Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,477 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? (31307 Views)

Flooded Obiwali Road, Rumuigbo, Port-Harcourt (Video) / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 5:12pm On Jan 14, 2013
occam:

My goal is to better inform folks. Do you have any problem with that?

Besides If you google "flooded cars from sandy" you can get more information from reliable sites and experts

And you think those of us who are asking some pertinent questions have no access to these copy and paste websites of yours?
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by occam(m): 5:20pm On Jan 14, 2013
stagger:

And you think those of us who are asking some pertinent questions have no access to these copy and paste websites of yours?

What important questions? The thread is on dangers of buying flooded cars. Stay on topic and stay off my comments if you don't like the info I provided

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by femmy2010(m): 5:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
The issue is peeps won't just throw away those cars cos they are flooded .
There are ways of bringing them back to life so peeps would naturally explore such.
Many didn't buy a flooded car but got flooded while waiting inline to be shipped to Nigeria.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 5:30pm On Jan 14, 2013
occam:

What important questions? The thread is on dangers of buying flooded cars. Stay on topic and stay off my comments if you don't like the info I provided

Sorry sah!
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by femmy2010(m): 5:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
If you are buying a flooded car, buy one you are sure there are many a mechanics that can work on them.
Place their worst case scenario at the back of your mind, say engine and gear might be replaced in addition to the brain box.
Lastly, buy them very cheap cos you are taking a risk.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 14, 2013
dapsonlou: Buy a floor car is ok I just bought a 2008 S550 for an insurance auction in NJ for $9,800 max I budget 5k to fix it that is the worst case senerio, car is about 40k dollars . When ever u buy floor car, always think the worst that u will buy a engine, chevy colbot engine 06 will run u about 400, u might not even need 1. Change the battery, remove the plugs, start crank the car, but don't start it, u don't want it to run. Everytime u crank it all the water from the head will busrt out. Next change all the fluids, oil, transmission, brake and powersteering fluid. U r good to go

sir pls enlighten me more as i am interested in buyin an S550 2007 model mercedes benz too, and its a flooded car. What were the experiences u had, and what was the major problem of the car and how were u able to fix it thanks . Pls reply
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 6:32pm On Jan 14, 2013
As far as I know, flooded cars and not complete ship wrecks. It depends on the extent of flooding. Besides, a typical car owner in Naija who has bought a Tokunbo vehicle will be changing parts for at least the first 6 months until some sort of stability is achieved. Those who live in places like PH or Lagos where there is constant flooding from rain will always have their cars exposed to some degree of flooding.

So though I am no car expert, I do not subscribe to the notion that flood damaged vehicles are total write offs. Maybe in the US and other places where cars are bought new and the owners expect to ride them for 5 to 10 years and still get second hand value from them.

In Naija, people ride used vehicles and do not expect any third hand value from them after three or four years. In this case, I doubt that the owners would be excessively worried about flood damage.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by SisiKill1: 6:38pm On Jan 14, 2013
iykemyke:

flooded car is not good. My friends car was submerged in flood water at ejigbo, before he could get technician to fix the car it took him eight months after so many tries by different technicians until he was directed to tyre carriage at marshall kilo, yes they did try, fixed the car but after two months the car is not same again and as i type this he has abandoned the car. The car is nissan primera.

Could it be that it's because those technicians have no clue how to fix cars in the first place??!!

We all know how many Naija mechanics do kolokalo. . .hit or miss with people's cars. You take your car for fixing and it comes back with more issues than it had in the beginning.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by blackbeau1(f): 7:12pm On Jan 14, 2013
guy,if you have money,buy a new car,leave all this second hand car things.second hand things usually dont work well
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by occam(m): 8:50pm On Jan 14, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Could it be that it's because those technicians have no clue how to fix cars in the first place??!!

We all know how many Naija mechanics do kolokalo. . .hit or miss with people's cars. You take your car for fixing and it comes back with more issues than it had in the beginning.

We know most Naija technicians can't handle complex mechanical systems. The real & hidden danger are dealers that will never disclose to buyers that the vehicle is flood damaged. They'll buy the cars in the U.S., detail it and sell as clean tokunbo. Do we even know how many of these "Sandy flood" cars are on there way to Lagos?

