Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why (28936 Views)

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time / What Do U Hate About Ur University Graduating Class? / How Much Do Education Students Pay For Teaching Practice In Ur University? - Uniben=5800 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by SIRTee15: 2:59pm On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

It is usually the "failures" that condemn it.

Will you ever see an Engineer in Chevron or LNG say his University Education is a waste?

Successful people will highlight the "deficient areas of our curricula" but the failures will say "it is a waste".
Ofcourse, "who will the Fly take side with, if not the man with a sore"? grin grin - Yoruba proverb

Lastpage!

education is not definitely a waste.....
but the truth remains our higher education curriculum needs to be seriously reviewed.....

Now, universities are meant to focus on high level technology that has more to do with creativity, innovation, critical thinking, scientific discovery, research and development.

low and medium level technology is about practical hands-on, skill acquisition n vocational training, these are meant to be taught in technical colleges, institute of technology etc.........
Thus, learning is meant for university while training is for colleges, polytechnic etc

Nigeria is a developing economy and the kind of jobs it can attract are mainly ones that require low and medium level technology and this is where the problem lies.......
The Nigerian graduate is not trained to function at this level of technology.........
the Nigerian graduate is largely unskilled n untrained, all he has is a certificate. unfortunately, the system gas no use for this........

Therefore, the Nigerian educational system should focus on developing capacity building on low to medium level technology to enhance industrial production and capacity through production of skilled and trained workforce.........
This should be the bedrock of our development.....

Low and medium level technology is what is needed to operate simple n complex machines in factories; establish low and intermediate scale manufacturing; production of consumer n household goods; produce basic pharmaceutical; engage in shipbuilding and steel manufacturing; electronic n car assembling plants; solar technology; produce skilled technician that can construct roads, bridges, tunnels, skyscrapers; establish a vibrant textile industry that can compete against foreign imports; modernise our agriculture esp in the area of irrigation, storage n preservation, mechanization; training quality artisans that not only replicate but also add value to jobs given to them; development of the value chain in our industrial sector......
we also don't need graduates to work in majority of jobs available in our service sector........
if the job is not highly specialized requiring specific skills, then a diploma certificate holder will suffice.
and our technical institutions can be responsible for that.......

govt needs to revive our comatose technical institutions scattered all over the country, they should be adequately funded n their curriculum be structured to fit the need of our present economy.

skill acquisition n practical learning should be the bedrock of these institute and industrial training should be introduced right from year one.
there should be less of classroom learning n more of work experience.
courses that has no practical basis should not be offered in these schools, there's really no point.

90% of our teeming youths seeking higher education qualification should be encouraged to attend these schools as this is what the country need right now.

entry into main university should be cut down to less than 10% of its present number. the country do not need so many graduates right now.......
what it has managed to do is breed a bunch of frustrated graduates as evidenced by comments in this thread......

let's do this and watch as our nation become an industrial giant 10 yrs after its implementation......
This is the model in Germany n that is why they are immune to the recession nonsense in Europe.......

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 3:00pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

I see no real difference btw you & a road side mechanic, but I bet you that a road side mechanic will be far more experienced than you in the mechanic work you're rendering cheesy
The only difference I see is that while the road side mechanic may be the owner of his company cool , you're working for someone. & I don't think the pay is good hence you won't be a "Jack of all trade".

Hahaha, u have no fact. You are full with animosity. I have seen a lot of road mechanics. The kind of machines or equipment I am expose to don't have a dine of knowledge of them.

There are some cars they can't work on.
When I talk, they listen attentively.

When I want to start my own company, I will have it in big way. I do professional home services for the rich at my own leisure time.
people like you can't service or repairs their cars I where I work because you are clouded with poor mentality. Your expressions are full with animosity.
I have worked with top government functionaries young man.

Let me just mention a few here, Elizade Motors, Coshari, Larrel Shittu Motors, Kojo Motors etc. You can't service your car in any of the above. You don't even have a car. The company has five branches in Nigeria and I am in the Abuja branch.
Go and do research about Toyota Motor Corporation divisions in Nigeria

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 3:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

I see no real difference btw you & a road side mechanic, but I bet you that a road side mechanic will be far more experienced than you in the mechanic work you're rendering cheesy
The only difference I see is that while the road side mechanic be the owner of his company cool , you're working for someone. & I don't think the pay is good else you won't be a "Jack of all trade".

