Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (5880) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10881766 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5877) (5878) (5879) (5880) (5881) (5882) (5883) ... (7752) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 18, 2020
CashDiMkpa:

So you now see that the odds were against you winning that trade on Friday and spending that 20k this weekend. Your day scalping or day trade set up failed cos once it does not perform in minutes or intra day it has failed. Scalping may appear like taking random positions but it requires statistical modeling.

Again it's not all stocks that you can successfully do day trading on. FBNH will be a difficult set up cos of its character. You may still win with it but just be aware any day trade or scalping win here is pure luck. Enjoy.

grin smiley

You are right, chances were low.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DUNKA(m): 10:50am On Jul 18, 2020
GonFreecss1:

Africa Prudential (Afriprud)
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DUNKA(m): 10:51am On Jul 18, 2020
Good day House,

SFS REIT or UPDC REIT which has more value in the long term for an investor?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by IYGEAL(m): 11:28am On Jul 18, 2020
phoinix:

Given that the list traded volume in the last 24 trading days is 4 million units, my small 105k will likely be filled if price gets to 5.2 .

Regarding SEPLAT and FCMB, are you serious? Do you need experience to know that 1.9 is much smaller than 347?

grin

It kind of shocked you when you checked. I have a problem with the fact that you had to check. grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 18, 2020
IYGEAL:

grin

It kind of shocked you when you checked. I have a problem with the fact that you had to check. grin

grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by veecovee: 3:54pm On Jul 18, 2020
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DrAwo(m): 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2020
If you bought Zenith bank on 01/01/2010 using N100,000 and reinvested all dividends received to buy more zenith bank shares on 01/04 each year, how much would your investment be worth as at 01/04/2020?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by talk2me2: 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2020
DrAwo:
If you bought Zenith bank on 01/01/2010 using N100,000 and reinvested all dividends received to buy more zenith bank shares on 01/04 each year, how much would your investment be worth as at 01/04/2020?
this makes the wohle effort look like a waste of time. N100,000 in 2010 was more valuable than N338,354 today.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DrAwo(m): 8:03pm On Jul 18, 2020
talk2me2:
this makes the wohle effort look like a waste of time. N100,000 in 2010 was more valuable than N338,354 today.
Could as well have been worth much more than that but for the depressed share price in 2020...
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by bakila: 8:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
DrAwo:

Could as well have been worth much more than that but for the depressed share price in 2020...
The money could have been spent on something else of depreciating value that may have consumed 300000.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by CashDiMkpa: 10:02pm On Jul 18, 2020
talk2me2:

That's why holding any stock for ever mindlessly does not make sense. Once the market prices your stock higher than your valuation, why hold on to it? You can sell and buy back later.

Imagine those that sold Zenith at close to N40/share in early 2018 and buying back now. Compare them to those taking N2.50k profit every year since then. Who is better off?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megawealth01: 10:21pm On Jul 18, 2020
grin
CashDiMkpa:

That's why holding any stock for ever mindlessly does not make sense. Once the market prices your stock higher than your valuation, why hold on to it? You can sell and buy back later.

Imagine those that sold Zenith at close to N40/share in early 2018 and buying back now. Compare them to those taking N2.50k profit every year since then. Who is better off?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by talk2me2: 10:41pm On Jul 18, 2020
CashDiMkpa:

exactly
I believe in taking your profit when you see it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Justcul(m): 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2020
CashDiMkpa:

The bolded very correct!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sincerelymine: 12:29am On Jul 19, 2020
CashDiMkpa:

How do you know if your stock is over-valued? When it gives over 100% capital appreciation?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by wableo: 7:28am On Jul 19, 2020
Please I am totally new to shares. Where should I start from. I wish to start from 50 to 100k. Too small or too big.

Can I make profit in a year or 2? Which companies have low risks and higher returns. I downloaded Wealth.ng, I dont need a stockbroker anymore?

