Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

University Courses That Are Waste Of Time - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Courses That Are Waste Of Time (89538 Views)

**MUST READ** Four University Courses Scrap / Free IT Courses That Will Enhance Career / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by hagma37yahoocom: 9:31am On Jan 12, 2013
Idriswhite: People go to university to study a course in hope of future amelioration. However,most of the many courses that used to be hot cake in time past are whitewashed with the influx of many people who just learn the course outside university in a matter of months.Going to university to study the following courses many deem to be a waste of time.The courses are:
Computer Science-countless number of people are in the known in this field.
Theatre Arts/Music- Theatre arts is a free entry and exit field.Most people in the industry have no degree in the field.
Animal Science-The course isn't marketable in a country like ours where people give no value to the life of animals.
Philosophy-This course is more valuable in the olden days where people appreciate the thinkers not in our present time.The situation of the country makes everybody a thinker to survive in this country.
Political Science:Spending years studying this course is a waste of time and resources.People are procedure conscious when it comes to politics.how many political scientists are in position of power to regulate the politics of our country.

Which course do you also think is a waste of time that you can not study as well as your family?
Was just passing by. i must drop my own piece,you a very big illiterate,how their you call those courses waste of time.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by sindyko(m): 9:35am On Jan 12, 2013
Only Į̸̸̨ƭ "U̶̲̥̅̊ could undastand wat Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ op mean. ​A̶̲̥̅♏ mechnical engneerin dat can repair or fix his car. Ħ☺w many elec elec dat can wire house. Ħ☺w many farmer own's his own farm. Ħ☺w many political studenT has becum Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ head of state.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 12, 2013
@OP
You say computer science is a useless post
That's a confirmation of you being a simpleton
Please google "silicon valley" and educate yourself!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by afroman23: 9:36am On Jan 12, 2013
Mujitapha: Mass communication.Nowaday any graduate of any course can venture into journalism

What is this guy saying.. You are very dumb, so just any graduate can go into journalism, Mr Man you need a brain check.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 12, 2013
Mustay: Because, we have underemployment - someone working in a place he didn't train for, it turns out to be like a round peg in a square hole; more of a misfit and misuse of skills. Hence, if you are unable to apply the knowledge and skills garnered in school to the real world, it is as good as being USELESS.

Anyway, the thing about going to school is that you just don't learn accounting like a poster posted, you learn other courses when you go to school so that school can go through you - this is quite different from a professional course like ICAN (as earlier used by the poster), a body that streamlines its syllabus to what candidates need to be professional accountants.

This is the more reason why one needs career counselling - criminology may not be appreciated in Nigeria but it's definitely worth it in countries that are serious about tackling crime and studying the thought processes of criminals in order to prevent future occurences. However, it must ve mentioned that one must follow his passion despite the underlying circumstances - studying what the society 'needs' SHOULD be considered later on in order to make ends meet.

Concerning the topic also, I would easily choose a course like CSC - this depends on the facilities in the school. What I do observe is that most schools have these features - inadequate facilities and outdated syllabi. The materials can easily be found online and I do not support one wasting 4 years for what someone can achieve at home and be more updated than you (undergraduate) are. If you however happen to be in such scenario, the bet is on you to 'up your game' and rely not on your syllabus or school curricula but to update your knowledge and skills to what the world is seeking solutions to and where the world is moving towards - think global, act local.

Peace. cool
intelligent MASTERPIECE!!!! great job bro

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by AK481(m): 9:36am On Jan 12, 2013
ogochukwunasa1:
dis eedioot shud be ban for this comment
Who bans the banner?
na mod u they folo talk ooo,u might end up being banned.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Burger01(m): 9:37am On Jan 12, 2013
Did I just see Computer Science on that list?! Anytime any day that course is hot cake..

3 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Phonon: 9:37am On Jan 12, 2013
Geophysics is a waste of time?What brand of weed are you smoking?
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by acume: 9:40am On Jan 12, 2013
Idriswhite: People go to university to study a course in hope of future amelioration. However,most of the many courses that used to be hot cake in time past are whitewashed with the influx of many people who just learn the course outside university in a matter of months.Going to university to study the following courses many deem to be a waste of time.The courses are:
Computer Science-countless number of people are in the known in this field.
Theatre Arts/Music- Theatre arts is a free entry and exit field.Most people in the industry have no degree in the field.
Animal Science-The course isn't marketable in a country like ours where people give no value to the life of animals.
Philosophy-This course is more valuable in the olden days where people appreciate the thinkers not in our present time.The situation of the country makes everybody a thinker to survive in this country.
Political Science:Spending years studying this course is a waste of time and resources.People are procedure conscious when it comes to politics.how many political scientists are in position of power to regulate the politics of our country.

