Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award (48015 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / PICTURES: PROUD WINNER ... Lionel Messi Shows Off The Ballon D'or Award / Messi Wins Ballon D'or (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Arsenate(m): 12:19pm On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley:

my broda no be small..sneidjer is heading to QPR and will definitely be relegate wit dem...Fifa kill dat guy
lol, joke of the century. So fifa are responsible for Sneider's dip in form?
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by nattyjay(m): 12:20pm On Jan 07, 2013
i really think RONALDO deserves it more than the two barcelonians.....and note dat not only messi break records..ronaldo too does.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Arsenate(m): 12:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
nattyjay: i really think RONALDO deserves it more than the two barcelonians.....and note dat not only messi break records..ronaldo too does.
ok help us list the records Ronaldo broke. We are patiently waiting, lol.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by stuhporh: 12:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
I will not take the fact that messi has been invincible for some time now, but choosing the world best for 2012 should go to Either Iniesta or RONALDO.
Calm down bruv, just ask why, reasons are, This award is determined by the players contribution to his team and personal achievments. Ronaldo won the league where Messi did not. Played for his country and almost single handedly took his national team 2 finals stage. On the other hand was INIESTA who won the europa cup with spain. these leaves Messi out outrighly, However, i expect FIFA to award Messi the Honour because he has a better personality which coaches and captains will like so well. (emotions)
Here is the twist, When CR7 was Messis current age and before, he has been playing greatly, upsetting team defences as messi is currently doing, Messi Happened to be in the spotlight with ranks of players built around a certain clubs philosophy. which i strongly believe will not be same if he moves from Barca. Contrary to Ronaldo moving fromn one club to the other and writing his name in their history books,
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by waja(m): 12:26pm On Jan 07, 2013
Iniesta is good, Messi is better but CR7 is the best. Cr7 is a winger that decides a match with his scoring feat. He adapts immediately in any club He finds himself But he is too fast to anger unlike the other duo.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by raffite: 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2013
"I mean look at it this way, 91 goals with no major trophy is proof that most goals were irrelevant/insignificant.

I mean just look at yesterday's performance, the whole match Messi was average at best, scores the 4th goal ( which is "irrelevant/insignificant" because they were already ahead with 3 goals ) from a penalty kick, on the other hand, you see Ronaldo dominating the field the whole match ( specially second half ) and scores the winning goals for his team with spectacular fashion. " - Tom Thanks
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by demitola(m): 12:28pm On Jan 07, 2013
hey, its nt d world best player of a football season, its for a calendar year. Jst as wot Deco sed 'Ronaldo performd beta in d 1st half of d yr, Messi outshined in d 2nd half' and its got notin mch 2do wid d numba of trophiz collected, if so Torres or Aguero kld av bin d nominees. Messi's recordin-breakin feat givs him d farthest edge!
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Oahray: 12:30pm On Jan 07, 2013
Is it even debatable? The FIFA Ballon d'or award is for best individual performance.

Messi had the best individual performance last season. He was exceptional when many of his team mates (pedro, sanchez, villa with injury, tello, cuenca etc) were out of form and squandered so many chances.
Was always involved in Barca's build-up to goals. Scored like crazy, yet assisted superbly.

Here's the stat, Messi was directly involved in 102 goals (scored 73 and assisted 29) about 54% of Barca's total (190) goals in all competitions.
Barca won only 3 of the 12 laliga games in which Messi failed to find the net.

Ronaldo scored a total 60 goals with 15 assists. That means he was directly involved in 75 goals, about 43% of Madrid's total (174) goals.

Contribution to total amount of
team goals
Messi - 54% of Barcelona goals
Van Persie - 49% of Arsenal goals
Huntelaar - 48.7% of Schalke goals
Ibrahimovic - 45% of Milan goals
C. Ronaldo - 43% of R. Madrid goals
Gomez - 40% of Bayern goals

Yet they say Ronaldo should win for 'singlehandedly' winning laliga for Madrid. Smh. If its about the trophies, then Casillas, Iniesta, Aguero, Pirlo and Didier Drogba all deserve the award.

The stats never lie.
Messi all the way!

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Kx: 12:31pm On Jan 07, 2013
Andykuul: cr7 is painfully too arogant,

What is arrogance and how is CR7 arrogant?

I watched Madrid vs Sociedad yesterday and was humbled to see CR7 remove the captains hand band for Iker Casillas but Casilla's asked him to keep it.

It does seem like lots of peeps just hates the brand CR7 for no just cause.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by ChuckD1(m): 12:32pm On Jan 07, 2013
MESSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Arsenate(m): 12:32pm On Jan 07, 2013
waja: Iniesta is good, Messi is better but CR7 is the best. Cr7 is a winger that decides a match with his scoring feat. He adapts immediately in any club He finds himself But he is too fast to anger unlike the other duo.
lol, cr7 does not seem to play as a winger these days. He hardly crosses and he gets very few assists that is expected of a winger. Messi has consistently out-score and out-assist ronaldo over the yrs. U guys should come up with facts.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Bobbystanley(m): 12:32pm On Jan 07, 2013
Arsenate: lol, joke of the century. So fifa are responsible for Sneider's dip in form?

