Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463514 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 07, 2010
tripple_x:

firefox, Awn, wine and winedoors(enable you run windows .exe files), picasa,Gmount ISO firestarter, java runtime environment, eclipse vlc, cheese, ubuntu tweak, program manager, gparted, AVG (if needed), chess, cairo dock, chrome, thunderbird, rythmbox,, etc, those are the basic ones i have, then u can get stuffs like kismet nd others( u know what they re for), wireshark, packETH, Hex editor,
Huh

Thanks. Do you know any decent download managers? I'm downloading Fatrat now but I'm hoping there's something better. And whats the best bittorrent client in your opinion?

4llerbuntu:

as per the NTFS, no thats not true. the ntfs3g package comes installed on ubuntu this days and has absolutely no issues with ntfs partitions. read and write is flawless!! that information is like 3 years late!!

the only thing you cant do YET (i may be wrong or rather outdated) is run fsck to correct errors on a NTFS partition, u have to use windows or an external app to do that.

you should be more afraid of your windows install messing up your drive!!!, may be fatal to the whole data, plus your normal dangerous virus wahala.

why dont u try installing virtualbox, proprietary from their site and then install windows in a VM, its a win win situation. though am guessing u also play all those fancy games. i dont so that works for me. i only run a very few apps when essential so am ok. and ditch chrome and install chromium. u will thank me for that!!!

i dont dual boot anymore, my entire drive is ext4 and wont crash anytime soon, if it does, fsck will cure it!!!

Thanks a lot. That's very reassuring.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:16am On Jul 08, 2010
tripple_x:

Well, why dont we see yours?? undecided
guy relax i respect ur machine jst wanted u to give details of ur desktop. . . . lol
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:26am On Jul 08, 2010
@evil brain
forget about fatrat. . . . i tried it both on proxy n witout proxy didnt do notin
try Multiget n GWget. . . deres also Uget
as for torrent try DELUGE or TRANSMISSION
cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2010
lynxnoon:

@evil brain
forget about fatrat. . . . i tried it both on proxy n witout proxy didnt do notin
try Multiget n GWget. . . deres also Uget
as for torrent try DELUGE or TRANSMISSION
cheers

Well i havent tried deluge but for transmission, berra forget it.
best p2p app on ubuntu is VUZE!!! try that, it does work, even with tor it worked mon ami!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:13am On Jul 09, 2010
4llerbuntu:

best p2p app on ubuntu is VUZE!!! try that, it does work, even with tor it worked mon ami!!!
hmmmm. . . .VUZE. . . .n i used to enjoy it on windows in d days of Starcomms
alredy installed it. . . . . .will give it i shot wit my current connection. . . hehehehe
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DareDavids(m): 7:13am On Jul 09, 2010
4llerbuntu:

I humbly beg to disagree, i dont think there is a 'best' p2p app yet depending or certain parameters. I have tried all the p2p apps you mentioned and i quite agree with the comments up until VUZE.

My favorite is Frostwire - it's based on the famous limewire (which is proprietary). The main advantage which it has in my opinion over the others is the fact that you can do your MULTIPLE search in it for any type of file which a lot of the others mentioned can't even attempt. that means when using it, i dont have to open my browser. qBittorrent is close but quite heavy.

In other words, vuze may be brilliant, frostwire is a genius.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tripplex1: 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2010
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2010
i just tried playonlinux. very nice o.

it automates install of windows games and some apps. i think the list in it is a list of confirmed applications and games that work in wine.

it downloads the proper wine requirements, downloads directx9, configures everything. it has a list of applications that works fine. i just used it to install FM2010 from a dvd.
u can use .iso file too

i saw many games there, assasins creed, call of duty 2 and 4 etc etc. esp for all the Gamers whiners. maybe ur favorite game just might be there and work natively in ubuntu

check it out
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2010
tripple_x:

[size=8pt]The best p2p software i have ever enjoyed, and has been my faithful companion in the days of starcomms Dial-up until now >> BITLORD 1.1, believe me, ive used them all, including Bitlord 2, but 1.1 is the best, most of them are good, but bitlord has flexibility, portability, stability, speed,100% control and good statistics, 0 bug,, simply put, if bitlord fit download am, then the download must reach 100%, but if em no fit download am, em go tell you immediately grin grin

