Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break (9718 Views)

10 Ways Guys Try And Break You Down So That They Can Sleep With You.. / 6 Common Sense Principles For Singles / Pick-up lines. And Break-up Lines. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by segunsd: 7:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
It is not uncommon to find people resolving to do a lot of things that they don’t usually do in the new year. However, most people break resolutions as fast as they make them. When you ask them, they’ll say “men it’s not easy”. We’ve all been on that road before or similar roads. NaijaPOSE digs deep into common new year resolutions that people make and break and how to avoid breaking such resolutions in 2013.

1. I will not have pre-marital sex this new year
Many sexually-active youths find themselves in a constant toggle between having pre-marital sex and not. They successfully go on three months of sex-sabbatical leave. After that they give up. They nurse suppressed lust and suddenly feel like they need sex, just one more to be mentally alright. They break it and feel guilty and continue breaking to break it for the rest of the year. What happens next, they (the males especially) start to count… 1, 2, 3, 7. Wow!.

Solution: Avoid things that lead you to temptation. Avoid being in enclosed places with people who turn you on. Your hormones will rage but channel your thoughts elsewhere. Distract yourself intentionally when you feel like having sex. Olakunle Soriyan says that “there’s no such thing as a weakness”. What is weak is your mind.

2. I will not smoke or drink this new year
My friends, old habits die hard. The distance between 2012 and 2013 is one second. You were a chain smoker one second and you were hoping to be none in the next second (new year). Well it is very possible. However, it is usually unrealistic. Habits like smoking and drinking hardly leave without a fight.

Solution: As with the pre-marital sex issue, avoid people who make you smoke and take the drinks that you don’t want. It’s hard resisting offers from people you are used to hanging out with. When you feel the urge to do so, step it down. Take a lollipop as opposed to a cigarette. Take a soft drink or fruit juice as opposed to an alcoholic drink. You may also drink water. You need all the determination you can get.

3. I will read more, get more knowledge in the new year
Well as the saying goes, if you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Many times, we say this like this year I will get my masters degree. I will read more. I will study harder. I will read more book. I will get higher grades. I will read more this and that. The year crawls by and you haven’t even added to your knowledge-database. In fact, you are forgetting the things that you learnt last year. This is no good at all (as Jet Li will say).

Solution: What happened was that you allowed yourself to forget the things that you had decided to do. You did not schedule a time or create a reading timetable. You did not request for a transcript talk-less of registering for a Master’s program. In long and short, you did not prepare. You did not insert any of these things you purposed to do into your schedule. Who is to blame? Your boss? Your lecturers? You friends? No. You are to blame. Sort yourself out. Create a schedule. Plan.

4. I will make more money in the new year (Buy car, Build Houses)
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. There’s a difference between a resolution and wishful thinking. To say you will have money in the new year is wishful thinking. There’s a difference between faith and wishful thinking although they run along the same sphere. A lot of people say stuff like “I will buy a range rover jeep in the new year” without having money to get a BMX Bicycle. Well this is not a resolution. The word resolution comes from the word resolve. To resolve means that you have made a mistake and you are giving yourself a chance to re-attempt and correct those mistakes.

Solution: Plan yourself. Calculate how much will be required to buy the car you need. Calculate how much money you want to have in your bank account by the end of the new year. Afterwards, calculate the number of working hours you need to achieve that. Divide the amount of money you need by the amount of time you have. Then find out how much you need to generate every hour to achieve this. How can you find the job or business idea that can generate that amount per hour. Nothing is impossible if you have a strategy.

5. I will get married in the new year
Every year an old unmarried man and a young, single woman resolve to get married. The year trails and then the probability of meeting Mr. or Mrs. Right, talk-less of getting married looks bleak. Very bleak. It is easy to imagine this when you begin to notice the folds around your belly and little bags below your eyes. You are ageing. Yeah. It dawns on you. Your friends drive to your house with their kids and you remember “I need to get married quickly”. However, this does not occur sometimes due to circumstances.

Solution: Don’t give up. If you’ve got a fiancée, then this would be based on your mutual agreements. If you are still single (without a spouse) put on the wife-material undergarment or carry the husband-materials (you know them) with you. (That is entirely another full-length article). Make friends. Be lively. Open your heart. Believe love exists. Not all men or women are bad. Develop a flexible mind. Be less self-centred. Be prayerful. Be financially prepared. Be mentally matured for the ups and downs associated with marriage. You must be ready.

6. I will shed some weight, Eat less in the new year
This is very similar to sex. A lot of people especially those that are overweight or a little above what they will like to weigh say this. Many of these people are addicted to chocolates and lots of other junks that are high in calories. They try but they keep failing.

Solution: Well not so bad. What you require is discipline. Questions you need to ask yourself when you are tempted to down a whole pack of Maltesers; What will it benefit me? Would I die if I don’t eat this now? Is there a more healthy option? You should ask yourself critical questions and decide to stay disciplined. If you’re upset about being too fat or being overweight, then you can explore natural weight-shedding exercises such as the Dukan Diet. The Dukan Diet works, you can google it.

