Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464942 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 9:12pm On Jul 17, 2008
I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my system. Please I will need assistance on how to install my modem on it (it is dial-up). The software that came with d modem installs only on Windows. THANKS ALL.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 10:58pm On Jul 17, 2008
pipmaster:

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my system. Please I will need assistance on how to install my modem on it (it is dial-up). The software that came with d modem installs only on Windows. THANKS ALL.

@pipmaster

No need to install modem software for linux OS, because this software is for Windows OS only.

HOWTO: install and configure dialup modem on Ubuntu 8.04

All you need to know your modem connection settings:

1.) Identifying your modem link: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/modem-identify.html and follow the instruction for modem scan download for Ubuntu. **If you are Nigerian residents in Nigeria, please skip #1 and #2 and scrolling down for special link for Nigerian dialup modem configuration at below.

2.) Connecting your modem link:

Network Manager provides tools which allow you to configure a modem connection. It should be easy to configure dial-up and ADSL out of the box, we should use Network Manager to at least bring the connections up and down.

IMPORTANT: You will need to know the following information:

[list]
[li]ISP Phone Number[/li]
[li]Username[/li]
[li]Password[/li]
[li]Domain Name Server (DNS) addresses[/li]
[/list]

1.) Press System → Administration → Network

2.) Press Unlock and type your password to unlock the settings

3.) Select the Connections tab.

4.) Select Modem connection or Point to point connection and press Properties.

5.) Ensure that Enable this connection is unchecked and enter appropriate information on each of the three tabs.

6.) Click OK to save the information you just entered

7.) Select the DNS tab.

8.) Click Add and enter the DNS address given to you by your ISP.

9.) Click Close.

NOTICE FOR NIGERIAN RESIDENTS IN NIGERIA ONLY:

adewaleafolabi:

@Uspry
The link you gave was refering to Linmodems which are not really in use in Nigeria any longer. Most people use Usb modems, CDMA modems and PCMIA so using scan modem really isn't neccessary since wvdial can detect these class of modem with ease.

Hmmm let me guess you're most likely using Reltel, Starcomms, Glo, Mtn or Celtel. Okay when asking questions try giving more details. I also use dialup. There's an article on http://ubuntunigeria./2007/09/10/dial-up-internet-on-linux/ covering Dialup connection on ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:03pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Uspry
The link you gave was refering to Linmodems which are not really in use in Nigeria any longer. Most people use Usb modems, CDMA modems and PCMIA so using scan modem really isn't neccessary since wvdial can detect these class of modem with ease.

Hmmm let me guess you're most likely using Reltel, Starcomms, Glo, Mtn or Celtel. Okay when asking questions try giving more details. I also use dialup. There's an article on http://ubuntunigeria./2007/09/10/dial-up-internet-on-linux/ covering Dialup connection on ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 11:27pm On Jul 17, 2008
adewaleafolabi:

@Uspry

@adewaleafolabi
Thank you for let me know for Nigerian dialup modem configuration! Let me go back modify my posting recently.

Since I am not dialup modem user, I use wireless network connection that Ubuntu automatically set up itself when it comes to install Ubuntu CD for the first time.

Later after update manager to update all repostories, my hostname was lost, i re-configure my hostname using /etc/hosts.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 5:52pm On Jul 18, 2008
Thanks Adewaleafolabi & Uspry!

I must confess that I am completely new to the world of Linux. I am switching to Linux because of the education I have got on this thread. I installed Ubuntu as an application on Windows in order to get used to it.
I will appreciate if I will able to get a "hand in hand" guide on how to get the mobi-kit modem to work on Ubuntu

@Adewaleafolabi I have seen the blog, downloaded the kppp application but it refused to install on Ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2008
pipmaster:

Thanks Adewaleafolabi & Uspry!

I must confess that I am completely new to the world of Linux. I am switching to Linux because of the education I have got on this thread. I installed Ubuntu as an application on Windows in order to get used to it.
I will appreciate if I will able to get a "hand in hand" guide on how to get the mobi-kit modem to work on Ubuntu

@Adewaleafolabi I have seen the blog, downloaded the kppp application but it refused to install on Ubuntu.

