NYSC to request for corpers What is this man saying! Abi if sch no request Government go force dm collect corpers

Anyways, me sha am enjoyin my service lyk ds, mak dm no come spoil am 4me. Dm fit start their reshuffling after I pass out! Studied Physics nd am teachin Physics, Further Maths, Intro Tech. Though am their 1st phys nd F/M teacher. D sch jst dy start SS classes(lucky me) and I dy try my best collecting 10k 4rm d private sch wt free accommodation. I dnt want any of ds taken away 4rm me 4 now!
L☺l I dey feel u jareh!
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by muaa(f): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2012

Mass comm! And you cannot teach English? Na wa for u sha
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Nnabugwu8590: 9:32pm On Dec 19, 2012
That man is talking rubbish. I read elect elect,power and machine option, i served in Osun State as a basic technology teacher in jss2(240). From my research, i happened to b only corper that taught these students technical drawing,hw to plot a graph,construct the scale,calculate d slope and know that we two types of graph(linear and non-linear),this topic was under basic electricity,i taught them,ohm's law,its formular,three formulars of electric power and many more. I drew low tension pole,high tension pole and generation power station for them on the board with a simplified practical analysis,this is under power system. How many teachers under education that know that plate means metal,how many of them know the meaning of N,L,E in electrical terminal. What makes that to be professional. A basic technology teacher that can't identify a compass,a divider,a set square(angle 45 and angle 60/30) etc, is making noise. If not some good corpers posted in schools, i wonder what nigeria's secondary education will be like. When i came in newly in the school that i served, i was under supervision by HOD,but after a month,she stopped,because,i turned to a teacher to her as well. Once you spent 4/5/6 years in school, why can't you teach. That man criticizing corpers, is a sentimentalist, check his profile in education, he may have NCE as his most recent qualification. Let the man tell us his discharge number. No matter how many years of experience he has in teaching, i will use my one year teaching experience to beat him up in teaching.
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by Ujawissy: 12:08pm On Dec 21, 2012
Hope we get it right some day
Re: Corpers Cause Mass Failure In Schools - Teachers Council by bismaeel: 3:35pm On Jan 02, 2013
The fact is that, corpers can't bring failure and blame alone cos they ar assistance in other word helper to the school cumminity. I think if there is anybdy to blame, that should goes to government nt even the permanant teachers in their school. Why I said, since wen I posted in a sch @ a sleepy remote area of Itele-ijebu, nearly a yr nw I never any inspector either 4rm the Ministry o Zonal education dept. Thnks to ol corps members currently serving

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NYSC Refused To Approve My Concessional Deployment. Pls Help!!! / How Long Does NYSC Online Redeployment Take / Kazaure & Corpers Condole With Family Of Yusuf Bomoi, Late NYSC Director-General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.