Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,632 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile (30767 Views)

OMG VIDEO: Nigerians Tattoo Their Lips PINK! / African Women Who Tattoo Their Gums Black For A More Beautiful Smile (VIDEO) / Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
kandiikane:

Uh huh.

"Just because many of them are"

Wooooow!

You know anyone living in Norway? Ask them what 90% of the naija-boys walking around in an area called Brugata is working on, honey. I used to see them every damn day. Still, it does not mean ALL of them do so, unless you see them doing it openly, which many of them are stupid enough to do.

It was an example, put on the edge.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
JallowBah:

But why is it so wrong to do, just because you find it UGLY? I don`t get that. At all.

And there are people, even in the bush in west-africa, walking around almost naked in the bush. If I was up there, I would join them in on that. Much more comfortable.
Women in the western society walk around almost naked to the clubs, so why not.

...how am I harming the society..?
JallowBah, I know you still don't get. Is unclothed in the bush a thing we must embrace to move forward? We keep begging the question when we know the facts are right at the tip of our noses.

Allowing a thing as harmful and disgusting as having tattoo inside the mouth and gums is disturbing. Not only that, it is ridiculous in almost all ramification. When talking about freedom, I am always at the forefront to ask for one because there is nothing that can be traded for freedom in the whole wide world. But, using freedom as an excuse to harm oneself and the society is unacceptable. Indeed, it is very unreasonable of any human to engage in such a thing.

To be a spoiled person who wants to indulge all forms of delinquent deposition is a bad thing also. We must move forward and let the primitive past be history and embrace the future for the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wJjEcVl6PqY#!

If it is something like what is on the video I don't disagree with, when it becomes a part of people on a daily routine that is where I beg to differ.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by TerryCarr(m): 1:42am On Jan 15, 2013
all4naija: You just proved me right with some of the images you posted. I am in no way against tradition but ancient things associated with it which are not right for daily uses should be done on special days.

The last post looks like Māori day celebration or movie rehearsal
what the taboos? i think they are cool
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 4:15am On Jan 15, 2013
TerryCarr: what the taboos? i think they are cool
Did I say it is taboo? Please, reread most of my comment. Maybe your understanding of the word taboo is different from general definition.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 10:49pm On Jan 15, 2013
all4naija: JallowBah, I know you still don't get. Is unclothed in the bush a thing we must embrace to move forward? We keep begging the question when we know the facts are right at the tip of our noses.

Allowing a thing as harmful and disgusting as having tattoo inside the mouth and gums is disturbing. Not only that, it is ridiculous in almost all ramification. When talking about freedom, I am always at the forefront to ask for one because there is nothing that can be traded for freedom in the whole wide world. But, using freedom as an excuse to harm oneself and the society is unacceptable. Indeed, it is very unreasonable of any human to engage in such a thing.

To be a spoiled person who wants to indulge all forms of delinquent deposition is a bad thing also. We must move forward and let the primitive past be history and embrace the future for the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wJjEcVl6PqY#!

If it is something like what is on the video I don't disagree with, when it becomes a part of people on a daily routine that is where I beg to differ.

Still, you don`t want it because in YOUR eyes, it is a bad thing. Freedom for me means I am free to do whatever I wish to do with MY body. It is my skin to tattoo, not yours. It is my pain, not yours. And it is MY beauty, not yours. What you fail to understand, is that your feelings are egoscentric, but you are covering up under "the society". I don`t care if one or 100 people find my tattoos, bodyart, hair or style ugly or nasty, or "a shame to society". It is ME, not you, or them. As long as I can take care of myself, and I know I do it out of free will, why do you still believe it is a harm...? WHERE is the harm?

And; is being naked in the bush something we must get rid of to move forward...?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 15, 2013
JallowBah:

Still, you don`t want it because in YOUR eyes, it is a bad thing. Freedom for me means I am free to do whatever I wish to do with MY body. It is my skin to tattoo, not yours. It is my pain, not yours. And it is MY beauty, not yours. What you fail to understand, is that your feelings are egoscentric, but you are covering up under "the society". I don`t care if one or 100 people find my tattoos, bodyart, hair or style ugly or nasty, or "a shame to society". It is ME, not you, or them. As long as I can take care of myself, and I know I do it out of free will, why do you still believe it is a harm...? WHERE is the harm?