Auto experts strongly advise people not to buy these cars and are even classified as "unfit to drive". But our Niaja dealers fix it at the cheapest rate and tell you it's manageable to drive for 2 - 3 yrs

Common sense dictates that flood damaged vehicle are potential ticking time bombs especially on our Naija roads
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Pacemaker: 10:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
Please avoid buying flooded vehicle.When it comes to car business Nigerians are learning if compared to their middle eastern counterparts. Arab car dealers are running away from those cars cos they understand the aftermath. Please don't compare Nigerian rain with salt water that covered a two story building for several weeks before drying. Cars that could withstand Lagos flood are cars manufactured 1996 and below with lesser computerized gadgets. @OP don't let the Naija over wiseness over shadow intelligent judgement, avoid flooded cars, they are only meant for parts.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by FLORIDACAR: 11:08pm On Jan 14, 2013
@Irguru, for d sake of your hard earned money stay far away from flooded car. Buying S550 Mercedes flooded car is complete NO NO! A German mechanic would not even try it!
@dapsonlou..if by now you are yet to pay IAA or whatever auction u bought that 2008 S550 my advice is relist and let it be. Or else I will be more than happy to help u buy nearly all the part on S550 ...lol..
As anyone noticed none of your Nairaland car dealer talk about flood car, why? Because they all busy stalk pilling and ready to sell them to poor Nigerian . I said it!

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by takin35(m): 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
i will advice you buy the car you will see that the car has no fault.buy the car dont be scared cos i have a friend that did and now he hie enjoying the ride.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by onyema247: 12:05am On Jan 15, 2013
just run away from flooded car, cos my brother bought one and his vitually changing every thing in the car, has to cut all the screw before any change can be made cos the whole parts has rusted, he only enjoyed the car for 4 month, don't let anyone decieve u buying such car, Nigerian flood is not the same with ocean flood, dat is salt water. Just put salt in water and pure on surface of metal, check back in few days and see what will happen to the metal, that is the same thing applicable with flooded car, i will not allow even my enemy to make such mistake
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by dapsonlou(m): 1:11am On Jan 15, 2013
occam:

Hope you enjoy your car but here is the risk:

Flood-damaged vehicles can be extremely unsafe to drive because water — especially corrosive seawater — can compromise the electronic and computer systems that control every major system in a modern car, from the engine to steering, brakes and airbags.

Also, the cars could be contaminated by bacteria and unknown toxins from the mix of storm water and sewage from overloaded drainage systems. This very worrisome

my guy bacteria ke, thats why you detail the car before using it, if you change your brainbox takes care of the electrical problem
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by imperiouxx(m): 2:29am On Jan 15, 2013
Was told of implications of submerged cars......like hurricane sandy cars. It depends on the level of submerge, how long and the kind of water the car is submerged. For college student thinking of getting another car soon after school....it may be fine if the car starts but if not, you might end up using the car as scrape for another one of same type.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 2:33am On Jan 15, 2013
stagger: I wonder o! People's cars get flooded in places like Lagos every year. Do they throw the cars away? And we are talking about water with high salt and iron content too.

Come on, bro! A car that's already owned getting flooded is one thing, buying one that's been submerged is quite a different case scenario. Besides, we're talking mostly salt water and silt. Very destructive.

Lagos floods that get up to just above the bumpers is nowhere near as bad as an automobile that's sat in salt water above the dash, sometimes for days.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 2:46am On Jan 15, 2013
global07: The only major damages flood can cause to a car is
1,Water in the Engine. If the water is drained out and a new engine oil in poured in you are go to go unless the engine had fault before the flood.
2.Electrical, the brain box is the major component if its damaged and it replaced, you are good to go.

Every other part of the car will get dried and the car would be like nothing happened.

You make it sound like a replacement ECU costs peanuts.

On a current car with CAN-BUS, simply swapping in a replacement ECU won't start the engine. What about coding? Sure some can be coded locally, but others need dealer-level software. Some need new keys, blank ECU and instrument cluster, before they can be coded. We're talking Nigeria, not the US.

There are control modules everywhere.