I dont know if it has the linux version, [b]but i dont care, anytime i wanna use it on my linux machine, i use wine(windows emulator),
, and i ve got no probs[/b]
[/size]

u mean u get to use a networking app in wine? how? cuz a lot of us have sure tried. apps that have to communicate with the net dont play well with wine, at least the communicate part, which is why so many FBT apps are a no show on ubuntu!!

do tell!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:06pm On Jul 14, 2010
Also found a script called wine tricks that helps u install a whole lotta MS sturvs like .dll's runtime liraries, even programs for wine too.

i guess if u actually installed a lot of them, most of the windows programs will work too.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:17pm On Jul 14, 2010
@4ller
checking out d playonlinux wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2010
just dropped d .deb file n gess wat?. . . . . told me deres a recent version in the software center wink wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2010
im dropping lotsa sturvs with the wine tricks script. ut im almost regretting sef grin

i checked a lot of dlls and sturvs i dont even know wat they are to download now its taking my time. 30mins now and counting undecided undecided undecided

well im doing dat cos i have a hunch that with some sturvs, not sure which ones though, even those networking apps will work too. cos i keep wondering why the playonlinux lists many browsers and networking apps, it must mean they work abi why is I.E, firefox there?

but why didnt u use the apt/source list option? i always use that o, instead of dropping debs, as i have found out, it makes far more sense than windows style installs. mine upgraded itself to the latest one
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:46pm On Jul 14, 2010
no mind me jare. . . . was jst cliking away
lol
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:35pm On Jul 15, 2010
well, it seems i've been away from this site for a little too long so this post is gonna be a little lenghty. bear with me pple smiley

firstly, i have been using a lot of things been churned out by the elementary-project over the months and have decided to share it with the rest of you. for those that dont know what the elementary project is, check them out www.elementary-project.com. they r really cool designers n programmers. my favourite is thier tweaked version of nautilus file manager aptly named nautilus elementary. you can check it out on my screenshot below. to install it, paste d following into the terminal. NOTE: it is a very small installation and is guaranteed not to crash your system. n if it does, well, my condolenses. lol

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

nautilus -q #restarts nautilus

moving on. i saw bigbrovar's screenshots on kde and to be quite frank, i have been mulling over the decision to switch for a while now. gnome is not just cutting it for me anymore. the only thing still keeping me rooted to gnome is the feeling that because ubuntu is using it as thier flagship DE, nobody else (apart from kde devs) is developing native apps for kde and gtk+ apps just look horrendously terrible on kde. i'll probably be downloading kubuntu 10.10 along with ubuntu .iso files when they r released in october so i guess i'll make my decisions then. dont just want to get locked down to d default apps kde provides me.

gnome3 has always been one uncertain journey. first time i saw it, sometime last year, i waas quite frankly very impressed cos i never thought gnome devs will take such a radical look at thier DE. i cant be objective about it cos all attempts to install it on my system have failed and reading articles on it just gives me mixed feelings

i installed midori a while back cos of just how good it looked n how well it integrated with gnome but after trying to load one page made it slow down my entire system, i uninstalled it pronto. maybe its just me,

read someone some pages back talking about an irc channel for linux n ubuntu user in nigeria instead of having to rely on nairaland. well, one actually exists n i was informed about it a few days ago. its mostly quiet now cos most people dont know bout it but what better way to share d news than here right? anyway, its #nglug on[b]irc.freenode.net[/b]. come join us there. (u might only meet d bot at first but persevere). nglug = nigeria linux user group. dont know what irc chat is? google it. doent know how to connect to an irc chat? google it. for clients, i personally use opera browser. u can also use xchat (sudo apt-get install xchat)

i've said it before and i'll say it again. for multiple fast downloads on linux, it all begins and ends for me with DownThemAll which happens to be a plugin for firefox but i couldnt care less. for torrent however, i wouldnt recommend Transmission to my worst enemy. i tried using it to download a 350mb torrent that usually takes about 8-10hrs on my useless connection and it ended up taking more that twice that time while downloading about 500mb and verifying the 350 out of that 500. i stick to deluge for torrent. even Vuse doesnt cut it for me

well there you have it. my opinion on all the things that have been hapenning on this forum since i last commented. and now for the screenshot,

