Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,863 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464821 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:54am On May 27, 2008
Ubuntu linux is multimedia unleashed, i play even weird formats like .3gp, .vob etc without issues. Also realplayer is also available on linux. If you're in lagos contact bigbrovar, or better still visit ubuntunigeria.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 10:15pm On May 28, 2008
Hello guys! It's great to be back to nairaland. I can see that a lot of progress has been made especially with the Ubuntu thread. I sure hope to give quality advice that may help (I'm still in love with Suse). adewaleafolabi and bigrovar: you guys have really improved. That's really nice.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:54pm On May 29, 2008
Thanks so much fissayo, i hope to spend more time here also after my exams
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:36am On Jun 07, 2008
Okay two more papers left. Anyway i stumbled upon The Entertainer Project. Its a media center and i feel its better than elisa and easier to use than mythtv
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:10pm On Jun 10, 2008
This is the only place i ever feel at home (linux thread) and this is really looking up in the linux world and truely i cannot find anything better to use rigth now am having a desktop system that use to be my linux box but now have installed windoze XP on it cuz its for sale i barely even touch except for playing songs and i get annoy everytime cos WM player cannot remember the last songs you played even with a playlist you'll have to load your playlist everytime you want to play music unlike all linux music players just point the location where the song is and thats all.

All tired of the talk that i can do this on windows and i can't do it on linux
Here are few of what you can do on linux that you cannot do on windo$e

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows

I hope you linux gurus in the house can add to the list cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:02am On Jun 14, 2008
Freedom am free from exams. I gave Heron a shot and was impressed. It needed less memory than fiesty. I wonder what was removed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by klez(m): 9:18pm On Jun 18, 2008
Just to add meself to dis post - anyone in Anambra with ubuntu issues, send me an email, might be able 2 help u out cheesy (or I might learn a thing or 2 4rm u, who knows? wink.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:19am On Jun 19, 2008
Bigbrovar, what's up with your phone ? Anyway am fully back in lagos now. Call me. Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:02am On Jun 19, 2008
sorry afo , am now in abuja to take up the job in AUST, a cousin miss placed my number , so i could take it with me , however u can reach me on this number 08079535004
Re: Ubuntu Linux by texazzpete(m): 1:06pm On Jun 19, 2008
Can someone here actually review Firefox 3. Some open-source activists y'all are grin

just kidding sha, but i'd like to see how much mileage someone in Nigeria has actually had with it. No internet connection in my place unfortunately, so i can't try it myself.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:25pm On Jun 19, 2008
klez:

Just to add meself to this post - anyone in Anambra with ubuntu issues, send me an email, might be able 2 help u out cheesy (or I might learn a thing or 2 from u, who knows? wink.

awesome , please let me know if u want me to add u to the list of sources were ubuntu can be obtain from freely , we currently dont have anybody from the east , if u need me to help you with cds just send me a mail , bigbrovar@gmail.com
cheers mate

http://ubuntunigeria./category/get-ubuntu/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:23pm On Jun 19, 2008
@bigbrovar I just got back online and how's the job? Did you see that stuff done with gimp? Anyway in case AUST is accepting interns i like to enlist.

@texazzpete i had always considered opera to be the fastest browser, followed by firefox and don't even consider internet explorer since i had my fair share of headaches with it. Maybe ie7 might be better, i didn't use it. Anyway my take on firefox 3, i used it at a cafe and was blazing, faster than usual. However that was even the beta. I'd like to see the Wikipedia comparison article of the browsers.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by crazylegs(m): 3:49pm On Jun 19, 2008
texazzpete:

Can someone here actually review Firefox 3. Some open-source activists y'all are grin

just kidding sha, but i'd like to see how much mileage someone in Nigeria has actually had with it. No internet connection in my place unfortunately, so i can't try it myself.

Been using it since yesterday. Pretty cool.

Most of my add-ons work (except Minimise to tray and I think I can survive without it for now). I think its a bit faster (nothing mind-blowing). But then I'm very suggestible. THe major speed difference is in tab-switching which used to be a bit slow in 2.** (at least on my machine).

The interface is a bit different and I think the rendering is a bit better: some of the pages I view often (my company website for example) actually seem nicer.

One thing I really hate are the "smart" bookmarks and autofills. Its a very personal thing. When typing in web addresses it tries to make all sorts of suggestions. Very irritating,. . . well to me at least. I've killed it.

