Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464840 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 2:41pm On Jul 02, 2010
Pls, how do l connect my webcam on ubuntu 10.04?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 4:05pm On Jul 02, 2010
System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager -> In Quick Search (Type: Cheese)

Mark the following:

Cheese
Cheese-common
libcheese-gtk18
libcheese-gtk-dev

Select (Apply)

You should be able to do the rest.

The installation will download and installation will commence immediately.

NOTE: You need internet to do the installation.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 6:20pm On Jul 02, 2010
fasho16:

Pls, how do l connect my webcam on ubuntu 10.04?

You can just copy and paste this command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install cheese

Enjoy,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2010
come lynx, how does that voucher thing work? i bought and used a 6hr one for 3hrs and logged out
when i tried to connect a few hrs later it told me it was used up!! so i have to use the 6hrs at once?
even if i cant stay online for 6 hrs?

lord, this is a gawd almighty ripoff!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by puskin: 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2010
. . . . oh!!! so uv already experimented with da voucher!!!! U no dey waste time @all. grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by puskin: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2010
4llerbuntu:

come lynx, how does that voucher thing work? i bought and used a 6hr one for 3hrs and logged out
when i tried to connect a few hrs later it told me it was used up!! so i have to use the 6hrs at once?
even if i cant stay online for 6 hrs?

lord, this is a gawd almighty ripoff!!!

Did it say "used" or "used up". I think it said "used" meaning the voucher has been used by your system on their server and cannot be used by another.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigbrovar: 12:03pm On Jul 04, 2010
Its been over a year now since I switched to kde from gnome. and the K desktop keeps getting better and better. here is kde 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:23pm On Jul 04, 2010
lolz.

have no fear, the next gnome desktop, which should be near now, will blow KDE out of the water for looks and effects!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigbrovar: 7:22pm On Jul 04, 2010
4llerbuntu:

lolz.

have no fear, the next gnome desktop, which should be near now, will blow KDE out of the water for looks and effects!!!!

I have seen and know alot about the next gnome 3. The only it it would do is blow its users out to xfce or kde. Gnome 3 seriously turns ur desktop into a smart phone like UI. and beside clutter (which is has an uncertain future since Intel - the company behind clutter - abandoned it for Qt -kde toolkit- in meego) what is the future of gtk? right now gtk is a relic and gnome 3 is not going to change that. replacing Nautlius with a search based filemanager is also a failed move people would still want to do their good old file management. and dont tell me about gnomeshell. That crap has no place for average users or even the enterprise. I look at the future of the gnome desktop and I smh. No wonder even Ubuntu as decided not to ship gnome 3 with the next version of ubuntu. also even though kde ships with kwin which does native compositing you can still using 3rd party compositing manager like compiz. This is not possible with gnome 3 you are stuck with Mutter (metacity + clutter) seriously the future of the gnome desktop is dire and nothing to be excited about.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 8:46am On Jul 05, 2010
Somebody pls try Midori

For a web browser it is very light & fast

http://www.elementary-project.com/downloads.html

Just 1.7MB

sudo apt-get install midori
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:19am On Jul 05, 2010
nazzyon:

Somebody pls try Midori

For a web browser it is very light & fast

http://www.elementary-project.com/downloads.html

Just 1.7MB

sudo apt-get install midori
tried it. . . . hmmmm quite ok
comes in handy wen d major browers r messing up wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 7:37pm On Jul 05, 2010
bigbrovar:

I have seen and know alot about the next gnome 3. The only it it would do is blow its users out to xfce or kde. Gnome 3 seriously turns your desktop into a smart phone like UI. and beside clutter (which is has an uncertain future since Intel - the company behind clutter - abandoned it for Qt -kde toolkit- in meego) what is the future of gtk? right now gtk is a relic and gnome 3 is not going to change that. replacing Nautlius with a search based filemanager is also a failed move people would still want to do their good old file management. and dont tell me about gnomeshell. That crap has no place for average users or even the enterprise. I look at the future of the gnome desktop and I smh. No wonder even Ubuntu as decided not to ship gnome 3 with the next version of ubuntu. also even though kde ships with kwin which does native compositing you can still using 3rd party compositing manager like compiz. This is not possible with gnome 3 you are stuck with Mutter (metacity + clutter) seriously the future of the gnome desktop is dire and nothing to be excited about.
bigbrovar, im sorry but ur analysis of the Gnome 3 is a bit distant from the true positions:

it does not replace nautilus totally but adds more functionality to it
it works with existsing hardware so compiz is very much compatible with it
you are not stuck with metacity + clutter
it makes working on gnome more productive

You may check the Myth vs Fact here: http://live.gnome.org/GNOME3Myths

BTW, i have tried both gnome and kde and i cannot deny the allure of kde. it is just breath-taking. Gnome, on the other hand looks like an antique compared to it. but because i stuck wth gnome cos i FELT there are mo workarounds on it than on kde. i found out that i was mistaken cos i found solutions for kde too. A

Anyways, i believd tht gnome could actually be tweaked to be as cool as kde so i set to work. Currently, i have the gnome 2 and i have the similar glassified effects tht u have on ur system, i also have an animated desktop(and can also use my favorite music videos), i also currently have all my multimedia conversion - audio, video, pictures to any format u can think of being managed by nautilus(all i have to do is right click). im sorry i cant post my animated desktop but i wld post the process as i soon as possible.

