Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (511) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10881477 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) ... (7752) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
UNLEASHED:

I can't sense a real advice from a sarcasm, like I said before I'm an absolute novice dealing with stocks and a dormant trader at that, well thank you if it's a genuine advice but if it's not, you shouldn't have replied at all

What if he meant well? Is it not better you assume the best or at least go learn how to decipher real advice instead of casting aspersion on another? To give advice these days sef dey fear person. lolz

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by duni04(m): 6:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:

Where is Pa Ewumi when you need him? Bros, sorry ooo as regards the bolded... Can you wait for 7 more years?
grin
ROTFLMAO!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by UNLEASHED(m): 6:37pm On Nov 03, 2014
kotlass:

What if he meant well? Is it not better you assume the best or at least go learn how to decipher real advice instead of casting aspersion on another? To give advice these days sef dey fear person. lolz

Casting aspersion? Are you being serious mate?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:
I really do not understand this "paper loss" thing. The Ogbeni bought FBNH at N33 about 7 years ago. It is below N12 now. When will it be a loss? If he asked when it was N28, or last November when FBNH was N17, or last Sept when it was N15, I am sure you would have said the same thing. I do not see the capitalisation of FBNH at N1 trillion anytime soon, so chances he will get back his N33 per share will not be anytime soon (assuming the bonus and dividends will be counted as profit over the 7 year period). Honestly, I am not being sarcastic, I just want to understand this school of thought that believes you have not lost till you sell. It negates the idea of stop losses, and allows a small loss to grow into a huge one.

Bro, it's a huge loss already but could there be a better time to sell? Are there better alternatives? The stock market is a cycle. Why sell in a trough considering that he is a looooooong termer? This is not a general rule though but I'm of the opinion that the school of thought I subscribe to in his case holds a better solution.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:
I really do not understand this "paper loss" thing. The Ogbeni bought FBNH at N33 about 7 years ago. It is below N12 now. When will it be a loss? If he asked when it was N28, or last November when FBNH was N17, or last Sept when it was N15, I am sure you would have said the same thing. I do not see the capitalisation of FBNH at N1 trillion anytime soon, so chances he will get back his N33 per share will not be anytime soon (assuming the bonus and dividends will be counted as profit over the 7 year period). Honestly, I am not being sarcastic, I just want to understand this school of thought that believes you have not lost till you sell. It negates the idea of stop losses, and allows a small loss to grow into a huge one.

Bros I bought gtb at 33 sometimes in 2008, it came all the down to 13 or thereabout but I did not sell until it came up to around 30 this year. With all the bonus and dividend, I still got out at handsome profit. If I sold at 13, then I would have made losses

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 03, 2014
UNLEASHED:

Casting aspersion? Are you being serious mate?

Sorry bro. My bad. "Distrusting" fits better. wink wink
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 6:49pm On Nov 03, 2014
Agbalowomeri:
Bros I bought gtb at 33 sometimes in 2008, it came all the down to 13 or thereabout but I did not sell until it came up to around 30 this year. With all the bonus and dividend, I still got out at handsome profit. If I sold at 13, then I would have made losses
Good example Sir. With a 10% stop loss, you would have sold at N30. If you are then able to get back in at 14, 15 or even 20, when the retracement started your handsome profit, would have been much more handsome with all the bonus and dividend to wit. I am not asking anyone to sell, hold or buy. I just want to learn more about this paper loss mentality.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 6:50pm On Nov 03, 2014
Those wey dey ban me because I dey express my love to Mercy in this hard times, una well done o

#PW
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 6:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
Agbalowomeri:
Those wey dey ban me because I dey express my love to Mercy in this hard times, una well done o
#PW
Chai, dis PW guy eye don see ooo! Abeg Mr Mod come and answer your fathers name ooo!

#MrKnowitall
#davide470
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 6:57pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:
Good example Sir. With a 10% stop loss, you would have sold at N30. If you are then able to get back in at 14, 15 or even 20, when the retracement started your handsome profit, would have been much more handsome with all the bonus and dividend to wit. I am not asking anyone to sell, hold or buy. I just want to learn more about this paper loss mentality.

