Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why (28929 Views)

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time / What Do U Hate About Ur University Graduating Class? / How Much Do Education Students Pay For Teaching Practice In Ur University? - Uniben=5800 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 5:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
opemite:
Where are only going to school to collect certificate.I am a programmer,but i never studied programming in any university,i studied biology.so you can see they are not related.learning a skill is far, far, beyond the four wall of a university.

Nice one..and absolute truth!
Even our medical doctors that have a special school (in the sense of med school) are still not professionals.
Most of them just have knowledge in general medicine and are not surgeons.
Our surgeons got their skills by studying outside the country.
The only thing most of them know is to prescribe a long sheet of medication even before you finish narrating your ailment with that yeye handwriting cheesy
That's the only skill they got which is not even their job but the job of a pharmacist.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 6:00pm On Sep 24, 2016
I think I have tried here. This thread might even make me create my very first thread here in NL on some steps to succeed and make money online.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Temitoppe(m): 6:10pm On Sep 24, 2016
what I will just say is that university is over rated in Nigeria
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by IamNawty(f): 6:14pm On Sep 24, 2016
mysticgal:
My law degree is a waste of not only Time but energy.
As I have passion for radio talks and catering. undecided
awww my dear.. Same thing wit me. I had mad love for that course wen I started, but somehow along d line it faded. Am now in 500lvl and honestly I can't wait to be tru and bide dat boring course bye bye for life!!! Me practice ? Lol . Iffa catch myself in court room eh or doing any yeye practice eh make I knw Wetin cause am.
I want to be an OAP , VJ etc now. As for me.. Studying law is a total waste of time . It's more painful cos I just wasted 5full years of my time

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 6:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Can you splice genes sir
if i hear?let him synthesize paracetamol first.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 24, 2016
Caracta:
My degree is not a waste. I learnt beyond the lectures and tutorials. I didn't limit myself to the 'classroom experience.' It was a life experience for me.
it is call the pain avoidance bias (take hart) but still it a great thing that u didn't go to school just for degree
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
that's mostly true,its annoying really,when we go through some of these foreign syllabus and you shake your head..but we still go there and beat them...we are just naturally good,but lack decent exposure to compete...that's why as painful as it may sound...a lot of Nigerians will never attain their intellectual height if they remain in this country.Note...they may be rich,popular and the likes,but they cognitive reasoning will be limited
you have a point, but what u just said is not entirely true
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by usedcardealerph(m): 7:59pm On Sep 24, 2016
I learned more in the streets than in the classroom/lecture hall. #RealLife
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
this website behaves erratically at times, i would advise you to copy what you want to post, then close your browser completely(exit it), open it again and continue browsing afresh.

Ok bro, I will do ds soon.....its binba busybday, I just read ds now
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by lastpage: 8:47pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
you're right but in reality, many people still practice this in this fields without the paper certificates by using other peoples certificate, for example, my mums family are heavily into importation of pharmaceuticals for about two decades now using a relative who is a pharmacist but knows nothing about the pharmaceuticals trading business as a cover, the pharmacist in use is a church rat compared to them and he can't do shit because there's always another pharmacist who would provide the same cover at the same price, a young Guy that apprenticed under the traders actually have more hope of making it more in life than the pharmacist. now deal with that.

@bolded

That is the classic definition of A QUACK!

Hanging the Certificate of a pharmacist in her shop does not make your Mum a pharmacist, please! shocked shocked angry
This is one of the problems with Nigeria, too many QUACKS impersonating Professionals.

You may care to know that of she tries that in one of those sane countries that she is importing drugs from, she would be in jail faster than she can call Panadol. undecided undecided undecided

The Pharmaceutical Council of Nigeria (PCN) has been having a running battle with these sort of QUACKS for some time now

The problem with most Nigerian is that they "confuse" HAVING MONEY, with KNOWLEDGE!
Any fool can stumble on Money, steal Money, do Yahoo-Yahoo to get Money, Sing to get Money, Loot treasury to get Money, e.t.c.... especially in a corrupt society like Nigeria.
But it takes TIME, EFFORT, INTELLIGENCE, PATIENCE and DEDICATION to STUDY and ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE.
Not everyone can muster those qualities.

That is why they say " A fool and his Money is soon parted". undecided

Infact, this thread has revealed a lot about those Nigerians who are academic failure, who in turn want ot encourage others ot be like them, as a sort of consolation.

