Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,066 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

How Necessary Are Big Weddings? - Events (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How Necessary Are Big Weddings? (13541 Views)

100 Million Budget: How The Very Rich Stage Fabulous Weddings / 12 Most Expensive Weddings In History / Exotic Bead Designs For Traditional Weddings & All Occassions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by TerrySoft(m): 10:22am On Mar 18, 2008
not necessary at all!
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by MsLurker(f): 2:10pm On Mar 18, 2008
I'm not into big weddings.

I want a small one. We can have a big party afterwards but the wedding I want small and private.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by bawomolo(m): 2:49pm On Mar 19, 2008
I'm not into big weddings.

I want a small one. We can have a big party afterwards but the wedding I want small and private

when Nigerians think about big weddings, they are usually talking about the reception.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 19, 2008
bawomolo:

when Nigerians think about big weddings, they are usually talking about the reception.
True.

Really don't mind a big wedding as long as our account doesn't enter the "reds" cos of it. Hey, someone can decide to bankroll it. i believe in miracles. tongue
c'mmoon pipo it's just one day. that special day of ma life. gotta rock! cool
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by MsLurker(f): 3:12pm On Mar 19, 2008
Really? Word.

Well, even if that sense. I'm not sure I want a HUGE reception either. I am not big on appearances unlike the rest of my family. Knowing my luck, I'll probably elope or marry in Vegas and call it a day. Ha.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by VeritasInV: 2:03pm On Mar 20, 2008
A big wedding in nigerian terms may mean inviting 500 to 3000 or more people to your wedding.

In nigeria this means if you think you have 200 people coming , ther may be 500 at the end of it.

A wedding is a ceremony witnessed by a priest a best man and a bridesmaid in the most intimate setting this would ba a small wedding.
If the families of the bride and groom attend fair enough they should. I do not however see the need for a wedding to be held at every vaileble open ground or peremises with 500 to 3000 peolple being present.

If the wedding is known to the families of the couple as well as a few friends.That should be enough and honestly is there any need to show of really.Which i what a nigerian wedding really is.

why not try and keep things nice at your wedding. and a little calm. Music okay but dancer and getting people drunk at a wedding. Also ending up having to worry about paying for the wedding may not seem relative but they can be bothersome. If you spend all you have on a wedding just to entertain people who are not in either family or friends. Many people seem to come just to eat at nigerian weddings and drink of course they mostly arrive just as the food i ready to be served. then come up with ''i couldnt find the place''.

Let us keep a wedding as what it should be a joyous occasion for the couple getting married and not a finnancial dissaster for two people who are getting married.

All this being said i understand the sociological and psychological thought behind having such large weddings in Nigeria,African Society.
but we could really still try to make a wedding seem normal and within limits of reasoning considering our futures.

NO LARGE OR BIG WEDDINGS ARE NOT REALLY NECESSARY.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by braindrain(m): 4:07pm On Apr 06, 2008
Marriage na the only institution wey them dey issue you certificate before you actually start the learning process, spending so much money on a school you are not sure of the end product is sure an unwise move, I stand with low budget wedding ceremonies jo! I hail una!!
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by banni: 3:39pm On Apr 30, 2008
braindrain:

Marriage na the only institution wey them dey issue you certificate before you actually start the learning process, spending so much money on a school you are not sure of the end product is sure an unwise move, I stand with low budget wedding ceremonies jo! I hail una!!

Good point.But even if somehow you feel sure its still a waste of money.
We have our own traditional wedding and then church wedding.But also we adopted another English man culture which is the reception.
Unlike the Englishman who a large wedding is 50 people ,ours is 500+ easily.And since we use open venues it means every privates and harry can stroll in and demand food and drink.
Another problem is some girls .They will say how much they love the man and everything and want to make things simple and easy for them and then go tell him he MUST bring 1m naira + for a wedding!
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by okenwa(m): 7:57pm On May 01, 2008
wedding or no wedding

nwa ka ego (pikin better pass money) or ego ka nwa (money pass pikin) that's how this SUBJECT sounds to me. . . . I don't have much comment.

you can marry silently (silent drill) or loudly (television advert).
na the day after the wedding na im you fit answer the question of how you should have married. . [big wedding?] or [small wedding?]
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by blaquie: 12:27pm On May 06, 2008
The main focus here should be the MARRIAGE(which is made up of just the two of you) and not organizing big society weddings which will only last for few hours.

Your CONCERN should be the journey ahead for the two of you and not to please the entire world or trying to make a name.