So bros in 2007/8 who could have confidently say gtb would be back at 14? The point is your strategy holds for a trader. I trade sometimes but that is not a comfortable zone for me. For example I did some kalokalo in oando and transcorp. After harvesting my loot, I looked for a stock where could I empty my loot and sleep well at night even if the price crash. Of course, part of my consideration was a stock that would be difficult to crash. So I chose one stock and empty my portfolio into it gradually. Even as the price is going down I am not shaken because I know huge dividend awaits.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:

Concerning this mentality/ideology, if you consider that there are short term investors (your own case is chronic though grin grin) and long term investors it will help better. Some long term investors probably look at quotes seasonally. Chronic ones come back after 7yrs (na joke o grin). I remember the dude who bought NB many years back at about N3x. He just bumped into the forum and asked about the price of the stock. I just hope to God that he didn't lose his mind when the value of his holding was calculated. He has not visited since then. Anyone remember this guy?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stockbull(m): 7:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
Stock market is like other businesses,you need to know what to buy,the most favourable price to buy it and the quality of what you want to buy.if you've bought stocks and you're on a loss.bail out during the market noise and ensure your loss is minimized.stock investment once created can not be destroyed unless the company goes under.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Moneysage: 7:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
@oga mi PW: Biko what's "market noise"? Kindly paste any web link that has that phrase.

#I like to learn from co-elders
#grabs dictionary

@currentprice: are you for real? You mean you did that? Like seriously

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Elai147: 7:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:

Remember it was an IPO where you can't even sell without dematerialising your share certificate let alone using stop loss.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 7:38pm On Nov 03, 2014
Agbalowomeri:

So bros in 2007/8 who could have confidently say gtb would be back at 14? The point is your strategy holds for a trader. I trade sometimes but that is not a comfortable zone for me. For example I did some kalokalo in oando and transcorp. After harvesting my loot, I looked for a stock where could I empty my loot and sleep well at night even if the price crash. Of course, part of my consideration was a stock that would be difficult to crash. So I chose one stock and empty my portfolio into it gradually. Even as the price is going down I am not shaken because I know huge dividend awaits.
Sir, any stock can return to car park oo. We should ALWAYS remember that past performance is No guarantee of future results. I see your point though. Diff strokes for diff folks. Respect.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 7:40pm On Nov 03, 2014
kotlass:
Concerning this mentality/ideology, if you consider that there are short term investors (your own case is chronic though grin grin) and long term investors it will help better. Some long term investors probably look at quotes seasonally. Chronic ones come back after 7yrs (na joke o grin). I remember the dude who bought NB many years back at about N3x. He just bumped into the forum and asked about the price of the stock. I just hope to God that he didn't lose his mind when the value of his holding was calculated. He has not visited since then. Anyone remember this guy?
Bros, we are making money this year. Faster rate things abeg. Watch out!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Elai147: 7:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
UNLEASHED:

I can't sense a real advice from a sarcasm, like I said before I'm an absolute novice dealing with stocks and a dormant trader at that, well thank you if it's a genuine advice but if it's not, you shouldn't have replied at all

It was not sarcasm. @Carpenter actually meant well and gave you a good advice.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by davide470(m): 7:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:

Chai, dis PW guy eye don see ooo! Abeg Mr Mod come and answer your fathers name ooo!

#MrKnowitall
#davide470
No be that one dey do us now o. Minus everywhere is not inducing smiles at all!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 7:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
Moneysage:
@oga mi PW: Biko what's "market noise"? Kindly paste any web link that has that phrase.
#I like to learn from co-elders
#grabs dictionary
@currentprice: are you for real? You mean you did that? Like seriously
grin grin grin
The sage, na im be wetin dey happen to Cutix at the minute grin (just kidding o, see link)
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/noise.asp
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ogbs2020love: 7:50pm On Nov 03, 2014
kotlass:

I know I bought NB @ 33. and I've no commented on this forum in a while!
passwelle:

I know I bought NB @ 33. and I've no commented on this forum in a while!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Charlesnerd: 8:10pm On Nov 03, 2014
Dividend and long term investors are currently being pushed into a "spiral of silence" by day traders - a classic case of "tyranny of the majority" .