English
Etymology
From French machinerie (“machinery”), from
machine (“machine”); see machine.
Pronunciation
enPR : mə-shē'nə-rē, IPA ( key) : /məˈʃiːnəɹi/
Rhymes: -iːnəɹi
Audio (US) ( file )
Noun
machinery ( countable and uncountable, plural
machinery )
1. The machines constituting a production apparatus, in a plant etc., collectively.
2. The working parts of a machine as a group.
3. The collective parts of something which allow it to function.
4. ( figuratively) The literary devices used in a work, notably for dramatic effect
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Like seriously?? cheesy Oh my I would have given you 6 strokes of cain for the goof you made by labelling it wrong. My kind sir, machineries is sooo correct as a word. Engineering students have suffered so much in the hands of people on their use of English. Don't add to it biko grin
English
Etymology
Pronunciation
Audio (US) ( file )
Noun
machinery )
1. The machines constituting a production apparatus, in a plant etc., collectively.
4. ( figuratively) The literary devices used in a work, notably for dramatic effect.

I repeat, there is nothing like machineries young man.

I stand to be corrected here. So you think all Engineers do know English. Sorry, you have meant the wrong one

There's a reason I used [ ] when I mentioned the cassava milling factory. I didn't mean you work there, just insinuating to drive a point but seems am right grin
Now look at the bolded, what are you saying? You don't work there but you are working there angry You are going & coming?? Anyway I gat your gist wink

You just succeeded in telling us that you're a sales man...smh angry And I thought that you're creating & designing screws.

abouzaid you see the benefits this engineer got from his 5 yrs in the university?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kaboninc(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2016
mysticgal:
My law degree is a waste of not only Time but energy.
As I have passion for radio talks and catering. undecided

No knowledge is a waste...not even a Law Degree for that matter. You would need it handy someday.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mysticgal(f): 3:12pm On Sep 24, 2016
kaboninc:

No knowledge is a waste...not even a Law Degree for that matter. You would need it handy someday.
Ok undecided
Did Mr hattss contact you? smiley
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kaboninc(m): 3:14pm On Sep 24, 2016
mysticgal:

Nope...

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by MhizVeronica(f): 3:18pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

grin Is it his grammar or the point?

his point
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 3:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

Hahaha, u have no fact. You are full with animosity. I have seen a lot of road mechanics. The kind of machines or equipment I am expose to don't have a dine of knowledge of them.

There are some cars they can't work on.
When I talk, they listen attentively.

When I want to start my own company, I will have it in big way. I do professional home services for the rich at my own leisure time.
people like you can't service or repairs their cars I where I work because you are clouded with poor mentality. Your expressions are full with animosity.
I have worked with top government functionaries young man.
Aah aah! Why sir? I bear no acrimony against you my good sir. This is just about our Nigerian university educational system being a waste of time or not. Open your company & I will surely patronize you if am close by cool

Until you become innovative, I can't rate you above a road side mechanic. You might be educated, but he has the experience and can source for solution with his critical thinking when a dire problem arises unlike you that will be consulting a textbook grin
Let me just mention a few here, Elizade Motors, Coshari, Larrel Shittu Motors, Kojo Motors etc. You can't service your car in any of the above. You don't even have a car. The company has five branches in Nigeria and I am in the Abuja branch.
Go and do research about Toyota Motor Corporation divisions in Nigeria

Oh good. Just that I was shocked that you, a mechanical engineer working with a car company is also working with a garri factory cheesy

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 3:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
SIRTee15:

education is not definitely a waste.....
but the truth remains our higher education curriculum needs to be seriously reviewed.....

Now, universities are meant to focus on high level technology that has more to do with creativity, innovation, critical thinking, scientific discovery, research and development.

low and medium level technology is about practical hands-on, skill acquisition n vocational training, these are meant to be taught in technical colleges, institute of technology etc.........
Thus, learning is meant for university while training is for colleges, polytechnic etc

Nigeria is a developing economy and the kind of jobs it can attract are mainly ones that require low and medium level technology and this is where the problem lies.......
The Nigerian graduate is not trained to function at this level of technology.........
the Nigerian graduate is largely unskilled n untrained, all he has is a certificate. unfortunately, the system gas no use for this........