Where did you download kpp from ? was it from http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/kppp/download
See the easiest way of installing anything in ubuntu is installing deb packages. Its equivalent to exe on windows. What was the error ?
Try using the first approach the terminal way its quite simple for the mean time.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 7:58pm On Jul 18, 2008
@Adewaleafolabi
The terminal method ended with permission restricted when it was to give the configuration for the modem. It located the modem quite alright.

Do U think my installing Ubuntu as an application on Windows have anything to do with this?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 11:20pm On Jul 18, 2008
pipmaster:

@Adewaleafolabi
The terminal method ended with permission restricted when it was to give the configuration for the modem. It located the modem quite alright.

Do You think my installing Ubuntu as an application on Windows have anything to do with this?

@pipmaster

I strongly believe that ubuntunigeria blog is very complex for NEW LINUX USERS. That I never like the way how it configure step by step from blog. The author of ubuntunigeria blog should create USER-FRIENDLY step by step basic and simple for new Linux users to understand less headache.

In my way, there is easy way to obtain kppp (k) or gnome-PPP (gnome) on Ubuntu is running either way: Add/Remove Applications or Synaptic Package Manager. Of course you are required entering the administration authorized password if prompt dialog message.

This way:

1.) Applications > Add/Remove Applications

2.) Enter Search box: ppp. Wait it will search automatically for you.

3.) Select one "ppp" you want to install.

4.) Hit "Apply". It will automatically install for you.

5.) Once done completed installation, find gnome-PPP or Kppp that is located at Applications > Internet to open and setting up the following your ISP networking configuration information ubuntunigeria blog site mentioned.

Other way:
1.) System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager menu

2.) Hit "Search" button to type up the word "ppp". It will automatically search for "ppp" for you.

3.) Select one package of "ppp" dependencies depend on the type of GUI (gnome) or non-GUI (K) then you are ready to make the system changes, by hit "Apply" button. It will automatically install for you. After done completely installation.

4.) Find gnome-PPP or Kppp that is located at Applications > Internet to open and setting up the following your ISP networking configuration information ubuntunigeria blog site mentioned.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2008
thnx man , gparted worked ,  grin

and i wanna know all the terminal commands , how do i get it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 3:24pm On Jul 19, 2008
hunter1234:

thnx man , gparted worked , grin

and i want to know all the terminal commands , how do i get it

If your computer already installed PDF reader you need, then here is link at below:

Also GREAT UBUNTU REFERENCE cheat sheet that is found at
http://fosswire.com/2008/04/22/ubuntu-cheat-sheet/

You will find a lot of terminal commands on Ubuntu Reference you should print it out. Very useful!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 5:10pm On Jul 19, 2008
how do i install anything in ubuntu , ther eis no .exe file , so that i can click and install it ,
here its difficult , m goin crazy ,
this is wht i hav downloaded http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Beryl-Download-19790.html

the file is beryl.zip,
i extracted it n now there are 4 files 1) beryl-core-0.2.1.tar.bz2 2) beryl-core-0.2.1.tar.gz

3) beryl-manager-0.2.1.tar.bz2 4) beryl-manager-0.2.1.tar.gz

i just cant figure out the head or tail of how to install it ,

i hav downloaded mac4lin , its the same , many files , n i donno how to istall it ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 10:44pm On Jul 19, 2008
hunter1234:

how do i install anything in ubuntu , ther eis no .exe file , so that i can click and install it ,
here its difficult , m goin crazy ,
this is wht i hav downloaded http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Beryl-Download-19790.html

the file is beryl.zip,
i extracted it n now there are 4 files 1) beryl-core-0.2.1.tar.bz2 2) beryl-core-0.2.1.tar.gz

3) beryl-manager-0.2.1.tar.bz2 4) beryl-manager-0.2.1.tar.gz

i just can't figure out the head or tail of how to install it ,

i hav downloaded mac4lin , its the same , many files , n i donno how to istall it ,

@hunter1234

Forget it to use google for linux software like beryl and mac4lin from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Beryl-Download-19790.html! You need use terminal commands 'sudo apt-get install' from /home/username/desktop or temp files where beryl folder and mac4lin folder or temp files located something like that. I suggest you may delete off your desktop where 4 files of beryl and mac4lin located. Too much complex for that.

