Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why (28930 Views)

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time / What Do U Hate About Ur University Graduating Class? / How Much Do Education Students Pay For Teaching Practice In Ur University? - Uniben=5800 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by bendozaUche(m): 3:01am On Sep 25, 2016
Am studyin libary and information sc in one of d federal uni in d south east..in ma finals tho..ma thought process for degree changed wen i went for ma internship..next year i wil b a graduate..believe me i wud be clueless..they always taught us d old library processes buh things ave change..not real books buh electronic information systems..ma gp (3.95)am thinking..wat difference am i gon make in d society..what skills ave i acquired to succed in d wider society..dah adage dah says..turn ur intellect to cash so u wont b a liability to ur self..wat can i offer..i need help.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 6:25am On Sep 25, 2016
bendozaUche:
Am studyin libary and information sc in one of d federal uni in d south east..in ma finals tho..ma thought process for degree changed wen i went for ma internship..next year i wil b a graduate..believe me i wud be clueless..they always taught us d old library processes buh things ave change..not real books buh electronic information systems..ma gp (3.95)am thinking..wat difference am i gon make in d society..what skills ave i acquired to succed in d wider society..dah adage dah says..turn ur intellect to cash so u wont b a liability to ur self..wat can i offer..i need help.
i guess you must be a student of unn?what they're teaching there is simple library science, they added the information science to the name because they were not getting enough students and therefore needed a change of name to deceive unsuspecting students into applying for the program, even the library science they're teaching there is archaic and does not reflect the modern needs and skills needed for the profession. a similar fraud is been perpetuated at the department of archeology and tourism,likely the department of theatre arts and film studies too.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 10:02am On Sep 25, 2016
photoshoot:

grin grin LOL grin

Though, in my 100level, we did a university required course in Computer programming just for a semester. But totally doesn't relate with accounting as we were busy writing codes to build a GP calculator.
GP as in geometric progression? what language was used? it surely has no correlation with your course of study.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kishimi8(m): 10:07am On Sep 25, 2016
dblackninja:

To tell you the truth, Nigerian system of education in the university level is just crappy and won't add any skill for you. It's just a total waste of time unless you are innovative & can think outside the box.

Call an electrical engineering graduate to do some simple alternating wiring and he will burn down your house undecided but call a simple electrician for the job & he will do a neat work.

U mentioned that mech engrs create design & optimize...well I am yet to see a made in Nigeria car, unless am living in pluto, nothing tangible have come from our mech engineers.

Or shall I talk of the botanists that doesn't even know the name of species of plant from just one genus. What he knows is what he heard in the class but bring a cassava leaf for identification, his face will change to-->

What of our electronic engrs, the road side phone and computer repairers are far better than them. They only know how to carry files up and down.

Seriously do you want me to go on? The only thing you know there is: where is 201, 302, 411 lectures holding? & you will run like a goat on heat to grab the front seat & at least get D in the course undecided

Nigerian university education system is just wack...graduate and follow others in file carrying.

Don't know where you got your information that the only thing I know is this?

Seriously do you want me to go on? The only thing you know there is: where is 201, 302, 411 lectures holding? & you will run like a goat on heat to grab the front seat & at least get D in the course undecided

If you were unable to make use of what you were taught in your uni or if u were a victim of lazy lecturers, pls do not add me to your category of person.

I know what I got out of the uni, I know what my lecturers gave me, and I know the value of my education.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kishimi8(m): 10:09am On Sep 25, 2016
bendozaUche:

Bro use the Internet wisely, instead of coming to Nairaland to lament, I'd suggest you grab the free knowledge that is on the net relevant to your field
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by photoshoot(m): 10:54am On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
GP as in geometric progression? what language was used? it surely has no correlation with your course of study.

No not geometric progression...
GP as in grade point...

Yeah, I know right, it doesn't correlelate one bit, I am sure those who even had A's in the course would have forgotten how they did it. In Nigeria universities, we are only taught to forget, that is, for only exam purpose.

A particular lecturer taking me Ecn- macroeconomics: he teaches well though. But when hr gets to a point he says things like "I don't need to teach you this part, I didn't set it as your exam question, you don't need to know it". If we even go further to read up and ask questions about that which he said we do not need in class, the man would flare up and would almost storm out of the class.

