Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464534 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2010
DareDavids:

Hi bro, i see your screenshot. the best way to know tht you are not using the virtualbox ose (open source edition) is to quickly look it up in synaptic and make sure it is unchecked though how u installed it wld have told u as much as the one with usb support can only be obtained from their official webiste.

Be tht as it may, from your screenshot, it appears u have the one wt usb support. [b]i think u may have to create a universal filter [/b]that will accommodate any usb u insert into the machine. close the guest host and click settings. scroll down to usb and add one or two filters. personally, i added one universal one and plugged all the usb devices i had and added them all. but the universal one shld suffice tho.

then start the guest OS and your usb shld show now.
BTW, have u installed the guest additions,

lets know how it goes,

have fun, Be Human!!!
from my screenshot below u'll see that its not the OSE version i installed; n installed tru terminal following the instructions from the site

how do i add a "universal" filter? . . . . cos i added filters b4 but it didnt show d usb tho it recognized them but as "inactive"
well let me try an open filter n c how it goes

BTW,am about to install guest additions
cheers

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 2:00pm On Jun 24, 2010
smiley

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 9:16pm On Jun 24, 2010
I think that's outdated. You'd find up-to-date .DEBs on their site:
virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Update:
Just looked again, and it seems the repos were updated so you should be fine.

-[n3rve]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:04pm On Jun 24, 2010
@ ralvy where my wireless how-to?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 7:34am On Jun 25, 2010
Lol! I've been spending days at the mechanic. Should be free tomorrow.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 8:48am On Jun 25, 2010
lynxnoon:

from my screenshot below u'll see that its not the OSE version i installed; n installed tru terminal following the instructions from the site

how do i add a "universal" filter? . . . . cos i added filters b4 but it didnt show d usb tho it recognized them but as "inactive"

cheers

chief, i think u are on the right track tho i still see one "ose" package tht u installed. have a look at my screenshot with the same search for virtualbox. try and make sure u have only the proprietary one.

abt the usb, if they are inactive then it seems that the host has already recognized them and bound them, i had similar experience at first. i suggest u plug the usb after the guest is already booted and hope u got the filters ryt.

send feedback.

Be Human!!!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:22pm On Jun 25, 2010
hehehe
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:03pm On Jun 25, 2010
k
oshe jare!! grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:04pm On Jun 25, 2010
4llerbuntu:

hehehe
u jasi my guy!! grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2010
lynxnoon:

cheers

one more thing, i forgot tht u need permission to use the usb in the guest.
1. Click system>admin>users and groups
2. Click manage groups and put ur password
3.scroll down to vboxusers, click it and click on properties
4. check the box that has ur name beside it and any other user you may wish to grant permissions.
5. close the box with the box checked and start virtualbox

sorry abt the delay.

hope it works. worked for me.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 4:16pm On Jun 25, 2010
hmmmm
will give it a try
thanks btw wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 5:56pm On Jun 25, 2010
men no show oh!!
wil do a lil resaerch on it. . . .i know google shndt/ wont fail. . . .lol grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2010
done smiley smiley
notin a lil persistence cant fix wink wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 7:15pm On Jun 25, 2010
wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:27am On Jun 26, 2010
Just like that? Tell me what u did naw, ahan! See dis man o! After disturbing us severally
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:16pm On Jun 26, 2010
4llerbuntu:

Just like that? Tell me what u did naw, ahan! See dis man o! After disturbing us severally
guy, no vex jare!!
. . . . . just make sure u:
- install Guest Additions (i think this is the most important)
- add the necessary USB filters
- enable permission to use USB as guest (as stated by daredavids)
that should do the trick
. . . . i think the mani problem i had was from installing the guest additions,. . . . .i read from the manual i download from their site about locating an .iso file in the system, so i reinstalled it following the exact directions given in the manual. . .
the manual is larger than 400KB so cnt upload it here but u can always get it from the site
Cheers wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:05am On Jun 27, 2010
ahh, well in my case got the manual, installed the additions always

leaving the permissions part which is done where and how?

for the filters i was wondering, why not plug the uusb then select a filter for that particular usb? tried that, the modem didnt come up anyways.

but then i prefer using the host connection thru the NAT. that way i can use apps in both host and guest!!!
will look thru when i do the proprietary one though.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 9:12am On Jun 28, 2010
lynxnoon:

guy, no vex jare!!
. . . . . just make sure u:
- install Guest Additions (i think this is the most important)
- add the necessary USB filters
- enable permission to use USB as guest (as stated by daredavids)
that should do the trick
. . . . i think the mani problem i had was from installing the guest additions,. . . . .i read from the manual i download from their site about locating an .iso file in the system, so i reinstalled it following the exact directions given in the manual. . .
the manual is larger than 400KB so cnt upload it here but u can always get it from the site
Cheers wink

Welldone,

Ubuntu rocks shey, anyways, i didnt have probs with the guest additions, the reason being tht once i installed the proprietary version, i just went into the settings and mounted the guest additions and it installed it, so i didnt need to go get it again. Anyways, good to see u are good to go.

@4llerbuntu, get the proprietary version if u dont have it and follow the procedure to set permissions from my earlier post.

