Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim (20410 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / UNIBEN Professor Recants HIV/AIDS Cure Discovery / Hiv/aids Cure - How The West Deceives Nigeria – Jacob Abdulahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by obyrich(m): 7:04am On Jan 10, 2013
austushi1:

What if he does it alone? Is it their brain he used to get d findings? Its envy! Let's say it d way it is. Black man no dey like make him fellow black man rise above am! They are probably envious of him dat the U.S government might take him abroad n expand his levels, n then make him popular. U kw hw it is now; how dis common prof wey we sit 2geda discuss say make dem give am prof go come popular worldwide n we go come remain here. Its d black man reasoning! Black man with black sense! They just want to discredit dat mans effort! That's y d whites will ever be better than us. Its so annoying! Ok, y didn't they get 1 HIV patient, pass d vaccine into his/her systen, then see if it works or not! F..king procedure! Procedure my foot! Prof, bone dem make u continue with ya life ojare!

YOU need to cure yourself of slave mentality. What's wrong with him partnering with a Nigerian Pharmaceutical company in the manufacturing of the drugs? Do you think the US will recognize him if he is not properly registered with NAFDAC and the WHO? The prof's problem is sheer greed! He would prefer to answer Mr-know-it-all at the expense of millions of people living with AIDS who would benefit from the drug if he had carried others along and gotten proper approval
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by obyrich(m): 7:17am On Jan 10, 2013
chymystique: I Dunnoo Y Most.Lecturers Are Badbelles.. Dey r Veri Envious Of EacH odas Progress.... undecided undecided

So the Provost would have been right if he had approved a drug that had not been clinically certified by approved agencies? No wonder Nigeria is flooded by substandard goods. Remember the story of TROVAN and MY PIKIN? If the prof really is not a herbalist he knows the route to follow to obtain proper approval for his drugs. AIDS is not an epidemic in HIS village.Therefore any drug meant for its cure must be duly scrutinized by all the world regulatory agencies. Else, he may seek and obtain the approval of his traditional ruler and use it in his village!
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by obyrich(m): 7:24am On Jan 10, 2013
agi-tuedor:

We're talking of a prof here, mister! What makes u think he will make such claims without clinical tests? Knowing what it can do to his integrity if he was found wrong... The bottomline is, there's something fishy here....i'm in UNIBEN, I know how they reason.
How do UNIBEN profs reason? Dont be surprised that the Prof you are supporting may have failed to acknowledge other young people who assisted him in the research. Where did he perform the clinical tests?
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by saem(m): 7:26am On Jan 10, 2013
As a prof and a dean of faculty I dare say he is capable of carrying out an independent research (we are not talking about some undergrad med student here).

He did not follow the normal procedure for reasons best known to him not because he did not know that there was some procedure.

Now my take! Because this is a cure for HIV/AIDs we are talking about,this prof should be supported by the school authority and federal government until it can be proven that his finding is useless.

let no body hide under some procedural inconsistencies and kill this man's efforts so far. If the whole world is not waiting for the cure for HIV/AIDs, my dear continent(AFRICA) is waiting.

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by obyrich(m): 7:28am On Jan 10, 2013
born2fuck: The entire UNIBEN should be lock in prison, when I have been rejoicing for an end of fear of fucking without Condom, you bring in Yeye Denouncing story.....God go denied all of una for heaven
Take it easy bros.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by vizboy(m): 7:32am On Jan 10, 2013
To me this is just envy. Uniben are trying to claim credit and he is not giving them the chance so they came out with these cock and bull story so that the man wont have any sponsor and that we bring the man down and he will come running to them for support. This is all physcological warfar btw them and the prof
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by temtem1(m): 7:35am On Jan 10, 2013
austushi1:

What if he does it alone? Is it their brain he used to get d findings? Its envy! Let's say it d way it is. Black man no dey like make him fellow black man rise above am! They are probably envious of him dat the U.S government might take him abroad n expand his levels, n then make him popular. U kw hw it is now; how dis common prof wey we sit 2geda discuss say make dem give am prof go come popular worldwide n we go come remain here. Its d black man reasoning! Black man with black sense! They just want to discredit dat mans effort! That's y d whites will ever be better than us. Its so annoying! Ok, y didn't they get 1 HIV patient, pass d vaccine into his/her systen, then see if it works or not! F..king procedure! Procedure my foot! Prof, bone dem make u continue with ya life ojare!
My friend stop ranting in ignorance, in developing a new drug there are procedures u must follow, it's not negotiable...
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Joythah(m): 7:40am On Jan 10, 2013
agi-tuedor:
Does he need approval from the College to carry out independent research? So, make he carry dem along so that at the end na we go dey hear different stories. All na politics, abeg!
so true. There is no rule that say you cant carry out research in private labs. The man must have done all his analysis outside. Infact when last did uniben do any in house research or analysis. The same faculty where we spend about 50000 naira to do our lab analysis outside. If Prof Ibeh can prove his work and open it to external testing abroad the better for humanity. It is obvious that his work will not make headway in corrupt Nigeria. BTW i thought prof iyawe and ibeh were friends afterall prof iyawe single handedly decided the deanship election in his favour....
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by oluwaisaac(m): 7:40am On Jan 10, 2013
acidosis™:

Sorry but thats the way it is...right from creation. Prof is a civil servant.. someone pays him! He's a servant working under authority! He has no right whatsoever to carry out such research in isolation.

If he must do it alone.. Fine! He can willingly resign and then, set up a private research laboratory... Remember, even the private labs are under authority.. There are regulations in the pharmaceutical/pharmacological sector (B.P)
Isaac NEWTON USED A UNIVERSITY'S FACILITIES AND GOT HIS CREDIT. TALK ABOUT THE WORK FIRST,NOT PROCEDURE....PROCEDURE CANNOT CURE HIV....LECTURERS ARE ENVIOUS OF THEMSELVES...PERIOD!
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by oluwaisaac(m): 7:44am On Jan 10, 2013
Come to think of it...we like commitees in this nation. They want him to follow procedure then they will say they are waiting for approval from one useless government untill the dream dies...wicked, self-centred people. Same reason Osaze was dropped in spite of his competence. Backward thinking nation!
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Igweka(m): 7:45am On Jan 10, 2013
Obinnau: its not envy mister. Actually they are right, protocols need to be observed. But they should have made the matter an in-house têtê-a-têtê.
that means the discovery is real only that the school dnt have share there. Oh Naija
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Legalaffairs(m): 7:48am On Jan 10, 2013
Siga: There is no envy or bad belle here at all....Prof. u suppose follow procedure now....play by the rules of ur employers....and besides....where the trials wey u carry out before announcing this break through.... if this works...u are made whichever way Prof....no need to box all man out...
don't be in a hurry to conclude untill u hear from the Prof. My brother this is NigerIa, don't be surprise that the so called institution did not support this research, don't be surprise that the Prof sourced fund independently, probably with his properties to fund this research. Йąu institution will want to be carried along. Prof might know ΨђåƮ he is doing by releasing the result before recognising procedure so that the world will hear the full story that he did it all alone. Just watch the scene as it unfolds

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 10, 2013
obyrich:

YOU need to cure yourself of slave mentality. What's wrong with him partnering with a Nigerian Pharmaceutical company in the manufacturing of the drugs? Do you think the US will recognize him if he is not properly registered with NAFDAC and the WHO? The prof's problem is sheer greed! He would prefer to answer Mr-know-it-all at the expense of millions of people living with AIDS who would benefit from the drug if he had carried others along and gotten proper approval

The issue is not; partnering with a pharmaceutical company or getting it registered with NAFDAC! Brosn It has not yet gotten to dat. The issue is dat the university denounced his claims because the vaccine didn't pass thru clinical procedures. All I'm saying is; y denounce his claim outrightly? Let's say he made a mistake for not carrying d university along n for not going thru procedures, but its not late for them to get dez vaccines from him n make it pass thru dez procedures. Channel d cure to d right body, like d clinical tests being mentioned, then test n see if it truly works or not, instead of condemning his efforts, just like dat! Then, dem fit purnish am later for using their time n equipment
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Joythah(m): 7:55am On Jan 10, 2013
chreld_b:

