Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,121 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? (17987 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ojeffo: 12:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
i pre ordered a car from a friend whose brother is based in the united states,and he is yet to deliver the vehicle,and im not even sur if he has purchased it.My fears now is that he may just finally get me a flooded car,which might develop very bad problems later.pls i need ur contributions.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
Since you are not there to inspect by yourself, this will be a tough one, but you could send this to the dude helping you to buy:
There are also some signs of flooding that you can easily check for, including the following:

Signs of mud or silt on the exterior, including wheel wells
Signs of mud, silt, water, or moisture on the interior, including in the glove box and dashboard
Signs of mud, silt, or a water line on the interior of the trunk or engine compartment
Moisture or water line in signal lamps
Sellers who are reluctant to let you see the engine, trunk, or any part of the vehicle

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ojeffo: 4:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
Thank u sooo very much Uncle Fhemmy! i appreciate!
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by yhemster(m): 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
My Advice to a fellow Nairalanders:

I respect everybody's comment here but my advice is this: Kindly ask the person to send ur money back by giving excuses such as medical emergency (God forbid). I live in the US and knows whats going on, as from today the market will be saturated with the flooded cars selling for cheap price (which is a good deal for naija dealers). if you ask the guy not to buy a flooded car there is no way you can know cos the cars will be properly cleaned to avoid odor and suspicious signs (as stated by oga fhemmmy). Accepting your loss on the transaction fees is better then buying the junk in market now. This is a salt water flood.
And for those contemplating on buying American cars soon, pls buy from the West coast or buy from Europe.

6 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by ojeffo: 3:49am On Oct 31, 2012
yhemster: My Advice to a fellow Nairalanders:

I respect everybody's comment here but my advice is this: Kindly ask the person to send ur money back by giving excuses such as medical emergency (God forbid). I live in the US and knows whats going on, as from today the market will be saturated with the flooded cars selling for cheap price (which is a good deal for naija dealers). if you ask the guy not to buy a flooded car there is no way you can know cos the cars will be properly cleaned to avoid odor and suspicious signs (as stated by oga fhemmmy). Accepting your loss on the transaction fees is better then buying the junk in market now. This is a salt water flood.
And for those contemplating on buying American cars soon, pls buy from the West coast or buy from Europe.
Hhhhmmm!!!! U get serious point here oo.But dis guz na my best friend oo,and ¶ dnt knw hw to go about asking him 4 refund.Funny thing is dt he has not even shown me any pictures or details of any car,and has given me many different stories each time ¶ demand 4 an update.d sms ¶ sent him d last time has never been replied.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Fhemmmy: 1:40pm On Oct 31, 2012
ojeffo:
Hhhhmmm!!!! U get serious point here oo.But dis guz na my best friend oo,and ¶ dnt knw hw to go about asking him 4 refund.Funny thing is dt he has not even shown me any pictures or details of any car,and has given me many different stories each time ¶ demand 4 an update.d sms ¶ sent him d last time has never been replied.

How long ago did you give him the money for the deal? Cos getting a reliable ride takes time, and sometimes depends on your budget.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2012
ojeffo: Thank u sooo very much Uncle Fhemmy! i appreciate!
ok dude you try!.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2012

grin
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by valdubem(m): 4:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
Drock4christ: grin

wetin bring laff come dis matter? abi U chop winch?

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by InvertedHammer: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
Some issues here:

Has he bought the car yet? If yes, no need for refund. If No, refund may be applicable.

If he buys the car now and it is a flood car. What can you do? Nothing!

But to satisfy your curiosity....the easiest give away of flooded car which is very difficult to hide is the interior carpet.
Some extreme detailing may hide other warning signs of mud. When you get the car, pry open the carpet and check for signs of mud.
Nobody is meticulous enough to detail under carpet of a car...They hope buyers wont be knowledgeable enough to look.

If mud exists under the carpet, oh well....

Either way, whatever the flooding did not destroy, Nigeria mechanics will.

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2012
val_dubem:

wetin bring laff come dis matter? abi U chop winch?
na ur papa chop am remain give me!.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by kcsider: 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2012
ojeffo:

E be like say flood don carry the money grin

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by gbolio4(m): 5:01pm On Oct 31, 2012
InvertedHammer: Some issues here:

Has he bought the car yet? If yes, no need for refund. If No, refund may be applicable.

If he buys the car now and it is a flood car. What can you do? Nothing!

But to satisfy your curiosity....the easiest give away of flooded car which is very difficult to hide is the interior carpet.
Some extreme detailing may hide other warning signs of mud. When you get the car, pry open the carpet and check for signs of mud.
Nobody is meticulous enough to detail under carpet of a car...They hope buyers wont be knowledgeable enough to look.