Yes my dear broda...u dnt know what it means to be denied of ur right...Even Diego milito's great perfomance in 2010 and wining a treble wit inter,scoring both goals in the CL final against bayern,scoring twice in the copa ittalia final and was among the top scorers in italian league dat year couldn't earn him a place in the 32 players shortlisted for the Ballon D'or dat year..

Isn't dat ridiculous? And hav u heard of milito since then??
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vanstanzy(m): 12:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley:

my broda no be small..sneidjer is heading to QPR and will definitely be relegate wit dem...Fifa kill dat guy

Whatever happens, just blame the fish, Right? wink wink wink
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Arsenate(m): 12:35pm On Jan 07, 2013
Oahray: Is it even debatable? Messi had the best individual performance last season. He was exceptional when many of his team mates (pedro, sanchez, villa with injury, tello, cuenca etc) were out of form and squandered so many chances.
Was always involved in Barca's build-up to goals. Scored like crazy, yet assisted superbly.

Here's the stat, Messi was directly involved in 102 goals (scored 73 and assisted 29) about 53% of Barca's total (190) goals in all competitions.

Ronaldo scored a total 60 goals with 15 assists. That means he was directly involved in 75 goals, about 43% of Madrid's total (174) goals.

team goals

Yet they say Ronaldo singlehandedly won the league for Madrid. Smh.

The stats never lie.
Messi all the way!
now this is how a typical football fan argues (most messi fans are like this, lol)...with facts and figures. Not our Ronaldo fans that are all emotional without facts.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by sylve11: 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2013
I feel sorry for cr7, but think iniesta will win this. cool
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by UyiIredia(m): 12:39pm On Jan 07, 2013
I say Messi is getting it !
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by abdul23(m): 12:42pm On Jan 07, 2013
As much as i hate to admit it.messi desrves the award.he is just superb.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vicenzo(m): 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley:

if it should be based on individual perfomance...why did fabio cannavaro won it in 2006 ahead of Zinedine Zidane and Gaucho Ronaldinho?
Dats because he led italy to claim the world cup dat year..its given based on contribution to teams success..

Its just that Fifa is now a political party like PDP
Tell them bro.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by raffite: 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2013
Oahray:
team goals

The stats never lie.

Can this be said of Fabio Cannavaro in 2006?

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Arsenate(m): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley:

Yes my dear broda...u dnt know what it means to be denied of ur right...Even Diego milito's great perfomance in 2010 and wining a treble wit inter,scoring both goals in the CL final against bayern,scoring twice in the copa ittalia final and was among the top scorers in italian league dat year couldn't earn him a place in the 32 players shortlisted for the Ballon D'or dat year..

Isn't dat ridiculous? And hav u heard of milito since then??
very funny. Messi was ballon d'or runner up for 2 years. He never got discouraged. He worked hard and the rest is history: 3 ballon d'or winner.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by lafuria1(m): 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2013
wonder y the argument is always changed to suite messi, since the day FIFA didnt include sneider in thefinal 3 in 2010, there u know its about personal intrest. we talk of messi individual stat now but we were quick to dismiss cr7 individual stat in 2011 where he won europe highest goal scorer and copa del rey since messi won the champions league.

if Cr7 had scored 91 goals with copa del rey and messi wins laliga, the argumement will be cr7 is selfish, miss penalty against chelsea, couldnt score against barca, a big game flop.. in 2012, messi was a big game flop, doing badly wen his team needed him usual or na lie?

if sneider and diego who contributed and won treble for inte rmilan couldnt make the final three, is it Cr7 that won just laliga that will win ballondor. messi will get the ballon dor 2012 simple. dont be suprise if this 2012 argument is, messi had more complete passes than CR7. no stat dat we wont hear anymore include wic player smile more. oh messi smiles more than CR7, give him world best grin

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by karpentar: 12:52pm On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley:

if it should be based on individual perfomance...why did fabio cannavaro won it in 2006 ahead of Zinedine Zidane and Gaucho Ronaldinho?
Dats because he led italy to claim the world cup dat year..its given based on contribution to teams success..

Its just that Fifa is now a political party like PDP

Exposing ignorance in a public forum is as low as it gets. My dear Bobbystanley, FIFA has nothing to do with this award. The best player is selected by coaches and captains of National teams. Think before you write!, it's easy.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by AjanleKoko: 12:54pm On Jan 07, 2013
It's a tough one, but Messi seems to have hogged the headlines more, despite CR& winning his league with his team. The Gerd Muller record, European golden shoe, and he seems to have scored a lot of goals for Argentina as well. So he looks likely to win.

