Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,487 members, 7,958,479 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:17 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (482998 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 4:31pm On Jun 01, 2010
fasho16:

Hi Lynxnoon,

how can l get across 2 u, cos' l need a copy of ubuntu 10.04. tried upgrading my 9.10 & also downloading it {10.04} but it's taking ages to complete d download, due to slow internet connection.
well like 4ller said it depends on where u r but if dnt mind send ur details to my email so we can work smtin out
cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 4:56pm On Jun 01, 2010
4ller you funny die!Why you no talk Bermuda! grin grin grin. I don't have the modem at hand now but i will post everything i can find on it for you to see. P.S I am a prayer warrior!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 9:52pm On Jun 01, 2010
4ller this is a result of the lsusb command.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:29pm On Jun 01, 2010
well was the universal plugged in too?

cos i cant see nada, shebi u sef see the novatel there urself. no wrry rite now am dozing off.

tomorrow afternoon, we shall see saw.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2010
@ Double N, now lets take it from the top.

forget all your phobia for the terminal, it does not bite grin grin grin

1. plug in the bermuda modem and restart the pc with the modem plugged in

2. then run "sudo lsusb" in the terminal again so we see if it has been detected.
if it has, very well, if not. well i dunno o grin grin grin

3. if it has, check network manager if it detects it too. if it does, configure and attempt dialing.

--------------------- in case that fails
4. get online with the other modem, open a terminal and run " sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp"

5. now here we choose between the cmd line or the gui (gnome-ppp is just a front end to wvdial) wvdial will be our first attempt at this.

6. after install, run wvdial in terminal and see if it detects the modem also

at this point i guess feedback will be necessary so over to you, lets see how it goes.

@ all, i had been having this issue with my modem wherein i need to boot the dang thing plugged in with the pc else network mgr wont see it. i tried modeswitch to no avail. well i stumbled on a workround today, and i guess that may apply to other hardware too.

i have to run "sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart" if possible a couple of times and the thing then works wella.

i was surprised cos in the build up to 10.04, i thot i read that hal had been ditched, but i guess not.

the other workround is to run a particular script, am gonna post it if i get it right too
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Obeledu: 4:57pm On Jun 02, 2010
Please i dont know wether this topic has been treated before;

I have UBUNTU 10.04 with perfect desktop running on my laptop.

The laptop is Acer Aspire 5738z which has an inbuilt webcam.

My problem is i cant find the button to click to acces the webcam.

I am dual booting with Vista, it works fine under window.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2010
Obeledu:

Please i dont know wether this topic has been treated before;

I have UBUNTU 10.0.14 with perfect desktop running on my laptop.

The laptop is Acer Aspire 5738z which has an inbuilt webcam.

My problem is i cant find the button to click to acces the webcam.

I am dual booting with Vista, it works fine under window.

well first thing is you have to install an app called "cheese"

open a terminal and do "sudo apt-get install cheese"

or go into synaptic, use the search box and search for cheese, check it and apply to install.

when u then start it, then we will see if you need a key combination to use the camera or if cheese will automatically start it. cheers (as lynx go talk)

@ double N , well i just tried my own medicine, gnome-ppp, and it worked fine so,
it auto redials too, unlike network manager
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Obeledu: 5:16pm On Jun 02, 2010
^^^^ Thanks, i will try it over the weekend since thats only time i am free from office work.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:50pm On Jun 02, 2010
please i need help urgently. does anyone know the default password for Starcomms iZap? i was able to setup d connection using Network manager but didnt know d password so couldnt connect. please help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 8:20am On Jun 03, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@ double N , well i just tried my own medicine, gnome-ppp, and it worked fine so,

the gnome-ppp refused to install probably because the Novatel also uses ppp to connect. I will try again on a wireless connection.
muyiscoi:

please i need help urgently. does anyone know the default password for Starcomms iZap? i was able to setup d connection using Network manager but didnt know d password so couldnt connect. please help
what is your username? If your username is 1234567@starcomms.com, then your password is 1234567! Try it with your own number.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:32pm On Jun 03, 2010
Double N:

the gnome-ppp refused to install probably because the Novatel also uses ppp to connect. I will try again on a wireless connection.what is your username? If your username is 1234567@starcomms.com, then your password is 1234567! Try it with your own number.

what does this mean? i dont understand. i thought you used network manager to connect your novatel?
gnome-ppp is a gui for wvdial. it has nothing to do with network manager, or have u installed wvdial b4? even at that, it will install

i suggest u try it again, use synaptic to install, so u know if its in your repos, using ppp has nothing to do with installing Gnome-ppp.

else lets continue with terminal and wvdial.
and this will be better if it can be interactive, or shld i just post the process and leave you to figure it out?