Yes, education in Nigeria needs revamp!
I doubt I would even use my degree to work, sometimes I pray I get quick funds to move on with various business ideas I have.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 11:38am On Sep 25, 2016
photoshoot:

No not geometric progression...
GP as in grade point...

Yeah, I know right, it doesn't correlelate one bit, I am sure those who even had A's in the course would have forgotten how they did it. In Nigeria universities, we are only taught to forget, that is, for only exam purpose.

A particular lecturer taking me Ecn- macroeconomics: he teaches well though. But when hr gets to a point he says things like "I don't need to teach you this part, I didn't set it as your exam question, you don't need to know it". If we even go further to read up and ask questions about that which he said we do not need in class, the man would flare up and would almost storm out of the class.

Yes, education in Nigeria needs revamp!
I doubt I would even use my degree to work, sometimes I pray I get quick funds to move on with various business ideas I have.
the man has taught you the one he understood na,this idea of teaching only the part the teacher understands is also rife in our secondary schools is primarily responsible for the poor performance of students.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 11:42am On Sep 25, 2016
kishimi8:

If you were unable to make use of what you were taught in your uni or if u were a victim of lazy lecturers, pls do not add me to your category of person.

I know what I got out of the uni, I know what my lecturers gave me, and I know the value of my education.
my dear,stop using abusive language on people, please tell us your personal opinion on the issue at hand.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 11:48am On Sep 25, 2016
kishimi8:

You should have known that I was generalizing to drive a point home and didn't actually meant you in particular undecided

Do you know why I quoted you? It was because of your statement here:
"and a mech engrs job is not to fix cars pls but to design, create , and optimize . fixing stuff is for technologists. "

Can you create & design a car? Sorry the tire of a car? Even to the lowest standard??
If yes then you learnt something in the uni studying mech eng.. If no, then my brother you went there to read & cram textbook just like everyone else undecided
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:26pm On Sep 25, 2016
dblackninja:

You should have known that I was generalizing to drive a point home and didn't actually meant you in particular undecided

Can you create & design a car? Sorry the tire of a car? Even to the lowest standard??
If yes then you learnt something in the uni studying mech eng.. If no, then my brother you went there to read & cram textbook just like everyone else undecided
LOL,, TKO.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 12:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
LOL,, TKO.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kishimi8(m): 12:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
dblackninja:

First of all I'm not a mech engineer, however even at that put me in a fully equipped mechanical and materials engineering lab, I will whip up a tire and give you all the design specs, and that will be just from what I learnt from strength of materials, and materials /metallurgy classes I took in school, hell I can even do better than that.

As for my electrical engineering I can do more than just designs and produce prototypes that solve real world problems,

Just because we are constrained by lack of equipment and proper funding/grants does not mean what we learn is useless.

Will invite you to my personal lab someday and show you stuff we plan to put in da market next year
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kishimi8(m): 12:34pm On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
my dear,stop using abusive language on people, please tell us your personal opinion on the issue at hand.

Show me abusive language in my post
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 12:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
kishimi8:
As for my electrical engineering I can do more than just designs and produce prototypes that solve real world problems,

You know to avoid going round again, what can you produce & design as an elect..engr? Curious at the bolded grin
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 1:08pm On Sep 25, 2016
kishimi8:

Show me abusive language in my post
saying that someone runs like a goat pn heat is a very decent and complimentary language?until i see your products in the market next year competing favourable against the foreign made ones, I'll advise you to keep your cards close to your chest.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kishimi8(m): 1:58pm On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
saying that someone runs like a goat pn heat is a very decent and complimentary language?until i see your products in the market next year competing favourable against the foreign made ones, I'll advise you to keep your cards close to your chest.

Dude that was not me, I was quoting what dblackninja wrote, asking him how he knows what I know,
dblackninja:

You know to avoid going round again, what can you produce & design as an elect..engr? Curious at the bolded grin

As for my products, they are unique enough to remove my fear of being plagiarized by even the so called white man's superior ish, and I'm not showing him my products rather I'm taking him to my lab lol, why would I show him that kinda sensitive stuff,
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kishimi8(m): 2:01pm On Sep 25, 2016
dblackninja:

As for that, cant answer

So stop killing other people's morale and be positive about your people's capabilities
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 2:25pm On Sep 25, 2016
kishimi8:
As for that, when you read my name in the tabloids or watch me on your TV, you will then get your answers

So stop killing other people's morale and be positive about your people's capabilities

My brother stop being mealy-mouthed and circumventing the question.
What can you create or design as an electrical engineer that graduated from a Nigerian uni?
If what you're claiming to produce is outside the field of elect engr., then you absolutely learnt nothing from school based on your field.