Which course do you also think is a waste of time that you can not study as well as your family?
As you can see, what you study does not really matter these days, you are going to university to acquire knowledge in so many fields, you borrowed lots of courses for wider knowledge not necessarily your main course, i discovered that a political scientist works as bank manager, the fact is that he has gained certain degree of knowledge in his field of study that can establish and make him somebody in life. Many graduates decide to establish business on their own because they have the basic knowledge required to stand out even when the business is not relevant to their course, we should stop discouraging ourselves from some of these courses as what you think is not relevant now may be very useful tomorrow.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Lachynos2k2(m): 9:41am On Jan 12, 2013
@ OP i pity you,coz by the time nairalanders finish with u,u'll end up in an orthopaedic hospital.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ignis: 9:42am On Jan 12, 2013
F.klin:
....wen admission is a big problem inna we nation,Y ppl no go study anytn wey d skool gv dem...
That's the problem.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by oluwacjay: 9:44am On Jan 12, 2013
agabasam: Whenever i c d quote "no knowledge is wasted" i wonder who z decieving who....a knowledge u cant apply is wasted.............like going to d university to study dancing,really makes no sense to me...thats a natural talent...u develop it by joining groups....check all the top artist..hw many of dem attended a higher institution...and among d few dat attended,hw many studied theatre art or music......anoda of such study field is human kinetics, everydy u c dem playin futball as a form of lecture, or tennis...really funny....abeg jor.....
Yea man pple ar too sad 2 admit d truth. D most stupid course 2 study is Pol sci. I mean successful & corrupt politicians dint study dis course. Anoda is theatre arts, wit d likes of tonto DICke, in d industry, u just willied away time in schl. Most pple study senseless courses in Uni because JAMB permitted dem. Sme1 wu studied abroad cmes back after 5 yrs wit bsc, msc & 2 certificatns. U spend 6 yrs studyin a 4 ycourse, by d time u thru wit schl, & nysc, u canremember a thing. If u fink am lyin, ask banks Y dey hav a trainin schl were dey teach u wat u learnt in schl, & sme pple still dnt make it.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Burger01(m): 9:44am On Jan 12, 2013
@OP, I think I should ask you..are you a graduate? This beats my imagination and do you know what it takes to pass through a University irrespective of any chosen course?.. Rubbish...
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by eninaija(f): 9:44am On Jan 12, 2013
I BELIEVE THAT KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT RELEVANT TO A PERSON OR THE NATION IS A TOTAL WASTE!!! What is the usefulness of studying Religious Studies for 4yrs(plus strike)? In developed countries like England they review their courses and the ones that are no more relavant to the society is removed! In England in hardworking students can get their degrees in 2yrs. WHY ARE OUR universities not focused on teaching news courses like Nation building, SECURITY, Entreprenuership , ELECTRICITY generation etc so that the Youth can be beta equipped to be 'useful' to the Nigerian Society. To say no knowledge is a waste means we will continue to have pple dt will go to sch to waste years just 4 a certificate dt has not added value to their lives or the Nation. WHY learn what is no more relevant? The World is moving fast...can we move 4ward with the rubbish that pple r forced to learn in the name of certficate? NO! Dis is why we still have dull LEADERS WHO CAN'T THINK well...LacK OF COMMON SENSE!

2 Likes

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by jahonmatic(m): 9:46am On Jan 12, 2013
Wettin do hin English
waters2012: angry

Bros, ur english sef!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Westlord: 9:46am On Jan 12, 2013
I dont blame dis Dude or Damsel, A Nigerian believes he is in this world to exploit while an Ideal man believes he is to explore d world. He is just being a Nigerian; d@s why/because we dont apprc8 research & innovations in dis part of d world.
Pls I like Ur post bt let d mentality change, Nigeria is waitng 4 U & somany like U 2 change so we take our position. Cheers

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Kunlexic(m): 9:47am On Jan 12, 2013
chineji: Botany and geophysics and microbiology and environmental biology and history and theology and religious studies and architecture
look at dis dumblass,mentioning applied geophysics and m/biology as a waste of tym,who tell u so wen they hv seen u as a morgant/fool.2ndly there is no waste knowledge,dis is discouraging and misleading topic.......mtcheew.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by homerac7: 9:49am On Jan 12, 2013
tem_tem:

its either u dont know how to communicate ur point or u dont have one! After spewing ur rubbish and condeming others u still admitted there is a problem with those courses.....come who dash u visa to Uganda wey dey feel like......

i almost fell for your idiocy, but i realized that you happen to be another sub 68 IQ piont cretin strutting Nairaland and flying around a useless certificate from a university. I have seen many of your types and i can easily recognize one. abeg pass joor!
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by flowales(m): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2013
I think this thread should be removed sharply, Ignorant is really a disease...I do not see any course that is not relevant or useful to the system, if people are not doing a course it will open a void in the society. For example if nobody is studying History in school, some norms in the society will be lost and for a society to be balance, there are thing the younger generation ought to know about the past of the society they are living... If history is not important then documentation aint necessary .WWhy do we have research institute everywhere,because of globalization and change in norms of the society, I know the dude that bring this post will say he can send his son or ward to study international relation because of your level of ignorant meanwhile international relation is all about History,Political science,Economy and culture. All this discipline are interwoven, I study international studies as my first degree but its more of less like a history class cos many of my lecturers are even historian doing well and big in life... Finally I don't know, how you see the word being SUCCESSFUL! Not until youi have one billion naira bro, I have people that read animal science that are even richer than medical doctors or lawyers..ADMIN please remove this thread, this guy might confuse lot of peeps who don't really know why they are in a field.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ayoola2002(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2013
control_seven: *otu ocha!
@OP may TFU! (Tunder Fire You)
What is the meaning of this? if u dont know what to comment, pls stop behaving like animal, does OP force u to comment? I wonder which background u came from.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ALEBS(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2013
Goldenheart: APH......Animal pursue Hunter.
FWT......foolishness n waste of time

but you can work in the bank

Did you finish from FUTA?