And; is being naked in the bush something we must get rid of to move forward...?
No, I am not egocentric! I am making my views and I am not against what people do to their bodies. If the choice is to have the tattoos inside the mouth and gums there is nothing wrong about that, but we should not keep accepting things based on culture and excuse of freedom alone. The truth is that peer pressure will make some to take to this disgusting practice thereby creating trouble in other family. You are not seeing the effects this will have on the community yet you are very much about the introvert side of the issue - which is not a very good things also.

We are humans and know that there is no way we can keep to the past as progress and advance. Why are you fighting to have people put tattoos inside their mouth and gums?

Seriously, you are taking this issue out of the ordinary. I don't see anything significant in the practice than it being harmful to people lives. There are people who would use that to pass their savage slur across. I hope to see how this will really pan out in any society. Talk is cheap but the reality is far from it most times.

As to the statement on bold. Yes, it is. It is part of moving forward, which is advancement or progress.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 12:36am On Jan 16, 2013
all4naija: No, I am not egocentric! I am making my views and I am not against what people do to their bodies. If the choice is to have the tattoos inside the mouth and gums there is nothing wrong about that, but we should not keep accepting things based on culture and excuse of freedom alone. The truth is that peer pressure will make some to take to this disgusting practice thereby creating trouble in other family. You are not seeing the effects this will have on the community yet you are very much about the introvert side of the issue - which is not a very good things also.

We are humans and know that there is no way we can keep to the past as progress and advance. Why are you fighting to have people put tattoos inside their mouth and gums?

Seriously, you are taking this issue out of the ordinary. I don't see anything significant in the practice than it being harmful to people lives. There are people who would use that to pass their savage slur across. I hope to see how this will really pan out in any society. Talk is cheap but the reality is far from it most times.

As to the statement on bold. Yes, it is. It is part of moving forward, which is advancement or progress.

Again; HOW is it a part of moving forward?

And no, you have been saying all along that it is bad for society, it is disgusting, etc, etc. That is YOUR point of view, and you still don`t manage to explain to me WHY it should be left behind, and WHY people should not do it, other than your preference of beauty.

I am fighting for peoples freedom to do whatever they wish to do with their bodies, and not be judged by it. People judge me all the time because of my tattoos, still; I have always gotten the jobs I want, and people have changed their mind after actually talking to me. Why should I change myself, because some people in the society don`t agree with my view of beauty?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 16, 2013
JallowBah:

Again; HOW is it a part of moving forward?

And no, you have been saying all along that it is bad for society, it is disgusting, etc, etc. That is YOUR point of view, and you still don`t manage to explain to me WHY it should be left behind, and WHY people should not do it, other than your preference of beauty.

I am fighting for peoples freedom to do whatever they wish to do with their bodies, and not be judged by it. People judge me all the time because of my tattoos, still; I have always gotten the jobs I want, and people have changed their mind after actually talking to me. Why should I change myself, because some people in the society don`t agree with my view of beauty?
I can see where you are coming from. You want people to be like you, that is, choose to be free to do anything they want! There is nothing like absolute freedom to do anything you want,PERIOD! Freedom is not what you think it is. Freedom has limit. It is limited by the very fact that you are not the only human being in existence. If you exist alone your wants can be achieved without restrain by anybody. So, you are seeing it from an absolute perspective, which is not the reality of life. Don't tell me you do whatever you want to do all the time. It is never possible because human want is endless.

Why in the whole wide world getting well dressed is not a progress? Your opinions are based on half-truth. Introvert is not what we should embody as people willing to advanced alone.

Again,getting dressed up in clothes is moving forward. It proves we have moved from one stage of the early men life of unclothed to an advanced stage of putting on clothes knowing fully well what might make us look different from beasts in the bush. I dare you go unclothed in your street and see what the outcome would look like. First and foremost people would think you are insane but it could have been what you wanted. Not only that, it will distract attentions and cause disturbances. Please, for responsible life sake let us embrace progress as humans who evolves from savage forms to a more reasonable advancing society. A society we can differentiate harmful ideas from what are not. Reasonably enough to know the impact of horribly disturbing practice as having tattoos in the mouth and gums. We can see it is not only affecting the person practising it but the society as a whole.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 10:42am On Jan 16, 2013
all4naija: I can see where you are coming from. You want people to be like you, that is, choose to be free to do anything they want! There is nothing like absolute freedom to do anything you want,PERIOD! Freedom is not what you think it is. Freedom has limit. It is limited by the very fact that you are not the only human being in existence. If you exist alone your wants can be achieved without restrain by anybody. So, you are seeing it from an absolute perspective, which is not the reality of life. Don't tell me you do whatever you want to do all the time. It is never possible because human want is endless.

