Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (12464 Views)

Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? / Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Truckpusher(m): 12:41am On Jan 04, 2013
dopeJemi: Op

I feeL ur Pain mahn

My parents knew hau tough it was 4 me dat dey had 2 bring my cousins 2 Leave wiv us temporariLy

4 12 years, I was d onLy chiLd, buh wen my mum finalLy gave birth, she had parted ways wiv my dad, nau she has 3 chiLdren dat av not seen, just wen I tot I was gonna av a kid bro, she Left

Its sad
cry sad
The op was asking that how has it been being an only child of your parents and not how your mom got divorced....must you tell us your sad tales?

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by iamswizz(m): 12:43am On Jan 04, 2013
Jellita: Only one. . . blessed are the 'barren'! For they shall inherit the blokos of the 'HOLY GHOST' like the VaJin Maria!
Mu che che che che che che
Time to pooooooooose in a 'london hospital' with 'hospital gown' for 'fertility proof' . . . or die like "Perv"!. . . crippled womb! tongue

i pity ur life.. No fear of the holy ghost.. SMH
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by greatgod2012(f): 12:47am On Jan 04, 2013
Kslib: Mehn,it aint easy oh...
Lonliness: i have so gotten used to it that i like isolating myself from people and being alone... Mum keeps treating me like a little child,if i no gree eat,she go dey vex say i dey starve myself....
I always compromise to always make her happy cos i dont want her to feel like i'm taking advantage of being her only child...
Mum always likes to dictate how i should live my life and gets angry when i oppose...
Inshort,being the only child has made me shun most of what i liked doing cos i want to always make my mum happy... It aint easy atall... I jealous people who have siblings and wish i had one,but there are some things in life that you just cant get..
Well my mum loves me to pieces that it scares the hell out of me to disappoint her.. So i'm always under pressure in how i behave and live my life....
Mum wants to know my friends,where i go and my private life and all.. Like seriously,WTF...
Lastly and most importantly,mum thinks she owns my life and wants me to live it to her taste... The thing don tire me but i no wan break this woman heart cos women are fragile....

chai! D lady you will date/marry must and should be extra ordinarily patient and tolerant, because your mum might not take some things easy with her, infact, she has to please your mum always before she could really win your heart.........just thinking how that is gonna be....... May God help you ooooooooooooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Idowuogbo(f): 12:52am On Jan 04, 2013
greatgod2012:

chai! D lady you will date/marry must and should be extra ordinarily patient and tolerant, because your mum might not take some things easy with her, infact, she has to please your mum always before she could really win your heart.........just thinking how that is gonna be....... May God help you ooooooooooooooo.
I swear u took d words right out of my fingers. I feel for him and d so called gal, he had better start letting his mother no he is capable of making decisions. Hian! Dis mum and son love dey extreme o! lipsrsealed
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by greatgod2012(f): 12:59am On Jan 04, 2013
desertboom:

Sister, you understand the situation better. Many at times I wonder how life will be like for my parents when I finally get married and move out of the house to stay on my own.

I wonder, who will take good care of my parents when I finally leave
Maybe, we'll all have to stay together both my wife and parents as one family. Yes, that will be the best option. Yes, yes and yes

staying together with your parents when you get married? And you think that is going to be d best solution? why dont you talk to them into adoption or betterstill, into getting a maid.....because, this your decision.....ehn, if you try it, you are likely to regret in within a short while......talking about interference in your marriage by your parents, which your partner may find offensive or rather irritating.....well i wish you goodluck, but, as a sister, i will want you to have a rethink over this. May God help you.

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by VirginFinder: 1:02am On Jan 04, 2013
I have this feeling of pity for 'only' children.

Thank God I'm not one and I pray I don't have one (an only child) either.

Btw, some folks here are already ingesting panadol for another person's headache. SMH.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by desertboom(m): 1:11am On Jan 04, 2013
greatgod2012:

staying together with your parents when you get married? And you think that is going to be d best solution? why dont you talk to them into adoption or betterstill, into getting a maid.....because, this your decision.....ehn, if you try it, you are likely to regret in within a short while......talking about interference in your marriage by your parents, which your partner may find offensive or rather irritating.....well i wish you goodluck, but, as a sister, i will want you to have a rethink over this. May God help you.

Noted and thanks for your concern.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Bvesan(m): 1:45am On Jan 04, 2013
At 17,im still the only child and i don't feel lonely which is very unusual.My mum still wants another child and jokingly says im the one preventing her from having another child.I feel there's pressure on me to become successful and i haven't disappointed so far.

