Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464985 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 5:19am On Jul 29, 2008
i hav a problem ,
when i turned my laptop on which has fedora 9 and xp , it went to grub page (not he menu where i hav to select between xp and fedora )
its like his

grub>

i donno how to get out of it ,
help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by hunter1234(m): 6:06am On Jul 29, 2008
i got it fixed to dont bother abt it ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 11:53pm On Jul 29, 2008
bigrovar & adewale:

I'm so glad that you guys have really improved with you Linux. Bigrovar, abeg which starcomms modem worked on linux for you?

This Ubuntu thread rocks. I feel like I should just push Susu aside and follow Ubuntu smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:15am On Jul 30, 2008
O fissayo come over to the ubuntu side grin
okay about the starcomms modem that worked, most of them have extra initialization commands so you'll just have to add it to your wvdial.conf . The modem bigbrovar is talking about is the evdo card.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:36am On Jul 31, 2008
fisayo:

bigrovar & adewale:

I'm so glad that you guys have really improved with you Linux. Bigrovar, abeg which starcomms modem worked on linux for you?

This Ubuntu thread rocks. I feel like I should just push Susu aside and follow Ubuntu smiley

@ Fisayo from what i have heard suse is a awesome Linux experience especially its implementation of KDE . But the thing that hold me back from giving it a try it is their questionable relationship with MS , but that is just me and i know my reasons are based on sentiments. but if suse works for u then stick to it , it is a good distro .

BTW sumtin happened to me yesterday , i installed KDE 4.1 and i was stunted by what i saw, guy i can say much if u use ubuntu add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main to your source list , and sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop , mehn kde4.1 with plasma is the future ,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 11:26am On Jul 31, 2008
Adewaleafolabi and Bigbrovar thanks very much 4 Ur assistance.
@Adewaleafolabi, I am not using a fone to connect, I use a modem which uses an MTN sim.
@Bigbrovar, I await Ur research patiently. I can't wait to get on with Linux.
Thanks guys!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2008
@Bigbrovar
You want me to be jealous abi with my Gnome abi grin . But men that looks sweet.

@Pipmaster
Now i understand your case. Go into windows ->Control panel->Modem options and check if your modem uses extra initialization codes. Then copy and paste that code here and i'll tell you what next. By the way where do you stay?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 9:16pm On Jul 31, 2008
Thanks v much Adewaleafolabi!
I don't tink it uses any extra initialization code. It was an empty text area with a blinking cursor at the location for Initialization code. I live @ Delta State.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:52am On Aug 01, 2008
this might just work
run this command in terminal  (terminal is under Application/Accessories/Terminal)

sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

this would open a text editor now replace the content of that text editor with this i.e delete wherething in that text editor and paste this instead

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
ISDN = off
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 115200
Init = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 =
Init4 =
Init5 =
Init6 =
Init7 =
Init8 =
Init9 =
Phone = #777
Phone1 =
Phone2 =
Phone3 =
Phone4 =
Dial Prefix =
Dial Attempts = 1
Dial Command = ATM1L3DT
Ask Password = off
Password = 07028967889
Username = 07028967889@starcomms.com
Auto Reconnect = off
Abort on Busy = on
Carrier Check = on
Check Def Route = on
Abort on No Dialtone = on
Stupid Mode = off
Idle Seconds = 0
Auto DNS = on
;Minimize = on
;Dock = on
;Do NOT edit this file by hand!

make sure u replace my username and password with your user name and password

if that doesnt work ,  i then we have to know what hardware mtn is using because for now we are trouble shooting the problem blindly ,  so if it doest work
make sure the dongle/modem is attached and it is the the only usb attached then run this commnad

lsusb
what this command does is to give u the hardware name of any device connected to your computer ,  hopefully it would tell us who this sucker is so we can boast its ass and make it work ,   cheesy  when u run the command paste its output here ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 9:59am On Aug 02, 2008
@Bigbrovar!
I don't seem to get Ur last instruction. Is the command 1susb or Isusb. Because both don't seem to work.I was a given a "Command not available" error.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:32am On Aug 02, 2008
that can't be u probably made a mistake in the command ,  its
 lsusb
not 1susb ,  its lower case lettter L  not upper case i or number 1 ,  what it does is to list all usb device attached to your computer ,  their real name so i can use it to track the type of hardware that mtn is using for their dongle ,  once that is discovered we can then know the bitch we are dealing with ,    ls = is a short form of list ,  so try again

Am pretty positive that we can beat this bitch
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 1:00am On Aug 03, 2008
bigrovar, I must really tell you that I'm so tempted to switch to Ubuntu but Suse and I have come so far. Your screenshots leave a lot for me to desire, I think I must upgrade my Suse soon smiley. I would love to be able to actively support peeps and that may be only possible if I use Ubuntu myself so that we speak a common language. Is the Kubuntu you have the latest version? Is it a CD or complete DVD? Many questions, right?

