Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story (9170 Views)

Ex-minister “threatens” Nigerian Journalist Over Report / 2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / Policemen Molest Female Journalist Over Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 9:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
manny4life: Look, I'm so done with this argument, be it as it may... it is what it is...

I repect ur opinion no doubt and i enjoyed our discussion. i didnt see it as arguments sha. At least i learnt about persons of interest sha grin grin
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by fistonme(m): 9:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
taharqa:

And if the said neigbour was not even in town then Or if it was your kid Sister that heard such 'unconfirmed' just like that while chatting with fiends on 'togo' Or what if it was your aged grandmother who is suffering from ig blood pressure/Hypetension that heard the news....

Do you know why in saner climes, journalists or even Govt agencies cant name a Dead person (confirmed) if their immediate family members have not been intimated already? Do you know why the State Dept and Media houses in the US refused to name 2 of 4 persons killed in the Bengazi Embassy attack for about a day till they intimated their family members Or why CNN was taken to the 'cleaners' for divulging personal details from the diary of the slain ambassador even after he had been named?.....

Those are SANER climes..Punch should be grateful that they operate in Nigeria, else their azz would have since been served with a lawsuit so BIG they would even need to borrow money to pay off..

The issue in question is not about SANITY or INSANITY(thats another discourse entirely). If it were to be my kid sister in a distant land who came accross such a story,seeing the word 'unconfirmed' tied to the caption and without first picking up her phone to call my Dads line to speak to him(or any member of the family or friends who would be close to him at the time) and 'confirm' the story but instead immediately starts crying on reading the story(declaring it to be comfirmed without putting into effect the word UNCONFIRMED on the caption), i would strongly advise my Dad to stop paying are school fees peradventure she is schooling where ever she was at the time and tell her to come home Because that is a proof that she is not being developed intellectually and in learning by schooling. Same for my grandma. Though i would pardon her if she is well striken in age, yet i believe she should naturally be thrown aback coming accross such news in the first instance but what makes the difference is the extra effort she takes in verifying if it is true or false hence a moment of relief that comes with her knowing it is falsehood in totallity. Please the Benghazi issue does not fit into the issue at hand. I would rather see the reason for that as a means for the security agencies and their staff to quickly cover up their lapses because they know that immediately it is let out to the public without cooking the story to save their as* they would end up taking the fall since the americans are curious and ask questions(which may prompt an immediate investigation). This is already seen in he american polity. Susan rice being the latest pawn to be cut down. In all with reading comes a duty. A duty to check and balance whatever you have red before digetsing.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem:

I repect ur opinion no doubt and i enjoyed our discussion. i didnt see it as arguments sha. At least i learnt about persons of interest sha grin grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_interest

"Person of interest" is a phrase used by law enforcement when announcing the name of someone involved in acriminal investigation who has not been arrested or formally accused of a crime The phrase was adopted by the media and widely disseminated, thus most law enforcement agencies have picked up the term. It has no legal meaning, but it is a "catchy" term. "Law enforcement officials say that[b] the term simply reflects the new tactics required to fight terrorism[/b]. But some legal scholars say officials are trying to create a more benign public image, even as their power expands."[1] While terms such as suspect, target, and material witness have clear and sometimes formal definitions, person of interest remains undefined by the U.S. Department of Justice.[2] It is often used as a euphemism for suspect, and can sometimes result in a trial by media.

According to the New York Times,

the term has an ugly history; in the 1960s American law enforcement officials began creating secret dossiers on Vietnam War protesters, civil rights leaders and other persons of interest . … The vaguely sinister term has been applied to targets of terrorism investigations, the chief suspect in the murder of the Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy and Steven J. Hatfill, the scientist who has figured prominently in the investigation into the 2001 anthrax attacks. … Attorney General John Ashcroft is often credited with popularizing the person-of-interest label, having used it [in 2002] to describe Dr. Hatfill.[1]

hmmm . .

i no fit talk again - who knew that the fellow in question is terrorist suspect?

manny for pr officer of the gestapo, stasi, nkvd, and all other state run organisations for the intimidation of persons of interest
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 10:09pm On Dec 19, 2012
^^^^

Wonderful cheesy cheesy
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by ocelot2006(m): 10:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Demdem: Foolish and incompetent SSS.
It would have been better to devote that time spent in the journalist's house to search for the marked notes given to facrook which they still havent seen till date.

Nothing stops the SSS from putting a lid on the spread of false stories. I say kudos to them.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by fistonme(m): 10:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
taharqa:

And if the said neigbour was not even in town then Or if it was your kid Sister that heard such 'unconfirmed' just like that while chatting with fiends on 'togo' Or what if it was your aged grandmother who is suffering from ig blood pressure/Hypetension that heard the news....

Do you know why in saner climes, journalists or even Govt agencies cant name a Dead person (confirmed) if their immediate family members have not been intimated already? Do you know why the State Dept and Media houses in the US refused to name 2 of 4 persons killed in the Bengazi Embassy attack for about a day till they intimated their family members Or why CNN was taken to the 'cleaners' for divulging personal details from the diary of the slain ambassador even after he had been named?.....