Transmission TCU.
ABS ECU.
Airbag ECU.
Climate control ECU.
Engine ECU.
Security / IMMO ECU.
Central locking ECU with receiver.
Audio / Navi control modules.
Electric window ECM.
Electric seat ECM.
Cruise control ECM.
Instrument cluster and IMMO III.

You reckon all these will tolerate water ingress? It's one thing to have a can with an engine that kind of runs, with perhaps random misfires. All the above will certainly be dead, and replacing the lot isn't cheap. Drying them won't help either - as long as a battery was connected to the car when it took a swim, anything with semi-conductor material will be short-circuited.

On an old car with just a basic engine control unit, and everything else pretty much manual, you might get lucky, but anything manufactured after 2003...

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Lexusgs430: 2:50am On Jan 15, 2013
All we can do is, give honest and impartial advise. What the poster decides to do with the car buying funds, is strictly a personal decision !!!
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by calculusx(m): 8:10am On Jan 15, 2013
My agent in usa is a motor vehicle inspector and warned to stay clear of flood cars especially the ones affected by salt water. The electronics will definitelty malfunction when reacted to salt water. Imagine a transistor radio been submerged in salt water for days and see what will happen to it. For those buying Flood Cars, i wish them luck
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by viperman: 8:50am On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

Come on, bro! A car that's already owned getting flooded is one thing, buying one that's been submerged is quite a different case scenario. Besides, we're talking mostly salt water and silt. Very destructive.

Lagos floods that get up to just above the bumpers is nowhere near as bad as an automobile that's sat in salt water above the dash, sometimes for days.

Its one thing to say what you know and another to say what you've not experienced. Recently, lagos floods have been crazy....sometimes, even above car level. My brother's 2005 accord was covered some few inches to roof level in the last rain flood last year or last two years.(Those who live in deep parts of adeniran ogunsanya, surulere can attest to this flood). He still drives the car happily to work after engine, gear and other car parts wee drained of water intrusion.
This same flood affected many peoples cars i know about....including BMWs; they are all still use their cars as you read this without major repairs.

I also know of three people who live in lekki/victoria island axis who had their cars flooded above dashboard level. The rain water mixed with the sea water was salty those cars still drive well 12 months after. I don't think the water from Nature in America is different from the one in Nigeria...the problem is we the Nigerians and our mentality. Whatever the whiteman says/feels is bad....we say its bad without checking.

Last year, in my home town in delta state, we all say how crazy flood ravaged parts of the towns covering upto rooftops of houses(cars inclusive). My uncles 2005 C-class was submerged in that flood(River niger water). After towing it out, he left it for a month to dry up, and had a mechanic drain the car of all oils, steam flushed the car, flushed the engine with new oils, de-coupled the whole doormats and allowed the car to to dry for a couple of days again incase of any water left; I believed he also changed the brainbox and car battery afterwhich the car was back alive again.

Its not a case of what we read on the internet, but what we experience first-hand ourselves just like in the case of Miles-per-gallon reviews which turn out slightly different when we measure it first-hand of live-drives. Yes, you might say flooded cars are bad because some electricals would have been damaged...are they ir-repairable? No! They are repairable. That is why car manufacturers make spare-parts incase of accidents, man-made or natural disasters where the car is involved...you buy the new part and replace it with the damaged part, and continue enjoying your car.

The guys in the USA and canada can afford to junk their cars immediately it swims in even bumper-level flood(something we do here regularly) because they have Insurance that cry after them on everything even to their cooking gas. So at any slightest discomfort in the car, they'd probably ask for replacement of the entire car from the insurance so they enjoy their lease period. here, we mostly buy our cars with our cash upfront..and most people hardly run comprehensive insurance. Hence, when an issue of such comes up, they fix it and continue enjoying their cars for years after.

Bottom-line, when your car is flooded....get an experienced auto-center or auto-mechanic to help diagnose, flush the system and replace faulty electrical parts.
From experience, Toyotas and Hondas seem to survive floods best with little or no repairs to be made most times...worst-cases have just been replacement of brain-boxes which are readily available in the market.