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Nobody: 2:08am On Jan 04, 2013
Jellita: Only one. . . blessed are the 'barren'! For they shall inherit the blokos of the 'HOLY GHOST' like the VaJin Maria!
Time to pooooooooose in a 'london hospital' with 'hospital gown' for 'fertility proof' . . . or die like "Perv"!. . . crippled womb! tongue

honestly, this doesnt make sense

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by DANILSA(m): 2:37am On Jan 04, 2013
k2039:

[color=soyouquotedme]I have other siblings from my dad, but I have never met them.

I stay with my mum and she is responsible for my upbringing. I'm her only child.

So since I have never met my other siblings, the Op's post applies to me too.

Are you still curious?.
[/color]
no sir
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by DamiKhojie(m): 5:01am On Jan 04, 2013
I mean I still had to do all the same things as a typical nigerian kid which stinks because I never had anyone to split chores with. It also was annoying havin all your parents attention you and it was nearly impossible to get away with anything. I did get lonely at times but I had plenty of cousins coming in and out of my house so it wasn't too bad.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Ymodulus: 6:18am On Jan 04, 2013
ok.

i am the only child. well how i feel is kinda ok and not ok.

it affected me. Yes before i got in to the university i hardly talk to people especially the opposite sex. though . i can chat with them on whatsapp social medias etc.

Inferority Complex.

Yes this has affected me. i just have this low self esteem in doing things. though am doing great academically. but u see i can bearly talk to mates, the next question or word u hear from them is Nerd/ Geek is around.

i hate this. infact i try to use education to draw friends to me but the truth is that it does not work.
i have hated myself for this.

i cant boast of myself saying SEUN look at my friend over there.

Free Will.

Well this had not really been a problem. and it has been a problem

Protective.

This is much of a problem. U know i cant even face a girl straight up and talk to her for one minute. if MUM sees me she did call me inside.
This has affected me that today i cant talk to a girl without been shy. if i should talk to the oppposite sex for more than one minute, belive me when i say we are discussing about world findings or anything educational.

Trying to cope.

Well it has not been easy noting the fact that rather than schooling abroad am schooling in nigeria.
i can recall my first year in the university 2years ago i cried like a baby. cuz a room mate said bleeped u. lol!

men but today am use to that. only that i quickly get offended. i am easily hot tempered. this i am seriously battling with. though of recent ave been noticing some improvement.

Enjoyment.

well been spoilt with money. and due to the fact my GENOTYPE IS **. U KNOW IS SOMETHING else, cant stay a minute without calls . hello are u ok? pls take care of urself.

Bad side of it.

Its really not good to be the only child.
anyway i mysef plan on having just two kids. maximum and one kid minimum
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by normac: 6:42am On Jan 04, 2013
;DWell for me, being an only child has been alright. Grew up in a fairly comfortable home and raised with the right balance I think, not over pampered but always made to know u are special (I came along after 11 yrs of marriage). I grew up quite sheltered dunno if dats an advantage or a disadvantage but I grew up a really happy person, not cynical at all until maybe a bit later in my life lol. Downsides like a couple of posters have mentioned already are d lonliness and d pressure to get married early and start having ur own kids smh. All in all, being an only child is all I've ever known and balancing it all out, I won't say I'm sad or regret it, I suppose it would have been nice to have a kid bro or sis sha, but dats life. Besides, y'all aint heard dat statistically, only-children are the happiest people on earth?

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by normac: 6:49am On Jan 04, 2013
Also forgot to add, a bit quiet n inttroverted with people I'm not close to, so people often tend to assume I'm a snob even tho that's way off the mark. Being an only child also fires up ur imagination and creativity as u learn to make do without playmates lol. Had the normal awkwardness around d opposite sex as well, right up until uni when I became a proper bad ass!cheesy
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by normac: 6:50am On Jan 04, 2013
Smh bad a.ss, not bad bottom. Sheesh!
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by normac: 6:54am On Jan 04, 2013
^^Lol I give up!

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by touchplay(m): 7:11am On Jan 04, 2013
Fredrick909: [size=21pt] and also how does it feels to be an only son [/size]
choi...! M d only son,wit 3 sisters,2 serving nigeria, mi m abt 2 resume skul,lastborn wants 2 sit 4 jamb.mehn,its nt bin easy oo..staying alone in ma room y'l dey al gist n play in der room.no guy 2 talk2,non 2 share cloths wit,non 2 argue football wit.jst mi alone.dats y i dnt stay @ om all d tym expecially weekends.always inma fwends place,n mum aint cool wit it.always calling mi on fone 2 cm back 2 d girls hostel. angry
Fredrick909: [size=21pt] and also how does it feels to be an only son [/size]
choi...! M d only son,wit 3 sisters,2 serving nigeria, mi m abt 2 resume skul,lastborn wants 2 sit 4 jamb.mehn,its nt bin easy oo..staying alone in ma room y'l dey al gist n play in der room.no guy 2 talk2,non 2 share swags wit,non 2 argue football wit.jst mi alone.dats y i dnt stay @ om all d tym expecially weekends.always inma fwends place,n mum aint cool wit it.always calling mi on fone 2 cm back 2 girls hostel.