Therefore, the Nigerian educational system should focus on developing capacity building on low to medium level technology to enhance industrial production and capacity through production of skilled and trained workforce.........
This should be the bedrock of our development.....

Low and medium level technology is what is needed to operate simple n complex machines in factories; establish low and intermediate scale manufacturing; production of consumer n household goods; produce basic pharmaceutical; engage in shipbuilding and steel manufacturing; electronic n car assembling plants; solar technology; produce skilled technician that can construct roads, bridges, tunnels, skyscrapers; establish a vibrant textile industry that can compete against foreign imports; modernise our agriculture esp in the area of irrigation, storage n preservation, mechanization; training quality artisans that not only replicate but also add value to jobs given to them; development of the value chain in our industrial sector......
we also don't need graduates to work in majority of jobs available in our service sector........
if the job is not highly specialized requiring specific skills, then a diploma certificate holder will suffice.
and our technical institutions can be responsible for that.......

govt needs to revive our comatose technical institutions scattered all over the country, they should be adequately funded n their curriculum be structured to fit the need of our present economy.

skill acquisition n practical learning should be the bedrock of these institute and industrial training should be introduced right from year one.
there should be less of classroom learning n more of work experience.
courses that has no practical basis should not be offered in these schools, there's really no point.

90% of our teeming youths seeking higher education qualification should be encouraged to attend these schools as this is what the country need right now.

entry into main university should be cut down to less than 10% of its present number. the country do not need so many graduates right now.......
what it has managed to do is breed a bunch of frustrated graduates as evidenced by comments in this thread......

let's do this and watch as our nation become an industrial giant 10 yrs after its implementation......
This is the model in Germany n that is why they are immune to the recession nonsense in Europe.......

you're too good to be a Nigerian. i salute you.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 3:27pm On Sep 24, 2016
MhizVeronica:

his point

Okay ooo but why did you say he was wrong?
Are you in the uni?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Aah aah! Why sir? I bear no acrimony against you my good sir. This is just about our Nigerian university educational system being a waste of time or not. Open your company & I will surely patronize you if am close by cool

Until you become innovative, I can't rate you above a road side mechanic. You might be educated, but he has the experience and can source for solution with his critical thinking when a dire problem arises unlike you that will be consulting a textbook.

We have Toyota Manual we consult. We only consult toyota manual when we have complex problems. We deal on latest cars with modern technology.

I have the experience than a roadside mechanic young man. Read my early posts, I have been with them and worked with the roadside mechanics before I rose to this level. For now, with my voluminous experience, they can't dare me because I have the knowledge, experience, theory and I am educated too.

I do diagnose cars for some of them and they pay me well. They can't interpret "fault codes".

Oh good. Just that I was shocked that you, a mechanical engineer working with a car company is also working with a garri factory cheesy
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 24, 2016
how many % of Nigerians degree don help to get job, unemployment n underemployment everywhere the best option is to go for medicine or learn trade or handwork ooooo....dats the way forward ooo
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 3:37pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

English
Etymology
Pronunciation
Audio (US) ( file )
Noun
machinery )
4. ( figuratively) The literary devices used in a work, notably for dramatic effect

Like seriously you want to pursue this path? undecided
By the way, where did you crop out that half baked information?
And what is "countable" doing there?
Your next reply will indicate whether I will give you 6 strokes and then educate you, that's how I do back then.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Like seriously you want to pursue this path? undecided
By the way, where did you crop out that half baked information?
And what is "countable" doing there?
Your next reply will indicate whether I will give you 6 strokes and then educate you, that's how I do back then.

Sir, go and do research about it. I stand to be corrected because nobody is perfect. But on this one, I will beat you hand down.

You have not countered me yet. This is an engineering term especially mechanical engineering as my field.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 3:52pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

We have Toyota Manual we consult. We only consult toyota manual when we have complex problems. We deal on latest cars with modern technology.

Very good. Thanks for admitting that you use textbooks & manuals when faced with complex problems. A road side mechanic will just use his critical thinking to solve the problem easily.

