Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,426 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464318 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:32am On Jun 11, 2010
4llerbuntu:

NB though i cant remember all the things i have done to that pc, my internet is quite fast now, it just behaves funny.

like yesterday i was trying to download stuff of 70mb, the download mgr was showing 3kbps, i was pissed. i just left it, only to come back 5 mins later and see it had moved 30mb, in 10 mins it was through!!! yet all through it was showing 3kbps!!!
oh boy eh!! i just experienced d same tin now oh. . . . in fact i tink i have benn seeing it for awhile but i just discontinue my dwnload tinking it wasnt going
chk dis out wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by sentix(m): 7:41am On Jun 15, 2010
Hi,

I can seem to get my Izap@Trendy to work on Ubuntu Linux. i.e. the ZTE Modem
Please Help Help Help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Ralvy(m): 7:54am On Jun 15, 2010
Will I be the first to say Tortoise is slightly faster on Ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:30pm On Jun 15, 2010
nah not really unless you know what to do, u using my torrc? thats not the normal torrc.

besides little tips like use polipo instead of privoxy. i have both installed just disable one. polipo is shyte for security so when blocking is going on its easy to tackle, (sorry windows users) there have been times that windows tor wasnt working yet on ubuntu the same settings were working!!
but polipo is simpler and faster

privoxy is definitely slower but more secure!! working on tweaks but one def one is to disable the adblocking, disable caching.(over time caching helps, but not overtly at first, and only if caching is enabled on your ubuntu box)

put up specific exit points in your tor config, use the fastest relays available, watch the map for like two days u get an idea of which relays are decent. use them as exit points (torrc anyways)

a few other stuff too esp with ubuntu internals, cant remember offhand, but it does work, and becomes stable, none of that 2 kbps to 100kbps nonsense u see in windows , here u get a speed and its consistent, i get 40KBPS steady (havent checked midnite)

anyone heard of a downloader called fatrat?

@ sentix, well no information to go by!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:10pm On Jun 16, 2010
this is two rs downloads going on simultaneously!!!!, i wish i had more links to get, these sef na for person!! grin grin grin grin

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 4:29pm On Jun 16, 2010
@4ller
hmmmm multiget. . . . . . . will try it out n see it may even work on GWGet sef grin

my guy hw far? my APTOnCD I did from a lappy to anoda no gell oh!! I gess u hv tried urs successfully. . . . . pls what am i missing out?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:43pm On Jun 16, 2010
for apt on cd, it definitely works

you have two options:
1. burn the created iso as a cd, then put it in the other pc, ignore all the paparazzi, open up the cd with archive viewer, locate the packages folder. look for the aptoncd deb, install that.
then close the cd, look for the aptoncd app under system/administration, then launch it and use the restore button, point it to the cd.
it will restore them and when u open synaptic they will be there to select.

i have done this on virgin installs twice and didnt even need to update my synaptic b4 installation.

2 get the .iso on the pc, open it up also and locate the aptoncd deb, install. this time point the app to the iso, it will copy all the files back into the cache.
but this option, u then have to refresh the sources list thing, then when u want any app, when u try to install it, it wont download, it will simply skip to the install and configure part.

note that if u refresh and there is an update for the app u wanna install, u have to use the --force install option to install the older version u already had in the cache!!

i hope u grab? its straight forward, though without internet, i think the cd option will be the best!

for gwget and rs, i dont think so, it never worked for me!!

four downloads now grin grin grin grin grin grin (make una no let RS folks know ooooo!!! I LOVE OPENSOURCE, I LOVE LINUX, I LOVE UBUNTU)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:53pm On Jun 16, 2010
guy thanks
will try out the cd option
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 9:58am On Jun 17, 2010
@ sentil,

Help is on the way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 10:03am On Jun 17, 2010
@ sentil,

Hi, i just purchased the same Starcomms IZap ZTEEMT AC2677 yesterday and had some problems using it on Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04). Lucid recognised it only as a mass storage device and will not switch it to modem automatically. I also tried adding it to the network manager to no avail.

Well, after a good night's rest, i can tell u authoritatively that i am using it on Lucid as i type. Here is the setup process:

I assume that the icon shows on your desktop when u plug the device. This setup is to try and get the modem to change modes so u can use it.

The simplest route is to go to synaptic and download and install usb-modeswitch  and usb-modeswitch-data. Although i have to say that may be difficult but it's the only way because you need those two things badly.

Once that is done, restart your system with the modem plugged and allow it for about a minute after bootup. this is to allow the network to see the device through the usb-modeswitch. Do no be alarmed if u dont see the IZap icon anymore, it's for the best.

