Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why (28925 Views)

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time / What Do U Hate About Ur University Graduating Class? / How Much Do Education Students Pay For Teaching Practice In Ur University? - Uniben=5800 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
Ugosample:

I gotta say, this is a brilliant post.
except we're yet to see the good students designing and developing cars. as a popular joke would say, any aeroplane built with what we learnt in Nigerian schools won't even take off.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 12:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
bros, please retype and edit for better comprehension,thanks.

I have lots to typed and saved bt I cant post it once, I dont know why. Is dr size limit to a post?:im just not getting something right, I can post few line but more than 2paragraphs wont be posted.......I keep getin error message. Guide a brother pls?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

You don't get it do you? Tell us what Nigeria mech engrs have created or designed. What exactly? And don't tell me about tightening nuts & bolts in faulty machineries [of the cassava milling factory you're working for undecided ]

Thanks young man. There is nothing like "faulty Machineries" but "Faulty Machinery". It is an uncountable now like information (not informations), aircraft (not aircrafts), sheep (not sheeps), equipment (not equipments) etc.

First, I don't work in a cassava milling factory. even though I am working there with a good pay in the recession, thanks to God for the provision of that. Garri is too expensive in this recession now. so, cassava milling factories in this country are making it big with more profit.

I am working with one of Toyota Motor Corporation divisions in Nigeria. We are affiliated to Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan. We deal on all Toyota vehicles including Lexus. Sometimes, we assemble here in Nigeria at the workshop. I work under AC with a demarcated transparent glass , the other side of it we have plasma and the customer lounge.

I hardly use spanners for loosening and tightening bolts and nuts. We use a tyre gum for that which is also known as Rotary Machine.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by allytinted: 12:47pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
they even keep introducing more useless and unrelated courses like to worsen the situation. i just tire for the Nigerian educational system.
You See, I Attended A Federal Agric Uni. And I Can Categorically Tell You That Some Students Did Not Study Any Of Their Main Course Not Until They Got To Their Final Year Of Study And To Think That An Agric Student Would Study For 5 Years In The Uni Is Still Beyond Me. The Whole Educational Sector Needs A Total Revamp If You Ask. Technical Schools Needs To Be Given More Credibility Cos Great Nations Build On Practicals Not Just Copy And Paste Theory Without Verifying What We Were Taught.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:47pm On Sep 24, 2016
kenny1111:

I have lots to typed and saved bt I cant post it once, I dont know why. Is dr size limit to a post?:im just not getting something right, I can post few line but more than 2paragraphs wont be posted.......I keep getin error message. Guide a brother pls?
this website behaves erratically at times, i would advise you to copy what you want to post, then close your browser completely(exit it), open it again and continue browsing afresh.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

Thanks young man. There is nothing like "faulty Machineries" but "Faulty Machinery". It is an uncountable now like information (not informations), aircraft (not aircrafts), sheep (not sheeps), equipment (not equipments) etc.

First, I don't work in a cassava milling factory. even though I am working there with a good pay in the recession, thanks to God for the provision of that. Garri is too expensive in this recession now. so, cassava milling factories in this country are making it big with more profit.

I am working with one of Toyota Motor Corporation divisions in Nigeria. We are affiliated to Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan. We deal on all Toyota vehicles including Lexus. Sometimes, we assemble here in Nigeria at the workshop. I work under AC with a demarcated transparent glass , the other side of it we have plasma and the customer lounge.

I hardly use spanners for loosening and tightening bolts and nuts. We use a tyre gum for that which is also known as Rotary Machine.
please what is the price for a Toyota hilux,i don't mind buying an older model as long as it's brand new.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by MicroBox: 12:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
you're actually making very little sense, why should those companies give you those jobs when they have better trained fellows from places like India, Pakistan, Europe and north America? remember we're talking about the university education system in Nigeria

Those people you mentioned, are the born with the experience or learn it somewhere. ..
Until we know our right else..
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by MicroBox: 12:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
you're actually making very little sense, why should those companies give you those jobs when they have better trained fellows from places like India, Pakistan, Europe and north America? remember we're talking about the university education system in Nigeria

Those people you mentioned, are they born with the experience or learn it somewhere. ..
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:53pm On Sep 24, 2016
allytinted:

You See, I Attended A Federal Agric Uni. And I Can Categorically Tell You That Some Students Did Not Study Any Of Their Main Course Not Until They Got To Their Final Year Of Study And To Think That An Agric Student Would Study For 5 Years In The Uni Is Still Beyond Me. The Whole Educational Sector Needs A Total Revamp If You Ask. Technical Schools Needs To Be Given More Credibility Cos Great Nations Build On Practicals Not Just Copy And Paste Theory Without Verifying What We Were Taught.
do you believe that in some universities abroad, computer science students enrolls in only four courses in a semester, each four units load and highly qualitative and practical oriented, example university of Canterbury.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
MicroBox:

