Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,911 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware (26452 Views)

A New Trick Scammers Use To Divert Your Phone Account Balance / Etisalat Now Charge 2.00 For Sms To Other Network / Ever Sent A Dirty Sms To The Wrong Person? What Happened Thereafter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 6:30pm On Jan 12, 2013
It started like this, I posted an advert for an iPad for. Sale on nairaland. I got a message on whatsapp from one individual claiming to be interested in the iPad.
After little deliberation we agreed on 84k and I will take care of transport.

He claims to stay in Aba so he requested for my account number which I sent to him. Few minutes later, I got a message from gtbank or so I thought of a deposit of 84k in my account. Having carried out many biz online, I proceeded to peace park in Onitsha to send the iPad to Aba. After deliberating with the driver, I gave him the scams name and phone number.

I left the park and headed for main market to get anoda phone and pay in some money for some one and I checked my account and low and behold, I found out that I have been scammed. I went straight to Gtbank and meet a customer care representative who told me that no payment was made into my account that yesterday.

I proceeded and called the driver but his number was switched off. After couple of tries at interval, I sent him a message telling him not to deliver the iPad to the person that was suppose to pick it up. He called me back and told me he switched off his phone cos the scam has been calling him on phone asking about his whereabouts. I explained to him and he said okay. I then proceeded to call the ikechukwu to be sure If he paid in any money into my account and he claimed he did.

I asked him to send the teller picture to a friend since I didn't have access to internet and she said he sent something but she couldn't see the names on the teller. She also said he sent her a teller number so I collected the teller number and called Gtactive and the lady I spoke with said she will send their port harcourt rd Aba branch an email cos he said that was where he paid in. She said I would receive another alert in 30mins if the money was actually paid in.

She also said that before an alert would be sent to someone, the money must have been credited into the person's account. This morning the driver called me and told me that the boy has been threatening him with EFCC asking him to deliver the iPad to him. After much waiting, I called the driver few mins past 5pm and he told me he was at the park.

So I went there and picked it up. He also showed me the messages the boy has been sending him threatening him with EFCC. I later learnt that you can customize and message using bulk SMS and that was how the boy customized the GTbank alert message he sent to me. It's a pity my iPad cannot upload pictures cos its still on version 5.1, if not I would have uploaded the gtbank credit alert I got. He claimed his name is Daniel Ikechukwu and his phone number is 07068080177.

I also googled his number and found out that his number has been listed as a number belonging to a scammer on nairaland.pls go to the link to see his other aliases and numbers...https://www.nairaland.com/1147706/nairalands-largest-scammer-observation...

so pls beware, our dear nairaland is full of scammers though there are some good ones have done business with.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Gboliwe: 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2013
This is BEAUTIFUL!
Its BREATHETAKING!
Could we have this pasted on the frontpage?
AMAZING!

2 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by YOUNGKAHUNA: 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2013
Nigerians Are So Creative.......Thanks For The Info.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by go4value(m): 7:20pm On Jan 12, 2013
CHIKADIBIA....2013 NO LOSS
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by ammyluv2002(f): 7:48pm On Jan 12, 2013
God will judge him, foolish guy. Wants to leap where he didn't sow. @ poster, I'm happy you were smart enough to sense d whole thing, thank God for the driver too. Please, let's all be careful. If you wanna sell anything make sure you are in the same state with the person that wants to buy, meet one on one with the person in an open place and don't go alone too. Nigeria dey grow everyday for crime.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Mcdondayan: 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2013
Thanks op, lets ALUU him
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by uboma(m): 8:35pm On Jan 12, 2013
op, tnx for sharing ur experience. This further highlights the need to be EXTRA cautious b4 doing any transaction online. It beats my imagination why some Nigerians can be so creative in scamming others instead of improving their lot in life and by extension our dear country Nigeria (through legitimate means)
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by FKO1(m): 8:42pm On Jan 12, 2013
u lucky o
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Francheezy(m): 10:19pm On Jan 12, 2013
w0w...th!z iZ amaz!ng...kud0s
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 12:16am On Jan 13, 2013
Front page pls cos this is serious
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by 4peace(m): 6:35am On Jan 13, 2013
Chei what a miss

This is a great chance to catch this fraudster
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by luluosas(m): 6:52am On Jan 13, 2013
OP, thank God your iPad was not lost to this useless scammer.
Yes, you can send a customize messages using free sms on the net with any name you like.
Please, next time you get any alert of deposit into your account, the authentic sms alert from your bank will display the amount deposited, by who and your current balance. But, a scam sms alert will only say so so and so amount was deposited into your account by so so and so without showing your current balance. Reasons that they don't have access to your account. Please be very careful next time.
However, I want you to report him to EFCC right away so that his likes will be a thing of the past in Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Suntemi(m): 8:53am On Jan 13, 2013
I'm sorry at OP but you are not smart at all. You got a SMS from GTBank without your current balance, and you believe it's from GTBank? You are lucky you got your iPad back.