I think its better and everyone who can should upgrade, but its not mind-blowing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:41pm On Jun 19, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

@bigbrovar I just got back online and how's the job? Did you see that stuff done with gimp? Anyway in case AUST is accepting interns i like to enlist.

omo its very challenging ,  the university would be running exclusively on Ubuntu hardy heron ,  so am making a customized Ubuntu  which would run on all the computers in the school ,  the custom Ubuntu has all the best educational software that open source has to offer , the idea is that the other systems in the school would be fat diskless ,  and their home partition would be mounted on a file server ,  so a person can log into any system in the school and he would be taken to his user directory ,  which is default setings wall paper and everything intact ,  its some pretty cool stuff am working on it this very mo ,  how is Lagos ,  miss u guys mehn ,  i would be sending some packeges down to u guys soon ,  cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by klez(m): 9:48pm On Jun 19, 2008
Sure no probs. I'll email u soon.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:15am On Jun 20, 2008
Basically they're running clients sharing through NFS. I've read up something similar like that on ubuntu forums, once logged in they get their personalized environment including compiz. Also an example could be found under examples in your hardy heron /home talking about the testimonials of schools. Also since its an educational institution, its better you deal with edubuntu. That makes things extremely easier instead of reinventing the wheel. I'd be dropping more tips later
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:07pm On Jun 20, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

Basically they're running clients sharing through NFS. I've read up something similar like that on ubuntu forums, once logged in they get their personalized environment including compiz. Also an example could be found under examples in your hardy heron /home talking about the testimonials of schools. Also since its an educational institution, its better you deal with edubuntu. That makes things extremely easier instead of reinventing the wheel. I'd be dropping more tips later

exactly , and we would be using ldad for authentication of the clients against the file server where the home dir would be mounted , also we would be using system imager and chroot alot, its pretty cool stuff , about the edubuntu , well my supervisor wanted us to use the default ubuntu , but i can always install edubuntu package later on , cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:31pm On Jun 20, 2008
my dvd rom got fried before i got back home, no logical explanation, someone back in school had a similar experience. Am really sick of these guys bringing in fake products its annoying. Am trying to get my hands on blender, but i must admit its been a bit challenging, i'd be looking at some documentation, i guess what i really need it to be a bit more patient. anyway take care man
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 6:48am On Jun 24, 2008
Can anyone send the Ubuntu Linux to me. I leave in Sapele, Delta State.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:36am On Jun 24, 2008
@pipmaster i think anambra should be nearer to delta, then contact klez so you can get the cd faster
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:40pm On Jun 24, 2008
Gimp is sure a great tool, i mean its just wonderful. The GUI might look strange but its lovely.
For me and Blender i think we are getting along now grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2008
adewale: Alrite then, this is my take on gimp. it's very cool! I think you should give it a try. I used to use it back in school for some designs (something to keep afloat). While it may not exacly measure up with Photoshop, it's really very usable and you won't notice the difference except if you're a very very intense digital photographer.

bigrovar: about your project in Auchi, I'm really curious. Do you have plans for intergration with Windows clients? People sure still use Windows. Nway, since I don't know much about what is being done, I guess my opinions will not count.

One more thing: does anybody know where I can get boxed edition of SuSE 11.0. I really want to get it. Cheers!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:41pm On Jun 28, 2008
the project here is massive , never since or heard anything like it , most of the lecturers are from all around the world , its just massive , the school uses only open software , so all the students for the students and the secretaries would be on ubuntu , to make things smooth we used system imager which would allow u to customize ubuntu and send the resultant imager into a server which other systejm would boot from , i customized the ubuntu the school would be using , and its composed of free software , the best that open source has to offer , i would be sending down an aptoncd special science edittion to lagos soon , yeah for some pple its still a windows world , but for me , i have been completely free of windows for the past 7 months now , i dont have any micro$oft technology , , in my life , not even virtualbox xp .all my drives are ext3 and not the buggy ntfs. my two laptops run ubuntu and i can do everything i use to do on windows without missing a thing , am not a gamer so i guess that also helps , i recently got an ipod touch , cus i couldnt lay my hands on the linux powered Nokia 810 , i was scared that it might lock me to windows cus it was built to only work with itunes , but after reading little research i was able to sync it with amarok without any problem , so , i jailbreak my itouch , installed BSDsubsystem and installed open ssh and a bash terminal , so the bitch runs like a full blown linux device , i can ssh into the school server from my bed and i can run bash commands on it ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:50am On Jun 30, 2008
@bigbrovar Hey lucky guy. Na you dey enjoy now o, i think you should read the post where we got into arguement over windows and linux grin