This is my opinion based on first-hand experience.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 9:14am On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

You are obviously out of touch with the degree of flooding that we have been witnessing in Nigeria for the last 4 years. No one is talking about bumper level immersion. We are talking about FULL SUBMERSION. Or did you not hear of the flooding that swept across 26 states to the extent that hippos were living in people's houses? Is that bumper level immersion?
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 15, 2013
stagger: You are obviously out of touch with the degree of flooding that we have been witnessing in Nigeria for the last 4 years. No one is talking about bumper level immersion. We are talking about FULL SUBMERSION. Or did you not hear of the flooding that swept across 26 states to the extent that hippos were living in people's houses? Is that bumper level immersion?

Salt or fresh water?
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 9:20am On Jan 15, 2013
viperman:

Its one thing to say what you know and another to say what you've not experienced. Recently, lagos floods have been crazy....sometimes, even above car level. My brother's 2005 accord was covered some few inches to roof level in the last rain flood last year or last two years.(Those who live in deep parts of adeniran ogunsanya, surulere can attest to this flood). He still drives the car happily to work after engine, gear and other car parts wee drained of water intrusion.
This same flood affected many peoples cars i know about....including BMWs; they are all still use their cars as you read this without major repairs.

I also know of three people who live in lekki/victoria island axis who had their cars flooded above dashboard level. The rain water mixed with the sea water was salty those cars still drive well 12 months after. I don't think the water from Nature in America is different from the one in Nigeria...the problem is we the Nigerians and our mentality. Whatever the whiteman says/feels is bad....we say its bad without checking.

Last year, in my home town in delta state, we all say how crazy flood ravaged parts of the towns covering upto rooftops of houses(cars inclusive). My uncles 2005 C-class was submerged in that flood(River niger water). After towing it out, he left it for a month to dry up, and had a mechanic drain the car of all oils, steam flushed the car, flushed the engine with new oils, de-coupled the whole doormats and allowed the car to to dry for a couple of days again incase of any water left; I believed he also changed the brainbox and car battery afterwhich the car was back alive again.

Its not a case of what we read on the internet, but what we experience first-hand ourselves just like in the case of Miles-per-gallon reviews which turn out slightly different when we measure it first-hand of live-drives. Yes, you might say flooded cars are bad because some electricals would have been damaged...are they ir-repairable? No! They are repairable. That is why car manufacturers make spare-parts incase of accidents, man-made or natural disasters where the car is involved...you buy the new part and replace it with the damaged part, and continue enjoying your car.

The guys in the USA and canada can afford to junk their cars immediately it swims in even bumper-level flood(something we do here regularly) because they have Insurance that cry after them on everything even to their cooking gas. So at any slightest discomfort in the car, they'd probably ask for replacement of the entire car from the insurance so they enjoy their lease period. here, we mostly buy our cars with our cash upfront..and most people hardly run comprehensive insurance. Hence, when an issue of such comes up, they fix it and continue enjoying their cars for years after.

Bottom-line, when your car is flooded....get an experienced auto-center or auto-mechanic to help diagnose, flush the system and replace faulty electrical parts.
From experience, Toyotas and Hondas seem to survive floods best with little or no repairs to be made most times...worst-cases have just been replacement of brain-boxes which are readily available in the market.

This is my opinion based on first-hand experience.

MY GUY, YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 9:22am On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

Salt or fresh water?

When you have an Atlantic ocean surge into Bayelsa, coupled with flood water from River Niger, Benue and its tributaries, I would not consider that fresh water would I? Besides, the water in Lagos has high salt and iron content: that cannot be fresh water can it?
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 15, 2013
viperman: Its one thing to say what you know and another to say what you've not experienced. Recently, lagos floods have been crazy....sometimes, even above car level. My brother's 2005 accord was covered some few inches to roof level in the last rain flood last year or last two years.(Those who live in deep parts of adeniran ogunsanya, surulere can attest to this flood). He still drives the car happily to work after engine, gear and other car parts wee drained of water intrusion.

Viper, I don't want to appear rude here. But you're not making much sense.

I don't have to experience a flooded car to make my observation. The fact is, a can that's been submerged in salt water will never be the same. We probably have different opinions on what a car that still drives after being under water entails. You keep harping on about "Lagos floods". Were the recent floods salt water?

