Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Be careful with ATMs! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Be careful with ATMs! (2180 Views)

Banks Reduce Withdrawal Limits On Atms - Vanguard / How Many Will Be Able To Withdraw Money If Atms Did This (photo) / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2008
Stay away from Oceanic's bank ATM especially if you're not a customer.

Saturday, 26th of January 2008, sometime at night, I tried to withdraw from their ATM at Mega Plaza, V/I, I got confirmation that the transaction was successful but no cash was dispensed. Another guy around seeing me infuriated, trying to help me, attempted to use the ATM too - he entered for a much less amount than I did - but got had the same issue.

I quickly called a number I saw on an Ad poster by the bank. The staff who picked it up referred me to their head branch on Osumba Imbadiwe (or so spelt) and assured me I'd get my money back.

Monday, 28th of January, 2008, I went to their head branch to make my complain but was referred to my own bank (since I was not a customer of the bank) - apparently this is the official procedure. I went to my bank, made my complain, filled the necessary form and left.

Today, 15th of February, three (3) weeks later I checked that ATM card and noticed I had not been credited so I went to my bank again only to find out that they got a reply from Oceanic Bank that their ATM Log showed that cash was dispensed.

Infuriated I went back to Oceanic's headquarters only to get the same reply. I asked for a complaint form but was refused. I was told to go back to my bank and write the complain letter through them. Can you imagine these folks? They have my money and are sending me Lagos with silly excuses. How they get any awards with this kind of customer service and IT dept is beyond reasoning and logic.

I am going to write to my bank requesting to see this so called log and any further verification. I will also send a mail to my colleagues in the office (if not all the staff in my region) concerning the issue. I'm considering talking to a newspaper too if nothing is done in the next few days.

Guys to avoid all this trouble just use any other ATM and STAY AWAY from Oceanic bank's ATM unless perhaps you are a direct customer.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by A40(m): 2:17pm On Feb 15, 2008
Me i use strictly GTB or Intercontinental so i am good
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by buzzgonz(m): 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2008
A-40 plz tell me about GTBank, i want know more abt them esp. Saving account i reside abroad.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by brownsilk(f): 2:53pm On Feb 15, 2008
i think uba is worse, i regret ever opening an account with em but for oceanic?, i thought they won the best bank of the year 2007, beatin zenith and gtb, hmmmm, kinda new to me
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 2:57pm On Feb 15, 2008
So much for all the hype from the Awards, you cant trust anything in Nigeria no more.

Reality is far from the regular ads we see on TV and the awards that are suspiciously issued by Thisday.

Just be careful with them.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by buzzgonz(m): 3:03pm On Feb 15, 2008
Nigeria BANKS are Ponzi! shocked hmmmm
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by MyPeace(f): 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2008
@poster
abeg how much dey involved? no mind my question jare, l wan know grin tongue
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by buzzgonz(m): 3:11pm On Feb 15, 2008
Haba you sharp oh, even me sef wan know smiley
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by grabdbull: 3:13pm On Feb 15, 2008
The ATM issue is real and the Banks feel they do not owe Customers any apology. I was sent some money earlier in the week by a Customer who needed goods from my Company. I went to Diamond Bank and the ATM machine was unavailable, so I moved on to UBA to withdraw money from my Diamond bank account. Lo and Behold, na so N20k take hang. At UBA, I was asked to go to my Bank. This I promptly did and was told to wait for 24 hours after which I then filled a Complaint form. The very annoying thing is that I was informed the money might get back to my account within a week at the earliest if I am lucky.
What could I do with the customer than to look for N20k to add to his remaining funds and sent the goods to him.
I think this ATM thing is a scam, just like most other bank services these days.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by buzzgonz(m): 3:18pm On Feb 15, 2008
More alike Ponzi scheme! ATM CARD, [b] A[/b]lways [b]T[/b]rouble in [b]M[/b]oney! grin
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 3:26pm On Feb 15, 2008
Grabdull

Man mine too was 20k oh. It seems the best thing may be to avoid troublesome banks ATM.

Nigeria will never change with this kind of attitude from big name banks like Oceanic. So much promises, so little on delivery. Instead they steal your own money with their machines and lie about it.  angry

Meanwhile, what is CBN doing about this. It seems the only way to get these sort of Banks stop this evil activity is to publicise such issues.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by brownsilk(f): 3:38pm On Feb 15, 2008
i think somze is right, uba has not robbed me by ATM but by COT, all their stupid bank charges after withdrawal, i opened an account with them in 2004, they were still standard trust, then after they merged with uba, just a month after, i deposited some amount of money into my a/c, i went back there like a weeks time to withdraw money, only to find out that 50% of the money i paid in was missing,