I'd have preferred Iniesta, or even Iker. It would be splendid to see a Spaniard win it, with all they have achieved in the last four years. Who knows, an upset might yet happen.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by MrTAnonymous(m): 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2013
Ahmeduana:
if messi is good the way people are praising him, he should move from la liga to other major leagues and see if he can perform the way cristy has performed and still performing.
yeah,I support dat motion.Let Messi cum n play in Barclays English premier League and lets see how he would perform.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by mbourie(m): 1:00pm On Jan 07, 2013
Yesterday during Barcelona vs Espanyol; there was a backheel skill Andre Iniesta displayed and you know what the commentator said, "In d next generation iniesta wud be the next world best player." Meaning Messi the Merlin cum Youngwarlock has brought jinx most especially to the peacock of halamadrid; so I go 4 Messi. 1)Andres Messi 2)Andre Iniesta 3)Peacock Ronaldo; the Picture has said it all. Visca de Blaugrana; Viva Catalunya!!!
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vicenzo(m): 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2013
raffite:

You have time for messi boys, ronaldinho had a wonderful year with barca in 2006, set champions league and la liga ablaze with magical skills,winning the champions league and la liga that season,yet cannavaro that struggled with juve all season and zidane that had a not so wonderful season finished first and second ahead of him on the race for ballon d'or that season. Contrast this to messi's 2010 season and see why no body should take fifa and their balon 'dor serious.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by biolabee(m): 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
Say no more
Messi91

THEBOYISGOOD

what you shd be focussing on is 2013

GOLS: Ronaldo 2 messi 2
Messi already has la liga except the unthinkable happens (16 pont gap) Athltico will soon fizz off
so only two more trophies (Copa D Rey and UCL)
and if Barca wins UCL again (World Club Cup, Super Copa etc)

Well e go tey for ronnie o
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by lafuria1(m): 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
karpentar:

Exposing ignorance in a public forum is as low as it gets. My dear Bobbystanley, FIFA has nothing to do with this award. The best player is selected by coaches and captains of National teams. Think before you write!, it's easy.
and the election open for the world to see?, voted counted, player announced, simple.
1994, world cup year, romario won it,
1998, world cup year, zindane won it
2002, world cup year, ronaldo de lima won it
2006, world cup year, cannovaro won it
2010, world cup year, hmm, messi (failed at world cup)won it.

why did the rule change or people got bored and chose other wise.

lets say since messi came on board, it is more of a personal intrest now. cr7 is villian and messi is the hero grin

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Oahray: 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2013
raffite:

In my opinion, Zidane should have won it that year, cos he was by far the best player in the world cup in a season without any exceptional player in club football.

I think Cannavaro had this world cup medal to thank.

If this is your argument, it doesnt help the Ronaldo cause.

Ronaldo won only the La liga, which is not more important than the EPL which players Aguero and Yaya Toure helped win, or Serie A in which a Pirlo-inspired Juventus went unbeaten for the whole season to win it.

Didier Drogba was Chelsea's best player and they won European clubs' biggest prize that season.

Now lets go international football. Messi didnt play in the Euros. Ronaldo put in lack-lustre performances in his first two games in the Euros. He shone in the next two.
However it would be a sacrilege to even mention Ronaldo's Euro performance in the same sentence with that of Pirlo or Iniesta (who happens to be a contender). I apologize for just doing so.

In the Euros, Ronaldo was only as good as Balotelli.

In any individual part of last season, or the whole, Ronaldo didnt come out tops in the world.

The facts (including the one you quoted) supports this.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by cleric(m): 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2013
tchidi: I wonder why they bother having a ceremony...
Just call Messi, go to his house and drop it off undecided undecided
Abi?
Oahray: Is it even debatable? The FIFA Ballon d'or award is for best individual performance.

Messi had the best individual performance last season. He was exceptional when many of his team mates (pedro, sanchez, villa with injury, tello, cuenca etc) were out of form and squandered so many chances.

Here's the stat, Messi was directly involved in 102 goals (scored 73 and assisted 29) about 54% of Barca's total (190) goals in all competitions.

team goals

Yet they say Ronaldo should win for 'singlehandedly' winning laliga for Madrid. Smh. If its about the trophies, then Casillas, Iniesta, Aguero, Pirlo and Didier Drogba all deserve the award.

The stats never lie.
Messi all the way!
I really like dis.
If not for anything, he deserves it for his humility which is exemplary even to most of us who call ourselves Christians. I choose messi all the way! And iniesta is chosen as my second best.
I like dis.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vicenzo(m): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2013
karpentar:

So,can we now agree that the award is but popularity contest,tainted by sentiments of the voters.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by karpentar: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
vicenzo: So,can we now agree that the award is but popularity contest,tainted by sentiments of the voters.

They choose who they consider to be the best player. There's no way a choice made by such people can be wrong. It's people here on this forum that are choosing candidates on sentiments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

PSG Vs Manchester City UCL (2 - 0) On 28th September 2021 / Chelsea vs Liverpool - ( 0 - 2) On 20th September 2020 / Manchester United VS Derby County: Carabao Cup (7 - 8 On Pens : 25-09-2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.