PS: hope i havnt bored u guys out completely

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:37pm On Jul 15, 2010
muyiscoi:

well, it seems i've been away from this site for a little too long so this post is gonna be a little lenghty. bear with me pple smiley

firstly, i have been using a lot of things been churned out by the elementary-project over the months and have decided to share it with the rest of you. for those that dont know what the elementary project is, check them out www.elementary-project.com. they r really cool designers n programmers. my favourite is thier tweaked version of nautilus file manager aptly named nautilus elementary.  you can check it out on my screenshot below. to install it, paste d following into the terminal. NOTE: it is a very small installation and is guaranteed not to crash your system. n if it does, well, my condolenses. lol

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

nautilus -q #restarts nautilus

elementary? well your screenie aint impressive enuf my bro. grin grin grin really i dunno jare, all the attempts at enhancements for ubuntu these days just bore me

muyiscoi:

moving on. i saw bigbrovar's screenshots on kde and to be quite frank, i have been mulling over the decision to switch for a while now. gnome is not just cutting it for me anymore. the only thing still keeping me rooted to gnome is the feeling that because ubuntu is using it as thier flagship DE, nobody else (apart from kde devs) is developing native apps for kde and gtk+ apps just look horrendously terrible on kde. i'll probably be downloading kubuntu 10.10 along with ubuntu .iso files when they r released in october so i guess i'll make my decisions then. dont just want to get locked down to d default apps kde provides me.

gnome3 has always been one uncertain journey. first time i saw it, sometime last year, i waas quite frankly very impressed cos i never thought gnome devs will take such a radical look at thier DE. i cant be objective about it cos all attempts to install it on my system have failed and reading articles on it just gives me mixed feelings

well me sef dey wait gnome 3 eagerly, but u know its not released yet, u just wanna be a guinea pig for we patient ones, but then i saw all the matter for the thing sef, so i just chilled. no worry, it wont disappoint. for KDE, well look away from me, as far as i know, i dislike that desktop properly. will rather take a gnome mod like mint-desktop. for me, my no 1 issue with KDE is my apps just dont work well (i dunno why) and the networking this is crap jwo. maybe if your using LAN but for a modem user, nonsense. and thats coming from a person who knows quite a bit about struggling with modems grin grin

muyiscoi:

i installed midori a while back cos of just how good it looked n how well it integrated with gnome but after trying to load one page made it slow down my entire system, i uninstalled it pronto. maybe its just me,

alleluia, thot i was the only one who thot that midori thing was crap. funny thing is for me i didnt have a crash, it was really slow. even when my other browsers were blazing.
AND FOR AN HEADS UP: PLEASE EVERYBODY INSTALL CHROMIUM. not CHROME, CHROMIUM lord have mercy that is the shizzle. and the adblock extension now works for chromium like adblock for firefox.

chromium is super i wont lie, i even watch live tv easily with it with 75 KBPS dont ask me how, i just know that with firefox, e nor dey work but with this one, bam!!!!

muyiscoi:

read someone some pages back talking about an irc channel for linux n ubuntu user in nigeria instead of having to rely on nairaland. well, one actually exists n i was informed about it a few days ago. its mostly quiet now cos most people dont know bout it but what better way to share d news than here right? anyway, its #nglug on[b]irc.freenode.net[/b]. come join us there. (u might only meet d bot at first but persevere). nglug = nigeria linux user group. dont know what irc chat is? google it. doent know how to connect to an irc chat? google it. for clients, i personally use opera browser. u can also use xchat (sudo apt-get install xchat)

IRC, well i have xchat, just dont really know if i have the time and patience. will check it out sha

muyiscoi:

i've said it before and i'll say it again. for multiple fast downloads on linux, it all begins and ends for me with DownThemAll which happens to be a plugin for firefox but i couldnt care less. for torrent however, i wouldnt recommend Transmission to my worst enemy. i tried using it to download a 350mb torrent that usually takes about 8-10hrs on my useless connection and it ended up taking more that twice that time while downloading about 500mb and verifying the 350 out of that 500. i stick to deluge for torrent. even Vuse doesnt cut it for me.