the second was that, someone from Enugu paid in 50,000 into my a/c in january 2006, it didnt reflect, till date, the person is still goin to the bank to make all sort of clearance. he sued them, they are still goin to court till date, i thought the guy was jus makin up a story to try to convince me he paid in the money but he scanned the teller and sent to me, and the bank confirmed it that its a valid teller,cos it had their stamp on it,
\
such thieves, its an improoved way of robbin people off their money
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by brownsilk(f): 3:46pm On Feb 15, 2008
just last tuesday at onikan stadium when Dowen College had their inter house sport, uba appeared from nowhere to confuse the poor students about havin atms, and sure enough, all the students went home that day with an atm, i wondered if there was anything special about it, probably for student, so i called my kid sis who was also in queue for the atm to ask what it was all about, she said " they said its free, once u get an atm u can withdraw from any bank and they wont charge u for it, if u have an atm then u automatically have an account with uba with 0.00 naira" i was so furious that i went to one of the staffs to confirm and also confront her for lyin to the kids, guess what she said, " leave them, they are kids, they will show their parents and their parents will open accounts for them in uba" i felt like cryin for the kids,

and one thing i realized is that, after withdrawin wid ur ATM from another banks ATM machine, u get to pay 100 for the bank, and even more will be taken from ur a/c from uba for not usin their ATM.

can u imagine?
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 4:11pm On Feb 15, 2008
This is a much larger scandal than I had imagined . . .

What are the relevant institutions doing to check this fraud!
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 15, 2008
Diamond bank does the same thing
but I think, these banks program these ATM so that
non-customers can benefit from it.
At times, the internet could be responsible for that
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 15, 2008
Another problem is this, who is responsible for the regulatory
of this ATM problems?
ICPC, CBN or EFCC
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by chinnex(f): 5:23pm On Feb 15, 2008
wel, i had same problem with my bank (uba),though juz collected the Atm three weeks ago or a month, and they told me they hav linked meso i will start using it a week later which i did,so i try 2 withdrwl some money but gat some problem on the line, so i went inside cos i had my withdrawal book too,to my grestest surprise the money i was 2 withdraw wasnt up wat i had in my account(meanin my money has been deducted)can u imagine!!,so i went 2 d customer care 2 request 4 statement transaction but they told me dat their printer was havin a problem,so i left wit anger, was so pissed , so one have 2 be careful cos we dont where our money is safe.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by nateevs(m): 7:43pm On Feb 15, 2008
I have not used one personally. They got introduced after I left the country. . . my story is different though . . . I asked someone to withdraw money from my account on my behalf. The person tried to withdraw 60k . . . first 40 came through. . na so 20k hang. . the machine reported 60k withdrawn and immediately my GTB account was debited 60k.

I use GTB . . . after some query reports here and there. . I was told the money will be paid back. . after about a month or so. . lo and behold it was paid back. . the 20k was paid back. . I did not beleive such things will happen in Naija.

Anyways, now I don't know if it's an issue with the bank in question, the ATMs or with 20k and ATMs. There must be some kind of way to stop the nonsense . . a cash dipenser is meant to dispense and when it turns into a scam machine. . some regulatory body must step in. . . Na wa for naija oooooo,
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 11:02am On Feb 16, 2008
This is just crazy, you mean this scam existed before the advent of ATM? shocked

Banks meant to safeguard our finances are now the thieves. I wish I had a software bug too that steals money from my customers and display a fraudulent log that claims the customer has the money.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 6:14pm On Feb 16, 2008
Was talkin wit someone who says this fraud is done by whoever loads the atm machine as he's d one to report inconsistencies btw physical cash amount in atm and amount d atm log displays.
Any inconsistencies should be noticed @ dis point.
Oceanic bankers probably had no integrity n accountability training.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 16, 2008
chaii, what a scam o undecided hope all is well somze smiley
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by niyyie(m): 1:33am On Feb 17, 2008
Some Nairlanders have their own definition for ATM :- Automated Thieving Machines https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-68272.0.html
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by grabdbull: 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2008
The issue on ground now is - How do we stop this ugly trend from continuing unabated? Who do we escalate the matter to, and how do we get in touch with the regulators? If one's cash gets stuck in this evil cycle, it not only destabilizes you, but also can cause undue embarassment (cos U might start looking for loans from friends to meet up with commitments) or even loss of confidence from clients.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by dejacrue: 7:24pm On Feb 17, 2008
d same mega plaza oceanic bank atm debited me without dispensing cash 2 me.thank God it wasn't much.i've not been credited as at 2day.i'm also not a customer of d bank.i've made up my mind not 2 use a bank's atm card on another bank's machine 'cos they hardly resolve d issue or if at all it takes a long time.
imagine all dat happenin 2 different pple,all dat money will go 2 income straight.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 9:32pm On Feb 17, 2008
As we speak, I have planned out what exactly I will do.

All this is part of a publicity campaign to enlighten people of the danger.

I sent a strongly worded letter to Card Services department of my bank with a link to this thread in it requesting for the log of the transaction from Oceanic bank. On Monday from work I will forward the mail to Customer Service too as I ask for an update.

I have sent mails to my friends warning them of this issue and I have sent a mail also to my colleagues (in my department) too at work too. I will send to a broader team too at work as time progresses, until I send it to every staff in the organization.

I will then turn to the papers, If I am satisfied with the reaction. That is the only way to get management to investigate and probe this fraudulent activity (I doubt if top management actually knows about this fraud supposedly done by staff).

