Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,186 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports (43240 Views)

Africa's Top 10 Richest Footballers Of All Time / Supersport – Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Football Players / Kanu Tops Nigeria's 50 Greatest Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by AjanleKoko: 7:58pm On Jan 06, 2013
TouchDown:

Then how come Arsenal are always seeded in the UCL draws while Ajax are mostly in the 3rd or 4th pot?

Who knows for UEFA oh?
What have Arsenal done with the seeding? That's the question we should be asking tongue grin

To add insult to injury, Chelsea have even won the Champions' League ahead of Arsenal. We should expect City to also achieve that in a few years, while Arsenal, the 'big club' continue to be seeded in the UCL draws cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Jarus(m): 8:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
I agree with No 1-4.

I'm not a big fan of Mikel and I believe he is overrated but I won't put him in no 46. Worst, he should be in 20-25.

Taiye Taiwo's rank is clearly bad judgment. He should be in 30's to 40's.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Ninilowo(m): 8:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
tellwsdom: jide kosoko??

Kolomental grin
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Ninilowo(m): 8:03pm On Jan 06, 2013
kallysky:

what makes you so sure? have you take a good look at:

Dombraye.
Godwin Odiye
Sam Ojebode.
Haruna Ilerika
Dan Anyam
Joe Erico
Mutiu Adepoju
Edobor

Joe Erico ................uh JOGO BONITO EXPONENT.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 06, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Who knows for UEFA oh?
What have Arsenal done with the seeding? That's the question we should be asking tongue grin

To add insult to injury, Chelsea have even won the Champions' League ahead of Arsenal. We should expect City to also achieve that in a few years, while Arsenal, the 'big club' continue to be seeded in the UCL draws cheesy cheesy cheesy

Well, the fact is while Arsenal have been unable to win the prize, they have been one of the most consistent performers in the tournament and also they play in a far more competitive league than Ajax Armsterdam. Come next season, trophyless if you like, Arsenal, if they make UCL, will still be seeded.

Ajax used to be great. Not anymore.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by blocker: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2013
grin Why is it that I don't see SANI KAITA? He won CNN 'play of day'after his attempted double stomp on the greek at 2010 world cup.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by ifebosco: 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
where is mutiu adepoju??
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by dayokanu(m): 8:13pm On Jan 06, 2013
ifebosco: where is mutiu adepoju??

He dey Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Abmalcom(m): 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2013
Yeye list. Where is Ben Iroha and Kunle Awesu of IICC?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by kkkossy(m): 8:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
Where's Sam Okparaji? He should be there too
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 8:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
I would go with:

1. Austin Okocha
2. Rashidi Yekini
3. Nwankwo Kanu
4. Segun Odegbami
5. Finidi George
6. Teslim Balogun
7. Sunday Oliseh
8. Taribo West
9. Muda lawal
10. Stephen Keshi
11. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
12. Celestine Babayaro
13. Uche Okechukwu
14. Peter Rufai
15. Mutiu Adepoju
16. Victor Ikpeba
17. Daniel Amokachi
18. Samson Siasia
19. Emmanuel Amuneke
20. Garba Lawal
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by bendazum: 9:02pm On Jan 06, 2013
Syenite: Where is Samuel Okwaraji?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by chiswaggs: 9:18pm On Jan 06, 2013
There are so many names people have mentioned here. Fact is, there is no list you put up that people will not debate over.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Olaone1: 9:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Iro oh.
Arsenal, trophyless club, big club?
Ajax is a 4-time winner of the Big Ears. They have won their last 3 league titles. Arsenal has not won anything, not even a spoon, in 8 years. In fact, has Arsenal ever won any title in Europe?

It's just like comparing Arsenal, Real Madrid, and AC Milan. Despite that Arsenal has beaten both of them in European competition. Those victories are irrelevant when you lay out the history of Arsenal and compare with those two clubs. Even Arsenal go decline the comparison grin
Yes!

I have to defend my blue-ribbon club. We won Cup Winners Cup - a trophy in Europe!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by kallysky(f): 9:25pm On Jan 06, 2013
chiswaggs: There are so many names people have mentioned here. Fact is, there is no list you put up that people will not debate over.

YOU HAVE ENTITLE TO YOUR PERSONAL OPINION
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Donlouise(m): 9:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
Una comments no go kill person walahi !!!
Bt wait o una sure say na SuperSport get dis list?
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by merlin2oo(m): 9:42pm On Jan 06, 2013
afam4eva:
lol grin

You may be right though. people often confuse the fact that some people have been put in history books because of an event to mean that these people were one of the best eg Abiola etc
why bring abiola into this matter you yeye tribalist,omo yanmirin , ajeokutamamumi, ode

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by raffite: 9:49pm On Jan 06, 2013
[size=14pt]No Samuel Okwaraji?[/size]
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Why is Ikechukwu Uche not in this list? Incomplete List!!!

RASHEDI YEKINI
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Olaone1: 9:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
merlin2oo: why bring abiola into this matter you yeye tribalist,omo yanmirin , ajeokutamamumi, ode

So, because he's Igbo he's not even allowed to write something about MKO? undecided undecided

This IS 2013, man!
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by mbulela: 9:57pm On Jan 06, 2013
I know he did not achieve much but having seen almost every one on that list and thousands more professional footballers of Nigerian origin, i never saw a more complete footballer than Kennedy Okogba. Little known beyond the Nigerian league in the very late 80s and most of the 90s but i still feel a chill recalling his ability on the ball. I never felt such watching the likes of Kanu and Okocha even with all their accolades.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 10:08pm On Jan 06, 2013
Ola one:

So, because he's Igbo he's not even allowed to write something about MKO? undecided undecided

This IS 2013, man!

