Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (465483 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:38pm On Sep 03, 2007
i have some probs with my ubuntu have being able to settup everything i need to keep my system running, the only thing i have been unable to sort out now is my wireless, In my vista partition i could send files from my pc to another system connected wireless to me,i can share my internet connection and also tap from another internet connections wirelessly, please is there a way i can do all these on my ubuntu, i currently use verizon wireless evdo card has my default internet connection, hope the use of wireless would not compromise it, i use inter pro/wireless 3945 Network connection driver for linux -which is a restricted driver, please any help would be appreciated,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:26pm On Sep 04, 2007
ï have some probs with my ubuntu have being able to settup everything i need to keep my system running, the only thing i have been unable to sort out now is my wireless, In my vista partition i could send files from my pc to another system connected wireless to me,i can share my internet connection and also tap from another internet connections wirelessly, please is there a way i can do all these on my ubuntu, i currently use verizon wireless evdo card has my default internet connection, hope the use of wireless would not compromise it, i use inter pro/wireless 3945 Network connection driver for linux -which is a restricted driver, please any help would be appreciated,

I thought you have gotten through this a longtime ago or which edvo card are you talking about? anyway what is the name of the blog cos i wanna check it out. cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:30pm On Sep 04, 2007
omo i no get probs for the evdo, am just wondering how i can send files thru wifi,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 8:10am On Sep 05, 2007
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

its no wahala. i have wifi running no sweat on my playstation 3 linux :-)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:34am On Sep 05, 2007
thanks mate wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:10am On Sep 05, 2007
Darkmanzero i feel u. Hows the ps3 linux like is it yellow dog ? or ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 9:01am On Sep 06, 2007
Yellow dog 5.0.2

Sony was doing 'sme-sme' at the beginning refusing to allow access to the wifi hardware. When they finally did it was at first only to YDL, i dont know whether ubuntu, gentoo or fedora have gotten the improvements yet (there's an add-on cd that sony/ibm usually release with custom source code for the ps3, to use to extend your distro of choice)

ubuntu is on the ps3 but i hear it takes extensive work to get it to work properly. Gentoo supposedly is the best, due to its inherent 'from scratch' and 'from source' mentality, but most people would need a binary distro. The first linux i used was FC5- its basically like using ydl without the ps3-optimization. ydl is built with the ps3 in mind, and sony gives them attention first.

ydl has support for bluetooth devices including the sixaxis pad, but does not support the motion control functions. It recognizes usb devices, keyboards, mice, and bluetooth peripherals no sweat.

all linuxes on ps3 do NOT have hardware accelerated video. This means kde and gnome are dog slow. However ydl uses e17 (enlightenment) for speed with various gnome packages installed for added value (nautilus, gedit, etc)

since ydl is goddamn fedora, it means the kernel has been castrated of any ip-ambiguities such as divx or ntfs support. U need to painstakingly locate fc5-compatible power pc extensions to support ntfs (for external usb drives) and samba (for windows shares and cifs) and dvd/mp3/mpeg/divx support (installing vlc and mplayer can be a real challenge)

if you install the right packags and dont get killed by livna/freshrpms conflicts vis-a-vis fc5, you will get good speed on software scaling (fast bilinear only) for divx video and great perormance for mpeg1 and mpeg2. Unfortunately only the most basic postprocessing, and no other scaling than software scaling. There are projects in progress to leverage the power of the CELL processor for scaling and postprocessing (and decoding). lu-zero, unsolo and other ppc linux devs are hard at work and getting good results though not ready for fulltime consumption yet.

RAM is only 256 megs because RSX and its own 256 megs are blocked. DVD access is provided throggh a hypervisor so DECSS does not work, and blu-rays cannot be dumped. This means we can only watch unprotectd dvds thru YDL, but the game os on psp supports encrypted DVDs.