Those people you mentioned, are they born with the experience or learn it somewhere. ..
most white people working in Nigeria graduated from technical schools not universities.they're employed because of their skills not their certificates.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by allytinted: 1:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
except we're yet to see the good students designing and developing cars. as a popular joke would say, any aeroplane built with what we learnt in Nigerian schools won't even take off.
What If I Tell You That Sometime Ago In My University Days, During A Practical Class, The Instructor That Took Us Said Something Which Totally Contradict What We Were Taught In Class Which We Brought To His Attention, You Know What He Said? "What I Told You Here Is The Right Thing, But When It Comes To The Exams, Write What You Were Taught In Class".
Can You Imagine That And I Quite Agree With Him Simply Because He's Always On The Field Unlike The Lazy Lectures Who Just Go Online To Download And Print To Give To Students Without Practical To Know If The Info Is Outdated Or Not.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by allytinted: 1:09pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
do you believe that in some universities abroad, computer science students enrolls in only four courses in a semester, each four units load and highly qualitative and practical oriented, example university of Canterbury.
How Wont The Student Build Up Himself And Also Read Beyond When His Workload Is Light Without Unnecessary Addition Of Useless Courses. We Only Copy The Bad Things From The Whites And Leave Out The Good Ones.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by toye440: 1:09pm On Sep 24, 2016
its good to gain or acquire knowledge, but trust me all u need is to know how to read and write the rest is up to u, like Einstein would say and I qoute "The true sign of intelligence is not
knowledge but imagination."
To buttress my point further I know of one hausa man who took to farming and was successful, he ended up employing MSc holders and contracting doctors and professors, of wch most of them still use Sir even wen older than him.
U can argue with me but trust me our system only breeds crammers I call them superficial learners, too synthetic, its d reason y 90% of core members today can't even write a good official letter, some don't even know how to write cover letters or prepare a résumé. But will u blame then NO!!!! because this students r a product of either an institution that employs quack lecturers or like I said d lecturer himself can't even deliver d msg.
Imagine what Nigeria would be if our parents had allow every child to manifest their talents.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 1:12pm On Sep 24, 2016
allytinted:

What If I Tell You That Sometime Ago In My University Days, During A Practical Class, The Instructor That Took Us Said Something Which Totally Contradict What We Were Taught In Class Which We Brought To His Attention, You Know What He Said? "What I Told You Here Is The Right Thing, But When It Comes To The Exams, Write What You Were Taught In Class".
Can You Imagine That And I Quite Agree With Him Simply Because He's Always On The Field Unlike The Lazy Lectures Who Just Go Online To Download And Print To Give To Students Without Practical To Know If The Info Is Outdated Or Not.
believe it or not, I'm not surprised by your experience.that is a common occurrence in Nigerian higher institutions.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 1:13pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
please what is the price for a Toyota hilux,i don't mind buying an older model as long as it's brand new.

First, I am not in the marketing department. We are not selling second hand cars. I don't think they have older model in the marketing department but I would still confirm for you.

Older model like?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 1:14pm On Sep 24, 2016
toye440:
its good to gain or acquire knowledge, but trust me all u need is to know how to read and write the rest is up to u, like Einstein would say and I qoute "The true sign of intelligence is not
knowledge but imagination."
To buttress my point further I know of one hausa man who took to farming and was successful, he ended up employing MSc holders and contracting doctors and professors, of wch most of them still use Sir even wen older than him.
U can argue with me but trust me our system only breeds crammers I call them superficial learners, too synthetic, its d reason y 90% of core members today can't even write a good official letter, some don't even know how to write cover letters or prepare a résumé. But will u blame then NO!!!! because this students r a product of either an institution that employs quack lecturers or like I said d lecturer himself can't even deliver d msg.
Imagine what Nigeria would be if our parents had allow every child to manifest their talents.
somebody should give this Guy a medal.

2 Likes

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

First, I am not in the marketing department. We are not selling second hand cars. I don't think they have older model in the marketing department but I would still confirm for you.

Older model like?
i meant brand new but older models like from 2012 models downward, double cabin, thanks in advance.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by whitebeard(m): 1:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
cooncudee:
thats y dumb students have the highest gp when they possess high capacity memory to cram and reproduce what the lecturer taught them during exams, I also had a chemistry lecturer that ask questions like "nitrogen is a __________" if u didn't read her handout, u sure kno u failed tha question.
lol.. ;Dthey themselves that don't really understand what they are teaching...in most sch..it is not to read, understand and pass but to cram and pass...I hate it like mad
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 1:22pm On Sep 24, 2016
When I was in school then, one of my lecturers who took us "Synopsis of Motor Vehicle Technology", I used to rate that he was very intelligent then. it was when I got into the field I knew He knows nothing about vehicles but only the theory.

I can't make use of his textbook again because it is rubbish to me. Nothing inside except theory and the theory is lacking not in details.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 1:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
i meant brand new but older models like from 2012 models downward, double cabin, thanks in advance.
. Ok. I will do that. This is weekend. We don't work on weekends
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by butanep(m): 1:26pm On Sep 24, 2016
Dinocarex:
A thread created in the year 2012 making front page after 4 years...!!!