Let me remind us that the Vice President of Nigeria is a Professor of Law, A Vice President and a Multi-Millionaire before even becoming a Vice President.

Can your Quack, fake Drug Seller (who is also a millionaire) compare with him?

Chill biiko.

Lastpage!
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by lastpage: 8:53pm On Sep 24, 2016
IamNawty:
awww my dear.. Same thing wit me. I had mad love for that course wen I started, but somehow along d line it faded. Am now in 500lvl and honestly I can't wait to be tru and bide dat boring course bye bye for life!!! Me practice ? Lol . Iffa catch myself in court room eh or doing any yeye practice eh make I knw Wetin cause am.
I want to be an OAP , VJ etc now. As for me.. Studying law is a total waste of time . It's more painful cos I just wasted 5full years of my time

The fact that you are still waiting to FINISH the Course and get the DEGREE shows that you know how valuable it is bit you are just not able to apply yourself to really EXCEL in it.

Infact, if it is a waste, why dont you just drop-out NOW..... and stop WASTING the more?

I can bet you are graduating with an "Ordinary Pass" or a third-Class at best.

MEDIOCRES!......... keep at it, there is safety in numbers
undecided undecided

Lastpage!
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by lastpage: 8:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
IamNawty:

The fact that you are still waiting to FINISH the Course and get the DEGREE shows that you know how valuable it is bit you are just not able to apply yourself to really EXCEL in it.

Infact, if it is a waste, why dont you just drop-out NOW..... and stop WASTING the more?
No point in wasting five years, just to become a "Charge and Bail" Lawyer! grin

undecided undecided

Lastpage!

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Rick9(m): 9:04pm On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
any aeroplane built with what we learnt in Nigerian schools won't even take off.
take off ?, E no go even start
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by IamNawty(f): 9:12pm On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

undecided undecided

Lastpage!
[size=28pt] k [/size]

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by babyfaceafrica: 9:43pm On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

undecided undecided

Lastpage!
seun was one of the best elect elect student in OAU,one of the brightest in the faculty,when he saw the charade,he pulled a bill gates on them....can you see the result now?....where are all his peers that got first class?..

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by jimmy2smut: 11:09pm On Sep 24, 2016
Caracta:
My degree is not a waste. I learnt beyond the lectures and tutorials. I didn't limit myself to the 'classroom experience.' It was a life experience for me.
Any cert is not a waste once you don't limit yourself to just 4corners of d schl's education cos learning never stops
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 11:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

@bolded

That is the classic definition of A QUACK!

Hanging the Certificate of a pharmacist in her shop does not make your Mum a pharmacist, please! shocked shocked angry
This is one of the problems with Nigeria, too many QUACKS impersonating Professionals.

You may care to know that of she tries that in one of those sane countries that she is importing drugs from, she would be in jail faster than she can call Panadol. undecided undecided undecided

The Pharmaceutical Council of Nigeria (PCN) has been having a running battle with these sort of QUACKS for some time now

The problem with most Nigerian is that they "confuse" HAVING MONEY, with KNOWLEDGE!
Any fool can stumble on Money, steal Money, do Yahoo-Yahoo to get Money, Sing to get Money, Loot treasury to get Money, e.t.c.... especially in a corrupt society like Nigeria.
But it takes TIME, EFFORT, INTELLIGENCE, PATIENCE and DEDICATION to STUDY and ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE.
Not everyone can muster those qualities.

That is why they say " A fool and his Money is soon parted". undecided

Infact, this thread has revealed a lot about those Nigerians who are academic failure, who in turn want ot encourage others ot be like them, as a sort of consolation.

Let me remind us that the Vice President of Nigeria is a Professor of Law, A Vice President and a Multi-Millionaire before even becoming a Vice President.

Can your Quack, fake Drug Seller (who is also a millionaire) compare with him?

Chill biiko.