YDL looks beautiful on a 720p hdtv. ALL linux on ps3 looks like shit on a standard def TV. ydl doesnt even install on standard def unless you go to text mode.

due to a lack of RAM and hardware accel, usage can be sluggish at times. e17 helps, and cell optimizations are on the way for all graphics related functions.

currently, sony disables one network interfacve when the other is in use to prevent us from using the ps3 as a router- i have no idea why.

in summary:

linux on ps3 is nice, and though a work in progress you can already use it to extend all your divx from various devices to an HDTV, which previously required a laptop that costs twice as much or more. with cell optimizations, more applications are on the way, like hi-def divx and windows media playback/streaming.

Most importantly it includes full-fledged cell devkits for those who want to practice developing for the cell processor.

ps3 = neat techie toy :-)

but the 360 is better for games, that much is CLEAR.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2007
Helle people this is the official website for this thread and for everybody using linux or ubuntu so y'all should know logon to the site and lets get this stated alrite? http://ubuntunigeria./ wink wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:45pm On Sep 06, 2007
Helle people this is the official website for this thread and for everybody using linux or ubuntu so y'all should know logon to the site and lets get this stated alrite? http://ubuntunigeria./
yes o but its still undercontruction, am still working on some articles about installations and other basic howto, however anybody can contribute their tutor guides infact wellcome usefull post by all the guru in NL. it is hoped that the blog would be the home of the UBuntu Nigeria's loco group
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 6:08pm On Sep 06, 2007
guy i go call u when i get home bout how tommorrow go be alrite?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by deflick: 11:24am On Sep 13, 2007
is there a way i can virtualise windoze on fedora core 5.i  can't seem to get round the problem,  and any help would be appreciated, i love ubuntu but i don't like the fact that it seems to always be too windoze pleasing and that is why i wont install it, it encourages laziness , beside u can only get the real linux experience when u use redhat or any destro based on it, but all the same ubuntu is a good start for newbies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:11pm On Sep 13, 2007
deflick:

i love ubuntu but i don't like the fact that it seems to always be too windoze pleasing and that is why i wont install it, it encourages laziness , beside u can only get the real linux experience when u use redhat or any destro based on it, but all the same ubuntu is a good start for newbies

This is really untrue because i started with Redhat 9.2 and later used RH 10 you know the problem is people like you complain the cd edition does not come with enough software and redhat or fedora (there's no difference btw the two cos fedora is an extract from redhat) but truely this distros come with software you might neva get to use but the just pack it there anyway. Ubuntu is meant for the desktop and it is well polished and arguing it encourages laziness is baseless cos i use ubuntu and i do most things with CLI and i guess it is challenging and i have installed the FC 5 and i five the inteface boring i wonder the hardwork Niggy might have undergone just to make his desktop polished and spicy. and what kind of linux experience you get with RH and FC that you cannot get with ubuntu man come off it. The true is not far fetched, you are undergoing hell before you virtualise windoze from ur FC box and its something that is as simple as ABC on ubuntu before all this nightmare been fixed fron the days of Dapper Drake so man just try virtualising from ubuntu and see what i mean. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:14pm On Sep 13, 2007
Well i've been using ubuntu also and so far it's been good. I quite understand that there are differences between distros, some are more security conscious, some for the simple end users, thats why you have to pick what suits you. I tried RH 9 and didn't like it, that was my first distro no one told me anyhting about it, didn't read anything and decided to buy it from ikeja. Bottom line it wasn't just for me.
Do you know why most windows users are now turning to linux, its because linux now speaks in human terms, ubuntu's slogan is linux for Human beings, it gives what the average user needs at the same time gives a powerful back end for those who needs it. Thats why i laugh at mac users at times. They sometimes don't know that what powers their mac is Unix and yet most people would love to have a mac.
Some people even adopted linux just because of beryl am using ubuntu because it gives me a balance between power and usefullness and surely u can't tell me Debian isn't strong enough

My latest scren shot

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:45am On Sep 14, 2007
Nice Screenshot, hmmm what icon theme did u use
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 11:54am On Sep 14, 2007
people, stop burning deflick, he said he loves ubuntu. He just said it encourages laziness and to an extent that is true. Most of u had ur first linux experience with redhat which was like hell, so u were already gurus before using ubuntu. New users who start with ubuntu may never learn REAL linux because everyhting is so easy.