As you see it will be a gradual phased process. I will keep you guys up to date.

Wish me luck.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by brownsilk(f): 9:42am On Feb 18, 2008
somze, i strongly think you should also include UBA, the bank pisses me off these days, over the wekend i needed to pay for my medicals, as ill as i was, i went to uba atm to empty my account but to my greatest annoyance, there was no service, went to about 3 more that were around, but same story, i almost fainted at the spot cos i couldnt take it, i had to use intercontinental, where it worked and where 100 naira was deducted for each transaction i made, and uba too charging me for not using their ever-non-available-service- ATM. gosh, and to think i actually have a joint account with em, is so freaking annoying.

Pls include uba, all they know is to open branches here and there, no good customer services, o good service provider, they are jus no good at all,

for whatever it costs, I AM STRONGLY BEHIND YOU SOMZE, THIS CORPORATE FRAUD HAS GOT TO STOP NOW!!!
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2008
Brownsilk

It may be a bit harsh to include banks that I dont have sufficient information about.

I think you should meet your bank and complain about the issues you are having first of all. We must exhaust normal procedures first, just like I did I went through all the procedures and even took pains to go to each bank until I had reached a dead-end.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by grabdbull: 2:22pm On Feb 18, 2008
In addition my brother, join me in sending a complaint to C.B.N. ( I don't know how) as this might make some of these guys sit up.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by grabdbull: 3:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
I just got a text indicating that my account has been credited with the N20,000 that hooked initially. Am I happy about this? The answer is a definite NO. I am more relieved than happy, and strongly believe all these guys that provide services should be made accountable for their actions and inactions. Wouldn't it be nice to sue the pr, ks for inconvinience?
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by brownsilk(f): 3:19pm On Feb 18, 2008
i really dont have time to spend visitng banks to get complains and all that, but i do have a very good way of gettin what i want, hmmm, its time for me to make use of that, anyways, i have already spoken to a this day editor about it, she came to our office this morning to interview someone, and i joined, u can imagine how interested she was to hear all about it, AND i showed her a picture i took of uba s xmas decoration, (their headquaters) its says SEASONS GREETINGS TO YOU AFRICAS, Lord, how pathetic!
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 3:39pm On Feb 18, 2008
I was contacted by Oceanic Bank's customer care this morning, which was particularly nice and I have been contacted regularly by their team.

I talked to someone of authority that explained the ATM process to me, and assured me that NO request was sent by my Bank on this issue. I was also sent an email - by him - concerning the matter.

Contacting my Bank again, as a result of the development, they confirmed finally that Oceanic Bank's claims were in fact TRUE.

My bank explained that every transaction done over the weekend up to Monday is seen as a Monday's transaction as their software does not display dates. Apparently I had made other transactions on Monday or between the period and the staff supposedly on my issue picked out the wrong transaction and worked on it. Seeing that Cash was dispensed in that instance the case was probably closed. Unfortunately someone in the department forgot to notify me until I came back after three weeks. So I guess this error was from whoever was handling the case from my Bank, in the first instance.

My bank has now forwarded the actual transaction to Oceanic Bank and I trust the issue will be dealt with accordingly.

I encourage everyone that has an ATM Cash dispensing issue to send complaints to the Bank holding the account of the ATM and follow due procedure. You may also need to knuckle it in and ask a lot questions. If your bank has the same software with my bank and maybe the same staff in particular then my prayers are with you.

I want to thank Oceanic Bank for the patience they have exercised during this process. I recall the original message of this thread and will modify the Topic accordingly.

Thanks guys.
Re: Be careful with ATMs! by somze(f): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2008
brownsilk:

i really don't have time to spend visitng banks to get complains and all that, but i do have a very good way of gettin what i want, hmmm, its time for me to make use of that, anyways, i have already spoken to a this day editor about it, she came to our office this morning to interview someone, and i joined, u can imagine how interested she was to hear all about it, AND i showed her a picture i took of uba s xmas decoration, (their headquaters) its says SEASONS GREETINGS TO YOU AFRICAS, Lord, how pathetic!

The Newspaper should be the last point of contact not the first. Only after you have exhausted every procedure is this phase necessary. From my case you can see that the case was entirely different after it was well investigated. You may need to do some work to get answers, you'll be shocked to find out the reason for your predicament.

grabdbull:

I just got a text indicating that my account has been credited with the N20,000 that hooked initially. Am I happy about this? The answer is a definite NO. I am more relieved than happy, and strongly believe all these guys that provide services should be made accountable for their actions and inactions. Wouldn't it be nice to sue the pr, ks for inconvinience?

I'm happy to hear this. I think sometimes banks need a little push and publicity to do what they ought to do in the first place. Another thing I learnt from the guy I spoke with in Oceanic Bank is this cases take the maximum of a week to be resolved.

When it is not, from this experience, I can say that your bank should be at the receiving end of the finger pointing. When your Bank follows the appropriate steps, it is expected that the issue should be resolved.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Start A Filling Station Business / Payment Status Glossaries/terms You Need To Know As A Paypal User/owner / Get Paid On Our MTN Mobile Phone IMEI Number Tracking Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.