Why in the whole wide world getting well dressed is not a progress? Your opinions are based on half-truth. Introvert is not what we should embody as people willing to advanced alone.

Again,getting dressed up in clothes is moving forward. It proves we have moved from one stage of the early men life of unclothed to an advanced stage of putting on clothes knowing fully well what might make us look different from beasts in the bush. I dare you go unclothed in your street and see what the outcome would look like. First and foremost people would think you are insane but it could have been what you wanted. Not only that, it will distract attentions and cause disturbances. Please, for responsible life sake let us embrace progress as humans who evolves from savage forms to a more reasonable advancing society. A society we can differentiate harmful ideas from what are not. Reasonably enough to know the impact of horribly disturbing practice as having tattoos in the mouth and gums. We can see it is not only affecting the person practising it but the society as a whole.

No, cause I have said all the time; as long as you don`t hurt other people. The women in my country who is running around in heels and a top as a dress is not hurting anyone, but I dpn`t think they look good, they look like bullshit in MY eyes. Still, it is their freedom to do so.
The people who stretch different piercings ( ears, lips, tounge and nose ) up to 10cm don`t look good to me either, but it is their freedom to do so.
The people who dress up in clothes to show they belong to a nazi-community ALSO have the freedom to do so, and I hate it.
The people who wear niqabs ALSO have the freedom to do so, even though I believe society is build up on facial interractions.

As long as you are not hurting other people, you should be free to do whatever you wish with your body, hair, clothes, etc.
In my country, you can walk around naked as long as you don`t "act in-decent", which means it is not legal to walk around naked in the streets, but on the beach, your own garden with or without fence, the mountains, etc, etc, you can, if you wish to do so.

I still don`t see how a mouth-tattoo harms the society, and you have still not given a full answer.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 16, 2013
JallowBah:

Since many fulanis, most of them, are muslims, they use arabic words much. Very much, actually.

And yes, the marabouts that my husbands family know, do juju. Why would I sit here and lie about that? I am only talking about the things I know about, not hear-say. And I also know that alkales are not the same as marabout, I did not state they were the same, I said that many of the alkales tend to be marabouts as well, up in the areas my husband grew up in. Maybe I did not write it straight out so you could understand it like that. I can not speak for all of Gambia, or all of West-Africa, I can also speak of what I have come to know.

A woman goes to whomever she wish to go to, and many women will go to extreme lenghts to get help. It is not more than an odd 30years since they dumped kids with down syndrome in the bush to be eaten by hyenas, because they were told the child was demonic. There is bad juju, bad marabouts, and there is good ones as well.

And, back to topic again.
Lool went quickly trough the whole topic and if I quote you correctly, senegambians are very prone to human sacrifices , walk unclad ,and throw sick babies in the bush just after delivering
So tell me lady, do we practice cannibalism too,
SMH
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by TerryCarr(m): 12:14pm On Jan 16, 2013
all4naija: Did I say it is taboo? Please, reread most of my comment. Maybe your understanding of the word taboo is different from general definition.
i meant to say tattoos grin
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 9:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
thiendella:
Lool went quickly trough the whole topic and if I quote you correctly, senegambians are very prone to human sacrifices , walk unclad ,and throw sick babies in the bush just after delivering
So tell me lady, do we practice cannibalism too,
SMH

Talk about talking things out of context..read it again.

