Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,296 members, 7,811,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? (5375 Views)

Why Are Jehovah Witness Not Given Attention / Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? / Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 10:20pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ymodulus:

Mr man that was what the pope wud tell the public this is what really happened.

WIKILEAKS RELEASED IT. AND VATICAN DENIED.

http://m.guardiannews.com/world/2010/dec/10/wikileaks-pope-turkey-eu-muslim
I think you really need to read the link you posted for full understanding or may be you understood it, but out of you hatred for RCC, you choose to be biased. As a cardinal, Ratzinger was against a muslim nation joining the EU. It was even clearly stated in the link you posted that it was his own personnal opinion. But as a pope... he has changed his stance on that issue. So plz be sure of something before you say it out and dont let your hate blind your jugdement. I really dont know what we all gain by castigating other peoples faith.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by ambrosini593(m): 10:22pm On Jan 01, 2013
plappville:

@OP, did you see this? THE JW ARE NOT THE ONLY eye opened Christians...there many more outside this list. I advise you study your bible with open mind. Similar issues has been discussed recently, take a look.

This thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/plappville
. The churches mentioned above they all celebrating new year. Read the topic of this thread again. It says xmas and new year. It think you JW don't even celebrate anything. Even your own birthday, holidays etc.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 10:27pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ymodulus:

mr have u seen the link to my article ? i didnt lie against the pope so pls next time i will apppreciate it if u ask me for proves before calling me a liar. thanks.
As a pope... He never said nor stopped Turkey from being a member of EU... But when he was a cardinal he expressed his own opinion and not vatican's opinion. Mind you... Vatican has no say on which nation should (not) join the EU... Read that article well and you will see what am saying.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by plappville(f): 10:41pm On Jan 01, 2013
ambrosini593: . The churches mentioned above they all celebrating new year. Read the topic of this thread again. It says xmas and new year. It think you JW don't even celebrate anything. Even your own birthday, holidays etc.

Now ask yourself one question, what exactly is men tradition Jesus and his apostles warns the church to beware of? Does CHristmas, New year, Saints day (Halloween) Easter and even birthday falls in these traditions we are to beware of? But if they are scriptural, this means they are Gods traditions, but if they are not, you should now do yourself good by searching the source of their origin. This may be a good beginning for you. Than thinking JW ARE ON THIER OWN ON THIS ISSUES.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by gst101: 10:43pm On Jan 01, 2013
i am still asking withnesses. What comes to your heart each time you read the biblical passages narrating the birth of jesus? What does the HOLY SPIRIT (if you believe and reverence him at all) tell you when you reas the story of the birth of jesus in the bible.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Ymodulus: 10:44pm On Jan 01, 2013
Rich4god:
I think you really need to read the link you posted for full understanding or may be you understood it, but out of you hatred for RCC, you choose to be biased. As a cardinal, Ratzinger was against a muslim nation joining the EU. It was even clearly stated in the link you posted that it was his own personnal opinion. But as a pope... he has changed his stance on that issue. So plz be sure of something before you say it out and dont let your hate blind your jugdement. I really dont know what we all gain by castigating other peoples faith.

mr i dont hate the catholics. the way CHUKWUDI went against the other group Was wrong.

and on the pope how sure he has? that was a conspiracy on ratzinger.
anyway lets end the talk
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Ymodulus: 10:48pm On Jan 01, 2013
ambrosini593: . The churches mentioned above they all celebrating new year. Read the topic of this thread again. It says xmas and new year. It think you JW don't even celebrate anything. Even your own birthday, holidays etc.

mr mind you am not a witness.

also pls go back and check the above group also dont clbrate new year
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by gst101: 11:00pm On Jan 01, 2013
one of the reasons god created day an night is do that the day can "show time for religious festivals" these are not my words but the word of god in genesis when he was creating the world. So for any one to come up and tell me not to celebrate any religious festival is totally out of what god wants.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by DANILSA(m): 11:01pm On Jan 01, 2013
gst101: i am still asking withnesses. What comes to your heart each time you read the biblical passages narrating the birth of jesus? What does the HOLY SPIRIT (if you believe and reverence him at all) tell you when you reas the story of the birth of jesus in the bible.
how he died for our sins and how we can remember his death.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 11:03pm On Jan 01, 2013
plappville:

Now ask yourself one question, what exactly is men tradition Jesus and his apostles warns the church to beware of? Does CHristmas (1) , New year (2) , Saints day (Halloween)(3), Easter (4), and even birthday (5) falls in these traditions we are to beware of? But if they are scriptural, this means they are Gods traditions, but if they are not, you should now do yourself good by searching the source of their origin. This may be a good beginning for you. Than thinking JW ARE ON THIER OWN ON THIS ISSUES.
[s]Sorry i have to add to your thread to make it easy fo me.[/s]
@1... We rejoice on this day for our saviour came into the world to redeem us. It could be any other day. Mind you that there are some orthordox churches that are in full communion with the RCC that celebrates theirs on 7th Jan(not sure if am right with the date)
@2... We give thanks to God every day/minute/hour/seconds. We dont celebrate new year, but we give thanks to God for giving us the grace to see another year. For the catholics, there is a Solemnity that we celebrate on 1st january, even the new year it at the background. But am not saying that we (catholics) dont recognise (rejoice in)the new year.
@3... We have nothing to do with Halloween. We observe all saints day, a day catholics/orthordox churches honor those who have made it to eternal by their way of life. Mind you, there is no specific person or people, its covers everyone that lead a good life.
@4.... The ressurection of our Lord.
@5... This is more of a social thing, but in christian perspective, there is nothing bad in given thanks to God for adding one year to your. Mind you, we thank God for life everyday, but on this day, if you go for thanksgiving and say God i thank you for making me a year older, i didnt see anything bad in it.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 11:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ymodulus:

mr i dont hate the catholics. the way CHUKWUDI went against the other group Was wrong.

and on the pope how sure he has? that was a conspiracy on ratzinger.
anyway lets end the talk
The Pope has reversed his opposition to Turkey's efforts to join the EU, appearing to back the overwhelmingly Muslim country's hard-fought push towards membership at the start of his visit.The Pope had expressed hope that Turkey would join the EU. A papal spokesman later clarified the remarks, saying the Pope had told the Turkish leader the Vatican did not have the power to intervene, but "viewed positively and encouraged" the process of Turkey's entry into the EU "on the basis of common values and principles". Mr Erdoğan said: "The most important message the Pope gave was toward Islam, reiterating his view of Islam as peaceful and affectionate."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI_and_Islam#Concerning_Turkey

Good. Talk ended.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Kevwyben: 11:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
Would it not be better to back up your arguments with the scriptures and other verifiable historical sources?

I see those against the observance of the festivals have provided some(though would like to see more), I would like those in support of the celebrations to provide scriptural proof as well.The bible I believe should be the authority here not human feelings/ preferences.

Anyway that's just me saying, I prefer making decisions based on logical arguments that can be proven and I will be making my own research as well since it is a waste of energy running an errand if I have not been sent. So why celebrate if its not bible-based.
Meanwhile I'll like those who already know to educate others from the SCRIPTURES.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by ambrosini593(m): 11:46pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ymodulus:

mr mind you am not a witness.

also pls go back and check the above group also dont clbrate new year
. Please verify before you post. 7 days adventist they celebrate christmas, church of christ they celebrate new year, messianic they celebrate easter even latter day saints they also celebrate easter. At least they are celebrating something. But Jehovah Witness, What do you celebrate, nothing. Even you can't celebrating your birthday because it is not in the bible. You people see other Christians as pagans. It is a crime for Christians to come together to say let's celebrate our king. Is it a crime for you to celebrate Jehovah for making you to see a new year.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by plappville(f): 12:02am On Jan 02, 2013
gst101: i am still asking withnesses. What comes to your heart each time you read the biblical passages narrating the birth of jesus? What does the HOLY SPIRIT (if you believe and reverence him at all) tell you when you reas the story of the birth of jesus in the bible.
Does the story illustrates birthday? A king was born and got gifts this was not repeated yearly. The tradition then was to present gift to Kings when visiting him. Jesus was not called infant or baby when the wise men visited him. The scripture says, the *,Child* Does this means they brought the gifts the day he was born or at his 1st birthday He got gifts because he was born King nothing like birthday. Go to the link I presented, you will see this has been treated. Birthday in the bible etc....
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by plappville(f): 12:14am On Jan 02, 2013
Kevwyben: Would it not be better to back up your arguments with the scriptures and other verifiable historical sources?