I hope you know that the first person to ever design a mechanical car didn't grab instructions from a book.
I have the experience than a roadside mechanic young man. Read my early posts, I have been with them and worked with the roadside mechanics before I rose to this level. For now, with my voluminous experience, they can't dare me because I have the knowledge, experience, theory and I am educated too.

I do diagnose cars for some of them and they pay me well. They can't interpret "fault codes".
Okay you have worked with a road side mech. Very cool. You have shown us that the university didn't teach you anything, but you got your experience from a roadside mech, then used your cert to get a job. Kudos, now I know you think outside the box wink
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 4:17pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Very good. Thanks for admitting that you use textbooks & manuals when faced with complex problems. A road side mechanic will just use his critical thinking to solve the problem easily.

Don't say what you don't know. We do neat job and that is why we don't touch a customer's car any how. We work with safety and precautions.

There are some vehicles a roadside mechanic can't work on, in this aspect we dwell on more critical thinking than the roadside mechanics. I said we used manual provided by Toyota. Even your phone has manual young man. when purchasing a car, they will give you the car's manual from the manufacturer of that product. Unfortunately, you have not bought one yet.

I hope you know that the first person to ever design a mechanical car didn't grab instructions from a book.

Stop arguing blindly young man, Henry Ford is the first automobile engineer. Go and read his history. Dr. Otto Diesel, go and read his history too. Diesel engine was designed by Dr. Otto Diesel that is where the name "Diesel" was coined from.

Okay you have worked with a road side mech. Very cool. You have shown us that the university didn't teach you anything, but you got your experience from a roadside mech, then used your cert to get a job. Kudos, now I know you think outside the box wink

Sincerely speaking, you are a layman here so you have nothing to offer. Read my first post. You are just arguing blindly.

Which course did you study? let me assess you and know if you have contributed to the society or solved a problem not complex problem. I have contributed to the society and solved complex problems.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 4:26pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

Sir, go and do research about it. I stand to be corrected because nobody is perfect. But on this one, I will beat you hand down.
Okay grin

You have not countered me yet. This is an engineering term especially mechanical engineering as my field.
I gave you every opportunity to correct yourself but you preferred adamancy undecided

Full Definition of machinery
plural machineries
a : machines in general or as a functioning unit
b : the working parts of a machine
: the means or system by which something is kept in action or a desired result is obtained <the machinery of government>
Source http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/machinery

ma·chin·er·y (mə-shē′nə-rē, -shēn′rē)
n. pl. ma·chin·er·ies
1. Machines or machine parts considered as a group.
2. The working parts of a particular machine.
3. A system of related elements that operate in a definable manner: diplomatic and political machinery.
a. A device or means of achieving or effecting a result.
b. A literary device for bringing about an effect, such as a happy ending.

+
machinery (məˈʃiːnərɪ)
n, pl -eries
1. (Mechanical Engineering) machines, machine parts, or machine systems collectively
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a particular machine system or set of machines
3. a system similar to a machine: the machinery of government.
Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/machineries

machinery Translate Button
[muh-shee-nuh-ree]
noun, plural machineries.
an assemblage of machines or mechanical apparatuses:
the machinery of a factory.

the parts of a machine, collectively:
the machinery of a watch.

[b] Source: [/b]http://www.dictionary.com/browse/machineries

Heck do I need to go on? You need to be flogged sir..head's down undecided

Now what do you say to the lecturer for this tutorial?

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 4:33pm On Sep 24, 2016
Karl Ben who invented the first motorcar attended University of Karlsruhe
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 24, 2016
Caracta:
My degree is not a waste. I learnt beyond the lectures and tutorials. I didn't limit myself to the 'classroom experience.' It was a life experience for me.

Okay.

Kunmi
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 4:46pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

Sincerely speaking, you are a layman here so you have nothing to offer. Read my first post. You are just arguing blindly.

Which course did you study? let me assess you and know if you have contributed to the society or solved a problem not complex problem. I have contributed to the society and solved complex problems.