And there is not a thing as Senegambians, unless you live on the strip. You are either senegalese, og gambian.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 5:29am On Jan 17, 2013
JallowBah:

And there is not a thing as Senegambians, unless you live on the strip. You are either senegalese, og gambian.
Soooo true cheesy
And I guess from these totally drastically distinctive and different kind of people the senegalese and the gambians are, all these horrors you mentioned are done exclusively by the gambians.
*humm. relieved*
Good to know , I'm on the senegalese side
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 5:33pm On Jan 17, 2013
thiendella:
Soooo true cheesy
And I guess from these totally drastically distinctive and different kind of people the senegalese and the gambians are, all these horrors you mentioned are done exclusively by the gambians.
*humm. relieved*
Good to know , I'm on the senegalese side

Lol. Yeah, I bet they never did anything back in the days in Senegal that would make you shake your head now, huh?wink

And ask any gambian person if they consider themself to be a senegambian.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 17, 2013
[quote author=JallowBah]

Lol. Yeah, I bet they never did anything back in the days in Senegal that would make you shake your head now, huh?wink
Hmm regarding how traditions are strong in there, whatever they used to do, they probably still do , and lemme see..., no nothing to make me shake my head, no cool cool cool

And ask any gambian person if they consider themself to be a senegambian.
All I know and what I'm sure about is Gambians and Senegalese are the same and no senegalese are seen are strangers in Gambia and vice versa , you knew that senegambia actually existed right ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegambia_Confederation
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2013
JallowBah:

Yes, there is a thing called 'senegambian'. I am a Gambian and I also class myself as senGambian because we share the same culture and have the same lifestyles. It's just a thin line that separates us. You should also look at the map, we are technically inside the belly of senegal. I think you should stick to things regarding sweden because some of the things you come up with are quite ignorant, just because you married a Gambian.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

Yes, there is a thing called 'senegambian'. I am a Gambian and I also class myself as senGambian because we share the same culture and have the same lifestyles. It's just a thin line that separates us. You should also look at the map, we are technically inside the belly of senegal. I think you should stick to things regarding sweden because some of the things you come up with are quite ignorant, just because you married a Gambian.
I'm sooo Gbamming this kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 8:47pm On Jan 17, 2013
[quote author=thiendella][/quote]

Yeah, I know.

And I am not saying they are recognized as strangers, but they are still GAMBIANS, not Senegambians.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 8:50pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

Well, then you are the first one I have heard say that, and I have talked to many about this onewink

You should be more proud of your borders, though. Theres only a thin line dividing all countries, hon, that is not something new. Still, I don`t count myself as Svorsk ( whick is what they call people who speak a effed up dialect mixed between norwegian and swedish ), even though Norway was under Sweden before.
See what I mean here?

And, don`t try to patronize me. Maybe you should find out what country I actually AM from before starting to tell me to focus on Sweden. I probably know more about Gambia than Sweden.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 17, 2013
JallowBah:

Yeah, I know.

And I am not saying they are recognized as strangers, but they are still GAMBIANS, not Senegambians.

Lol. You are good at maneuverability of information. I admire your stances though.

However, how are you doing?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 8:57pm On Jan 17, 2013
all4naija: Lol. You are good at maneuverability of information. I admire your stances though.

However, how are you doing?

How am I maneuvering anything here..?

I am good. Sad, but goodsmiley And you?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 9:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
JallowBah:

Well, then you are the first one I have heard say that, and I have talked to many about this onewink

You should be more proud of your borders, though. Theres only a thin line dividing all countries, hon, that is not something new. Still, I don`t count myself as Svorsk ( whick is what they call people who speak a effed up dialect mixed between norwegian and swedish ), even though Norway was under Sweden before.
See what I mean here?

And, don`t try to patronize me. Maybe you should find out what country I actually AM from before starting to tell me to focus on Sweden. I probably know more about Gambia than Sweden.

Well this whole quote is a lie, because even in sweden(isn't that where you're from) they have cultural events with titles such as Senegambian. I think you've been a few born and bred swedish Gambians who are feeding ýou incorrect information. Don't tell me what I need to be proud of. I am proud of the cultures we share that is why we acknowledge eachother.

No, you do not know anything about Gambia with all the rubbish you spewed here. As I have written before don't try to belong and talk shyt as you feel you have the right just because you're married to a Gambian. You have no knowledge of the culture you've been married in. When I told you, your husband might have a wife back home, you thought I was lying. Well, who would want to believe that, still doesn't mean it's false. It has nothing to do with you but many Gambian men would also marry another wife who share the same cultural values as them. It's quite big on polygamy. LOL!
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 9:09pm On Jan 17, 2013
Pardon me, I meant norway. wink
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 9:30pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

Well this whole quote is a lie, because even in sweden(isn't that where you're from) they have cultural events with titles such as Senegambian. I think you've been a few born and bred swedish Gambians who are feeding ýou incorrect information. Don't tell me what I need to be proud of. I am proud of the cultures we share that is why we acknowledge eachother.