After a few minutes and the network manager does not automatically connect the modem, right-click on network manager and go to edit connections. Go to Mobile Broadband and click on Add. U will not see Starcomms in the Provider box so just check manual/other provider below and finish the setup. Then go into the new setup up u have edit the username and password (this is the most important part). Your username is the Phone number printed on the box of the modem. it has 11 digits and u would have to put @starcomms.com at the end. look at the screenshots. your password is also the Phone number but without the suffix.

Remember to check 'Connect automatically' and 'available to all users'. then apply.

Just relax and wait for it to show in the network manager, if it doesn't show immediately, restart.

That is it. Let me know how it goes. if it doesnt work, we wld try the wvdial option, my yahoo id is damilaredavids in case u need mo help.

Cheers. Ubuntu rocks - Be Human!!!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 8:46am On Jun 18, 2010
@ 4llerbuntu, pls i need help on this torino thingy. i have it setup but still dont way how best to use it, in a way.

My queries:

Do i need a working internet connection to use it?
Do i need a particular network connection to use it?
If i dont need a working network connection or a particular network, then ow do i get it running?
If i need a working connection, then why do i need it. (i have googled it extensively and still come short of an answer to this)

I'd like to do the dew too but the sun's too hot.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:57am On Jun 18, 2010
^^ cant say i understand, or appreciate the import of your questions
personally to me seems you are fishing for info, dude read the logs and term urself na, why u wanna spoil our management sef? u people are declaring billions per year, how is my 10k usage f.o.c. going to stop your salary? abeg bros ehn, na beg i dey beg, free this matter!!

or just open port 90233 for me on ur pc and log in to NL at 8pm to nite, i will permanently solve all your issues grin grin grin grin grin grin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that said, given that your innocent until proven guilty:
the stuff is for online anonymity, ip obfuscation, bypassing limitations, enhanced protection against online threats(dont hold ur breath though)

im sure u know that b4 nah, which is what puzzles me!

1. yes u need a working connection, its for online activity

2. no any network connection that has access to the internet can utilise it

3. refer to 1 above. you need the internet to use it, its for internet activity

4. nah, this i dont believe, nope this one na lie!! how can you google for tor and not know why you need it? like i said b4, its for anonymity, so instead of appearing to be from nigeria when traced, u appear to be from another country. also your internet traffic is a bit protected so people cannot sniff or view what information you are sending or recieving through it

anyways, as the caveat goes, its experimental software, DO NOT RELY ON IT FOR STRONG ANONYMITY!!!!

then what is the dew? where did u learn that phrase, cos i only know one person who says that, unless you are him?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:07am On Jun 18, 2010
nowto other stuff;

MUMU like me, i just "discovered" that i could create a wireless network with my wireless card and i did, made one with no security though!

then up goes me to another laptop and did a network search and lo and behold my created network was discovered and i could connect to it!

i did, on a vista laptop (shudders) but find that i could not view any thing from my ubuntu box, also while trying to access the vista box from my ubuntu box i find that i was required to enter some password, of which to my knowledge none exists on the vista box!!

how does this work pls, im a complete mumu when it comes to computer matter o!!!
way i see it, i wanna be able to tranfer files from both pc
then also thinking that maybe i can use my pc internet connection wirelessly with my fone!!!,(that would be a big relief)

HELP OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 1:21pm On Jun 18, 2010
4llerbuntu:

^^ cant say i understand, or appreciate the import of your questions
personally to me seems you are fishing for info, dude read the logs and term urself na, why u wanna spoil our management sef? u people are declaring billions per year, how is my 10k usage f.o.c. going to stop your salary? abeg bros ehn, na beg i dey beg, free this matter!!

or just open port 90233 for me on your pc and log in to NL at 8pm to nite, i will permanently solve all your issues grin grin grin grin grin grin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that said, given that your innocent until proven guilty:
the stuff is for online anonymity, ip obfuscation, bypassing limitations, enhanced protection against online threats(dont hold your breath though)

im sure u know that b4 nah, which is what puzzles me!