The first thing in wiki about E.E is "Electrical engineers design complex power systems ..."
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Power_plant.jpg
Can you create such^^? (See image below) Heck do you even know the working mechanism of that? I don't think so.

Not to be spiteful but electrical engineering is the most wack course in most uni. Except if you're among the lucky few that there uni offer it with electronics..3ple E.
It's only wires you guys cary up & down looking for the nearest house to burn grin
Hope I haven't stepped on your toe, but you keep proving the OP right. All you have to do is admit it. Most of us here went to the uni you know wink

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 2:32pm On Sep 25, 2016
dblackninja:

My brother stop being mealy-mouthed and circumventing the question.
What can you create or design as an electrical engineer that graduated from a Nigerian uni?
If what you're claiming to produce is outside the field of elect engr., then you absolutely learnt nothing from school based on your field.

The first thing in wiki about E.E is "Electrical engineers design complex power systems ..."

Can you create such^^? Heck do you even know the working mechanism of that?

Not to be spiteful but electrical engineering is the most wack course in most uni. Except if you're among the lucky few that there uni offer it with electronics..3ple E.
It's only wires you guys cary up & down looking for the nearest house to burn grin
Hope I haven't stepped on your toe, but you keep proving the OP right. All you have to do is admit it. Most of us here went to the uni you know wink
i need to learn sarcasm from you.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 2:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
i need to learn sarcasm from you.
Hahaha! LOL cheesy
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by lastpage: 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2016
I just hope this "greedy generation" will stop EQUATING MONEY ......to KNOWLEDGE!
University Education (if you actually applied yourself diligently to it), gives you knowledge

Money is money, .....to buy things and satisfy needs.
KNOWLEDGE is POWER.... it encompasses everything, including Money
Even the Bible asked us to "seek Knowledge" first.

Those who have Knowledge (sound education) will never worry about Money because "Money will keep chasing after them".
Go and look at guys working in places like LNG, Chevron, e.t.c whose earnings are just too embarrassing to mention, legitimate money!

And they do not have to kill or ritualize someone or pirate somebody's work or import fake products or kidnap anyone!

Fools run after Money while the "wise" seek knowledge.... which adds unlimited wealth.

If you see a University graduate who says his Degree is worthless, you have seen a graduate who mostly likely cheated to graduate.

Lastpage!
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by olutosfem(f): 10:10pm On Sep 25, 2016
goingape:
majority of you women here talking it is not a waste is because someone will marry you and put in House or rather will look for someone to marry ya just to put ya poverty on him.

while some will use there yansh to walk there way through.

you women are not feeling it that's why ya is talking The way ya talk.
don't ever generalise OK. I might not be the same with the numerous women you know
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mikolo80: 1:39am On Sep 26, 2016
abouzaid:
that statistic is either false or misleading, over a million people sits for jamb every year in this country.
can you do arithmetic?
We have 25million in primary
5 million or so in secondar
1 million in universities polytechnic and teaches colleges
What is 1 over 25
You're suppose to be educated
Speak like you are
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 5:51am On Sep 26, 2016
mikolo80:
can you do arithmetic?
We have 25million in primary
5 million or so in secondar
1 million in universities polytechnic and teaches colleges
What is 1 over 25
You're suppose to be educated
Speak like you are
i said that over a million applies into the system every year so that means we have millions of them already in the system. learn to speak with diplomacy, you're too insultive and it shows lack of adequate reasoning ability to make your point.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 5:57am On Sep 26, 2016
lastpage:
I just hope this "greedy generation" will stop EQUATING MONEY ......to KNOWLEDGE!
University Education (if you actually applied yourself diligently to it), gives you knowledge

Money is money, .....to buy things and satisfy needs.
KNOWLEDGE is POWER.... it encompasses everything, including Money
Even the Bible asked us to "seek Knowledge" first.