If mud exists under the carpet, oh well....

Either way, whatever the flooding did not destroy, Nigeria mechanics will.

Hmnnn...

Hmnnnnn.. Serious Worrd
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Afam4eva(m): 5:03pm On Oct 31, 2012
What is wrong with a flooded car? # justasking
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by valdubem(m): 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2012
Drock4christ: na ur papa chop am remain give me!.

e be like say flood don wash ur brain finish

2 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by dridowu: 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2012
Just passing
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by viperman: 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2012
Why not JUST carfax or Autocheck it?

www.viperautos.com
www.facebook.com/ViperAutos

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2012
Fhemmmy: Since you are not there to inspect by yourself, this will be a tough one, but you could send this to the dude helping you to buy:
There are also some signs of flooding that you can easily check for, including the following:

Signs of mud, silt, water, or moisture on the interior, including in the glove box and dashboard
Signs of mud, silt, or a water line on the interior of the trunk or engine compartment
Sellers who are reluctant to let you see the engine, trunk, or any part of the vehicle
Plus U gotta use UR nose. smell the interior for hints of dampness
Study the body for signs of rust including small envelopes of rust under the paint job
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by B3sty(m): 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva: What is wrong with a flooded car? # justasking
Wetin wrong be say, " if u carry your Motor waka from Lagos to Ibadan, ee go breakdown for Road reach 12 times before its get to your final Destination", u get that? Lol

3 Likes

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by InvertedHammer: 5:14pm On Oct 31, 2012
Drock4christ: grin

The same cars get shipped to the West Coast too at discounted prices. So buying from the West Coast does not guarantee anything.
We see a lot here which is why California has lemon law to protect buyers from unscrupulous car salesmen. Be informed that used car salespersons
rank high among hated people (in terms of the profession) in the USA next to lawyers and insurance sales agents.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by amosy007: 5:16pm On Oct 31, 2012
its like buying second hand used by nigerian car.. U will have to change almost all its internal components b4 u can enjoy it
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by InvertedHammer: 5:19pm On Oct 31, 2012

Electrical components and rust. If a car has never given you electrical problem(s) you probably will not understand.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 31, 2012
InvertedHammer:

Electrical components and rust. If a car has never given you electrical problem(s) you probably will not understand.

are u an fx trader, ur user name kind of points to it
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by umechuma: 5:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
It was not the whole of US that was flooded,the flood only affected the east coast-New York and New Jersey.You can still buy cars from places like California,Texas,Chicago and other major cities in the US.
The whole of America was not flood,get the facts right and buy your car without fear.

1 Like

Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Super1759: 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2012
Fhemmmy: Since you are not there to inspect by yourself, this will be a tough one, but you could send this to the dude helping you to buy:

I juste sent you a mail
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by stagger: 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hmm.

I have a car I bought which has been at the port in New Jersey for the past 4 weeks awaiting shipping by Grimaldi. I hope the flood did not get there.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by GoldenLady1: 5:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
Fhemmmy:

How long ago did you give him the money for the deal? Cos getting a reliable ride takes time, and sometimes depends on your budget.

I'm not a car expert but this was my experience when I went through a third party to purchase my vehicle. It took a while for the guy to find the right vehicle at auction. He told me at the time people were overbidding and he was making sure he got a quality vehicle that would last. If the person you're buying from is reputable this could be a factor since cars here are going for way more than they should right now.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by InvertedHammer: 5:44pm On Oct 31, 2012
aguiyi:

are u an fx trader, ur user name kind of points to it

NO. I am futures trader specifically Crude oil.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Sxsells: 5:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
@op... Just wanna ask, how do I post topics on NL.? What's the procedure? tks
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by Sprumbaba: 5:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
[size=14pt]You dont need to get your money back. If the buyer in the US has auction license , you can go to the auction website and select the car you want and he will bid on it for you. The auction website will tell you (They have inspectors to tell you the condition ) what happened to the car you want to buy.[/size]
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by 5much(m): 6:00pm On Oct 31, 2012
umechuma: It was not the whole of US that was flooded,the flood only affected the east coast-New York and New Jersey.You can still buy cars from places like California,Texas,Chicago and other major cities in the US.
The whole of America was not flood,get the facts right and buy your car without fear.
d flooded cars could b shipped 2 other parts of America.one must b very careful.
Re: How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? by free2ryhme: 6:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
ojeffo:

money catch fire ... Voicemail

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let's Discuss Wheel Alignment And Balancing / 6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics / Which Is Better? To Buy A Car In Nigeria Or Ship It In?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.