No, you do not know anything about Gambia with all the rubbish you spewed here. As I have written before don't try to belong and talk shyt as you feel you have the right just because you're married to a Gambian. You have no knowledge of the culture you've been married in. When I told you, your husband might have a wife back home, you thought I was lying. Well, who would want to believe that, still doesn't mean it's false. It has nothing to do with you but many Gambian men would also marry another wife who share the same cultural values as them. It's quite big on polygamy. LOL!

Lol. In Norway, they have Gambian events, and Senegalese events. I have been to both.
Gambians and senegales in Norway come together good, they don`t talk bad about each other at all, and yes, they all say the culture is much the same, but at the same time..it does not take more than to look at prices for clothes, shoes, rice, fare, nuts, pure shea butter to see that there is f.ex a big economical difference.

And no, the gambians and senegalese I know, are all immigrants, except for ONE who lived in Sweden from he was 14, and is now in Norway, close to 32 years old.

How is it incorrect information for them to say they don`t consider themself Senegambians? How is it MORE correct for you to be proud of being a Senegambian, than for them to be more proud of calling themself only ONE?

And no, I did not thought you were lying, I knew you were lying. Big differencesmiley I know many people marry more than one, and many people DON`T. Individuals and all, remember..?
And my "culture" has more things in common with the gambian culture than you think. If you wish to know more about that, either make an own thread dedicated to trying to GBAM me, or send me an e-mail, hon. I would be happy to take that discussion with yousmiley

And what rubbish have I spewed here..? Nah, nothing. I know much about gambian culture, and I still have more to learn. And I love it. Not all, but so far, most of it.

And yeah, I am SURE you meant Norway.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2013
JallowBah:

Lol. In Norway, they have Gambian events, and Senegalese events. I have been to both.
Gambians and senegales in Norway come together good, they don`t talk bad about each other at all, and yes, they all say the culture is much the same, but at the same time..it does not take more than to look at prices for clothes, shoes, rice, fare, nuts, pure shea butter to see that there is f.ex a big economical difference.

And no, the gambians and senegalese I know, are all immigrants, except for ONE who lived in Sweden from he was 14, and is now in Norway, close to 32 years old.

How is it incorrect information for them to say they don`t consider themself Senegambians? How is it MORE correct for you to be proud of being a Senegambian, than for them to be more proud of calling themself only ONE?

And no, I did not thought you were lying, I knew you were lying. Big differencesmiley I know many people marry more than one, and many people DON`T. Individuals and all, remember..?
And my "culture" has more things in common with the gambian culture than you think. If you wish to know more about that, either make an own thread dedicated to trying to GBAM me, or send me an e-mail, hon. I would be happy to take that discussion with yousmiley

And what rubbish have I spewed here..? Nah, nothing. I know much about gambian culture, and I still have more to learn. And I love it. Not all, but so far, most of it.

And yeah, I am SURE you meant Norway.

You are going off the mark hun. You do not read neither do you try to comprehend ones post. I did not say it's more correct to proud of calling yourself seneGambian than being a Gambian, you are trying to act like you know it all but you don't. wink

My point to you was, although we are separate countries, we are one and the same whether there is a huge economical difference or not. It's not the price of groundnuts that makes two people the same. You said you never met a Gambian who refer to themselves as senegambian, I told you that's because you know born and bred Gambians, either that or you have not asked them about the phrase.
When you ask a Gambian abroad where they are from, they will say Gambian, duh! They will refer to themselves as senegambians when they are trying to explain cultures and values. Majority of people never heard of Gambia but senegal, therefore, to get a clear view of gambia they give senegal's cultures practices as an example which very similar in every aspect.

Didn't you say your husband was travelling to gambia to stay for a while? Is he still there? He's got a wife there to warm his bed. He's even fulani so imagine. LOL!

Don't be naïve, love. Ofcourse, we are individuals but it doesn't stop you practicing what your people practice.