Well, in 2013, our education system is still in the pigsty. So don't be hopeful on the mentality of the products.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by lakemoyoh: 10:12pm On Jan 06, 2013
Wia is sir garba lawal
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by merlin2oo(m): 10:22pm On Jan 06, 2013
Ola one:

This IS 2013, man!
we are talking football not politics then why not mention,ojukwu or achebe
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by blocker: 10:23pm On Jan 06, 2013
smiley smileyBut seriously I agree Kanu deserves to be number one over okocha for the honours won.At the Nigerian Scene Okocha played for Rangers (88-92)no trophy, Kanu after leaving School in 1991 joined Iwuanyanwu Nationale in 1992, won the Nigerian Premier League in 1993, the same year he won world U-17 gold and joint highest goal scorer with Wilson Oruma.With Ajax he won gold and silver of UEFA Champions League in 1994 and 1995. At Tunisia 94 Okocha won a gold medal.At Atlanta Olympics both Kanu and Okocha won soccer gold. In 1996 and 1999 Kanu won African Player of the year, Okocha came 2nd to 1998 African Player of the year Mustapha Haji of Morrocco and 2nd again to Samuel Etoh in 2004. Again Kanu won the Barclays Premier League with Arsenal in 1999 and an FA cup as well.His Heart foundation has raised millions of pounds and have saved many Nigerian lives. Kanu is clearly the most decorated player in Nigerian soccer history, the only trophy okocha won that kanu didn't was the 1994 Nations cup at Tunis.

angry I diagree with sequence for some of the names such as Oliseh coming before Yekini who if not for anything has scored the highest number of goals for the National team, won the Nations cup of 94, 2nd highest goal scorer behind Maja at Algiers 90, highest goal scorer at Senegal 92, Tunisia 94 and highest goal scorer in the African zone USA 94 world cup qualifying series, Yekini was African player of the year 1993. Oliseh played for the National team for about 8 years (1994-2002) but because of his attitude to representative of the Minister of sports in 2002 he was not allowed to participate in the 2002 world cup. Yekini played for the National team for much longer (1984-1998). Yekini was also the highest goal score for when he was with African Sports of Cote'Ivoire. With a soccer carrear spaning 24 years (1981-2005) Yekini has played professional soccer in Nigeria, Cote Ivoire, Portugal, Switzerland,Greece etc.

Even Victor Ikpeba (1997 African Player of the year)should be counted before Oliseh

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by true2god: 10:34pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

You are really sounding very dumb now and getting on my nerves.

Can you freaking tell us:

What was special about Maroc 88 linking to Okwaraji. And also tell me why Okwaraji was a great player.
Pls stop cursing cos frm ur response u dnt knw sam okwaraji. If u knw him he plays better than okocha but death took him vry fast. U might hav just heard of him. He scored the nigeria's best goal in any tournament (against cameroon in maroc '88, antoine bell was in goal for cameroon, the match ended 1:1).
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by mamagee3(f): 10:35pm On Jan 06, 2013
Nwankwo Kanu is the greatest indeed!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Olaone1: 10:38pm On Jan 06, 2013
mama-gee:

Okay Ma
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
true2god: Pls stop cursing cos frm ur response u dnt knw sam okwaraji. If u knw him he plays better than okocha but death took him vry fast. U might hav just heard of him. He scored the nigeria's best goal in any tournament (against cameroon in maroc '88, antoine bell was in goal for cameroon, the match ended 1:1).

Really? He plays better than Okocha?

As in, really? grin

Okay please educate us how and what are the things he did that made you have so much regard from him.

Today, I have heard that Osondu was better than Messi, so at least I can at least stomach Okwaraji is better than Jay Jay. grin
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Sagamite(m): 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2013
mama-gee:

If you don't agree with me, don't talk. angry tongue
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
Richvkunt: Where is Emma Osigwe?
Where is Alloysius blockbuster Atuegbu?
Where is Moses Otolorin?
Moses Otolorin scored the goals that won IICC shooting stars the defunct Africa Cup winners cup in 1976. He was a goal machine.
Where is Kunle Awesu?
Where is Christian Madu?
Does it mean those who did not play pro football or do not have press men to trumpet their achievements should not be on this list?

Don't mind all these small boys at Supersports compiling list of what they don't know. Look at where they placed Adokiye Amaesimaka, one of the most skillful players in the world in his day. Abeg make I go do betta tin.
Re: Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Footballers Of All Time By Supersports by true2god: 10:53pm On Jan 06, 2013
Sagamite:

Really? He plays better than Okocha?

As in, really? grin

Okay please educate us how and what are the things he did that made you have so much regard from him.

Today, I have heard that Osondu was better than Messi, so at least I can at least stomach Okwaraji is better than Jay Jay. grin
Good. My broda i hav had the opportunity of watching both players play. And any person dat started following nigerian football frm, at least 1987, will undertsand. He is the first (or among the 1st nigerians, to giv an element of doubt) to play professional football in europe. At dat time football in not so lucrativ as it is now but they play great football.
Okocha is a great player of course. I consider okocha a good replacement for okwaraji in terms of influence in the team and creativity in the midfield. U can get a clip of nigeria/cameroon final of maroc '88, u wont argue again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Onaolapo Pulls Pant Off After Commonwealth Win! / Lady Switched Off The TV At A Viewing Center & Got A Slap (Video) / You Are A Shame To The World - Ighalo Blasts Nigerian Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.