Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,528 members, 7,812,643 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile (30768 Views)

OMG VIDEO: Nigerians Tattoo Their Lips PINK! / African Women Who Tattoo Their Gums Black For A More Beautiful Smile (VIDEO) / Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by neksummi(m): 12:02am On Jan 08, 2013
Good for them.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Tinyemeka(m): 12:03am On Jan 08, 2013
Chai. I used to think na only Oyibo people dey craze. Alas! I am grossly mistaken.

2 Likes

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 12:06am On Jan 08, 2013
sexkillz: Iberiberism. . .

^^what he said. tongue
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 08, 2013
Tinyemeka: Chai. I used to think na only Oyibo people dey craze. Alas! I am grossly mistaken.

grin grin
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:07am On Jan 08, 2013
See d mouth lyk anus

1 Like

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by jamest3(m): 12:10am On Jan 08, 2013
diluminati: the pic makes me want to vomit! grrrrgh

you get belle?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by UNLEASHED(m): 12:19am On Jan 08, 2013
sexkillz: Iberiberism. . .

How is it "iberiberism"? It's their culture for fhuck sake
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by afm4ever(m): 12:19am On Jan 08, 2013
Some people dey try for this world o[color=#990000][/color] cool cool
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by abdul23(m): 12:34am On Jan 08, 2013
Smile?hmmm nawa o.does that mean they would not cry?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by adewaleafolabi(m): 12:35am On Jan 08, 2013
[size=16pt]HIV[/size]
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by tutu1: 12:54am On Jan 08, 2013
.......... damn
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 1:19am On Jan 08, 2013
PUNISHMENT of self
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 1:31am On Jan 08, 2013
Many fulani in Gambia do this as well.

I know some people who TRIED to do it. Lol. The backed out after 3-4 stings with the needle grin
I also know some people who did this when they were around 14 years..it also makes a dark mark around the mouth for many of the girls.
This is no worse than tribal-marks getting cut into the face or the body, people.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 1:32am On Jan 08, 2013

wink
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 1:50am On Jan 08, 2013
I doubt if they know the composition of the substance and the side effects of what they use to color their gums. It can be dangerous to their health in the future. For culture sake there should be room for sanity in things Africans display sometimes.

I know we are not savages, just exhibiting culture is not enough excuse though.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by sweetgala(m): 1:50am On Jan 08, 2013
As mentioned above it is part of tradition it's rather odds that a western way of viewing African acts as uncivilized has taken prevalence in many Nigerians.
The practice as explained takes its roots from tradition, advantages are stated to include suppression of odours, teeth whitening and healthier gums that bleed less.
Same goes for tribal marks once accepted as important facial beautification and clan signifier now seen as inhumane scaring.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 1:54am On Jan 08, 2013
sweet_gala: As mentioned above it is part of tradition it's rather odds that a western way of viewing African acts as uncivilized has taken prevalence in many Nigerians.
The practice as explained takes its roots from tradition, advantages are stated to include suppression of odours, teeth whitening and healthier gums that bleed less.
Same goes for tribal marks once accepted as important facial beautification and clan signifier now seen as inhumane scaring.
Nice try. Do you have facial marks?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by sweetgala(m): 1:54am On Jan 08, 2013
all4naija: I doubt if they know the composition of the substance and the side effects of what they use to color their gums. It can be dangerous to their health in the future. For culture sake there should be room for sanity in thing Africans display sometimes.

Why don't those overpaid vasity scientists,researchers and civil servants in the respective ministries spend some of their time understanding this practice.
It's benefits and risks, the world might just be better for it. Or they might discover something else very important in the process.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 08, 2013
sweet_gala:

Why don't those overpaid vasity scientists,researchers and civil servants in the respective ministries spend some of their time understanding this practice.
It's benefits and risks, the world might just be better for it. Or they might discover something else very important in the process.
The rhetorical question is nothing new. The scientists in Africa are much like imbeciles. They wait on the Westerners for every little discovery. And, they are just good at showing off to the locals back home in Africa.

I don't like them anyway. Excepting for a few(still not encouraging).

1 Like

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 2:15am On Jan 08, 2013
smiley blackness of gums is a beauty criteria . as well as strabismus and having a gap between the incisors all grand mamas have all the mouth area tattooed as well.

smiley
https://www.nairaland.com/895621/beauty-senegalese-women-most-beautiful
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by cfours: 2:54am On Jan 08, 2013
cool

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Originalsly: 3:08am On Jan 08, 2013
all4naija: I doubt if they know the composition of the substance and the side effects of what they use to color their gums. It can be dangerous to their health in the future. For culture sake there should be room for sanity in things Africans display sometimes.

You have doubts....is it because its done by Africans and not Westerners? You have doubts....although they have been doing this for generations? Do you have doubts about medications that your doctor prescribe?.... when you know many approved drugs end up having serious side effects and lead to death? If that's their culture or tradition so be it.....love it or leave it. I don't think its necessary cause to me they are naturally damn beautiful!

2 Likes

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Originalsly: 3:44am On Jan 08, 2013
sweet_gala:

..... they might discover something else very important in the process.
hmmmm.....interesting.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 4:15am On Jan 08, 2013
Originalsly: You have doubts....is it because its done by Africans and not Westerners? You have doubts....although they have been doing this for generations? Do you have doubts about medications that your doctor prescribe?.... when you know many approved drugs end up having serious side effects and lead to death? If that's their culture or tradition so be it.....love it or leave it. I don't think its necessary cause to me they are naturally damn beautiful!
Keep thinking you are still in the 18th century. Spare me this your failure to move with the world. learn to embrace change or else the world is going to leave you behind.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by cfours: 4:24am On Jan 08, 2013
all4naija: Keep thinking you are still in the 18th century. Spare me this your failure to move with the world. learn to embrace change or else the world is going to leave you behind.

I hereby tattoo you with the stamp of stupidity.
[img]http://www.owned.lv/images/x3xbee291c3d5dfec6fe172c1df4d0c126f.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by TerryCarr(m): 4:55am On Jan 08, 2013
all4naija: Keep thinking you are still in the 18th century. Spare me this your failure to move with the world. learn to embrace change or else the world is going to leave you behind.
Change=cultural imperialism. now i don't care about the gums thing but giving up your cultural, your language just because you think it is savage and primitive is sad.

1 Like

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by abdul4new(m): 5:17am On Jan 08, 2013
craziness of the highest order.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 5:46am On Jan 08, 2013
TSK TSK. HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM SMELLY ITCHY WEAVE-ONS, 8 INCH FAKE NAILS, 6INCH HEAVY LASHES, & OF RECENT PIERCINGS & THE CRAPPY TATTOOS WE C. BECAUSE ITS NOT FROM THE WEST ITS TERMED 'MADNESS'. ID BET THAT IF IT WERE WESTERNERS DOING THIS IT WONT BE QUESTIONED BUT ADOPTED angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Bright2(m): 6:06am On Jan 08, 2013
It hurt,apparently nothing good comes easily!
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by nagoma(m): 6:33am On Jan 08, 2013
abdul23: Smile?hmmm nawa o.does that mean they would not cry?

Even the cry whe dem cry go fine.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 08, 2013
vanity...
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Ignatio(m): 6:59am On Jan 08, 2013
And I thought western people are the only ones into mumuism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mr & Miss Nigeria International 2017 Contestants Make First Appearance (photos) / Nigerian Fitness Trainer Shows Off His Sexy Transformation / Chinonye Joy Olebu Wins Miss Imo State Queen 2018 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.