So many questions to ask but let me start from somewhere.

Sorry I forget to great...I hail you na

Mind you I am not afraid to take risks. No risks less success.

Thanks all
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by zimams: 8:45am On Jul 19, 2020
This just brings it home.

Just found out in the past week that I hold 27,000 units of Wema Bank Shares which I bought sometime btwn 2007 and 2008 at N9/share. And I bought Zenith around that same time for N48.05/share, and Japaul at N3.25. Luckily I jumped out of zenith at a loss in 2009. But held on to Wema and Japaul.

Found an Old CSCS statement in my files last week that showed these. Called the stock broking firm I used then, asked for an updated CSCS statement and Alas... the shares were still there..

I felt sick to my stomach. I thought I sold everything then .. when the bubble bursted.

So my Japulian brothers & sisters! I dey inside that bus o! with a terrible entry point.... cheesy

On a serious a note I wonder if it's really worth it long term... I wish to read some success stories around our NSE. My experience and few others I've read including @Dr.Awo's post isn't encouraging. Short to medium term JIJO suddenly seems like a good idea before weevils decimate person hard earned money.

CashDiMkpa:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by zimams: 8:51am On Jul 19, 2020
One way will be the compare the current dividend yield with its 5yr average dividend yield. if the current dividend yield is below the 5 year average then it's time to sell. (Its likely over priced).

sincerelymine:

How do you know if your stock is over-valued? When it gives over 100% capital appreciation?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by zimams: 8:55am On Jul 19, 2020
This is certainly looking attractive grin

talk2me2:
exactly
I believe in taking your profit when you see it

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by talk2me2: 10:54am On Jul 19, 2020
zimams:

Just found out in the past week that I hold 27,000 units of Wema Bank Shares which I bought sometime btwn 2007 and 2008 at N9/share. And I bought Zenith around that same time for N48.05/share, and Japaul at N3.25. Luckily I jumped out of zenith at a loss in 2009. But held on to Wema and Japaul.

Found an Old CSCS statement in my files last week that showed these. Called the stock broking firm I used then, asked for an updated CSCS statement and Alas... the shares were still there..

I felt sick to my stomach. I thought I sold everything then .. when the bubble bursted.

So my Japulian brothers & sisters! I dey inside that bus o! with a terrible entry point.... cheesy

On a serious a note I wonder if it's really worth it long term... I wish to read some success stories around our NSE. My experience and few others I've read including @Dr.Awo's post isn't encouraging. Short to medium term JIJO suddenly seems like a good idea before weevils decimate person hard earned money.

The problem is not about Dr.Awo's post. Infact I really appreciate his effort takes his time to do those research/analysis and posting them here.

The problem really is that the stock market (especially in an economy like that of nigeria under the current leadership where the currency is devalued at random) on the average does not favour long term investors except of course one controlling intrest (enough intrest to be called to the board of the company).

If the data of a very good company like Zenith bank can be like that in the long term, how about the nse average or the poorly performing companies?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by CashDiMkpa: 11:17am On Jul 19, 2020
sincerelymine:

This is entirely up to you and how you want to play in the market.

Before you buy a stock you must have done your valuation to know if its over priced at current price level. Assume you valued "Stock A" at N5 in January 2020 but it was trading at N8 and you considered that price too high and decide to wait. Eventually, in March 2020 the market prices it at N3.50 and to you the fundamental are still the same. You buy at N3.50 and suddenly in May 2020 the market decides that the price is now N6.00. You look at the fundamentals again and its still okay and your valuation sheet shows the stock should still not be worth more than N5.00.

What will you do?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by zimams: 11:31am On Jul 19, 2020
I agree with you absolutely. My post wasnt to diminish the value of Dr.Awo's post. He does excellent analysis for us here which I'm am very grateful for.