Your culture and Gambian culture is similar? Oh, you mean they throw down syndrome kids in the forest for wolves to feed on just like you said gambians also use to throw down syndrome kids in the forest for hyena's to feed on? Lol, taaa! Please.

Hun, you don't know much about Gambian culture for I would have actually agreed with you if you were right. If thiendella would have agreed with you but there huge flaws in certain things which I've quoted you on. It's great that you want to learn about my culture but it's best if you get correct facts and not just hearing the word marabout and assume they practice using body parts for money too.
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 10:07pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane:

You are going off the mark hun. You do not read neither do you try to comprehend ones post. I did not say it's more correct to be brought of being seneGambian than being a Gambian, you are trying to act like you know it all but you don't. wink

My point to you was, we are separate countries, we are one and the same whether there is a huge economical difference or not. It's not the price of groundnuts that makes two people the same. You said you never met a Gambian who refer to themselves as senegambian, I told you that's because you know born and bred Gambians, either that or you have not asked them about the phrase.
When you ask a Gambian where they are from, they will say Gambian, duh! They will refer to themselves as senegambians when they are trying to explain cultures and values. Majority of people never heard of Gambia but senegal, therefore, to get a clear view of gambia they give senegal's cultures practices as an example which very similar in every aspect.

Didn't you say your husband was travelling to gambia to stay for a while? Is he still there? LOL!

Don't be naïve, love. Ofcourse, we are individuals but it doesn't stop you practicing what your people practice.

Your culture and Gambian culture is similar? Oh, you mean they throw down syndrome kids in the forest for wolves to feed on just like you said gambians also use to throw down syndrome kids in the forest for hyena's to feed on? Lol, taaa! Please.

Hun, you don't know much about Gambian culture for I would have actually agreed with you if you were right. If thiendella would have agreed with you but there huge flaws in certain things which I've quoted you on. It's great that you want to learn about my culture but it's best if you get correct facts and not just hearing the word marabout and assume they practice using body parts for money too.

You are taking many, many things out of context here, lie the last piece about throwing babies. You think this is something that has only happen in Gambia and Norway? Don`t be naive, and don`t try to act like you are naive either. It is an ugly history, which the whole world share.
Like I said; if you wish to discuss the gambian vs norwegian culture, feel free to mail me.

And yeah, I have asked if they consider themself senegambians or gambians, I have had that discussion with many of them, simply because the GAMBIANS I know, get irritated when white people call them Senegambians.
"Oh, you are Senegambian."
"No, I am gambian. I am from Gambia. "
Never have I heard a single gambian talk about their culture or ways, and referring to it as Senegambian ways, food, culture, dance, music, weddings, etc, etc. I don`t know where YOU live, but specially Sweden and UK have a long history of travelling to Gambia, hence they know the difference.

Kinda like that. Norway, Sweden and Denmark have much in common as well, still; I am norwegian.

And, where is the "lol"-part in my husband going back to his own country..? You think he went to see some second wife? You are sinking low now, trying to insult my marriage, with nothing to base it on, other than "many muslims practice polygamy". Yeah, and many does not. Why do you feel the need to put my husband in the first box, instead of the second? Why do you feel a need to undermine me, and place yourself above me, are you THAT insecure..?
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 17, 2013
JallowBah:

You are taking many, many things out of context here, lie the last piece about throwing babies. You think this is something that has only happen in Gambia and Norway? Don`t be naive, and don`t try to act like you are naive either. It is an ugly history, which the whole world share.
Like I said; if you wish to discuss the gambian vs norwegian culture, feel free to mail me.

And yeah, I have asked if they consider themself senegambians or gambians, I have had that discussion with many of them, simply because the GAMBIANS I know, get irritated when white people call them Senegambians.
"Oh, you are Senegambian."
"No, I am gambian. I am from Gambia. "
Never have I heard a single gambian talk about their culture or ways, and referring to it as Senegambian ways, food, culture, dance, music, weddings, etc, etc. I don`t know where YOU live, but specially Sweden and UK have a long history of travelling to Gambia, hence they know the difference.

Kinda like that. Norway, Sweden and Denmark have much in common as well, still; I am norwegian.