That is why we have so many broken marriages 2day

Please note:WEDDING IS JUST AN INITIATION INTO MARRIAGE.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by welli(f): 4:20pm On May 07, 2008
if yhu can afford it?y not!ephisim is ma tin nd if i can afford a big wedding nuttin is gonna stop moi
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by JoyceAgim(f): 5:11am On May 10, 2008
not that necessary,the most important thing is that u re married,you been chosen &lawfully wedded whether big or small. it doesn't matter.marriage na marriage.make those wey dey look for big wedding they der oo,they go dey look for big wedding tym go pass them and their papa go marry them as second wife.make them no go hussle.make them dey there.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by banni: 4:05am On May 13, 2008
Another thing that amazes me is that it causes tension too.
So often on one hand you have the girl wanting and insisting on big wedding and the man just getting annoyed and just going along with it.
This creates tension because the man starts feeling that how the marriage starts is how it will always be for the rest of their lives.
Best quote i seen was from a girl was this "i want to marry a man with as simple arrangement,stress and spending .Just a happy day for the 2 of us because thats how i want the rest of our lives to be".
Thats a quote from a Igbo girl for all of you who think that Igbo girls will only have big marriages!
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by chika98: 4:48am On May 13, 2008
Who said only igbo girls like big weddings? Na wa ooo
I don't see the need to have over a hundred people at my wedding sha. If you show up uninvited that means you're gonna stand because there would be no place for you to sit. It is not a bbq!
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by liquid7: 1:07pm On May 19, 2008
money dey waste.Make they go buy car or make they go buy land or make they start making blocks.
This big wedding nah just to create job for people who no want do better thing .
To give money to wedding planner make e tell you which colour you go wear ,Nigerians fit.Give money to relatives make they buy medicine ,they no fit.
Nah wa for Nigerians.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by stands: 11:30am On May 21, 2008
people tend to forget the importance of marriage, most think a successful marriage is determine by big ceremony forgetting that life after marriage is what counts. what's the point of having big ceremony after one or two month both couple goes their separate ways.
i must confess our ladies have this problem of big ceremony, so guys don't let your woman drain your pocket if not she will leave you for a heavier pocket.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by Godalone(m): 3:37pm On May 21, 2008
Big or mega wedding's celebration is a waste of resources.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by liquid7: 11:39pm On May 21, 2008
There are few good women in Nigeria who will be the first to say "waste 2m on wedding?make we go buy car" .Sadly this are few and honestly I think the majority of women insisting on big wedding are giving the man a wrong impression of their future together.
The once in a life time thing to be is rather a lame reason.How many times in your life will you have your first child?Should you bring CNN to your labour room because of that?
Think of the money you save and spent it wisely for the future.
Women need to grow up and accept reality .
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by RichyBlacK(m): 2:53am On May 22, 2008
liquid7:

There are few good women in Nigeria who will be the first to say "waste 2m on wedding?make we go buy car" .Sadly this are few and honestly I think the majority of women insisting on big wedding are giving the man a wrong impression of their future together.
The once in a life time thing to be is rather a lame reason.How many times in your life will you have your first child?Should you bring CNN to your labour room because of that?
Think of the money you save and spent it wisely for the future.
Women need to grow up and accept reality .

Thank you jare. All these big wedding can be really annoying!
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by liquid7: 5:12pm On May 25, 2008
the road ahead is all that matters
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by chinesedoll(f): 8:53pm On Jun 02, 2008
its vey very necessary
i dont intend getting married twice
so d only time am gonna go 2 d altar
i got to mark it big
ah ah

according 2 my friend ,
[size=28pt]BIG WEDDINGS IS THE WAY FOWARD  LOL [/size] grin grin grin grin
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by chika98: 9:12pm On Jun 02, 2008
Good for you
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by LauraB1: 2:22pm On Jun 03, 2008
Good topic, wedding preparation and all that is not an easy one at all, but too great minds think a like. Mine was a wonderful wedding. Simple and cute, lasted from 9.30 to 2.00 including church, snapping of pictures and reception. It was beautiful and simple lots of protocol boycotted. One thing is that we planned it within our resources, we didn't involve our families who would have made it more difficult, we had only one source of contact, the cake, food music, decoration, hall, food every thing at a place and of course, the church was near by the hall.
We invited just a bout 100 persons though the people that came were more than that but not too much. No need of sending bus to the village to transport the entire village after all, they were there during the trad, every body was given same treat and they were very comfortable,

There is beauty in simplicity, believe it. Just make sure every body you invited was well taken care of not inviting the whole world that will vex for you for not providing food for them. More over, if you want a simple wedding, just be time conscious, don't do it into the evening that will save you a lot. If you don't plan well, you will end up sending so much over nothing and plan on time, don't give contract to people are very far away from where you are. If you can avoid some family folks that will bring their friends who are in to this or that to ruin your wedding, just do it your own way.
Re: How Necessary Are Big Weddings? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 12, 2010
sometimes it depends on d home u come from n d perspective ur inlaws av with big or small weddings.most times its usually d grroms family (here in naija) dat foot 70 or 80 percent of d bills 4 weddings n d remaning 20 percent to d brides family n probably d bride herself.dis big n small wedding issue caused a big cintroversy between my cousin (our family) n her husbands side.d bride's mother my aunt wanted a big classy wedding dat will be d talk of town while d husbands family wanted a low key wedding not because dey couldn't afford a big wedding but because dey r quiet people who dont want 2 be noticed or like noise.my aunty eventually had her way but my cousins family were not really pleased but dey had 2 take it like dat since d bride is d owner of d day "wedding day". as 4 couple gettin married as far as naija is concerned dey dont really av a say cos its d parents/family dat will foot d bill.like d adage says he who pays d piper dictates d tune,except if d couple choose 2 foot d bills demselves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Classic And Elegant Wedding Decoration. / Party Small Chops,barbecue,continental Drinks,asun,chinese / Mass Burial For Benin-ore Expressway Auto Crash Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.