Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,165 members, 7,849,600 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:14 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (3546) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (11024757 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3543) (3544) (3545) (3546) (3547) (3548) (3549) ... (7801) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 10:35am On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:

The next stock dt wi do ccnn magic is champion BREWERY.
The informed are busy accumulating this equity now
After the current crash,the support will begin in 3rd Q

Why are you buying this stock? Can you explain so that I can see reasons to buy too?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by RealityShot: 11:04am On May 13, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

That was why he gave Dangote group a big loan when he first came on board as the chairman of Fidelity.
And how does that relate to results and share price movement of both?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elitestrategist: 11:12am On May 13, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

Why are you buying this stock? Can you explain so that I can see reasons to buy too?
Remember the turbulent faced by ccnn
It was trading below N10 few yrs back until the core and new investor turned around d company
Champion BREWERY core investor is a subsidiary of (Heineken group )the core investor in Nigeria BREWERY and champion stil have a valid contract brewing with NB
In 2016 ,there was a talk of merging with NB b4 the collapse,Recently the south african investors are showing strong interest in dz company,rmba international BREWERY was almost dead b4 it was turned around by SA investor.
The secret going round now is that there w be an imminent acquisition of champion BREWERY by one of the top BREWERY in the country.
When champion BREWERY was trading at N15 in 2015/16
stock analysts could not find the reason for d price,fast and forward d buhari meltdown of 2016 consumed the company and dz is a strong factor in favour of bargain hunting by foreign companies dt always look for distress company to revive and turn it around.
5 yrs back int.brewery neva attracted local investors even during d nig oil boom
Ccnn was d most distasteful for Nigerian in d cement sector
Watch out for the bargain hunting company dt w succeed in buying this world class modern BREWERY dt is yet to tap its full potential in the ongoing brewery war
NB vs Guinness
International BREWERY vs champion
Buy now and keep.....your N10000.00 in champion BREWERY wil worth Millions soon
When the most expensive is not affordable(NB,Guinness,international BREWERY) the available bcoms the affordable and dz wil imminently catapult the share price of champion BREWERY after d Livid have dump the gold as brass,the brass will b refined to gold again. In other word an in-depth research was conducted and i find out that the only quoted company listed on the exchange dt can do another ccnn is champion BREWERY
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dipoolowoo: 11:13am On May 13, 2018
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 11:23am On May 13, 2018
RealityShot:

And how does that relate to results and share price movement of both?

I just hope it will be better for Fidelity sha though Dangote Cement is doing very well.

Waiting for Fidelity conference call to listen and understand what is really happening...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elitestrategist: 11:34am On May 13, 2018
dipoolowoo:
Honeywell Identifies Key Areas to Boost Growth, Sustainability
https://www.businesspost.ng/2018/05/13/honeywell-identifies-key-areas-to-boost-growth-sustainability/

Diamond Bank Shares Shed 5% after Posting Dismal 2017 Results
https://www.businesspost.ng/2018/05/13/diamond-bank-shares-shed-5-after-posting-dismal-2017-results/

Time is the defining word for shares hunters.
In my view,based on assets of diamond bank , No tier 2 bank should be trading below N3
Some hunters are busy buying your dumps at d current price thinking d shares of diamond wil plumet to N0.8
A secret is being kept from individual investors by the core investors.
A game changer wi appear soon
If highly mismanaged banks like sky, sterling,key stone are stil in biz then i wonder while diamond will not attain N7 in dz current dispensation.
Pple are scared of bad result in the face of good fundamental and asset base and begin to dump potential ffuture money making stocks to foreign investors at a give away price.
Forget all d mathematical analysis of PEs on dz forum
Only few people saw d potential in ccnn when it was written off by all stock trading firm. Infact it never appeared on recommended lists of securities from 2000 till 2017.
Today,ccnn is a must buy.
Diamond is not in financial distress
The opportunity to buy is now
The price w definitely climb up no matter the speculation and ongoing dumping....buy it now or wait till it plummet to 85kobo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dipoolowoo: 11:58am On May 13, 2018
Good point you have raised there and my points here about Diamond Bank has always been that it is stock for the future. The time to buy is NOW when the price is falling and keep for the expected boom probably end of this year or 2019.