Hahaha I didn't say you haven't contributed to the society or solved problems, neither did I insinuate that sir. I'm just doing a comparison.
Knowing the course I studied wouldn't help anything.
But if you must know it's computer science and I don't even remember I have a degree there cheesy I generate my money fully online sir, without pains, sweat or waisting precious time.
Heck what did I even learn there? Nothing! I left the uni with no programming skills, just loads of textbooks and how to on & shut down a computer cheesy
Nothing tangible angry

I learnt the skills I now have elsewhere and online. It was after I left the uni I realised how I wasted lots of time & money. Nigerian university educational system is just wack angry
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by ednut1(m): 4:48pm On Sep 24, 2016
MhizVeronica:

smh wat u just said is very wrong
truth is bitter, how is it wrong
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 4:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Hahaha I didn't say you haven't contributed to the society or solved problems, neither did I insinuate that sir. I'm just doing a comparison.
But if you must know it's computer science and I don't even remember I have a degree there cheesy I generate my money fully online sir, without pains, sweat or waisting precious time.
Heck what did I even learn there? Nothing! I left the uni with no programming skills, just loads of textbooks and how to on & shut down a computer cheesy
Nothing tangible angry

I learnt the skills I now have elsewhere and online. It was after I left the uni I realised how I wasted lots of time & money. Nigerian university educational system is just wack angry
je he, i keep saying it,studying computer science in a Nigerian school is a very big mistake
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by seamus387(m): 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2016
Been a biochemistry graduate has open my eyes to a lot of thing and hopping to do my MSC in genetic engineering or molecular biology in germany. Am nt loosing hope yet. Going to sch is nt a waste of time 4 me.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 5:07pm On Sep 24, 2016
seamus387:
Been a biochemistry graduate has open my eyes to a lot of thing and hopping to do my MSC in genetic engineering or molecular biology in germany. Am nt loosing hope yet. Going to sch is nt a waste of time 4 me.

Can you splice genes sir
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 5:10pm On Sep 24, 2016
dblackninja:

Nothing tangible angry

Education still helps you in term of reading and writing and to assimilate too during the period you acquired the skills.

Hope you are not doing "Yahoo" or "GEE".
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by OloriAbefe(f): 5:16pm On Sep 24, 2016
Since evry1 gat something(s) to say, I have to say my own too.
To me, It's partially a complete waste of time, if I had known better earlier ehn, I would have gone for one or two professional courses to be informed and updated.
And you wonder y I said partially
Well, that was where I met my beloved husband, and as my mother will always say, she said and I quote "God sent me to that school not because of the cert. but to meet my future husband".
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by EdoBoy90(m): 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
OloriAbefe:
Since evry1 gat something(s) to say, I have to say my own too.
To me, It's partially a complete waste of time, if I had known better earlier ehn, I would have gone for one or two professional courses to be informed and updated.
And you wonder y I said partially
Well, that was where I met my beloved husband, and as my mother will always say, she said and I quote "God sent me to that school not because of the cert. but to meet my future husband".

Hahahah. So u couldn't get one in university then. You didn't search well that was why
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
mysticgal:

Ok undecided
ohhhhh...I weep this is same law degree many av seek relentlessly to acquire... God please allow the devil to send a wasps to sting her in her mouth.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by dblackninja: 5:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
EdoBoy90:

Education still helps you in term of reading and writing and to assimilate too during the period you acquired the skills.

Yeah education is good, but getting the right one is the best. You might probably not get it in the university. Can you mention just one thing ever made that the inventor learnt from the 4 walls of a university? ABSOLUTE NOTHING. is it electricity, bulbs, oracle, pascal, C++, Microsoft tools, linux, cars, clothes, even facebook cheesy

Schooling is good nonetheless, but acquring real skills & being creative is better.
Create and others will teach your stuff in school.
Be a graduate and help the non-graduates in developing their skills grin An irony right?

*But before someone reads this post & decides to drop from school, know that everyone can't be an inventor or the world won't work. Everything must surely be balanced. But aspire to be creative wink

Hope you are not doing "Yahoo" or "GEE".
Yahoo is an email platform & I have an account there.
If you meant duping, that requires time which I don't have.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by opemite: 5:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
Where are only going to school to collect certificate.I am a programmer,but i never studied programming in any university,i studied biology.so you can see they are not related.learning a skill is far, far, beyond the four wall of a university.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Robbers Invade TASUED Hostels, Rape 4 Students / Man Graduates With 4.0CGPA In Masters In USA After Being Mocked By Dad's Friend / SCAM! Dr. Yakubu Nura Did NOT Win Any “World Physics Competition”

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107