Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues (31851 Views)

Why Believers Should Leave Atheists Alone / Why Believers Rush To Pastors To Pray For Them / Why Christians / Believers Should Not Attend Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2012
Ten Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak in Tongues

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
— 1 Corinthians 14:18

The apostle Paul wrote and spoke much about the subject of speaking in other tongues, and he apparently practiced what he preached for he said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all" (1 Cor. 14:18). I, too, thank God that I speak in tongues regularly, and I wish every believer would make this his habit and enjoy this same blessing and source of power in his everyday life.

The purpose of this particular lesson is to set forth ten reasons why every Christian should speak in tongues, and to help believers see the blessings that can be theirs through daily appropriating the power of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

Reason Number 1
The Word of God teaches that when we are filled with the Holy Ghost, we speak with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives utterance. As we have seen, speaking in tongues is an initial evidence or sign of the baptism of the Holy Spirit:

"And they were all FILLED WITH THE
HOLY GHOST, and began to SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, as the Spirit gave them
utterance" (Acts 2:4)

In Acts 10, the brethren of the circumcision who had come with Peter to Cornelius' household were astonished when they saw that the gift of the Holy Ghost was poured out on the Gentiles too. They thought salvation and the baptism in the Holy Ghost were just for the Jews.How did these Jews know that Cornelius' household had received the gift of the Holy Ghost?

"For they HEARD THEM SPEAK WITH TONGUES, and magnify God ..." (Acts 10:46).

Speaking in tongues was the supernatural sign and initial evidence that convinced them that the Gentiles had the same gift they had.

Reason Number 2
Paul, in writing to the Church at Corinth, encouraged the Corinthian Christians to continue the practice of speaking with other tongues in their worship of God. He also encouraged them to speak in tongues in their individual prayer lives as a means of spiritual edification or building up. The Bible says, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue
edifi-eth himself. . ."(1Cor. 14:4).

Jude 20 also links praying in tongues with building yourself up spiritually.

JUDE 20
20 But ye, beloved, BUILDING UP YOURSELVES on your most holy faith, PRAYING IN
THE HOLY GHOST

Howard Carter, who was one of the Pentecostal world's most renowned teachers on the subject of spiritual gifts, said we must not forget that speaking with other tongues is not only the initial evidence of the Holy Spirit's infilling, but is also a continual experience for the rest of one's life.For what purpose? To assist us in the worship of God. "Speaking in tongues," Rev Carter said,"is a flowing stream that should never dry up, and that will enrich one's life spiritually." '

The Apostle Paul said that speaking with tongues will edify or build us up spiritually. "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries" (1 Cor. 14:2).

Moffatt's translation of this verse says, ". . . he is talking of divine secrets in the Spirit." Paul
was saying here that God has given to the church a divine, supernatural means of communication with Him.

Paul also stated in First Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYETH, but my understanding is unfruitful." Notice he said, ".. . my spirit prayeth. ..."

The Amplified Bible reads, ". . . my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays. . . ." God is a spirit. When you pray in tongues, your spirit is in direct contact with God, who is a Spirit. When you speak in tongues, you are talking to Him by divine, supernatural means.

Reason Number 3

The third reason people should speak with other tongues is that tongues keeps us continually aware of the Holy Spirit's indwelling Presence. Not only is speaking with tongues the initial sign or evidence of the Holy Spirit's infilling, but continuing to pray and to worship God in tongues helps us to be ever conscious of His indwelling Presence. And if you are conscious of the indwelling Presence of the Holy Ghost every day, that is bound to affect the way you think and live.

I once heard an evangelist tell of an experience he had in a pastor's home. As he walked into a room unexpectedly, he heard the pastor's twelve-year-old daughter just throwing a fit. She had lost her temper and was bawling her mother out.
Suddenly she looked up and saw the evangelist. She stopped and put her head in her hands and began to cry. She said, "I am so sorry you saw me act this way and heard what I said."He said to her, "Honey, there is One who is greater than I am who heard you and saw you act that way. You are a Christian, aren't you?" "Yes," was her tearful reply.

"Filled with the Spirit?" he asked."Yes," she answered."Well, the Holy Ghost is in you, and He knows what you said and how you acted," he told her."Just repent and the Lord will forgive you." They prayed together and she repented. Then in a
little while she began to worship God in tongues.This evangelist then said to her, "There is one secret that will help you curb your temper. If you will just pray and worship God every day in tongues, it will help you to be conscious of the
indwelling Presence of the Holy Ghost.

Then he said, "If you will remember that the Holy Spirit is in you, you won't act that way. You were ashamed because I saw you lose your temper. You were embarrassed because I heard you talk the way you did to your mother. But the Holy Ghost is greater than I am, and He saw and heard you too."

Some years later when this same evangelist returned to preach at that church, the pastor's daughter told him, "I have never forgotten what you said. Every day for the past few years I have prayed and worshipped God in tongues, and I have never lost my temper again."

Unfortunately, we all know people who have been filled with the Holy Ghost, yet still lose their temper and say and do things they shouldn't. It is because they have been walking in the flesh instead of in the Spirit, and they haven't been fellowshipping with God as they should have been.

It is so easy, when you are not conscious of God's Presence, to become aggravated and easily exasperated, and to allow yourself to lose your temper. But if you will take time to fellowship with God by speaking in tongues, you can continually be conscious of God's indwelling Presence.

Reason Number 4

Speaking in tongues eliminates the possibility of selfishness entering our prayer life. For instance, if I pray a prayer out of my own mind and out of my own thinking, it may be unscriptural. It may be selfish. Too many times our prayers are like the old farmer who always prayed, "God bless me, my wife, my son John, his wife — us four and no more."

Paul wrote to the Church at Rome, ". . . we know not what we should pray for as we ought. . ."
(Rom. 8:26)
. He didn't say we didn't know how to pray, because we do know how we are to pray. We are to pray to the Father in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ (John 16:23,24). That is the correct way to pray. But just because I know how to pray doesn't mean that I know what to pray for as I ought. So Paul said, ". . . we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself [ Himself] maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Rom. 8:26).

P. C. Nelson, a Greek scholar and the founder of Southwestern Bible Institute, said that the Greek in Romans 8:26 literally reads, ". . . the Holy Ghost maketh intercession for us in groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech."Articulate speech means your regular kind of speech. He went on to point out that the Greek stresses that this not only includes groanings escaping your lips in prayer, but also praying in other tongues. That agrees with what Paul said in First Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth. . . ." The Amplified Bible says, ". . . my spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays. . .."

People should be careful making fun of tongues, because when people make fun of tongues,they are making fun of the Holy Ghost. When you pray in tongues, it is your spirit praying by the Holy Spirit within you. It is the Holy Spirit within giving you the utterance, and you are speaking from out of your spirit. You do the talking; the Holy Spirit gives the utterance.

By praying with groanings and with other tongues, the Holy Spirit is helping you to pray according to the will of God — to pray as things should be prayed for. This isn't something the Holy Ghost does apart from you. He doesn't groan or in tongues apart from you. Those groanings that cannot be uttered in articulate speech come from inside of you — from your
spirit — and escape your own lips.The Holy Ghost is not going to do your praying for you. He is sent to dwell in us as a
Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby (John 14:16 Amp.).

The Holy Spirit is not responsible for our prayer life. He is sent to help us pray. Speaking with other tongues is praying as the Spirit gives utterance. It is Spirit-directed praying. It eliminates the possibility of selfishness in our prayers.

Many times when people have prayed out of their own minds, they have prayed for circumstances to change that were actually not the will of God and were not best. If God's people want things a certain way, even if it isn't best for them or is not God's will, He will often permit it.

For example, God did not want Israel to have a king, but they wanted one, so He permitted them to have one (1Sam.8:4-7). But a king was not His perfect will for them.Therefore, speaking in tongues eliminates selfishness and praying outside of the will of God because when we pray in tongues, we are praying the perfect will of God.

31 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
Good evening,

It's great that you speak in tongues but it is not a must for every Christian. And really, speaking in tongues is the least of the gifts of the spirit.

I believe you should concentrate on those things that can lead you to heaven instead of making trivial things very important. Speaking in tongues cannot take anyone to heaven.

I am really happy that you have been blessed with the gift of tongues but I wonder whether you can speak my dialect...

Thank you!

33 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 24, 2012
striktlymi: Good evening,

It's great that you speak in tongues but it is not a must for every Christian. And really, speaking in tongues is the least of the gifts of the spirit.

I believe you should concentrate on those things that can lead you to heaven instead of making trivial things very important. Speaking in tongues cannot take anyone to heaven.