1ST THING IS= IS THE MODEM EVEN DETECTED? lsusb in terminal,
or plug it in and ls /dev/modem lets see the output
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:19pm On Jun 03, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@ all, i had been having this issue with my modem wherein i need to boot the dang thing plugged in with the pc else network mgr wont see it. i tried modeswitch to no avail. well i stumbled on a workround today, and i guess that may apply to other hardware too.

i have to run "sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart" if possible a couple of times and the thing then works wella.

i was surprised cos in the build up to 10.04, i thot i read that hal had been ditched, but i guess not.

the other workround is to run a particular script, am gonna post it if i get it right too
*dont know why my last post/reponse didnt go*
anyways. . . . . i noticed the same thing too on my pc but i found a crude way to go around it: i just rite clik and disable n enable WIRELESS n/or MOBILEBROADBAND. . . . . . . afta dat i dnt hv to restart d pc or unplug n plug back d modem
But the issue now is wats causing this hitch? undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Obeledu: 6:37pm On Jun 04, 2010
4llerbuntu:

well first thing is you have to install an app called "cheese"

open a terminal and do "sudo apt-get install cheese"

or go into synaptic, use the search box and search for cheese, check it and apply to install.

when u then start it, then we will see if you need a key combination to use the camera or if cheese will automatically start it. cheers (as lynx go talk)

Thanks man, the thing works perfectly
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:10pm On Jun 05, 2010
Obeledu:

Thanks man, the thing works perfectly

thats nice to hear, happy to be of help. you are very welcome
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:30pm On Jun 06, 2010
ok so whats new?

@ doubleN u have suddenly disappeared
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 2:44pm On Jun 06, 2010
The new thing is X constantly crashing, bug in 10.04, (k)ubuntu, and I might be trying out Arch Linux and Foresight tongue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:10pm On Jun 06, 2010
x is crashing? grin grin grin grin

heaven don fall be that o
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 6:16pm On Jun 06, 2010
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:51pm On Jun 06, 2010
i dont know what you people like in that Kubuntu anyways.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
I don't use Kubuntu, the bug exist in ubuntu. See my post "(k)ubuntu", ubuntu and kubuntu wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 10:16am On Jun 07, 2010
4llerbuntu:

ok so whats new?

@ doubleN u have suddenly disappeared
4ller no mind me jo.I was caught up with a lot of issues this weekend. I will give you my findings once i fire up my machine.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by N9528GB: 5:33pm On Jun 07, 2010
I just installed Ubuntu linux 10.4 on my pc, but how do I install my huawei 3G USB Modem and also install TOR? Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:53pm On Jun 07, 2010
huawei modems, wells we no dey "install" modems for here o! grin grin grin grin

you simply plug and play.(insert and do, do, do do, till you cant do again!)

as for tor, omo boy go to torproject.org, follow the unix instructions for ubuntu.

check the last three pages for more info abt tor, i was doing stuff on it with lynx and v3

any further ish, ask here.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 6:54pm On Jun 07, 2010
I should note that you won't be able to recharge your modem sims or send SMS, but thy're several apps you can install once you are connected wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by N9528GB: 9:48pm On Jun 07, 2010
4llerbuntu:

huawei modems, wells we no dey "install" modems for here o! grin grin grin grin

you simply plug and play.(insert and do, do, do do, till you cant do again!)

as for tor, omo boy go to torproject.org, follow the unix instructions for ubuntu.

check the last three pages for more info abt tor, i was doing stuff on it with lynx and v3

any further ish, ask here.

I expected more than this from you, I just updated my Update manager and that was it problem solved.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:53pm On Jun 07, 2010
whaddya mean "you expected more than this from me?

what was i supposed to do hold your hand whilst u pressed the keyboard? dude, here folks have to be self reliant, not asking someone for how to "boot my pc"

i was not rude to you, i told you exactly the position without any ish, huawei modems are plug and play in ubuntu
for tor, u need to add the repository at torproject, authenticate it ab4 you download.

if you couldnt do that or understand that, then u ask and we try to walk thru it, else you get it done yourself and thus get more used to the linux way.

as a matter of fact i was expecting you to say i did it, but my apps not browsing, then i would tell you the catch.

Besides, like i said b4, its done exhaustively a few pages back. me and lynx/v3 just discussed installing tor here, should i start typing for you again? your mouse nor dey click back button?

dude, look me nor dey really send you oh, me and you don dey relate online from way back(other sites), only say u no go know say na me, and i CANNOT GIVE A GOOD REPORT ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE!!!
so its amusing when you complain about other folks.

this is ubuntu linux thread, here we help!!, at cost to ourself, without any fronting. if you dont like it, ol boy screenshot thread dey there o!!! u want me to address you like the queen of england? have you no sense of humor?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by N9528GB: 9:35am On Jun 08, 2010
This is what I was talking about, what did I say that u had to write up all this story? Anyway its really none of your fault you just follow the crowed like the rest in this forum, thank you.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2010
4llerbuntu, thanks a lot for the 10.04 iso file. l'm really grateful. Also, dis is still one of the best ubuntu's l have tried my hands on so far. it's really out of the box.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:51pm On Jun 09, 2010
I NEED HELP!!! pls pls pls.

i have managed to get a vpn client based on openvpn running on my 10.04, how ever whilst it connects to the server fine, i cant seem to route traffic through it.

thus my issue is simple, how do i route all my tcp traffic through the vpn.

NB i ping the vpn server successfully so i know it works.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:12am On Jun 10, 2010
well never mind, i got this ultra stuff to work on my box, i think the initial problem was after too many experiments on the other box, i must have done something somewhere to mess things up

i will do a clean install today nonetheless. apt-on cd dey give serious liver to dey re-install these days. grin grin grin

now thats the final straw, nothing to even boot windows for anymore, even ultra grin grin grin

NB though i cant remember all the things i have done to that pc, my internet is quite fast now, it just behaves funny.

like yesterday i was trying to download stuff of 70mb, the download mgr was showing 3kbps, i was pissed. i just left it, only to come back 5 mins later and see it had moved 30mb, in 10 mins it was through!!! yet all through it was showing 3kbps!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:51am On Jun 11, 2010
notin like my UBUNTU!!!!!! wink wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.