HMMN, deluge eh? ok, personally i just dont do torrents except its absolutely necessary, but then i do know that transmision is a pain in the behind!! tongue tongue
what i have found very useful this days is jdownloader its what i use these days. just be patient to install it online and update the plugins each time it asks for an update. works fine, even for RS and Hotfile. i just queue them up (it captures links and tests dem automatically anyway) and start. it even does the whole countdown and catcha things automatically too. great app, allows me to browse withou constantly checking up downloads, and the speed is very reasonable too

muyiscoi:

well there you have it. my opinion on all the things that have been hapenning on this forum since i last commented. and now for the screenshot,

PS: hope i havnt bored u guys out completely

not really. PS have u tried the vpn thingy with xcomms? if u can have the patience to subscribe to YF, i think the enhanced acct shld be gud enuf, (512KBPS) with the open vpn it will work fine.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:21pm On Jul 16, 2010
not impresssed by d screenie eh! well i'll have to do something about that.

4llerbuntu:

not really. PS have u tried the vpn thingy with xcomms? if u can have the patience to subscribe to YF, i think the enhanced acct shld be gud enuf, (512KBPS) with the open vpn it will work fine.

i will like to pretend that i know what youre talking about here but unfortunately, i have no idea. the only thing i recognise in that sentence is YF. but how it ties in with vpn and everything else, no idea.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:08am On Jul 17, 2010
oi, my bad. thot you was the one who asked me about torrents on starcomms. i remember telling that person to explore using a VPN.

was just expanding on that
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2010
ohoh. i think i did ask something like that but xcomms did not equal starcomms in my head so that just made everything else meaninglesss. i havnt tried any VPN thing with starcomms. for now, i havnt even renewed my subscription for this month n don't know if i will. shopping for something better that will allow me to get my torrents without wahala. if i do renew d subscription, i'll probably join u and search for my downloadables all over file hosting sites like rapidshare n stuff.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:41pm On Jul 18, 2010
dude, when u get that better option pls let me know o.

cos as far as i know, the no limit on starcomms is far more of a bargain than any crap any other person provides in nigeria
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 2:08pm On Jul 19, 2010
miro miro. . . . wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by abes(m): 4:44pm On Jul 19, 2010
Hi guys, I just joined this ubuntu family today. I need a step by step help on how to configure my multilinks evdo modem.
I must confess, i'm loving this ubuntu already. Micro$ has just lost one loyalist.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:59pm On Jul 19, 2010
@ lynxnoon, miro no dey stream live tv na!

wats the use when totem and minitube does the exact same thing. abeg, na livetv be the way naw o, enuf ITV etc in the house, na dat time u go know say vlc na baba.

pls when will somebody in nigeria guarantee 512KBps? cos with that, im very ok, HITV, DSTV they can go to korea and stay there permanently.

@ EVDO modem, well plug it in na! u say u want to use the modem, i dont suppose you havent plugged it in? besides, if u need help, give indepth information about what you want, for hardware, include the details about that hardware!!
i dont think i have seen a multilinks evdo modem b4, so if u dont give info i cant help u
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon2: 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2010
@ 4ller
i was jst testing a youtube link on miroTV
hw far na? wats d gist wit dose channels on movie player?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jidobaba(m): 8:09pm On Jul 19, 2010
Guys, I think that I am finally ready to give Ubuntu a go. Problem is that I be complete JJC
Can you pls direct me to the pages where I can get step by step info on installing Ubuntu on my system.
I want to make it as lightweight as possible( Windows will remain my primary OS), just that I hear linux is good for developing programming skills, thats all I want it for.
Thanks

Pardon me, but I use an HP Netbook shocked
Re: Ubuntu Linux by abes(m): 8:44pm On Jul 19, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@ lynxnoon, miro no dey stream live tv na!

wats the use when totem and minitube does the exact same thing. abeg, na livetv be the way naw o, enuf ITV etc in the house, na dat time u go know say vlc na baba.

pls when will somebody in nigeria guarantee 512KBps? cos with that, im very ok, HITV, DSTV they can go to korea and stay there permanently.