The truth about the stock market is that bad news is good news to others.

elitestrategist:

In my view,based on assets of diamond bank , No tier 2 bank should be trading below N3
Some hunters are busy buying your dumps at d current price thinking d shares of diamond wil plumet to N0.8
If highly mismanaged banks like sky, sterling,key stone are stil in biz then i wonder while diamond will not attain N7 in dz current dispensation.
Pple are scared of bad result in the face of good fundamental and asset base and begin to dump potential ffuture money making stocks to foreign investors at a give away price.
Only few people saw d potential in ccnn when it was written off by all stock trading firm. Infact it never appeared on recommended lists of securities from 2000 till 2017.
The price w definitely climb up no matter the speculation and ongoing dumping....buy it now or wait till it plummet to 85kobo

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:

Your own monkey hunting strategy na with power ooo grin

If you like package bad wine in new bottle, the difference will be in the taste.

I don't doubt that MM will help prevent a slide in price, but let them continue. We shall keep waiting.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elitestrategist: 12:29pm On May 13, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

Your own monkey hunting strategy na with power ooo grin

If you like package bad wine in new bottle, the difference will be in the taste.

I don't doubt that MM will help prevent a slide in price, but let them continue. We shall keep waiting.

Bad wine is a product.....you must have tasted it b4 concluding that the wine is bad or u must have heard from a source that the product is bad.
In which case a bad news is a good news for the foreign investors that wil mop up million of diamond shares in the coming days n months.
We Nigerians don't know how to evaluate bad news , we heard we act
We w neva asked what was behind the news ,we turned it into emotional speculation and discouraged others.
When access bank was trading at N4 ,STANBIC was busy mopping up for south african investors, today dy owns billions of access shares on behalf of SA investors.
The dividend repatriated by STANBIC for SA investors can neva be realised in that country.
Same tin w happen to mtn when it finally sees the light
The only way out is for government of Nigeria to enact a law that no foreign investors from d same country should hold more than 5 million units in any quoted company on d nig boss. And if the stock is available and there is no local bidders? Govt should mop up and pay for the stock in a holding portfolio and finally disposed for local when they r ready to bid
The advantage of dz of dz is that price manipulation and insider trading wil be less frequent

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 12:59pm On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:

Remember the turbulent faced by ccnn
It was trading below N10 few yrs back until the core and new investor turned around d company
Champion BREWERY core investor is a subsidiary of (Heineken group )the core investor in Nigeria BREWERY and champion stil have a valid contract brewing with NB
In 2016 ,there was a talk of merging with NB b4 the collapse,Recently the south african investors are showing strong interest in dz company,rmba international BREWERY was almost dead b4 it was turned around by SA investor.
The secret going round now is that there w be an imminent acquisition of champion BREWERY by one of the top BREWERY in the country.
When champion BREWERY was trading at N15 in 2015/16
stock analysts could not find the reason for d price,fast and forward d buhari meltdown of 2016 consumed the company and dz is a strong factor in favour of bargain hunting by foreign companies dt always look for distress company to revive and turn it around.
5 yrs back int.brewery neva attracted local investors even during d nig oil boom
Ccnn was d most distasteful for Nigerian in d cement sector
Watch out for the bargain hunting company dt w succeed in buying this world class modern BREWERY dt is yet to tap its full potential in the ongoing brewery war
NB vs Guinness
International BREWERY vs champion
Buy now and keep.....your N10000.00 in champion BREWERY wil worth Millions soon
When the most expensive is not affordable(NB,Guinness,international BREWERY) the available bcoms the affordable and dz wil imminently catapult the share price of champion BREWERY after d Livid have dump the gold as brass,the brass will b refined to gold again. In other word an in-depth research was conducted and i find out that the only quoted company listed on the exchange dt can do another ccnn is champion BREWERY

I truly appreciate ur insight my dear.
As a matter of fact, Champion breweries use to be a part of our portfolio before now.
Things changed when certain susceptible red flags started showing themselves in their result.
Until Q3 2017 when there was a 25% growth in sales, a 57% Increment in net profit and an approx 58% and 73% boost in gross profit and operating profit, things seemed to be turning around for them. ...especially on a QoQ basis.
But fastward to just 3 months from then and what u'll see is apparently a struggling coy.