@fisayo the only thing i found useful on redhat then was gimp grin It's really been great
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:34am On Jul 02, 2008

@bigbrovar Hey lucky guy. Na you dey enjoy now o, i think you should read the post where we got into arguement over windows and linux grin
that was aweful of me , i cant even imagine i ever said those things about windows , well i guess now i know better , i installed mint linux on my work laptop and i must say that i was pleasantly suprised and impressed , the distro looks soo published and well thougt out , everything is polished from the start menu which many window users would feel at home with (and which windows copied and implemented on vista) to the art work to the fact that all ur multimedia codecs are installed by default , the distro is based on ubuntu , and the latest version is called Linux Mint 5 Elyssa , and it is based on ubuntu hardy heron , i have since been using it on my work laptop and i plan on installing it on my personal laptop soon when i have the time ,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:14am On Jul 02, 2008
Hey man, i've been there, i even said that linux can't match windows, but thanks to people like fissayo,skima, esquire, chxta, mimoh and lots of others. I say thank you. Hey am tired of my break, its so boring at home, no light am just tired any bright ideas ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 12:57pm On Jul 02, 2008
The Electricity situation now continues to amaze,
I really don't know where Nigeria is heading undecided

-[n3rve]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2008
i hav a problem here ,

i hav 250 gb harddisk ,

in the c: drive (150 gb ) i hav windows vista ,
int he d: drive (80 gb) i installed ununtu ,

now the 150 gb in the c: drive is not enough for me ,
i want to remove 60 gb from the UBUNTU partition and use it for windows , and leave 20 gb for UBUNTu ,

can u plzz help , i really need the space ,

thnx in advance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 7:17pm On Jul 14, 2008
Slowest internet connection using Firefox 3 and Ubuntu

Speed up Firefox 3 on Ubuntu: [WARNING: designed for broadband only, dialup not work]

Maybe you have wrong DNS servers on Ubuntu Network setting that causes network connection very slow. Go Network setting that is found at System > Administration > Networking > DNS, then insert your own ISP's DNS SERVERS there. Hit 'ok'. If not solve it, then next step here:

1. Open Firefox 3, go Application > Internet > Firefox or use Firefox icon on menubar.

2. Enter the blank address bar: about:config

3. Enter the text field of Filter: (one a time type at below, then double-click to change on '=> bold' -it automatically double-click 'true' change itself)

[list]
[li]network.dns.disableIPv6 => true[/li]
[li]network.http.pipelining => true [/li]
[li]network.http.pipelining.maxrequests => 8 [/li]
[li]network.http.proxy.pipelining => true[/li]
[li]network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy => 8 [/li]
[li]network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server => 8 [/li]
[/list]

4. restart (close) Firefox 3

5. Wait few minutes, then open Firefox 3, there you go surfing faster much better.

Unfortunately I lost the link where I found on google. It works on my son's Ubuntu system loading Firefox 3 surfing on the internet much better. No more hang too long connection. cheesy

Good luck!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2008
@hunter download gparted live cd.

@uspry are you saying that firefox 3 is slow with dialup on ubuntu ? I use ubuntu and haven't tried firefox 3 but i'd download it and post my report soon. However the new antispam engine might be a culprit. Just a feeling
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 11:36am On Jul 15, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

@uspry are you saying that firefox 3 is slow with dialup on ubuntu ? I use ubuntu and haven't tried firefox 3 but i'd download it and post my report soon. However the new antispam engine might be a culprit. Just a feeling

@adewaleafolabi

Read my post it says this is for BROADBAND ONLY.

It will not work on dialup on Firefox 3/Ubuntu for networking configuration. It has different dialup setting using pppo on Ubuntu. I have no idea about dialup configuration/setting procedure for Firefox 3 on Ubuntu because I am broadband user.

Google for slow dialup connection using Firefox 3 and Unbuntu that is for dialup(pppo) configuration.

Good luck!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2008
Hey uspry i never said i was going to try what you said, i think you misinterpreted my post. I only said i was going to download and use firefox3. Then post whether it was slow or not. I didn't say i was going to try your tweak

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.