My point is that his analysis on Zenith bank stock performance over the past 10yrs just laid bare an inconvenient truth about our NSE which some of us may not have arrived at on our own. Which is a good thing.... because ignorance cannot be bliss in this circumstance. Investments are either underperforming or completely lost in some cases.
Dr.Awo's post is actually an eye opener.

talk2me2:
The problem is not about Dr.Awo's post. Infact I really appreciate his effort takes his time to do those research/analysis and posting them here.

The problem really is that the stock market (especially in an economy like that of nigeria under the current leadership where the currency is devalued at random) on the average does not favour long term investors except of course one controlling intrest (enough intrest to be called to the board of the company).

If the data of a very good company like Zenith bank can be like that in the long term, how about the nse average or the poorly performing companies?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BullBearMkt(m): 1:27pm On Jul 19, 2020
DrAwo:
Wao! 10 Years of investment added just only 238k+! However, to determine if this is a good investment or not, we actually need to benchmark it with the ASI and inflation. Does it worth the risk? Uhhmmm...
grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by rebekah2011(m): 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2020
I will sell and keep the cash to reinvest back later if I do not see other stocks of value.
CashDiMkpa:

This is entirely up to you and how you want to play in the market.

Before you buy a stock you must have done your valuation to know if its over priced at current price level. Assume you valued "Stock A" at N5 in January 2020 but it was trading at N8 and you considered that price too high and decide to wait. Eventually, in March 2020 the market prices it at N3.50 and to you the fundamental are still the same. You buy at N3.50 and suddenly in May 2020 the market decides that the price is now N6.00. You look at the fundamentals again and its still okay and your valuation sheet shows the stock should still not be worth more than N5.00.

What will you do?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BullBearMkt(m): 1:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
CashDiMkpa:

mind boggling question there.
grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by rahjan: 2:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
In 10 years, if you sold into every bull market and bought into every bear market and compounded 50% of your dividend since then, I'm sure you'd be better off on the NSE even the NSE.
Problem has always been buying when we should be selling and selling when we should be buying and compounding the problem with buying crap (loss making, no dividend coys)

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Deadlytruth(m): 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2020
CashDiMkpa:

Couldn't have been better said. This market is unpredictable so it is better one plays it by the moment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 19, 2020
zimams:

You planted and you forgot about it. You don't know that there is time for harvest.

Easier saying JIJO is the best. The problem with JIJO is that you don't know the time you will buy the top of the trend (whether short term, medium or long) and you will be falling with that trend

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BullBearMkt(m): 3:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
Deadlytruth:

Couldn't have been better said. This market is unpredictable so it is better one plays it by the moment.
...One thing that has worked very well for me is monitoring market breadth (or otherwise called market sentiments). When the market breadth is "good", then it's time to buy - both short & medium term. However, other factors needed to be considered depending if you are looking for growth or steady returns on your investment. These include, but not limited to finding momentum in your stock...
grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
talk2me2:

There is a time for everything. A time to rise and a time to fall. When it is time to rise, even if there economy is in shambles, it will keep rising.

In 2016, oil was down to $27, Nigeria was in recession, yet the stock market rose till 2018.

Like 2018 to 2019 ending, even with banks churning out better fundamentals than previous years and paying good dividends, it kept falling.

And this was the same leadership manning the ship.

We have eyes but we don't see. We hardly invest in rigorous research to understand the 'why' of things.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BullBearMkt(m): 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
RabbiDoracle:

There is a time for everything. A time to rise and a time to fall. When it is time to rise, even if there economy is in shambles, it will keep rising.

In 2016, oil was down to $27, Nigeria was in recession, yet the stock market rise till 2018.

Like 2018 to 2019 ending, even with banks churning out better fundamentals than previous years and paying good dividends, it kept falling.

And this was the same leadership manning the ship.

We have eyes but we don't see. We hardly invest in rigorous research to understand the 'why' of things.
Gbam! You said it all!
grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5877) (5878) (5879) (5880) (5881) (5882) (5883) ... (7752) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chillykelly86(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.