3 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 10:44am On Jan 13, 2013
Bro...this is the SMS I got..transaction notification:84000 Cr (CASH DEPOSIT-) on 004*******. Your bal (receiving text)....if you were in my shoe wat will you think...I saw receiving text and thought more messages were going to come

2 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Suntemi(m): 2:20pm On Jan 13, 2013
Hmmm, Na wa ooo. Well next time just be careful sha. If the dude works with GTBank it would have been worst. Imagine checking your account bal before sending that SMS.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Phony200(m): 2:36pm On Jan 13, 2013
iBanking is free. Any transaction can be easily confirmed with a quick check on your account online. That said, vigilance is key. It happened to a friend of mine too during a car sale. Dude is in financial services so he caught on early enough. Lesson learnt. Nobody should come back and repeat this story say hunter shoot him bird with fake alert.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Chitexs250(m): 2:43pm On Jan 13, 2013
Phony200: iBanking is free. Any transaction can be easily confirmed with a quick check on your account online. That said, vigilance is key. It happened to a friend of mine too during a car sale. Dude is in financial services so he caught on early enough. Lesson learnt. Nobody should come back and repeat this story say hunter shoot him bird with fake alert.
Well said
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 13, 2013
Let me say u are lucky but not smart enough. Check ALL d gtb alerts u av been getting, which one ends with (receiving text) How many character be bank alert? Just 2 days after getting my bb, a guy said he wanted to buy an iPhone and collected my bank acct. he waited 1 day and pinged me dat he has just paid and I will get alert anytime soon. I told him not to worry dat I am going to check online but I was driving. I now decided to park to ask him d exact amount he paid, he don delete himself from my bb contact. All our chats gone!! Just because I said I will check online. This online transaction is not rocket science. D scammer is just being smarter Dan u. They are everywhere. Both buyer and seller.

7 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by femi4: 5:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
venorite: Bro...this is the SMS I got..transaction notification:84000 Cr (CASH DEPOSIT-) on 004*******. Your bal (receiving text)....if you were in my shoe wat will you think...I saw receiving text and thought more messages were going to come
Guy, I can never be in your shoe cos u r not smart enough.
If you have been receiving credit alert, you ll know that the text message suppose include your acc balance. Abi na NGN 0.00 dey your account ni
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by EEVICTOREE(m): 8:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
WTF (receiving text message) LMFAO. God save you that the dude don't know ur current acct balance, you for go dey follow Gtbank CC dey fight say u 100% sure he pay am. LOL.

ATM is everywhere to confirm any payment.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Gboliwe: 8:45pm On Jan 13, 2013
This thread should be on the front page for better awareness
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by ciphoenix: 11:45pm On Jan 13, 2013
Receiving Text? Hmmm. Quite Innovative i must admit

3 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 14, 2013
WTF! evil innovation
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by ufumes(m): 9:11am On Jan 14, 2013
The best remedy to this is by using a secret phone number while opening accounts. DON'T USE YOUR USUAL PHONE NUMBER. Also check the balance written on the new alert, (though some bank don't include total, unless on request). Also verify payment through other means like atm,online account, email alerts.

2 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by UNLEASHED(m): 9:12am On Jan 14, 2013
Good you acted fast enough and got your iPad back
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Gee001: 9:14am On Jan 14, 2013
At least thankGod u didnt lose ur gadget 2 d scammer n this will be an eye opener 2 u, me n others wen doing transactions that involves money and lastly, thank u 4 sharing.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Dreyl(m): 9:14am On Jan 14, 2013
op u re very lucky
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by SirGbogs: 9:20am On Jan 14, 2013
Some Nigerians are wicked. @op Thank God you didn't lose your device. Be more vigilant next time. Make sure you confirm in all possible ways.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Youngzedd(m): 9:28am On Jan 14, 2013
I'm an internet marketer and I do receive this kind of Poo, naija boiz and their behavior.

The only way to scare them is to ask for a scammed copy and you will never hear from him/her.

Moreover, I don't deliver any product without login into my account via internet bank, so if you are a seller you should have access to internet banking to avoid the unknown.

Others should learn from this, naija is not conducive for genuine biz that is why we are suffering from the hands of the whites with their restriction from their sites. Not only the politician, but we as a whole should amend our ways.

@OP go and give thanksgiving in your place of worship.

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by TheMatrix3: 9:31am On Jan 14, 2013
Lucky you...Its ok u survived the scam but like odas side, you no too smart.... muehehehehe(recieving texts indeed). That alone sef would have been a pointer. I came across dem once and after the guy sent me the alert, i asked him for recharge card to be calling him as i was in a bus... the fool quickly sent me #400. (compared to N120k worth of stuff he was gonna make, kini big deal grin) I sharp sharp use the credit call my baby...and deleted and blacklisted his numbers, not after threathning the m.daf3kcer...Ba lokaci grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by venorite(m): 9:47am On Jan 14, 2013
Thanks all....we learn everyday...I know better now

1 Like

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by charlsecy4(m): 9:50am On Jan 14, 2013
It's OK to physically confirm deposits. But alerts usually include total balance; the scammer may need information on previous balance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Upgrade 4.0.4 For Tecno P3, N3, And Other Gingerbread Device now available / Kiki Mordi Takes Storytelling At TECNO AFRIFF2019 MasterClass / How To know If Your Phone Supports OTG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.