I am really happy that you have been blessed with the gift of tongues but I wonder whether you can speak my dialect...

Thank you!
my post never mentioned about tongues taking anyone to heaven..thank u too sir !

2 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 24, 2012
Bidam: my post never mentioned about tongues taking anyone to heaven..thank u too sir !

Good evening,

I don't believe that I atributed the comment about 'tongues taking one to heaven' to you. It's meant to show that it is not important for every Christian. And the comment that every Christian should speak in tongues is not correct. The spirit gives the gift of tongues to whomever he wills and this gift is not given to everyone.

And frankly I am of the opinion that some people who claim to have the gift of tongues do not have it.

Thank you!

11 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 24, 2012
striktlymi:

Good evening,

I don't believe that I atributed the comment about 'tongues taking one to heaven' to you. It's meant to show that it is not important for every Christian. And the comment that every Christian should speak in tongues is not correct. The spirit gives the gift of tongues to whomever he wills and this gift is not given to everyone.

And frankly I am of the opinion that some people who claim to have the gift of tongues do not have it.

Thank you!
the bible is explicitly clear that ALL believers received the Holy ghost baptism with evidence of speaking in tongues(act 2:4) and not only that..it says the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off- for all whom the lord will call(act2:39)..now the question is whom am i to believe? You and your philosophical views? Or the Bible? I'd rather stick with the latter.

6 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Rich4god(m): 7:01pm On Dec 24, 2012
So what happens to christians that dont speak in tongue. Are they short of the Holy Spirit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 24, 2012
@striktlymi...i have got people baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues...with all humility, all the people i prayed for received the Holy Spirit baptism with speaking in tongues as evidence.These folks earnestly desire the gift and they got the gift. It is not what you THINK the Bible says that counts. And it's not what someone told you the bible says. It is what you KNOW(John 8:32) for yourself about God's Word that counts. And God will confirm His Word with signs following.

3 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 24, 2012
Rich4god: So what happens to christians that dont speak in tongue. Are they short of the Holy Spirit.
Good question.. If you are born again, you do have the Holy Spirit because there is a work of the Holy Spirit in the new birth(jn3:5-8; Rom.8:16). It is the Holy Spirit who imparts eternal life to the unregenerated spirit of the sinner(titus 3:5-7). It is the Holy Spirit who recreates the sinner's spirit and makes him a new creature in Christ Jesus( 2cor. 5:17). It is the Holy Spirit who bears witness with the spirit of the born-again one that he is a child of God(rom 8:16). But this is not the same as the infilling of the Holy Spirit( act1:cool, or enduement of power from on High, even though the Holy Spirit is present in the life of the born-again believer.

6 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Rich4god(m): 7:29pm On Dec 24, 2012
Bidam: Good question.. If you are born again, you do have the Holy Spirit because there is a work of the Holy Spirit in the new birth(jn3:5-8; Rom.8:16). It is the Holy Spirit who imparts eternal life to the unregenerated spirit of the sinner(titus 3:5-7). It is the Holy Spirit who recreates the sinner's spirit and makes him a new creature in Christ Jesus( 2cor. 5:17). It is the Holy Spirit who bears witness with the spirit of the born-again one that he is a child of God(rom 8:16). But this is not the same as the infilling of the Holy Spirit( act1:cool, or enduement of power from on High, even though the Holy Spirit is present in the life of the born-again believer.
From what you wrote above. I have so many friends who are born again but still dont speak in tongue.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
Rich4god:
From what you wrote above. I have so many friends who are born again but still dont speak in tongue.
then am afraid they are missing alot on the redemptive package of Christ.

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 24, 2012
Good evening again Bidam,

I want to believe that you are sincere in your resolve to following the word of God. It is in this light, I make the following comments:

Bidam: the bible is explicitly clear that ALL believers received the Holy ghost baptism with evidence of speaking in tongues(act 2:4) and not only that..

The passage of sacred scriptures you quoted:

Acts 2:4

"4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to talk in other languages, as the Spirit enabled them to speak."

did not explicitly say that every believer would receive the gift of tongues as suggested by your post. That part of sacred scriptures only revealed what happened to the apostles at Pentecost.

However, sacred scriptures was very explicit when it affirms that the spirit gives various gifts which should be used for the good of all:

1Corinthians12:4-7

"4 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them. 5 There are different ways of serving, but the same Lord is served. 6 There are different abilities to perform service, but the same God gives ability to all for their particular service. 7 The Spirit's presence is shown in some way in each person for the good of all."

It is also very clear in sacred scriptures that not everyone is given the gift of speaking in tongues:

1Corinthians 12:10-11

"10 The Spirit gives one person the power to work miracles; to another, the gift of speaking God's message; and to yet another, the ability to tell the difference between gifts that come from the Spirit and those that do not. To one person he gives the ability to speak in strange tongues, and to another he gives the ability to explain what is said. 11 But it is one and the same Spirit who does all this; as he wishes, he gives a different gift to each person."

Paul also went ahead to say:

1Corinthians14:23-24

"23 If, then, the whole church meets together and everyone starts speaking in strange tongues—and if some ordinary people or unbelievers come in, won't they say that you are all crazy? 24 But if everyone is proclaiming God's message when some unbelievers or ordinary people come in, they will be convinced of their sin by what they hear. They will be judged by all they hear,"

Hence though the gift of the spirit includes speaking in tongues but it is not compulsory that everyone should have it, and not having it does not imply that the individual does not have the spirit of God.

Bidam:
it says the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off- for all whom the lord will call(act2:39)

Your quote:
Acts2:39

"39 For God's promise was made to you and your children, and to all who are far away—all whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”

really does not support your claim that every believer should speak in tongues. The comment was made by Peter when he spoke to the people about Jesus being the messiah. That he came to the world and died for us and that he has risen as he said he would. I don't see how this passage supports your claim.

Bidam:
..now the question is whom am i to believe? You and your philosophical views? Or the Bible? I'd rather stick with the latter.

I really do not post in order for you to acccept my opinion but if you say you believe sacred scriptures then read through scriptures very well and make your decision.

Thank you!

25 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 24, 2012
Bidam: @striktlymi...i have got people baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues...with all humility, all the people i prayed for received the Holy Spirit baptism with speaking in tongues as evidence.These folks earnestly desire the gift and they got the gift. It is not what you THINK the Bible says that counts. And it's not what someone told you the bible says. It is what you KNOW(John 8:32) for yourself about God's Word that counts. And God will confirm His Word with signs following.

I believe you are the one getting sacred scriptures wrong and applying what you think. This people you baptised, how many spoke Igbo without a previous knowledge? How many spoke Ibibio? How many spoke Uwano? Or better still was there anyone who understood what they said just like people understood the Apostles when they spoke in tongues?

If you tell me that they all spoke in strange language without anyone being able to understand the language they spoke then this is what Paul has to say:

1Corinthians14:4
4 Those who speak in strange tongues help only themselves, but those who proclaim God's message help the whole church.

10 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 24, 2012
Bidam: then am afraid they are missing alot on the redemptive package of Christ.

Well Bidam,

I don't think Paul shares your sentiments, because he said:

1Corinthians14:5

"5 I would like for all of you to speak in strange tongues; but I would rather that you had the gift of proclaiming God's message. For the person who proclaims God's message is of greater value than the one who speaks in strange tongues—unless there is someone present who can explain what is said, so that the whole church may be helped.

9 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 24, 2012
striktlymi: Good evening again Bidam,

I want to believe that you are sincere in your resolve to following the word of God. It is in this light, I make the following comments:

The passage of sacred scriptures you quoted:

Acts 2:4

"4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to talk in other languages, as the Spirit enabled them to speak."

did not explicitly say that every believer would receive the gift of tongues as suggested by your post. That part of sacred scriptures only revealed what happened to the apostles at Pentecost.

However, sacred scriptures was very explicit when it affirms that the spirit gives various gifts which should be used for the good of all:

1Corinthians12:4-7

"4 There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit gives them. 5 There are different ways of serving, but the same Lord is served. 6 There are different abilities to perform service, but the same God gives ability to all for their particular service. 7 The Spirit's presence is shown in some way in each person for the good of all."

It is also very clear in sacred scriptures that not everyone is given the gift of speaking in tongues:

1Corinthians 12:10-11

"10 The Spirit gives one person the power to work miracles; to another, the gift of speaking God's message; and to yet another, the ability to tell the difference between gifts that come from the Spirit and those that do not. To one person he gives the ability to speak in strange tongues, and to another he gives the ability to explain what is said. 11 But it is one and the same Spirit who does all this; as he wishes, he gives a different gift to each person."