@pimpmaster, I will love to support you, however, I will need you to answer very simple questions:
-what kind of modem do you use?
Name, model, type (CDMA, EVDO, GSM)
-How did you get it?
What Vendor?
-Does it run any special application on Windows?
Give details please

Kindly paste any error messages you get. I would help in detecting the issue with the connection.

I must say, that's one thing with Linux. We are from many tribes but speak the same language - kernel.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:06am On Aug 03, 2008
fisayo:

bigrovar, I must really tell you that I'm so tempted to switch to Ubuntu but Suse and I have come so far. Your screenshots leave a lot for me to desire, I think I must upgrade my Suse soon smiley.  I would love to be able to actively support peeps and that may be only possible if I use Ubuntu myself so that we speak a common language. Is the Kubuntu you have the latest version? Is it a CD or complete DVD? Many questions, right?

if its the looks u want ,  then its not necessary for u to switch ,  SUSE can be made to look just like Ubuntu without any stress infact since u seem to be a KDE Guy then i will say u should stick to Suse the more because Suse has the best KDE implementations , and the implementation of KDE in Kubuntu could be better ,   but in the end its still the same gnome,and the same kde ,  so u can love-vendor them just about the same way what ever distro u use ,  i get juice for most of my screenshot from here perhaps u can give them a try ,  www.gnome-look.org  and www.kde-look.org ,  how ever if u want to try something new or different then by all means i say give it a shoot ,  more over our group (ubuntunigeria) is more of a linux user group than an ubuntu loco ,  the only reason why we focus on Ubuntu is bcus  that is what most of us have experience with ,  so u too can help bring your SUSE knowledge which would be very welcomed , esp to give more choice to people who want to try Linux  .
about the kubuntu ,  yes its the latest verison ,  no its not a dvd it is a cd ,  but i have given some package dvds to a member of our LUG last time i was in Lagos ,  and am working on a bigger badder package dvd ,  so my friend ,  the choice is yours and like u said we speak the same kernel language ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 4:27pm On Aug 03, 2008
Thanks very much Bigbrovar 4 d clarification.
I ran the command lsusb on Ubuntu having the Modem as the only USB attached. I got the following:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International,Ltd FT
232 USB - Serial (UART) IC
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001:ID 0000:0000

Thanks very much for all the assistance.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2008
@pipmaster
Whats the name of the modem, what's the manufacturer name ? Because what 'lsusb' returned is generic(http://www.ftdichip.com/) and not giving specific information.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 7:22pm On Aug 03, 2008
@Adewaleafolabi,
The name of the Modem is Teltonika USB G10 manufactured by Microchip Technologies Ltd.
Thanks v much!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:30pm On Aug 03, 2008
is this ur modem ,

i had to go to mtn to scott for the name of the modem , u might be using ,

the infor u pasted helped and i think i mgiht have come with what the problem is and a possible solution but i want to comfirm sumthings first ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:31pm On Aug 03, 2008
and u seem to be online hook me up on yahoo my i d is bigbrovar
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 9:07pm On Aug 03, 2008
@Bigbrovar,Thanks v much. I didn't get to rid Ur post on time to catch U online. U are now offline. I dropped an offline msg. Just holla me anytime U ar online. The Modem was not supplied by MTN. Microchip technology Ltd seems to have a sort of agreement with MTN.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by talk2medo(m): 12:08am On Aug 05, 2008
This Place is Cool!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 12:26am On Aug 05, 2008
@pimpmaster, thanks for the info. It's looks like we may get to the root of this issue very soon.

First, linux detected your modem , and that's really good. It's also good to know that MTN didn't lock the modem; and that it uses the USB2Serial interface

Next, it's important to know the EXACT device that linux creates for the modem (if it does at all). Disconnect your PC card; run
dmesg
connect your card; run
dmesg
. Kindly the paste the difference in the output. It will really help to assist you.

Third, fire up Windoze and get the ff info:
`Baud rate (shouldn't matter because it's a USB interface, nonetheless , )
`Extra - Init String (Very important)
`Username and passwd (I'm sure you know this smiley)
`Phone number (may not be #777 smiley)

I take it that there's no special software in M$ Windows. Alrite then, waiting for your reply. Cheers!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 3:24pm On Aug 05, 2008
Fisayo thanks vmuch. U guys have really bin helpful.Bigbrovar, Adewaleafolabi and U Fisayo.

@Fisayo, U will b patient with me. I just want to ask a question.
How do I connect and disconnect my P.C card or does the PC card refer to d Modem?
Pls 4give my ignorance.
The modem comes with a special installation package 4 Windows.

@Bigbrovar, pls anytime U are online lets continue that process. I have bin able to download sum of those application. Sum cldn't be found by d search.

Thanks v much guys!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:47pm On Aug 05, 2008
@pipmaster you said some couldn't be found. Well why not post the ones that couldn't be found. So we could hunt for them.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:00pm On Aug 05, 2008
Okay i've got a cheat. http://wubdepends.sourceforge.net/ This helps to solve dependency problems while downloading debs on microsoft
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 5:20pm On Aug 05, 2008
@bigbrovar
You should find this funny http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7543174.stm It seems microsoft has changed its naming conventions grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 5:47pm On Aug 05, 2008
Cool wubdepends software for dual-boot users of Ubuntu and Windows OS! Good job, @adewaleafolabi!