Lets try and breakdown a few Nos:
For YE 2017;
Profits were down amid an alarming rising cost.
Red flags;
- A jump in admin expense which grew by a whooping 157% gulping nearly 80% of earnings realised.
- Expectedly, profit for the said period also droped.
- Between, there was also an increment in dist expense rising by over 30% YoY.
In fact there was a decrease accross all key indicators save for revenue which grew by 24%.

However with Q1 2018, they seem to be turning the tide one small with a 70% YoY rise in profit occasioned by an approx 9.5% reduction in CoS and a 2% growth in revenue.
But then again the key red flag from their expense line which has historically eaten into earnings accruals still persist with a near 56% jump in Sales and dist expense.

My Inference: The company is struggling to drive up their earnings. ...the reason there has been inconsistencies accross key indices. It's clear that there's an issue with cost optimization and the needed drive for innovation ...they seriously need to work on these 2 areas, particularly the former. ...for without a clear positive path on those 2, earnings will likely continue to trail the current inconsistent path. (the Chairman of the coy, Dr. Elijah Akpan did infact confess to their weakness on the line of innovation in his keynote address).
Save for the recent re-introduction of Champ Malta (one of the 2 of their product line), earnings would've been worse off. ...but even then, production and sales volume still continue to suffer.
They seem to be overwhelmed by the competition from the key players in the brewery segment.
Their contract of supplies and packaging with NB hasn't brought in much of the anticipated return either. ...so far, impact from that line hasn't been felt a bit.
However, if the expected take over or merger with Heineken/NB pulls thru (I've also heard something in that regard), then there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. The current equity structure of Champion breweries is a plus 'to make things happen' in that regard.
...minority shareholders holds only about 12.21% while the balance of 87.79% are with the core investors. Raysun Nig, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heineken international BV which owns a 57% stake might just be the required 'tool'.

Fundamentally, I have a 1.40k Fair Value for Champion brewery based on Q1. ...which presents an approx 55% premium to FV from Friday's close of 2.18k. ...so the stock is currently overvalued from my end.
However I agree that there can be some future value creation if indeed a few things play out.
...It's in our radar.

Disclosure: I currently do not own an iota of share in Champion brewery.
Note also that this shouldn't be interpreted as any sort of recommendation.
My Verdict: Follow ur instinct.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Chibuking81(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2018
Stock respond to news, whether good or bad.
Diamond bank result is very poor, it will affect their price tomorrow.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Chibuking81(m): 1:13pm On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:

I beg to disagree with you on PE, because PE is an outcome of current price/ earning. That is the key to determine whether stocks is performing or not.

I do agree with you that Diamond bank has future potential, so also other stocks. But they didn't perform well in their 2017 FY, q2 will determine whether they will survive it this year.

But Nigeria been it what it's, some stock will report good q2 and 3, only to report bad result at q4, leaving their investors empty handed. SEC should carefully look into this issues.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IchimokuPilot: 1:16pm On May 13, 2018
dipoolowoo:
Good point you have raised there and my points here about Diamond Bank has always been that it is stock for the future. The time to buy is NOW when the price is falling and keep for the expected boom probably end of this year or 2019.

The truth about the stock market is that bad news is good news to others.