I see those against the observance of the festivals have provided some(though would like to see more), I would like those in support of the celebrations to provide scriptural proof as well.The bible I believe should be the authority here not human feelings/ preferences.

Anyway that's just me saying, I prefer making decisions based on logical arguments that can be proven and I will be making my own research as well since it is a waste of energy running an errand if I have not been sent. So why celebrate if its not bible-based.
Meanwhile I'll like those who already know to educate others from the SCRIPTURES.

This has treated it, at the end, it covers New year origin with a link to follow for more details. Needless repeating something over and over again.

https://www.nairaland.com/1140240/christians-trace-history-feastival#13502624
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by plappville(f): 12:22am On Jan 02, 2013
Rich4god:
[s]Sorry i have to add to your thread to make it easy fo me.[/s]
@1... We rejoice on this day for our saviour came into the world to redeem us. It could be any other day. Mind you that there are some orthordox churches that are in full communion with the RCC that celebrates theirs on 7th Jan(not sure if am right with the date)
@2... We give thanks to God every day/minute/hour/seconds. We dont celebrate new year, but we give thanks to God for giving us the grace to see another year. For the catholics, there is a Solemnity that we celebrate on 1st january, even the new year it at the background. But am not saying that we (catholics) dont recognise (rejoice in)the new year.
@3... We have nothing to do with Halloween. We observe all saints day, a day catholics/orthordox churches honor those who have made it to eternal by their way of life. Mind you, there is no specific person or people, its covers everyone that lead a good life.
@4.... The ressurection of our Lord.
@5... This is more of a social thing, but in christian perspective, there is nothing bad in given thanks to God for adding one year to your. Mind you, we thank God for life everyday, but on this day, if you go for thanksgiving and say God i thank you for making me a year older, i didnt see anything bad in it.

FOLLLOW THE LIKE FOR CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR. We will creat thread for saints day (Halloween) its something. Christian call it saint day, pagan call it Halloween. Christian call Christmas pagan is Yule. Same for Easter etc...
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by ambrosini593(m): 12:24am On Jan 02, 2013
plappville:
Does the story illustrates birthday? A king was born and got gifts this was not repeated yearly. The tradition then was to present gift to Kings when visiting him. Jesus was not called infant or baby when the wise men visited him. The scripture says, the *,Child* Does this means they brought the gifts the day he was born or at his 1st birthday He got gifts because he was born King nothing like birthday. Go to the link I presented, you will see this has been treated. Birthday in the bible etc....
. What is so bad about celebrating the birth of Jesus. If christmas is bible based or not, we all agreed that Jesus was born. He doesn't have to tell us to celebrate his birthday or death before we do. In as much as we celebrate it because we want to remind ourselves why he came to this world. Mind you Jesus was not born on Christmas day, christmas was coined from two words Christ and Mass. It is a way or service of remembering Jesus. I have a question for you. Since you only want to do the things in the bible alone. Where in the bible did jesus said you should buy a car, build a house, buy Tv, use the internet. These are product of man`s initiative. It is the same initiative man used setting up a day for Jesus birthday celebration. please there things and date will need to set for ourselves. Thank you
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by honeychild(f): 1:02am On Jan 02, 2013
ambrosini593: . What is so bad about celebrating the birth of Jesus. If christmas is bible based or not, we all agreed that Jesus was born. He doesn't have to tell us to celebrate his birthday or death before we do. In as much as we celebrate it because we want to remind ourselves why he came to this world. Mind you Jesus was not born on Christmas day, christmas was coined from two words Christ and Mass. It is a way or service of remembering Jesus. I have a question for you. Since you only want to do the things in the bible alone. Where in the bible did jesus said you should buy a car, build a house, buy Tv, use the internet. These are product of man`s initiative. It is the same initiative man used setting up a day for Jesus birthday celebration. please there things and date will need to set for ourselves. Thank you

When it has to do with your WORSHIP I think it is a course of wisdom to stick ONLY to what you read inside the Bible. Man has no business using his initiative to decide how to worship God.

