Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports (43178 Views)

Africa's Top 10 Richest Footballers Of All Time / Supersport – Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Football Players / Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 10:55pm On Jan 06, 2013
true2god: Good. My broda i hav had the opportunity of watching both players play. And any person dat started following nigerian football frm, at least 1987, will undertsand. He is the first (or among the 1st nigerians, to giv an element of doubt) to play professional football in europe. At dat time football in not so lucrativ as it is now but they play great football.
Okocha is a great player of course. I consider okocha a good replacement for okwaraji in terms of influence in the team and creativity in the midfield. U can get a clip of nigeria/cameroon final of maroc '88, u wont argue again.

What I asked you is: "What did Okwaraji do that made him great"?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by manfred10(m): 10:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

He wasn't a great footballer.
. You lie
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 11:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
manfred10: You lie

Oya, explain and tell the truth.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by dayokanu(m): 11:05pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Oya, explain and tell the truth.

Okwaraji was one of Nigeria best at the time he was alive.

Maybe if he had lived longer or been in Okochas generation he might have been better. No one can tell

Like we cant say if Pele played in 2012 he might not be better than Messi and vice versa if Messi played in 1960 he might not be a great player
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 11:09pm On Jan 06, 2013
dayokanu:

Okwaraji was one of Nigeria best at the time he was alive.

Maybe if he had lived longer or been in Okochas generation he might have been better. No one can tell

Like we cant say if Pele played in 2012 he might not be better than Messi and vice versa if Messi played in 1960 he might not be a great player

I am not saying he is not one of the best at the time when he was alive. I am asking what he did that made him great.

Martins is one of the best in his time, yet he is not great, and he is miles better than Okwaraji.

Even Oruma was one of the best in the early 2000s. Is he great?

So what makes Okwaraji great?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by adim2(m): 11:17pm On Jan 06, 2013
I know many people might want to criticise my list but i feel this people should have been in the list.
Garba Lawal: was so silent but was instrumental in the nigerian team that when he is not there, you will notice the missing link.
Tunji banjo & leyton orient john chiedozie: the '84 winning team were made possible because of this two people impact. Although chukwu and the rest got the raves but this guys are one of the raw talents nigerians had.
Mutiu Adepoju: certainly on of the best player that has ever wore the green and white jersey. He came from youth team and graduated to a much bigger player.
Yukubu: if osaze, taye taiwo can make the list, i think the third highest nigerian all time scorer should also make the list.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 11:30pm On Jan 06, 2013
Looking at this John Chidozie guys record on Wiki, he does appear to be the real deal for that kind of era.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 11:44pm On Jan 06, 2013
It seems all the Okwaraji enthusiasts cannot defend him so I will go ahead and destroy the sentiments anyway.

OKWARAJI WAS NOT GREAT!

Yes, when he died playing for Nigeria we all felt very sad and had emphathy for someone dying doing something we cherished for the nation.

Yes, he was one of the flambouyant looking and effizzy players of his generation and normally one of the first 5 most people would put on the team list then.

But to say he is great? Cut the crap.

I bet if GEJ's plane crashes now while going to visit some flood victims in some part of Nigeria, Nigerians will all of a sudden change the historical records and say he was a great and caring President.

If you are going to judge a great player amongst a list of players, look at both their national and club contributions.

Club-level: Okwaraji was a nobody. A pure lower league journey man, who was even struggling to get games at his lower league clubs. He just happened to be playing for a nation that was quite mediocre internationally during that period. It was an era where our standard was probably on par with countries like Angola and likes today.

National-level: What is great about a player who could only make the national team at the age of 24? And who did nothing spectacular in the short time he was there? Is it because of 8 SE games (plus another 3 Olympic caps) with one goal that makes a player, doing nothing at club level, great?

So, because someone died, was so-called patriotic because he was comfortable being pissed on by corrupt officials, scored a spectacular goal at one time in the ANC or was showy does not make them great.

If I was to be extremely generous, at best, he was on par with Oruma but I would not be generous. Oruma was a better player. He would even struggle to be compared with Kalu Uche. Maybe he can start from competing with the likes of Thompson Oliha.

Great me arsse! Because he died on the pitch. Nonsense!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by philips70(m): 11:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Shut the fck up! You are an ediot!