This is not the same way what Windows OS how to download and unzip those files! The linux OS completely different how to download packages. Windows uses .exe format or .zip format. Linux use .deb format or .tar gz format. That is clear!

Easy way to do this at below:

1.  Use Add/Remove Application that is found at Applications > Add/Remove Applications.

2.  Enter word "beryl" on the search box and hit search button. Wait it find its beryl software.

3.  Double-click that beryl software to be installed then go back to search box entering "mac4lin".

4.  Wait it find its mac4lin software, double-click that software to be installed, then finally hit "Apply"

5.  It will automatically download two software into Ubuntu system.

6.  Once it done, Beryl Manager should be located at Systems > Administration > Beryl Manager menu.

7.  mac4lin should be located at Applications > Accessories or System tools > mac4lin menu.

if Add/Remove Applications prompts message suggesting you to use advanced Synaptic Package Manager that is found at Systems > Administrations > Synaptic Package Manager. You still need enter your password opening Synaptic Package Manager.

Do same thing using its search box field finding 'beryl' and 'mac4lin" accepting dependencies (installation) and hit "apply" button.

Good luck!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:43pm On Jul 19, 2008
check this site i pretty much explained how to install applications on ubuntu www.ubuntunigeria. , mahn u are not on windows and linux has its own different way of oding things , exe is not going to run on linux cus its a windows binary , and be carefull when u download stuff for linux u might just end up downloading a source code , which can not be installed through double clicking , the binary application on ubuntu i.e ubuntu version of exe is .deb and u can download som deb applications from www.getdeb.net , however i would advise u to use the application manger for linux and u can read more about it by checking out the blog posting above , or doing a little googling ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 1:36pm On Jul 21, 2008
ohh , kk, i get it ,
thnx ,

if its not .deb format and if its not even in the "install-uninstall " thn how do we do it ,
i cant install this http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2008

if its not .deb format and if its not even in the "install-uninstall " thn how do we do it ,
i can't install this http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin

what u are trying to install is a theme , and they are installed differently , but it is has easy as drag and drop , u can read this for a crash course on the art of pimping ubuntu ,
http://linuxowns./2008/06/16/guide-to-customizing-ubuntus-look-and-feel/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:58pm On Jul 21, 2008
u can also try this link , its a dummy guide for how to install mac4lin , http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 4:25pm On Jul 22, 2008
@bigbrovar & @Uspry!!!
Thanks guys for all the support. But I have not been able to get the modem to work on Ubuntu 8.04. I tried the terminal method posted on http://ubuntunigeria. but got the following error "No such file or directory"

kppp refused to install got the following error "Dependency is not satisfiable :kdelibs4c2a"
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:16pm On Jul 23, 2008
fisrt of all i need to know the type of modem u are talking about , second when u open terminal and u run
lspci
what do u get , this will help me to determine what kind of hardware the system is using ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2008
pipmaster:

@Adewaleafolabi

Do You think my installing Ubuntu as an application on Windows have anything to do with this?

First of all,am sorry that this is coming late (am no longer connected to the internet). If you're getting a permission denied error, try addind a sudo before the command. And all should work perfectly.

@Upsry1
The authors of ubuntu Nigeria would look into that complain as soon as possible.

@Bigbrovar
wvdialconf has detected his modem i guess the problem was that he didn't put a sudo before the command. So it couldn't write to the .conf file
Anyway how you doing i called you yesterday and you didn't pickup. Anyway take care
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 5:15pm On Jul 24, 2008
Thanks Adewaleafolabi!
I added SUDO to the commands and I made reasonable progress. When I was to start up the connection it gave me an error. I think it has to do with the phone number I used. I used *99# for MTN. Because the process stopped at that point on the terminal each time I tried it. Or is it the network?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2008
@pipmaster

Go back Terminal command on the following code at below to make correct Username and Password as described next paragraph:

sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

In the above script(code), you will need to change a few pieces of information.

First, you will need to replace “XXXXXXXXXX@provider.com” with the 10-digit phone number and provider domain assigned to your data card. (For example: 001412064@vzw3g.com).