Paul also went ahead to say:

1Corinthians14:23-24

"23 If, then, the whole church meets together and everyone starts speaking in strange tongues—and if some ordinary people or unbelievers come in, won't they say that you are all crazy? 24 But if everyone is proclaiming God's message when some unbelievers or ordinary people come in, they will be convinced of their sin by what they hear. They will be judged by all they hear,"

Hence though the gift of the spirit includes speaking in tongues but it is not compulsory that everyone should have it, and not having it does not imply that the individual does not have the spirit of God.

Your quote:
Acts2:39

"39 For God's promise was made to you and your children, and to all who are far away—all whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”

really does not support your claim that every believer should speak in tongues. The comment was made by Peter when he spoke to the people about Jesus being the messiah. That he came to the world and died for us and that he has risen as he said he would. I don't see how this passage supports your claim.

I really do not post in order for you to acccept my opinion but if you say you believe sacred scriptures then read through scriptures very well and make your decision.

Thank you!
you are the one getting it mixed up here....let us start with what peter said about the OUTPOURING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN ACT 2. ACTS2 :32,33 "THIS JESUS HATH GOD RAISED UP, WHEREOF WE ALL ARE WITNESSES. 33. THEREFORE BEING BY THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD EXALTED, AND HAVING RECEIVED OF THE FATHER THE PROMISE OF THE HOLY GHOST, HE HATH SHED FORTH THIS, WHICH YE NOW SEE AND HEAR. ACTS 2:38,39. 38."THEN PETER SAID UNTO THEM, REPENT, AND BE BAPTISED EVERY OF YOU IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST. i can see u only picked repentance from that scripture without including baptism of the Holy Spirit..peter not only spoke about repentance but he also clearly spoke about baptism of the Holy Spirit in the same breath..you don't pick out only what suit you in scriptures leaving out the other. And if u look at verse 39 "for the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the lord our God shall call is still referring to what peter said about repentence and baptism...the other question will be tackled 2moro cos i ave low battery. God Bless

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by anukulapo: 11:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
@op
"you don't pick out only what suit you in
scriptures leaving out the other."

If you really believe your statement as quoted above, then you should read 1 cor 14:4 that you quote in full and not just the first part.
Seek rather to edify the church than yourself (though I forbid not to speak in tongues) for self is a member of the church not vice-versa and christ died for the church not and individual self.

Just passing by though.

3 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Rich4god(m): 1:45am On Dec 25, 2012
Bidam: then am afraid they are missing alot on the redemptive package of Christ.
Plz... throw more light on this sentence so that i can fully understand what you mean in other for me not to quote you wrong.

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 4:14am On Dec 25, 2012
Good morning Mr Bidam,

Bidam: you are the one getting it mixed up here....let us start with what peter said about the OUTPOURING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN ACT 2. ACTS2 :32,33 "THIS JESUS HATH GOD RAISED UP, WHEREOF WE ALL ARE WITNESSES. 33. THEREFORE BEING BY THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD EXALTED, AND HAVING RECEIVED OF THE FATHER THE PROMISE OF THE HOLY GHOST, HE HATH SHED FORTH THIS, WHICH YE NOW SEE AND HEAR. ACTS 2:38,39. 38."THEN PETER SAID UNTO THEM, REPENT, AND BE BAPTISED EVERY OF YOU IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST.

How does your quote support your claim? The part of sacred scriptures you quoted does not in any way suggest that every believer should speak in tongues. Peter talked about the gifts of the spirit. He did not limit himself to speaking in tongues. If my memory serves me right, the fact that the spirit is meant for every believer is not in dispute here. What is in dispute is your claim that every believer should speak in tongues. This claim has no scriptural basis. It is strictly your own view. I have no problem with you having an opinion but this should not be passed on as scriptural.

Bidam:
i can see u only picked repentance from that scripture without including baptism of the Holy Spirit..peter not only spoke about repentance but he also clearly spoke about baptism of the Holy Spirit

I still fail to see how the above supports your claim. Baptism of the holy spirit is not the same as "every believer should speak in tongues". When we receive the baptism of the spirit, the spirit gives out various gifts as he pleases which is not limited to just speaking in tongues.

Bidam: in the same breath..you don't pick out only what suit you in scriptures leaving out the
other.

Mr. Bidam I don't think the above quote is relevant cause it is impracticcal for one to just put everything scripture has here in one post. If you go through all the quotes I gave, no word or letter was left out. You can verify this yourself. And in any case, you can only accuse someone of doing such when the individual's claim is not consistent with some other part of scripture. Now which part of sacred scriptures supports your claim that "every believer should speak in tongues"?

Bidam: And if u look at verse 39 "for the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the lord our God shall call is still referring to what peter said about repentence and baptism...the other question will be tackled 2moro cos i ave low battery. God Bless

Repentance and Baptism is not in dispute.

Thank you and a merry Christmas!

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 25, 2012
@striktlymi, rich4god,anukulapo and other viewers...merry xmas morning to you all..hope u all are enjoying the christmas break...we are still on this important topic that has generated alot of controversies in the church today, and that is the baptism of the Holy Spirit..I can understand why some of you guys will want to argue based on the topic of the thread:TEN REASONS WHY EVERY BELIEVER SHOULD SPEAK IN TONGUES..it might be unpleasant and annoying to your views but i believe if you follow me carefully, i will explain this reasons backed with scriptural quotations from the bible..some of the questions you raised has been answered in my first post..pls take time to read the post and anything you don't understand will be clarified..as you can see am in REASON4..so just be patient and bear with me because it is 10 reasons i want to mention..i will try and answer some of your questions now by the help of the Holy Spirit since they are questions every bible scholar need to ask to better enhance his knowlegde of the bible.let me start with wat striktlymi raised from the beginning of the thread..thank u
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Rich4god(m): 11:47am On Dec 25, 2012
@Bidam... Everybody have his/her own gift of the Holy Spirit. So if a believer speaks in tongue that does not make him/her a better christian (believer) than those who doesn't speak in tongue.
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 25, 2012
Rich4god: @Bidam... Everybody have his/her own gift of the Holy Spirit. So if a believer speaks in tongue that does not make him/her a better christian (believer) than those who doesn't speak in tongue.
don't get me wrong i never said that tongues is the most important of all the gifts or speaking in tongues makes u a better believer than those who don't speak in tongues..what i was trying to explain is the benefits of speaking in tongues a believer enjoys..striktlylmi was the one who erroneously inferred that, that was what i said without taking time to read my post thoroughly..there is more to being filled with the Holy Spirit than speaking in tongues, but tongues are an integral and an important part of RECEIVING THE HOLY SPIRIT, since they are the INITIAL EVIDENCE OF THE INFILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT(act 2:4). Also, speaking in tongues is an integral part of the believer's DEVOTIONAL prayer life, for as the Apostle paul said,"I thank my God, I speak with tongues........"(1cor.14:18). I too, can say with paul. " i thank my God i speak with tongues".
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 25, 2012
Have Tongues Been Done Away With?

In the church world today many people say, "Tongues have been done away with, because the Bible says that tongues will cease." The Bible does say that one day tongues will cease, but that is not referring to this present church age. However, to try to prove that tongues have already ceased, these folks usually refer to First Corinthians 13:8-12:8

Charity [love] never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;
WHETHER THERE BE TONGUES, THEY SHALL CEASE; whether there be knowledge, it
shall vanish away.9. for we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when THAT WHICH IS PERFECT is come, then THAT WHICH IS IN PART shall be
done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For NOW we SEE THROUGH A GLASS, darkly; but THEN FACE TO FACE: NOW I
KNOW IN PART; but THEN SHALL I KNOW even as also I am known.

These folks use verse 10 to try to prove that tongues have ceased, because they say the Bible is "that which is perfect" which has already come. They say that since we have the Bible in its complete form now, we no longer need "that which is in part" — which includes supernatural gifts (1 Cor. 13:10).

Of course, the Bible is perfect, but our under-standing of the Bible certainly is not perfect.Therefore, until that which is perfect has come, we still "see through a glass darkly" in this life(1 Cor. 13:12). Hence, "that which is in part" (1 Cor. 13:10) has not ceased.

1 CORINTHIANS 13:8
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there
be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be KNOWLEDGE, it SHALL VANISH AWAY.
These folks who say tongues have ceased don't say anything about knowledge having
vanished away (1 Cor. 13:cool! But if they are going to quote that verse, they need to quote the
whole verse because it also says, ". . . whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether
there be KNOWLEDGE, it shall VANISH AWAY" (1 Cor. 13:cool.