@ EVDO modem, well plug it in na! u say u want to use the modem, i dont suppose you havent plugged it in? besides, if u need help, give indepth information about what you want, for hardware, include the details about that hardware!!
i dont think i have seen a multilinks evdo modem b4, so if u dont give info i cant help u

@4lla
the modem is Huewei EC226 for CDMA, to connect it is giving me headache, I've tried connecting with MTN 3g modem and it didn't give any problem at all.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:18pm On Jul 19, 2010
jidobaba:

Guys, I think that I am finally ready to give Ubuntu a go. Problem is that I be complete JJC
Can you pls direct me to the pages where I can get step by step info on installing Ubuntu on my system.
I want to make it as lightweight as possible( Windows will remain my primary OS), just that I hear linux is good for developing programming skills, thats all I want it for.
Thanks

Pardon me, but I use an HP Netbook shocked

start by typing "ubuntu" on search den go to d site for more details

read the whole of this thread. . . . . .

and yeah. . . . download the netbook version since u r using a net book

CHEERS
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:48pm On Jul 19, 2010
@jidobaba

First of all, if you dont have d image already, download the image for the netbook edition like lynxwood said. the installation is pretty straightforward. after that, any issues you have, just post it here, n we'll try to answer it for you. PS: google is your friend

@abes. you have to realise first of all, that it is a CDMA modem. you have to know the username and password of your modem .if you dont know it, try and find out. presumably, you can do that from the software you use to dail on windows. the password is usually the phone number of the modem (at least that is the case in starcomms and zoom) and the username is usually the phone number @something.com for starcomms, its phoneno@starcomms.com. findout what it is for multilinks. i havnt tried multilinks modem on ubuntu before but i have tried starcomms n zoom (both CDMA) and they work flawlessly. i'll try to give u some tips.

i hate to tell new linux users to type in shell commands but i guess i'll have to break my rule for now.

if you've plugged in d device, remove it.

open your terminal (Applications > Accessories >Terminal) and type in the following
lsusb

it should list out a couple of things for you. put in your modem after this and type it again
compare the two results and see if there is a new entry in the second result and if it is properly described (not just something like Device 005smiley
if there is a new entry, that means you're modem is properly recognized.

next, rightclick on the network icon on the top panel and click on "Edit connections". on the network connections box, click on the "Mobile Broadband" tab. then click on "add". the wizard that comes up is pretty straightforward to follow. just make sure you select CDMA instead of GSM technology. manually enter your username and password for the modem when prompted and be sure to check "Connect automatically". once you are done, it should try dailing immediately and connect. if it doesnt, click on the network icon on the desktop n u should see an entry for multilinks there. click on it and see if it connects. if it doesnt, try n make screenshots of what you did and post it here so we can further help u debug it. cheers smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jidobaba(m): 11:10pm On Jul 19, 2010
thanks
I have been downloadin Ubuntu for netbooks since morning, even before posting. the tin is promising to finish downloading in 4-5 days. so, in the meantime I want to stock up on essential info on strictly need-to-know basis.
However, attempting to go through the thread in its entirety will render me catatonic.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:15pm On Jul 19, 2010
jidobaba:

thanks
I have been downloadin Ubuntu for netbooks since morning, even before posting. the tin is promising to finish downloading in 4-5 days. so, in the meantime I want to stock up on essential info on strictly need-to-know basis.
However, attempting to go through the thread in its entirety will render me catatonic.
just browse tru it. . . or tk ur time in reading d interesting parts
u wont regret it wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nazzyon(m): 11:43pm On Jul 19, 2010
Just read about Midori now.

Apologies guys.

_______

Guess I didn't notice 'cos I refrained from using the internet for a while.
_______
Re: Ubuntu Linux by abes(m): 1:26am On Jul 20, 2010
After long hours of research, i was able to connect my Multilinks to the internet. I eventually used wvdial, i edited the /etc/wvdial.conf file as shown in the pic.

It feels good to be in charge of your system cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.