Sir, do you sincerely believe that a very bad/accident prone driver is better off with a brand new car?
I mean many things, but top on this list is this: Don't you think this younger Dozies is not just playing with figures and enjoying himself?
I deeply feel he has already written down the audited results for FY18 and has even decided on how long it will be overdue before he will present it.... grin
I believe he takes good care of all his obstacles in advance.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IchimokuPilot: 1:28pm On May 13, 2018
Sir Dipo, next time Dozies unleashes this kind of nuclear missile on our exchange, do this: look for a picture of one of those shareholders you decsribed during Wema AGM and snap, Photoshop her on a hospital bed with two drips running simultaneously.
Do a headline that goes thus: ' Diamond bank bombs shareholder with negative results that landed her in ICU after years of dividend default'..... grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elitestrategist: 1:53pm On May 13, 2018
onegentleguy:

I truly appreciate ur input my dear.
As a matter of fact, Champion breweries use to be a part of our portfolio before now.
Things changed when certain susceptible red flags started showing themselves in their result.
Until Q3 2017 when there was a 25% growth in sales, a 57% Increment in net profit and an approx 58% and 73% boost in gross profit and operating profit, things seemed to be turning around for them. ...especially on a QoQ basis.
But fastward to just 3 months down the line and what u'll see is apparently a struggling coy.

Lets try and breakdown a few Nos:
For YE 2017;
Profits were down amid an alarming rising cost.
Red flags;
- A jump in admin expense which grew a whooping 157% gulping nearly 80% of earnings realised.
- Expectedly, profit for the said period also droped.
- Between, there was also an increment in dist expense rising by over 30% YoY.
In fact there was a decrease accross all key indicators safe for revenue which grew by 24%.

However with Q1 2018, they seem to be turning the tide one small with a 70% YoY rise in profit occasioned by an approx 9.5% reduction in CoS and 2% growth in revenue.
But then again the key red flag from their expense line which has historically eaten into earnings accruals still persist with a near 56% jump in Sales and dist expense.

My Inference: The company is struggling to drive up their earnings. ...the reason there has been inconsistencies accross key indices. It's clear that there's an issue with cost optimization and the needed drive for innovation ...they seriously need to work on these 2 areas, particularly the former. ...and without a clear positive path for those 2, earnings will likely continue to trail the current inconsistent path. (the Chairman of the coy, Dr. Elijah Akpan did infact confess to their weakness in the line of innovation in his keynote address).
But for the recent re-introduction of Champ Malta (one of the 2 of their product line), earnings would've been worse off. ...and even then, production and sales volume continues to suffer.
They seem to be overwhelmed by the competition from the key players in the brewery segment.
Their contract of supplies and packaging with NB hasn't brought in much of the anticipated return either. ...so far, impact from that line hasn't been felt a bit.
However, if the expected take over or merger with Heineken/NB pulls thru (I've also heard something in that regard), then there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. The current equity structure of Champion breweries is a plus 'to make things happen' in that regard.
...minority shareholders holds about 12.21% while the balance of 87.79% are with the core investors. Raysun Nig, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heineken international BV which owns a 57% stake might just be the required 'tool'.

Fundamentally, I have a 1.40k Fair Value for Champion brewery based on Q1. ...which presents an approx 55% premium to FV from Friday's close of 2.18k.
However I agree that there can be some future value creation if indeed a few things play out.
...It's in our radar.

Disclosure: I currently do not own an iota of share in Champion brewery.
Note also that this shouldn't be interpreted as any sort of recommendation.
My Verdict: Follow ur instinct.
Your practical n verifiable analysis is commendable
In addition to your optimistic view,champion BREWERY is yet to suffer the turbulent period dt ccnn went tru
The important factor dt w favour champion BREWERY is the state of their facility which wil imminently attract the SA investors dt r currently mopping up the shares at dz current price
You w witness the ccnn turn around in champion b once the bargain hunters increase their holding to 95% tru different holding foreign companies. Dz w soon b a case study in d analysis of Nigeria stocks
CCNN and Champion BREWERY.
I am not over optimistic rather a lesson learnt
When ccnn was trading at N8 for many yrs and the indices kept showing red flag in all parameters
First...it was speculated dt dangote w take over
Fast and forward d rabiu family mopped up bilions of the shares at a gv away dumping prices
Today many investors are crying wolf's
Had i known ?i would have invested N1m at N7
i w keep accumulating champion brewery until i own a million unit .
When d SA investors take over key mgt area there w be a reversal of fortune.
Watch out...let the dumping of champion BREWERY continues......
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by pluto09(m): 2:04pm On May 13, 2018
IchimokuPilot:
Sir Dipo, next time Dozies unleashes this kind of nuclear missile on our exchange, do this: look for a picture of one of those shareholders you decsribed during Wema AGM and snap, Photoshop her on a hospital bed with two drips running simultaneously.
Do a headline that goes thus: ' Diamond bank bombs shareholder with negative results that landed her in ICU after years of dividend default'..... grin