Lastly, change the password to the one supplied to you by your provider. This password is normally referred to as an MTL or PIN number and is typically 6 digits long, but may vary depending on your provider.

If you are unsure of what values to enter here, contact your service provider.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 10:11pm On Jul 25, 2008
My big thanks to Uspry1, Bigbrovar and Adewaleafolabi!!!

I have not however been able to start browsing on Ubuntu.
I have followed all your instructions religiuosly and I am the most grateful for them.

This is what I did
Went to Application>Accesories>Terminal
Typed in the command "sudo wvdialconf" press enter
My modem was recognised in one of the port and configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf

Next I typed in the following the command
"sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf"

A window opened with some parameters listed. I did the necessary edits (removing the semi-colons) as suggested at Ubuntu nigeria. Typed in my phone number, being MTN is *99#, my password- web, username-web. I saved this.

I opened the terminal again and typed the following command "wvdial" and then enter.

I got the following the error msg:

"Modem initilialized
Sending: ATDT *99#
Waiting for Carrier
ATDT*99#
ERROR
Inavalid dial command
Disconnecting at, "

What is really wrong, or is it not possible to do my browsing with this modem on Ubuntu. Please guys help me. sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:58am On Jul 26, 2008
all seem to be fine , try putting sudo before wvidial so it become " sudo wvdial" without the quotes
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 2:27pm On Jul 26, 2008
thank u ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 9:30pm On Jul 26, 2008
@Bigbrovar,
Tahnks v much,but dat didn't work?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:32am On Jul 28, 2008
@pipmaster the reason why it disconnected is because of your dialing no its supposed to be *99***1#
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:08am On Jul 28, 2008
abi o , that is the problem ,
is this error
"Modem initilialized
Sending: ATDT *99#
Waiting for Carrier
ATDT*99#
ERROR
Inavalid dial command
Disconnecting at, "

correct that and it should work

look at the one in the ubuntunigeria guilde

[Dialer Defaults]

Init1 = ATZ

Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

Modem Type = USB Modem

Baud = 460800

New PPPD = yes

Modem = /dev/ttyACM0

ISDN = 0

Phone = *99***1#

Password = internet

Username = internet

so fix that and u would be aight cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 1:19pm On Jul 28, 2008
@Bigbrovar & Adewaleafolabi, I believe I must have stressed Ur patience. But I will really love to be up and doing browsing on Ubuntu. I tried Ur suggestions. Let me show U d editing I did on my dialing settings:

Init 1 = ATZN
Init 2 = ATQ0 V1 S0=0 $ C1 $ D2 + FCLASS = 0
Moden Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
New PPPD = yes
Phone = *99***1#
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
User name = web
Password = web
Baud = 115200

[b]Note:[/b]I use an MTN sim in the modem, and the phone number on it i.e when using it on Windows is *99#, the username and password is web.

After the above edit I saved. And then the command:

sudo wvdial

I still got this error,
-Modem initialized
----Sending: ATDT*99***1#
-Waiting for carrier
ATDT *99***1#
ERROR
--Invalid dial command
-Disconecting at Mon July 28 12:27:46 2008

Where did I go wrong?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2008
Hey man don't sweat it. I was once a noob and so was bigbrovar. Now what phone are you using because that would help me identify where the problem really lies.
@bigbrovar i wonder why pip's phone is mapped to /dev/ttyUSB0 .Its a bit weird.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2008
@pipmaster please copy your wvdial.conf file and upload it here.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2008
@pipmaster am researching into the problem this very mo , dont worry i too had problems getting my reltel evdo to work , but when i did , it went s smooth as butter , the problem is that must of this network Dont support LInux , so to get things to work , u have to use reverse engineering , the good side is that once u have gotten it to work , it would always work , i use a starcoms evdo , i dont even know where the cds is , cus it just works with linux even without the cd and windows drivers , so my friend Linux can be frustrating in the begining , but with patiance and raw determination u would be better off and u would find the solution ,

@adewale am in lag as we speak .am in for 2 days. i brought some cds with me , i dont know how we can hookup , in any case i will be droping them at home ,
cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:33am On Jul 29, 2008
Hmm i'd be at your place tomorrow. Okay ? We in yarn wella

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.