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by otipoju(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2013
vanstanzy: No course in the University is a waste. undecided undecided undecided. Permit me to prove u wrong, its our weak @ss system in black Africa that has rendered these courses useless. After studying these courses u won't find a related job in Nigeria, but study same abroad especially in the western world and ur services will be hotcake.
The Nigerian system doesnt help@ all. I mean how can someone who studied vet. medicine or botany end up in the banking industry?
Because the best brains are needed for any organisation to make profit. If you trained as a botanist and excelled you could be retrained as a whatever and excel too.In any industry, there are the core functions and then the ancillary ones. All are relevant to the business. Eg. A telecomms company will have engineers who perform the core function of setting up and maintaining the carrier network,even if their work is fantastic people need to know and therefore they need marketers to identify and segment the market and give the public a good perception of the company.Sales and distribuition will bring the products within your reach.Customer service will deal with enquiries and resolve your problems with using the products.Corporate communications ensure free flow of information among all sectors and divisions.Finance looks for funds to carry out projects and ensures that no one pinches them.Fleet management unit ensures everyone gets to work and back home safe and on time.Legal takes care of legal matters etc.Human resources ensures that everybody gets paid for their sevices.For the entire system to work smoothly with the ultimate aim of making profits, the best hand and brains are needed..In the end everybody is relevant. Expand your thinking please.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Meegadough: 9:56am On Jan 12, 2013
pDude: Every course studied in Nigeria nowadays is a useless course.

Unless your relative has good connections in Nigeria, you are just wasting your 4 years in school. Lecturers dont even teach anything of relevance these days.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by bosunolu(m): 9:58am On Jan 12, 2013
No knowledge is a waste. Anyone who refuses to accept this fact should try ignorance.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Alexmania: 10:01am On Jan 12, 2013
slumbee: I agree that this is the dumbest post ever. I mean there should be a way to regulate post. A persob like this op should be on suspension. First of all what course did you study? Are you making six figure salary? Nigga how dare you say political science is a waste of time to study. i m going to refrain from calling you names, but nigga u re one dumb nigga. Where did you get the notion that the face you read political science you have to be a politician. To go ahead and study Yoruba in the university is not a waste of time either. You don't have the slightiest idea of the advantage of a university degree.
Nigga you so dumb, soo dumb. I mean what were you thinking?
bro no b fight, he postd it 2share nd 2 c wot pple wl write about it. Just an observation dnt go angresive wit it k.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Dells(m): 10:01am On Jan 12, 2013
As the saying goes "if U think Education is expensive,then try Ignorance"
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by BrutusOj(m): 10:04am On Jan 12, 2013
[quote author=jibol28]Mathematics alsm a waste of time[/quote u av problem..Engineers,Doctors,Pharmacist,etc wud neva be without Mathenatics,Physics,Chemistry n Biology..so don't dare mention any of d single Honor sciences
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by jenas0(m): 10:05am On Jan 12, 2013
u see one thing in life is ignorance,u cant compare a well schooled computer scientist with a road side 1,its just like comparing a native doctor with a Medical DOCTOR

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by nollywood20: 10:05am On Jan 12, 2013
[size=18pt]PLEASE, MAY I KNOW THE IQ OF THE ADMIN OR MODERATORS WHO PUT SUCH POSTS AS THIS AMONG THE HEADLINES ON THE HOMEPAGE?
THEY MUST BE AS RE-TARDED AS THE POSTER.[/size]

1 Like

Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Johnson6: 10:06am On Jan 12, 2013
all of u are crayz.i'm a successfu busines man.i can analyse busines and give econo.theory dt work.do ds mean Eco is waste of time because i nev study dt course
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by Alexmania: 10:06am On Jan 12, 2013
slumbee: I agree that this is the dumbest post ever. I mean there should be a way to regulate post. A persob like this op should be on suspension. First of all what course did you study? Are you making six figure salary? Nigga how dare you say political science is a waste of time to study. i m going to refrain from calling you names, but nigga u re one dumb nigga. Where did you get the notion that the face you read political science you have to be a politician. To go ahead and study Yoruba in the university is not a waste of time either. You don't have the slightiest idea of the advantage of a university degree.
bro no b fight, he postd it 2share nd 2 c wot pple wl write about it. Just an observation dnt go angresive wit it k.
Re: University Courses That Are Waste Of Time by ewosk: 10:13am On Jan 12, 2013
Even if specialization is not enforce much in Nigeria because certian sectors are not developed, do not make the above listed courses a waste of time...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / Bankers' Forum / Pay Structure of Most Nigerian companies as at February 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.