Diamond has been disappointing investors since KOD time grin
The talks about better future did not start today.
Those who want to live on hope can continue to buy into the bank.

As for me ,I will only buy diamond if the price is right just to play some kalokalo on the NSE.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 2:05pm On May 13, 2018
All these long long posts you people are copying, dia ris God o. angry

You can use @moniker now e.g. @dwizeone , @rationalmind or something like that tongue grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elitestrategist: 2:20pm On May 13, 2018
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc: Strategies hold long term payoffs
By Adie Vanessa Offiong | Publish Date: Jul 20 2015 7[color=#006600][/color]
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc is one of Nigeria’s oldest companies, with principal activities including the production and marketing of cement under the brand name Sokoto Cement. The Company produces CEM II type cement, with a market area primarily covering six states of the North-West Zone namely: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Katsina, Kano, and Kaduna. Founded by the Premier of the then Northern Region, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, Sardauna of Sokoto, CCNN Plc was incorporated in 1962 and commenced production in 1967 with an initial installed capacity of 100,000 tons per annum at its Kalambaina plant. Today Sokoto Cement has a rated output in the region of 750,000 tons per annum.
Between 1992 till 2000, the government (military and then civilian) divested its holdings in Sokoto Cement, from 20% in 1992 under the Babangida administration to full Privatization in 2000, under the Obasanjo government. Notably, in 2010, commodities, steel and construction conglomerate BUA International Limited acquired 50.72 percent of equity shareholding to become the majority shareholder in CCNN Plc, as well as its technical partner, thus positioning Sokoto Cement well within the sustained fulfillment of its strategic mission “to produce and market high quality cement for national development.”
Other disclosed shareholders are Nasdal Bap Nigeria Limited with 11.48 percent of equity, Polunin Capital Partners Limited (0.10%) as well as Afribank of Nigeria Plc, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc and Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.
Management
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc’s board of directors as at the period under review comprises Dr. Abdulsamad Rabiu, Mr Alf Karlsen, Mr Trond Waerp, Mr Yusuf Binji, Mr Ibrahim Aminu, Mr Finn Arnoldsen, Mr Tajudeen Dantata, Ms Aishatu Gwandu, Mr Chimaobi Madukwe, Mr Kabiru Rabiu, Mr Musa Suleiman, Mr Faruk Umar, Mr Muhammad Zauro, and Mr. Ahmed Aliyu, who is Acting Company Secretary.
Financing Structure
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc’s authorized share capital stood at 628,338,885million ordinary shares, with a then price per share of 11.74 kobo worth N7.4 billion in the 2014 financial year. Its Annual General Meeting is scheduled to hold 13 August 2015, therefore Sokoto Cement is announcing a dividend payout of N0.35kobo per share, a yield of 3.04%, resulting in a Return of Average Equity of 21.64%. This dividend payout is nevertheless a drop, compared to earnings per share of 70kobo in FY2013. Investment research firm Meristem Securities has disclosed that the lesser dividend may be due to the need for CCNN Plc to retain a larger part of its earnings as part of contributions to fund its proposed USD300m cement plant expansion, which will see a modernisation of its facilities and increase its output by 200% to 1.5 million metric tonnes of cement annually.
Fixed assets of Sokoto Cement rose to N8.4 billion or 17.95 percent in 2014, from N7.1 billion in the 2013 financial year. Its current assets showed a slight reduction, moving from N7.9 billion in 2013 to N7.4 billion in 2014, this presents a drop of about N500 million, or 6.9 percent.
Profitability
Cement Company of Nigeria Plc’s revenue went down by about N668 million in 2014 to N15.119 billion from N15.787 billion in 2013, representing a decrease of 1.25 per cent.
This was due to lower cement sales recorded in Q4:2014, largely as a result of the heightened crisis in the northern region, as well as lower cement demand in Nigeria during the period.
The company compensated for this tapered top line via cost cutting strategies, as Cost of Sales dropped from N10.77 billion in 2013, to N9.98 billion in 2014. This is a reduction of N790 million, or 7.2 percent.