Well, to be honest i cant compare kde and gnome in terms of beauty but i just would like to add tht there is a world of possibilities with gnome. From where i stand, gnome gives me the freedom and capacity to realize any thing i cld ever think of on a computer. once i think abt it, its just a matter of time b4 i set it up 'myself'.

@lynxnoon, its a matter of choice really,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by sentix(m): 12:06pm On Jul 06, 2010
Eureka!

Finally Got My Izap @ Trendy to work on Ubuntu Karmic Koala after ONE MONTH of battles until I finally win the War!

Men This is serious!!!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2010
hey pls who knows anything about how to make videos of my desktop?
i need to take videos of myself doing stuff on my desktop or at least gif files that will run for like 1 minute or more

then pls i used to be able to save my flash vids by allowing them to run in the browser, then copying them out of /tmp
now i cant find them anymore!! or am i looking in the wrong directory?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:47pm On Jul 06, 2010
saw ur posts eaten by the spambot.
already tried recordmydesktop. found it was buggy and just nearly crashed my pc, had to force a restart!!!!!

other options will be highly welcome
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 7:20pm On Jul 06, 2010
4llerbuntu:

saw your posts eaten by the spambot.
already tried recordmydesktop. found it was buggy and just nearly crashed my pc, had to force a restart!!!!!

other options will be highly welcome

sorry abt that, i tried it and was ok but u can try the kde version - recorditnow. I'll keep checking tho cos i think i need that thingy too.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 7:24am On Jul 07, 2010
Some programs to capture your screen are recordmydesktop, Istanbul, Wink, Xvidcap, pyvnc2swf. Also see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreenCasts.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 7:56am On Jul 07, 2010
@ all, i was posting a reply to 4llerbuntu a few minutes ago and i realized that he may not even read it until the end of the day. I was just thinkin if it wouldn't be a lot better if ubuntu users and enthusiasts in Nigeria had a internet relay chat room (IRC) where people can come in real time and get solutions, answers to queries, network, or just sharing interesting discoveries.

Some of our research could be enhanced if 2 or more pple are working on it at the same time. It would also give immigrants into the the world of ubuntu some comfort knowing that help is not 24 hours away but instant and sometimes even physical.

Just thinking guys,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tripplex1: 8:32am On Jul 07, 2010

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2010
tripple_x:

who feels his linux machine can beat mine?? undecided undecided, take a look and post your replies

so wats super abt ur machine? tongue grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tripplex1: 1:26pm On Jul 07, 2010
tripple_x:

who feels his linux machine can beat mine?? undecided undecided, take a look and post your replies

im talking about the interface, the customization, DUH!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:56pm On Jul 07, 2010
@Bleep
well i cant see anytin unique here. . . undecided tongue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tripplex1: 2:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
lynxnoon:

@Bleep
well i cant see anytin unique here. . . undecided tongue

Well, why dont we see yours?? undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:06pm On Jul 07, 2010
looks like xfce grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 4:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
Afternoon people.

I've been running various versions of Ubuntu/Linux Mint on my desktop for about 3 years now, but i only just installed Ubuntu Lucid on my laptop (my main computer) last week. The thing is, I'm dual booting with windows 7 (for gaming and photoshop) with most of my data on the NTFS partition.

Now I've read that Linux is not very good at writing to NTFS and that using it could seriously @#$% up your data. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have a lot of stuff that I really cant afford to lose and copying everything over is too stressful and a waste of space.

Also, what are the essential programs I need to download? I already got banshee, skype, thunderbird and google chrome. What else do you recommend?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by tripplex1: 4:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
well, i always say, download what u use!!!, whats the point in downloading a whole bunch of supposedly nice applications u will only use twice in one year!!
thank God its not windows sha at least there is no registry to mess up and it wont thrash ur hard drive.

as per the NTFS, no thats not true. the ntfs3g package comes installed on ubuntu this days and has absolutely no issues with ntfs partitions. read and write is flawless!! that information is like 3 years late!!

the only thing you cant do YET (i may be wrong or rather outdated) is run fsck to correct errors on a NTFS partition, u have to use windows or an external app to do that.

you should be more afraid of your windows install messing up your drive!!!, may be fatal to the whole data, plus ur normal dangerous virus wahala.

why dont u try installing virtualbox, proprietary from their site and then install windows in a VM, its a win win situation. though am guessing u also play all those fancy games. i dont so that works for me. i only run a very few apps when essential so am ok. and ditch chrome and install chromium. u will thank me for that!!!

i dont dual boot anymore, my entire drive is ext4 and wont crash anytime soon, if it does, fsck will cure it!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.