Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,340 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? (31306 Views)

Flooded Obiwali Road, Rumuigbo, Port-Harcourt (Video) / How To Avoid Buying A Flooded Car From The US? / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Nobody: 1:21am On Jan 16, 2013
Pacemaker: Just recently a Nigerian car dealer based in Houston was given 15k dollars to buy a camry for a client based in Nigeria, he decided to use a short cut and then purchased a flooded car from hurricane sandy without the owner's consent. As we speak, the car could not start and he was told that it will cost him 10k dollars to change all the electrucal parts which includes labor. Meanwhile the car was shipped from NYC to Houston which was close to 800 dollars. Its been one month and the owner of the car have not heard from the Nigerian car dealer. Dude is running around Houston begging people to help him with cash to pay off his debt. Don't allow greed put you in a difficult situation. Labor in America is not cheap and mechanics that repair such cars charges between 45 to 70 dollars an hour. I recently bought a Range Rover Sports in Cali from auction for some one in Abuja and the car was less than 26k dollars including shipping

And this is one reason not to take a gamble, especially with funds that belong to someone else.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Pacemaker: 1:40am On Jan 16, 2013
Siena:

And this is one reason not to take a gamble, especially with funds that belong to someone else.

Real talk. Nigerians love to cut corners and now he is paying for it. Most people advising the OP to go ahead and buy the car may not even own a car.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by stagger: 11:33am On Jan 16, 2013
Pacemaker:
Just recently a Nigerian car dealer based in Houston was given 15k dollars to buy a camry for a client based in Nigeria, he decided to use a short cut and then purchased a flooded car from hurricane sandy without the owner's consent. As we speak, the car could not start and he was told that it will cost him 10k dollars to change all the electrucal parts which includes labor. Meanwhile the car was shipped from NYC to Houston which was close to 800 dollars. Its been one month and the owner of the car have not heard from the Nigerian car dealer. Dude is running around Houston begging people to help him with cash to pay off his debt. Don't allow greed put you in a difficult situation. Labor in America is not cheap and mechanics that repair such cars charges between 45 to 70 dollars an hour. I recently bought a Range Rover Sports in Cali from auction for some one in Abuja and the car was less than 26k dollars including shipping

That is God in action for you.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by ivoryhouse(m): 8:26pm On Mar 14, 2013
I just started my car business, buying cars from U.S to sell in Nigeria. I have been doing research into flood car issues for about 3 months, and these are my conclusions - before i say them, arabians buy flood cars as i almost bought a 2012 infinity qx56 and arabians were buying them for $36,000 usd!!!:

- If you must buy a flood car, buy one that runs and drives. a flood car that has been parked for long will may have brittle cables(when they dry up the become brittle and will snap easily causing untold damage and risk to life) but if current passes through the cables they may not have such issues

- if you must buy flood cars, buy the newer models that were flooded in the factory. they may have been inactive and the chances of a careless insurance agent dubbing all the cars in the factory flood to save his time will be high. they send 'humans' to check the level of flooding at such sites and these people give reports. Now what happens (sometimes) is that some of them just write-off all the cars, especially if they are many, as flood salvage to save their time. some may have been completely submerged and some may not

- If you must buy a flood car, ascertain the date of flooding, most sites list whether its sandy or other hurricanes. The more recent the flooding, the better the chances of getting the car fixed without issues

- If you must buy a flooded car, buy one that has already been cleaned by the auction site, they have proffessionals who use chemicals that reduce the activity of the salt on the car, and also protect the car from further damage by salt.

- sometimes it pays to buy cars that are not too current especially if none of the above conditions are available and you have to buy the car. these cars will be easier to fix - please buy the hondas and toyotas, especially trucks and SUVs, these cars are designed to take some level of water so they naturally have flood resistance built in their dna. Imagine a range rover flooded upto the engine level, on a normal off-road experience it fords water as high as its engine and doesnt even feel it, so you may bring it to Nigeria and put a new battery and it cranks up and all electronics work without a hitch.

- bear in mind that these western countries have very high safety standards and sometimes these standards are a bit unrealistic. americans buy flood cars and rebuil them for personal use, it costs less to fix cars in Nigeria (if the parts are available) than the average car in america!

Quite a mouthful, right, well i just bought a flood suv for friend and will update that experiance with the house when the car lands in a few weeks. Good luck
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by emalekuo(m): 10:52pm On Mar 14, 2013
ivoryhouse: I just started my car business, buying cars from U.S to sell in Nigeria. I have been doing research into flood car issues for about 3 months, and these are my conclusions - before i say them, arabians buy flood cars as i almost bought a 2012 infinity qx56 and arabians were buying them for $36,000 usd!!!:

- If you must buy a flood car, buy one that runs and drives. a flood car that has been parked for long will may have brittle cables(when they dry up the become brittle and will snap easily causing untold damage and risk to life) but if current passes through the cables they may not have such issues

- if you must buy flood cars, buy the newer models that were flooded in the factory. they may have been inactive and the chances of a careless insurance agent dubbing all the cars in the factory flood to save his time will be high. they send 'humans' to check the level of flooding at such sites and these people give reports. Now what happens (sometimes) is that some of them just write-off all the cars, especially if they are many, as flood salvage to save their time. some may have been completely submerged and some may not

- If you must buy a flood car, ascertain the date of flooding, most sites list whether its sandy or other hurricanes. The more recent the flooding, the better the chances of getting the car fixed without issues

- If you must buy a flooded car, buy one that has already been cleaned by the auction site, they have proffessionals who use chemicals that reduce the activity of the salt on the car, and also protect the car from further damage by salt.

- sometimes it pays to buy cars that are not too current especially if none of the above conditions are available and you have to buy the car. these cars will be easier to fix - please buy the hondas and toyotas, especially trucks and SUVs, these cars are designed to take some level of water so they naturally have flood resistance built in their dna. Imagine a range rover flooded upto the engine level, on a normal off-road experience it fords water as high as its engine and doesnt even feel it, so you may bring it to Nigeria and put a new battery and it cranks up and all electronics work without a hitch.

- bear in mind that these western countries have very high safety standards and sometimes these standards are a bit unrealistic. americans buy flood cars and rebuil them for personal use, it costs less to fix cars in Nigeria (if the parts are available) than the average car in america!

Quite a mouthful, right, well i just bought a flood suv for friend and will update that experiance with the house when the car lands in a few weeks. Good luck
Thanks for the info , would be waiting for the update on the said SUV.
Re: What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? by Badb0y4lyf(m): 10:10pm On Oct 31, 2017
ivoryhouse:
I just started my car business, buying cars from U.S to sell in Nigeria. I have been doing research into flood car issues for about 3 months, and these are my conclusions - before i say them, arabians buy flood cars as i almost bought a 2012 infinity qx56 and arabians were buying them for $36,000 usd!!!:

Hi what has been ur experience there has been another hurrican and I'm thinking of buying a flooded car.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Car, Your Ride and Our Dream Cars / Honda Launches Nigerian Assembled HR-V SUV - Photos / With These Ideas, You Can Turn Your Old Cars Into Treasures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.