Some peoples ignorance baffles me. What is bad belle in the statement made by the provost for christ's sake? He said the institution is not in agreement with Professor Ibehs claim FOR NOW!!!!! reason being because the university was not carried along meaning that some protocols have to be observed in order to verify the claims made by the scientist. For some reason some people have misconstrued that statement to mean that Prof Ibeh did not bribe the "University cabal". Some of you on this nairaland are just a big temptation. It's like You want people to insult you for refusing to use your brains. What responsible institution will back a staff member for claims that have no proof? If so research or academic staff of the institution can come out and claim they have discovered how to get to heaven or El dorado and the University should back them up because the individual is a staff member. Common people use ya head!! The provost even took the time to explain that the school would like to take credit for the discovery claim but cannot because laid down protocols have not been followed which include clinical trials, informing the federal ministry of health, NAFDAC, WHO e.t.c. What else do you expect the school to do? And for those saying it is non of the University's business because it is a personal research your ignorance can be pardoned. But however, you must know that any scientific Journal that the findings are published in will have the University of Benin as the academic institution where the research was carried out. Also any funding that has been and will be derived for the research was and will be granted as a result of the knowledge that the University of Benin was and will be serving as a form of guarantor to provide facilities and support where the research will be carried out. I hope my points are well understood.
actually, you are wrong. Once a research is tagged private, it has nothing to do with your place of work. Although it will be very strange to foreigners that a his collegues were not carried along which is not considered as best practice in the world of research... Besides as a trained microbiologist, what makes you think prof ibeh dosent have his own laboratory. I know uniben very well. That's how they frustrated prof idu's attempt at protocol just because he and the vc are not on good terms. Prof ibeh must have seen all this and decided to go solo.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by UmmRumy(f): 8:04am On Jan 10, 2013
Some comments on nairaland sef. If he had carried them along his findings would hav nt sn d light of day. Most of u r nt in d naija university system so u dt know how they kill dreams there.

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by passion007: 8:09am On Jan 10, 2013
mumumugu: Nigerians are in a rush. May be he just tested the mixtture on a rabit and it workd . Then he grabed the mic and made anouncement. He should have followd due proces
I should think that a university professor of medical sciences would know that much. In his press statement notice he never said 'I am at the verge of making history' rather he spoke in the plural, which suggests he is at least working together with a subset of the university community. In the university of Nigeria teaching hospital, Ituku/Ozalla, Enugu, Prof Chijioke Mba has been working on an antiretroviral drug codenamed Irab that first shone a spark of potential, but the university community is aware and not much progress has been made... Perhaps a case of 'too many cooks spoil the broth'. Not to mention that a discovery like this should be top secret till it is patented. Furthermore, the professor doesn't claim the drug is all safe and ready for consumption, rather trials are still ongoing. The main point of his public statement was not to earn accolades already but to gain government financial support to continue with the research.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by enigmagu1(m): 8:09am On Jan 10, 2013
i no bliv any of dem...period...bt nt monthly type o..
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 10, 2013
Last I checked there is nothing wrong in one carrying out an independent research(infacts its one of the qualities of a good academician). However, if he arrives at such landmark breakthrough the onus lies upon him to draw the attention of his colleaques to his findings. They will then along with him for sureness-sake carry out clinical findings before informing the neccessary bodies and then press release(that is when the said bodies okays the findings). Q.E.D!

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by kelvincoll(m): 8:30am On Jan 10, 2013
A-ZeD:

1)He used their equipments, he works for them and he used office hours to develop it.
2)You my friend are an ignorant fellow. How do you claim you can cure hiv when you've not done clinical trials? What are the side effects of the drug?
It's people like you who have no idea how things should work that are pulling this country back.

Prof. Ibeh had, in a recent interview, hinted of the discovery of an oral drug made from plants extraction in Nigeria for the possible cure of the pandemic HIV/AIDS.

I think the Prof is just wise, he could foresee the outcome should he "carry the unversity along", he may not even be recognised as all he could get is a "a team of Profs frm Uniben discovered the cure". What he probably intended was to put his name on the spotlight so after all Mins of health and Nafdac verifications, he is not stripped off his efforts... IMO
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by jude33084(m): 8:37am On Jan 10, 2013
dreu2fine: Stupid naija,na so dem do abalaka

Why do we always talk from layman's point of view? undecided
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by coruso(m): 8:46am On Jan 10, 2013
what the prof. is to first get his potent right first, by geting a compinent legal rep. the black race should start believing in themself. goverment, regulatory agency should relly round this man instead. come to think of it, if this is real how much dollers in terms of research for our institutions,sales and respect we will hav as a country. nigeria surport this man.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by jude33084(m): 8:54am On Jan 10, 2013
Umm Rumy: Some comments on nairaland sef. If he had carried them along his findings would hav nt sn d light of day. Most of u r nt in d naija university system so u dt know how they kill dreams there.