And, where is the "lol"-part in my husband going back to his own country..? You think he went to see some second wife? You are sinking low now, trying to insult my marriage, with nothing to base it on, other than "many muslims practice polygamy". Yeah, and many does not. Why do you feel the need to put my husband in the first box, instead of the second? Why do you feel a need to undermine me, and place yourself above me, are you THAT insecure..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhQxMUey-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mauiR40z8Q

These are two gambian videos uploaded by gambians and yet they titled it senegambian. A part of my family lives in gambia and google is your friend you know, you just have to google ''senegambian'' to see how many gambians see themselves are senegambians. And diplomatic relations between the two people are at their coldest now but there is no animosity between the 2 people , because they are conscious that they are the same.
Denying senegambia as a geographic and cultural entity is like denying the sweetness of sugar. In wolof we use to say '' duggal fo hadj'' wich mean only enter in where you fit . And I find it pretty audacious for a stranger to face a senegalese and a gambian and trying to explain them how different they are
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 10:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
LOL! Insecure? Please! Wait, are you now trying to slowing involve the race card or what? Tell me what am I insecure about, the fact that you're white, the fact that you are from norway or is it the fact that you married a Gambian? Or insecure that a gambian married a white woman? Lol! Oh, hunny! You have so much to learn.

Laughing at the fact that you claim, your culture to be similar to mine which is absolutely false is not what you call being naive. You need to google the meaning of naïve then look in the mirror.

I am telling you what you do not know. You think you know all about the Gambian culture but you do not. You've only been there on holiday. You say you want to learn but you do not want to open your ears.

I have not taken anything out of context but showing you the amount of rubbish you've spewed here.

You continue to claim vast knowledge of my culture but yet feeling hurt because I mentioned that your husband may have a wife home. No, hun if you know so much about my culture then you should know this. You want to accept that marabouts use humans for rituals yet you don't want to accept your husband may have a second fulani wife because he's close to your heart. Double standards, my friend!

No, you haven't asked any Gambian about the term because you clearly stated you've never heard it, you mentioned probably on the strip- is it because of the senegambian hotel?lol so, you are lying. Even outsiders who have never been there before still term the region and people as SeneGambians talkless of those living there. We are proud of who we are and we try our best to come together as one in every aspect.

Guess what I hate? When outsiders like you marry in the culture and think they now know every single thing about it. Even those born and bred there are still learning talkless of you who has never lived there. It's true that an outsider who studies cultures can know more that someone who was born there but you know absolutely nothing. And no, hun. I am not putting myself above you, I am only trying to correct you. wink

P.S. I have no reason to learn about norway. Not interested. If you want to open a thread about the similarities of killing children in both cultures, go right on ahead. It will just show how ignorant you are because that is not the right way to try to feel connected to an African culture.

1 Like

Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 10:51pm On Jan 17, 2013
Damn, there is this video of a singer and a little boy singing about how senegal and gambia are one and the same. I will find it and post it. Lovely song.

We may have our issues but we always come as one in the end. cool
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 17, 2013
kandiikane: Damn, there is this video of a singer and a little boy singing about how senegal and gambia are one and the same. I will find it and post it. Lovely song.

We may have our issues but we always come as one in the end. cool
Senegambian sis' kiss kiss
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by kandiikane(m): 11:14pm On Jan 17, 2013
thiendella:
Senegambian sis' kiss kiss

Forever mehn! kiss
Re: Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile by JallowBah(f): 12:21am On Jan 18, 2013
thiendella:
These are two gambian videos uploaded by gambians and yet they titled it senegambian. A part of my family lives in gambia and google is your friend you know, you just have to google ''senegambian'' to see how many gambians see themselves are senegambians. And diplomatic relations between the two people are at their coldest now but there is no animosity between the 2 people , because they are conscious that they are the same.
Denying senegambia as a geographic and cultural entity is like denying the sweetness of sugar. In wolof we use to say '' duggal fo hadj'' wich mean only enter in where you fit . And I find it pretty audacious for a stranger to face a senegalese and a gambian and trying to explain them how different they are

I never talked about UK, did I? Youtube Gambian cultural week, and Senegal culture week.
I never sad ANYHWERE that all gambians claim what the gambians I know claim. You don`t see that difference?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mr & Miss Nigeria International 2017 Contestants Make First Appearance (photos) / Nigerian Fitness Trainer Shows Off His Sexy Transformation / Chinonye Joy Olebu Wins Miss Imo State Queen 2018 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.