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by 1ndidi2(f): 7:26am On Jan 04, 2013
Czar-Chris:
To be honest, to be an only child is a curse i wouldn't even wish on my worst enermy.

I was an only child for 16yrs, before my mum gave birth to my kid sister. My dad overprotective, let me not talk about my mum, her's was an obsession. Everybody was on my case back then, the teachers, the neighbours even the church pastors to gain favour from my dad, anything i did was reported eyes/spies where everywhere.

The pampering was so much I actually developed an inferiority complex in primary school and early secondary school, cause everybody avoided me and my dad didn't even want me to have friends then, he was just too over-protective.
My best friend then was a portion of the wall in my room, i talked to it, played soccer with it*Damn*(I believe it helped me develope an active imagination).But the loneliness was killing.

When my mum had my sis I was just overjoyed that the attention has shifted from me. But later i became jealous cos she practically took all the attention and I was getting non..lol(a classic case of be careful wat u wish for).

But we have matured into very best friends now. Thank God for that, and she is in S.S 1 now.

Its the pressure from all sides now to get married following my dad's death that's really pissing me off now.

Remember honour thy mother:

Single lady passing by..

Single lady passing by...
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by flow1759: 7:30am On Jan 04, 2013
normac: ^^Lol I give up!
u better give up. Dats how i typed c*unt they change it to well. How dem take relate?
@topic Only child ain't easy base on boredom tins IMO. Tank God am not an only child so i can't tell how it feels. When u ask me how it feels to be first born and first male ("okpara" in igbo) then i will write an essay of 400words. FULLSTOP
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Exponental(m): 7:57am On Jan 04, 2013
I never was...being d 3rd but I think it could be fun if d child has companion (cousins around), else loneliness womt be appreciated.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by dopeJemi: 8:02am On Jan 04, 2013
Truckpusher: The op was asking that how has it been being an only child of your parents and not how your mom got divorced....must you tell us your sad tales?

Abeg shut up and go push trucks

If u knew hau 2 read, u wud av seen where I stated hau it has been 4 me being d onLy chiLd

No quote Me again oh
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Shaw007(m): 8:03am On Jan 04, 2013

Mr/Mrs calloti. . .u dan dey madt 2013!! cheesy
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by CzarChris(m): 8:09am On Jan 04, 2013
Kslib:
Well,not really.. If there is one thing i know how to do is to adapt perfectly.. Although,let me admit,it's kinda hard sha cos during most of my teen years i was isolated from the opposite sex(cos mum was over protective.. I mean over over),thus making me feel ackward in the presence of the opposite sex.. But am adapting sha...
Very true, if there is one characteristic i developed from being lonely is been able to adapt to any situation, and I developed ingenious ways of escaping home in my teens. I look back to those days and I just can't help laughing. I was so damn slippery...lol. Truth be told, there is no fun in being an only child, its even worse if your parents are full time career people.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Ahmeduana(m): 8:24am On Jan 04, 2013
Never been easy, especially when both the parents are no more around, imagine a 30 something years old person been an orphan since the age of 7 and passing through life turbulence all alone no uncle, no aunty, only God and me. NO IS NOT AN EASY THING to be an only child.

1 Like

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by mrmofasa(m): 8:46am On Jan 04, 2013
elvis07: It has not been an easy ride, folks waant u to call everyday if they call and u don't pick then panic starts. Its not just easy and I won't advice dat for any1

Rightly said. It's annoying.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by desertboom(m): 8:51am On Jan 04, 2013
Ymodulus: ok.

i am the only child. well how i feel is kinda ok and not ok.

it affected me. Yes before i got in to the university i hardly talk to people especially the opposite sex. though . i can chat with them on whatsapp social medias etc.

Inferority Complex.

Yes this has affected me. i just have this low self esteem in doing things. though am doing great academically. but u see i can bearly talk to mates, the next question or word u hear from them is Nerd/ Geek is around.

i hate this. infact i try to use education to draw friends to me but the truth is that it does not work.
i have hated myself for this.

i cant boast of myself saying SEUN look at my friend over there.

Free Will.

Well this had not really been a problem. and it has been a problem

Protective.