CCNN Plc’s bottom line was also helped by the fact that its production and operating expenses also declined to N2.40 billion in 2014 from N2.77 billion in 2013, representing a drop of N370 million, or 13.56 percent.
CCNN Plc made N5.13 billion gross profit in the review period of 2014, which was some N630 million, or 13.2 percent over the N4.53 billion made as gross profit in the preceding accounting period. It also recorded a profit before tax of N2.477 billion in 2014, up 17.61% from profits of N2.106 billion in 2013.
Profit after tax stood at N1.918 billion, a 23.05 percent increase from profits before tax of N1.559 billion in the 2013 financial year. Analysts have placed a “Hold” recommendation on this stock, which means Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc is expected to perform with the market, or at the same pace as comparable companies in its area of business.
Liquidity
Current ratio has improved. In 2013 it was 1:0.9 meaning the current assets of Sokoto Cement could only take care of liabilities, but would have little left. However, in 2014 the current ratio is 2:0.9, which means the company will only need to utilise about half its current assets to offset its current liabilities, if the need arises. Business from its chief shareholder the BUA Group Ltd (which is building a greenfield cement plant in Okpella, Edo State that will be supplied with cement clinker from CCNN Plc), as well as CCNN Plc’s upgrade of its power plants and its ongoing cost management processes are expected to further boost bottom-line growth for the cement manufacturer. Ms Adetutu Adegbayibi, an Investment Research Analyst at Meristem Securities forecasts a FY2015 Profit After Tax of N1.94 billion, 1.93 percent higher than 2014.
Score Card
Provided the current upgrading of its facilities continue apace, Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc should reap significant returns, which should shore up revenue figures. This is because its net income increased; the consolidated statements show the company made 12.69% of its revenue as net income, a marked increase from 10.18% in the previous financial year of 2013, despite also spending N1.79 billion on investing activities in 2014.
Also, ahead of its August AGM, Sokoto Cement’s shareholders are expected to be receiving a dividend of N0.35 kobo per share in 2014, compared to N7.00 kobo per share in 2013, as earlier noted. This proposed dividend represents a 50 per cent increase versus the dividends paid in 2013. The dividend also represents 22.93 percent of earnings per share versus 56.42 percent in the 2013 financial year.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by elitestrategist: 2:25pm On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc is one of Nigeria’s oldest companies, with principal activities including the production and marketing of cement under the brand name Sokoto Cement. The Company produces CEM II type cement, with a market area primarily covering six states of the North-West Zone namely: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Katsina, Kano, and Kaduna. Founded by the Premier of the then Northern Region, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, Sardauna of Sokoto, CCNN Plc was incorporated in 1962 and commenced production in 1967 with an initial installed capacity of 100,000 tons per annum at its Kalambaina plant. Today Sokoto Cement has a rated output in the region of 750,000 tons per annum.
Between 1992 till 2000, the government (military and then civilian) divested its holdings in Sokoto Cement, from 20% in 1992 under the Babangida administration to full Privatization in 2000, under the Obasanjo government. Notably, in 2010, commodities, steel and construction conglomerate BUA International Limited acquired 50.72 percent of equity shareholding to become the majority shareholder in CCNN Plc, as well as its technical partner, thus positioning Sokoto Cement well within the sustained fulfillment of its strategic mission “to produce and market high quality cement for national development.”
Other disclosed shareholders are Nasdal Bap Nigeria Limited with 11.48 percent of equity, Polunin Capital Partners Limited (0.10%) as well as Afribank of Nigeria Plc, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc and Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.
Management
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc’s board of directors as at the period under review comprises Dr. Abdulsamad Rabiu, Mr Alf Karlsen, Mr Trond Waerp, Mr Yusuf Binji, Mr Ibrahim Aminu, Mr Finn Arnoldsen, Mr Tajudeen Dantata, Ms Aishatu Gwandu, Mr Chimaobi Madukwe, Mr Kabiru Rabiu, Mr Musa Suleiman, Mr Faruk Umar, Mr Muhammad Zauro, and Mr. Ahmed Aliyu, who is Acting Company Secretary.