I know how conductive saline is, if a current is passed through it! And I know what happens to any semiconductor material that's subjected to saline with power connected to it. You fry the circuits, simple. I'm sure folk have dropped their cellphones into water, and seen the results. Now take a modern automobile that's 10 times more complex, and has more than 100 times the circuitry your phone has, and tell me that after a saline bath, you'll get 10/10 circuits ALL survive?

If you've had to pay out for an ECU and instrument cluster for a 2011 BMW 535D you'd be singing a different tune. Then found someone to code the lot to allow the car to run. I'm sure you know all this, yet you just casually say all you need to buy is an ECU,and all will be well, like ECU's cost pennies.

By all means, buy flooded automobile, but don't misinform potential buyers of the risks associated with these purchases, and give them the impression that all a flooded car needs is fluid changes, drying out and a replacement ECU to function at 100%, because that's far from the truth.

Bottom line is, there's no way to gauge the damage flooding will do to an automobile. I'm not referring to an automobile you already own that got flooded. I'm talking about going out there to buy a vehicle that's been submerged in salt water. No mechanic can tell how much it'll cost to put right, all that can be done is replace an array of control modules till the car can function. And with each replacement, the owner's bill gets higher, till he / she's past the point of no return. And may well end up paying more for a vehicle, than if they'd bought a straight one to start with.

There are two guys here commenting, who have had the misfortune to get into this trap, I've sent a total of 9 control units between the pair of them, and their cars still aren't right. One's a 2009 Range Rover Sport, the other a 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharged. I've had notification last Thursday the Jaguar needs a replacement supercharger, and as I'm typing, I've received a quote - £1,875 + VAT (£2,250 / 567,000 Naira) and core charge, core charge is £350 + VAT (£420 / 106,000 Naira. Shipping cost yet to be determined, as I have no idea the weight. The owner has searched high and low for a used one locally, and so have I. No dice. I feel as bad as if these were my own cars. Perhaps one of these guys will tell you how much they've spent so far, since November 2012.

And before you say "all my surmissions are based upon internet trawling", think again. I run a garage, and work on all manner of automobile on a daily basis, and that includes flooded ones.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 11:20am On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

Viper, I don't want to appear rude here. But you're not making much sense.

I don't have to experience a flooded car to make my observation. The fact is, a can that's been submerged in salt water will never be the same. We probably have different opinions on what a car that still drives after being under water entails. You keep harping on about "Lagos floods". Were the recent floods salt water?

I know how conductive saline is, if a current is passed through it! And I know what happens to any semiconductor material that's subjected to saline with power connected to it. You fry the circuits, simple. I'm sure folk have dropped their cellphones into water, and seen the results. Now take a modern automobile that's 10 times more complex, and has more than 100 times the circuitry your phone has, and tell me that after a saline bath, you'll get 10/10 circuits ALL survive?

If you've had to pay out for an ECU and instrument cluster for a 2011 BMW 535D you'd be singing a different tune. Then found someone to code the lot to allow the car to run. I'm sure you know all this, yet you just casually say all you need to buy is an ECU,and all will be well, like ECU's cost pennies.

By all means, buy flooded automobile, but don't misinform potential buyers of the risks associated with these purchases, and give them the impression that all a flooded car needs is fluid changes, drying out and a replacement ECU to function at 100%, because that's far from the truth.

Bottom line is, there's no way to gauge the damage flooding will do to an automobile. I'm not referring to an automobile you already own that got flooded. I'm talking about going out there to buy a vehicle that's been submerged in salt water. No mechanic can tell how much it'll cost to put right, all that can be done is replace an array of control modules till the car can function. And with each replacement, the owner's bill gets higher, till he / she's past the point of no return. And may well end up paying more for a vehicle, than if they'd bought a straight one to start with.

