Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,369 members, 7,954,495 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:26 PM

Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award (49755 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / PICTURES: PROUD WINNER ... Lionel Messi Shows Off The Ballon D'or Award / Messi Wins Ballon D'or (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Medley(m): 7:30am On Jan 07, 2013
[img]http://1.bp..com/-3Bbys5exg_8/UCp-djuCGaI/AAAAAAAAkvc/dgekzZWVSSc/s1600/....IMG_0581.jpg[/img]

Lionel Messi can break another footballing record on Monday
by being named the world's best
player for an unprecedented fourth time. The Barcelona and Argentina forward,who scored 91 goals in 2012, is favorite to win the FIFA Ballon d'Or prize ahead of club team mate Andres Iniesta and his great rival Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid, who complete the three-man shortlist in Zurich.
A fourth straight title would lift Messi above FIFA World Player of the Year three-time winners Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo of Brazil. Since the original Ballon d'Or was launched in 1956 as a European award, Michel Platini, Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten also earned a hat-trick of titles.

Victory for Messi would fuel renewed debate over how his genius compares with Pele and Diego Maradona, whose careers were over or peaked before FIFA started its award in 1991. The South American greats were never eligible for the old Ballon d'Or run by France Football magazine. The awards merged in 2010. ''(Michael) Jordan dominated his sport and Messi dominates this one,'' formerBarcelona coach Pep Guardiola said last year, in comparing his protege to
the basketball icon. Iniesta starred at the European Championship last summer as Spain's relentless passing game won a third
straight major tournament title. Ronaldo, the 2008 FIFA award winner and twice runner-up to Messi, impressed with prolific scoring to help Madrid take away Barcelona's Spanish league title, then carried Portugal to the Euro 2012 semifinals.

whats Ur take,can there be a surprise winner since there is a tendency that voters may be sentimental thus will want to reward Spain for their indefatigable dominance over the years,or to some cristiano cos of cup success which messi never had.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by eriegua83: 7:40am On Jan 07, 2013
Leonel MESSI the play station
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by hrmkz: 7:43am On Jan 07, 2013
Messi d favourite.
Ronaldo too selfish a player.
Would love Iniesta to win just for his contribution to the game.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Medley(m): 7:45am On Jan 07, 2013
eriegua83: Leonel MESSI the play station

You can say that once again. Thats why when compared with maradona that was found later in his career to have used a banned substance, i would say,if messi takes a sip he would be flying on air and scoring goals like 5 goals at least every match
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Medley(m): 7:48am On Jan 07, 2013
hrmkz: Messi d favourite.
Ronaldo too selfish a player.
Would love Iniesta to win just for his contribution to the game.

truly,i wuld have loved a spanish player to win it this time in football that they have been dominant,it will be a mark of their brilliance,winning 2008,2012 european cup and 2010 world cup
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Napolitano(m): 8:22am On Jan 07, 2013
Ronaldo deserves it.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Medley(m): 8:26am On Jan 07, 2013
Napolitano: Ronaldo deserves it.

Yes! Ronaldo is sad and messi knows why.

What about iniesta, 2008,2012 european cup,and 2010 world cup.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by profeoo(m): 9:37am On Jan 07, 2013
C-boy noni. Although f/ball politics may give it to Iniesta. Messi sure deserves it equally as C-boy. Bt Cr7 al d way.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Medley(m): 10:34am On Jan 07, 2013
confound? Who have you selected
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Medley(m): 10:43am On Jan 07, 2013
prof e.o.o:
C-boy noni. Although f/ball politics may give it to Iniesta. Messi sure deserves it equally as C-boy. Bt Cr7 al d way.

confound? Who have you
selected
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by mukina2: 10:49am On Jan 07, 2013
girly ronaldo must win this one o angry
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by victorD3: 10:53am On Jan 07, 2013
Messiless Messi all the way!

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by collinsfbi(m): 10:56am On Jan 07, 2013
mukina2: girly ronaldo must win this one o angry
for where, Messi deserves it on merit but i would love iniesta to win it this time.

Gbamm over nout
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by COvo(m): 10:56am On Jan 07, 2013
It's lionel messi,no question about it. But have u ever noticed that when the nominees are been mentioned,the person's picture in the middle always wins?

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by kunle86(m): 10:57am On Jan 07, 2013
CR7 Ronaldo 4 life but messi deserve it.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Okijajuju1(m): 11:00am On Jan 07, 2013

21 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 07, 2013
I wonder why they bother having a ceremony...
Just call Messi, go to his house and drop it off undecided undecided

14 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Bobbystanley(m): 11:03am On Jan 07, 2013
Its either Ronaldo or iniesta.