Knowledge has not vanished away. Prophecies have not failed or ceased to exist, and,
therefore, tongues have not ceased. However, one of these days, tongues will cease. In
heaven there will be no necessity for tongues because that which is perfect will have come (1
Cor. 13:10).
1 CORINTHIANS 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for
no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Let's look at Moffatt's translation of First Corinthians 14:2.

1 CORINTHIANS 14:2 (Moffatt)
2 ... For he who speaks in a 'tongue' addresses God, not man; no one understands him;
he is talking of divine secrets in the Spirit.

When we get to heaven, there won't be any more mysteries or secrets, so it won't be
necessary to speak with tongues. As long as we are this side of heaven, however, tongues will not cease.

Are Tongues Available for All Believers?

As we said before, there is more to being filled with the Holy Spirit than speaking in tongues;
but speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit.
There are those who purport to believe in speaking in tongues but do not feel that tongues are
necessary for all believers. However, the baptism in the Holy Spirit is for all those who believe
(Acts 2:38,39); therefore, speaking in tongues as an evidence of the Spirit's infilling is also for
all those who believe.

Those who say that speaking in tongues is not necessary for all believers use the scripture in
First Corinthians 12:30 which says, ". . . do all speak with tongues?. . ." to prove their
argument.

However, one could take a part of a verse of Scripture, or even one entire verse of Scripture
out of its setting and try to prove anything with it. But we have to read the entire context to see
what the writer is talking about.

To learn what Paul is talking about in First Corinthians 12:30, ". . . do all speak with tongues? .
. ." we must read the entire context in First Corinthians chapter 12.

Having done that, then let's look specifically at verses 27 through 30.
1 CORINTHIANS 12:27-30
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]28 And God hath set some in the church, first APOSTLES, secondarily PROPHETS,
thirdly TEACHERS, after that MIRACLES, then GIFTS OF HEALINGS, HELPS,
GOVERNMENTS,
DIVERSITIES OF TONGUES.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret

What is Paul talking about in this passage of Scripture? He is talking about ministry gifts, not
spiritual gifts. Ministry gifts are those people in the Body of Christ who are called by God to
stand in the fivefold ministry (Eph. 4:11,12).
These apostles, prophets, teachers, and so forth, listed here in First Corinthians 12:27 and 28
are ministry gifts that God has set in the Church.

For example, first, "apostles" is not a spiritual gift, but it is an office or a ministry gift.
Second, "prophets" is not a spiritual gift, but it is a ministry gift. Third, "teachers," the office of a
teacher, is not a spiritual gift, but a ministry gift, or one called to minister to the Body of Christ.
Therefore, in this passage of Scripture in First Corinthians 12:27-30, Paul is talking about
ministry gifts, or those called to the fivefold ministry, not about spiritual gifts.
In order to see the difference between ministry gifts and spiritual gifts, let's look at the nine
spiritual gifts, or gifts of the Spirit. Paul lists them in the first part of this chapter.

1 CORINTHIANS 12:8-10
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the WORD OF WISDOM; to another the WORD OF
KNOWLEDGE by the same Spirit;
9 To another FAITH [special faith] by the same Spirit; to another the GIFTS OF HEALING
by the same Spirit;
10 To another the WORKING OF MIRACLES; to another PROPHECY; to another
DISCERNING OF SPIRITS; to another DIVERS KINDS OF TONGUES; to another the
INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES.

It is certainly true that gifts of the Spirit may be manifested through the laity, not just through
ministry gifts or those called to the fivefold ministry, because the Bible does say, "But the
manifestation of the Spirit is given TO EVERY MAN to profit withal" (1Cor. 12:7).
However, there are those in the fivefold ministry who are especially equipped with certain gifts
of the Spirit in order to fulfill their office or function in the Body of Christ. We do not call those
people spiritual gifts or gifts of the Spirit; they are ministries or ministry gifts that God has set in
the Church.

EPHESIANS 4:11,12
11 And he gave some, APOSTLES; and some, PROPHETS; and some, EVANGELISTS;
and some, PASTORS and TEACHERS;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the
body of Christ
There are five ministry gifts or offices. They are people in the Body of Christ who are called by
God to stand in the fivefold ministry.

Now let's look at First Corinthians 12:28 in context so we can understand what Paul meant
when he said, "... do all speak with tongues?. . ." (1 Cor. 12:30).

In First Corinthians 12:28, Paul is also listing ministry gifts, but he lists them in a little different
way.
1 CORINTHIANS 12:28
28 And God hath set some in the church, first APOSTLES, secondarily PROPHETS,
thirdly TEACHERS, after that MIRACLES, then GIFTS OF HEALINGS, HELPS,
GOVERNMENTS, DIVERSITIES OF TONGUES.
Now let's look at each one of these ministry gifts, so we can understand the phrase "do all
speak with tongues?"

Miracles and Gifts of Healings

Those gifts of "miracles" and "gifts of healings" indicate a ministry gift — the office of the
evangelist. The ministry of an evangelist is not listed at all here, except as "miracles" and "gifts
of healings," indicating the office of the evangelist.
Philip is our only example of a New Testament evangelist. We can see the working of miracles
and gifts of healings operating in his ministry which indicate the ministry of an evangelist.

ACTS 8:5-7
5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake,
HEARING AND SEEING THE MIRACLES WHICH HE DID.
7 For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed
with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
Later on Philip was called an evangelist.

ACTS 21:8
8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea:
and we entered into the house of PHILIP THE EVANGELIST, which was one of the
seven; and abode with him.

If a person is a New Testament evangelist, he will be equipped with supernatural gifts such as
working of miracles and gifts of healings. In fact, it takes at least those two gifts to constitute
the office of the evangelist.

Many times we call people evangelists who are really exhorters. In other words, they just
exhort sinners to get saved, but they are not really New Testament evangelists; they are
exhorters.

Exhorters do not have the gifts of healings or the gift of the working of miracles operating in
their ministries. They are exhorters; that is their function in the Body of Christ. And they can
exhort people to get saved, but there is no manifestation of supernatural gifts operating in their
lives or ministries on a continual basis. Paul speaks of exhorters in the Book of Romans (Rom.12:cool
Helps

The ministry of helps is included in this passage in First Corinthians 12:27-30 too. These are
people in the Body of Christ who are divinely called and anointed by God to help those in the
fivefold ministry. Verse 28 calls this ministry, "helps." Their function is as a supportive role to
those called to the ministry.

Governments

Also, the ministry or the office of the pastor is not listed in this verse either, as such. However,
the office of governments is listed which indicates the pastoral office because the pastor is the
head of a church. He "governs" or shepherds the local body
Diversities of Tongues

Another ministry gift we see listed in First Corinthians 12:28 is diversities of tongues. Paul has
not changed his subject in this verse. He is still talking about ministry gifts, or fivefold ministry
offices, not gifts of the Spirit.

In other words, in this passage, Paul isn't talking about being filled with the Holy Ghost and
speaking with tongues as a devotional gift because he said, "Are all apostles? [No!] are all
prophets? [No!] are all teachers? [No!] are all workers of miracles? [No!] Have all the gifts of
healing? ..." The answer is no (1 Cor. 12:29,30).

Then Paul said, ". . . do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" (1 Cor. 12:30). The answer is
no, all do not speak with tongues as a ministry gift. Paul was not talking about believers being
filled with the Holy Ghost and speaking with tongues in their private devotional prayer lives.
However, all believers are encouraged to speak in tongues to themselves and to God (1 Cor.
14:2,4).

Paul was talking about ministering in tongues in a public assembly with interpretation as a ministry gift, and not everyone does that. Ministering in tongues in public assembly with interpretation on more of a continual basis denotes the ministry gift of diversities of tongues most closely related to the office of the prophet, and not every believer has that gift. This is not referring to a believer who is used in tongues or interpretation of tongues on an occasional
basis.

Of course, every believer can have the gift of speaking in other tongues for private devotion.
The gifts of the Spirit are for all believers. But ministry gifts only refer to those who are called to the fivefold ministry.It is true that the laity are sometimes used in the manifestation of the gift of tongues and
interpretation of tongues — the gift of the Spirit listed in First Corinthians 12:10. But, actually,
diversities of tongues listed here in First Corinthians 12:28 is not referring to lay members
speaking in tongues; it is referring to an office — a fivefold ministry gift.

1 CORINTHIANS 12:28
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly
teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, DIVERSITIES
OF TONGUES.