Lastpage!
they are into importation not dispensing or retailing, the manufacturing companies abroad must be certified by nafdac,the imports subjected to both regular and random tests etc,what they're doing is 100% legal in any country, they make use of a pharmacist and obey all prevailing laws, if I'm to follow your thinking, then only pharmacists would own any nafdac license even for the production of sachet water but the truth is that anybody can get those licenses by following laid down laws and procedures. let me give you an anology using building, most contractors in the USA actually design their houses, but they would a certain amount to an architect or certified building designer or employ one in their company to look through it and place their seals on it in order to get building approval,thus you can actually own a design and build company without actually been an architect or engineer. in most places, most classes of simple buildings might be approved without those seals.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by photoshoot(m): 11:44pm On Sep 24, 2016
Yosiwealth:
my parents should probably never see this.... to me university is a big waste of time. I'm in my third year, buh school for me stopped since 200lvl.

What do you do? I mean you must have something you rely solely on for you to say schooling stopped since then.

And I quite agree with your view.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:57am On Sep 25, 2016
photoshoot:

What do you do? I mean you must have something you rely solely on for you to say schooling stopped since then.

And I quite agree with your view.
it might mean something else, in many Nigerian university departments, you actually learn the same thing from your second year to your final year, they would just be rehashing almost the same material and even assignments.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by photoshoot(m): 1:09am On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
it might mean something else, in many Nigerian university departments, you actually learn the same thing from your second year to your final year, they would just be rehashing almost the same material and even assignments.

Lol, very true, for someone like me in department of accounting. My lecture is still what my dad learnt when he was studying like me as well. Plus so many irrelevant courses. Left to me,4years programme would conveniently run for a year if all is done well.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 1:28am On Sep 25, 2016
photoshoot:

Lol, very true, for someone like me in department of accounting. My lecture is still what my dad learnt when he was studying like me as well. Plus so many irrelevant courses. Left to me,4years programme would conveniently run for a year if all is done well.
i honestly share your views, check out the course outline for most universities abroad and you would realise just how backward the system is,you would likely not even get enough computer/management information system practicals to be much useful to an employer upon graduation or setup a business of your own right away, that's why many white people with technical certificates are stealing jobs from us in this country with their skills.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mikolo80: 1:31am On Sep 25, 2016
vladimiros:
I blame the idiotic nigerian parents for believing in this hype

in germany only 60% of their secondary school grads go to unis, the rest are in technical schools

here we want degree without industrialization
only about 16%of Nigerians go to unis so what's your point.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mikolo80: 1:32am On Sep 25, 2016
0lumide:
For me, I believe it's a waste of money and time!!

The current form academics is for those with the biggest memory space in their heads not those who actually want to be practical with what they learnt in school.

Imagine having only 12 courses in Economics and being forced by the University's rule to take 30 other different courses. It's all about the money not about education anymore.

I could have finished studying economics in 1 year but because schools want more money, you are forced to stay in school for 3 extra years of electives. Ain't that some shiit?

Many of the "mechanical" engineers have no dream of nursing a mechanical project that will justify their interest in studying mechanical engineering. Many mechanical engineers don't know shiit about motor engines than the 17 years old road side mechanic's son who is an apprentice in his dad's shop. That says alot about going to pay millions for some theory oriented academia.
clearly you don't know what universities are all about.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Doyin400l(m): 1:39am On Sep 25, 2016
I didn't regret going to the University . Education is light.

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by FrankAwsome: 1:53am On Sep 25, 2016
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by photoshoot(m): 2:05am On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
i honestly share your views, check out the course outline for most universities abroad and you would realise just how backward the system is,you would likely not even get enough computer/management information system practicals to be much useful to an employer upon graduation or setup a business of your own right away, that's why many white people with technical certificates are stealing jobs from us in this country with their skills.

Management information system practical?? For where....
Sad fact is, it doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon, or improvement...
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 2:07am On Sep 25, 2016
photoshoot:

Management information system practical?? For where....
Sad fact is, it doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon, or improvement...
not even simple Microsoft excel programming?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 2:10am On Sep 25, 2016
mikolo80:
only about 16%of Nigerians go to unis so what's your point.
that statistic is either false or misleading, over a million people sits for jamb every year in this country.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by photoshoot(m): 2:11am On Sep 25, 2016
abouzaid:
not even simple Microsoft excel programming?

grin grin LOL grin

Though, in my 100level, we did a university required course in Computer programming just for a semester. But totally doesn't relate with accounting as we were busy writing codes to build a GP calculator.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100% / UNILAG's Ayodele Dada About To Be Evicted From His Home Over Rent / Robbers Invade TASUED Hostels, Rape 4 Students

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66