Those who have Knowledge (sound education) will never worry about Money because "Money will keep chasing after them".
Go and look at guys working in places like LNG, Chevron, e.t.c whose earnings are just too embarrassing to mention, legitimate money!

And they do not have to kill or ritualize someone or pirate somebody's work or import fake products or kidnap anyone!

Fools run after Money while the "wise" seek knowledge.... which adds unlimited wealth.

If you see a University graduate who says his Degree is worthless, you have seen a graduate who mostly likely cheated to graduate.

Lastpage!
nobody pays you for what you know but for what problems you can solve for him using your knowledge~Napoleon hill, knowledge is not power but the application of knowledge is power~Napoleon hill. as long Nigerian schools are teaching archaic non applicable theories, many of their graduates would always question the time, money and effort spent there. I'm not in the mood for typing epistles now or i would have given you a more detailed answer.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 6:00am On Sep 26, 2016
olutosfem:
don't ever generalise OK. I might not be the same with the numerous women you know
he said majority, he never said all and both of us knows that he's saying the truth, majority of Nigerian ladies are not serious with their lives and lives an unexamined life especially in the campuses.and at the end of the day, they would start looking for an unfortunate man to dump their poverty and self caused health problems on.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 26, 2016
IamNawty:
awww my dear.. Same thing wit me. I had mad love for that course wen I started, but somehow along d line it faded. Am now in 500lvl and honestly I can't wait to be tru and bide dat boring course bye bye for life!!! Me practice ? Lol . Iffa catch myself in court room eh or doing any yeye practice eh make I knw Wetin cause am.
I want to be an OAP , VJ etc now. As for me.. Studying law is a total waste of time . It's more painful cos I just wasted 5full years of my time

My dear... U spent only 5yrs? Lucky u. I spent 9years for a SIX YEAR course, never had a single Carry over!!! Thanks to ASUU, accreditation; strike, strike, strike!!!. Today I practice my profession, but I make more money from Business and Marketing; Packaging and Branding is one of d areas I focus on.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by IamNawty(f): 9:29am On Sep 26, 2016
NiftyViva:

My dear... U spent only 5yrs? Lucky u. I spent 9years for a SIX YEAR course, never had a single Carry over!!! Thanks to ASUU, accreditation; strike, strike, strike!!!. Today I practice my profession, but I make more money from Business and Marketing; Packaging and Branding is one of d areas I focus on.
awww , I got my admission 2012 too. And am still here bcus of strikes etc
It's frustrating, it's annoying and sad.
Not sure aw ever practice my profession .
Lucky u
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 26, 2016
IamNawty:
awww , I got my admission 2012 too. And am still here bcus of strikes etc
It's frustrating, it's annoying and sad.
Not sure aw ever practice my profession .
Lucky u
My dear... Never say never; just be ur best! I mean... If u get some cool contract to practice, won't u Just pray for d best; God will surely see u thru.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mikolo80: 10:21pm On Sep 27, 2016
abouzaid:
i said that over a million applies into the system every year
I know what you said I just don't know how it correlates with what I said

so that means we have millions of them already in the system.
not only can you hide information from a black man but apparently on Google too
learn to speak with diplomacy, you're too there is fire on our nation's Montane and you think political correctness is what is worrying you
No wonder Ibb said the youth are not ready for leadership
Get your priorities right

insultive and it shows lack of adequate reasoning ability to make your point.
and you better go and learn how to read English
Cos there is a huge difference in tellin someone the truth and calling them an idiota (FYI that's an example of an insult)
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by JoshMedia: 7:12am On Sep 28, 2016
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Pchidexy(m): 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2016
ezra01:

pls I need help, I am a graduate, I am in to teaching now, but I see no future in it...I av capital. but I need a biz to start with..pls watappp me on dis number. let talk more I really need counselling. 08141765883

There is a business side of teaching. If you can do WAEC,NECO and JAMB runs then you ll be fine.

Get students.

Find out schools that are into runs

Register that students at your own price(If the schools charge #25k for each student then you may charge #35k)

Hussle very hard for your students to make it and you will be in money.

This is assuming you are not a good christian!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100% / UNILAG's Ayodele Dada About To Be Evicted From His Home Over Rent / Robbers Invade TASUED Hostels, Rape 4 Students

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76