1 CORINTHIANS 14:27,28
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and
that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to
himself, and to God.

Paul was speaking here about one of the fivefold ministry gifts which is equipped with tongues
and interpretation of tongues. This spiritual equipment of diversities of tongues is manifested
on a consistent basis through one who is called to the fivefold ministry in the office of the
prophet.

Tongues and Interpretation in Public Ministry
For years I have ministered to people through the gift of tongues and interpretation. Now I do
the same thing in prophecy. It is important to note that a person doesn't always necessarily
have just one gift operating at a time. Many times spiritual gifts operate together. Like the
colors of a rainbow, they sometimes come together and overflow one into another.

For example, I have ministered healing to people through tongues and interpretation. I have
seen them get up from a deathbed, and they are still well and alive today. In a case such as
that, the gifts of healings operate in conjunction with tongues and interpretation.
Also, many times through tongues and interpretation the Holy Spirit will make manifest the
secrets of men's hearts. And at times through tongues and interpretation, the Spirit of God
through me has told ministers their very need and the desire of their hearts.

The Value of Speaking in Tongues
Many have been robbed of the blessings God intended them to have by believing that
speaking in tongues isn't for everyone, or that speaking in tongues is one of the lesser gifts of
the Spirit.

Before I was baptized in the Holy Spirit, I used to say, "We've got wisdom and knowledge, and
those are the greater gifts of the Spirit."(The Bible never said a thing in the world about wisdom and knowledge being spiritual gifts or gifts of the Spirit in and of themselves, but I didn't have enough sense to know that!)What the scripture says is, "For to one is given by the Spirit the WORD of wisdom; to anotherthe WORD of knowledge ..." (1 Cor. 12:cool. But the Bible isn't speaking here of wisdom and knowledge at all. It is speaking about the spiritual gifts of the word of wisdom and the word of knowledge.

As I already said, before I received the infilling of the Holy Ghost, I used to say, "We havewisdom and knowledge and those are the important gifts." I also said, "Now a few of those Pentecostals might have that little ole gift mentioned down toward the end of First Corinthians 12:8-10, the gift of tongues. But that gift really isn't very important, so we don't need it."

To my utter astonishment, the Spirit of God began to show me from His Word that I needed this valuable spiritual gift; I needed to be filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. The Lord showed me from the Word that when I got filled with the Holy Ghost, I would speak with tongues (Acts 2:4).

The Spirit of God revealed to me from the Word that speaking with tongues is an initial evidence or sign of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:4 says, "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and BEGAN TO SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

However, speaking with tongues does not occur as just one initial experience of being filled with the Holy Ghost, and then it ceases. Speaking with tongues is a continual experience for the rest of one's life to assist in the worship of God. As Howard Carter said, "It is a flowing stream that should never dry up, but will [continually] enrich the life spiritually."'Notice that in writing to the Church at Corinth, Paul very definitely encouraged the Corinthian
Christians to follow the practice of speaking with tongues in their own private prayer lives. And
he gives a number of reasons for it.

Paul said, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. . ." (1 Cor. 14:4). The word "unknown" is italicized in the King James translation. When a word in the Bible is italicized in
the King James translation, that means the word isn't in the original Scriptures. It was added by
the translators to clarify the meaning.Therefore, in one sense of the word, there isn't any such thing as an unknown tongue. For instance, the translators of the King James Version added the word "unknown" in order to
convey the idea to readers that tongues are unknown to the speaker. However, tongues aren't necessarily always unknown to everyone, and they are never unknown to God.

For example, as I have spoken in tongues publicly on different occasions, I have spoken in a number of different languages that I have never learned, such as Hebrew and Chinese. And some folks who were present have understood what I said. But if I were asked now to speak these languages, I couldn't say one word in any of them. So in that sense, the tongues were unknown to me, but they weren't unknown to everyone, and they are certainly never unknown
to God.(excerpts from Kenneth E Hagin).

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 25, 2012
Good afternoon Bidam,

Well you have raised a number of points some of which were not part of the topic of discussion and really some of the things you talked about are not in dispute.

However, as regards the "initial evidence" of the outpouring of the spirit, you have not provided any scriptural basis for your conclusion. Your opinion that the gift of tongues is the 'initial evidence' of the outpouring of God's spirit is not consistent with sacred scriptures. Jesus has the fullness of the spirit but yet there was no record of him speaking in tongues. When he needed to prove to John the baptist that he was the promised messiah, he did not do this by speaking in tongues, he rather preferred some other form of proof. John the baptist has the gifts of the spirit and I don't think he needed to speak in tongues as evidence or 'initial evidence' of these gifts of the spirit.

I believe this 'initial evidence' is your own thoughts and really not what the scripture says.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 25, 2012
Hi all maybe this will be the 11th reason! With our se.x glorifying media and society, whenever such try to take over my mind and vis-a-viz my emotion, i quickly switch to tongue mode, declaring my righteousness in Christ and bringing every tot under the obedience of Christ as i declare with my understanding and continue to speak in tongues. After sometime, my emotions are brought under control and my thoughts are sanctified. So i support the op, if you believe in the death, burial and ressurection of Christ, you are saved and have the Holy Spirit, you can speak cos He in you will give you utterances. Enjoy!
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 25, 2012
Reason Number 5
The fifth reason believers should speak with tongues is that it helps them learn to trust God
more fully. It builds one's faith to speak in tongues. The Bible says, ". . . building up yourselves
on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost" (Jude 20).

Speaking in tongues stimulates faith and helps us learn how to trust God more fully. For
example, faith must be exercised to speak with tongues because the Holy Spirit supernaturally
directs the words we speak. You see, we don't know what the next word will be — we have to
trust God for that. And trusting God in one area helps us learn to trust Him in another area.
As a young denominational minister I was pastor of a community church, and there was a fine
Christian woman in our church who dearly loved the Lord. But she was afflicted in her body
with sickness. She had an ulcerated stomach, and the doctors feared that it would lead to
cancer of the stomach. Her husband made good money, but he had spent everything he had
on doctor bills until finally they didn't even own an automobile. He had spent thousands of
dollars.
This woman received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and shortly after that I visited in their home
again. I noticed that she could eat almost anything, whereas before she could eat only a little
baby food and milk, and had even had difficulty keeping that in her stomach.
She told me, "I not only received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and spoke with other tongues,
but I received my healing as well. I am perfectly healed."
I have seen this happen many times. What is the connection? We know that receiving the
baptism of the Holy Ghost doesn't heal you. However, speaking with tongues helps you to
learn how to trust God more fully in other areas of life — including in the area of healing.

Reason Number 6
The sixth reason every Christian ought to regularly speak in tongues is that speaking in
tongues is a means of keeping us free from the contamination of the ungodly and profane
elements of the world. For example, there is much vulgar talk that goes on around us on the
job or out in public. But we can speak in tongues to ourselves (1 Cor. 14:28).
In other words, if you can speak in tongues to yourself and to God in church, then you can
speak in tongues on the job, too, in a way that won't disturb anyone. In the barber shops, for
instance, if the men are telling jokes that are not edifying, I just sit there quietly and speak to
myself and to God in tongues.
Riding the train, bus, or airplane, you can speak to yourself and to God. On the job you can
speak to yourself and to God. Speaking in tongues to yourself and to God is a means of
keeping yourself free from the contamination of the world.