Secondly, hilariously about Microsoft's newly naming conventions! Good job, @adewaleafolabi again!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 10:59pm On Aug 06, 2008
@ pipmaster. I was referring to the modem. I actually thot that it was a PCMCIA card (the phone bigrovar pasted). I'm sure I've clarified that, right?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 6:44am On Aug 07, 2008
@Bigbrovar and all this was what I got after running lspci,

pipmaster@pipmaster-laptop:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:00.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 83)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

Hope this will work,pls guys get me on Ubuntu.Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fisayo: 2:11pm On Aug 07, 2008
Way to go pipmaster. From the info I've seen from lspci, your device is not a pci device. Could you kindly paste the dmesg info so that we may see what we can do.

I bet you're learning a lot. That's what linux does, it makes you appreciate computing more and learn more than you expect.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 2:53pm On Aug 07, 2008
@fisayo

Obviously you did not read the whole posting above refer to pipmaster's modem that is quoted below. This is not a pci modem, neither PCMCIA card nor network router.

pipmaster:

@Adewaleafolabi,
The name of the Modem is Teltonika USB G10 manufactured by Microchip Technologies Ltd.
Thanks v much!

I googled getting the picture of Teltonika USB G10 modem at below:
[img]http://www.wscomm.ro/ro/images/produse/03_modem_usb_g10.jpg[/img]

Voice function.

Maintain your top mobility easy accessing to the Internet no matter you are in a train, bus, or in a car!

Be advanced by staying online wherever you are!
[list]
[*]Manage your business in real-time!
[*]Send and receive e-mails!
[*]Browse WEB database!
[*]Access VPN!
[*]Send SMS messages from your PC!
[*]Use Voice feature!
[/list]

Teltonika ModemUSB/G10 provides global wireless access to the Internet and e-mail and on GPRS capable networks. With the help of this device, you are able to log on to the Internet anywhere and everywhere with your notebook computer.

The modem takes the DC power directly from the USB interface, so no charging device or external AC/DC adapter is required.

We are working with the most advanced and suitable wireless bearers nowadays and looking forward to use them for our future products as far as they are reliable and suitable for customer needs. You will achieve much higher perfomance with Teltonika ModemUSB/G10 than with ordinary dial-up modem.

Teltonika ModemUSB/G10 has a built-in USB interface, just simply plug it into any notebook or desktop computer and you are able to get connected to the Internet via GSM/GPRS networks. Unlike PCMCIA modems, Teltonika ModemUSB/G10 can be connected not only to notebook, but to any PC having USB support.

Main features:

The data type and data transfer speed depends on the service provided by your GSM operator. ModemUSB/G10 supports the following data-bearers:

CSD/GPRS

CSD: [list]
[*]Up to 9.6 kbps.[/list]

GPRS:
[list]
[*]Quad Band GPRS modem 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.
[*]Capacity class 4 (2W) 850/900 MHz waves.
[*]Capacity class 1 (1W) 1800/1900 MHz waves.
[*]GPRS class 10.
[*]GPRS CS1 – CS4.[/list]

Terminal Equipment Interfaces
[list]
[*]Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 (SP4);  XP (SP2); Windows Vista (supported build from version 6.0.6000).
[*]Drivers available: Linux kernel 2.4.32 or higher; Mac OS X.[/list]

Features on demand
[list]
[*]External antenna.
[*]Support of more than one SIM card.
[/list]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uspry1(f): 3:06pm On Aug 07, 2008
@pipmaster

Please go get Teltonika USB G10 Linux driver download from Microchip Technologies Ltd site or modem CD to be installed on your system. If you do not understand this, go look at PDF-formmated online link: [url=http://www.teltonika.lt/uploads/docs/ModemUSB%20G10%20Quick%20Start%20EN%20v3.2.1.pdf]User Guide of Teltonika USB G10 [/url]. It states that it has its own CD including drivers and documentation.

Then Ubuntu will detect new hardware: Teltonika USB G10 as USB device.

Good luck
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pipmaster(m): 10:06pm On Aug 07, 2008
[size=18pt]THANK YOU USPRY it worked!!![/size]
I got all the information to start browsing on Ubuntu, in fact I am making this post from Ubuntu. I feel on TOP OF THE WORLD grin grin grin

I want to also offer my BIG THANKS to Bigbrovar, AdewaleAfolabi and Fisayo who helped me get to this point.
Bigbrovar thank you for offering me those private consultations. I deeply appreciate and admire you.

U guys are TOOOOOO MUCH!!!
@Bigbrovar and all please help wean me off Windows. I remember you telling me how to chat on my Ubuntu. Please how do I get to Yahoo Messenger chat on Ubuntu

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.