This is much of a problem. U know i cant even face a girl straight up and talk to her for one minute. if MUM sees me she did call me inside.
This has affected me that today i cant talk to a girl without been shy. if i should talk to the oppposite sex for more than one minute, belive me when i say we are discussing about world findings or anything educational.

Trying to cope.

Well it has not been easy noting the fact that rather than schooling abroad am schooling in nigeria.
i can recall my first year in the university 2years ago i cried like a baby. cuz a room mate said bleeped u. lol!

men but today am use to that. only that i quickly get offended. i am easily hot tempered. this i am seriously battling with. though of recent ave been noticing some improvement.

Enjoyment.

well been spoilt with money. and due to the fact my GENOTYPE IS **. U KNOW IS SOMETHING else, cant stay a minute without calls . hello are u ok? pls take care of urself.

Bad side of it.

Its really not good to be the only child.
anyway i mysef plan on having just two kids. maximum and one kid minimum

Ya, it has also made me a core introvert. It affected me so much that I find it difficult to have friends, even having a girlfriend has not been easy because of my melancholy way of life.

Anyways, just as one poster pointed out about adapting to situation of life, I've decided to use the situation to my advantage.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by FlamingGun: 8:53am On Jan 04, 2013
One here, talking; fifty years.

Challenging but has its own rewards - like knitting a very close relationship with one's parents; like holding your own and counting on yourself when most people falter and give up; like not minding staying in a whole building alone because you've always been mostly alone; like creating your world even when surrounded by thousands.

However, you must cultivate a generous spirit. It does not come easily if you grew up an only child. You must seek to build lasting relationships and do your best to make them work.

Overall, thorns and roses!

2 Likes

Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Kslib(m): 9:21am On Jan 04, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Wow! Adapting? Are u allowed dates? Or mum still butts in...Sorry o! Just curious. embarassed
Loool... Why not?? But still,l i no dey let my mama know sha cos i no wan put pressure on the girl.. I have my own way of making mum Feel ralaxed . That's one advantage of being an only child "ABILITY TO ADAPT" and "MANEUVER"....
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Kslib(m): 9:31am On Jan 04, 2013
greatgod2012:

Not really!!! Inshort,i think my wife will over enjoy cos she will have the best mother-in-law in the world. Trust me,my mum is an angel in human form,i know why i said this because i'm a very careful observer(.i observe everybody,including my mum),well that's by the way. All my mum just wants is a God fearing girl with good character .. Shikena...
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Britzdon(m): 9:36am On Jan 04, 2013
desertboom: How has it been like, being the only child of your parents?

Many people believe that being the only child is juicy and rosy, you get pamper and also treated like king or queen.
Thus, for me being the only child of my mother has been very challenging for me;
You eat your food alone with no one to share with.
No one to play with.
No one to share your cloths with.
No one to fight with. Yes, fight!
No one to discuss with.
No one to share your dreams and aspiration with.
You're always on your own, doing your thing alone, the benfit I often get is that mum seems to take very good care of me.
Though, I seems not to bother again because I'm now a big boy in my mid 20s

How has it been like for you?
this is the kinda experience i'm going through,though i've got a lil sibbling(female).but it's been challanging coz i hardly see someone to chat with whenever i get home.i'm always lone at home and it hurts so bad.and as someone who's at his late teens i get my desired freedom to have outdoor events with friends...i wish i had a male sibbling who's either a teen or above.
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by foliks(f): 9:36am On Jan 04, 2013
Being an only child is so horrible,u av no one 2 talk 2 excpt ur mum dat'll definately want to no evrytin...it got worse wen my mum died nd I had 2 stay wth my anty who has no child again,damn,I got confused cos she treats ♍ε̲̣̣̣ like am my mum tellin ♍ε̲̣̣̣ tins I dnt evn understand nd expct me 2 giv her a perfect ansa lyk my mum nd also wantin me 2 tel her evrytin nd doin exactly wat she wants ♍ε̲̣̣̣ to do evn if I dnt want to,each tym I do sumtin wrong,she feels bad tinkin I did it because she's nt my biological mum so I have to be extra ordinarily careful den d whole family wants τ̅☺ no evrytin goin on in ur private life nd want 2 av a say...I av ₪☺ private life anymor bt family life...am so tayad,can't wait 2 live 4 my husband's house
Re: Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? by Rajman(m): 9:38am On Jan 04, 2013
1ndidi2:

Single lady passing by..

See advert lol grin
1ndidi2:

Single lady passing by..

See advert lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sex During Fasting For Christians (RCCG) / Surrogacy Services Now Available In Nigeria For Intending Parents / Why Isn’t Infidelity A Crime?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.