Financing Structure
Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc’s authorized share capital stood at 628,338,885million ordinary shares, with a then price per share of 11.74 kobo worth N7.4 billion in the 2014 financial year. Its Annual General Meeting is scheduled to hold 13 August 2015, therefore Sokoto Cement is announcing a dividend payout of N0.35kobo per share, a yield of 3.04%, resulting in a Return of Average Equity of 21.64%. This dividend payout is nevertheless a drop, compared to earnings per share of 70kobo in FY2013. Investment research firm Meristem Securities has disclosed that the lesser dividend may be due to the need for CCNN Plc to retain a larger part of its earnings as part of contributions to fund its proposed USD300m cement plant expansion, which will see a modernisation of its facilities and increase its output by 200% to 1.5 million metric tonnes of cement annually.
Fixed assets of Sokoto Cement rose to N8.4 billion or 17.95 percent in 2014, from N7.1 billion in the 2013 financial year. Its current assets showed a slight reduction, moving from N7.9 billion in 2013 to N7.4 billion in 2014, this presents a drop of about N500 million, or 6.9 percent.
Profitability
Cement Company of Nigeria Plc’s revenue went down by about N668 million in 2014 to N15.119 billion from N15.787 billion in 2013, representing a decrease of 1.25 per cent.
This was due to lower cement sales recorded in Q4:2014, largely as a result of the heightened crisis in the northern region, as well as lower cement demand in Nigeria during the period.
The company compensated for this tapered top line via cost cutting strategies, as Cost of Sales dropped from N10.77 billion in 2013, to N9.98 billion in 2014. This is a reduction of N790 million, or 7.2 percent.
CCNN Plc’s bottom line was also helped by the fact that its production and operating expenses also declined to N2.40 billion in 2014 from N2.77 billion in 2013, representing a drop of N370 million, or 13.56 percent.
CCNN Plc made N5.13 billion gross profit in the review period of 2014, which was some N630 million, or 13.2 percent over the N4.53 billion made as gross profit in the preceding accounting period. It also recorded a profit before tax of N2.477 billion in 2014, up 17.61% from profits of N2.106 billion in 2013.
Profit after tax stood at N1.918 billion, a 23.05 percent increase from profits before tax of N1.559 billion in the 2013 financial year. Analysts have placed a “Hold” recommendation on this stock, which means Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc is expected to perform with the market, or at the same pace as comparable companies in its area of business.
Liquidity
Current ratio has improved. In 2013 it was 1:0.9 meaning the current assets of Sokoto Cement could only take care of liabilities, but would have little left. However, in 2014 the current ratio is 2:0.9, which means the company will only need to utilise about half its current assets to offset its current liabilities, if the need arises. Business from its chief shareholder the BUA Group Ltd (which is building a greenfield cement plant in Okpella, Edo State that will be supplied with cement clinker from CCNN Plc), as well as CCNN Plc’s upgrade of its power plants and its ongoing cost management processes are expected to further boost bottom-line growth for the cement manufacturer. Ms Adetutu Adegbayibi, an Investment Research Analyst at Meristem Securities forecasts a FY2015 Profit After Tax of N1.94 billion, 1.93 percent higher than 2014.
Score Card
Provided the current upgrading of its facilities continue apace, Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc should reap significant returns, which should shore up revenue figures. This is because its net income increased; the consolidated statements show the company made 12.69% of its revenue as net income, a marked increase from 10.18% in the previous financial year of 2013, despite also spending N1.79 billion on investing activities in 2014.
Also, ahead of its August AGM, Sokoto Cement’s shareholders are expected to be receiving a dividend of N0.35 kobo per share in 2014, compared to N7.00 kobo per share in 2013, as earlier noted. This proposed dividend represents a 50 per cent increase versus the dividends paid in 2013. The dividend also represents 22.93 percent of earnings per share versus 56.42 percent in the 2013 financial year.