Reason Number 7
The seventh reason every believer should speak in tongues is that it provides a way for things
to be prayed for about which no one thinks to pray, or is even aware of. We already know that
the Holy Spirit helps us pray for things we do not know how to pray for as we ought. In
addition, the Holy Spirit, who knows everything, can pray through us for things about which our
natural mind knows nothing.
When a missionary to Africa was speaking at a missionary conference in England once, a
woman asked him, "Do you keep a diary?"
When he replied that he did, she said, "Two years ago I was awakened in the night with a
burden to pray. I got out of bed and I was speaking in tongues before I ever got down on my
knees."
She continued, "I prayed for an hour in tongues. It just seemed as if I was wrestling in the
spirit. I didn't know what I was praying for, but as I finished praying, I had a vision in which I
saw you in a little old grass thatched hut. There weren't any other white people there. The
natives were gathered around you, and you were extremely sick. Then you died. The natives
pulled a sheet up over your head and went outside of the hut.
"Suddenly," she said, "I saw you come out of the hut and stand in their midst, and they all
rejoiced! Did anything like that ever happen to you?"
In response, he asked her, "Do you keep a diary?"
"Yes," she answered.
"Bring your diary this afternoon and I will bring mine, and we can compare notes," he said.
They had never had any connection with one another before this time; this woman only knew
that this man was a missionary.
Comparing their diaries and making allowances for the differences in time between the
countries of England and Africa, they learned that the time of the woman's prayer burden
coincided exactly with the time when the missionary was sick with a deadly fever.
The missionary related that his partner had gone to a neighboring village and he had been left
alone with the natives. Things happened just as she saw them. The missionary had died, the
natives saw him die, and they pulled a sheet over his head. Then suddenly the missionary rose
up well because of the power of God made available through this woman's praying in other
tongues.
In 1956 when my wife and I were in California ministering, I was awakened suddenly in the
night. It was as if someone had laid a hand on me. I sat bolt upright in bed, my heart beating
fast as though I were afraid.
I lay back down and said, "Lord, what is the matter? I know something is wrong somewhere." It
was as if the Spirit of God had awakened me.
I said, "Holy Spirit in me, You know everything. You are everywhere. You are everywhere
present at once, as well as dwelling within me. Whatever is the matter, please give me
utterance to pray about it."
Then I began to pray in tongues, and I lay there and prayed quietly to God for about an hour.
Then I began to laugh and sing in tongues. When you pray this way, always continue praying
until you have a note of praise or victory. Then that means whatever it is you were praying
about has been prayed through.
When I got that note of victory in my praying, I knew that what I had been praying about had
been prayed through. I had the answer, so I went back to sleep.
As I slept, I dreamed that I saw my youngest brother in a motel in Louisiana. I saw him awaken
at midnight. I saw someone summon the doctor, and
I saw an ambulance come. I saw them put my brother in an ambulance, and I saw the red light
flashing as they took him to the hospital.
In the dream I stood in the corridor of the hospital just outside his door. When the doctor came
out, he pulled the door closed behind him and then he saw me standing there. He shook his
head and said to me, "He's dead."
In the dream I said, "No, doctor, he is not dead. The Lord told me he would live and not die
The doctor became angry and said, "I know when people are dead. I have pronounced many
hundreds of people dead." He grabbed me by the hand and said, "Come, I'll let you see for
yourself."
He opened the door, led me to the bed, and jerked the sheet from my brother's face. When he
did, he saw that my brother was breathing and his eyes were open.
The doctor said, "Why, you knew something I didn't know! He is alive, isn't he?" I saw my
brother rise up well. Then that was the end of the dream. I knew that was what I had prayed
about.
Three months later we came back to Texas. My brother stopped by to see me and said, "I
nearly died while you were gone."
"Yes, I know," I said. "You were down in Louisiana, weren't you? It was in the nighttime and
you had an attack and you were taken to the hospital in an ambulance."
"Yes. How did you know?" he asked.
When I told him about my burden for prayer followed by the dream, he said, "It happened just
like that. They told me that for about forty minutes there at the hospital, the doctor thought I
was dead."
Praying in the Spirit provides a way for things to be prayed for that people wouldn't know
anything about in the natural. The Holy Ghost, however, knows everything. And He is our
Helper in prayer.(culled from :"THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HIS GIFTS" BY KENNETH E HAGIN.)

4 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 25, 2012
[quote author=striktlymi]Good afternoon Bidam,

Well you have raised a number of points some of which were not part of the topic of discussion and really some of the things you talked about are not in dispute.

However, as regards the "initial evidence" of the outpouring of the spirit, you have not provided any scriptural basis for your conclusion. Your opinion that the gift of tongues is the 'initial evidence' of the outpouring of God's spirit is not consistent with sacred scriptures. [
b]Jesus has the fullness of the spirit but yet there was no record of him speaking in tongues. When he needed to prove to John the baptist that he was the promised messiah, he did not do this by speaking in tongues, he rather preferred some other form of proof.[/b]
Jesus Ministered as a Man Anointed by the Holy Spirit
Jesus Himself ministered not as the Son of God but as a man anointed by the Holy Ghost.
Jesus was just as much the Son of God when He was twenty-five as He was the Son of God
when He was thirty years old. Yet at twenty-five years old, He had not healed a single person;
not one miracle of healing had been wrought under His ministry prior to His receiving the
anointing of the Holy Spirit at the age of thirty.
And Jesus was just as much the Son of God when He was twenty-nine years old as He was
when He was thirty. Yet at the age of twenty-nine, not one single person was healed in His
ministry, nor had He wrought one miracle of healing.
Even when Jesus was thirty years of age, on the day before Jesus was baptized by John in the
River Jordan and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him to anoint Him to minister, Jesus was just
as much the Son of God as He was after His baptism.
Yet until Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit, He never healed a single person. Before Jesus
was anointed by the Holy Spirit, there was no manifestation of the power of God operating in
His ministry. It was only after the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in the form of a dove in
order to anoint Him to minister that the gifts of the Spirit began to be manifest in His ministry.
In fact, Jesus Himself said, ". . . the Father that dwelleth in me, HE doeth the works" ( John
14:10). He never did claim to do them Himself or on His own. He said, "My Father in Me, He
does the works." How did He do them? Through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus stood up and read in His hometown synagogue, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he hath anointed me . . ." (Luke 4:18). Then Peter, preaching to Cornelius and his
household, said, "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power:
who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with
him "(Acts 10:38). Although Jesus had always been the Son of God, He never healed anyone
until after He was anointed with the Holy Ghost and power.
This should prove conclusively that Jesus didn't heal the sick by some power that was inherent
in Him as the Son of God, the second Person of the Trinity. Rather, He healed the sick just as
anyone else called of God would minister to the sick today — by the anointing of the Holy
Spirit, by the manifestation of these gifts of healings, and by the preaching of the Word of God.
The Word of God tells us in the Book of John that Christ had the Spirit without measure (John
3:34). Therefore, we would see a full manifestation of spiritual gifts operating in Jesus' ministry
that we wouldn't see in anyone else's ministry because, as John 3:34 infers, Jesus had the
Spirit without measure. No other person has the Spirit without measure.
However, it seems to me that John 3:34 infers that the entire Body of Christ has the same
measure of the Spirit collectively as Jesus had individually. Therefore, just one person would
not have the same measure of success in ministering even the gifts of healings that Jesus had
in His earth walk because He had the Spirit without measure.
Having the Spirit without measure, Jesus would have the manifestation of all the gifts of the SPIRIT in earth walk,except tongues and interpretation,which are exclusive to the dispensation of the church age which JESUS ushered in. Ofcos all the gifts of healings would be included in the spiritual gift which were manifested in JESUS ministry.

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 25, 2012
striktlymi: Good afternoon Bidam,

However, as regards the "initial evidence" of the outpouring of the spirit, you have not provided any scriptural basis for your conclusion. Your opinion that the gift of tongues is the 'initial evidence' of the outpouring of God's spirit is not consistent with sacred scriptures. Jesus has the fullness of the spirit but yet there was no record of him speaking in tongues. When he needed to prove to John the baptist that he was the promised messiah, he did not do this by speaking in tongues, he rather preferred some other form of proof. John the baptist has the gifts of the spirit and I don't think he needed to speak in tongues as evidence or 'initial evidence' of these gifts of the spirit.

I believe this 'initial evidence' is your own thoughts and really not what the scripture says.

Thank you!
John the Baptist had the Holy Ghost and he didn't speak with tongues. Prophets of the Old Testament had the Holy Ghost,but they never spoke in tongues. So why do we need to speak in tongues?"

But we must remember that John the Baptist ministered as a prophet under the Old Covenant.
Prophets under the Old Covenant had not been born again. They did not have a recreated human spirit; they had never been made a new creature in Christ (2 Cor. 5:17) because Jesus had not yet come in His death, burial, and resurrection to redeem mankind.

Therefore, prophets under the Old Covenant did not have the infilling of the Holy Spirit in the same way that a born-again, Spirit-filled believer does living under the New Covenant.

Under the Old Covenant, the Holy Spirit came upon those who stood in the offices of the prophet, priest, and king to enable them to fulfill their offices or ministries, but He did not indwell and infill them in the same sense that He does the born-again, Spirit-filled believer living under the New Covenant.

We are not living under the Old Covenant. What happened under the Old Covenant was written as an example for us now, but that doesn't mean we are to try to live like they did under the Old Covenant. We want the Holy Ghost and His gifts manifested in our lives according to the dispensation in which we live. And the gift of tongues and interpretation of tongues are unique to the dispensation of the Church Age.

John the Baptist was still under the Old Covenant. He was a prophet under the Old Covenant.Jesus Himself said concerning John the Baptist, ". . . Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he"(Matt. 11:11).