I gave you the benefit of doubt and spoke politely to you. But your daft arsse wasted my time.

If you cannot defend your statement why challenge others? Worse still Sagamite? Are you a cretin!

There is nothing more annoying than people that make dogmatic statements they cannot even attempt to defend.

Next time, you and that person should shut the fck up if you know you cannot defend a statement. Keep it to yourself.

Who is this little foolish eediot insulting everyone on Nairaland? If you can't hold arguments without resorting to insults then you must be babysitted to learn a little before coming here. The word "person" is so common in your mouth as if you just heard it. Are you related to Seun that you can't be banned for life for your rants and insults on anyone that dare have a different opinion? Is your life that hard that you must vent anger on all? Take it easy, this 2013 will be better for you. Just believe.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 11:54pm On Jan 06, 2013
philips70:

Who is this little foolish eediot insulting everyone on Nairaland? If you can't hold arguments without resorting to insults then you must be babysitted to learn a little before coming here. The word "person" is so common in your mouth as if you just heard it. Are you related to Seun that you can't be banned for life for your rants and insults on anyone that dare have a different opinion? Is your life that hard that you must vent anger on all? Take it easy, this 2013 will be better for you. Just believe.

You are a person, shut up!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by philips70(m): 12:04am On Jan 07, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person, shut up!

You just need to suck your mother's breast again. You were starved of it maybe after 3 months and it left you so bitter all these years. If you can't find your mum's just grab any closest mad woman on the street and help yourself out of this present predicament. You need it very fast.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 12:12am On Jan 07, 2013
philips70:

You just need to suck your mother's breast again. You were starved of it maybe after 3 months and it left you so bitter all these years. If you can't find your mum's just grab any closest mad woman on the street and help yourself out of this present predicament. You need it very fast.

You need to get your hard smashed with a hammer to destroy the worthless content!

DIY is the best approach. Go and get your hammer.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by philips70(m): 12:39am On Jan 07, 2013
Sagamite:

You need to get your hard smashed with a hammer to destroy the worthless content!

DIY is the best approach. Go and get your hammer.

Ode!!! I guess you thought you the only one on here with hard contents. Silly brainless boy
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 12:56am On Jan 07, 2013
philips70:

Ode!!! I guess you thought you the only one on here with hard contents. Silly brainless boy

You are a person!

Is the hard content the stone in your head? grin
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by emmabest2000(m): 4:12am On Jan 07, 2013
far far far fowl
incomplete indeed
Sam okwaraji is where now ?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by rockbase360: 5:56am On Jan 07, 2013
Needs to be added to the "RIDICULIST".. These people have no clue
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:06am On Jan 07, 2013
dabrake: what of dombraye grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

ROTFLMAO!!!!
grin grin grin grin grin

Siasia fa?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:15am On Jan 07, 2013
Compudoms: What of PERPETUAL NKWOCHA and MERCY AKIDE? Both were not great Nigerian footballers? Those Supersport guys who did the list must have licked 'Gegemu juice' before making it.

You're right jare!!!

Maybe the ladies are FOOTBALLRESSES!

Lol@ Gegemu juice!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Davidson95: 7:50am On Jan 07, 2013
Pls o wat do pple used in measuring greatest in soccer? Wat is d place of Garuba Lawal, a dedicated naija footballer. Som persons are sayn Okwaraji did ntn, for him to slumb death in d field of play is dt nt enof to mention him as bn great? Ah abeg una o
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by philips70(m): 9:40am On Jan 07, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

Is the hard content the stone in your head? grin

Are you always this dull? Is person the only tough word you have in your demented skull? Your teachers must have had a very hard time with you. SMH in shame for you!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by blackmale1: 10:10am On Jan 07, 2013
A very deficient and highly subjective pile,those guys don't know shiit about naija football.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Kassidy90(m): 10:35am On Jan 07, 2013
Yisa shofoluwe name appear twice, d person that compiled the list must be on something *HI*
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by enatuk: 11:08am On Jan 07, 2013
where is mr Garba lawal?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Osgee(m): 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2013
4 me, there r 2 gr8 futballerz Kanu n d rest.
Oya haterz, start.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by MrTAnonymous(m): 1:27pm On Jan 07, 2013
X-factoria:
Taye Taiwo in the list and Chidi Nwanu is not there, this must be a joke!!!!