When the bears are biting hard,day traders remind you of how good it is to be good at JIJO. When the bulls go on rampage,long term investors remind you of how they resisted the urge to sell at a loss when everyone was dumping. grin

Reading from the bosses on NSEMPA who have actively been in this business longer than myself,I think its important that any investor should have a healthy mix of all three :

- A long term portfolio of consistent dividend paying stock (s). This is your cash cow that keeps you going,even in a market downturn.
- A short term portfolio of stock (s) that can give a good return within a short period of time. Any profit made from here (JIJO things) would be used to fortify your long term portfolio.
- A healthy reserve of cash invested in TBs or other high yield fixed instruments.These positions can be liquidated and used for equity purchases during a market downturn as is the case presently. If the market rebounds, some equities could be sold off to enhance your liquidity position ,while the residual equities could be moved to your long term portfolio.

In this way one can hedge against risks and maintain a healthy,profitable portfolio.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 8:55pm On Nov 03, 2014
Thank you everyone. I now know why people hold on to positions with capital losses. Loss aversion things (Daniel Kahneman) wink.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
passwelle:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
ogbs2020love:
I know I bought NB @ 33. and I've no commented on this forum in a while!I know I bought NB @ 33. and I've no commented on this forum in a while!

oh oh, lolz and you just happened to comment after I referenced it? cheesy cheesy You must hold a permanent seat on the board of "guest mode" viewers (pls just laugh it off). But this your sabbatical get as he be o....you just disappear like that. Hope you are back for good. I remember you wella. grin grin

Actually, I didn't have you in mind bro. This guy didn't frequent NSEMPA. He will probably come back in his search for another fortune.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Elai147: 10:22pm On Nov 03, 2014
Charlesnerd:

- A long term portfolio of consistent dividend paying stock (s). This is your cash cow that keeps you going,even in a market downturn.
- A short term portfolio of stock (s) that can give a good return within a short period of time. Any profit made from here (JIJO things) would be used to fortify your long term portfolio.
- A healthy reserve of cash invested in TBs or other high yield fixed instruments.These positions can be liquidated and used for equity purchases during a market downturn as is the case presently. If the market rebounds, some equities could be sold off to enhance your liquidity position ,while the residual equities could be moved to your long term portfolio.

In this way one can hedge against risks and maintain a healthy,profitable portfolio.

Gbam! Adding real estate will blend everything and make it a complete investment portfolio.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by soloniger(m): 10:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
Agbalowomeri:

they want you to sell to they now and buy higher later from them
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by passwelle: 11:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
soloniger:
they want you to sell to they now and buy higher later from them
Here we go again, our fellow Nigerians with their conspiracy theories shocked Two weeks ago it was that some folks here "were spreading panic alarm across investors with the aim of crashing the system in order for them to start buying at 50k" angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by jp130(m): 11:16pm On Nov 03, 2014
plz i need help here. am with morgan capital acct openi form nw. on it i see acct no, acct name, bla bla. wat do dey need it for? also i already av a chn, hop i cn still use it n fill it in d form? lastly, i have not colect d new voters card, cn i use d old one cos i no get any oda prove to use.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by MilikiAgent: 11:28pm On Nov 03, 2014
jp130:
plz i need help here. am with morgan capital acct openi form nw. on it i see acct no, acct name, bla bla. wat do dey need it for? also i already av a chn, hop i cn still use it n fill it in d form? lastly, i have not colect d new voters card, cn i use d old one cos i no get any oda prove to use.
They need to have a bank account on file for you, so they can remit your funds to you via bank transfers instead of cheques. If you are moving that account with the existing CHN from your current brokers, yes you can use it. Otherwise, I think you will get a new CHN. National id card, international passport, drivers license etc can also be used.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by omosuji(m): 6:52am On Nov 04, 2014
dailyindependentnig.com/2014/11/top-ten-brokers-trade-n1-5tr-shares/

(1) (2) (3) ... (508) (509) (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) ... (7752) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.