Messi scored 91 goals last year but can only boast of the Copa del rey.

Cristiano Ronaldo led madrid to their 32nd La liga title last year and also led portugal to the semi finals of the Euro2012 wia they lost to eventual winners spain.He also won the spanish super cup and scored in both leg against lionel messi's barcelona

Iniesta won the copa del rey and also claimed the Euro trophy and was the MVP @ euro2012.
Summary;Lionel messi's goals couldn't deliver him a recognised silverware just like the six useless goals chelsea scored against Nordsjaelland in the final group game of the champions league.

6 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by PedroJP(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2013
Iniesta jooor. Dat guy de play. Wetin dat guy de do with defenders easily messi and cr7 no de do am.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by COvo(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2013
tchidi: I wonder why they bother having a ceremony...
Just call Messi, go to his house and drop it off undecided undecided
Hahahahahaha....Guy you are good.Me sef I wonder.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by COvo(m): 11:06am On Jan 07, 2013
Pedro JP: Iniesta jooor. Dat guy de play. Wetin dat guy de do with defenders easily messi and cr7 no de do am.
You are high...even if iniesta deserves it nor say he nor fit do wetin iniesta d̶̲̥̅̊є̲̣̥y̶̲̥̅̊ do,he does better.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by blessedmayor(m): 11:08am On Jan 07, 2013
to me,INIESTA bt messi remains the favourite.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vanstanzy(m): 11:09am On Jan 07, 2013
U arranged their names in order, sef. Its Merciless Messi all the way! grin grin grin
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:10am On Jan 07, 2013
Based on individual talent, Messi deserve it. But I see Iniesta winning the award cos he helped Spain win the European Championship in 2012 & also won the same trophies with Messi @ Club level.
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by willyo(m): 11:12am On Jan 07, 2013
i would love C. Ronaldo win it. though, i'm jst being sentimental
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vanstanzy(m): 11:13am On Jan 07, 2013
Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's the favorite of them all? And the mirror goes... ITS MESSI!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by mukina2: 11:13am On Jan 07, 2013
collinsfbi: for where, Messi deserves it on merit but i would love iniesta to win it this time.

Gbamm over nout
nope! Ronaldo deserves it abeg, but i suspect that they will give it to iniesta . . if sepp blatter try and give it to messi ehn! angry
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 07, 2013
Messi or Iniesta....Ronaldo is out f contension

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by BroRhema(m): 11:16am On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley: Its either Ronaldo or iniesta.

Cristiano Ronaldo led madrid to their 32nd La liga title last year and also led portugal to the semi finals of the Euro2012 wia they lost to eventual winners spain.He also won the spanish super cup and scored in both leg against lionel messi's barcelona

Iniesta won the copa del rey and also claimed the Euro trophy and was the MVP @ euro2012.
Summary;Lionel messi's goals couldn't deliver him a recognised silverware just like the six useless goals chelsea scored against Nordsjaelland in the final group game of the champions league.
if u knw wat it means to break Records that are as old as 40yr u'd beg dey giv d acolade to Leo.. Dude come on! What makes a player or sport man Great, is How much u affect the game and nt just collecting trophies. What we hav seen messi do, is jxt so jawdropping__i mean breaking Old records and setting new records, is an astonishing feat that wil stand 4 ages. Let's Gv Leo the 4th Ballon D'or, he deserves it.

9 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by vanstanzy(m): 11:18am On Jan 07, 2013
blessedmayor: to me,INIESTA bt messi remains the favourite.

U re one SICK DUDE, Nigga. What manner of pic is this, clearly its photoshopped, but...this? Gross! I think i just lost my appetite. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by Arsenate(m): 11:20am On Jan 07, 2013
Bobbystanley: Its either Ronaldo or iniesta.

is an individual award; the individual that performed the best over the last year. Players like Cassilas, Alonso etc could make a claim for the award if it was based on number of trophies won as these players have won more trophies than CR7 and iniesta. However, it's an Individual award and Messi deserves it.

8 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Award by NoContract(m): 11:23am On Jan 07, 2013
[size=18pt]The wheels never change since 2008

If no be Cristiano Ronaldo, e go be Messi, or Iniesta.

So no more best football players out there?

When the same players play the game, it begins to look boring.[/size]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Arsenal (4 - 1) On 26th April 2023 / Manchester United Vs Arsenal : (0 - 1 ) On 1st November 2020 / Barcelona Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (0 - 3) On 1st May 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.