There are two guys here commenting, who have had the misfortune to get into this trap, I've sent a total of 9 control units between the pair of them, and their cars still aren't right. One's a 2009 Range Rover Sport, the other a 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharged. I've had notification last Thursday the Jaguar needs a replacement supercharger, and as I'm typing, I've received a quote - £1,875 + VAT (£2,250 / 567,000 Naira) and core charge, core charge is £350 + VAT (£420 / 106,000 Naira. Shipping cost yet to be determined, as I have no idea the weight. The owner has searched high and low for a used one locally, and so have I. No dice. I feel as bad as if these were my own cars. Perhaps one of these guys will tell you how much they've spent so far, since November 2012.

And before you say "all my surmissions are based upon internet trawling", think again. I run a garage, and work on all manner of automobile on a daily basis, and that includes flooded ones.

Siena, the guy is making a lot of sense in terms of PRACTICAL experiences. Just because he is coming from another angle does not make him wrong, and that also does not make you wrong as well.

The truth is NO ONE CAN TELL THE EXTENT OF DAMAGE THAT FLOODING DOES TO A CAR, as you rightly pointed out. It is relative. Some will come out unscathed, some will not and others will be somewhere in between. I have used a car that was not flooded but gave me lots of issues. And it was not even an OBD compliant vehicle.

It is all relative. Nothing in this world is a complete ABSOLUTE!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by viperman: 9:53pm On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

Viper, I don't want to appear rude here. But you're not making much sense................

No offense taken as we are all learning from one another here(i especially learn a lot from your posts)...but I'd agree with you that when it comes to putting cars in order for end users including flooded ones, as you have rightly stated in the excerpt below from your statement above:
"No mechanic can tell how much it'll cost to put right, all that can be done is replace an array of control modules till the car can function"

true, no mechanic can, but a dealer who has spent money to put some for family and friends back in tip-top 100% shape in time and recent past can tell smiley
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
viperman: true, no mechanic can, but a dealer who has spent money to put some for family and friends back in tip-top 100% shape in time and recent past can tell smiley

There are isolated cases, which will not apply to all cases. Bro, let's say your dad sent you money to buy him an automobile, would you honestly, hand-on-heart buy him a flood-damaged vehicle?

Answers on a postcard! wink
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by igbsam(m): 11:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
Hey guys, i came across the auctionexport website and most cars there are flooded cars. Some wont start and some do start. Is it advisable to go for the ones that starts ? I am considering getting some cars from there. Not cos they are cheap but because i needed them both for commercial and personal use. Would like to know if buying the ones that starts would pose any risk or danger. Thanks for your response in advance.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 12:23am On Jan 16, 2013
igbsam: Hey guys, i came across the auctionexport website and most cars there are flooded cars. Some wont start and some do start. Is it advisable to go for the ones that starts ? I am considering getting some cars from there. Not cos they are cheap but because i needed them both for commercial and personal use. Would like to know if buying the ones that starts would pose any risk or danger. Thanks for your response in advance.
igbsam: Hey guys, i came across the auctionexport website and most cars there are flooded cars. Some wont start and some do start. Is it advisable to go for the ones that starts ? I am considering getting some cars from there. Not cos they are cheap but because i needed them both for commercial and personal use. Would like to know if buying the ones that starts would pose any risk or danger. Thanks for your response in advance.

Buy the ones from the West Coast and avoid those listed from NY, NJ, MD and the eastern coast.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Pacemaker: 1:10am On Jan 16, 2013
Just recently a Nigerian car dealer based in Houston was given 15k dollars to buy a camry for a client based in Nigeria, he decided to use a short cut and then purchased a flooded car from hurricane sandy without the owner's consent. As we speak, the car could not start and he was told that it will cost him 10k dollars to change all the electrucal parts which includes labor. Meanwhile the car was shipped from NYC to Houston which was close to 800 dollars. Its been one month and the owner of the car have not heard from the Nigerian car dealer. Dude is running around Houston begging people to help him with cash to pay off his debt. Don't allow greed put you in a difficult situation. Labor in America is not cheap and mechanics that repair such cars charges between 45 to 70 dollars an hour. I recently bought a Range Rover Sports in Cali from auction for some one in Abuja and the car was less than 26k dollars including shipping

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Car, Your Ride and Our Dream Cars / Honda Launches Nigerian Assembled HR-V SUV - Photos / With These Ideas, You Can Turn Your Old Cars Into Treasures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.