1. yes u need a working connection, its for online activity

2. no any network connection that has access to the internet can utilise it

3. refer to 1 above. you need the internet to use it, its for internet activity

4. nah, this i dont believe, nope this one na lie!! how can you google for tor and not know why you need it? like i said b4, its for anonymity, so instead of appearing to be from nigeria when traced, u appear to be from another country. also your internet traffic is a bit protected so people cannot sniff or view what information you are sending or recieving through it

anyways, as the caveat goes, its experimental software, DO NOT RELY ON IT FOR STRONG ANONYMITY!!!!

then what is the dew? where did u learn that phrase, cos i only know one person who says that, unless you are him?

sorry bro but your fears are unwarranted,  i am an ubuntu enthusiast like u for abt 4 yrs nw but never tot there cld b a community in nigeria, u may check my beans on ubuntuforums or my profile on facebook.

i dnt think i have to bore u wt my experiences so far, and i implied to u tht i understand wht i read but i probably assumed a different meaning hence the need for clarifications.

anyways, thanks a lot for your 'help',  enough said.

But a word, remember the whole essence of Ubuntu - humanity to others!!! Be Human
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:04pm On Jun 18, 2010
dude, my point is that i felt that you are a mole from a network trying to gain info

obviously you are an ubuntu user, that fact does not rebutt the initial fear!!

anyways, if u notice i am always willing to help, just being cautious these days.

FYI i have given out stuff to folks three times here on NL and they got blocked within 30 mins!! believe me. apparently the bloke was at a workstation inside mtn!!

sorry sha,.

tip: scan this thread a few pages back, u will get a lot of info.
any further questions ask, i will help, but not with settings sha o!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 5:18pm On Jun 18, 2010
4llerbuntu:

dude, my point is that i felt that you are a mole from a network trying to gain info

obviously you are an ubuntu user, that fact does not rebutt the initial fear!!

anyways, if u notice i am always willing to help, just being cautious these days.

FYI i have given out stuff to folks three times here on NL and they got blocked within 30 mins!! believe me. apparently the bloke was at a workstation inside mtn!!

sorry sha,.

tip: scan this thread a few pages back, u will get a lot of info.
any further questions ask, i will help, but not with settings sha o!!

Thanks for the response bro, To be truthful with u, i felt quite upset with ur reply but felt it really may have been justified. I'm sorry if i sound like a mole, anyways all this while i have thot i and a few friends were the only ones nigeria had in terms of ubuntu but i now knw otherwise and it took me 2 days of reading this thread from the chxta beginnings to ur current reign, (lol)

Abt the tour something, i have actually started (today) using it but im really sure there's more to it, like u said, i already have it setup but just need tweaks now for optimal performance. I understand if you are scared to help, i have the whole weekend to try n figure it out, tho i wish i had mo time but 8-5pm daily no be small thing.

i'll let u knw as it goes but i guess u wldnt want me putting something like tht ere,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2010
4llerbuntu this question is 4 u (i hope u dont tink i work for MTN (or starcomms)). anyway, some mobile broadband operators apparently have a 'no torrent site' rule. however, instead of blocking d sites, they let u visit them, and then block ur account afterwards. so my question is, can tor make them oblivious of the sites i am visiting, and maybe even the downloads i make?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:20pm On Jun 19, 2010
hehehehhehehehe

@ muyi. grin grin grin grin lol, make una no give me name oooooo, me sef dey find work for MTN o, senior legal adviser!!!

actually, i don know that like last year there were complaints over torrent usage on tor, s such most nodes now block it. i for one have been trying torrents on tor, with no success, not that i think its worthwhile cos its too slow these days.

i have heard folks claim they use torrents on tor, which i take with a pinch of salt anyways, i dont think its true, they are simply trying to put one off the true stuff they use.

nonetheless, one which i have tried and which i think will work is VPN. i have used torrents with VPN succesfully, and from my limited knowledge, that is probably the only way u can get torrenting securely.

make sure u use a VPN with secure layer protocol (SSL/HTTPS). now i dont know how good their network analysis is, but if they can view what your doing through a VPN, then that VPN must be shyte.

but the way they can know sumtin is going on is traffic volume, they cant see where u visit or what u doing (hopefully) but can see ur traffic volume!!!!
PS i do believe on starcomms etc, ur gonna be paying anyway so maybe that wont raise too many flags