I'm just happy for bigbrovar who had problems with his aircard grin or he may never have learned to use ubuntu properly

At the moment I use ubuntu by the way, and yellow dog on my Ps3 (which is a variant of FC5)

Also @esquire, there's no such thing as rh10, and nothing like rh9.2
I'm sure you mean rh7.2 and rh9

I personally prefer debian to red hat because it is free of ip restrictions. so i tend to prefer debian derived distros like knoppix and ubuntu. I'm only using yellow dog because it is ps3 optimized. As soon as ps3 ubuntu becomes stable, and spu-medialib is complete, i'm off to ubuntu on the ps3!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by deflick: 11:27am On Sep 15, 2007
people, stop burning deflick, he said he loves ubuntu. He just said it encourages laziness and to an extent that is true. Most of u had your first linux experience with redhat which was like hell, so u were already gurus before using ubuntu. New users who start with ubuntu may never learn REAL linux because everyhting is so easy

Exactly, that is why i have restrict myself to Fedora yeah it can act like a bitch sometimes but in the end u get to understand more about linux, and that experience would build up ur linux knowledge , unlike using an over GUIed Distro like ubuntu, yes ubuntu makes the transistion to linux easy for Windowers but then i belong to the school that its hightime linux stop trying to please windo$e users, if u want to know linux learn, the hard way, that way u will have both the power and the knowledge to use linux, in the end u will be glad u did, hey that is just my opinion, N.B its really hard to express an opinion here without getting howled at,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:40pm On Sep 16, 2007
deflick sorry if you feel you've been howled at but even could be a real pain. i could remember when i was trying to get my nvidia to work. it was hell, what didn't i do ? drivers upon drivers editing xorg and messing it up and fixing it back. going to the ubuntu forum no success until someone finally gave me the solution which was just a line of code i felt like banging my head when it worked.
bottom line when problems occurs in ubuntu, peeps give you command line solution and you learn that way.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2007
NA WA O!!! Things dey happen for this world o.Am a computer engineer and have never heard of UBUNTU b4.its quite revealing that am still living in the 19th century.Alright,i want to join the ubuntu club.I use WINDOWS VISTA as my OS,can UBUNTU run on it or shld i dual boot with UBUNTU.

HELP OUT
JAMES 08035602633
jodina5@yahoo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 1:37pm On Sep 17, 2007
@Jodina;

System Spec ? ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2007
centrino duo 1.67ghz,80gb,512mb ram,bluetooth,wireless,dvd wr,wifi etc
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:55pm On Sep 17, 2007
jodina:

centrino duo 1.67ghz,80gb,512mb ram,bluetooth,wireless,dvd wr,wifi etc

man join the club man, i remembered that 3 months ago i was like u, but now pple in these forum can tell u how far i have gone, i also dual boot my system with vista, though i have not used vista in about 2 months now, the process is very simple and easy and ur specs is more then capable to host ubuntu, about the dual boot, gimi a call on 08022982697 am in lagos and we can easily hook up and i will complete the process for u, including installing and software, to read more about ubuntu u can check here www.ubuntunigeria.com
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 11:47am On Sep 20, 2007
lol.

The difference is that bigbrovar is a lawyer on his way to becoming a lawyer+linux guru.

However jodina claims he is a computer engineer already! Disgraceful!!!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:20pm On Sep 24, 2007
Am a computer engineer too and have not heard about linux and i think its not disgraceful grin grin grin grin
Men Jodina i think the guy is right, let me guess you happen to be many of the computer guru guys who thinks they've known the world with windoze and theres nothing there to learn anymore. Men look around you there are many things to learn about computing and if u wanna do that start with LINUX wink Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by RichDad1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 24, 2007
@Bigrovar,
I expected you during weekend but you dont show? anyway i guess you are busy.Is there ayway you can be giving me the tutorial online or perhaps on this site? Can't wait to join the Ubuntu Family cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:33pm On Sep 24, 2007
sorry rich dad i was down with malaria , and am just recovering
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dakmanzero(m): 10:42am On Sep 26, 2007
hmmm. I hear the word 'tutorial' and alarm bells go off.