Therefore, we have to start with the Acts of the Apostles. We can't go back to the Old Covenant to pattern our lives because we are not living under that covenant.

We have a better covenant established on better promises (Heb. 8:6), particularly in the area of the promise of the Holy Spirit.

1 Like

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 25, 2012
striktlymi: Good afternoon Bidam,

[/b]

Thank you!
As I examined the scriptures closely in the Book of Acts, I found that there are five recorded instances where believers received the Holy Spirit.These five instances, discussed in Chapter 8, are sufficient to show us a pattern of the Holy Spirit's dealing in the Early Church: people were saved and subsequently filled with the Holy
Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. This is a pattern for us living under the same covenant today. God desires that every believer be filled with the Holy Spirit — the enduement of power from on High (Luke 24:49).

Let's review these five instances once more.

[b]1. Acts 2:1-4

The 120 on the Day of Pentecost: These were men and women, including Mary, the mother of Jesus. Gathered in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost, they were filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

2. Acts 8:5-17
The Samaritans: Saved under Philip's ministry, they received the Holy Spirit when Peter and John laid hands on them. Simon saw physical evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit, which was probably speaking in tongues.

3. Acts 9:3-18
Saul (later called Paul): When Ananias laid hands on him, Paul received the Holy Spirit. We know Paul spoke in tongues because later he wrote to the Church at Corinth, "I thank my God,I speak with tongues more than ye r. 14:18).

4. Acts 10:44-46
Cornelius and his household: This incident occurred years after the Day of Pentecost. As Peter was preaching the gospel to these first Gentile converts, they were all saved (Acts 11:14) and filled with the Holy Spirit, and spoke with other tongues.

5. Acts 19:1-7
The Ephesian disciples: This incident occurred many years after the Day of Pentecost. These Ephesian disciples were saved and baptized in the Name of Jesus after Paul explained the gospel to them. Then when Paul laid hands on them, they were immediately filled with the Holy Spirit and they spoke with other tongues.

Thus, in the Bible in the Acts of the Apostles, we see that over many years there are three recorded incidents of believers receiving the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking with tongues. And twice it is inferred that the evidence for believers receiving the Holy Spirit was speaking in tongues. We should expect to have the same witness of the baptism of the Holy Spirit in evidence today.

3 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 25, 2012
Evening Bidam,

Like I said before, this "initial evidence" is your thought on the matter and not what scripture says. There is no part of sacred scripture where it is said that when one receives the holy spirit, the individual must speak in tongues but rather it is explicit in sacred scriptures that not everyone has the gift of tongues. If everyone does not have the gift of tongues then it only follows that not everyone will speak in tongues when he or she receives the spirit.

Now, as for the topic of discussion, it is very explicit in sacred scriptures that the spirit gives different gifts to various people and he gives it to whomever he wills. We do not force the spirit to give us any gift. The spirit does this at his discretion. It is not compulsory for every believer to receive the gift of tongues. All these are explicit in sacred scriptures and I am at a loss why you prefer your own thoughts to what we have in scripture.

I have explained in my earlier posts and provided scriptural backings for my position. However, you have made at least two claims which are not backed by scriptures as you claim. "Initial evidence" of the spirit and "every believer should speak in tongues" are your thoughts and not what scripture says.

Thank you!
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 25, 2012
striktlymi: Evening Bidam,

Like I said before, this "initial evidence" is your thought on the matter and not what scripture says. There is no part of sacred scripture where it is said that when one receives the holy spirit, the individual must speak in tongues but rather it is explicit in sacred scriptures that not everyone has the gift of tongues. If everyone does not have the gift of tongues then it only follows that not everyone will speak in tongues when he or she receives the spirit.

Now, as for the topic of discussion, it is very explicit in sacred scriptures that the spirit gives different gifts to various people and he gives it to whomever he wills. We do not force the spirit to give us any gift. The spirit does this at his discretion. It is not compulsory for every believer to receive the gift of tongues. All these are explicit in sacred scriptures and I am at a loss why you prefer your own thoughts to what we have in scripture.

I have explained in my earlier posts and provided scriptural backings for my position. However, you have made at least two claims which are not backed by scriptures as you claim. "Initial evidence" of the spirit and "every believer should speak in tongues" are your thoughts and not what scripture says.

Thank you!
stop being obstinate and refer to my post above in which i bold highlighted ur quotes..i gave u five scriptural evidences in acts of the apostles..or are u blind to those scriptures i quoted..pls go thru them and let it be the basis for our arguements..stop going round in circles..thank you!
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 26, 2012
Good morning sir,

Temper! temper!!

I guess I sometimes have that effect on people, but really a simple theological discussion is hardly enough reason for tempers to start rising.
If by obstinate you mean: "Difficult to manage, control or subdue" then I must confess, I actually am 'stubborn'. I know you are used to people listening to you without challenge but I am sorry I just can't accept somethings someone throw at me and expect me to accept it as true without some form of support.

Anyways, in order not to upset you any further I will make this my last post in your thread, after which you can enjoy your thread.

Your request:

Bidam: refer to my post above in which i bold highlighted ur quotes..i gave u five scriptural evidences in acts of the apostles

okay, I have gone through your post again and have decided to humour you with my response.

Bidam: ..or are u blind to those scriptures i quoted..pls go thru them and let it be the basis for our arguements..

I am not blind actually and that is why I know that the "five evidences" you gave are really not evidences that support your claims.

If you don't mind, I took the liberty of pruning the quotes you gave to what is relevant to the discuss. Some were just too long and irrelevant. Thanks!

Evidence 1

Acts 2:1-4

" 2 When the day of Pentecost came, all the believers were gathered together in one place. 2 Suddenly there was a noise from the sky which sounded like a strong wind blowing, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.3 Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire which spread out and touched each person there. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to talk in other languages, as the Spirit enabled them to speak."

Question: Was there any reference to an “initial evidence of the spirit?
Answer: No

Question: Does the passage say every believer should speak in tongues?

Explanation: This portion of sacred scriptures is meant to help us understand how the promise of Jesus to his disciples was fulfilled. Jesus promised his disciples the Holy Spirit who will make them bold and lead them to the truth. This came to fulfillment at Pentecost.

Initial evidence of the spirit: 'Tongues of fire' and speaking in tongues

Evidence 2
Acts 8:5-17 Relevant quote: Acts8:12-17

"12 But when they believed Philip's message about the good news of the Kingdom of God and about Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself also believed; and after being baptized, he stayed close to Philip and was astounded when he saw the great wonders and miracles that were being performed.
14 The apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had received the word of God, so they sent Peter and John to them. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the believers that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For the Holy Spirit had not yet come down on any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit."

Explanation: This passage is meant to teach us the importance of discerning spirits. Not everyone who performs signs and wonders is from God. True miracles are brought about by the spirit of God hence the evidence of miracles performed by Philip.

Initial evidence of the spirit: None recorded. You assumed it is speaking in tongues but your assumption is your personal opinion. Personal opinion is not the same as evidence.

Evidence 3
Acts 9:3-18 Relevant quote: Acts9:17-18

"17 So Ananias went, entered the house where Saul was, and placed his hands on him. “Brother Saul,” he said, “the Lord has sent me—Jesus himself, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here. He sent me so that you might see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 At once something like fish scales fell from Saul's eyes, and he was able to see again. He stood up and was baptized;"

Explanation: This passage showed the conversion of Saul. The passage is quite unique as Jesus decided to use one of the persecutors to do his will for he knew that the testimony of Saul would really go a long way to show that he is the real deal. Just imagine weight of the testimony of a former 'radical' Atheist. Just saying!

[/b]Initial evidence of the spirit:[/b] Healing for Saul. You also assumed that Saul spoke in tongues because he has this gift but this does not show that he spoke in tongues on the day he received the Holy Spirit. This still is your personal view and does not constitute evidence.

None of the 'evidences' examined supports your claim. If you want to follow the trend, you would realize that they are arbitrary and this is because the Spirit cannot be gagged into doing anything. The spirit gives his gifts as he wills. Different gifts are given and the initial evidence is what the spirit says it will be and not necessarily speaking in tongues. The same goes for the last two quotes which I don't think is relevant to talk about.

Bidam: stop going round in circles..thank you!

Th truth is, I seem to go round in circles because you are bent on claiming that your personal opinion about 'initial evidence' and 'every believer should speak in tongues' are scriptural. This is not correct!

So you can now go ahead and enjoy your thread sir without any further 'disturbance' from me.

Hope I am permitted to peep sha grin

Enjoy and have a lovely 'Boxing day'.