Proverbs 14:12- There is a way that appears to be right but in the end it leads to death.

Isaiah 55:8 - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.

1 Corinthians 4:6- Now brothers and sisters I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying: DO NOT GO BEYOND WHAT IS WRITTEN....

If it has to do with your everyday life then you can use your initiative.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by plappville(f): 1:15am On Jan 02, 2013
ambrosini593: . What is so bad about celebrating the birth of Jesus. If christmas is bible based or not, we all agreed that Jesus was born. He doesn't have to tell us to celebrate his birthday or death before we do. In as much as we celebrate it because we want to remind ourselves why he came to this world. Mind you Jesus was not born on Christmas day, christmas was coined from two words Christ and Mass. It is a way or service of remembering Jesus. I have a question for you. Since you only want to do the things in the bible alone. Where in the bible did jesus said you should buy a car, build a house, buy Tv, use the internet. These are product of man`s initiative. It is the same initiative man used setting up a day for Jesus birthday celebration. please there things and date will need to set for ourselves. Thank you

Did the Church commanded this things u listed in accordance to God worshiping? Did the pope say the world should buy a car or plan to celebrate Christ NO. These are common materials/properties for man use. CHRIST DID USED THE BOAT/CANOE , HE USED MONEY, , CLOTHES. Its not thesame initiative my broda. There is enough example to follow in the bible, why adding to it? It seems you do not trully seek the truth. I have no time in repeating words. Plz visit that thread. The brethren did some good work there, I think you may find helpful.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by iamSi(m): 5:37am On Jan 02, 2013
Anyways for more of theor beliefs please take your time to check www.jw.org _ thanks
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by iamSi(m): 5:45am On Jan 02, 2013
What Does the
Bible Say About
Christmas?
The Bible’s answer
The Bible does not give the date of Jesus’
birth, nor does it say that we should celebrate
his birthday. As McClintock and Strong’s
Cyclopedia states: “The observance of
Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is
it of NT [New Testament] origin.”
Instead, an examination of the history of
Christmas exposes its roots in pagan religious
rites. The Bible shows that we offend God if
we try to worship him in a way that he does
not approve of.— Exodus 32:5-7.
History of Christmas customs
1. Celebrating Jesus’ birthday: “The
early Christians did not celebrate
[Jesus’] birth because they considered
the celebration of anyone’s birth to be a
pagan custom.”—The World Book
Encyclopedia.
2. December 25: There is no proof that
Jesus was born on that date. Church
leaders likely chose this date to coincide
with pagan festivals held on or around
the winter solstice.
3. Gift-giving, feasting, partying: The
Encyclopedia Americana says:
“Saturnalia, a Roman feast celebrated in
mid-December, provided the model for
many of the merry-making customs of
Christmas. From this celebration, for
example, were derived the elaborate
feasting, the giving of gifts, and the
burning of candles.” The Encyclopædia
Britannica notes that “all work and
business were suspended” during
Saturnalia.
4. Christmas lights: According to The
Encyclopedia of Religion, Europeans
decorated their homes “with lights and
evergreens of all kinds” to celebrate the
winter solstice and to combat evil
spirits.
5. Mistletoe, holly: “The Druids ascribed
magical properties to the mistletoe in
particular. The evergreen holly was
worshiped as a promise of the sun’s
return.”—The Encyclopedia Americana.
6. Christmas tree: “Tree worship, common
among the pagan Europeans, survived
after their conversion to Christianity.”
One of the ways in which tree worship
survived is in the custom of “placing a
Yule tree at an entrance or inside the
house in the midwinter holidays.”—
Encyclopædia Britannica.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Ymodulus: 6:39am On Jan 02, 2013
ambrosini593: . Please verify before you post. 7 days adventist they celebrate christmas,