Dz is the fate awaiting champion BREWERY
Either Nig bre or int. Brew or gnez take over dz company dz yr ....then d share price w jump to 15
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by pluto09(m): 2:31pm On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:
Management
Financing Structure
Profitability
Liquidity
Score Card

I don't think this is the best time to buy CCNN. Price is approaching fair value.
The only attraction at the current price is the plan to bring into operations a new line that will double production.
Been waiting since last year for the commissioning of the new production line.It might be that they are close to opening the line and that might be the reason for the recent surge in price.
One needs to tread with caution here so as not to carry the can.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Revibe: 3:08pm On May 13, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

I have investigated this company in the past, after their major brewery got burnt they havent been able to recover. I dont think they can match up with their contemporaries in the market. Before the disaster the share was trading at #11,but its good for JIJO if you know what u r doing.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IchimokuPilot: 3:10pm On May 13, 2018
pluto09:

I don't think this is the best time to buy CCNN. Price is approaching fair value.
The only attraction at the current price is the plan to bring into operations a new line that will double production.
Been waiting since last year for the commissioning of the new production line.It might be that they are close to opening the line and that might be the reason for the recent surge in price.
One needs to tread with caution here so as not to carry the can.

And this stock many times in the past held unto illiquidity trophy as if illiquidity is used in producing cement. grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 3:12pm On May 13, 2018
elitestrategist:

What is he saying please
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by arduino: 3:15pm On May 13, 2018
IchimokuPilot:

And this stock many times in the past held unto illiquidity trophy as if illiquidity is used in producing cement. grin
Lol!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IchimokuPilot: 3:17pm On May 13, 2018
Agbalowomeri:
What is he saying please

He is saying a miracle is needed to rescue Diamond after that epileptically leprous concoctions they brought out instead of results.. grin

Remember today is a day of sermons and epistles ..... grin

Be patient.... grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 13, 2018
Mcy56:
All these long long posts you people are copying, dia ris God o. angry

You can use @moniker now e.g. @dwizeone , @rationalmind or something like that tongue grin

grin

No problem with the long quotes as long as whoever quotes types something beneficial to us all.

What can be annoying is when people quote a long post just to drop a smiley grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 4:04pm On May 13, 2018
rationalmind:

grin No problem with the long quotes as long as whoever quotes types something beneficial to us all.
What can be annoying is when people quote a long post just to drop a smiley grin
Lol. You do know that one happens too. It used to be annoying really. undecided
Thanks for laughing off my mention of you. This Mcy can look for someone's trouble sometimes. grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 13, 2018
Mcy56:

Lol. You do know that one happens too. It used to be annoying really. undecided
Thanks for laughing off my mention of you. This Mcy can look for someone's trouble sometimes. grin

When your portfolio is green, you can laugh anything off grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IchimokuPilot: 4:15pm On May 13, 2018
rationalmind:

grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 13, 2018
rationalmind:

And when a portfolio is in red,see the face below:

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Chibuking81(m): 5:15pm On May 13, 2018
Pls can someone recommend 5 stock to buy for this new week for profit making
And 5 stock to sell due to danger around. Also those that will witness profit taking.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 13, 2018
locodemy:

And when a portfolio is in red,see the face below:
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (3543) (3544) (3545) (3546) (3547) (3548) (3549) ... (7801) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chillykelly86(m), phemmie06(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.