If you are doing a research work in the school and using the school facilities you must follow the rules guiding such. Prof Iyawe didn't say he should have sown them the formula but atleast inform the school authority about it and keep your research work close to avoid leaks. The prof did the right thing( the cure ) the wrong way.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by moyems(m): 8:54am On Jan 10, 2013
Let's. Not judge the prof until we all hear his view on this latest allegation. I strongly smell fowl play. Reserve ma comments for now!
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by coruso(m): 9:02am On Jan 10, 2013
obyrich:

u sound like some one that hate anothers progress. don't forget you are in naija where sound minds are always brought down.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Ashmark(m): 9:12am On Jan 10, 2013
Let say majority of U who supportd d Prof graduatd frm College of Educatn or Polytechnic,becos I wil nt believe that a University graduate wil reason in support of the Prof.....Not possible....It is only some1 dt graduatd frm d University dt wil undastd..Shikena
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by JimmyBoy1: 9:15am On Jan 10, 2013
He should follow due process abeg, though does not mean his claims are false.
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 10, 2013
Other experts call for circumspection...

Minister, NACA DG, others call for caution, as don claims ‘cure’ for HIV

FOLLOWING the announcement by Prof. Isaiah Ibeh of the University of Benin of a ‘cure’ for HIV/AIDS, which he yesterday laid claim to, experts in the science and health sector are calling for caution, as the announcement of a vaccine breakthrough is a more serious business.

Minister of State for Health, Muhammad Pate, Director General of the National Agency for the Control of AIDS, Prof. John Idoko and former Vice President of Canada-based World Federation of Science Journalists, Diran Onifade all queried the scientific protocol followed in arriving in the ‘cure’.

Prof Ibeh of the University of Benin, had on Tuesday announced the development of a new drug which he claimed could cure HIV and AIDS.

Ibeh, dean of the School of Basic Medical Sciences of the university, claimed in at a news conference in Benin that the herbal drug had undergone ‘a series of successful tests’’.

He was quoted as saying, “we are at the threshold of making history, in the sense that we seem to have with us something that will permanently take care of what over time seems to have defied all solutions. We are talking about the latest discovery of an oral drug made from plants extraction in Nigeria for the possible cure for the pandemic, HIV and AIDS virus.”

He said the research on the project was started in 2010 and culminated in the development of “Deconcotion X (DX)–Liquid or Bioclean 11 for the cure of HIV and AIDS”.

“The existing retroviral drugs are intervention drugs for the management of AIDS but our new discovery is a possible cure. We have tried to look at the product first; its toxicological analysis and discovered that it has a large safety margin.

“This means that if animals or human beings are exposed to it, they will not suffer any serious harm at all from the exposure. It also helped us to know the quantity we can conveniently give to animals and will feel secure that nothing untoward will happen.

“We have also done the bacteriological analysis on it, after which we looked at its effect on the virus and the result was quite revealing and refreshing.’’

Ibeh also said that the drug had been exposed to series of medical examination both in Nigeria and in the U.S.A. He added that the drug had performed well on patients with the HIV virus and had shown evidence of total restoration of damaged tissues.”

Pate told The Guardian, “I also saw this latest claim of cure for HIV in the media. As you know there are well established standards required of evidence to support claims in orthodox medicine regarding new technologies, treatments or processes. I am not aware of the evidence behind this latest claim.

“If the scientist making this claim wishes to take this further constructively there are established fora and avenues for doing so, the FMOH’s NIPRID, NIMR and NAFDAC are each ready to appropriately support indigenous Nigerian scientists, who have something to offer.

TheGuardian Nigeria
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by dulphines: 9:25am On Jan 10, 2013
Obinnau: its not envy mister. Actually they are right, protocols need to be observed. But they should have made the matter an in-house têtê-a-têtê.

Most scientist that discovered drugs for several diseases did their work privately in their respective labs.
What the university ought to do is to verify and identify with him if his claim is right.
No need to start blabbng!!!
Re: UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim by omidhe(f): 9:30am On Jan 10, 2013
They are only trying to protect the life of the professor , HIV research dept won't allow a cure so quick , to worsen it , he is a black man .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Prize Of “Delivering Like The Hebrew Women”- Nigerian Health Blog / COVID-19: Enugu Govt Closes All Borders, Markets / 90-Year-Old Man In Jos Burnt To Death By Charcoal Fire (graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.