Officially the Seventh-day Adventist
church does not celebrate
Christmas or Easter due to the
Pagan influences on these
occasions. The only religious day
on their calendar is the weekly
Sabbath. In saying that though,
some of the membership does
create christmas trees, and
consume hotcross buns and easter
eggs. This is an individual choice
though that is not part of the
official church position. You
certainly will not find Adventists
attending any kind of Christmas
Mass on the day. They do however
have a sermon the Sabbath on or
before these dates that relates to
the birth or death of Christ
depending on which holiday it is.
Source(s):
Seventh-day Adventist
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110512180522AA0zI3C

church of christ they celebrate new year,

did i in any place quote church of christ to you? Mr i have said it times without no. wwhy do religionist lie to pass a point? i hate it. pls stop it.

messianic they celebrate easter even latter day saints they also celebrate easter.

lol! Mr did i also said the above names dont clbrate easter?

i said they dont clbrate xmas go read my previous post.

No2. dont try to b cunny.
its funny hw christians are cunny to support their blive meanwhile cunny in evryday sense is a sin to them.

At least they are celebrating something. But Jehovah Witness, What do you celebrate, nothing. Even you can't celebrating your birthday because it is not in the bible. You people see other Christians as pagans.

now u c if i ever appreciate a christian group its one that makes research.

can u hear ursef again ? sayin at least u clbrate somtin? so u r just clbratin for clbratin sake? witout scriptural backin?

Bside last i check Jehovahs Witness celebrate

Nisan 14. Lords evening meal and they ave a clear biblical backing for it. Luke 22:19.

This is one reason i so much respect the JW's, they are outspoken and not fearful.

[quote]

It is a crime for Christians to come together to say let's celebrate our king. Is it a crime for you to celebrate Jehovah for making you to see a new year.

when such practise s deeply rooted in paganism yesit is.

bside wats so special about the new year.?

Mr is the rice u eat that day a problem?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 6:45am On Jan 02, 2013
plappville:

FOLLLOW THE LIKE FOR CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR. We will creat thread for saints day (Halloween) its something. Christian call it saint day, pagan call it Halloween. Christian call Christmas pagan is Yule. Same for Easter etc...
lol at response...
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 6:55am On Jan 02, 2013
plappville:

Did the Church commanded this things u listed in accordance to God worshiping? Did the pope say the world should buy a car or plan to celebrate Christ NO. These are common materials/properties for man use. CHRIST DID USED THE BOAT/CANOE , HE USED MONEY, , CLOTHES. Its not thesame initiative my broda. There is enough example to follow in the bible, why adding to it? It seems you do not trully seek the truth. I have no time in repeating words. Plz visit that thread. The brethren did some good work there, I think you may find helpful.
Erm... Plappville. I have one question for you, and all i need is a yes or no answer (if need be, a little and concise explanation might be accepted).
After the bible must have been conpiled, is there anyway that some of the 2nd century christians recieved revelations from God, or better still, have God stop revealing things to believers since the death of the apostles/early christian.
Remember all i need is yes/no.
Good morning.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by ijawkid(m): 7:35am On Jan 02, 2013
Rich4god:
Erm... Plappville. I have one question for you, and all i need is a yes or no answer (if need be, a little and concise explanation might be accepted).
After the bible must have been conpiled, is there anyway that some of the 2nd century christians recieved revelations from God, or better still, have God stop revealing things to believers since the death of the apostles/early christian.
Remember all i need is yes/no.
Good morning.

I KNOW WHERE you're heading @ my bro with this your question.......

Please don't tell me that the extra revelations if @ all any are the revelations of these pagan infested holidays and festivals.......smh!!!!!......because if that's the point you're trying to make then we will so argue hard...........xmas,easter,halloween are all pagan based................and Gods spirit would have no dealings revealing such waste to servants of God...........

And please after the apostles died revelations,prophecies et al stopped......