3 Likes

Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 26, 2012
Reason Number 8
Paul says in First Corinthians 14:21, ". . . With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people. ..." Paul was saying this in reference to Isaiah 28:11 and 12. And this passage in Isaiah gives us the eighth reason that every Christian should speak in tongues.

ISAIAH 28:11,12
11 For with stammering lips and ANOTHER TONGUE will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said, THIS IS THE REST wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and
THIS IS THE REFRESHING: yet they would not hear.

What is the rest? What is the refreshing? Isaiah 28:11 and 12 says the rest and the refreshing is speaking with other tongues.Sometimes the doctor recommends a rest cure for exhaustion or for some sicknesses. And often when you take a vacation, you have to come home and rest before you go back to work!

But I know the best rest in the world! Isn't it wonderful that we can just take this "rest cure" every day? The Bible says, ". . . This is the rest . . . this is the refreshing . . ." (Isa. 28:12). We need this rest in these days of turmoil, perplexity, and insecurity.

Reason Number 9
The ninth reason we are to pray in tongues is to give thanks to God.

1 CORINTHIANS 14:15-17
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:
I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
16 Else when thou shalt BLESS WITH THE SPIRIT, how shall he that occupieth the room
of the unlearned say Amen at thy GIVING OF THANKS, seeing he under-standeth not
what thou sayest?
17 For thou VERILY GIVEST THANKS WELL, but the other is not edified.

When Paul said, ". . . he that occupieth the room of the unlearned. . . ," he was referring to those who are unlearned in spiritual things.Let me illustrate these verses of Scripture. For example, if you invited me to dinner and said,
"Brother Hagin, please say the 'thanks' for the meal, if I prayed in tongues, you wouldn't know
what I said. You wouldn't be edified.

Therefore, Paul said in a situation such as this, it would be better to pray with the understanding. If I did pray in tongues, I should interpret it so you would know what was said.

Then you could be edified too, for Paul said, ". . . thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified" (1 Cor. 14:17).

In other words, praying in tongues is the best way to give thanks. But in the presence of people who are unlearned, pray also with your understanding so they can be edified. Offering your thanks in your understanding allows people to be edified because then they will understand what you are saying.

Pay special attention to what Paul said in First Corinthians 14:17. He said praying in tongues provides the most perfect way to pray and to give thanks to God. Paul said when you offer thanks in other tongues, ". . . thou verily givest thanks well. . ." (1 Cor. 14:17).

Reason Number 10
The tenth reason why every believer should speak with tongues is found in James 3:8. "But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison." Yielding your tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a big step toward being able to fully yield all of your members to God; for if you can yield your tongue, you can yield any member of your body to God.

Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. God has given us this wonderful spiritual gift to bless us, edify us, and refresh us throughout our lives on this earth. Let's receive what God has provided, and enjoy the benefits of speaking in tongues(culled from HaGIN. "The HOLY SPIRIT AND HIS GIFTS").
Re: Why Believers Should Speak In Tongues by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 26, 2012
striktlymi: Good morning sir,

Temper! temper!!

I guess I sometimes have that effect on people, but really a simple theological discussion is hardly enough reason for tempers to start rising.
If by obstinate [/b]you mean: "Difficult to manage, control or subdue" then I must confess, I actually am 'stubborn'. I know you are used to people listening to you without challenge but I am sorry I just can't accept somethings someone throw at me and expect me to accept it as true without some form of support.

Anyways, in order not to upset you any further I will make this my last post in your thread, after which you can enjoy your thread.

Your request:

okay, I have gone through your post again and have decided to humour you with my response.

I am not blind actually and that is why I know that the "five evidences" you gave are really not evidences that support your claims.

If you don't mind, I took the liberty of pruning the quotes you gave to what is relevant to the discuss. Some were just too long and irrelevant. Thanks!

[b]Evidence 1

Acts 2:1-4

" 2 When the day of Pentecost came, all the believers were gathered together in one place. 2 Suddenly there was a noise from the sky which sounded like a strong wind blowing, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.3 Then they saw what looked like tongues of fire which spread out and touched each person there. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to talk in other languages, as the Spirit enabled them to speak."

Explanation: This portion of sacred scriptures is meant to help us understand how the promise of Jesus to his disciples was fulfilled. Jesus promised his disciples the Holy Spirit who will make them bold and lead them to the truth. This came to fulfillment at Pentecost.

Initial evidence of the spirit: 'Tongues of fire' and speaking in tongues

Evidence 2
Acts 8:5-17 Relevant quote: Acts8:12-17

"12 But when they believed Philip's message about the good news of the Kingdom of God and about Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself also believed; and after being baptized, he stayed close to Philip and was astounded when he saw the great wonders and miracles that were being performed.
14 The apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had received the word of God, so they sent Peter and John to them. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the believers that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For the Holy Spirit had not yet come down on any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit."

Explanation: This passage is meant to teach us the importance of discerning spirits. Not everyone who performs signs and wonders is from God. True miracles are brought about by the spirit of God hence the evidence of miracles performed by Philip.

Initial evidence of the spirit: None recorded. Y[b]ou assumed it is speaking in tongues but your assumption is your personal opinion. Personal opinion is not the same as evidence. [/b]

Evidence 3
Acts 9:3-18 Relevant quote: Acts9:17-18

"17 So Ananias went, entered the house where Saul was, and placed his hands on him. “Brother Saul,” he said, “the Lord has sent me—Jesus himself, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here. He sent me so that you might see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 At once something like fish scales fell from Saul's eyes, and he was able to see again. He stood up and was baptized;"

Question:b]An Was there any reference to an “initial evidence of the spirit?
[swer:[/b] No

Explanation: This passage showed the conversion of Saul. The passage is quite unique as Jesus decided to use one of the persecutors to do his will for he knew that the testimony of Saul would really go a long way to show that he is the real deal. Just imagine weight of the testimony of a former 'radical' Atheist. Just saying!

[/b]Initial evidence of the spirit:[/b] Healing for Saul. You also assumed that Saul spoke in tongues because he has this gift but this does not show that he spoke in tongues on the day he received the Holy Spirit. This still is your personal view and does not constitute evidence.

None of the 'evidences' examined supports your claim. If you want to follow the trend, you would realize that they are arbitrary and this is because the Spirit cannot be gagged into doing anything. The spirit gives his gifts as he wills. Different gifts are given and the initial evidence is what the spirit says it will be and not necessarily speaking in tongues. The same goes for the last two quotes which I don't think is relevant to talk about.

Th truth is, I seem to go round in circles because you are bent on claiming that your personal opinion about 'initial evidence' and 'every believer should speak in tongues' are scriptural. This is not correct!

So you can now go ahead and enjoy your thread sir without any further 'disturbance' from me.

hope I am permitted to peep sha ;[/b]D

Enjoy and have a lovely 'Boxing day'.
i don't understand what u mean by temper sir. do u have a video magic ball at ur disposal? how intresting.effect?you mean on ladies grin by being OBSTINATE I MEANT NOT ALLOWING THE HOLY GHOST TO TEACH YOU.PLS PROVIDE KING JAMES VERSION FOR UR QUOTES. AM OLD FASHION U KNOW.STOP USING OTHER SCRIPTURAL QUOTES THAT LOOKS TWISTED AND HAVE LOST SPIRITUAL SIGNIFICANCE. THESE ARE THE SCRIPTURAL QUOTES ONCE AGAIN...SINCE U RE NOT THE KIND OF GUY THAT LOVES LENGTHY EXPLANATIONS,, I DECIDED TO LIMIT THEM TO THREE SO AS NOT TO BORE U WITH IRRELEVANCE AS U CLAIMED grin,AND OF COS U RE PERMITTED TO EVEN CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD SIR. U RE A BROTHER NA. WHO SAID U RE DISTURBING ME?
[b]Acts 2:1-4

"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place...ALL of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them."

Acts 10:43-46
"While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God."

Acts 19:1-6
"...Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered, 'No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit'...When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied."

In each of these instances the disciples[b] KNEW they had been "clothed with power from on high" according to Luke 24:49, or "filled with the Holy Spirit," (Acts 2:4) because they spoke with other tongues! It must be understood that this impartation by the Spirit to speak in tongues is NOT the "Gift of Tongues!" [/b]POINT OF CORRECTION ayam not gagging any SPIRIT grin AYAM quoting the KJV WORD FOR WORD.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? / How Can One Get Morning Water At The Synagogue Church? / Bishop Oyedepo: "We Employed 6,000 Employees In 2019"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 255
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.