Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464136 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2007
omo Afo i don fix the screenlet o, i finally got a blog that give me a how to guide, although it wasnt that easy i had to reinstall beryl but it all went well, and i have the screenlet working

by the way the whether code 4 lagos is "NIXX0012" lagos weather

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:02pm On Aug 08, 2007
Men thanks. yesterday the beryl +screenlet + opera and some other programs + a corrupt package made my computer so slow that i had to log out and celtel disconnected me after
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:06am On Aug 09, 2007
The weather stuff worked. it showed that rain was going to fall and it did
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:20pm On Aug 09, 2007
Men how una dey now, its been a long time since have dropped by but anyhow sha am posting from my school cafe with a toshiba satellite pro core duo 2 and i wish it were mine with Ubuntu on it solely wink smiley cheesy grin you all fell my pain don't u well its all good Afo and Bigrover the linux convert turn linux guru whats up she we fit meet for Afo place tommorrow friday if yes flash me nos. cheerio ain't gor much time
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2007
u guys can come but what time are u coming o
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hayprof(m): 2:59pm On Aug 09, 2007
The Meeting of the 'Buntus cool

Am i invited? lipsrsealed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:40pm On Aug 09, 2007
medo of cpurse u are.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 3:46pm On Aug 09, 2007
@hayprof
Hammed u dey hem grin grin if u wan come, come now.
@Afo the time of coming will really depend on Bigrover so i'll holla u bout it. cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:49pm On Aug 09, 2007
na problem. Anyway hw far with connecting ur phone via bluetooth ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hayprof(m): 3:57pm On Aug 09, 2007
Am gon check ma Scedule, lipsrsealed

Wetin make i donate? Shaks, Plenty dey cool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2007
Am currently using the sagem now cos am no longer using the sendo X so bluetooth is out of the question so am planning to get L6 and i have the cable so i will use that for the main time Hammed she no be shepe you dey bring along oo grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hayprof(m): 5:18pm On Aug 09, 2007
Ra ra O. no sepe na enuf Garrium Sulphide, grin cheesy

Who dey bring Omi [water]?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:40pm On Aug 09, 2007
Linux users get registered and counted o. me i've been counted and its quite easy go to http://counter.li.org and register o

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 9:41pm On Aug 09, 2007
wow.

bigbrovar is a linux maestro now

I knew it! He always sounded like a potential linux guy smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:16am On Aug 11, 2007
afor i don finish the virtualisation o, i was able to enable the wide screen support and the mouse works even better now so i dont have to click the right ctrl key whenever i want to leave the virtual box, i was even able to create a shared folder btw it and my feisty fawn, but the best news of all is that it connected to the net using my default connection, sweet, now i can use internet download manager on feisty fawn, so for now i intend to use xp as a slave os for my UBUNTU, @ Darkman, where have u been all this while ? good to hear from u,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:54am On Aug 11, 2007
Big the linux guru please tell me how you made it use your default connection was it from the machine settings ? And guess what i saw fisayo on nairaland yesterday
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mendax: 3:22pm On Aug 14, 2007
@adewaleafolabi
ol boy abeg how i go take start dis tin now? abi how do i contact u?
cheers & more grees 2 ur elbows!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:55pm On Aug 14, 2007
check out windows xp in a cube , and another power, of open source, another power of Ubuntu, another power of Linux!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:30pm On Aug 14, 2007
i'll try and see if my old machine can handle fiesty livecd in virtual box plus beryl.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mimohmi(m): 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2007
Hey guys, this thread is and will ever remain hot.
Been out of the ubuntu box. If anybody needs a copy
just call or mail me to get it. I have two copies but will
be giving out one.

As an open source explorer, an digging out on solaris. Nice
but not enough support like onther linux flavours. It's more
of unix.