I thought I had quoted ephesians 2:19 $ 20 to butress this salient point......
of God, 20 having been built on the foundation
of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ
Himself being the chief cornerstone,

Our foundation is Jesus(the chief corner stone),the apostles and prophets..........any teaching,revelation and traditions found on a different foundation(traditions of men) should definitly be scrutinized and discarded...........
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by gst101: 7:55am On Jan 02, 2013
whats pegan about xmas? Do people worship demons on these days? Is the account of the nativity of the lord not recorded in the bible
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by ijawkid(m): 8:14am On Jan 02, 2013
gst101: whats pegan about xmas? Do people worship demons on these days? Is the account of the nativity of the lord not recorded in the bible

Hmmmm...please read the account of Jesus' birth and answer these questions and find out if this is what the scriptures teach

Were there exchange of gifts when Jesus was born??........did persons around engage in wild partying when Jesus was born??...........

The record of Jesus' birth(in exception of the date) shows the commemoration of Christ birth is out of the scriptures.............all the customs attached to xmas you see today are pagan based........like said earlier Jesus,mary,John and all 1st century christians never commemorated the birthday of Christ.............xmas is nothing but a waste to christianity..........
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by gst101: 8:17am On Jan 02, 2013
DANILSA:
how he died for our sins and how we can remember his death.
how he died for your sins and how you can remember him is what comes to heart when you read the birth of jesus in the bible? I think any one who reads my question and sees this your answer can definitely know what you are trying to do.

But lets take your reply as an answer. So you dont think that "how he died for your sins and how you can remember him, if thats what the spirit tells you when you read those passages, is worth celebrating.
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by gst101: 8:55am On Jan 02, 2013
ijawkid:

Hmmmm...please read the account of Jesus' birth and answer these questions and find out if this is what the scriptures teach

Were there exchange of gifts when Jesus was born??........did persons around engage in wild partying when Jesus was born??...........

The record of Jesus' birth(in exception of the date) shows the commemoration of Christ birth is out of the scriptures.............all the customs attached to xmas you see today are pagan based........like said earlier Jesus,mary,John and all 1st century christians never commemorated the birthday of Christ.............xmas is nothing but a waste to christianity..........
if all the excesses is what you are worried about, why dont you separate them from the revelation itself? A revelation which marks THE BEGINING OF FUFILMENT OF GODS PROMISE TO MEN. A revelation of hope. For bible says "today, unto you a savior is born" (luke 2:11). For me, the fact that a savior is born to me is some thing to celebrate. It means no more devil domination. No more sickness etc
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Rich4god(m): 9:15am On Jan 02, 2013
ijawkid:

I KNOW WHERE you're heading @ my bro with this your question.......

Please don't tell me that the extra revelations if @ all any are the revelations of these pagan infested holidays and festivals.......smh!!!!!......because if that's the point you're trying to make then we will so argue hard...........xmas,easter,halloween are all pagan based................and Gods spirit would have no dealings revealing such waste to servants of God...........

And please after the apostles died revelations,prophecies et al stopped......

I thought I had quoted ephesians 2:19 $ 20 to butress this salient point......
of God, 20 having been built on the foundation
of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ
Himself being the chief cornerstone,

Our foundation is Jesus(the chief corner stone),the apostles and prophets..........any teaching,revelation and traditions found on a different foundation(traditions of men) should definitly be scrutinized and discarded...........
IRRELEVANT
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by gst101: 9:29am On Jan 02, 2013
jawkid:
Hmmmm...please read the account of
Jesus' birth and answer these questions
and find out if this is what the
scriptures teach
when i read the scripture, i can see a celebration.

"suddenly, angels appeared from heaven singing glory to god in the highest and peace on earth to people of good will" (luke 2:13-14). So, on every 25th december when christians gather to praise god for the gift of a savior, be sure that God puts on his dancing shoes and he rejoices with them
Re: Why Are Jehovah Witnesses Not Celebrating Christmas And New Year? by Omolola1(f): 9:43am On Jan 02, 2013
If JW's do not believe in new year, then they shouldn't observe the public holidays, dec 25_26 and Jan 1. They shouldn't even accept christmas bonuses that would be given to them at work.
Yet most JW's do this!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don't Carry Over To Cross Over / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion / Islamic State Obeys Quran, Sells Christians As Sex Slaves For $40

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.