The six most common new year resolutions that are easily broken are centred around sex, bad habits, wealth, materials and attitude. Attitude can be found in everything. It is important to develop a positive mental attitude in order to set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-bound) goals.
What have I left out? I would like to hear from you.

Source: http://naijapose.com/6-common-new-year-resolutions-that-people-make-and-break/

8 Likes

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Prodigee: 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2012
Subscribing...

1 Like

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Prodigee: 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2012
@OP: All the above plus fervent Prayers.
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by segunsd: 8:47pm On Dec 31, 2012
I mentioned prayers too. We all need it. smiley
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by mitchyy(f): 9:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
*sniff sniff*
Nice write up!
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
Am guilty of not praying. I forget most times

But am making another resolution.
So help me GOD grin grin grin
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by TeenageMoney(m): 10:19pm On Dec 31, 2012
also, 'I no go Pursue Woman Again'
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 31, 2012
mitchyy: *sniff sniff*
Nice write up!
why you de sniff? You be dog?

1 Like

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by 2goingcom: 10:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
I no go KISS this year because I so much love it than S*x as I don't s*x even if it is available so cheap.
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:32pm On Dec 31, 2012
brokoto: why you de sniff? You be dog?

I wonder oo
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 31, 2012
undecided mehn, dt nicotine addiction na die ooo. I jez hope 2013 is d yr i finally call it quits :/
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by DonHummer(m): 10:57pm On Dec 31, 2012
i no go drink garri again...ee no good 4 eye...

After 2months

Omo if garri no kill you...hunger go kill you..

1 Like

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by djeezy(m): 10:59pm On Dec 31, 2012
@op, you forgot to add no 7. "I will not self service again". This resolution is one of the most predominant.

8 Likes

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by mitchyy(f): 11:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
2013 resolution. I must not reply every Nairalander
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by mitchyy(f): 11:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
JideTheBlogger:

I wonder oo
*tongue out* Human beings sniff when they are teary jor
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 01, 2013
wink cool
mitchyy:
*tongue out* Human beings sniff when they are teary jor
My new year resolution 2 get a wife, nd I think I'v found her, its U mitchyy!! Am so so happy (tot I'll wait 4 long) cool

1 Like

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by AdeniyiA(m): 1:09am On Jan 01, 2013
every move(resolution) without the Mover's direction leads to frustration
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Ykwtd: 1:23am On Jan 01, 2013
candygosh: Am guilty of not praying. I forget most times

But am making another resolution.
So help me GOD grin grin grin
me too
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by ignis: 1:27am On Jan 01, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
every move(resolution) without the Mover's direction leads to frustration
Hope God is the mover.
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Ndoz(m): 1:29am On Jan 01, 2013
help me ask am
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by segunsd: 1:43am On Jan 01, 2013
mitchyy: *sniff sniff*
Nice write up!

Thanks smiley
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by AdeniyiA(m): 2:33am On Jan 01, 2013
ignis:
Hope God is the mover.
who else but the Almighty
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Goldie20: 4:14am On Jan 01, 2013

grin grin cheesy
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by susan4u(f): 6:48am On Jan 01, 2013
Nic, I rly hope I dnt break any of mine dis year
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by k2039: 7:01am On Jan 01, 2013
[color=soyouquotedme]Certainly most if not all will fail in that resolution, it has nothing to do with a new year.

It's all about your commitment to change and you don't have to wait till the end of the year to change.
[/color]

2 Likes

Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by enigmagu1(m): 7:54am On Jan 01, 2013
[quote author=Teenage Money]also, 'I no go Pursue Woman Again'[/quote

y u bin d pursue them...??
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 01, 2013
Good one poster. I just compiled my resolutions for 2013 and am already scared cos I know I broke all my 2012 resolutions within one month. But I believe I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me. Maybe it's time to apply SMART skills to resolution making and keeping. cool
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by mitchyy(f): 8:11am On Jan 01, 2013
Raymondenyi: wink cool
My new year resolution 2 get a wife, nd I think I'v found her, its U mitchyy!! Am so so happy (tot I'll wait 4 long) cool
Huhhhh? This is 2013 o. Please change. Lol
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by mitchyy(f): 8:13am On Jan 01, 2013
Ndoz: help me ask am
He already did! cheesy
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Cutecharlz(m): 8:14am On Jan 01, 2013
I never had much believe in God from my heart. I didnt pray much and read much books in 2012, and i did some abominable things. Jevohah, thanks for another life opportunity. I wil amend my ways 2013
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 01, 2013
mitchyy:
2013 resolution. I must not reply every Nairalander
you just did tongue. Happy new year!
Re: 6 Common New Year Resolutions That People Make And Break by vanstanzy(m): 9:54am On Jan 01, 2013
One more is; I'll get "Closer to God" this year.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What This Nigerian Girl Posted On Instagram (shocking)! / Why Do Some Women Get Worked Up Whenever A Man Says He Prefers A Virgin? /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.