How many years has Mikel played to be named among the greats
coz,as 4 nw,we can't boast of a good defensive midfielder and dat qualifies him 2 b among dem and he has been doing gud in his club#dooh#.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by olusogo: 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2013
I agree Kanu Nwankwo is a great Nigerian player but he never convinced me as one in the three world cup finals he represented Nigeria. Such is not the characteristics of great players in other countries.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Kgdavid(m): 2:53pm On Jan 07, 2013
wilson oruma has got to be on this list....also surprised yakubu and martins are absent given the fact that agahowa has made the list alongside mikel and even odemwingie. seriously no Taribo West?? Ike Shorunmu? Peter Rufai? never watched Rufai play personally but judging from the old folks opinion he was quite the keeper.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by vislabraye(m): 9:39pm On Jan 07, 2013
Sagamite:

They are on drugs!!!

1. Austin Okocha
2. Rashidi Yekini
3. Nwankwo Kanu

They even had Amuneke above Finidi? undecided I would even have Celestine Babayaro above Amuneke. He should be far higher than where he is at the moment.

The drugs in Nigeria is bad.

I don't think the list is in that order, if not Finidi should be amongst the first three.
BTW Amuneke is very good
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by babyboy3(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2013
The main fact here is that Kanu spent 75% of his time in Europe on the bench or he started from the Bench, Even Babayaro played more minutes than Kanu
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Austyn316(m): 8:28am On Jan 08, 2013
gister3: SuperSports have compiled a list of Nigeria’s 50 greatest football players of all time, the list which includes football greats such as Kanu Nwankwo and Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha is reproduced below.

1. Nwankwo Kanu
2. Austin Okocha
3. Sunday Oliseh
4. Rashidi Yekini
5. Segun Odegbami
6. Stephen Keshi
7. Emmanuel Amuneke
8. Finidi George
9. Christian Chukwu
10. Muda lawal
11. Peter Rufai
12. Daniel Amokachi
13. Taribo West
14. Uche Okechukwu
15. Teslim “Thunder”Balogun
16. Victor Ikpeba
17. Samson Siasia
18. Adokiye Amiesimaka
19. Vincent Enyeama
20. Celestine Babayaro
21. Thomson Usiyan
22. Taiye ‘Taiwo
23. Henry Nwosu
24. Emmanuel Okala
25. Felix Owolabi
26. Haruna Ilerika
27. Joseph Yobo
28. Aloysius Atuegbu
29. Richard Owubokiri
30. Elkanah Onyeali
31. Patrick Ekeji
32. Best Ogedengbe
33. Bright Omokaro
34. Peter Anieke
35. Yisa Shofoluwe
36. Ben Iroha
37. Julius Aghahowa
38. Osaze Odemwingie
39. Albert Onyeawuna
40. Augustine Eguavoen
41. Yisa Shofoluwe
42. Obafemi Martins
43. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
44. Tijani Babangida
45. Tony Igwe
46. John Obi Mikel
47. Sam Garba Okoye
48. Friday Okoh
49. Etim Esin
50. Dan Anyiam
cc:http:///rLwD
Is Taribo West not one of our greatest players? How many Nigerians played for both AC Milan and Inter Milan. At a point Taribo was regarded as the best defender in the world. How can Taiwo make the list and Taribo West is not on it?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by omochefran(m): 8:54am On Jan 08, 2013
please with all due respect i do not think this list is from super sports i believe they can do a better job. whoever is running this nairaland should also have it at the back of his mind that CREDIBILITY is very important so pls verify your sources well well.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by omochefran(m): 8:58am On Jan 08, 2013
baby-boy:
The main fact here is that Kanu spent 75% of his time in Europe on the bench or he started from the Bench, Even Babayaro played more minutes than Kanu
pls !!!!! players are of different category with specific functions i do not expect that u will mention that

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Arsenal Fans Stay At Home As Gunners Faced Frankfurt In Near-Empty Stadium / Mauricio Sarri Tells Victor Moses He Is Not In His Plans, Free To Leave Chelsea / Twitter Users Make Use Of VAR To Make Correct Decisions About Pictures (FUNNY)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.