NB what torrent ware do u use on ubuntu, transmission? i been trying Vuze and it looks interesting, actually worked when transmission was staring at me, but im just not a big fan of torrents, i cant stand the slow mess
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 4:25pm On Jun 19, 2010
hmmmmn, interesting. i guess i'll just give up on it altogether. i actually know for a fact that starcomms blocks your account if u access torrent sites unnecessarily. they even send u a text message that u are using their network for "scamming purposes" and they might not resume it. okay maybe its not because of torrent use. just speculating mostly but i think that's d case. anyway sha, i guess i dont have any use for the tor thing afterall. as for torrent software, i totally gave up on transmission when i used it once and it lied to me that it had downloaded about 50% only for me to resume at a later time n it reduced by almost 20%. i also tried out vuze after a friend sang its praises but i find it useful for 'lazy' torrent users. i like searching for and downloading my .torrent files myself. i dont like softwares doing it for me so i didnt use it for very long.
i use deluge bittorrent client and it has worked very well for me. the only problem i have with it (which isnt really a problem when u tink about it) is that it sucks up all d bandwidth and u can barely load pages once it is in use. i'm sure this setting can be changed but it makes my torrent download faster and i mostly download torrents at night when i am asleep and dont want to load pages anyway so i dont bother
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:10am On Jun 21, 2010
hmmm
this multiget dwnld mgr is not bad at all oh. . . .
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:47am On Jun 21, 2010
grin grin grin grin

u just dey sabi? wink wink

anyway, have u tried virtualbox ose? with the guest additions thingy? my solution for the dual booting wahala, no more xp on my system i use vbox. ubuntu sole boot, vbox in case its absolutely essential i do sumtin in winblows

lovely!!! plus i discovered the seamless integration thingy such that even me myself has problem remembering which os am using, the desktop disappears and leaves the ubuntu desktop, all the xp apps are running under too.

then to finally kill it, i also discovered a lean, barebones xp iso of like 100mb. it is practically the barest bones, and works well too, all apps install and works perfectly!, and its lightning fast too!. the combo. kill them!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:57am On Jun 21, 2010
hehehe, make i delete the face o b4 dem go put my face for NTA news grin grin grin

there is winxp or rather microxp running here too o, and am just cool hehe!!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 2:03pm On Jun 21, 2010
trust me na!!
d probs is i only hv a valid vista cd n cos i really beef dat stuff i jst dnt want to boda putting it in. . . . .
anyways let me jst try it n see. . . .
btw hw far my guy?. . . .how can i get dis microXP?. . . abi google go ansa me? wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2010
i hope u'all know that Virtualbox OSE does not come with USB support as a result of the proprietary nature of the USB support feature. as a result, u cannot have plug and play support for ur USB devices on ur guest machine using Virtualbox OSE. as for me, i stick to Virtualbox (proprietary one). i love opensource but sometimes, concessions have to be made.

as for multiget, i actually used it a while back but had to stop cos it wad corrupting files i downloaded using it. maybe its better now but i dont need to try cos i've found an ultimate solution for my downloading needs.

i use DownThemAll which is a firefox plugin. it is extremely fast and feature filled. plus i can also use it on windows and any other obscure OS so long as firefox runs on that OS. u guys can check it out n i'm sure u'll dump Multiget (which it just a frontend for wget) in no time.

i can't post screenshots at this time cos my internet speed right now makes the word 'slow' seem fast. grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:44pm On Jun 21, 2010
i have actually tried DownThemAll on windows. . . . was ok but still not up to IDM
. . . will give it a try here n see how it goes wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2010
4ller
I swear you've gon gaga or this is pure highness off some cheap swedish bitters grin grin grin
Axed the Windows and did the VBOX. . Loving it.
Will get on the multiget stuff soon.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:28am On Jun 24, 2010
guys i pls check out the screenshot below. . . . . i hope i didnt install d Vbox dat doesnt support USB?. . , . . . . .but i have enabled the USB Controller in the settings but it still wont see my usb drive
. . . . . . pls what am i missing?

Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 10:43am On Jun 24, 2010
Na wa o. . Tor is hibernating after being raped consistently.
Boys ain't smiling o sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 11:36am On Jun 24, 2010
lynxnoon:

guys i pls check out the screenshot below. . . . . i hope i didnt install d Vbox dat doesnt support USB?. . , . . . . .but i have enabled the USB Controller in the settings but it still wont see my usb drive
. . . . . . pls what am i missing?

Hi bro, i see ur screenshot. the best way to know tht you are not using the virtualbox ose (open source edition) is to quickly look it up in synaptic and make sure it is unchecked though how u installed it wld have told u as much as the one with usb support can only be obtained from their official webiste.

Be tht as it may, from ur screenshot, it appears u have the one wt usb support. i think u may have to create a universal filter that will accommodate any usb u insert into the machine. close the guest host and click settings. scroll down to usb and add one or two filters. personally, i added one universal one and plugged all the usb devices i had and added them all. but the universal one shld suffice tho.

then start the guest OS and ur usb shld show now.
BTW, have u installed the guest additions,

lets know how it goes,

have fun, Be Human!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.