Bigbrovar, I hope u know the true spirit of linux is:

'free as in speech, not as in beer'

in short, if you are giving tutorials, it had BETTER NOT BE FOR FREE, or you are being exploited.

collaborative help is one thing, tutorials are another. You will help the guy better if you give him ubuntu DVDs for free and point him to the same sources that turned you from a windows n00b to a linux elite in the space of a few months.

Giving people free tutorials is like giving a fish instead of teaching to fish. They will become linux exploiters, not linux users- not contributing to the community and expecting to get everything for free while secretly believing the linux community are a bunch of misguided fools.

Point rich dad to your sources.
Help him when he has problems.
Give him free software.
Give him config files and command line utils

But do NOT give free tutorials. If he's busy and needs coaching, then either you are

(a) his close friend
(b) his lover
(c) recieving payment for your services

To @rich dad:

Great that you want to be into linux! Dont feel that I am somehow trying to sabotage your efforts to learn linux. On the contrary, I'd like you to gain the full experience. In the beginning when I was trying to convince bigbrovar to switch to Linux, this was the approach I used and he is a 100%+ guru at the moment, in such a short space of time. When people have problems and come to me, i just send them here knowing that he and adewaleafolabi will sort them out. With luck, you will be just as good as they are. Just dont try to get tutorials, linux is about 'do it yourself, learn it yourself'.

Good luck and hope to see u here or on the ubuntunigeria forums, helping out other newbies!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:08pm On Sep 28, 2007
Hey Darkman right on the spot again, while i try to help pple's path to discovering the power of ubuntu a bit easier by providing basic support with cds and softwares , like u said the ultimate achievement of true enlightenment through linux is a jorney that has to be walked alone, nobody can do that for u, i remembered some 3 months ago u gave me the push and a stick to walk with, but it was me who took the dive and ultimately learned how to walk on my own, yeah i still have countless of things to learn and know , cus with linux u can never know it all , there is always something new and refreshing, the ubuntunigeria project is about given people the push and the stick that there would need to explore the world of opensource its not about spoon feeding, cus if it were that then welcome to devavu and the world of windoze, spoon feeding cripples pple for ever cus it deprives them of learning how to fish and the different way u can fish,

@ rich dad am now feeling beta u could call me on my number so that we can arrainge how u can come pick up the Ubuntu dvd,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 10:47am On Sep 29, 2007
I've finished the download for Ubuntu Ultimate 1.4 CD / DVD.
I am currently downloading Ubuntu ultimate 1.5 DVD, See progress below . .

Re: Ubuntu Linux by RichDad1(m): 6:24pm On Sep 29, 2007
@Dakmanzero,
Thanks for your points.Yes!i do believe in the DO IT YOURSELF"theory when it comes to computer stuffs becasue thats the best way to become a guru like you grin grin grin anyway i will looking forward to tutorials from you gurus cool cool

@Bigrovar,
How are you feeling now??hope you are better, cool .Bytheway i can see that you are very busy.How can i get the fiesty dawn or the latest ubuntu? and also with what i have read from the ubuntu nigeria website i think i can go thru some of the processes and if other help require i will contact you, so what about that?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by RichDad1(m): 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2007
Can i download the Ubuntu on my flash disk?? becasue my internet at home is fucking up(multilinks bullshit)so i am considering getting another link cry cry cry cry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2007
@Rich Daddy tongue

Yh, You can use alternate connections if the need arises, but since u're at Lagos - You can hold on, a copy of Ubuntu Ultimate 1.4 DVD has been mailed to bigbrovar in Lagos - I have just installed it, this is what it looks like . . .

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:01pm On Sep 29, 2007
Ralvy:

@Rich Daddy tongue

Yh, You can use alternate connections if the need arises, but since u're at Lagos - You can hold on, a copy of Ubuntu Ultimate 1.4 DVD has been mailed to bigbrovar in Lagos - I have just installed it, this is what it looks like . . .

Hey mahn that is what the ubuntu loco team is all about, just get in touch with me and i will fix u up this time, cus the last time we were suppose to hookup i was down with malaria, anyway am feeling better now, i wont be online for quite a while but u can call me and i will be more than willing to help u on all u need, that is what ubuntunigeria is all about. , 08022982697 hope to hear from u soon.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.