1. Click system>admin>users and groups
2. Click manage groups and put your password
3. scroll down to vboxusers, click it and click on properties
4. check the box that has your name beside it and any other user you may wish to grant permissions.
5. close the box with the box checked and start virtualbox

@ all, i just thot i shld share something wt u guys. I came across this media centre that just blows my mind anytime i use it. if you guys are looking for something that can play all your media in one place like windows media centre but just better, then try this:

Install XBMC in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, open terminal and copy the commands below :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

You wont regret it,

Be Human!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:21pm On Jun 28, 2010
kk
but meanwhile. . . . .put up screenshots na!! smiley smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:23pm On Jun 29, 2010
hmmmm
not bad wink but sound not dat loud

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:33pm On Jun 29, 2010
smiley

Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 1:46pm On Jun 30, 2010
This xbmc screenshots are really good. anyway, l need the settings for using MTN on my etisalat modem.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by n3rve(m): 9:31pm On Jun 30, 2010
web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
10.199.212.2:8080
web / web (auth. isn't required on MTN, but if the fields don't pass, these will work wink )

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by puskin: 6:59am On Jul 01, 2010
Come. . . lynx, why r u posting oppressive screenies. mMm??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 7:02am On Jul 01, 2010
@ all, pls who has been able to mod the ZTE modem to work with other networks. any ideas? im working on it sha - the ubuntu way

@lynxnoon, adjust your volume in the sound applet bfore entering the world of xbmc.

@all, im currently using a video as my desktop wallpaper, i wish i cld post screenshots here but it is quite difficult cos it's animated. Ubuntu rocks,  once i perfect it i will post the workaround so nobody breaks something, lol

talk soon.

Be Human!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by n3rve(m): 10:42am On Jul 01, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@ ralvy where my wireless how-to?

I've not had time to put a guide together, but the following are screen shots I took when setting up my Ad-Hoc network. Hopefully, they'd help. If there's anything you need me to shed more light on, let me know:

In no particular order smiley

-[n3rve]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 1:36pm On Jul 01, 2010
Love the Wallpaper grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2010
@ lynxnoon, puskin, v3 pls mail me

@ ralvy, yup, figured as much,  it only works unsecured shey?
well what i didnt do is set ip.

then which folder does that shares folder show up? cos i was able to look into my ubuntu from windows, but couldnt access windows from ubuntu!!

@all
this una XBMC sef. heard it can be used as a desktop enviroment alone, or am i wrong?

for that virtualbox usb thing, i find out that if i dial my internet and start vbox, it disconnects my modem. have i done it wrong or its just the way it goes?

for ZTE, what model? cos i know usb_modeswitch package in the repos works for ZTE modems, just install it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 3:58pm On Jul 01, 2010
@ 4llerbuntu

@all
this una XBMC sef. heard it can be used as a desktop enviroment alone, or am i wrong?
___
U're rite but, I'ven't figure out how yet.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by n3rve(m): 9:14am On Jul 02, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@ ralvy, yup, figured as much,  it only works unsecured shey?
well what i didnt do is set ip.

Just remember that the IP addresses shouldn't be identical. If you're giving ubuntu 189.51.64.10, windows should have the first three and any number between 1 - 255 except 10 which was assigned to the ubuntu workstation.

4llerbuntu:

then which folder does that shares folder show up? cos i was able to look into my ubuntu from windows, but couldnt access windows from ubuntu!!

Well, even on ubuntu; you should share folders, same goes for windows.
On Windows: (Assuming you're on Vista / Windows 7) Right click on the folder, "sharing" tab, Advanced Sharing, check "Share this Folder", click "Permissions" and give full control to "Everyone". Okay out to the first dialogue and the network path will be shown, the system name or the IP address can be used.

Install Samba on ubuntu, I'm guessing it should work without having to do this, I should try it out:
sudo apt-get install samba

Press ALT + F2, enter smb://192.165.45.1 (replace with the IP addressed assigned to windows), and a dialogue should pop up showing your windows shares. As expected, on a standard windows box, they're default shares in place for partitions, and another called Admin$, these are for administrative purposes.

On ubuntu: The screen shot above has that explained. After that, press Win + R and run:
192.165.45.2 (replace with the ubuntu IP address and you should be able to access shares across both systems.

As regards security, I don't see the point unless you're connected to a wireless unsecured network (not using Adhoc), but they should be a workaround to enable security, I just haven't got to it yet.

-[n3rve]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:59am On Jul 02, 2010
DareDavids:

@ all, pls who has been able to mod the ZTE modem to work with other networks. any ideas? im working on it sha - the ubuntu way

Be Human!!!
well i use ZTE mf626 modem n it works "out of the box" in ubuntu10.4
. . . . . wat model r u using?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 12:53pm On Jul 02, 2010
@all, guys, sorry for the mix up. I DO not have problem with connecting the ZTE i bought from Starcomms, infact, i posted the workaround for someone in my earlier post who seemed to be having problems setting it up. Here is my curiosity: I opened the case of the ZTE modem and found a SIM slot which was empty so apparently my ISP (Starcomms) was not using it. I've heard and read about modems being unlocked to accept 'other' SIM cards apart from the Provider's.

Hence, i have been toying with the idea of my ZTE performing similar magic. My research so far has revealed much though:
1. That Huawei has been the preferred modem by a lot of subscribers all over the world
2. there are so many unlocking platforms for almost all the Huawei models of modem
3. that there are unlocking softwares for certain ZTE modems of wihc the AC2766 is not among
4. That the ZTE is going to take over the market from the Huawei modems because of 'cost', i think

In summary, i was thinking if anyone had come across any useful tool. In essence, modding the ZTE would mean u can have your default ISP subscription (Starcomms) and still be able to insert a preferred SIM card into the modem and be presented with an option of connecting to another ISP.

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.