Those are SANER climes..Punch should be grateful that they operate in Nigeria, else their azz would have since been served with a lawsuit so BIG they would even need to borrow money to pay off..

with more regards to the last paragraph of your state ment above, these are two different cadre of individuals one has a public appointment(chime in this case) and the other a political/private appointment(the ambassador and retired navy seals guards from a private seurity firms). It is a well known fact that the day you accept a public appointment(say a governor) you become stripped of a better part of your privacy(like celebrities). Hence there is deregulation to an extent in matters concerning you as opposed to those concerning political and private figures. Please dont tell me in america even on CNN, there are not cases of BREAKING NEWS reporting the death of a public/influential figure seconds immediately they are informed by their source(even before the prior knowledge of the berieved family).
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 10:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
ocelot2006:

Nothing stops the SSS from putting a lid on the spread of false stories. I say kudos to them.

what false report? did it originate from this journalist in question? his earlier report wasnt false.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 12:19am On Dec 20, 2012
oyb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_interest

hmmm . .

i no fit talk again - who knew that the fellow in question is terrorist suspect?

manny for pr officer of the gestapo, stasi, nkvd, and all other state run organisations for the intimidation of persons of interest

LOL.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

[size=16pt]Dude, THANK YOU FOR EXPANDING MY DEFINITION, I FEEL DAMN SPECIAL NOW. ALTHOUGH, WHERE YOU GOT TERROR SUSPECT, I DON'T KNOW shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked [/size]

"Person of interest" is a phrase used by law enforcement when announcing the name of someone involved in a criminal investigation [size=20pt]who has not been arrested or formally accused of a crime[/size] The phrase was adopted by the media and widely disseminated, thus most law enforcement agencies have picked up the term.

[size=20pt]Therefore, going by that definition... I still have it on good authority on what I told Demdem, the journalist is a person of interest... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by manny4life(m): 12:29am On Dec 20, 2012
Demdem:

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed our discussion. As you can see, it's good how you learned something new... Like I previously stated in my prior post "which you quoted", persons of interest are not criminals... Well since your brother posted a more definition, though I don't trust wiki, I'm sure that expands my own definition. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Egelife(m): 12:46am On Dec 20, 2012
oyb: Are people actually defending thuggery because of oga saint hitler mustache?

Na wa o

So the best we can get is," they are chime's private thugs, so its no big deal"

SMH
at least this present government is civilized and supports freedom of speech (he was only deprived of working as at that moment cos the story of the governor's demise still got out), compare these with its erstwhile. 1. The journalist was detained by SSS (a government body). 2.from his story,None of them touched him violently 3. His gadgets were returned to him. Pls If u happen to know the State before nw you will knw better. If it were his predecesor he wouldn't grant this interview (that is if he happens to b alive), the state thugs(touts) would have kidnapped him, physically abuse him, in summary no journalist had ever dared the previous government of Enugu
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Ikwikwikwi(m): 5:53am On Dec 20, 2012
You deserve more than you got. How can you be so wicked by writing such a report. Can you publish your obituary? God will keep our dear Governor to live beyond you.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by vanbonattel: 6:27am On Dec 20, 2012
Ikwikwikwi: You deserve more than you got. How can you be so wicked by writing such a report. Can you publish your obituary? God will keep our dear Governor to live beyond you.

Thats why I like the former governor, by now the journalist will be so traumatized that he will never send a false alarm in his life again.

"ITS BETTER TO BE FEARED THAN TO BE RESPECTED". - Niccolo Machiavelli.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Chomzy19(f): 6:33am On Dec 20, 2012
Demdem:

How do u know the story isnt real? what does he get to gain just to fabricate such? has he been untruthful before now?
what does he gain by fabricating stories of his death? N ooh yes he has bn very much untruthful before now
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Chomzy19(f): 6:38am On Dec 20, 2012
Demdem:

what false report? did it originate from this journalist in question? his earlier report wasnt false.
d false report of his death n yes it originated from him, he is lucky he is not bein sued for defamation
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by Demdem(m): 7:36am On Dec 20, 2012
Chomzy19: what does he gain by fabricating stories of his death?

refer me to such a report that emanated from this journalist about Chime's death. bet u me, such does not exist.

N ooh yes he has bn very much untruthful before now

Kindly be specific. which report exactly. ur response is vague.

Chomzy19: d false report of his death n yes it originated from him, he is lucky he is not bein sued for defamation

U obviously dont know what u are talking about. His earlier report on Chime was that he is sick not his death. Go back and read please.
Re: SSS Detained Journalist Over Chime's Death Story by luiskhan92: 11:33am On Oct 02, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atiku's Source Of Wealth Revealed... Mohammed Fawehinmi / Witness Tells Court How El-rufai Allocated Land To Himself, Family And Companies / ACN To GEJ: Apologize For Misleading Nigerians On Anti-corruption Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.