Lesson learnt: Don't give up, Hustle go pay!!!

Boss I tell you... The mata shock me.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 1:28pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:
When I was in school then, one of my lecturers who took us "Synopsis of Motor Vehicle Technology", I used to rate that he was very intelligent then. it was when got into the field I knew He knows nothing about vehicles but only the theory.

I can't make use of his textbook again because it is rubbish to me. Nothing inside except theory and the theory is lacking not in details.
ha ha, you can easily make an a in a course in photogrammetry and aerial photo interpretation without seeing a single aerial photo, same goes for courses in geographic information system. the oil companies would rather give such jobs to foreigners with a good technical school education or previous working experience.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by butanep(m): 1:29pm On Sep 24, 2016
goingape:
majority of you women here talking it is not a waste is because someone will marry you and put in House or rather will look for someone to marry ya just to put ya poverty on him.

while some will use there yansh to walk there way through.

you women are not feeling it that's why ya is talking The way ya talk.

You said the gospel truth. Women sometime don't feel the stress and pains man go through.

They always feel life is a bird of roses that's the reason they keep demanding and when you refused giving then, they tag you as a stingy guy.

2 Likes

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by cee001(m): 1:34pm On Sep 24, 2016
vladimiros:

in germany only 60% of their secondary school grads go to unis, the rest are in technical schools

here we want degree without industrialization
.Naija education system needs serious revamp
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Yosiwealth(m): 1:35pm On Sep 24, 2016

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 1:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

Like seriously?? cheesy Oh my I would have given you 6 strokes of cain for the goof you made by labelling it wrong. My kind sir, machineries is sooo correct as a word. Engineering students have suffered so much in the hands of people on their use of English. Don't add to it biko grin

There's a reason I used [ ] when I mentioned the cassava milling factory. I didn't mean you work there, just insinuating to drive a point but seems am right grin
Now look at the bolded, what are you saying? You don't work there but you are working there angry You are going & coming?? Anyway I gat your gist wink

You just succeeded in telling us that you're a sales man...smh angry And I thought that you're creating & designing screws.

abouzaid you see the benefits this engineer got from his 5 yrs in the university?

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 2:06pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Like seriously?? cheesy Oh my I would have given you 6 strokes of cain for the goof you made by labelling it wrong. My kind sir, machineries is sooo correct as a word. Engineering students have suffered so much in the hands of people on their use of English. Don't add to it biko grin

There's a reason I used [ ] when I mentioned the cassava milling factory. I didn't mean you work there, just insinuating to drive a point but seems am right grin
Now look at the bolded, what are you saying? You don't work there but you are working there angry You are going & coming?? Anyway I gat your gist wink

You just succeeded in telling us that you're a sales man...smh angry And I thought that you're creating & designing screws.

abouzaid you see the benefits this engineer got from his 5 yrs in the university?

First, I am not a salesman because I am not in the sales department.

My work includes maintenance management of vehicles, services, diagnosis, repairs, troubleshooting, assembly, disassembly and using computer to diagnose vehicles and interpret "trouble codes" or "fault codes".

I

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by MhizVeronica(f): 2:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
ednut1:
waste of time. every thing i they taught us could have been learned reading on my own cheesy. we need to revamp our educational system abeg. me still get luck see job.many no dey dat lucky. it is well

smh wat u just said is very wrong
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 2:42pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:
First, I am not a salesman because I am not in the sales department.
My work includes maintenance management of vehicles, services, diagnosis, repairs, troubleshooting, assembly, disassembly and using computer to diagnose vehicles and interpret "trouble codes" or "fault codes".

I see no real difference btw you & a road side mechanic, but I bet you that a road side mechanic will be far more experienced than you in the mechanic work you're rendering cheesy
The only difference I see is that while the road side mechanic be the owner of his company cool , you're working for someone. & I don't think the pay is good else you won't be a "Jack of all trade".
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 24, 2016
Yall still in school and talking shii shouldnt be surprised when you get called to academic panel and be rusticated.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 2:45pm On Sep 24, 2016
MhizVeronica:

smh wat u just said is very wrong

grin Is it his grammar or the point?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Malakh: 2:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
why do we need knowledge of the natural, we need the knowledge to make money, now if you know how to make money without this knowledge go for it, it shows you have wisdom to make money without "their" knowledge, we must understand that the scriptures says knowledge shall increase, we should also understand the glory of Gentiles is this natural knowledge while "our" glory is spiritual, the spiritual will always reign supreme over natural knowledge as a matter of fact that knowledge was given to advance/help the natural man, but all this couldnt have happened if "they" didnt fall, we were sacrificed for the natural riches and knowledge of the world but we shall also succk the breast of the Gentiles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

JAMB Gets 7-days Ultimatum To Release Scripts For Remarking or face the court. / Twitter User Appreciates Her Security Guard Father During Her Graduation / ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.