Bye for now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 3dhunter(m): 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2007
@ adewaleafolabi
i have been very busy, that is why you have not heard from me. as i said last, the system was able to boot from the cd, then it just stoped. given me a blank screen
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:41pm On Aug 17, 2007
MAHN i just installed compiz fusion , nd o boy that shit is da bomb, i can't say more ,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:40pm On Aug 18, 2007
@ afo this is the screenshot of my current session try make sense of it please

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:11pm On Aug 22, 2007
wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2007
Here are some of my latest screenshot, the first one is plugin in compiz fusion that enable all ur workplace to be displayed.my first work place is firefox,2nd is my virtualised xp,3rd is a chat session ,the last is my amarok music player

the 2nd screenshot is the cube desltop
the last is my desktop
the last is just my desktop
grin

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:10pm On Aug 26, 2007
hope its cool

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:05am On Aug 31, 2007
For those who need still need to run windows applications, try wine or this http://chxta..com/2007/08/software-review-crossover.html
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 31, 2007
Afolabi, have u tried runnig any windows games with wine? I tried GTA3 and the performance sucked. Later it just wouldnt start, telling me it was looking for a 800x600 mode. (wonder what on earth it means, changing my screen res didnt fix it).
I also tried cegeda/winex - which is supposed to be tweaked for windows games - although it was the free unsupported version i got (i cant pay $15 per month for the purpose of gaming on linux).

Any successes out there plz holla.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2007
if u want to game on linux, support games that compile native linux versions, like epic games (UT, etc) and id games like doom3.

dont bother with winex, etc. keep a windows partition for those games.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:20pm On Aug 31, 2007
running games with wine could be a real drag. But even cedega aint that good but managable. Wine is growing but you could try linux game and you don't even need to compile them, there are binaries and even deb. i have a dvd worth of linux games like America's Army (Damn its graphic intensive), Nexuiz- death match, et-Medal of honour like but with team play.
There are tons out there if you need a list check wikipedia. I don't know if its possible to play 3d games in a virutalized environment but hey you could try virtual box to virtualize MS
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:38pm On Aug 31, 2007
Guys for those who haven't tried Songbird please do, although its still a developers preview, its sweet, am on jamendo downloading me some cool LEGAL music.(I like FREE so what).
Songbird is a multimedia player, a web browser and lots of other crazy stuff, its gives you the option of downloading your streamed music or to download any media file on that webpage. to it, its like the web is a music library, i use gprs and i've gotten up to 5track from jamendo so its fast. Its built on mozilla firefox, so its damn fast at the same time serves as a media player, why not go ahead and play the web www.songbirdnest.com
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:36pm On Sep 02, 2007
Fixing grub after windows reinstallation

Grab the CD you used to install Ubuntu on your computer. If you don't have it anymore, download a CD image from www.Ubuntu.com/download, and burn it on a blank CD. If you used the live CD to install, you will need to use the alternative installation CD with the traditional text mode installer.

Insert the CD in the drive, and restart your computer. It will boot on the CD instead of using the hard disk as usual. Now highlight the Rescue a Broken System line, and press Enter. Select your language and keyboard, and let the installer detect the network (for the computer name, you can leave the default Ubuntu) just like when you installed Ubuntu for the first time.

You will then be presented with a list of available partitions on your hard disks. Don't worry about the first line (/dev/discs/disc0/part1). Start looking at the other lines. You need to remember on which disk and on which partition Ubuntu is installed. Most of the time, you probably have just one disk. If you have Windows installed on it, it is probably located on the first partition of this disk, and Ubuntu should be on the second one. Therefore, you probably want to select /dev/discs/disc1/part2 (then press Enter), unless your situation is more complex.

On the last screen, select the first line Execute a shell in , You can now enter commands. Start by mounting the disks on your system:

foo@bar:~# mount -a

Now type:

foo@bar:~# df

Look at the list printed on the screen. Search the last column for the single / character, and on the corresponding line look for the first column. It should say something such as /dev/hda2 (the last few characters may be different for you). Now type the following command, and replace /dev/hda with what you have just read, but without the last digit (/dev/hda instead of /dev/hda2 in the above example):

foo@bar:~# grub-install /dev/hda

Wait for the process to finish. It might take a few minutes. About a dozen lines should have appeared on the screen. Check whether you find the text 'installation finished'. If you do, everything went fine. You can now restart your computer by typing

foo@bar:~# exit

Eject the CD, and then select Reboot the System. Welcome back to Ubuntu!

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.